epicodus-logo

Epicodus

Online, Portland, Seattle

Epicodus

Epicodus is a coding bootcamp offering part- and full-time courses online and in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. Students learn everything they need to know to get a job as a web developer by learning JavaScript, Ruby on, Rails, C#, .NET, and React. More important than any particular skill, cohorts are taught how to think like a programmer, write good code, and pick up new languages and technologies in this fast-changing industry. Epicodus focuses on collaboration and inclusivity. Students work together in pairs and teams almost every day, and a diversity, equity, and inclusion approach is a core part of the program design.

Epicodus's courses also include job search preparation for students. Career advisors meet one-on-one with every student to review resumes and cover letters, practice interviewing, and even go over job applications in class. After completing the coursework, students are placed in hand-selected internships with tech companies at no extra cost, allowing them to begin their job search with coding experience already on their resumes.

Recent Epicodus Reviews: Rating 4.69

all (174) reviews for Epicodus →

Recent Epicodus News

Read all (11) articles about Epicodus →
  • C# and React

C#, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL, React.js
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks (or 150 hours) at an internship with a tech company. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    January 03, 2023 - Online
  • C# and React (Part-Time)

CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, React.js, C#, MySQL, GitHub, .NET, SQL
    Start Date January 03, 2023
    LocationPortland, Seattle, Online
    We offer our full certificate program in a part-time format. This track covers the same material as the full-time program. Our part-time program starts with 40 weeks of class from 6-9pm Pacific Mondays to Wednesdays and 9am-5pm Sundays. Afterwards, we’ll support you in preparing for and securing yourself an internship; you'll put in 80 hours of preparation and at least 150 hours at your internship, on a schedule of your choosing. Each track begins with an Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll learn Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will learn C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity.
    January 03, 2023 - Online
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time)

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, GitHub
    LocationOnline, Seattle, Portland
    This course is for absolute beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic webpages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Here's some of what we'll cover: HTML and CSS: the presentation and styling languages of the web Git: the tool programmers use to track their code Command line: the tool programmers use to interact with their computers Markdown: a simple language for documents JavaScript: the programming language of the web jQuery: a JavaScript library for making interactive web pages Bootstrap: a framework for easily creating good-looking websites

Minimum Skill LevelNone
  • Ruby and React

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Rails, React.js, REST, Ruby, Sinatra, SQL
    Start Date January 03, 2023
    LocationPortland, Online
    Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks (or 150 hours) at an internship with a tech company. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    January 03, 2023 - Portland
  • Ruby and React (Part-Time)

SQL, Ruby, React.js, Rails, Node.js, HTML, GitHub, Git, CSS
    LocationOnline, Portland
    We offer our full certificate program in a part-time format. This track covers the same material as the full-time program. Our part-time program starts with 40 weeks of class from 6-9pm Pacific Mondays to Wednesdays and 9am-5pm Sundays. Afterwards, we’ll support you in preparing for and securing yourself an internship; you'll put in 80 hours of preparation and at least 150 hours at your internship, on a schedule of your choosing. Each track begins with an Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll learn Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will learn Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity.
  • Sergii Mertsalov • Software Developer • Graduate

If you're just getting started with programming or struggling to learn it on your own then Epicodus is definitely the way to go. Without prior coding experience working a full-time job, it was quite a challenge to get myself going on programming. After a few months of wrapping my head around with Javascript and Ruby, I realized that in order to accelerate my learning process and make it more fun I needed to collaborate with other self-learners like me and make my studying full-time. Here's where Epicodus comes in.

The course is structured that way that you get challenged enough every day by working on real projects with a partner. The instructors are always around to make sure that nobody gets stuck and to clarify any stuff you don't understand. After finishing each section you are encouraged to complete a coding assignment (it is not required but highly recommended). This way you can indicate whether you’re ready to move on or need to spend a few more days on the previous stuff and also get a feedback from instructors on your piece of art :) There are also weekly check-ins with instructors to make sure that you’re doing alright and going at the right pace. Michael, the founder of Epicodus, and the instructors always try to make students’ experience better, so any ideas and feedback from students are taken into account.

At the end of the program most of the students (if not all) get a one-month internship in one of the local companies. Some of them get hired there afterwards. For those who don’t Epicodus provide job support by sending out new opportunities daily, setting up mock-up interviews, checking in cover letters and resumes. After finishing my internship, I spent about a month before I landed my first job.

Epicodus was the best learning experience I’ve ever had and I can’t emphasize it enough. I recommend it to anybody who want to learn how to code and start a new career in programming.

• Hunter Meyer • Software Engineer • Graduate

I picked Epicodus because at 17-weeks it was the longest of any other bootcamp I could find. This was important to me as it meant we would spend more time digging into the programming languages, developing good habits, building more projects, and exploring more technologies.

This type of in-depth immersion into programming gave me the skillset to build and develop applications, side-projects, and interact with other professional developers with confidence.

Employers could tell Epicodus produces great talent as I landed a full-time software engineering position in Atlanta within a month of graduating.

I recommend Epicodus to anyone looking to become a professional developer and want to get the most bang for their buck. Epicodus sets real-world expectations but over-delivers on results.

• Liz Tom • Creative Technologist • Graduate

Before Epicodus I was working freelance in the entertainment industry and knew nothing about web development.  I decided to take the risk and move to Portland to take Epicodus.

The course is set up so you watch videos at night and work through various problem sets during school hours.  There were times that I was frustrated when I didn't get clear answers from the instructors but have come to appreciate that a lot.  They were teaching us how to problem solve.  The course is set up to help you get a job as a developer and I've definitely used the problem solving skills I learned at Epicodus at my new job.  We learned by pair programming.  While I was nervous with pairing with a stranger everyday, I quickly found some great friends in my program.  I'm pretty sure I learned as much from my classmates as the instructors.

Job Support:
    At the end of the course, the instructors helped us with our LinkedIn profiles, resumes and online presence in general.  I never felt like I was floundering while searching for jobs.   Epicodus was there helping me find job openings and helping me with my interview skills.  Even though I'm in Washington DC right now, I know that if I ever wanted to return the area that Epicodus would be there for me to help me out in my job search.

Overall I had an amazing experience at Epicodus.  Be ready to be thrown in and don't expect a lot of hand holding.  Even though you might not understand why some days are not more structured, in the end I believe it's made me a better developer.  Epicodus is 100% the reason I've been able to transition careers smoothly.  The price is also an amazing part of the program.  I moved to Portland and paid for the course and I still ended up paying less some more expensive bootcamps.

• Aaron • Graduate

I attended Epicodus not knowing what to expect or what I would get out of it. Now, looking back, I can accurately say that Epicodus teaches the right way. The program is designed to provide structure and support without coddling or providing more than necessary. The best way to learn is through experience and Epicodus enabled me to experience failures in a way where I felt secure enough to push through them on my own but had the support of students and staff there to support me if I needed it. The program pays great attention to providing you with professional opportunities after it ends through their internship program and even to this day almost a year later I still am contacted by the staff asking how I'm doing, if I need anything and keeping me plugged into their network. If you're on the fence, apply already.

I entered Epicodus as a complete beginner. I had studied and prepared for class, but other than that, I zero background in anything related to computer science. Epicodus is an intense 40hr/wk Javascript/Ruby on Rails class that involves pair programming every day, along with extensive practice with test driven development. The best part about Epicodus is the hands-on learning every single day. No lectures, just coding all day long, which is great preparation for a programming job. I know I learn best while actually making and creating things, and this was no different. Our teachers were supportive and helpful, but even more than that, they had a great sense of when to help us, when to give us some thinking points to prod us along, and when to let us figure it out for ourselves. Epicodus has a wonderful staff who are dedicated to doing all they can to help junior devs get their start in the tech industry. I had an excellent internship experience, which Epicodus organized. Quitting my job and attending Epicodus is one of the best decisions I’ve made.

• Andrew Westling • Intern Web Developer • Graduate

Epicodus was a really good way to get my mind online. I did Epicodus in my first summer after graduating from architecture school — I naturally gravitate toward designing experiences and systems, but I realized about halfway through my degree that I was in the wrong domain and I wanted to move toward making digital things. I just needed a good environment in which to start learning, and Epicodus provided that for me.

I already had an pretty strong interest in the web before going. Hadn't made much with code before, but I had a rudimentary understanding of the bones of the web, and a weird background in studying philosophical issues of the internet (like property, privacy,  identity, etc) so that was helpful. Also had an high-level understanding of visual design from my degree, but take note that Epicodus isn't focused on cultivating or building design skills.

I treated Epicodus like an investment in myself — I was hoping to get a development job afterward (I did), but I figured that at the very least, I would be able to build my own web experiments and use those to show prospective employers my process for other projects.

Pair programming every day, well-designed curriculum, help when you need it, other learners around you, an awesome location, and a lot of career support. My internship company hired me so I didn't do a lot of interviewing aside from the rapid-fire week of internship interviews, but I'm employed and that's awesome considering I didn't know how to code six months ago.

• Nick • Junior Front-end Web Developer • Graduate

In Portland alone, there’s no shortage of web development course to choose from. Epicodus really stands out due to the learning environment, post-graduation support, and value.

The course is structured around pair programming with fellow students. You learn a lot about problem solving, patience, and how to relate to all different types of people when you code full-time all day with a partner. In addition to help from in-class instructors, there are weekly talks from folks in the web development community. I learned an incredible amount about programming in three months and built up a substantial portfolio of sample work, but the most important thing I learned is how to learn how to program. Languages and frameworks are always going to change, and Epicodus helped me develop the skills to keep learning.

Most students have the opportunity to do a month-long internship when the course is over. I was lucky enough to get a job at the company I interned for, but the Epicodus staff works very hard to find and create opportunities for their students as junior web developers at local companies. I had relatively little experience with programming before starting Epicodus, and one of my biggest worries was not finding a job after the class was over, but there’s a ton of demand in Portland for folks with the skills and experience my fellow students and I gained.

The time and money investment was relatively low compared to other schools--and especially compared to college courses--and it definitely paid off. I can’t recommend it highly enough!

• Excellent
    - 2/3/2015

• Anne • Graduate

If you are looking to change your career and interested in software industry but too afraid because you don't have a CS degree and going back to college is not an option, well, Epicodus is an answer for you.

I never thought that it would turn out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Epicodus is very effortable comparing to other bootcamps.

• Patti • Software Engineer • Graduate

I have my degree in Marketing and worked in an office for a few years before deciding I wanted to move on and try something else. While going back to school, a friend of mine told me about her experience at a web development bootcamp. After a bit of research online, and a lot of support from my husband, I decided to apply to Epicodus (it had a more diverse curriculum and for a much better price than the other programs I found online). The choice between spending $50K and 3 years earning a second degree or attending a 4 month long bootcamp for a fraction of the price with skills I could use right away, was easy.

Prior to the program I had basic HTML and CSS skills and by the end I had a well rounded full stack familiarity. The program is challenging - 8 hours every day paired with a partner trying to figure out programming problems can be wearing - but the effort is definitely worth it. We had access to Michael and two instructors when we had questions. They do a great job of giving you the space and encouragement to solve things on your own, but guide you in the right direction when you really need help.

Michael and the instructors spent countless hours setting up internship opportunities for each Epicodus student. I got a three month long summer internship with a great company in downtown Portland when the program was complete. I am now working alongside my husband, a senior developer, on our own web development company as well as working on our first consumer web product. I would highly recommend Epicodus to anyone considering a career in programming.

• Corey • Graduate

Epicodus is a fantastic bootcamp. The cost is very competitive, and the quality of instruction is absolutely first rate. I joined the program in the spring of 2014, and got my first paying programming job 2 months after I graduated. It wasn't an easy walk in the park though. When I finished the program I spent most of my days developing a side project and most of my nights sending out applications until I finally landed that job. But Epicodus was right there by my side every step of the way even after graduation. As long as you're willing to put in the work the staff at Epicodus is willing to support you as best they can. They're just as invested in your success as you are.

Epicodus Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 34 graduates included in report:

50% of job obtainers reported salaries. 6% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read Epicodus' full CIRR Outcomes Report here