the-data-incubator-logo

The Data Incubator

Boston, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Washington

The Data Incubator

The Data Incubator offers an intensive full-time, 8-week Data Science Fellowship, a part-time, 20-week Data Science Fellowship, and a full-time, 8-week Data Engineering Fellowship in NYC, San Francisco, Washington D.C., and online. Designed by experienced data science instructors and with feedback from industry partners, TDI’s data programs help students master in-demand skills so they can launch a data career. The course accepts applicants who have degrees in STEM and equips them with the final skills to be self-sufficient, productive contributors to data science.

The Data Incubator's Fellowship application process is online, and applicants should have a strong scientific training where they can work with data programmatically and make valid real-world inferences based on data. Applicants typically have a strong background in probability, statistics, and experience with programming, scripting, or statistical packages.

The Data Incubator also helps companies find new hires through the fellowship programs.The program is free to those accepted into the Fellow Scholarship, and employers pay a Fellow's tuition fee if they are successfully hired. Students receive mentorship from hiring companies throughout the program and will build a capstone portfolio that employers value.

The Data Incubator is a Pragmatic Institute company.

Recent The Data Incubator Reviews: Rating 4.32

all (34) reviews for The Data Incubator →

Recent The Data Incubator News

Read all (6) articles about The Data Incubator →
  • Data Engineering Full-Time

LocationOnline, San Francisco, Washington, New York City
    The Data Engineering Fellowship is designed to bridge the gap between the computer sciences and data engineering. You’ll master the skills needed to design better data models, build data infrastructures, automate data pipelines, maintain data architecture and effortlessly work with massive datasets. This program is ideal for those with a computer science or software engineering background who have a passion for improving productivity with data and enjoy the challenge of the constantly evolving sources of semi-structured data. You’ll learn the crucial skills of building the sophisticated platforms that businesses desperately need to organize their data teams. In addition to great skills training, you’ll work on a capstone portfolio to showcase your knowledge. Choose the data that sparks your interest and build a platform that shows off your talent to future employers. To help you find your first—or next—job as a data engineer, we include a robust career services program. If you’re interested in our limited, tuition-free fellowship spots, you only need to to complete the application. We select scholarship recipients from those we believe to be the most highly qualified.
    Financing is available through Ascent or other lenders of your choice.

We also offer income sharing, where you only pay your deposit until you start your career and are earning over a certain threshold. Income sharing is an agreement between you, TDI and our partner Leif. Check out our FAQ for more information.
    ScholarshipWe are proud to offer a small number of full-tuition scholarships for the Data Engineer program. All applicants will be considered for the scholarship and we select scholarship recipients from those we believe to be the most highly qualified.
    Minimum Skill LevelOne of the following: a Master’s or PhD degree completed before the program begins, a PhD degree that will be completed within 3 months of the conclusion of the program or a Bachelor’s degree and extensive experience in a data-related position.
  • Data Science Fellowship Full-Time

LocationSan Francisco, New York City, Washington, Online
    The Data Incubator's Data Science Fellowship Program is an immersive data science bootcamp for those with STEM degrees and a passion for data. Choose from our full-time, 8-week program, or our new part-time, 20-week program (evenings only) when you apply. You'll work closely with our expert instructors and fellow students to master in-demand skills to help launch your career in data science. Each section of the program includes several projects that showcase your world-class data science skills. Plus, you'll work with real-world data for each project to solve real-world business problems. On top of that great skills training, you'll work on your capstone project. Choose the public data set that sparks your interest and build a functioning tool to show off your talents to future employers. We are proud to offer a small number of full-tuition scholarships for the Data Science program. These tuition-free spots are only available for the full-time program. All applicants will be considered for the scholarship and we will select individuals we believe to be the most highly qualified. Financing is available through Ascent or other lenders of your choice. We also offer income sharing, where you only pay your deposit until you start your career and are earning over a certain threshold. Income sharing is an agreement between you, TDI and our partner Leif. Check out our FAQ for more information
    Financing is available through Ascent or other lenders of your choice.

Minimum Skill LevelOne of the following: a Master’s degree or PhD degree completed before the program begins. A PhD degree that will be completed within 3 months of the conclusion of the program or a Bachelor’s degree.
  • Data Science Fellowship Part-Time

LocationOnline, San Francisco, Washington, New York City

• Nick  User Photo
    Nick • Big Data Engineer • Applicant • Verified via LinkedIn
    I just finished grad school and applied to this program while looking for full-time positions. I was accepted into the program, but was unsure whether or not to accept because I was still waiting for various other applications and interview processes for real jobs to play out. I voiced this concern to whoever is in charge of their admissions and they assured me I would be able to cancel my contract (I planned to pay via their ISA option) before classes start. I accepted the agreement and signed an ISA contract, but then got a job offer before starting any classes. I asked them to cancel my contract, but of course they are now refusing and asking me to pay $17,000 for a program I never participated in. I've filed a Better Business Bureau complaint against them and my attorneys are threatening them with legal action and they have yet to cancel my contract. Avoid these super shady scam artists at all costs!!!
  • Scholar
    - 3/13/2021
    S  User Photo
    S • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Their numbers are not right. It is basically a data science school and not very helpful in landing jobs. Their hiring partner look for senior people which would not be found in a Data science cohort.

If you want to attend don't pay the tuition and use their assisting payment method. They will forget you after the cohort finishes if you pay the full tuition.
  • Fun!
    - 8/2/2018
    Anonymous  User Photo
    Anonymous • Graduate Verified via GitHub

TDI is an intensive fellowship program in data science. Very similar to what you would experience in corporate dynamic culture. However, don't expect to learn to coding or basic machine learning from scratch. You are expected to have basic understanding of ML and data science tool. I would strongly recommend you to do enough homework before you apply to avoid later disappointment. I took around 4-5 DS and ML classes on coursera before I applied.

• Andres Gonzalez Casabianca  User Photo
    Andres Gonzalez Casabianca • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The application process can be daunting and intimidating, however, each step has its reasons. This makes each cohort learn and progress in a homogeneous pace, which is key to a successful completion of the TDI.

I was part of the D.C 2017 winter cohort and the 8 weeks were key to position myself as a Data Scientist in the industry. You share and work collaboratively with the rest of the cohort, making it invaluable because you are not only learning from the diverse curriculum but also from your peers. At the end of the day, Data Science is both a Science and an Art, so different perspectives and approaches to problem-solving definitely enhance your skillset.

Additionally, there is a focus on soft skills, from getting your resume up to speed to effective communication. Each week there are dedicated sessions on how to tackle interview questions, how to sell yourself, and how to navigate opportunely the recruiting process, complementing TDI's rigorous technical curriculum.

Going to the TDI was not only enriching but also enjoyable. You come out of the program with a powerful network of top-notch data scientist, a second to none skillset and the right toolkit to navigate the corporate world.

• Anonymous  User Photo
    Anonymous • Applicant Verified via GitHub

After the interview, I was not admitted, but I now know what my weakness was - lack of a prepared project. The exam for which  4days are given consists of 3 parts. Two parts are questions with ~8 subquestions with increasing difficulty. Anyone with a basic data science and programming skills will answer those questions in 2-3 full days. What I'd recommend doing is to complete the 3rd questions - on your project. In their email, prior to the exam, they give a hint that they want the project to be in the draft form. It should be done on a large data set, interesting in analysis and in insight, and be implemented desirably as Heroku app  (and look similar to the ones in the Youtube videos of the projects). IMHO, if you'll prepare such a project you won't have a problem having a good grade. At that point - you might be already a good data scientist - apply for jobs independently. Good luck!

• Yina  User Photo
    Yina • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I highly recommend this 8-weeks intensive training at The Data Incubator (TDI), because it really helped me to go deeper into data science field and get fully prepared for the essential skills to work in a big data industry.

As a PhD graduate in chemistry background, the transition from academia to industry is not easy. But fortunately, I attended TDI during Winter 2017, and I gained full stack from the program, including the cutting-edge analytics techniques, programming, machine learning, data visualization as well as business mindset. The networking with all other talented fellows is definitely a plus! Needless to say, my 1st data scientist job with a hiring partner in less than a month from graduation is the most valuable thing I got out of TDI!

• Overall Experience:

As a recent graduate of the Winter 2018 cohort, going through the 8-week intensive data science training at The Data Incubator has taught me a great deal about various data science tools and has prepared me with the essential skills to thrive at my first data science job. I've gained a full data science stack, such as creating a web application, web-scraping, data cleaning, exploratory analysis and visualization, SQL, machine-learning, big data tools, and cloud computing, as well as a business mindset. More importantly, networking with and learning from other talented and brilliant fellows has taught me a lot about myself and how to become a great data scientist. More importantly, I made a lot of connections that I can see will be long term.

• Tim Weinzirl  User Photo
    Tim Weinzirl • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via Linkedin

I attended The Data Incubator during Spring 2017. I earned a data science position with a hiring partner in the San Francisco financial district within three weeks of graduating. Below I enumerate the many aspects of The Data Incubator I found valuable.

Resume building:
    Starting at the semi-finalist level, applicants are provided strategies for resume writing. With some careful thought, I was able to portray seemingly bland parts of my academic background as eye-catching resume bullet points. Time is also dedicated in the first days of the program for polishing resumes yet again before final submission to the employer-facing online resume book.

Professional headshot:
    Prior to the program, Fellows and Scholars are advised to get a professional headshot.  I had never done this before (or really had been aware of such services), but I realized it was an important part of going all in. While this can be expensive, Fellows who successfully join a partner company are reimbursed for the headshot (I was).

Structured curriculum and weekly miniprojects:
    The data science curriculum includes lectures, daily coding challenges, and miniprojects. Weekly lectures are accompanied by IPython notebooks mixing text exposition with runnable code. There is a lot of lecture material to master every week, and persevering here helps with interviews and the miniprojects. The notebooks encapsulate the advanced features of scikit-learn, SQL, and big data tools (Hadoop, Spark), and they make for indispensable reference material after the program. The miniprojects are essentially problem sets and provide hands-on experience with these tools.

The capstone project:
    This is meant to be an application of data science to a publicly available (or scrapable) data set that is ultimately presented as a web application.  It is adisable to have a rough draft, or at least a strong start, on the project before beginning the program, so start thinking about this before applying. There are several upshots to doing well on the capstone: 1) You have a recent data project to talk about in interviews that is more substantive than any of the individual miniprojects, 2) Practice building a web app (e.g., with Flask) for deployment on cloud services (e.g., Heroku), 3) Practice pitching your project in weekly video updates; for these videos, I learned how to edit video/sound with Openshot and to splice in images and screen capture footage of my project.

Soft skills lectures and interview practice:
    Soft skills lectures provide coaching for resume writing, onsite interviews, and salary negotiations. Weekly interview practice covers computer science and statistics problems of varying difficulty, both on pen/paper and in front of a whiteboard.

Summary:
    The Data Incubator is an extremely worthwhile experience. The components of the program outlined above have a snowball-like cumulative effect at turning academics into viable industry job candidate, commensurate with the effort they put into preparation before and during the program.

• Aurora LePort  User Photo
    Aurora LePort • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via Linkedin

TDI laid the foundation of knowledge for computer science and data science related concepts. The TDI curriculum provided me the breadth and depth of knowledge necessary to understand everything from software engineering and numerical computation to the use of programming tools (including Python and d3 for data visualization), Natural Language Processing, statistics and probability as well as the ability to apply parallel processing to data analysis. Importantly, TDI also prepared me for the technical questions asked during my data science interviews.

• A game changer
    - 10/16/2017
    Luis  User Photo
    Luis • Research Scientist • Graduate Verified via Linkedin

Learning:

The Data Incubator was an outstanding experience. I got to know and work with some of the brightest minds there are, the cohort included Ph.D's and PosDocs from Stanford, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Yale among others. We were all gathered in the same place to exchange ideas and tackle our very demanding weekly projects (a different relevant subject each week) while working on our final, capstone project.

I was exposed so many different technologies, from big data to deep learning, from statistical analysis tools to machine learning, some of them I already knew and some were new to me.

Interviewing:

They have a great list from hiring partners all over the US (and many abroad), including very big names from Silicon Valley and Seatle.

We had weekly interviewing practice, from hard to soft skills, from coding to communicating.

Your success is their success, it is a win-win scenario.

• Elham  User Photo
    Elham • Graduate Research Assistant • Applicant Verified via LinkedIn

Hi,

I am a PhD student in Mechanical Engineering. For my career, I’ve gave it a lot of thoughts and I chose to be a data scientist, so I got my minor in statistics. I’m going to graduate by the end of 2017. While ago, I received an email about Data incubator. I though it’s a good opportunity for me to learn more about data scientist and it’s going to be great for my resume. The first time that I applied for Data Incubator, it asked for recommendations and resume and the next step was link to a test, when it was the time for the test, the link wasn’t working. They emailed applicants after couple of days and apologized for the technical problem and gave us new timing for the test which didn’t work for me. After 6 months, I received another email from Data Incubator which said they kept my recommendation and encouraged me to apply again. I did and this time I got to the test. The test was super time consuming. In one question the data was related to 600,000 people who applied for a loan from a company and they were looking for real answers like the fraction of 36 month loans to 48 month or Pearson correlation between return rate and interest rate and more complicated stuff. Only this question had 12 parts and each part took me lots of time to code in R and I had to copy my code to the exam page! Another question was proposing a project that could be a good reason for a company to hire me, Also, I had to provide the code for the project and presenting it and post it on Youtube and create the github version of it. As you can guess see it was lots of work. I went through all and it took me 3 full days to get it done and submit all they asked! Then, I received an email that I pass the exam successfully and I’m the finalist and should get ready for the video conference interview. In the interview, there were 5 other poor PhD students that worked hard to prove themselves. I thought I did good job in the interview. Any ways, few days ago, I got the result from Data Incubator. They said congratulations on my selection but as a scholar! What does it mean?! When I opened the acceptance letter they asked for $1000 deposit, and it's not all, I have to pay $15000 more before the program gets started in September! I have to work for them for free for 8 weeks and pay them $16000, plus I’m responsible for my place and meals. Just imagine how much renting a place for 8 weeks in large cities like San Francisco or New York is going to cost?!

$16000 is approximately my 12 months income since I’m still a student and I believe it’s pretty much the same for all other PhD students around the country! So, I think Data Incubator is just a modern way of scientific fraud.

The fact is getting job in industry for a PhD student is really hard specially because PhD students are overqualified for most of the positions. Data incubator abuses this need of poor students and make them work hard for free and asks for $16000 for 8 weeks teaching material that you can access on Youtube for free!

Another thing that you have to know is that Data Incubator sponsor companies are not willing to hire people who participated in the program because they have to pay to Data Incubator! Funny, isn’t it!

I got really disappointing after all I went through to pass many hard steps of their competition. I hope my sad experience helps you save your time energy and effort. Do not get trapped. My last advice: all we need is a little self-confidence, we are PhDs for God sake, we deserve to have good jobs in great companies!

Response From: Alyssa Thomas of The Data Incubator
    Title: Director, Program Experience
    Wednesday, Aug 23 2017
    Elham,
    Congratulations on being accepted as a Scholar this session! We know it can be hard to find out that you haven't been selected as a Fellow, but with a large number of applicants every session we have to make some very difficult decisions.  In the end less than 1% of our applicants are accepted as Fellows, and only about 2% as Scholars. Many of our most successful students applied to the program more than once before being accepted as Fellows, and we encourage anyone who is serious about a career in Data Science to keep trying! We also provide a blog post with application tips here: http://blog.thedataincubator.com/2014/09/how-to-prepare-for-the-data-incubator/

While we understand your concern about the amount of work involved in the application - the work that our students do throughout the program is entirely their own. The Data Incubator does not own any rights to the work completed throughout the program, just the curriculum and training material itself, which is not available to anyone except our students.

With regards to our hiring partners - over 90% of Data Incubator graduates are working in Data Science roles within 6 months of graduation. Our partners do pay a fee for hiring our graduates - this is why we can offer the Fellowship for free and it is a key component of keeping the program cost as low as possible for our Scholars. We are sensitive to the cost of the program though, which is why we offer a 50% tuition refund for scholars who are placed with hiring partners.

We take our commitment to finding industry jobs for our Fellows very seriously, but that is also why we can only admit a small percentage of applicants. We strongly encourage all applicants to keep trying and improving their coding skills in the meantime!
  • Awesome program!
    - 6/8/2018
    Xia Hong • Graduate

Completing miniprojects on diverse and up-to-date topics really helped me to be confident about how to apply my technical skills on solving problems in practical situations. The hands-on experience from end to end, especially the relevance of the techniques to that in industry, is going to be a long term benefit for me and certainly for any previous and current fellow.

The opportunity to have conversation and build relationship with different companies. This is not only for landing a job but more for a healthy business relationship in a long term. Getting the benefit from the bridge built up by The Data Incubator between fellows and partners is one thing. Another important goal of networking is for future communication and collaborations. Here comes our Fellows. I kept in touch with some of the fellows after we finish the program and we keep each other posted. It is invaluable having fellows experience the transition from academia to industry together including sharing thoughts and helping each other.