craft-academy-logo

Craft Academy

Gothenburg, Online, Stockholm

Craft Academy

Craft Academy offers two, 12-week bootcamps based in Stockholm and Gothenburg, Sweden: Full Stack Web Developer and Cybint Cybersecurity. Full Stack Web Developer students will complete a part-time 4-week preparatory course before beginning the bootcamp. Cybint Cybersecurity students will complete a 1-week preparatory course. The Cybint Cybersecurity bootcamp is delivered in a blended on-campus and online format. Every Friday, all bootcamp students will receive a weekend challenge to complete before the next week of class.

The Full Stack Web Developer bootcamp curriculum covers Agile software development methodologies and modern frameworks, including HTML5, JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React, Semantic-ui, React Router, and React Native. Full Stack Web Developer students will learn about APIs, external libraries, websockets, Heroku, and techniques such as continuous integration and continuous deployment. Students will build several projects to add to their portfolios, including a complex final project utilizing all the skills students will learn during the bootcamp’s duration. Students will create a portfolio and receive career services, such as CV review, job interview coaching, and several lectures about technical work and the marketplace.

The Cybint Cybersecurity bootcamp is designed to prepare students with little to no background in IT for entry level Cybersecurity jobs. This bootcamp was developed around military training methodologies and hands-on learning. Cybint Cybersecurity students will learn the basics of network traffic, hardware components of topology, network and routing protocols, and hands-on operation of a computer network and equipment. Cybersecurity students will also learn network mapping and os fingerprinting. telecommunication concepts and range. system and network admin concepts, management principles and controls, hands-on creation and use of virtual machines and bootable USB OS. Cybersecurity students will learn threats, attacks and tactics, security strategies, cyber defense, forensics, and ethical hacking. The bootcamp ends with students working on a hands-on scenario. Cybersecurity bootcamp students will receive assistance with technical and soft skill job interview preparation.

Craft Academy cohorts begin every 8 weeks, and applications are continuously reviewed. The decision-making process takes about two weeks and includes an interview.  Craft Academy gives all online bootcamp students a Nomads Pack, which includes everything students need to set up their home office, including a computer, a second screen, webcam, headset, cables, and school swag.

Recent Craft Academy Reviews: Rating 4.82

all (76) reviews for Craft Academy →

Recent Craft Academy News

• Full Stack Web Developer Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, Product Management, Mobile, CSS, React.js, Front End, Ruby
    Costkr99,500
    LocationOnline, Stockholm, Gothenburg
    Students will learn Agile software development methodologies along with modern frameworks including HTML5, Javascript, Ruby on Rials, React and React Native.
    DepositA 10% deposit is charged at approved registration.
    Refund / GuaranteeWe proudly offer a 5% discount to female bootcamp participants. Our industry needs more female developers and we want to do everything we can to help women succeed on their coding journey.
    Prep WorkDuring the prep course, you'll work from home with our materials. Expect to spend about 15 to 20 hours each week in the month before bootcamp begins.

• Great experience!
    - 5/23/2017
    Felix Ottander  User Photo
    Felix Ottander • Business owner • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This course is one of the best things I´ve done in a long time. It is really intense and you really have to devote yourself to the course. They teach you the best practices when it comes to programming these days. The coaches are really devoted to the craft of coding and I noticed that the first day to the last and that´s extremely important when it comes to teaching. I haven´t been much for school before but this is an entirely different way of learning that I like a lot.
    The last project of the course was a group project where the whole cohort produced an app and web-based service that was really good and we did it in only two weeks, which is cool and impressive both from the cohort and the coaches. No matter who you are I would definately recommend you to do this course.

• Bootcamp Review
    - 12/28/2020
    Connor Roelofsen  User Photo
    Connor Roelofsen • Student Verified via GitHub
    Why I chose Craft Academy:
    I found Craft Academy after I began learning Python through books. I realised the most efficient way of learning was repetition, practice and having some sort of a mentor. I wasn't wanting to spend 4 or so years to get a degree in a field where it's possible to show knowledge without paper. I was looking for an environment where I could work in a team and work in real life situations and projects. Craft Academy offered all the things I was looking for.

The curriculum and process of learning can be very efficient, getting introduced and taught about a certain topic/language, then using what you've learnt within a project. There is a lot that goes into the 12 weeks and various processes that you are taught to follow early on on the camp. You really need to have full dedication to this Bootcamp with as little distractions as possible, it's close to 3 months of hell but you can learn a lot. Something to also mention is that a majority of the time you're split up in teams such as Team A and Team B with 4/5 members each and Team A splits further into pairs of 2/3 so it's up to you to learn whatever you miss out from the other pair. Same goes for learning from from Team A to Team B, both teams do thing's differently so it's possible to learn even more if you have the time.

Who should do this?
    Regarding knowledge, anyone should do this, if you have a passion or interest for development this type of course is for you. I cannot stress this enough, you neeed to be fully free for this course, it is incredibly time consuming and mentally draining at times.
    I would also say being comfortable with English is a big plus, theres a lot of theory, reading and talking done and it would be tiring to have to always thing twice as much.

Would I do it again?
    I'd purely do it again just to learn all the things I missed out on. I'm happy with what I've learnt in such a short period but I feel there was too much that I missed or just didn't have the time to get to.

Overall thoughts:
    Great curriculum and content, pretty decent support from coaches, can be very stressful depending how you handle it but if I look at my first project compared to my last and current projects I'd say it's worth it for the overall experience and knowledge.
  • Sebastian Niewiadomski  User Photo
    Sebastian Niewiadomski • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Before l attended to the boot camp. What l had in my mind was, is 100k really worth a 4 months education. Will l learn much and be able to get a job offer once l am done? I am sure whoever reads this thinking about joining thinks the same. Let me tell you that this is really worth it.

I recently finished the boot camp and honestly l feel so proud and happy over myself for doing this. It was such a hard journey and it has been a lot of ups and downs during the boot camp. But with the teachers support and how dedicated they are for you to succeed, we all made it.

You learn more than you know. It goes in such an intensive pace that you never have the time to take in and think about how much you have learned. I realized that when l was done with the education. From not knowing anything about coding to knowing how to build my own application using front end and back end.
    That they use a test driven approach is also such a bonus that they taught. Not every company uses that and it will sure be something extra you will have to offer in the future.

I would really recommend anyone out there that are interested in starting a new career as a developer. It is a hard education but it gives you a lot. I graduated 3 weeks ago and l have already got calls from companies that got interested of how much we learned at Craft Academy.
  • Robin Lillqvist  User Photo
    Robin Lillqvist • Junior Frontend Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I learnt a lot during these past weeks and I really can chime in with the choir when they say that it is a fast pace and you have to really "Live" coding during these weeks. But it is rewarding in the end, and for me landed me my first coding job at my current workplace where I before worked as a QA.

Since I knew some programming (Mainly HTML, CSS and some Javascript) before applying I think I had an easier time during this bootcamp than some, and to some degree I recommend having that. It will allow you to quicker start sprinting along this bootcamp curriculum than someone that has no idea what coding is. But if you are eager to learn I saw plenty of people doing just as well as I did.

One of the best moments for me was doing the larger assignments where I got lucky and ended up with a great gang of guys with the same sense of humour. Since there basically is no free time during this bootcamp, it's imperative that you end up with like minds that work well together. We ended up doing the final project together, and that really helped keep the motivation up during the last 2 weeks of the bootcamp where we basically coded from 8 to 22 to get it done.

I do want to stress that, THERE IS NO FREE TIME during these 3 months. And don't underestimate that. As a husband and a father I felt it was hard to neglect my loved ones at home during this time, and that weighed on me. So if you have kids, take that in mind.

The positives:
    • Learning Javascript and React. This is why I was here, and I loved how much you get to work with it.
    • Even if you focus more on learning the frontend parts, like me, you still get the understanding and you know what the backend does.
    • We got to make mobile apps! I worked with the Ionic framework and that was easy to develop with.
    • We learnt to work in small agile teams (sort of) doing all the scrum activities like stand-ups, requirement analysis, retrospectives etc.
    • We were pushed to prove to ourselves that we know what we're doing by DELIVERING projects.
    • Lots of nice contacts from your fellow students. You should use those to help each other to get a job. Very valuable!
    • I learnt a lot, and in the end it landed me a job! And isn't that what we're all aiming at?

So, to the negatives:
    • The curriculum changed after we applied, were we where promised to learn React Native. This was one of the reasong to why I went for this bootcamp instead of perhaps Technigo. Instead we got to work with Ionic which is fine and all but it's not as well established (easy to get a job) as React Native. In the end we got to test it out during the bootcamp, but not enough and it felt like an after thought since we had been complaining.
    • Learning Ruby for the backend instead of something more in demand like Node.js, that would have helped us get a job easier. Yes, it was easy to get into, and that's most likely why we got to learn JS and React as much as we did. But there's not much demand for Ruby(o.R). It's a shame.
    • Some students got waaaaay more help than others. And by that I mean, 24/7 assistance from some coaches, even on weekends. It was frustrating seeing that favouritism when you were struggling on your own project and no coach is to be found.

So to conclude:
    You eat shit sleep code.
    You won't have time to see your friends or family.
    You will feel like a thanks giving turkey being stuffed with knowledge.
    You get to take responsibility for your own learning.
    You will meet new friends in the same position as you.
    ...and in the end you'll get a t-shirt that says Junior Fullstack Web Developer.
  • Odeane Croney  User Photo
    Odeane Croney • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    After wondering, where can i go to learn coding while picking up some soft skills and good coding practices, I came across Craft Academy. Their curriculum didn't only focus on teaching me to code, it was design perfectly to make me job ready by the time i was finished with the course. I was taught the best practices to use when coding. I was taught to use agile methodologies and test driven approach when developing softwares. I was given great job assistance. They modelled their curriculum to feel like a real world simulation. There was constant tech interviews and new projects to develop. I got the opportunity to work in groups doing pair programming which is also a valuable skill to have.
    The coaches gave good guidance and was there every step of the way ensuring we are picking up the necessary skills. The demos were interactive and so i was allowed to ask questions as soon as i was getting confused. Needless to say, the experience was great one, they made a very rough journey feel smooth.
  • Aerbay  User Photo
    Aerbay • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I was working in marketing as CRM Specialist for quite some time. In the beginning, I was quite challenged and had a great team. I was kind of an all-rounder regarding creative and technical tasks as well as analytics and business strategies. But after 4 years I realized it's not challenging anymore and the career steps I could take in that field are limited.
    I've decided to push my technical and creative skills to the next level and do the coding bootcamp Craft Academy. I knew some web development and JavaScript beforehand, this was quite helpful for me but don't be afraid if you have no prior knowledge, the whole course is designed for people with no experience with coding whatsoever.

The course is divided into two parts 4 weeks of preparatory and 12 weeks of the main course. I suggest you practice Ruby and JavaScript during the first 4 weeks as much as possible because 12 weeks will be very intense, you will barely find time go over basics again. You gotta be a quick learner during the course, develop your way of learning things efficiently.

It's important to know that this is not just a coding course. There are many currently used industry concepts that are being taught such as Behaviour Driven Development, Test Driven Development, and Agile Scrum Web Development. Learning these concepts(and many others) and learning how a web developer approach design challenges or problems will make you ready for taking part in a real web development team. At the end of the bootcamp you will have enough knowledge to start your career in the tech industry. But you should not stop coding ever, web development is always changing you need to keep your skills sharp even after you finish the bootcamp.

There are few individual projects but most importantly many group/pair projects. Nowadays, lone web developers don't exist anymore in tech companies, it is now a norm to work in web development project groups. Craft Academy teaches you how to work in groups as web developers and deliver minimum viable products in a given time.

The coaches strive you to succeed, they can become hard critics on your code but remember that your code is not you, you shouldn't take criticism personally. And ask a lot of questions to them, they will help you anyway they can. Be sure to listen to their soft skill and hard skill suggestions, you will receive lots of valuable insights.

You must know that you need to give your full attention to this bootcamp for 12 weeks. You must spend your evenings and weekends coding if you want to be a truly successful developer at the end of the bootcamp.

I'm very amazed by how much I've learned in 12 weeks. Most importantly I learned many marketable skills to kickstart my job search in the tech industry.

Don't hesitate to contact them if you have other questions about the bootcamp
  • Eevan  User Photo
    Eevan • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Overall, I can honestly say that the Craft Full Stack Developer experience was a great one.

I knew nothing about coding before joining this course and it was not an issue. The course begins with the basics, and at a pace that is completely maintainable. Starting with a prep month that is extremely necessary to help start building solid foundations. The instructors are always available to help throughout the day and can be reached at certain office hours later in the evening. I never had a problem getting help when stuck, even at 8pm.

The pace does pick up relatively quickly and it is extremely important to stay on top of the subject material if you do decide to invest in this course as all later weeks build on what you have previously learned. The working environments are individual and in teams.

As for the material, I am quite happy with what they have chosen to fit in in only 12 weeks. The libraries, frameworks and methodologies taught are all relevant currently and I have seen demand for all in the active job market.

I have solid confidence now when creating my own apps, frontend or backend, with Rails and React and would like to thank all my coaches at Craft for getting me started on this path to an excellent new skill, in an ever increasing online world.
  • Kayla Woodbury  User Photo
    Kayla Woodbury • Looking • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    My experience at Craft Academy is not one I will soon, if ever, forget. There was much blood, sweat and tears that went into the program. That said, I had an amazing experience and feel that I came out prepared to go out into the workforce as a Junior Developer. You definitely get back as much as you put into it.

From the beginning, the coaches push you to be self reliant. At first I was frustrated with this approach, but now at the end of the bootcamp I am grateful that they so strongly enforced us being able to troubleshoot ourselves through our issues and questions. As a coder it is imperative to be able to dig yourself out of what ever hole you dig yourself into. You never want to fear experimenting or going down an unfamiliar path, that is where the creativity and fun come in, so having the ability to research, troubleshoot and backtrack is a must. And I am grateful they instilled these into us.

I believe that most everyone can learn to code, but I do not believe this program, or rather bootcamps in general, are for everyone. You must be ready and willing to dive into the unknown, step out of your comfort zone everyday, move at breakneck speeds, and be able to put your life on hold for 3 months. Given the nature of a bootcamp, you have to be able to take to heart, quickly implement and make a habit out of EVERYTHING that they tell you.

One of the parts that I appreciate most about Craft Academy, is that they take a real life and practical approach to what they teach you. You will not come out a Javascript or Ruby expert, but you will understand how to employ the Agile mindset to project planning and execution, how to work effectively in groups, how to pair program, how to discuss your code in a concise and precise way, how to write up good Pull Requests, how to use Github, etc. Basically, I now have a very clear understanding of what a software developer does on a daily basis, and how to see projects through from beginning to end. With the wonderful foundations Craft Academy set, I can continue to self learn and grow my coding skills within a job.

If you decide that Craft Academy is right for you, you will go through a roller coaster of an experience facing every human emotion. But if you fully apply yourself, listen to everything they tell you to do, code, code, and code some more; then you will come out at the end surprised at how much you learned about yourself, about coding, and about this industry in such a short period of time.

Would I do a bootcamp again?
    Ask me again in a few months once I've caught up on sleep! But generally speaking, yes. And I would definitely recommend Craft Academy to others who are serious about making a career shift in a short period of time. The coaches care about and invest in all their students, the curriculum is ever in flux to improve and adapt to changing technologies, and the approach is well balanced between coding, soft skills and project management.

The one negative I would say, is that there was sometimes a shortage of coach availability because of the larger cohort size of 15 people.
  • Not for everyone
    - 4/27/2020
    Karro  User Photo
    Karro • Unemployed • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This boot-camp teaches you a lot about code but even more about yourself. It's important to make time, give it your all and keep up with the pace. If you do not you will not get the best out of this boot camp. You will not get extra help if you can't keep up. Remember that these coaches are not teachers they are coders, great people who love code and love to teach but in THEIR ways and methods - forget what you know from school. Most importantly - have realistic expectations, compare only to yourself and code more than you read.
  • Emma Thalen  User Photo
    Emma Thalen • Looking • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This is by far the most well spent money and time I ever invested in myself.

I expected in the beginning of this journey that I would somewhat know how to code when I was done with the bootcamp.
    What I didn't expect was that I would sit here and write this review and fully honestly say that I know how to build a responsive frontend that consumes an API, I can also build that API in a restful way and as the cherry on top I have good flow with version control and I know how to in an agile way start, build and finish a software project. I forgot to mention that I also have some knowledge about how to create a mobile app.
    I expected it to be hard core, and it was. But I didn't know that it was possible to learn this much in three extremely short months.

Is the bootcamp for everyone?
    I would say no. I think everyone can somewhat learn how to code, but this bootcamp is about so much more. You learn how to work agile, how to take a software project from start to finish and how to collaborate in a team to make progress.
    But to get the most out of it you need to leave your ego and comfort zone at home and come to 'work' everyday as an open book. You need to put yourself a side to work with people that maybe is clashing with your personality, you need to put your own ego and previous experiences aside to accept and absorb that you are a beginner who is learning something and you have to give it all.
    If you are not willing to do all that, I hardly believe you would get the amazing experience I had.

Would I do it all over again?
    I definitely would. (But I am not sure my boyfriend would stick around if I did another three months like this, lol)
    This was such a life changing and amazing bas ass journey that has changed my life.
    I have learned so much about myself and what I am capable of if I just put my head into it and dare to push my comfort zone further and beyond on a daily basis.

Craft Academy is all about pushing your own boundaries and learn from your failures.
    I have failed, I have been frustrated, I have cried and I have been doubting if this work field is something for me, more than once.
    But I have also succeeded, celebrated, solved difficult problems, pushed myself beyond my comfort zone and came out convinced that this is the best business a human can ever get the pleasure to work with.
    If you never fail, you will not know what success is and if you never fail you won't know how to solve the problem when you end up there. And Craft Academy teaches you just that, how to fail and how to dig yourself out when the tunnel collapsed. And the better you get at digging yourself out, the better you get at digging from the beginning so the tunnel won't fall in over your head.
    Everyone can learn a programming language but that is not enough to be a software developer.
    Craft Academy gives you the right tools to become a software developer, and along the way you will learn some javascript and ruby.

But this bootcamp gives back what you put into it. I put everything in and I got twice my input back in knowledge.

• Jonas Masharqa  User Photo
    Jonas Masharqa • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    When deciding on joining the bootcamp or not, I believe the most important thing to keep in mind is to really listen to the fact that you need to drop everything around you. The rest you can't really prepare for, just do it.

A big chunk of the coding part of the course is done independently, or together with your programming partner, the hand-holding phase blows over pretty quickly. If you've grasped some of the basics before starting the ITP course even that's a big plus.

The best thing about Craft Academy is that the further you delve into the bootcamp, the more it's starting to become a simulation of a workplace. By the end you know the drill of how to plan, work on, and make dynamic changes to the project as efficiently as possible. This is your selling point when graduating.
  • Pia  User Photo
    Pia • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This bootcamp is not for the weak, you'll be taught to be independent quickly through finding your own information och solving your problems which is something you do alot when codeing. It's a high intensity education where you get to know 2 programming languages in the course of 12 (16 if your count the part-time introduciton to programming course) weeks. The coaches support you but also make sure you stand on your own feet very quickly so prepare to not have that much hand-holding.

For me it was a great way to change careers quickly. The focus on using automated testing and SCRUM/XP was a huge selling point for me.

• Sverrir Steindorsson  User Photo
    Sverrir Steindorsson • Graduate Verified via GitHub

What is this?

The process spans 16 weeks, starts with 4 easy going weeks and moves into 12 not-so-easy going weeks. Looking back, I would probably recommend that people try to learn as much as possible during the first 4 weeks as possible. Try to learn as much Ruby and JavaScript (look into ES6 syntax) as you can before the actual bootcamp begins. It will allow you to focus more on the concepts and the big picture instead of the details when they turn the heat up.

The coaches are good people and they all want you to succeed. It's important to keep that in mind, especially when your "code" gets an ass-chewing.

I think it's important to keep in mind that this isn't just a coding bootcamp and you can learn to write code pretty much anywhere. I would say that this is a place that prepares you for a certain work environment and hopefully enables you to land on your feet once you enter the real world. That is why they put so much emphasis on the soft skills. In my case it was the "how to work as a developer" part of the bootcamp that I was after. Of course my coding also got a lot better during the process and the whole testing aspect of the bootcamp had an enormous impact on my way of thinking. Now there is no going back from writing tests. I think I would feel very weird about having a job where I write software with no tests. I would probably start writing tests as a skunkworks project.

Would I recommend the bootcamp to other people?
    Short answer: Maybe
    Little bit longer answer: When they say that you have to put your life on hold for a couple of months, they mean it. I had just moved to Sweden with my family a few weeks before the bootcamp started. My kid is 8 years old and he had a tough time adjusting to the whole thing so the timing, in my case, was sub-optimal. In hindsight, it was probably the wrong time to do it because I often felt like I wasn't able to fully commit and there for I didn't get as much out of it as I could have. It's difficult to come home in the evening, ignore everyone and get back to work. I was unable to do that but if we had been settled in a bit more, then I think it would have been a bit easier. Also, you NEED approval from your spouse. It's a tough process for them as well.

Would I do it again?
    Yes, I would.

I also look forward to attending future Coffee'n'Code events and staying in touch with the coaches and my cohort.