the-data-incubator-logo

The Data Incubator

Boston, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Washington

The Data Incubator

The Data Incubator offers an intensive full-time, 8-week Data Science Fellowship in NYC, San Francisco, Washington D.C., and online. The Data Incubator is a Cornell Tech-funded training and placement organization leading the charge on data science education. The course accepts applicants who have advanced degrees in STEM and equips them with the final skills to be self-sufficient, productive contributors to data science.

The Data Incubator's Fellowship application process is online, and applicants should have a strong scientific training where they can work with data programmatically and make valid real-world inferences based on data. Applicants also usually have a strong background in probability, statistics, and experience with programming, scripting, or statistical packages.

The Data Incubator also helps companies find new hires through the fellowship program. With various campuses in different locations, the program is free for admitted Fellows, and employers pay a Fellow's tuition fee if they are successfully hired. Students receive mentorship from hiring companies throughout the program and will build a portfolio project that employers value. The Data Incubator only accepts PhDs and Master's graduates.

The Data Incubator is a Pragmatic Institute company.

Recent The Data Incubator Reviews: Rating 4.79

all (29) reviews for The Data Incubator →

Recent The Data Incubator News

Read all (6) articles about The Data Incubator →
  • Applied Machine Learning Online Course

Data Science, Python, Machine Learning
    The Data incubator's Machine Learning course is a part-time, online program geared towards giving working professionals immersive, hands-on experience with the most sought-after machine learning skills. Developed with feedback from our hundreds of industry partners and based on the same rigorous methodology as our Fellowship, our course gives students a thorough understanding of the mathematical and statistical underpinnings of machine learning, as well as the practical skills needed to harness the power of raw data to solve pressing business problems. This class is for you if: - You have taken our Data Science Foundations course and want to deepen your understanding of machine learning - You have experience with modeling or have a background in data science, and would like to learn the theoretical principles and practical applications of machine learning - You want to gain hands-on experience applying machine learning techniques to real-world datasets Upon completion of this course, you will: - Understand and be able to deploy the steps required to complete an end-to-end machine learning project - Have learned about various machine learning models, how they work, pros and cons of each, and how they compare - Know how to best use machine learning to solve business problems and analyze problems using a machine learning perspective - Understand how to effectively use Python's machine learning library Find out which TDI online data science course is right for you https://www.thedataincubator.com/online-course-assessment.html
    DepositThe course tuition is $3,495.00 with early-bird discounts available.
    You can apply for financing through our partner, Climb Credit, and get a decision same-day with no impact on your credit.
    Minimum Skill Level- Intermediate Python - Familiarity with linear algebra - Familiarity with statistical modeling
    Prep WorkRecommended: Data Science Foundations Online Course from The Data Incubator
  • Artificial Intelligence with TensorFlow and Keras

Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning
    3-week part-time online program geared towards giving working professionals an immersive hands-on experience with Deep Learning, Neural Networks, Artificial Intelligence, and TensorFlow. Developed based on feedback from our hundreds of industry partners and using the same rigorous methodology as our Fellowship, the curriculum transforms AI amateurs into AI professionals.
    DepositThe course tuition is $1,695.00 with early-bird discounts available.
    Minimum Skill Level- Intermediate Python - Familiarity with linear algebra - Familiarity with machine learning
  • Data Science Fellowship

LocationSan Francisco, New York City, Washington, Online
    The Data Incubator Fellowship is an intensive 8-week program to transform PhD and Master's level data and science experts into professional Data Scientists. The program not only provides Fellows with hands-on experience with the tools employers value, it also teaches them the "soft skills" necessary to succeed in this competitive job market. The Data Incubator Fellowship works to get Fellows placed at one of their over 250 hiring partners upon graduation from the program. Over the course of the program, Fellows receive instruction from industry expert Data Scientists while building a portfolio project to showcase their programming and mathematical talents, which employers value. The online Scholar option of our Fellowship program is a paid option. Half of program tuition is refunded to Scholars who find a job with one of our hiring partners after graduation. Applications for both the free, intensive and paid, online programs follow the same process. After an application is accepted, applicants are given the option to participate in either program and details about cost and financing for the online Scholar program are provided.
    DepositPlease see https://www.thedataincubator.com/fellowship.html#apply to request information about our paid Scholar option as part of the Fellowship.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Minimum Skill LevelMust have or be within 1 year from completing a PhD or Master's degree.
    Prep Workhttps://blog.thedataincubator.com/2014/09/how-to-prepare-for-the-data-incubator/
  • Data Science for Business Leaders Online Course

Data Science, Business Intelligence
    OnlinePart Time8 Hours/week1 Week
    The Data Science for Business Leaders bootcamp course was created for business professionals who want to learn about data, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. No technical background is required. You should take this course if you work with data scientists or analysts regularly, manage teams or projects with a significant data component, or find yourself translating between technical teams and management. The Data Science for Business Leaders course is designed for participants to gain the following: - Strategies to identify, capture, and extract value from both the current and potential data sources accessible to their organizations - A high-level understanding of key machine learning and artificial intelligence methods and how they can be applied to solve business problems and make intelligent business decisions - Guidelines for evaluating potential data science projects to identify return-on-investment "wins" for your business - Strategies for attracting, retaining, and supporting data science talent - Tips for anticipating and avoiding common pitfalls in data science applications. This class will run 4 consecutive days, Monday (5/20) through Thursday (5/23), from from 3:00-5:00 PM ET/ 12:00-2:00 PM PT each day.
    DepositThe course tuition is $1,095.00 with early-bird discounts available.
    You can apply for financing with our partner, Climb Credit, and get a decision same-day with no impact on your credit.
    Refund / GuaranteeUnfortunately, there are no refunds available.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo technical background is required.
  • Data Science Foundations Online Course

The Data Incubator's Data Science Foundations online training course is an introductory 8-week, part-time bootcamp geared towards giving ambitious college and graduate-level students, recent college graduates, and working professionals an immersive hands-on experience with foundational data science techniques. Class sessions are LIVE online presentations, twice each week. Our Data Science Foundations online training course curriculum has been developed with feedback from our hundreds of industry partners, using the same rigorous methodology as our Data Science Fellowship program, to transform data amateurs into data professionals.
    DepositThe course tuition is $3,495.00 with early-bird discounts available.
    ScholarshipA $350 scholarship is available via CourseReport.com
    Minimum Skill Level- Elementary programming knowledge - Familiarity with statistics
  • Data Visualization with Python Online Course

Data Science, Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Python
    Data science is about helping humans understand the story behind the data, and visualizations provide a powerful tool for helping the analyst understand and communicate that story. Students in The Data Incubator's three-week, part-time Data Visualization course discuss the biases and limitations of both visual and statistical analysis to promote a more holistic approach. This course uses the same rigorous methodology as our Fellowship program.
    DepositThe course tuition is $1,695.00 with early-bird discounts available.
    Minimum Skill LevelElementary programming knowledge
  • Introduction to Python for Data Science

Data Science, Python
    OnlinePart Time3 Hours/week1 Week
    Introduction to Python for Data Science is a 3-hour online workshop that teaches students how to use Python to extract, clean, and analyze data. This workshop is taught by a live instructor, so students have the opportunity to ask questions and receive feedback as they learn. Students will gain hands-on practice using Python for data science and leave the course ready to work on their own data science projects. Students who take our Intro to Python workshop qualify for a special tuition credit on our 8-week Data Science Foundations course for the cost of this workshop. Python has developed over decades into a versatile and hugely popular programming language for several reasons. It’s become an essential tool for data science and other scientific computing tasks, largely due to a thriving ecosystem of open-source libraries for analysis and visualization of large datasets. This course introduces students to working with Python packages that are commonly used for data science tasks like data manipulation and machine learning. First, we’ll cover basic Python syntax - showcasing the language’s intuitive code style and broad capabilities. We’ll demonstrate how students can easily start working with Python in Jupyter Notebook, an interactive computing environment that allows one to write and run live code - providing students with hands-on practice using Python for data science. Then, we’ll introduce students to Python’s powerful packages, extensions to the language that make it one of the most capable programming languages today. Students will gain familiarity with the Python packages focused on data-related tasks that form the Python data science "stack". Takeaways Ability to write and run Python code for data analysis in data science notebooks (data cleaning and reformatting, exploration, analysis). An introduction to the fundamental open-source data science libraries in Python and their roles, strengths, and weaknesses for data analysis (including: NumPy, Matplotlib, scikit-learn, & more). This is a hands-on workshop. Students will be immersed in code, and develop scripts & notebooks, which they can take home for future use. Pre-requisites Basic technical ability, comfort with computers, and desire to learn new tools. Minimal experience using computers for analysis or repeated tasks (like formulas or macros in Excel). No installation necessary! All course material is online - students only need internet access and a laptop with an internet browser (like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox).
    Tuition PlansEarly bird discount available
    Refund / GuaranteeUnfortunately, there are no refunds available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic technical ability, comfort with computers, and desire to learn new tools. Minimal experience using computers for analysis or repeated tasks (like formulas or macros in Excel).
    Prep WorkNo installation necessary! All course material is online - students on
  • Anthony • Graduate

TDI gave me a lot of experience handling data in a way that I didn't get in an academic environment. The data sets were big, messy, and realistic. In addition, I thought that the capstone was an excellent way to get into a more industrial environment. The Data Incubator required a lot of database management, web scraping, and the like, which I didn't get in the academic setting I came from.

I also felt that TDI gave me a number of excellent opportunities. It may seem frustrating at times, but the partners really do want to hire Fellows, and TDI's salary and compensation ranges are very accurate (in my experience). I'm not sure I would have gotten the same response rate and offers if I hadn't been applying through TDI.

• Isaiah Yoo • Data Scientist

I got a job out of The Data Incubator! But in addition to that, I got at least three important things out of The Data Incubator. One, I received comprehensive training in key data science tools. Two, I was able to become a part of a supportive network of fellow PhD data scientists. And three, I came away with a good understanding of what is needed in industry and how I, as a PhD, can be of use.

• Phillip Schafer • Data Scientist • Graduate

I participated in The Data Incubator's Spring 2015 cohort concurrently with finishing my PhD in physics at Penn State.  Through TDI I landed a job at Optoro, an e-commerce start-up in Washington, DC.

The course was amazingly comprehensive in covering the tools and techniques most in-demand in industry today. Many of the topics we covered came up in interviews and problem sets during my job applications, and I wouldn’t have done nearly as well as I did in my job search without the skills I gained in the course.

Another great thing about the program was the opportunity to hear directly from company representatives during the panel discussions. This helped me get a feel for the lay of the land and discover what types of jobs were out there. There were a lot of companies where I never would have considered applying, but once I heard what they were doing with data and about the scope of their technical ambitions, I became really interested.

If you're thinking of applying, be persistent - it's quite common to apply several times before being admitted (I applied twice).  Overall the program is a lot of work but it is worth every hour you put into it.

• William Groves • Data Scientist • Graduate

At the end of my Computer Science PhD program, I attended the Data Incubator session in NYC in early-2015. I am very satisfied with my experience and recommend it to those with academic/research background looking for next steps.
    The greatest benefit of The Data Incubator is in the ability to ramp-up your job search very quickly and take it to the next level. The partner companies come to the program ready to interact with Fellows and to find good hiring matches that satisfy their needs. The Fellows come ready to demonstrate their abilities, to show how they can add value, and to jump into new opportunities. This convergence of interests is very special and benefits everyone involved. I know that I benefited from the opportunity to interact so intensively with the wide variety of partner companies in my own search process.
    Also, I especially enjoyed participating as part of the cohort in the NYC Data Incubator. Being located in NYC and interacting with the other fellows was very valuable. It helped me to understand my own strengths relative to others looking for similar opportunities. Coming together as a group all at once with similar goals to a new city helped to turn what is usually an individual effort into a more collaborative process. The connections formed within the group will help us far into our future careers.

• Andrew • Senior Financial Data Scientist • Graduate

I was a fellow during the summer of 2015 in DC. The Data Incubator helped me become a much more competitive applicant for jobs in the data science industry. By completing a collection of projects, I became much more proficient in the tools a data scientist needs to know and had multiple points to show off during job interviews. I also got to network with and befriend many other bright fellows who have since moved on to great jobs. I myself was hired at my current job through the Incubator, so it's hard to argue with results.

To those considering the incubator, you will definitely benefit from the experience, but be prepared to work ~12-14 hour days throughout most of the program. It's hard work, but it pays off.

• Dan • Risk Modeling Senior • Graduate

I attended The Data Incubator with a very talented and highly motivated group of recent and soon to be PhDs in engineering, physics, math, neuroscience, psychology, and linguistics. We spent our days working on challenging mini projects and evenings polishing the pitches for our capstone projects. In between we met employers at partner panels, happy hours, and pitch nights. I ended up taking a job from one of the hiring partners and am really glad that I was a fellow at TDI.

• Dorian Goldman • Dorian Goldman • Graduate

The Data Incubator surrounded me with incredibly smart, motivated Fellows who all had similar goals and backgrounds. Being in that environment, and having the structure of the program and the demands of my project, were essential to my education.

A talented instructor is not supposed to implant information into your mind, but rather function as a tour guide in a difficult landscape of concepts of varying relevance. The Data Incubator team did an incredible job of emphasizing the most important and fundamental concepts that a data scientist needs to know in his career – I know, because all of these things were confirmed in my first week at my new job.

I can't imagine having tried to find a job without The Data Incubator faciliating all of the connections we made.

• Brian Farris • Data Scientist • Graduate

I was in the Spring 2015 cohort in NYC. I was very happy with the program. In two months, I was able to learn a ton, and ultimately land a job I am very happy with at Capital One Labs.

The most valuable thing I got out of The Data Incubator was the ability to meet people from industry through the partner panels and happy hours. For me this served two purposes. First, it was an extremely efficient way to do a lot of networking in a short amount of time, which greatly increases the chance of finding a job. It is much easier to initiate a dialogue with a hiring partner if you have already met someone from the company in person.

Second, I learned a lot about the landscape of the industry, which helped me figure out what I was looking for in a job. Over the course of the program, I was introduced to companies that weren’t on my radar and found myself very interested in them. Once you are in The Data Incubator program, there are too many partner companies on the list to be able to seriously pursue them all. You have to know what you are looking for in order to focus your efforts, and I definitely gained that focus over the course of the program.

• Matt L • Data Scientist • Graduate

I was a tenure-track scientist when I decided to move to a job as a data scientist in industry after I got frustrated with funding issues in academia.  I was very happy with the Data Incubator course which met all my expectations an more. I was introduced to many concepts that I had just touched on in some online courses I had taken prior to the course. By having weekly mini projects, I was forced to understand the material more. Whilst there were lectures to accompany the mini-projects, in order to complete them I was forced to do some research on my own which was a valuable thing. We weren’t just fed the answers.

On top of this, as an online Fellow, I appreciated being split into small groups. In my case, this worked really well and I would encourage others in the same situation to use this to their advantage and hold regular meetings.

The course provides practical interview prep and works with a large number of companies which makes finding a job after the course that much easier.  Often, as in the car of the company I ended up at, companies hire from the Data Incubator after hiring fellows from previous cohorts.  This shows that the Data Incubator graduates are held in high esteem by the hiring companies which shows the strength of the course.  I have no hesitation in recommending the Data Incubator to any aspiring data scientists.

• James S. • data scientist • Graduate

I applied to several data science programs.  This one had by-far the most rigorous admissions standards.  While it was a lot of working, after joining, I realized that it was well worth it because everyone you meet in the program is a genius.  And I'm not exaggerating.  I was sitting next to a guy who did his PhD research with a Nobel Laureate!

Being surrounded by the most inspiring, passionate, intelligent, and dedicated students meant I learned so much from my peers.  And that's on top of the industry-leading staff that taught the courses.  Their network is also really strong, especially in the Bay Area and NYC so I now have a built in network of data scientists.  I know that some employers don't even consider applicants who are not graduates from this program (I know we certainly don't)!

I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a job in industry as a data scientist or data analyst.

• Xiuying • Data Scientist • Graduate

The data scientists at The Data Incubator taught us so much about data science -- from mathematics and statistics to machine-learning, natural language processing, mapreduce, and spark.  I really learned many useful things that I would not have learned on my own.

We got to run real mapreduce and spark jobs on 100-node clusters on AWS.  It was very impressive to employers.  This is the kind of experience you never get to have if you are just learning on your own.  I also met make great friends who are great professional network for me now.

You can learn more about them at their fellowship page.  And of course, I got a great job working at a top bank.  I love this program!

• Amazing program
    - 3/29/2016
    P. Singh • Data Scientist • Graduate

I love this program.  I had to apply twice but was finally admitted.  The program was very tough to get into and it was really a very intense course -- you have to work very hard even when you get in.  But I learned a lot.

Most important, they had great relationships with employers.  As a foreign student, it can be hard to get a job in the US.  The team at The Data Incubator connected me to many opportunities and helped me get a job.  I am very grateful!