SV Academy is a free 4-week full-time and 12-week part-time online business development bootcamp available anywhere in the world with a strong internet connection. Students will learn the skills needed to become competent and productive business development representatives. SV Academy’s remote 4-week program requires 40 hours per week of online instruction for the first 4 weeks of pre-hire training, and their 12-week program requires about 20 hours per week of online instruction for the first 12 weeks of pre-hire training. During this period, participants will be involved in live classes, complete weekly assignments, meet with mentors and coaches and get some down to earth real-life experiences in key factors of the job. The school aims to help hard-working Americans break into the tech industry and become part of a life-long community of high performers.
The application process involves completion of the application form, numerous chats, and assignments to complete, and a final interview with role-playing scenarios. No prerequisite skills, business experience, or a perfect GPA is needed for enrollment. Tuition is free to the enrollee and is employer-funded. SV Academy is looking for flexible, committed job seekers with strong written and verbal communication abilities who are comfortable with feedback coupled with heavy workloads.
After getting to know the student during the 4-week full-time or the 12-week part-time pre-hire training, SV Academy will prepare and guide students for full-time jobs, matching them with prospective employers with whom their goals, personality, and skills fit nicely. Relocation to San Francisco or New York is required at this point for the full-time employment portion of the program. The mentors and coaches at SV Academy will then follow the students for the first year in their first full-time job, helping them to maneuver the rough spots of new employment in a new career.
Recent SV Academy Reviews: Rating 4.47
Recent SV Academy News
Start Date None scheduled Cost $0 Class size N/A Location OnlineEnrollees will learn the skills to become competent and productive business development representatives during their 4-week pre-hire training. During this period, participants will be involved in live classes, complete assignments each week, meet with mentors and coaches and get some down to earth real-life experiences in key factors of the job. SV Academy’s program, which is 100 percent virtual, requires 40 hours per week of online instruction for the first 4 weeks of pre-hire training.
Minimum Skill Level SV Academy is looking for flexible, committed job seekers with strong written and verbal communication abilities who are comfortable with feedback coupled with heavy workloads. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
SV Academy Reviews
15 reviews sorted by:
- Gabby • Business Development Representative • Student • Course: Fellowship • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInThis Fellowship Program Helped Me Land My Dream Job In Tech Sales In Under 6 Weeks!!
ProsThis fellowship launched my career into tech sales in 6 weeks!! Can't say enough good things about this program, it's structure, content, and advising/mentoring team! The first two weeks I learned about the role of a Sales/Business Development Representative (which is the job this fellowship trains you for). The next two weeks I put the learnings to practice in an internship where I got to do the work that will be expected of me in seat (prospecting leads, setting up a sequence of planned outreach via cold calls, emails, LinkedIn messages). I learned so many tools (such as Zoom, LinkedIn Sales Navigator, Salesloft, Salesforce, Vidyard, etc.) and I got incredible coaching on my interviewing skills to prepare me for interviewing for jobs. The final two weeks I was actively interviewing with several different companies my mentor in this program knew would be a good fit any they definitely were!! I accepted an offer with the tech company of my dreams only 6 weeks after starting this fellowship! I didn't just gain a job, but also a whole community of colleagues and mentors to take with me throughout the rest of my career and personal life!
ConsAll I would stress here is the importance of motivating yourself to grow and improve throughout this program professionally and personally. SV Academy will give you all of the tools you need to succeed in this role, but the ownership of your success in this fellowship is on YOU! Be professional, have a great work ethic, be coachable, and be ready to develop your emotional intelligence as well. What you are willing to put into this program is what you'll get out of it. Be prepared to commit 8 hours per day to being in live online video classes, and be willing to put in more work and effort individually outside of these hours as well. If this sounds like something you are prepared to commit to in order to reach your goal of starting a career in tech sales, then study this fellowship, be prepared to answer why you want this opportunity, and GO APPLY!!
- SVA Graduate and Employed SDR- 2/15/2020Paula Holloway • Sales Development Representative • Course: Fellowship • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInPros:
- Fellowship is free
- Instructors and SVA team really invest in you, you are paired with a mindset coach, communications coach, interview readiness coach, and mentors.
- There is always someone there for you to ask questions SVA guides you through the entire process from start (applying to the fellowship) and finish (accepting your job offer)
- Network of SVA community
- A lot of meetings
I was looking to change industries and SVA allowed me to do that without having to go back to school to study something new. Highly recommend!
- Here's Your Chance to Change Your Life- 2/8/2020Terry Pernell • Graduate • Course: Fellowship • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInYou're going to learn all the skills you've read about in all the reviews you've read, become apart of a family of bright, ambitious, driven, and empathic individuals; you'll be one too. If you already are one, you'll be even more of the aforementioned.
Be prepared to start your brand new wonderful life with a brand new wonderful mindset. Bon Voyage!
- Your way into Silicon Valley- 12/14/2019Ryan Tseng • SDR • Student • Course: Fellowship • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
Great curriculum with an incredibly supportive staff. SVA will teach you all you have to know to succeed as an SDR including what the role entails, tech tools you'll be using, successes and struggles you'll be going through, and the best strategies to be successful in winning over prospects.
In addition to the curriculum, SVA provides an enormous amount of resources and mentors, so all you're questions and concerns are answered with depth and care.
- Break into the Tech Industry!- 2/8/2020Andrew Good • SDR • Graduate • Course: Fellowship • Campus: OnlineApplying to SV Academy was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Their curriculum familiarizes you with the SDR role while challenging you to develop a professional growth mindset, and I was highly impressed by the caliber of the fellows in my cohort as well as the staff and instructors. SVA connects you to a network of people who genuinely care about your professional development and they will get you a foot in the door at exciting tech startups! Beyond that, they are simply a great team of people who really do care about helping you become your best!
- Best Career Decision Ever- 2/7/2020Alicia Mitchell • SDR • Graduate • Course: Fellowship • Campus: OnlineWhen I initially saw the post for SV Academy on LinkedIn I thought it was too good to be true. After connecting with a few fellows through LinkedIn I decided this was the right path to kick start my sales career.
This program will demand another level of you, but if you are dedicated to learning the processes you will reap the benefits of a rewarding career in tech sales.
The curriculum is designed to give you hands on experience with industry leaders!
- You get what you put in it- 1/19/2020Billy • SDR • Graduate • Course: Fellowship • Campus: Online
I took this fellowship very seriously and landed a job as an SDR in Tech. They delivered on their promise from A-Z. This fellow goes from training material, interview prep, then it is YOUR job to execute on the interviews.
I wish we went over Salesforce a bit more, but you'll pick it up once you work at your company. (Minor detail)
- Exceptional Program!- 11/23/2019Andrew • Enterprise BDR • Graduate • Course: Fellowship • Campus: Online
Finding and being accepted into the SV Academy Fellowship has been life-altering in the best possible way. I was stuck in a comfort zone (aka - a rut) for some years with the jobs that I was used to doing. I have lived in Silicon Valley for over a decade now and had never felt like I could actually be part of it career-wise. Breaking into the tech sector, even as an entry-level SDR, is NOT easy. I'm so thankful that a couple of great minds came together and saw the opportunity to help open that door for people like me.
The program is very intelligently designed with very practical assignments and educational material. They have coaching for every arena pertinent to the endeavor. And, they follow-through and deliver on their promise all the way. That being said, it is up to YOU to put in the work. They won't hold your hand or check on you about late assignments. The threshold for lack of effort is low, but their employer network is counting on them to deliver the best, ready-to-go SDR's around.
Having recently graduated, I've already received two job offers and have officially accepted. I'm very excited about the future and the continued support through the SV Academy Community over the next 12 months!
- Your Golden Ticket- 11/17/2019Malcolm • Sales Development Representative • Graduate • Campus: Online
I had a great experience with SV Academy. I thought it was too good to be true: a free bootcamp with guaranteed placement at a top startup in NYC. After asking around my personal network I decided to take a shot and it was the best decision that I've ever made. Within two months I was placed at a startup and tripled my salary overnight. Two things especially contributed to this: they had great interview prep with one on one coaching and they were able to leverage their network to get me in front of two companies a week until I was placed. The interview process was hands down the toughest I have ever been through and I thought very highly of my interview skills going into the program. You will be expected to demonstrate you can perform the duties of an SDR: creative prospecting, conduct a discovery call, explain how you work with a sales stack etc. You will have the experience of the training to draw from.
There are a few things to keep in mind: one is that while the program is remote there are some parts of the program that are not asynchronous. If you live on the East Coast, expect to make some adjustments as the times are usually based on PST. The staff was great about working with me on that. Another thing is the time committment- if you work full time any "free time" you have will be occupied by this program. Be sure to submit your assignments on time. If you keep up with your end of the bargain they will set you up nicely.
- Life changer!- 11/1/2019Diego • Account ExecutiveSVA has helped me to break into tech and position myself in a closing role for a SaaS company in SF!
I was accepted to be part of the SVA fellowship in December 2018 while being based in Peru. During the training phase (first three months of the program) I learned everything that I needed to be successful as an SDR: using empathy and active listening to engage in meaningful conversations with prospects, how to approach a cold call, write creative emails, how to take rejection on the head, develop my own workflow, and understand deeply the SDR role, among others.
Once the initial training and internship were over I moved to SF to start the interviewing process. During my first week in the Bay Area, I interviewed with 5 high potential start-ups that offered technology solutions aligned with my experience (business and data analysis). After two weeks of phone calls and on-site interviews, I was extended an offer by Alation (creators and leaders in the enterprise data catalog market), a top tier fast-growth start-up. All of the anxious feelings that I had (moving to a new country without a job) were replaced by reassurance, knowing I had a great organization that cared about my professional growth and were true to their promise.
After several months of hard work at Alation as an SDR, with more than a couple of thousand cold calls and more than many successfully qualified prospects under my belt, the second milestone in my career materialized. I transitioned to a closing role as an account executive for another enterprise SaaS start-up in the Bay Area. All of these events unfolded in a quasi-celestial manner all thanks to the support from SVA coaches, mentors, the network of partners, fellows and founders Rahim and Joel. Without them, this would not have happened.
In summary, it has been a crazy ride… moving from Peru to San Francisco, getting my first job offer within two weeks of relocating to the US, and signing for an AE role within a year.
- Worst fellowship application ever- 9/5/2020AnonymousHaters. First they call you gathering all this information as to why you reaching out to them and why you interested in a career in sales. Yadayadayada. You can immediately tell how they “pick” people. Then some fake white girl asks you to email a sample email which their website fails to send. False advertising that you pay 0 until you land a job. They prefer you if you pay. Total scam scheme
- Business Development Fellow- 3/23/2020Anonymous • Student • Course: Fellowship • Campus: OnlineThis company is literally built so that its fellows enter the tech industry and are successful upon entering. I was in a place in my career where I had built all these skills sets but desperately needed a career change; I committed to the program fully and it paid off. I just got hired at a solid tech company in New York City!!
My success is SVA's success, and that mentality shows through in the entirety of the program. They provide you with teachers, mentors, coaches, etc that are all committed to helping you every step of the way.
This experience has honestly changed my career and my life. I am so grateful for this avenue that the people at SVA have helped me pave for myself.
Applying to SV Academy was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
** This is a free program, thus it is highly selective and time intensive. You have to be committed to this. I managed to do it working two (relatively flexible) jobs. I had to make sure I managed my time. It was tough. PLAN ACCORDINGLY. This program is legitimate and thus requires your time.
If I can do it balancing two jobs, I believe anyone who really wants this can as well. And the payoff is real. Manage your time and commit to the dream.