velocity-logo

Velocity

Velocity

Velocity offers a range of part-time coding courses and coding bootcamps in NYC. Students can choose between part-time 8-week courses and part-time 24-week bootcamps in web development and iOS mobile development. Classes cover React, Angular, and NodeJS. The courses are all designed for beginners, and are held on evenings and weekends for working professionals who are not ready to quit their jobs.

Recent Velocity Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (7) reviews for Velocity →

Recent Velocity News

• Full Stack Evening Immersive

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, Mobile, CSS, Express.js, Node.js, iOS, Front End
      New York City
      The Evening Immersive Bootcamp is designed for working professionals who cannot take two full months off for the full-time course. Covering the same material and concepts, the evening course prepares students for a career in software development using the most cutting edge frameworks and languages like ES6 JavaScript, Node JS and React. A considerable portion will also be devoted to React Native for mobile development across multiple platforms. By the end of the course, students will be prepared to pursue career tracks in any area of the stack: frontend, backend, or mobile.
      Students may pay in bi-weekly installments throughout course.
      Refund / Guarantee
      $500 discount for students who pay tuition in full prior to the start of class.
      Scholarships are available for qualified candidates. $1,000 scholarship for women.
    • Full Stack Immersive

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, iOS, Front End
      New York City
      The Full Stack Immersive bootcamp covers backend and frontend development using the most up-to-date technologies. Using Node JS, Mongo, Express and React (with ES6), we create a fully functional website with user registration, image uploading, and email notification functionality. We also deeply explore React Native which leverages the powerful React library to build native iOS and Android apps in JavaScript. The Full Stack Immersive is one of a kind - we cover all the areas of the stack (backend, frontend, mobile) with the most modern libraries, frameworks and language.
      $2000
      Students may pay in bd-weekly installments throughout course.
      Refund / Guarantee
      $500 rebate for students who pay tuition in full before class begins.
    • Intro to Web Development

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, Node.js, Front End
      New York City
      The Intro Web Development course is a primer for the upcoming Full Stack Immersive bootcamp but it can be taken by itself. It is aimed at beginners who are new to programming and are considering web development as a career. In this 8-session course, we cover the basics of web development as it is done today: Node, Express, REST API, and cloud deployment. By the end of the course, students will be able to create simple websites with clean design and deploy to a cloud provider such as Heroku.
      $250
      Students may pay in bi-weekly installments throughout course.
      Refund / Guarantee
      $200 discount to students who pay tuition in full prior to start of class.
    • Node & React Intro

MongoDB, HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js
      New York City
      The Node & React Development Evening course is an 8-week class that covers backend and frontend development using the most up-to-date technologies. Using Node JS, Mongo, Express and React (with ES6), we will create a fully functional website with user registration, image uploading, email notification functionality.
      $500
      Students may pay in weekly installments throughout course.
      Refund / Guarantee
      $200 discount to students who pay tuition in full prior to start of course.
      Scholarships are available for qualified candidates.

• Joshua Steinberg • Graduate
      Having tinkered with HTML and basic javascript, I decided to begin a career in development. In my experience, Velocity 360 is the best bootcamp for people serious about becoming good coders. My experience with Velocity 360 was overwhelmingly positive.

Dan, the lead instructor, told us (read: warned us) from day one there would be little theory or fluff. This is a course for people who want to be challenged. If you are, prepare to learn as much as possible in the time allotted. Class time of our 8-Week Fundamentals Bootcamp was almost entirely spent coding. Dan steps deliberately and logically through the process of building a full-stack web application using a React/Redux, Node JS, MongoDB and Heroku for deployment. Students follow along - everyone is expected to code alongside. The project-based curriculum follows the process that would be used on professional work. Along the way we used the latest technologies (including ES6!), and using them in context is far more valuable than online examples.

Toward the end of the course, we explored other areas on our own projects like third party SDK's, enterprise API's, and open source projects. I built a texting service using Twilio on which anyone can share web-links by simply texting a number. Another classmates built a scraping module for the service which helped grab meta-data for every link posted using a nifty NPM module.

At the time of writing, there are no other bootcamps that teach React and React Native. What’s wrong with a Ruby on Rails course? In the rapidly evolving tech world, the only constant is change. Staying ahead of the curve gives you a competitive advantage. Anyone who reads Hacker News knows Facebook’s React is absolutely killing it. Velocity is all about teaching the technology of tomorrow. Graduating a bootcamp with a solid foundation in cutting-edge web dev was worth far more than the sticker price.
    • Ty S. • JavaScript Developer • Graduate

I currently work as a freelance MEAN-stack developer. Now that React is getting used more and more in production I thought it would be a good idea to dive into it. The official documentation and online resources available right now do not do a good enough job of explaining all the different JavaScript libraries required to be an effective ReactJS Developer.

Velocity offers a comprehensive course of the React Ecosystem in a digestible evening format. React, Router, Redux, Native, Babel / ES6 and NodeJS. You learn about all these libraries and how to use them together.

My future client projects will all be done in ReactJS. Thanks Velocity!

I'm a current student in both the iOS and Node/React weekend courses. I started off just doing the iOS course after hearing about it from a friend. I went to a demo and was sold. Dan knows exactly what the industry is looking for and thoroughly knows his content. Once I started the iOS course, I signed up for the Node/React course two weeks later.

This is the best learning I've experienced in my journey to become a developer. I've used all of the learn-to-code websites and tutorials you've probably already done yourself. I also attended a 12-week full stack-lite course to build up my skills, which got me a part-time job in the industry. But I'm looking to get that full time job.

In fact, I've already registered for the part time bootcamp for iOS + Node and I'm confident I'll get a job by the end of this program.

You are coding on day one. As another student pointed out, there are no long lectures about theory. You code along and things are explained as you go. And then you build the project again. And then again. And then another time. Instead of having CS-type lectures on what a loop is and then doing some obscure exercise which doesn't really help you understand a real-world application, you write a loop in your program that does something you'd really want to do for a real app. It certainly doesn't hurt to have some prior experience, but it's not that difficult to understand what's going on if you're a beginner.

We're accessing third-party APIs and even writing our own. We're creating real apps based on examples of what you would want to actually make. We're learning UI principles too so we can make apps that don't look like garbage.

And most importantly, we're focusing on technologies that are the future. Do you really want to graduate with 25 other Rails devs who are competing with you for entry-level jobs? If you go through these courses, namely the boot camps, you're going to separate yourself from the rest of the pack.

• James Richards • Web and iOS Developer • Graduate

If you had told me that I would be able to build a ReactJS/Redux front end, a complete NodeJS back end all deployed on Heroku, create my own REST API and create a mobile app with Swift 2.0 that consumed either a 3rd party api or my own personal api, I would have laughed in your face. Furthermore, if you had said I would touch over sixteen different technologies and frameworks in a few months I wouldn't have believed it. But I was persuaded to try Fullstack360's method of learning and it was the best decision I could have made. Being tri-lingual and having learned to speak foreign languages the hard way (vocabulary, grammar, gender, verb tenses, noun-verb agreement, subjunctives etc.), I believed that learning to code required literally going through step by step learning data types, loops, promises, data structures, syntax, algorithms, functional vs. procedural, inheritance, polymorphism etc. and don’t get me wrong, these are all very important things to learn. When I began classes, I already had a limited amount of learning to code on my own and in college. I had also attended another boot camp which was more of a focus on fireside chats and networking within the NY startup ecosystem. While it had its own good points it did not teach me to code. So nothing lead me to be able to create real world applications outside of my learning to create static web pages. Day one, minute one of Fullstack360 you start to build and code. No hour-long lectures followed by the old, “Ok go off and try it on your own,” which leaves many stuck in a rabbit hole and left behind. Instead, with instructor guidance, you immediately begin exhaustively building and building and building and one is not left behind. It is super intense learning and coding eight hours plus a day while trying to grasp new concepts, but it gives one the opportunity to repeat and drill into the mind a different way of thinking and solving problems. Within that process you suddenly understand what loops are, what a callback function is, the basic ideas around pointers, inheritance, polymorphism, casting, data structures, data types, lexical scope, functional vs. procedural, modular, promises. And when you go back and lookup these items, you recognize that you’ve already been using the tools about which you are now reading and you assimilate the theory behind these concepts much faster.  Furthermore, you have now built complete realistic projects. I don’t know of any other boot camp where you learn to be an entry-level full stack web and mobile developer in such a short period of time. I also don’t know of any other boot camp where you don’t waste hours listening to lectures when you could be coding.

At Fullstack360 you literally code with the instructor, code with your peers, and code on your own from start to finish. Takeaway: you are left with several projects for your github, not just one final project and a knowled. It’s intense, it’s exhausting, it’s awesome! I couldn’t have asked for more.

• Anonymous • Associate • Student

After reading the syllabi of several programming bootcamps, Fullstack 360 caught my attention because of its laser-focused and highly specialized course content. Fullstack 360 only offers courses on leading programming languages, like Swift, Node.js, and React.js., to ensure students are learning languages on trend with the future of the tech industry. This really struck me as a differentiator compared to other bootcamps in NYC that only offered Ruby on Rails courses.

Fullstack 360 also caught my eye because they offer part-time in-person courses, which is a great alternative to full-time bootcamps, which require you to save up and quit your job, and online courses that lack the necessary in-person guidance. I'm currently enrolled in the Swift and Node part-time class and appreciate the accelerated learning - Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays. Our instructor, Dan Kwon, dives right into teaching the class how to code and explains concepts along the way. I was impressed that by our 3rd class we were working with APIs and building fully functional apps. I'm looking forward to the rest of the course where we'll learn how to use geo-location services, the camera, and build out our own APIs to use with our apps. I've been so impressed with the pace of the Swift course, that I've also signed up for Fullstack360's part-time Node.js and React.js course to further round out my skills.

I came to Fullstack360 after I had tried to teach myself iOS for 2 months and was beginning to lose my way.  I had flip-flopped a couple of times on what I should learn and had truly wasted a lot of time because of the indecision. I was taking a "learn-by-doing" approach, but found myself doing very little of both.  After two months and one half-done project to show for it, I decided to attend an FS360 info session and was sold on their industry insight and course offerings for someone like me who was looking to make a change.

I ultimately enrolled in the fulltime iOS course where we covered in the two days what I had tried to teach myself in 6 weeks. The instructor, Dan, encouraged us to learn from each other and work together to succeed (and fail) as a class - it genuinely gave me the sense of network and community I lacked when I worked from home and coffee shops.

Having graduated two weeks ago, I've already drawn interest from several early-stage startups in NYC and look forward to securing a fulltime role in the near term. The team at Fullstack360, especially Dan, have been instrumental in guiding me through the application process, particulalry in preparing me for technical evaluations and resume screens.

For the price-poiint and value of what I learned at FS360, I'm confident I made the right choice over Fullstack Academy and Flatiron School. Truly appreciate all their hard work and dedication in helping me jumpstart my transition into tech.

My experience with Velocity's Node & React Evening Course exceeded all of my expecations. I had difficulty finding a school that cut to the chase and offered a clear cut, applicable curriculum, but I found all of that here. I'm still enrolled in courses and I find myself walking away with a noticably improved knowledge of the subject matter after each and every class. My next step is going to be one of Velocity's bootcamps and I'm extremely excited to see where I end up after several weeks of intensive training with this awesome school.