2014 was a stellar year for coding bootcamps, and the team at Course Report had a blast covering it. We've seen acquisitions, major fundraises, and new schools launching weekly in cities from San Fran to Sydney. As we connect with bootcamp alumni all over the world, success stories continue to emerge and it makes us so excited to see the future of bootcamps unfold. But we can't head into the New Year without reflecting on some of the greatest accomplishments of 2014, so read on for our top picks!
Top News from 2014:
- Exciting acquisitions included Kaplan buying Dev Bootcamp in July and Galvanize buying Zipfian Academy in November.
- Flatiron School, General Assembly, Bloc, Gr8 Code, and gSchool all announced funding this year, showing confidence in bootcamps as a profitable industry.
- Bootcamp graduates like Alyssa Ravasio and Ricky Choi started their own successful businesses with their new coding skills.
- Coding schools grew roots in smaller tech markets like Milwaukee and Miami, offering education opportunities beyond traditional hubs.
- The bootcamp model expanded way beyond Web Development: schools launched courses in Data Science, UX Design, and more.
In 2014, Course Report:
- published over 200 interviews with bootcamp students, instructors and founders in 2014. Our most popular posts were this Q&A with Kush Patel, founder of App Academy and this interview with Jessie A Young, Dev Bootcamp graduate & thoughtbot apprentice.
- accepted an invite from the White House to discuss accessibility, diversity, and employment with bootcamp industry leaders. See our thoughts and takeaways here.
- released two research reports about the coding bootcamp space: a Market Size Study and a Graduate Outcomes & Demographics Survey. P.S. The research was featured in the New York Times & Wall Street Journal, among others!
- hosted webinars with Turing, Metis, online bootcamps & more. Check out our YouTube channel to watch!
- added exclusive Scholarships to select schools and a Review feature for graduates, in efforts to make a bootcamp education more transparent and accessible.
Do you want to see more info on a particular bootcamp in 2015? Tweet @coursereport or email the team to let us know! Is your New Year's Resolution to learn to code? Keep following Course Report to find the coding bootcamp that's best for you and stay tuned for some exciting announcements in 2015!