cultivating-coders-logo

Cultivating Coders

Albuquerque

Cultivating Coders

Cultivating Coders is an Albuquerque-based intensive 8-week coding bootcamp focused on web application development fundamentals and technical training. During the program, students work on projects to help local non-profit organizations in the community. Cultivating Coders aims to prepare each student to be a junior level web developer upon graduation, and has relationships with technology companies and agencies to help graduates find employment.

Cultivating Coders wants to bring coding classes to the rural, Tribal and city areas where this sort of training is not yet available, and help increase the number of minorities in the technology industry. Cultivating Coders is a registered Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act training provider.

Recent Cultivating Coders Reviews: Rating 4.19

all (37) reviews for Cultivating Coders →

Recent Cultivating Coders News

Read all (3) articles about Cultivating Coders →
  • High School Summer Bootcamp

LocationAlbuquerque
    Full Stack Web Development (MEAN STACK), Full time course 8 weeks long. 2017 Locations: Gallup, NM; Farmington, NM; Albuquerque, NM; Clarksdale, MS Check the schedule on www.cultivatecoders.com
    Tuition PlansN/A
    Refund / GuaranteeN/A
    ScholarshipScholarships available in select areas. Email info@cultivatecoders.com for more info.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer skills and proficient typing skills.
  • Rebecca C.

The program is awesome if you put the time and effort in to get the most of what they have to offer. Most days I was putting in between 10 and 12 hours studying and working on projects, but it pays off. I highly recommend going to a Cultivating Coders camp, but be ready to work like crazy if you want to get results.

• Love to code
    - 5/15/2017
    Mónique

Cultivating Coders changed my life. I learned the basics of programming and I think what makes the program so different is that people there are truly passionate about coding and see it as a lifelong craft. I thank all the people I've learned with.

Learn love code <3

• Joe Teitelman • Graduate

This Web development Bootcamp could not have been any worse.  If you are skeptical about the veracity of my extremely negative comments about Cultivating Coders along with its owner, Charles Ashley, I'd advise you to check out the Cultivating Coders website: you'll discover that Cultivating Coders lacks a basic curriculum, a syllabus, and even fails to provide a basic outline of the material to be covered in its Bootcamp.

Personally speaking, I registered for the 2016 Bootcamp taught at the Albuquerque Hispano Chamber of Commerce.  The class consisted of 11 students -- each and every one of whom found the Bootcamp experience horrific.  According to owner, Charles Ashley, the course was to focus on the MEAN stack.  MEAN refers to Mongo DB, Express, Angular, and Node. The students received Certificates of Achievement following the completion of the Bootcamp, specifically indicating (demonstrated) competence with respect to each of these four technologies. Ironically, however, the instructors failed to offer any instruction on either Mongo or Angular.  After receiving numerous student complaints/grievances, Ashley initially offered to take an additional weekend of time to teach Mongo and Angular. Ultimately (and predictably, however), Ashley predictably failed to keep this promise.

The job placement rate among these 11 students continues to stand at 0% -- a rather remarkable feat.

At this point in time, Cultivating Coders no longer offers Web Development Bootcamps with one exception: Cultivating Coders offers Bootcamps to minority Native American, High School students -- students who lack the sophistication to discern that Cultivating Coders is nothing more than a sham, a scam, and taught by fraudsters.

In sum, Cultivating Coders instructors are entirely incompetent.  They don't even take the time to prepare their lectures beforehand.  One of the instructors and co-owners of Cultivating Coders no longer works for this company: his first name is Charles -- I cannot recall his last name.

While I can go on and on about this sham and scam that goes by the name, "Cultivating Coders," I'll stop by simply and strongly advising potential students to refrain from enrolling in Cultivating Coders Bootcamps.  PLEASE: TAKE THE TIME TO CHECK OUT THE CULTIVATING CODERS WEBSITE.  You will find that Cultivating Coders entirely fails to provide any information about its Bootcamps -- a strategic decision by Cultivating Coders, so that it's more difficult for students to hold Cultivating Coders accountable.

Key facts to take away: (a) with the exception of several Native American High School students, zero Cultivating Coders' former students have found employment as Web Developers; (b) with respect to Cultivating Coders' most recently offered Bootcamp -- Web Development and the Android Platform --  suffice it to say that the entire class of students had signed a petition decrying the horrendous course instruction; (c) PLEASE CHECK OUT THE CULTIVATING CODERS' WEBSITE --  YOU'LL DISCOVER THAT THE WEBSITE CONTAINS ABSOLUTELY NO INFORMATION ABOUT THE CULTIVATING CODERS' BOOTCAMPS.  That's enough for now.

• sheila michel • Student

While attending class, I was extremely impressed with the atmosphere and how comfortable i was. It was a pleasure to learn different levels of coding and more experience in computers.

• Quinones, M • professional • Student

Cultivating Coders is currently in the completion phase of their Android course in Albuquerque NM. Each student spend approximately $7500.00 -7900.00 for this course.

Charles Ashely was forewarned early on that the instructor was effectively not versed in Android technology, all the computers provided as part of the purchase totally failed in its ability to handle the software, the instructor was often absent, did not fulfill promises such as supplying comprehensive write-ups for material he did not teach, did not supply any (none at all) teaching material, no homework, no practice on what little was taught...the list goes on. Charles Ashely's answer to this problem was to present himself to the entire class to criticize the students for "being the worst class....hey, you came to me not the other way around".....

Weeks later, Charles Ashely still had not addressed the concerns. Finally and without any choice, our class signed a petition against him and the instructor (John Borden) asking for an explanation, a refund and / or solution.

Charles Ashely now wont even present himself to the class to at least offer an explanation. This is not a business person doing good for himself and others. Charles found a cash-cow and as long as he gets your money, the rest is not consequential. This is the impression he leaves. He has not addressed the class petition against him.

Make sure your contract allows you a refund in the event the same occurs to you. More so, attend a program from a well established entity and with a respected reputation.

Cultivating Coders and Charles Ashely are not worth the time or effort. Do not attend.

• Great experience!
    - 9/30/2016
    Timothy O • Graduate

I went into the course knowing basic stuff about computers none of this coding stuff but after completing the bootcamp I felt I knew enough to build on and add more too, so many great opportunities have been opened up to me thank you all!

• Aaron Garza

The first week I thought I would die..but the teachers really were receptive to my needs and took an active role into helping me build my dream site and my dream future...I now will have a chance to have a future where I can be financally succure and live a better quality of life. I now have a way to take my talents and reach the dreams and asperations that could never have been reached without this class...Thank You so much for believing in me=)

• Charles Duane Ulibarri • Cultivating Coders Graduate • Graduate

If you have the opportunity to attend a Cultivating Coders boot camp, do it! Cultivating Coders literally changed my life. You will learn the skill set to build responsive websites. This skill set includes, but is not limited to mySQL, PHP, JavaScript/Angular, NodeJs, CSS and HTML. The lead instructors Charles Sandidge (who is also co-founder and CTO of Cultivating Coders) and John Borden are exceptional. They truly care about their students. Not everyone learns at the same pace. Charles and John adjust the curriculum to keep everyone caught up. They will even stay after hours if you need help. Charles also introduces the students to the coding community by letting us know about meetings that are held around town that further our development. We even took a field trip! The assistant instructors, Krieg, Aarick, and Dana are always there to help you one on one. They make sure you understand the material before they go help another student.

If you want to learn a skill set that will reward you with a great career, Cultivating Coders is the way to go. I plan to continue studying coding with the help of my mentors, Charles and John who I now call my friends.

• Dam Cap'n • Owner/Operator • Graduate

Great intro course to coding! I went in knowing almost nothing about writing code. I came out with a firm grasp on building and launching responsive web sites. The teacher/student interaction was great. Help was always readily available even after hours! the networking also will be very helpful to my future as a web developer. Thank you John, Charles, Krieg, Chase, Dana, and Kyle for all the knowledge!

Dam Cap'n~

• A new Chapter!
    - 6/30/2016
    Justin Hildreth • Graduate

This is one of the very amazing an awesome bootcamp that i ever took. I now have the ability to work on some computer/ websites, knowing how to start one up from scratch an making it look the way that i want it to look I have some good skills in the backend of website building all thanks to this bootcamp. This is one job that i would have never seen myself in, but all thanks to my great instructors i now a Web developer.

• Amber Lee • Graduate

Cultivating <Coders > has given me this great new start in my life to becoming a web designer. learning to code was amazing, this sure gave me a great career in my future life thanks to the intrustors to taking time out of there own time to teach us within 8 weeks of learning how to code the basics of html to javascript... this class is sure a great class to take!!!

• A new beginning.
    - 6/28/2016
    Aarick Lameman • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

I've really enjoyed taking the Cultivating Coders Bootcamp classes in Farmington, New Mexico. Learning about mobile and web developing curriculum has changed my life in a way that there are more opportunties than I have had before I graduated the course. I'm really thankful for this opportunity to help my family become financially stable. Also being able to take and share this knowledge of computer coding to my family members whom may be interested in the program is a true honor.

I strongly recommend the Cultivating Coders Bootcamp program for any individual who is interested in computer coding. It will change your life for the better, and more opportunities will be available.

Ahe'ee, thank you to the Cultivating Coders Instructors and fellow classmates for the love & support to get through the 1st 8 week coding bootcamp together, and for that I am truly grateful. .