skill-distillery-logo

Skill Distillery

Denver

Skill Distillery

Skill Distillery is an intensive, 16-week Java bootcamp in Denver, Colorado. The course is arranged into three units – Java Programming, Server-side Java, and Front-end Development. The curriculum focuses on the fundamentals of programming, Java (and its libraries), unit testing, Spring, Spring MVC, and using a source code repository. Students will also gain experience deploying web content to a web server and navigating the server file system from the command line. Skill Distillery graduates will be prepared to take the Oracle Certified Associate – Java Programmer exam and will be on track for a career as a web interface designer or a full stack application developer.

No prior coding experience is required; instead, Skill Distillery looks for driven, determined and passionate people wanting to make a change in their life. Prospective applicants must complete an online assessment, meet with an admissions advisor, and finish a logic test.

Skill Distillery’s parent company, Batky-Howell, has more than 25 years of experience training more than 40,000 IT professionals from companies such as HP, Lockheed Martin, Level3, Time Warner and Disney.

Recent Skill Distillery Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (107) reviews for Skill Distillery →

Recent Skill Distillery News

Read all (4) articles about Skill Distillery →
  • Full-Stack Web Development w/ Java Bootcamp (Online)

SQL, MySQL, JavaScript, Java, HTML, Git, Front End, CSS, AngularJS
    LocationDenver
    Become a software engineer in as little as 16 weeks. Upcoming 2020 Cohort Dates SD 27 July 13, 2020 SD 28 September 21, 2020 SD 29 November 9, 2020
    Deposit$1,000 * Applied toward total tuition cost.
    Tuition PlansMonthly payment plan options are available
    ScholarshipScholarships are awarded based on need, to ensure high-potential students have access to the training they need to enter the technology workforce. Scholarships are awarded for up to 50% off tuition https://skilldistillery.com/scholarship/
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkYes: 40-60 hours
  • Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite)

Java, HTML, CSS, Git, JavaScript, MySQL, SQL
    LocationDenver
    Upcoming 2020 Cohort Dates: SD 27 July 13, 2020 SD 28 September 21, 2020 SD 29 November 9, 2020
    Deposit$1,000 *Goes towards total tuition cost of $19,950
    Climb Credit
    Meritize
    ScholarshipScholarships are awarded based on need to ensure high-potential students have access to the training they need to enter the technology workforce. Scholarships are awarded for up to 50% of tuition. https://skilldistillery.com/scholarship/
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkYes; 40-60 hours
  • Part-Time Full-Stack Java

SQL, REST, MySQL, MVC, Java, GitHub
    LocationDenver
    Skill Distillery’s Java full-stack programming is an immersive, hands-on program where you learn the critical coding skills to build a lasting career as a full-stack Java application developer. Our goal is to create an environment where you can focus on building the skills you need to transition into a career you love.
    Tuition financing options available through Climb
    Refund / GuaranteeThe deposit is 100% refundable.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo prior experience is necessary
    Prep WorkOnce you have been accepted into the program, there is required prework.
  • Web Development with Java (Online)

MySQL, Java
    LocationDenver
    We started with a simple question: What programming skills will give our students a competitive edge in today's job market? We did the research, and Java is the clear winner. Java gives our graduates twice as many job opportunities. For over 15 years, Java has been and is one of the most popular programming languages worldwide with over 51 billion Java Virtual Machines installed.* The bottom line is Java is here to stay! When it comes to Java we "wrote the book." We have trained over 40,000 students in Java over 20 years as well as published Java training materials used by companies worldwide. No other school comes close to our Java experience and expertise.
    Financing is available through CLIMB Credit Loan

In Full: $14,950

Monthly Payments: $4,650

0% Interest Loan: $581

Monthly Payments During and After Course

Climb Credit Loan: $81-$175
    Monthly Payments During Course ($479-$532 for 36 months after course)

Pay After You Get Hired: $774**
    Tuition PlansIn Full: $14,950 Monthly Payments: $4,650 0% Interest Loan: $581 Monthly Payments During and After Course Climb Credit Loan: $81-$175 Monthly Payments During Course ($479-$532 for 36 months after course) Pay After You Get Hired: $774**
    Refund / GuaranteeYes
    ScholarshipYes. See website for details.
    Minimum Skill LevelHS Diploma
    Prep WorkPre-work is provided once accepted into the program.

• $500 Skill Distillery Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Skill Distillery scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) (Denver)
  • Jeanne • Technical Project Manager • Graduate
    I am a graduate of cohort 27 - 16 week Full-Stack Development with Java - and attest to the fact that Skill Distillery (SD) is all it claims to be. Like most things in life, you get with you give. If you apply yourself, show up daily, and ask for help when you need it, you will have the skills necessary to excel as a full stack software developer. The curriculum is spot on providing you with the necessary concepts making it easy to learn additional languages.

SD is a family first and foremost. Every employee lives and breaths the SD Values.  Cohorts are small thus valuing personalized attention and success over profits. Every person is valued and feedback is not only valued but heeded. The alumni network is second to none. Complete strangers ban together providing assistance to one another whether you have a coding problem you’re trying to solve, learning a new language, or figuring the complexity of Hacker Rank / LeetCode.

The instructors are very knowledgeable and experienced. They are patient and open to questions as well as being creative and practical in their presentation of the material helping to keep you engaged when you think you cannot possibly learn yet another new concept. The teaching assistants have been in your seat and provide wonderful support and guidance without solving the problem for you.

Like most boot camps and computer science schools, Skill Distillery does not guarantee job placement. However, through out the boot camp brown bags are offered providing support for setting up your LinkedIn profile and crafting your resume. After graduation, instructors and previous graduates gave of their time to provide one-on-one mock interviews. The alumni network has a job search channel on which openings are constantly being posted. If you desire to work for one of the big firms (Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc), you will need to do additional studying on Big O and algorithms. Udemy is a wonderful and inexpensive resource. SD has great contacts for veterans.
  • Jourdan Rentschler • Graduate

This was the best decision I ever made! I was currently in a dead-end sales job and not happy with where my career was going. I decided to take a leap of faith and do a career pivot into Computer Programming. I have now found the passion that has been burning inside of me! The Full Stack Java Web Development Program at Skill Distillery was the best! This bootcamp is no joke, you need to put in the time, work, and effort but just know you will be rewarded 100% once you graduate! The instructors are the best and are there to help you get placed into the right job! So if you are on the fence, think no more, DO IT! You will NOT regret it! #SD27

Pros:  The course is full of knowledge and you might think you are drinking from the fire hose but it is well worth it!!!! Trust the process! The Instructors are there to help you no matter what, so you will not be suffering in silence! The money you are investing is worth it x5!

Cons: My cohort was during the Covid-19 pandemic so it was all virtual - which was still amazing! But if you're not used to online learning - that might be a challenge - but the instructors and the team are there to help you and they made it just as wonderful! The only thing i would have to say is that I wish they offered a hard copy book of the material... all the material is online - but for myself I need a text book in order to make notes in.
  • John • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I attended Skill Distillery in 2019 shortly after leaving the military.  Everything about the experience exceeded my expectations from the first day of class through graduating and getting my first job as a developer.  The instructors are amazing and the curriculum is well designed to give you what you need to compete as a junior developer.

The program is intense.  It's not easy, and is not for everyone.  You need to have the aptitude for this kind of work to be successful here, and they will help you decide if you are a good candidate during the admissions process.  You will begin coding on day one, and it doesn't slow down.  They call this a boot camp for a reason!  Between class and homework, plan on putting in at least 60 hours a week.

I was amazed at what my classmates and I were able to produce in this short time.  You will write literally dozens of small projects while learning Java, JavaScript, SQL, and HTML.  You will also design and build two fully functional web projects for the midterm and final.  A week or two into the course, I watched the class ahead of us present their final projects and I remember thinking there is NO WAY I could build something like that.  A couple of months later I was even more amazed when I did.

You might be thinking this sounds great, but can you actually get a job coming out of a boot camp?  In a word, YES.  Some of my classmates had interviews prior to graduation.  I had a substantial commute to/from class which left me no free time, so I decided to wait until graduation to start seriously applying for jobs.  I sent out maybe 15 or 20 resumes.  Within days of graduation I had a promising phone interview.   That lead to in person technical interview two days later, and I had a job offer before the week was over.  I have been working at this company for over a year, and can honestly say it's the best job I've ever had.

If you are motivated, disciplined, and not afraid of drinking from the fire hose, Skill Distillery can offer you the express lane to a career as a developer.  Give them a call. You will be glad you did.
  • Frank Martin • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I started programming in college for a semester and discovered coding bootcamps. I found Skill Distillery through VETTEC. It was one of the few schools that taught Full Stack Java Development along with Angular. I was having trouble learning how to learn programming and getting everything to stick prior to attending. I loved the model that was used to teach. We would have a lecture and a lab to enforce what we learned for every topic. Skill Distillery allowed me to transition from the medical field into a Software Engineer position. I currently work using Angular and almost everything I learned in the bootcamp.

The instructors and assistants for Skill Distillery were very helpful and compassionate when it came to teaching and some even stayed with us after class was over just in case we needed help. Skill Distillery also had a lot of workshops for job assistance in the second half of the program as well as after we finished our final projects. I recommend working on HTML and CSS before attending and during your downtime since this coding bootcamp is more backend heavy.

I highly recommend Skill Distillery for anyone in search for a coding bootcamp. Just remember you get what you put into it. I spent a lot of time during my downtime making sure I understood the material and it paid off for me in the end.

• Alexa Veigel • Software Engineer • Graduate
    Skill Distillery is a comprehensive and incredibly detailed program. They really create an environment where learning can thrive and give you all the tools needed to succeed in the “real world”.  From learning actual code, to rehearsing for interviews, down to beefing up your resume; they really cover the necessities.
  • Ankit • Graduate
    I attended Skill Distillery (SD) around end of Jan 2020 and graduated first week of May. I have only good things to sat about the program and especially about the instructors. The course work was very well laid out and had a very good structure to it. Although it is Full Stack, most of the focus was on the backend especially Java using Spring Framework. I cannot, and I write again, I just cannot say how good the instructors are. Rob, Denise, Alex, and Paul are all great. They have over 15-20 years of teaching experience and they know how to teach. They have a vast amount of knowledge but they know how to transfer it over. I cannot thank them enough. The whole program is like a family and Briana, Bruce were very understanding and made everyone feel home from day one. I was lucky to be in a cohort full of veterans, and this definitely helped me. I only have good things to say about the program and the people involved in it. However, I feel that the networking opportunities should be better. Overall, I would definitely recommend anyone trying to get into the software engineering field to attend Skill Distillery. You will learn a lot while feeling at home.
  • A Way Forward
    - 1/13/2020
    Jacob Shorter-Ivey • Software Developer • Graduate

Choosing to go to Skill Distillery was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I essentially picked up my whole life and moved across the country to attend, and I don’t regret it one bit. I was working on a computer science degree in college and felt like the degree was taking far too long, with a lot of irrelevant classes that made my course load feel bloated. It was simply a more effective use of my time to spend 4 short months in a boot camp vs. 4 long years at a university.

Skill Distillery being a 16 week full stack program that covers front and back-end means that you’ll have a lot more experience with a wide variety of technologies when compared to most other courses. This greatly improves the amount of jobs you’re qualified to apply for. The course is legitimately difficult because of the speed you learn these new technologies at, but with the help of the instructors (who actually have industry experience), it’s nothing you can’t do if you actually study and put effort into your assignments. I can’t recommend Skill Distillery enough.

• Travis • Graduate

Skill Distillery is a great bootcamp. I can't say enough good things about the material, the instructors, the assistant instructors, etc. The course as a whole is A LOT of work and is probably the HARDEST bootcamp around, but the resources and material provided, along with the excellent instructors and team as a whole, along with a strong personal work-ethic and commitment, make it totally doable. I'd highly recommend this school to anyone looking for a career as a developer.

• Chana • Full stack job applicant • Student

This was a very worthwhile experience. I'm coming from a very different field, and I needed a school that has strong connections to local businesses. I also wanted in-person instruction from instructors with experience in the field. This school far exceeded my expectations, and I feel well prepared to start a new career in a different field. The instructors are prepared to personalize instruction where needed, and they do a great job of breaking down complex topics for people unfamiliar with the content. The graduates also find work pretty quickly after completion, and the school is a big help with job search assistance.The entire staff is very open to student feedback, and I felt that they were very responsive. I'm very glad I came to this school. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to train or retrain for a new career.

• Best Program
    - 8/28/2019
    Dunwei Zheng • Graduate

Skill Distillery was one of the most challenging and over the top schools I have ever been to. Coming from a non coding background I believe what I have learned at this school has given me enough that I can succeed in this field of work. The Instructors here are very informative and down to earth they will help you whenever you need it but at the same time push you to the extreme to get you reading and breathing code. I will say this if you are not serious, can't handle pressure, and don't like failing this is probably not for you. Through this course you will come to understand that in coding you will have alot of pressure, you will be failing alot of code, and you will be playing catchup most of the program. But when everything finally connects you will be gratful for what this program has prepared you. You will be surprised at how much you know, and you will not regret it.

• Gregory Kraehenbuehl • Graduate

This boot camp isn't going to be easy. I think a lot of us made the analogy that it felt like standing in front of a firehose of information that we were frantically trying to absorb.

But I loved it, I remembered it all, and if I forgot anything I always had a fantastic resource to look back through to find my answers.

This boot camp will absolutely prepare you for your future, and they are some of the kindest and focused individuals you will get to work with to help you on your journey. When you are graduated, they encourage you to hang out and look for a job in their lobby, and ask for help with resumes and cover letters.

They are incredibly supportive, and the small class room (I had 10) means that you get a lot of focus and attention if you need it.

You'll have to work hard. I kid you not. It will be worth it though, and you'll be better for it, and the employers they know come to them specifically for students because they know we are well prepared and people who are capable of learning.

• LIFE CHANGING
    - 12/25/2018
    Novak Dobrosavljevic • Associate Java Developer • Graduate

SUMMARY

The learning process was intense consisting of 60+ hours of work a week. Each of the instructors was among the best I've ever had the privilege of learning from. I accepted a job offer I am incredibly excited about, for a position I really wanted, only a day after graduation. Overall, it was the best decision I have ever made.

In the following chapters, you can read about my background, other students' backgrounds, Skill Distillery's strengths, the school's weaknesses, financing, and the outcome.

MY BACKGROUND

Firstly, have no fears about your background. The first person who to have a job in my cohort had never completed their Bachelor's degree. That same person was consistently one of the top performers in the course and had multiple job-offers weeks before completing the course.

When I joined Skill Distillery, my experience with coding was next to none. A couple of months prior to attending the boot camp, I picked up some Ruby as a hobby, doing it for a few hours a week. That was enough for me to know that I want to turn that hobby into a profession. I had a bachelor's degree in business from Germany and experience in business development/sales. However, I do not think that either of these was needed for me to get a job. All you need is a combination of passion for technology and problem solving, discipline, and an always learning and collaborative mindset.

OTHER STUDENTS

Other students in my cohort came from all walks of life. From people who spent 23 years in the Military, to those who haven't been born that long ago. From people with no degrees to those with advanced ones. From business owners, through chefs, to insurance sales representatives. One thing they all had in common was that they were ready for a change and willing to learn.

WHY SKILL DISTILLERY (Strengths)

I did a lot of research before deciding which boot camp to enroll. Skill Distillery was a clear winner, and here are some of the reasons:

1) BEST CURRICULUM ON THE MARKET

Java is the most popular language in the world (source: tiobe.com). It is used in many disciplines - from Web Development, through IOT, to machine learning. It is an object-oriented language, just like any other of the six languages with the highest TIOBE index. If you only learn Javascript, like at most other boot camps, you will limit your possibilities immensely. Also, switching from a statically typed language to a dynamically-typed one (e.g., Python) is easier than vice versa. At Skill Distillery, you get to learn Java, as well as the most widely used technologies and frameworks used with Java for web development (Spring framework, Maven, Gradle, etc.). Finally, you will come out a very well rounded web developer, as you will learn front-end technologies such as Javascript and Angular, as well as MySQL, a language very similar to SQL, which used to talk with your relational database.

2) BEST INSTRUCTORS ON THE MARKET

At most boot camps, you will get to learn from recent boot camp graduates. At Skill Distillery, the instructors are world-class experts and have an average of at least 20 years in the industry. They are also great pedagogues, and their teaching style is very involving. Each student also gets the individual help they need whenever working on a project/homework. Finally, a big shout out to the teaching assistants who have done a great job, often sitting with us until very late hours on Saturdays, rather than enjoying one of Denver's breweries. Good job lads.

CONS OF SKILL DISTILLERY

1 ) EXTREMELY FAST PACE

The biggest con is that you have to learn all of the technologies I mentioned above, and so much more, in just 16 weeks. What that means is that almost every day you will be learning a whole lot of new things, and there is very little time to catch up on something you struggle with. I stayed many nights until after 11 pm to cope with such a pace, especially in the first 5 weeks.

On the positive side, we did get to work on two 10-day group projects, (a mid-term and a final project), which give you an excellent opportunity to work on your weaknesses and to exchange knowledge with your peers. Besides, you will get a week to prepare for Oracle's OCA exam, at which time you will get to solidify and improve your core Java skills.

FINANCING

Skill Distillery has a deal with Climb for loans, or, if you are a veteran, you can use GI Bill. I used Climb's loan to pay for the school. I am a recent immigrant, so my credit history is short, and therefore I got a very high interest rate. None the less, the return on investment is great. Consequently, even if your credit is not too good, it is probably still worth it getting a loan and attending this program.

Comparing to some other boot camps, financing options are lacking support for the cost of living. You will have to figure out how you will afford your living expenses during the boot camp, as you will not have any time to work. I strongly urge Skill Distillery to find a partner who will offer a loan for the cost of living in addition to the tuition amount, as that may open the doors of attending to a lot of people.

OUTCOME

My cohort graduated last week, yet 2/11 of us already have jobs. Another person created a cool application for which some real estate companies have already offered to pay a subscription fee.

Almost everyone from the two cohorts before mine found a job within 90 days of completing the course. The lowest salary accepted by an alumnus I have met was still above 60k, and the highest is over 90k. Everyone I talked to said that their income significantly increased compared to what they were making before attending the course, with some people doubling theirs.