skill-distillery-logo

Skill Distillery

Denver

Skill Distillery

Skill Distillery is an intensive, 16-week Java bootcamp in Denver, Colorado. The course is arranged into three units – Java Programming, Server-side Java, and Front-end Development. The curriculum focuses on the fundamentals of programming, Java (and its libraries), unit testing, Spring, Spring MVC, and using a source code repository. Students will also gain experience deploying web content to a web server and navigating the server file system from the command line. Skill Distillery graduates will be prepared to take the Oracle Certified Associate – Java Programmer exam and will be on track for a career as a web interface designer or a full stack application developer.

No prior coding experience is required; instead, Skill Distillery looks for driven, determined and passionate people wanting to make a change in their life. Prospective applicants must complete an online assessment, meet with an admissions advisor, and finish a logic test.

Skill Distillery’s parent company, Batky-Howell, has more than 25 years of experience training more than 40,000 IT professionals from companies such as HP, Lockheed Martin, Level3, Time Warner and Disney.

Recent Skill Distillery Reviews: Rating 4.65

all (101) reviews for Skill Distillery →

Recent Skill Distillery News

Read all (3) articles about Skill Distillery →
  • Full-Stack Web Development w/ Java Bootcamp (Online)

SQL, MySQL, JavaScript, Java, HTML, Git, Front End, CSS, AngularJS
    LocationDenver
    Become a software engineer in as little as 16 weeks. Upcoming 2020 Cohort Dates SD 27 July 13, 2020 SD 28 September 21, 2020 SD 29 November 9, 2020
    Deposit$1,000 * Applied toward total tuition cost.
    Tuition PlansMonthly payment plan options are available
    ScholarshipScholarships are awarded based on need, to ensure high-potential students have access to the training they need to enter the technology workforce. Scholarships are awarded for up to 50% off tuition https://skilldistillery.com/scholarship/
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkYes: 40-60 hours
  • Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite)

Java, HTML, CSS, Git, JavaScript, MySQL, SQL
    LocationDenver
    Upcoming 2020 Cohort Dates: SD 27 July 13, 2020 SD 28 September 21, 2020 SD 29 November 9, 2020
    Deposit$1,000 *Goes towards total tuition cost of $19,950
    Climb Credit
    Meritize
    ScholarshipScholarships are awarded based on need to ensure high-potential students have access to the training they need to enter the technology workforce. Scholarships are awarded for up to 50% of tuition. https://skilldistillery.com/scholarship/
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkYes; 40-60 hours
  • Part-Time Full-Stack Java

SQL, REST, MySQL, MVC, Java, GitHub
    LocationDenver
    Skill Distillery’s Java full-stack programming is an immersive, hands-on program where you learn the critical coding skills to build a lasting career as a full-stack Java application developer. Our goal is to create an environment where you can focus on building the skills you need to transition into a career you love.
    Tuition financing options available through Climb
    Refund / GuaranteeThe deposit is 100% refundable.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo prior experience is necessary
    Prep WorkOnce you have been accepted into the program, there is required prework.
  • Web Development with Java (Online)

MySQL, Java
    LocationDenver
    We started with a simple question: What programming skills will give our students a competitive edge in today's job market? We did the research, and Java is the clear winner. Java gives our graduates twice as many job opportunities. For over 15 years, Java has been and is one of the most popular programming languages worldwide with over 51 billion Java Virtual Machines installed.* The bottom line is Java is here to stay! When it comes to Java we "wrote the book." We have trained over 40,000 students in Java over 20 years as well as published Java training materials used by companies worldwide. No other school comes close to our Java experience and expertise.
    Financing is available through CLIMB Credit Loan

In Full: $14,950

Monthly Payments: $4,650

0% Interest Loan: $581

Monthly Payments During and After Course

Climb Credit Loan: $81-$175
    Monthly Payments During Course ($479-$532 for 36 months after course)

Pay After You Get Hired: $774**
    Tuition PlansIn Full: $14,950 Monthly Payments: $4,650 0% Interest Loan: $581 Monthly Payments During and After Course Climb Credit Loan: $81-$175 Monthly Payments During Course ($479-$532 for 36 months after course) Pay After You Get Hired: $774**
    Refund / GuaranteeYes
    ScholarshipYes. See website for details.
    Minimum Skill LevelHS Diploma
    Prep WorkPre-work is provided once accepted into the program.

• $500 Skill Distillery Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Skill Distillery scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) (Denver)
  •  Nik Marchese  User Photo
    Nik Marchese • Software Engineer (Entry Level) SE1 • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    This program was everything I could've wanted it to be. I applied for entry into Skill Distillery (SD) having never written a line of code in my life. At the time, I had a roommate who was already a successful software developer and all of my previous attempts to start a meaningful career had come to nothing. I decided to give software development a shot, and SD seemed like a good fit. The price tag was intimidating, but SD ended up being worth every penny. I learned an absolutely massive amount in a short period of time, and I enjoyed every bit of it, which is not something I can say about my 6 years of college. The program was difficult, and certainly not for everyone, but for someone like me (always enjoyed problem solving, and able to be fully dedicated to the program's relatively demanding schedule) it was exactly what I needed. Upon completion of the program I was able to get multiple job offers for over the salary I was looking for. The job I ended up taking was one that I was specifically referred to through SD connections. Now, a few months in, I am loving my new career and I'm excited to continue building upon the second to none foundation of coding knowledge I got from Skill Distillery.
  • Matthew Jump  User Photo
    Matthew Jump • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

First off I do want to say that Skill Distillery is definitely not for everyone. If you are willing to put in the time and effort then it can be very rewarding.

I came into the program with probably a lot more to lose than most others that come into the program. I have a wife and 2 young kids, only an Associate Degree in a non-technical field, and no coding experience.

The first part of the program was a deep dive into Java in which I struggled with. The instructors, Steve and Rob, are excellent instructors. They are both very knowledgeable and passionate. Seeing a bad review about Steve upsets me because if it weren't for him I would not be where I am today, a software engineer which I will talk about. With 4 months of instruction from these 2 instructors I was able to take and pass the Oracle Certified Associate Java SE8 Certification. I personally put in a lot of extra hours but it was worth it.

After that you learn a lot more technologies that are highly sought after in the industry. This portion is just as intense as the Java portion because you are learning new technologies every week/few days. In the latter half the instructors, Andrew and Kris, are just as excellent as the other 2. The teaching style was definitely different but they were able to explain things in a different manner that made it easier for me to understand.

With all of the things I was taught I was able to graduate Skill Distillery with a job already lined up. I recieved a software engineer position for a national company. I was able to interview confidently for this job about 4 weeks prior to graduation. I was hired alongside individuals that had Bachelor Degrees in Computer Science with 1-2 years experience and the only experience I had was Skill Distillery. It shows that you are taught a lot and the technolgies taught are desirable.

I will reiterate that Skill Distillery is not for everyone. You will be in class for 8:30am-6:00pm pretty much every day during the week. You will put in extra hours at night and on the weekends. If you struggle like I did you will need to put in a lot more. But if you have doubts like I did, I will tell you it is worth it. You will not regret it.

• Life Changing
    - 2/9/2017
    Chris Buttaro  User Photo
    Chris Buttaro • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Without Skill Distillery I would not have the high paying, Junior Software Engineer position I have now.  In my new position I will be joining three Skill Distillery graduates already working for my new employer.  Before the course my options were to take a position setting up TV dishes on roofs, go back to my old job contracting in Afghanistan, or go to college for another two years.  That is not to say you it will be easy for you find a job after completing this course if you do not have a four year degree.  In my case I had a particular military background which helped me obtain my current position.

Skill Distillery is an excellent course for professionals who would like to start a career in the programming/Web Development industry.   It is challenging, and you will have to work many nights and many weekends.  That being said the atmosphere at the school is incredible, the instructors are highly knowledgeable, patient, and supportive.  You will be amazed at the skills you pick up in just four months time.

You will have a lot to to add to your resume when you are finished.  Skill Distillery pays close attention to the most relevant technologies being used by the industry and focuses on teaching you only those skills you will need to get hired. You will been given an excellent prep-week and an opportunity to be certified by Oracle as an Associate Java Programmer.  You will have your own account with Amazon Web Services running a Tomcat server with many, impressive web-apps that you have built, up and running for employers to see. In addition all of your projects will be on a public github account that employers can also reference.

If you are accepted into Skill Distillery, it is because they think you have what it takes to get through the program and start a new career subsequently. Skill Distillery will provide you with the training necessary, in highly productive atmosphere, to enter into the software development field.

• Skill Distillery
    - 9/27/2021
    Brian R. • Applications Developer • Graduate
    Skill Distillery is an excellent school with staff who genuinely care about student learning and success.

During my 16-weeks at Skill Distillery, I went from having zero programming experience to getting my first job as an Applications Developer.

The curriculum covers in-demand coding skills such as Java, CSS, HTML, SQL, RESTful Web Services, and much more.

I had my first job interview during my last week at Skill Distillery. The hiring manager was impressed with the projects I developed and the portfolio I created during the cohort. I received an offer from the company shortly after.

I am now earning nearly 4x as much as I was before enrolling at Skill Distillery.

The staff regularly reach out to me even weeks after graduation to ask how I am doing and provide insight on local job openings.
    I feel comfortable knowing that I have former instructors who care about my education and success. The school even provides interview training and resume review after you graduate.

If you are looking for an excellent coding boot camp that will teach you in-demand skills, look no further!

I am recommending Skill Distillery to anyone who will listen!

• bronson spies • engineer 1
    If choosing to go with skill distillery as your choice of boot camp here what you can expect:
    1. World class instructors who literally dedicate their lives to improving yours
    2. A curriculum that makes sense for new learners. Starting with core java and moving into to more complicated things from there is perfect and curates a deeper understanding of things like front end frame works and java script that other curriculums just can’t compete with.
    3. Knowledge of self. This bootcamp will test you. If one is to take this program seriously one can expect to be pushed to their limits in a way that will strengthen character, knowledge, and capability. This process taught me more about myself then any other 4 months of my life has.
    4.   And lastly, Skill distillery offers its student a strong alumni networks which is continually beneficial to my career progression after graduating
    Choose this bootcamp. You will not regret the experience skill distillery has to offer. Change your life like I changed mine with the help of these wonderful people.
  • Gray Morrow • Graduate
    I came into SD with a very small amount of prior programming experience, no web experience and no exposure to object-oriented programming. The intense first five weeks at SD introduced me to OO and the Java language, and prepared me very well for the OCA exam. Web development curriculum did not disappoint either. The instructors were very available and very helpful, and consistently provided useful advice and feedback, and the alumni community proved very helpful in tracking down my first position. I would recommend SD to anybody looking to make this career change.
  • Jeanne • Technical Project Manager • Graduate
    I am a graduate of cohort 27 - 16 week Full-Stack Development with Java - and attest to the fact that Skill Distillery (SD) is all it claims to be. Like most things in life, you get with you give. If you apply yourself, show up daily, and ask for help when you need it, you will have the skills necessary to excel as a full stack software developer. The curriculum is spot on providing you with the necessary concepts making it easy to learn additional languages.

SD is a family first and foremost. Every employee lives and breaths the SD Values.  Cohorts are small thus valuing personalized attention and success over profits. Every person is valued and feedback is not only valued but heeded. The alumni network is second to none. Complete strangers ban together providing assistance to one another whether you have a coding problem you’re trying to solve, learning a new language, or figuring the complexity of Hacker Rank / LeetCode.

The instructors are very knowledgeable and experienced. They are patient and open to questions as well as being creative and practical in their presentation of the material helping to keep you engaged when you think you cannot possibly learn yet another new concept. The teaching assistants have been in your seat and provide wonderful support and guidance without solving the problem for you.

Like most boot camps and computer science schools, Skill Distillery does not guarantee job placement. However, through out the boot camp brown bags are offered providing support for setting up your LinkedIn profile and crafting your resume. After graduation, instructors and previous graduates gave of their time to provide one-on-one mock interviews. The alumni network has a job search channel on which openings are constantly being posted. If you desire to work for one of the big firms (Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc), you will need to do additional studying on Big O and algorithms. Udemy is a wonderful and inexpensive resource. SD has great contacts for veterans.
  • Jourdan Rentschler • Graduate

This was the best decision I ever made! I was currently in a dead-end sales job and not happy with where my career was going. I decided to take a leap of faith and do a career pivot into Computer Programming. I have now found the passion that has been burning inside of me! The Full Stack Java Web Development Program at Skill Distillery was the best! This bootcamp is no joke, you need to put in the time, work, and effort but just know you will be rewarded 100% once you graduate! The instructors are the best and are there to help you get placed into the right job! So if you are on the fence, think no more, DO IT! You will NOT regret it! #SD27

Pros:  The course is full of knowledge and you might think you are drinking from the fire hose but it is well worth it!!!! Trust the process! The Instructors are there to help you no matter what, so you will not be suffering in silence! The money you are investing is worth it x5!

Cons: My cohort was during the Covid-19 pandemic so it was all virtual - which was still amazing! But if you're not used to online learning - that might be a challenge - but the instructors and the team are there to help you and they made it just as wonderful! The only thing i would have to say is that I wish they offered a hard copy book of the material... all the material is online - but for myself I need a text book in order to make notes in.
  • John • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I attended Skill Distillery in 2019 shortly after leaving the military.  Everything about the experience exceeded my expectations from the first day of class through graduating and getting my first job as a developer.  The instructors are amazing and the curriculum is well designed to give you what you need to compete as a junior developer.

The program is intense.  It's not easy, and is not for everyone.  You need to have the aptitude for this kind of work to be successful here, and they will help you decide if you are a good candidate during the admissions process.  You will begin coding on day one, and it doesn't slow down.  They call this a boot camp for a reason!  Between class and homework, plan on putting in at least 60 hours a week.

I was amazed at what my classmates and I were able to produce in this short time.  You will write literally dozens of small projects while learning Java, JavaScript, SQL, and HTML.  You will also design and build two fully functional web projects for the midterm and final.  A week or two into the course, I watched the class ahead of us present their final projects and I remember thinking there is NO WAY I could build something like that.  A couple of months later I was even more amazed when I did.

You might be thinking this sounds great, but can you actually get a job coming out of a boot camp?  In a word, YES.  Some of my classmates had interviews prior to graduation.  I had a substantial commute to/from class which left me no free time, so I decided to wait until graduation to start seriously applying for jobs.  I sent out maybe 15 or 20 resumes.  Within days of graduation I had a promising phone interview.   That lead to in person technical interview two days later, and I had a job offer before the week was over.  I have been working at this company for over a year, and can honestly say it's the best job I've ever had.

If you are motivated, disciplined, and not afraid of drinking from the fire hose, Skill Distillery can offer you the express lane to a career as a developer.  Give them a call. You will be glad you did.
  • Frank Martin • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I started programming in college for a semester and discovered coding bootcamps. I found Skill Distillery through VETTEC. It was one of the few schools that taught Full Stack Java Development along with Angular. I was having trouble learning how to learn programming and getting everything to stick prior to attending. I loved the model that was used to teach. We would have a lecture and a lab to enforce what we learned for every topic. Skill Distillery allowed me to transition from the medical field into a Software Engineer position. I currently work using Angular and almost everything I learned in the bootcamp.

The instructors and assistants for Skill Distillery were very helpful and compassionate when it came to teaching and some even stayed with us after class was over just in case we needed help. Skill Distillery also had a lot of workshops for job assistance in the second half of the program as well as after we finished our final projects. I recommend working on HTML and CSS before attending and during your downtime since this coding bootcamp is more backend heavy.

I highly recommend Skill Distillery for anyone in search for a coding bootcamp. Just remember you get what you put into it. I spent a lot of time during my downtime making sure I understood the material and it paid off for me in the end.

• Alexa Veigel • Software Engineer • Graduate
    Skill Distillery is a comprehensive and incredibly detailed program. They really create an environment where learning can thrive and give you all the tools needed to succeed in the “real world”.  From learning actual code, to rehearsing for interviews, down to beefing up your resume; they really cover the necessities.
  • Ankit • Graduate
    I attended Skill Distillery (SD) around end of Jan 2020 and graduated first week of May. I have only good things to sat about the program and especially about the instructors. The course work was very well laid out and had a very good structure to it. Although it is Full Stack, most of the focus was on the backend especially Java using Spring Framework. I cannot, and I write again, I just cannot say how good the instructors are. Rob, Denise, Alex, and Paul are all great. They have over 15-20 years of teaching experience and they know how to teach. They have a vast amount of knowledge but they know how to transfer it over. I cannot thank them enough. The whole program is like a family and Briana, Bruce were very understanding and made everyone feel home from day one. I was lucky to be in a cohort full of veterans, and this definitely helped me. I only have good things to say about the program and the people involved in it. However, I feel that the networking opportunities should be better. Overall, I would definitely recommend anyone trying to get into the software engineering field to attend Skill Distillery. You will learn a lot while feeling at home.