Skill Distillery is an intensive, 16-week Java bootcamp in Denver, Colorado. The course is arranged into three units – Java Programming, Server-side Java, and Front-end Development. The curriculum focuses on the fundamentals of programming, Java (and its libraries), unit testing, Spring, Spring MVC, and using a source code repository. Students will also gain experience deploying web content to a web server and navigating the server file system from the command line. Skill Distillery graduates will be prepared to take the Oracle Certified Associate – Java Programmer exam and will be on track for a career as a web interface designer or a full stack application developer.
No prior coding experience is required; instead, Skill Distillery looks for driven, determined and passionate people wanting to make a change in their life. Prospective applicants must complete an online assessment, meet with an admissions advisor, and finish a logic test.
Skill Distillery’s parent company, Batky-Howell, has more than 25 years of experience training more than 40,000 IT professionals from companies such as HP, Lockheed Martin, Level3, Time Warner and Disney.
Recent Skill Distillery Reviews: Rating 4.67
Recent Skill Distillery News
- Which Coding Bootcamps Accept VETTEC?
- How Skill Distillery got VA-Approval to Accept the GI Bill
- June Coding Bootcamp News Roundup
OnlineFull Time43 Hours/week16 Weeks
Start Date None scheduled Cost $19,950 Class size 15 Location DenverBecome a software engineer in as little as 16 weeks. Upcoming 2020 Cohort Dates SD 27 July 13, 2020 SD 28 September 21, 2020 SD 29 November 9, 2020
Deposit $1,000 * Applied toward total tuition cost. Financing Tuition Plans Monthly payment plan options are available Scholarship Scholarships are awarded based on need, to ensure high-potential students have access to the training they need to enter the technology workforce. Scholarships are awarded for up to 50% off tuition https://skilldistillery.com/scholarship/
Minimum Skill Level Basic Computer Knowledge Prep Work Yes: 40-60 hours Placement Test Yes Interview Yes Start Date None scheduled Cost $19,950 Class size 20 Location DenverUpcoming 2020 Cohort Dates: SD 27 July 13, 2020 SD 28 September 21, 2020 SD 29 November 9, 2020
Deposit $1,000 *Goes towards total tuition cost of $19,950 FinancingClimb Credit
Scholarship Scholarships are awarded based on need to ensure high-potential students have access to the training they need to enter the technology workforce. Scholarships are awarded for up to 50% of tuition. https://skilldistillery.com/scholarship/
Minimum Skill Level Basic Computer Knowledge Prep Work Yes; 40-60 hours Placement Test Yes Interview Yes Start Date None scheduled Cost $9,950 Class size 35 Location DenverSkill Distillery’s Java full-stack programming is an immersive, hands-on program where you learn the critical coding skills to build a lasting career as a full-stack Java application developer. Our goal is to create an environment where you can focus on building the skills you need to transition into a career you love.
Deposit 500 FinancingTuition financing options available through Climb Refund / Guarantee The deposit is 100% refundable.
Minimum Skill Level No prior experience is necessary Prep Work Once you have been accepted into the program, there is required prework. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes Start Date None scheduled Cost $14,950 Class size 30 Location DenverWe started with a simple question: What programming skills will give our students a competitive edge in today's job market? We did the research, and Java is the clear winner. Java gives our graduates twice as many job opportunities. For over 15 years, Java has been and is one of the most popular programming languages worldwide with over 51 billion Java Virtual Machines installed.* The bottom line is Java is here to stay! When it comes to Java we "wrote the book." We have trained over 40,000 students in Java over 20 years as well as published Java training materials used by companies worldwide. No other school comes close to our Java experience and expertise.
Deposit $1000 FinancingFinancing is available through CLIMB Credit Loan
In Full: $14,950
Monthly Payments: $4,650
0% Interest Loan: $581
Monthly Payments During and After Course
Climb Credit Loan: $81-$175
Monthly Payments During Course ($479-$532 for 36 months after course)
Pay After You Get Hired: $774**
Tuition Plans In Full: $14,950 Monthly Payments: $4,650 0% Interest Loan: $581 Monthly Payments During and After Course Climb Credit Loan: $81-$175 Monthly Payments During Course ($479-$532 for 36 months after course) Pay After You Get Hired: $774** Refund / Guarantee Yes Scholarship Yes. See website for details.
Minimum Skill Level HS Diploma Prep Work Pre-work is provided once accepted into the program. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
- Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Skill Distillery scholarship for $500 off tuition!
EligibilityOffer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship. & This scholarship cannot be combined with other offers.
- Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) (Denver)
Skill Distillery Reviews
106 reviews sorted by:
- Jan Ellsworth • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) • Campus: Denver • Verified via LinkedInPros:
+ VET TEC Preferred Program
+ Very veteran friendly, my cohort consisted of all military veterans
+ Seemingly very compassionate instructors & staff
+ Very eager to do whatever it took to ease our minds through whatever transition we would go through (OCAs, COVID, etc)
+ Made an extended family with my cohort
+ Accepting of my emotional support animal which I understand is not a service dog
+ Awesome building/facility even though one classroom has no windows
Cons (which I knew going in):
-Extremely fast paced, wish there were more reviews to ensure retention of foundational topics
-Some instructors read from slides so can lose attention easily
- Christina Rowland • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) • Campus: Denver • Verified via LinkedInI made the decision to attend Skill Distillery because I felt stunted in my career field and wanted to attain marketable skills and felt like this Java Full Stack Bootcamp was a good decision based on recommendations from prior students and other veterans. I ended up leaving my job and moving from Missouri to Colorado and quickly realized that it was the greatest decision I made thus far in my career path.Prior to attending Skill Distillery, I had worked in the cybersecurity field as an intelligence analyst but did not really have any knowledge about programming languages. We were immediately thrown into learning Java since the program is only 16 weeks. The program offered numerous labs, some that needed to be completed over the weekend, that were crucial when it came to fully understanding and absorbing the new concepts. Quickly on I did feel like I was falling behind, but through the closeness of the cohort (small class size), dedication of the instructors, and the teaching assistants help on Saturdays I was able to pull through and have more confidence in my coding ability. Throughout the program, we learned many technologies, including front end, back end, and project management tools.I started attending the course in January and when the COVID-19 pandemic occurred Skill Distillery was very transparent when it came to communication and a way forward as lockdown was eminent. Skill Distillery was able to transition us to learning over Zoom and I did not notice any loss in the material we were learning. We were able to share our screen with the instructors if we were stuck or behind and had the ability to have breakout rooms to be able to conduct pair programming and group projects.Lastly, Skill Distillery was very helpful in preparing me to reenter the job market by conducting career workshops, mock interviews (technical and nontechnical), and resume review. I was able to secure a job offer the week prior to completing the program. Everyone that worked at Skill Distillery seemed genuinely passionate about what they did and helping the students to succeed and overcome their imposter syndrome. Overall, I would highly recommend this bootcamp for anyone that is considering making the transition into software development or wants more knowledge on front and back end technologies.
- Colt • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) • Campus: Denver • Verified via LinkedInSkill Distillery’s 16-week course was an incredible experience. I was itching for a career change into software development, and Skill Distillery made that possibility a reality. Much like whoever may be reading this, I too read every review I could - even reached out to former students who all had positive things to say about the course. The fact that it is based on the Java language is an advantage for those wanting to gain practical experience using Object-Oriented Programming.The course was highly fast-pace, and at times I did feel like I was drowning. However, that is expected. The instructors were incredibly knowledgeable and went above-and-beyond to help students understand difficult concepts. Within three weeks of graduating, I had two offers. The position I accepted uses C#, which is similar to Java since they are each part of the C language family. Needless to say, students gain the ability to learn how to learn, which opens the door to many jobs outside of the languages taught throughout the course.Overall, I can't recommend this course enough. This easily might be the best decision I’ve made, but having a desire to code and natural curiosity is essential to enjoying the process. I feel like I learned more in those four months than I did in four years of college. The instructors and staff truly care about the success of each student.
- Highly Recommended- 1/19/2020Kelly Cromeans • Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) • Campus: Denver • Verified via LinkedIn
If you are ready to put in the time for a change, this is the place to go. Staff and instructors are very intelligent and helpful, they are there to teach you how to code and they do it well. You will come out of Skill Distillery as a confident developer ready for the job market. You will get out of this course what you put into it. Be ready to devote yourself to a career change and you will have it.
I graduated Skill Distillery class SD23 two weeks ago and already have a job offer.
- Good Full Stack Java Fundamentals program- 1/17/2020Andrew Wong • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) • Campus: Denver • Verified via LinkedIn
At the end of 16 weeks you'll have a really solid foundation and be able to build make websites hosted on Amazon Web Services EC2 using Java, Angular, and SQL databases. Before coming here I'd always struggle learning programming languages on my own. I dropped a C++ class in college, and got by in other Java / Microsoft Access classes. Here they're not as concerned with the academic concepts of topics. They focus more on the practical application of writing code and that's how I managed to stay interested and learn quickly how to do it. Instructors and TAs are very approachable when it comes to questions or when you're stuck on something.
I'm 1 week into my job search and have much confidence in what I've learned during my time at Skill Distillery.
- Full Stack Java Bootcamp- 1/8/2020Samantha Haviland • Student • Course: Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) • Campus: Denver • Verified via LinkedIn
- Graduate- 8/28/2019Craig • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) • Campus: Denver • Verified via LinkedIn
- Intro to Full Stack- 8/28/2019Miguel • Student • Campus: Denver • Verified via LinkedIn
Excellent course that supports Vet Tec. It is highly comprehensive and gives you the tools you need to begin a career as a Full Stack Developer. As with anything, you will get what you put into it. It is not an easy course and will seem overwhelming at times. The vast amount of skills you acquire over such a short span of time is telling and a direct reflection of the staff.
- Excellent Program- 8/28/2019Cecil Kitch • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) • Campus: Denver • Verified via LinkedIn
There are a lot of bootcamps out there but Skill Distillery is special. The small class size, and the rigourous selection of instructors from a cultural stand point make this place shine. You can really tell the instructors care and consider the individual strengths and weaknesses of every student. Behind the scenes, they are constantly strategizing your individual development.
The hard skills they teach, you will learn, will prepare you to enter the workforce as a Junior Level / Entry Level / Associate programmer. During the program you are introduced to the concept of pair programming, which will grow your soft skills. Your success, personal growth rate, etc. will be closely linked to how well you can work with others, and how you respond to feedback. But the good news is, if you get accepted, you already have those skills!
If you are concerned about not having a CS degree, rest assured that you will be qualified for the jobs. The challenge will be that you need to demonstrate knowledge and skills during the interview process substantially more than a CS grad.
Overall, highly recommend A+ program. Attending Skill Distillery has been one of the best decisions I have made for my personal growth and development. I am stronger problem solver, with a lot more tools, and a lot more jobs available. I am graduating today and I am already experiencing a rush of interest from recruiters on LinkedIn and other jobs boards.
- Great experience at Skill Distilery- 6/7/2019Tom B. • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) • Campus: Denver • Verified via LinkedIn
I enrolled at Skill Distillery in April of 2018. After 11 years in the insurance industry, I decided to pursue software development, and the best option I found here in Colorado was SD. The instructors there were knowledgeable, professional, and genuinely cared about the students learning and future goals. The price was comparable to other full-time options and they did a good job of helping with financial aid. I was able to land a job within 3 months of graduation and I'm using what I learned there every single day!
- FANTASTIC BOOT CAMP- 12/25/2018Novak Dobrosavljevic • Associate Java Developer • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) • Campus: Denver • Verified via LinkedIn
The learning process was intense consisting of 60+ hours of work a week. Each of the instructors was among the best I've ever had the privilege of learning from. I accepted a job offer I am incredibly excited about, for a position I really wanted, only a day after graduation. Overall, it was the best decision I have ever made.
In the following chapters, you can read about my background, other students' backgrounds, Skill Distillery's strengths, the school's weaknesses, financing, and the outcome.
Firstly, have no fears about your background. The first person who to have a job in my cohort had never completed their Bachelor's degree. That same person was consistently one of the top performers in the course and had multiple job-offers weeks before completing the course.
When I joined Skill Distillery, my experience with coding was next to none. A couple of months prior to attending the boot camp, I picked up some Ruby as a hobby, doing it for a few hours a week. That was enough for me to know that I want to turn that hobby into a profession. I had a bachelor's degree in business from Germany and experience in business development/sales. However, I do not think that either of these was needed for me to get a job. All you need is a combination of passion for technology and problem solving, discipline, and an always learning and collaborative mindset.
Other students in my cohort came from all walks of life. From people who spent 23 years in the Military, to those who haven't been born that long ago. From people with no degrees to those with advanced ones. From business owners, through chefs, to insurance sales representatives. One thing they all had in common was that they were ready for a change and willing to learn.
WHY SKILL DISTILLERY (Strengths)
I did a lot of research before deciding which boot camp to enroll. Skill Distillery was a clear winner, and here are some of the reasons:
1) BEST CURRICULUM ON THE MARKET
2) BEST INSTRUCTORS ON THE MARKET
At most boot camps, you will get to learn from recent boot camp graduates. At Skill Distillery, the instructors are world-class experts and have an average of at least 20 years in the industry. They are also great pedagogues, and their teaching style is very involving. Each student also gets the individual help they need whenever working on a project/homework. Finally, a big shout out to the teaching assistants who have done a great job, often sitting with us until very late hours on Saturdays, rather than enjoying one of Denver's breweries. Good job lads.
CONS OF SKILL DISTILLERY
1 ) EXTREMELY FAST PACE
The biggest con is that you have to learn all of the technologies I mentioned above, and so much more, in just 16 weeks. What that means is that almost every day you will be learning a whole lot of new things, and there is very little time to catch up on something you struggle with. I stayed many nights until after 11 pm to cope with such a pace, especially in the first 5 weeks.
On the positive side, we did get to work on two 10-day group projects, (a mid-term and a final project), which give you an excellent opportunity to work on your weaknesses and to exchange knowledge with your peers. Besides, you will get a week to prepare for Oracle's OCA exam, at which time you will get to solidify and improve your core Java skills.
Skill Distillery has a deal with Climb for loans, or, if you are a veteran, you can use GI Bill. I used Climb's loan to pay for the school. I am a recent immigrant, so my credit history is short, and therefore I got a very high interest rate. None the less, the return on investment is great. Consequently, even if your credit is not too good, it is probably still worth it getting a loan and attending this program.
Comparing to some other boot camps, financing options are lacking support for the cost of living. You will have to figure out how you will afford your living expenses during the boot camp, as you will not have any time to work. I strongly urge Skill Distillery to find a partner who will offer a loan for the cost of living in addition to the tuition amount, as that may open the doors of attending to a lot of people.
My cohort graduated last week, yet 2/11 of us already have jobs. Another person created a cool application for which some real estate companies have already offered to pay a subscription fee.
Almost everyone from the two cohorts before mine found a job within 90 days of completing the course. The lowest salary accepted by an alumnus I have met was still above 60k, and the highest is over 90k. Everyone I talked to said that their income significantly increased compared to what they were making before attending the course, with some people doubling theirs.
- I wish that I had done this sooner- 7/31/2017Sebastian Hellsing • App Developer • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) • Campus: Denver • Verified via LinkedIn
I am a Marine vet and I was also a System Administrator wondering how to move laterally into software development. When I stumbled into Skill Distillery, I had 7 years of sys/network admin experience and about 6 months of teaching myself Java. I decided that I needed a hard change in what I was doing if I ever wanted to have a real career change into Software Development and I found this school. I wanted a bootcamp that focused on Java and Skill Distillery promised Java along with a full stack of accompanying technologies to give you the potential to do almost anything once taught. With that, I received and accepted a job offer as a Full Stack Java Developer 5 weeks before the course ended.
I covered the cost of the course with the Post 9\11 GI BILL. This course will take 9 months of benefits and was 100% worth every dime considering how quickly I went from absolutely beginner programmer to employed developer.
Steve is a pationate teacher and he will explain something to you 99 different ways if thats what you need to get it. Sometimes known as the "Java Meister".
Rob is a literal wizard disquised as normal person.
In all seriousness, this is the best team of instructors that I have had for any course. Each instructor has a deep understanding of what they are teaching and often answer questions with additional context that answers questions that you didn't even know you had.
There is a lot of material that is gone through in this course. You absolutely need to do all of the pre-work to get the most out of this course. If you have questions, you need to ask them as soon as you think them up. Sometimes things start moving fast and once you forget that question its pretty much gone forever.
The material taught in the course has more than sufficiently prepared me for my current position. You will do so much coding that it will shock you how quickly you learn a codebase and become actually useful on your first job.
In the time that I have been here, students receive enough training in valuable industry technologies that multiple students received job offers before the course ended. 10/10 would recommend.