unh-coding-boot-camp-logo

UNH Coding Boot Camp

Portsmouth

UNH Coding Boot Camp

UNH Coding Boot Camp is a part-time, 24-week, web development course in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Express.js, Database Theory, MongoDB, MySQL, Git, and more.

Applicants do not need previous experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the program is part-time, UNH Coding Boot Camp is designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change, advancement or are looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, career content and practice sessions, technical interview training, 1:1 career coaching, soft skills training, and more. Graduates will receive a Certificate of Completion from the UNH Professional Development & Training, and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of the topics covered throughout the program.

UNH Coding Boot Camp is powered by Trilogy Education Services a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent UNH Coding Boot Camp Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (10) reviews for UNH Coding Boot Camp →

Recent UNH Coding Boot Camp News

• Full-Stack Flex - Part-Time

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    Rolling Start Date
    Portsmouth
    UNH Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
    Payment plans available
    Payment plans available
    Beginner
    Pre-work
    Interview

• Declan Morrison  User Photo
    Declan Morrison • Lead Frontend Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I was enrolled in this class for the June-December 2018 cohort, and I learned more in those 6 months than I ever could have learned on my own! I went in knowing little about HTML and nothing about JavaScript, and I now have a job as a Lead Frontend Developer, only 3 months after graduating. I would reccommend this course to anyone that learns better in person in a classroom setting as opposed to online/self taught.

The instructor was very clear and excellent at explaining difficult to understand concepts, and the TA's and instructor were always happy to help or clarify anything you didn't understand.

You have lots of hands-on coding time every session, you will certainly learn a lot form this course. If you're looking to get into Web Development, or even just coding in general, I would reccommend this class every time!

Thursday, May 30 2019
    Way to go, Declan! We're happy to hear you learned so much throughout your boot camp journey. Our instructional team strives to help students along every step of the way, so it's great to know you benefited from their support. Congratulations on successfully completing the program, we truly appreciate your review! Best of luck on your new career path.
  • Katie  User Photo
    Katie • Junior Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Background: I spent close to ten years implementing, supporting, and maintaining clinical systems but did not have a technical background. In fact, I had majored in Anthropology and Justice Studies at UNH. I wanted a better understanding of the systems that I was working with and knew that many clinical systems were going to Web Application route. This program seemed like a great choice because of its Web focus and partnership with UNH which I trusted based on my undergraduate experience. I also liked the fact that Trilogy partnered with companies in the industry to determine their technical needs and built a program that would provide students with those same technical skills.

Curriculum: The curriculum is a great combination of technologies that are currently in demand in the development world. You also touch briefly on larger topics such as Computer Science and Java. The pace is fast and the material you cover is vast. It can often feel like you’re attempting to drink from a firehose. Your focus is to try and absorb what you can in the moment so that you are able to do a more in-depth dive during your homework and projects. Ultimately the goal of this program is to provide you with the tools you need to begin your journey as a developer.

Instructors: This is where the program really shines. Our instructor and our teaching assistants (TAs) were absolutely phenomenal. It was great to have industry professionals reviewing the material and adding additional insight to areas they felt were important. They were always available to review material, answer questions, and provide guidance. I can’t speak to the tutoring Trilogy provided additionally, as I didn’t use it. The teaching staff were available enough that I was able to get everything I needed from them in person.

Job Assistance: The career development portion of the program was great. They help with resume building, interview prep, etc. The whole team was instrumental in helping me to secure my current position. Aubrey was there every step of way, helping to provide me with additional resume review, answering my interview etiquette questions, and following up throughout the interview process with recommendations on follow-up. I will forever be grateful for the help that she and the rest of the Trilogy team provided.

Overall Experience: My overall experience was incredibly positive. The program does a wonderful job of setting you up to be as successful as you want to be. The more time, dedication, and attention you provide to this program, the more successful you will be within the course and in your job search. I take recommendations very seriously and have recommended this program to multiple friends and family members. It, without a doubt, changed my life.

Thursday, May 30 2019
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Katie! We're thrilled you chose our program to learn new, in-demand web development skills. It's great to hear you benefited from the curriculum and found our entire boot camp team to be supportive—we also have to agree that Aubrey is fantastic. Like you mentioned, the more time, dedication, and attention you commit to the course material, the more successful you will be. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you continued success as you move forward!
  • Orlando Correa  User Photo
    Orlando Correa • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I came in like many others hardly knowing a thing about coding but with the help of the amazing staff and students we all worked hard to overcome this challenging boot camp! 10/10 I would definetly do it again!

Friday, May 10 2019
    Thank you for your review, Orlando! We're glad to hear you successfully learned the fundamentals of full-stack web development. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best!
  • Zach  User Photo
    Zach • React Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Prior to enrolling in the UNH Full-Stack Flex Bootcamp, I was, like many others I'm sure, just another student looking to obtain a four-year degree. In the early stages of that process, I found the manner in which the university system is administered to be convoluted and fundamentally flawed. So, I took a step back from the pursuit of a bachelor's degree and instead focused on trying to pinpoint what industries naturally interest me and what skills I have a natural propensity for. I visualized those in a venn-diagram kind of way, and found that the overlap pointed directly to programming. I took what seemed like a big risk in tabling my pursuit of a degree ( for now ) and instead enrolling in the bootcamp. Best. Decision. Ever.

In my eyes, there are two major value propositions that this course offers over a more traditional associate's or bachelor's track. The first value added is an ever-strengthening economic one. Proficient developers in web technologies are in very high demand. With so much of the modern world now reliant on the internet, the labor market is starved for people who are able to develop new applications or maintain and improve existing ones, and that demand is reflected in the prospective salary of web developer. Combine that with the course's price tag, which is pennies compared to that of a bachelor's degree, and you get the "high R.O.I." education that Trilogy and UNH offer with this course.

The other value this course created, for me at least, was in regards to time and scope. The amount of time it takes to become industry-ready as a software engineer is drastically shortened for anyone willing to fully commit to this bootcamp. A typical four-year computer science degree covers computer theory in great detail, which is certainly of value; those curricula, however, frequently do not provide any interaction with modern web technologies outside of a rudimentary introduction to HTML, CSS, and javascript. This bootcamp, conversely, affords students the oppourtunity to get familiar with leveraging these technologies (plus many more), and encourages them to do so at length. In this way, I found myself being exposed to many of the same theories taught to computer science students simply by learning to implement them. All while continually refining those skills in said technologies and working towards becoming a proficient developer.

To speak more to the nature of the class itself, I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to learn from and learn with. The staff here all know what they're doing, no doubt, and, even more notably, they are extremely effective in communicating what tends to be rather abstract material. The teacher and teaching assistants, as well as the coordinator, all had a very evident passion for the material we covered, and, morever, clearly took great joy in sharing their knowledge. That sort of passion is contagious. I feel comfortable speaking for my entire class when I say that we got just as much joy out of learning from the Trilogy staff as they got out of teaching us.

I will never look back on this class with anything but appreciation. I consider this bootcamp a metaphorical seed more than anything. You will not learn everything there is to know here. You will, however, learn everything you need to know to plant that metaphorical seed, and you will leave with the tools to nourish that seed into a full grown passion for the challenging, sometimes frustrating, but truly rewarding wolrd of code.

Many thanks to everyone at Trilogy who helped to make this one of the best years of school yet.

Monday, Mar 25 2019
    Amazing, Zach! Congratulations on completing the program and thanks for your review. We're glad to hear that you learned many valuable skills, and had an overall positive experience with this Boot Camp. We know the importance of lifelong learning and design our courses to facilitate our students' continued education beyond graduation, and we're glad this aspect resonated so strongly with you. We're cheering you on as you move forward in your career.
  • Joshua LeBoeuf  User Photo
    Joshua LeBoeuf • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was enrolled in this bootcamp from June 2018 - Dec 2018. It really changed my life in many ways. it is a fast paced program with a endless amount of knowledge to consume. The instructional and support team is extremely helpful, they truly care if you understand the material. Everyone involved in this bootcamp wants to see ever student succeed. The course material is new cutting edge technology. Before the bootcamp I was always into tech and computers and general but never got into code, but after the six months of class I can now create Full Stack websites with ease. I will say you must go into this knowing that it is a lot of work, but it is very much worth it. If you put the time into to learning it, it will pay off. Not only does it teach you how to use MERN stack but it just overall helps you know how to go about learning. As I said the intructional team truly cares and that is what I liked most, they were always available to answer questions and explain things more throughly if needed. They go above and beyond the expectations.

TLDR:

PROS:

• Newer Technologies
    • Amazing Staff
    • Always there to answer questions
    • Price is lower then other bootcamps
    • Smaller class
    • Again the staff is the best.
    • 1 hour tutor seshion every week (optional)

CONS:

• I really can't think of any
    Monday, Feb 18 2019
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Joshua! Our entire instructional team is passionate about helping students succeed, so we're happy to hear this resonated with you. Great advice for prospective applicants — if you put in the time, it will pay off. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Kyle Krupp  User Photo
    Kyle Krupp • Technical Product Manager • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

This program truly does a great job of taking any individual from spinning up their first simple HTML "Hello World" page, to spinning up server-side JavaScript applications, all in 6-months.

The pace is fast, but the instructional staff provides an exceptional level of support and opportunity for catching up/ extra learning. The most impressive part is how well of a job the instructor/ TA's do at breaking down complicated concepts or even logistics, and applying in it the right way to an audience who (for the most part) is learning programming for the first time.

The technology learned is very modern and coveted by employers. Walking away from this course, you will have the ability to really go in any direction with your career. You will have the ability to devleop full stack apps (everything from server-side to front-end), using the most up-to-date frameworks/methods. There is an added upside in that you work on three group projects, giving you experience in an agile-scrum like environment. Working in that type of environment alone is a huge plus for your career/ overall way of accomplishing tasks.

For me personally, the main benefit of this bootcamp aside from self-teaching online was the overall knowledge obtained from the class involved smaller, but important logistical skills. Becoming a power user of the command line, understanding version controling such as Git, deployment best practices, are all skills learned throughout the program that make you a much better developer.

I highly recommend this bootcamp for anyone who has an affinity for technology and is willing to put in the time (both in class and out). You won't regret it!

Thursday, Feb 14 2019
    Way to go, Kyle! We're thrilled you found our instructional team to be supportive and knowledgeable in breaking down complex concepts. Congratulations on graduating, we truly appreciate your review! We're excited to see what you will continue to accomplish.
  • Janet Cushing  User Photo
    Janet Cushing • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I just completed the UNH Full Stack Web Development Bootcamp and it was a very positive experience.  I have 20 years of developer experience working at a large corporation, but I felt stale in my job and wanted to learn some newer technologies.  This bootcamp really did the trick as it re-lit my passion for coding, so I am really glad that I took the course!

When I was deciding if I wanted to enroll or not, I had 2 issues that I worried about.  One was the time commitment, especially committing to every Saturday for 6 months.  The other was the instructors; I wondered if UNH could get qualified instructors because  some of the technologies are so new that not a lot of people have expertise with them.

The time commitment is significant - I spent about 25 hours a week during the first half of the class, and about 40 hours a week during the second half of the class on class time and homework.  But it is for a finite amount of time so it is do-able.  Make sure you are prepared to put in the time, because you get out of the course what you put into it.

The instructional staff was excellent so I worried for nothing on that one.  The Instructor and Teaching Assistants were all knowledgeable and able to communicate difficult concepts to a class with a wide diversity of backgrounds.  Also, they encouraged collaboration rather than competition between students, so that made the whole experience a lot more fun and was a huge benefit to learning.  If I had a question on homework, I could put it out to the class and someone would help within a few hours, either another student or the teaching staff.  And this collaboration reflects the open source culture and a real work place, because wherever you end up working you will probably be part of a team, so to learn how to operate within a team is an important skill.

UNH partners with Trilogy Education for this Bootcamp.  Although the program is new to UNH, Trilogy has been doing it at other Universities for a long time so the curriculum is pretty well nailed down.  It is very fast paced and challenging and you learn a lot of information in a relatively short time.  However, you don’t learn Java in this course.  It is misleading for UNH to mention Java in the course description because we only spent 3 hours on Java.  You could easily dedicate an entire bootcamp to learning Java and object oriented concepts, and if that is what you want to learn this is not the right program for you.

There is a career services component to the course also, since most people will be looking for a job when they complete the bootcamp.  I found this helpful because I haven’t looked for a job in about 15 years, and the job search process has changed in that time.  There is a Trilogy career curriculum which I found very helpful.  However there was a lot of turnover in the career counselors, so that was a disappointment because you were working with strangers and never really had a chance for them to get to know you.  I would rather have had 1 or 2 people helping me, rather than the 5 or 6 different career counselors that we ended up having, as a result of turnover.

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and got a lot out of it.  I have already recommended it to friends and mention how great it is to everyone who asks.

Response From: Joanna McKay of UNH Coding Boot Camp
    Title: Student Success Manager
    Tuesday, Apr 10 2018
    Amazing news, Janet! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and personal thoughts on the program. We are thrilled to hear that this program helped you revamp your love for coding and get up to date on the latest technologies. As you noted, this boot camp is time intensive and takes a lot of hard work as it covers many different languages in a short amount of time, so we congratulate you on your dedication.

We are very proud of our instructional staff and their passion for helping students succeed, so we are happy to know that you had such a great experience with them as well. Like you mentioned, UNH has partnered with Trilogy Education Services, a continuing education program manager that provides a proven and innovative curriculum to more than 30 top universities. This partnership allows our students to learn about the latest technologies in an environment that fosters lifelong learning and collaboration among peers. We are constantly evolving our curriculum to cover in-demand languages, and often times, we will make changes based on instructor and student input, such as diving deeper into one of the other technologies covered in the program, instead of what the original curriculum may have outlined. We do understand wanting to have spent more time on Java, and we sincerely appreciate you sharing this feedback, as that helps us to continue improving.

We are always working to ensure that our students have the best career services experience possible and are able to connect with the career staff on a personal level, so we do regret the change in career counselors your cohort experienced. However, our career services don’t end at graduation, so we would love to know how else we can support you as you continue the job search. Please feel free to call me directly at (603) 389-2051 so we can further discuss any additional needs you might have. We wish you all the best as you continue on your new career path!
  • pete mclaughlin • Graduate

I was looking for a change. I have been working in some form of customer service since I was 15 years old and it is getting old. I'm also a single dad and living on a customer service rep salary is  almost impossible. I saw the ad for the bootcamp on Facebook and took a chance. Honestly I feel better for it. I'm excited about a new career as well as the flexibility to work where ever. I have aspirations of moving to Ireland and will certainly be using what I learned at bootcamp to make headway and possibly work for a company in Dublin or Galway. I want to thank Mason and Bryan for their time and expertise as well as Adam and Josh the TA's we had everyone has been wonderful it was a great experience and worth every penny

Tuesday, Sep 10 2019
    Amazing, Pete! Thank you for choosing our program to make a significant career change. We're thrilled you successfully learned the fundamentals of web development and felt supported by our entire instructional team — we also think Mason, Bryan, Adam, and Josh are fantastic. Congratulations on graduating, we truly appreciate your review! All the best moving forward.
  • Mike Galarneau • Graduate

Background/Expectations:    I come from a programming background, I've been in the industry for quite some time but needed a skills refresh.    This program fit my needs because it was fast paced, technologically current,  in-person and outside of core daytime job hours.   I've been around the block a few times, so I expected to be "the oldest guy in the room".  I was pleased to see that in my cohort there was a cross cut representation of age, gender and experiences.   Some were complete novices and others were very seasoned professionals trying to get some new skills.   Any apprehension about being in the right place vanished immediately on day 1.

Curriculum:  The syllabus is good,  it matches up nicely with what I am seeing in the corporate world.  UNH/Trilogy keeps refreshing the content and the instructors tweak the material to keep it fresh.   Expect to answer seemingly endless weekly surveys, but I am presuming that is one benchmark they use to tweak the curriculum, so do them accurately and pay it forward!   There were a couple of items that I would drop from the curriculum, but they weren't significant enough to warrant a concern.  (e.g., teaching Computer Science in a day, adding Java is too much, our cohort deprioritized it)

Pre-work: There was a fair amount of pre-work and an interview before the first class begins.   Again,  I suspect it is to gauge the experience of the class.   It's also good practice for anyone who hasn't been in school for a while.   At the very least it provides a means to practice the homework submission process.

Instructors:  From my point of view, this was a real differentiator.  Local technical leads from local industry really allows for a personal touch.   They were either industry profressionals, bootcamp graduates or both.  Their abilty to salt the Trilogy/UNH playbook with their industry insights, tips and tricks cannot be over-stated.  top notch.    I appreciated their adjustments to the curriculum, while never taking anything away that was promised,  that allowed us to focus on what we deemed the important topics.   I didn't use the remote help that Trilogy offers.   Our instructors and TAs were readily available and that was sufficient for me.  But it was nice to know it was there if needed.

Classwork:  I won't repeat the detail curriculum,  that's easily discoverable.  The beginning classes had a  fair amount of powerpoints with some hands on tasks.   All good stuff, but it had to be powered through.  Soon enough it turned into in-class examples and the memories of those powerpoint days faded to a hazy memory.   Candidly, sometimes I felt there was plenty of time to get the task done and at other times, it was just too quick. (YRMV).    I think that is hard to avoid given the pace of a bootcamp and different backgrounds of the participants.    Project work were group assignments.  That adds a layer of complexity but certainly emulates more real-world conditions.

Homework:  The homework is tied very closely to the in-class examples.  If you can keep up with the in-class examples, then the homework will be challenging but do-able.   The Trilogy method is to have you do the homework the week after you've learned the new concept.  This means you may be juggling two concepts at a time in-class versus at-home.   Our cohort adjusted the homework to be due the week you we're learning the concept.   It was a trade-off,  better focus on one-concept which was good for new-learners, but it took away from the runway to the homework deadline.  In a 6-month sprint, there is no make-up time,  you're borrowing time from Peter to pay Paul, sooner or later it comes due.   (e.g., get your homework done before jumping into deep project work if possible)

Job Assistance: Full disclosure, I rated it highly based on observation but I didn't really use it.   It was all there and fully available as the class developed and there was plenty of reach-out.   I did review the job materials and it was all the same quality of materials that you would see in the corporate world.   It is designed to put your best foot forward.  It's on my to-do list to go back and polish my print and digital identities.

Final Thoughts:   As with any new endeavor, the usual maxim "you get out of it what you put into it" certainly applies here too.  The sweet spot would be for anyone who has had a modicum of programming experience, but the syllabus promise of first-principles teaching holds true here.   You'll have to do the work, but the curriculum structure, coding examples and teaching support is all there to help you clear the hurdle.

Don't let yoursellf get behind on the homework (they do allow some skips),  if possible try to even get ahead a bit.   The second half of the course picks up speed rapidly with React.   Stay with it and it'll make sense.   Do all the in-class assignments at home and master them.   They all are foundational and in most cases build into the next item.

With respect to the three projects.   Have some idea of what you might want to do before you get to that point.   We lost valuable time trying to land on one idea that could have been used to develop ode.   If you have some fleshed out ideas on a napkin,  it will pay off in good team planning.  Save the homework skips for the final project, your future self will appreciate the favor.

Net Promoter Question:  Would I recommend UNH Bootcamp Full Stack Development to a family or friend?  Yes,  already have.

Friday, Mar 22 2019
    Amazing, Mike! We're thrilled you had such a positive boot camp experience and enjoyed our curriculum and instructional team. We're constantly working on updating and improving our course material, so we're glad this resonated with you. Like you mentioned, you get out what you put into the program, so completing class exercises and utilizing all additional resources will reinforce your learning. Congratulations on graduating, we truly appreciate your detailed review and advice for prospective students! We're rooting you on as you move forward.
  • Thomas Hudson • Graduate

Great experience. The curriculum is solid (and always being tweaked and tuned to make it better and keep it relevant). Scott, our instructor, was always clear, knowledgeable, and helpful. It was made clear upfront that your success is up to you and you will be expected to spend a lot of time outside class, practicing and learning additional material on your own, but they always point you in the right direction and offer plenty of support. Tutors are available and staff is accessible online.

It was hard to gauge exactly what career services would entail beforehand. You're given guidance on your resume and online profiles along with some interview prep. Our final projects were presented in a "tech fair" format, which was attended by a few industry reps.  At least a few students landed a job before they even completed the course.

Overall, very satisfied.

Response From: Joanna McKay of UNH Coding Boot Camp
    Title: Student Success Manager
    Friday, Jun 01 2018
    We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, Thomas! Our instructors and TAs have a real passion for teaching and it shows - we also think Scott is pretty amazing. We're happy to hear you had a positive experience with our career services, as our staff is truly dedicated to providing students with the instruction and help they need to navigate today's job market. Congratulations on completing the program and we wish you all the success in your future aspirations!