refactoru-logo

RefactorU

Boulder, Online

RefactorU

RefactorU is a selective, 10-week, hands-on, immersive web application development bootcamp in Boulder, CO. Students will create applications and build a portfolio of projects to share with employers while developing a peer and advisor network for life. RefactorU collaborates with students to find jobs they love. Before, during, and after students' 10-week experience, RefactorU's career team works very hard to introduce students to hiring managers in the Denver/Boulder area as well as in other technology hotspots across the country.

RefactorU's curriculum is composed of a combination of front end, back end, and other technologies, tools, and skills. Graduates of the program will leave having mastered HTML5, CSS3, AngularJS, Node.js, JS, Sockets, MongoDB, JSON, command line skills, source control, deployment, pair progamming, Agile/Scrum, behavior-driven development, Sublime Text, interviewing, and more.

As of February 2016, RefactorU now offers Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits.

Recent RefactorU Reviews: Rating 4.1

• Advanced Node.js Development

• Full-Stack Web Development

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Node.js
    Scholarship20% for retired or active service US military personnel or spouse
    Minimum Skill LevelLittle to no formal programming experience is fine, but pre-work must be completed prior to the start of the program.
    Prep WorkApproximately 40 - 50 hours

• Introduction to HTML & CSS

HTML, CSS
    In PersonPart Time1 Week
    LocationBoulder
    This course provides expert instruction + best-in-class curriculum with hands-on, in-depth learning. Curriculum and exercises based on RefactorU's 10-Week Full-Stack Immersive Bootcamp. Personalized help from expert developers. In-class projects and exercises. Group solution reviews. Pair programming learning structures to maximize learning opportunities. Lifetime access to RefactorU’s “Introduction to HTML” and “Introduction to CSS Development” online courses ($108 value), which includes: 18 videos with over 90 minutes of lectures and explanations. 5 practice exercises to help you master the basics. 12 external resource files.
  • Introduction to JavaScript

LocationBoulder
    This course provides expert instruction + best-in-class curriculum with hands-on, in-depth learning. Curriculum and exercises based on RefactorU's 10-Week Full-Stack Bootcamp. Personalized help from expert developers. In-class projects and exercises. Group solution reviews. Pair programming learning structures to maximize learning opportunities. Lifetime access to RefactorU’s “Introduction to JavaScript Development” online course ($29 value), which includes: 19 videos with over 35 minutes of lectures and explanations. 4 exercises to help you master basic JavaScript concepts. 3 external resource files.
  • Introduction to JavaScript Development

• Introduction to jQuery

jQuery
    LocationBoulder, Online
  • Introduction to Node.js Development

• Introduction to Node.js & MongoDB

LocationBoulder
    This course provides expert instruction + best-in-class curriculum with hands-on, in-depth learning. Curriculum and exercises based on RefactorU's 10-Week Full-Stack Bootcamp. Personalized help from expert developers. In-class projects and exercises. Group solution reviews. Pair programming learning structures to maximize learning opportunities. Lifetime access to RefactorU’s “Introduction to Node.js” and “Working with MongoDB” online courses ($88 value), which includes: 25 videos with over 2 hours of lectures and explanations. 9 exercises to help you master Node.js and MongoDB concepts. 9 external resource files.
  • Introduction to Unit Testing

• Working with MongoDB

In PersonPart Time

I was in the same cohort as "My Takeway? Confused." and I second everything from that review.

I applied to RefactorU in part because I wanted a shorter school and faster turnaround time to working. RefactorU's program is ten weeks, most similar programs are between twelve and fourteen. I assumed RefactorU had a killer curriculum that taught the same material but in less time. Wrong. Ten weeks is a business decision. In the final week a few of us students were talking to an instructor and the CEO and we said we wish we had more time in class; the CEO and instructor both confirmed that previous cohorts also wanted the course to be two weeks longer. So why don't they extend the course? I quote: "Because if RefactorU was twelve weeks it would cost the same as every other bootcamp." Think about that! That's essentially saying "We don't offer a better product than our competitors, we're just cheaper, because we give you less product." This really upsets me because it is an educational institution making a business decision that actually harms their educational product. That's prioritizing your advertising over your educational outcomes.

The oft-repeated phrase that RefactorU will turn you into a "world-class entry-level developer" is nothing but a slogan and an outright falsehood. You will not be a world-class entry-level developer, you will be an entry-level developer with serious holes in your game. You probably won't want to show your final project to prospective employers until you can put more time into it. A lot of us didn't fully grasp or know how to implement core aspects of web development; for me it was authentication, which I had to teach myself after graduation. Unit testing is another important tool in the field but we only had one cursory lecture explaining what it is. I either have to invest my own time - when I'm not earning any income - in teaching myself these things or I have to walk into interviews and say "No, I don't know how to do that."

I think the school/front-office has a general problem with soliciting genuine feedback and acting on it. The first instance of educational feedback came in week seven (of a ten-week program) because the intern happened to come outside while we were venting about the previous lecture. There was a feedback session on Monday of the final week because the front office had become aware of what a nightmare week nine was. The presentation was pretty tense. It felt more like damage control than soul-searching. I asked the CEO "In week eight students were skipping class, instructors weren't being asked for help, and then in week nine everybody is desperate for help and the instructors are slammed. I don't know how to fix that, but isn't that something to be concerned about?" The response was "Those students who have been missing class need to show up or they won't graduate." (Everyone graduated.)

In the month since graduation I've been teaching myself web development and working on my final project. I have not yet applied to any jobs. I think I gained a good foundation from RefactorU but it could have been better. My cohort probably had one of the worst experiences in school history, but it seems like those problems were there to begin with and the stress of having 1.5 full cohorts at the same time only made it worse. I don't know what other code bootcamps are like but this was my experience at RefactorU.

Final notes:

To be honest, this isn't even my full list of grievances with the school. I was there for ten weeks, I TA'd there another two weeks, I talked a lot with students in my cohort and the one after, I talked with staff members off the record... During finals and even weeks after graduation I'd end up in hour-long conversations with different classmates about RefactorU, about the problems, potential solutions, trying to figure out why these problems are there in the first place. I tried to keep my review limited to the school's educational experience and leave out the other nonsense.

I wanted this to be a wonderful experience and to have a really great relationship with the school, but this is how it turned out. I would rather have written a glowing review.

When the "My takeway?" review was posted everyone in the cohort got a phone call from the school. Mine went to voicemail; it was message that Fluid Consulting was still available if we wanted assistance with our job search.

Response From: Ed Powers of RefactorU
    Title: COO
    Thursday, Apr 28 2016
    We are sorry that the reviewer was dissatisfied with their bootcamp experience. We value and act on feedback, good or bad. However, a number of points below are factually in error. We’d like to set the record straight.

1. RefactorU is a ten-week course by design. We understand the financial hardships placed on students by attending a full-time, fully immersive bootcamp. We also believe that bootcamps are simply a starting point; today’s software developers must continually learn new technologies and frameworks. That’s why we stripped away the “nice-to-have” content and replaced it with the “must-have.” Instead of focusing on computer science theory, we emphasize software engineering skills. Instead of teaching specific software development processes and testing methods (which vary by employer) we teach the fundamentals of architectural design and troubleshooting. Employers don’t expect applicants to know each and every language, framework, tool and methodology--only that they know how to code, and more importantly, how to learn and work well on teams.

Our business strategy is to be the practical alternative by offering the shortest, most cost-effective path to becoming a new developer. We don’t skimp on the quality or thoroughness of the experience we deliver, and our hiring outcomes bear this out: 96% of graduates are employed within 12 weeks of graduation with a median starting salary of $65K. It’s true that some students wish they had more time, but many more prefer to finish quickly, minimize costs and begin their job search.

2. We’re serious about continuous improvement. No organization is perfect. RefactorU performs at high levels and continually strives to improve. In addition to our open door policy that encourages students to share concerns and grievances at any time, we formally and anonymously survey students four times, three during the cohort and once five to six months after graduation. The entire staff meets and reviews both quantitative and qualitative input, discusses root causes, plans and implements improvements.

The comments below are not correct. In the January cohort we reviewed results from the first survey during the third week. We presented results from the second survey in the sixth week. Unfortunately we shared results from the third survey about a week later than we had hoped because of internal scheduling issues and a desire to finalize our solutions before discussing them. The trouble week was #7, not #9, when we were unexpectedly short-staffed with TA’s, a situation we resolved during the remainder of the course. And since we discovered so many students in this cohort had not started working on their job searches, we modified our arrangement with Fluid Consulting to provide even more post-graduation support at our expense. We announced this change prior to graduation, and the voice mail referenced in the comment was simply a reminder.

3. Students must show up and do the work. Our program is a fast-paced, self-directed, facilitated, adult learning experience. Personal responsibility and attendance matters--when students miss lectures, they imperil their outcomes. For example, when students are absent for important topics such as authentication, they must indeed learn them on their own. Missing lectures also places their final projects in jeopardy. For that reason, more than five unexcused absences may result in students failing the program, subject to the discretion of the lead instructors.

Once alumni engage with prospective employers and land a job, they realize the full value of the educational experience they’ve received. Once again, the numbers bear this out. In our most recent post-graduation outcomes survey, 86% of RefactorU grads reported high confidence in their coding skills and 95% said they were leading, above average, or keeping up with their web development peers at work.

• Erich • Graduate

I went into RefactorU with a background in I.T. and a desire to switch careers into a more challenging and creative field. What I got was one of the best educational experiences of my life, great friends and professional connections, and the new career I was looking for. While no program can be perfect, this was pretty close.The instructors are top-notch, the administrative staff is actually to support you and the curriculum is well thought out and relevant to today's job marketplace.

The course is difficult and you have to really commit to pushing yourself but the reward for doing so is totally worth it.

• Worth It
    - 11/19/2015
    Eliora Horst • Graduate

For only being ten weeks long, this bootcamp transformed me from a novice developer into a fully confident full-stack web developer, without making me loose my sanity in coursework.  I can now create, impliment, and deploy a fully functioning website with ease, thanks to the 10 weeks at RefactorU

The instructors can be hit or miss.  During my cohort, one instructor was usually unhelpful, and tended to keep to himself instead of making himself available.  The other instructor was amazing - he answered questions clearly, and helped you towards an answer rather than just give it to you.

• Ria S • Graduate

RefactorU provides 10 weeks of intense web development training. What you put in, is what you get out of it. You are accountable for doing your own work. Having said that, the lead instructors are fantastic at helping you understand concepts throughout the whole program.

Pros: Course content/coursework: The overall structure and content of the bootcamp were fantastic.
    Instructors: The lead instructors are some of the most talented and knowledgable developers out there. Furthermore, the instructors were committed to seeing you learn, understand, and succeed. Not only were they highly supportive of their students, they were consistent & thorough in their teaching of concepts.
    Classmates: I have met some truly incredible people in this class, that I can confidently say will be life-long friends, and helpful peers as we dive into our professional tech careers. Since instructors were often busy assisting other students (which is great, as the instructors took all the time necessary to address individual questions/problems) I found my fellow students to be a goldmine of knowledge and it was very encouraging to see other students working together and helping each other.
    Model: The number of coding bootcamps has exploded over the last couple years, and this immersive model is here to stay. As a long-time fan of alternative education, RefactorU has hit the nail on the head in terms of providing a specific high-demand skill-set to anyone with the grit and determination to become a software developer.
    Location: RefactorU's location in Boulder is great for those interested in working in the start-up scene in Boulder. The Denver/Boulder metro area is an emerging tech hub and a prime gateway to enter a tech career. This was also helpful for attending the many Meetups, workshops, and conferences in the area.

Cons: Student to teacher ratio. We had three instructors for a class of 33 (we are the largest class yet). This is in contrast to 18 students in the prior cohort, and there were 11 graduates  in the cohort prior to that. The classroom was far too small for this many students.

Individualized attention: while the instructors were fantastic, and true champs in terms of being overloaded with students, many of us felt that we did not receive as much individual attention as we would have hoped, and this is largely attributed to the very large class size. There simply weren't enough instructors or hours in the day to get assistance with the 1:10 ratio in our class. A huge shoutout to the instructors that showed up and gave their best every day. They were as enthusiastic about seeing us succeed in week 1 as at the very end of our program.

Class distractions: with such a large class it was an exercise in zooming in on our work and blocking out distractions. The overall classroom atmosphere was far louder and more distracting than I had anticipated. While each of us is responsible for doing whatever we needed to do in order to concentrate on learning, I was hoping for a more professional (and quieter) work/study environment.

Constructive criticism for the school: I am aware that the school plans to hold two concurrent cohorts for the next set of students, but a campus expansion/relocation would greatly serve to benefit the students, and with the high growth of RefactorU, the organization as a whole. Smaller class sizes are a must, or reducing the teacher:student ratio. I have high hopes for RefactorU moving forward, and I anticipate seeing great things from my fellow classmates.

• Tucker Kline • Graduate

RefactorU is an amazing resource if you know that what you want to do is web development. It is expensive, but if you dedicate yourself wholly to the experience and ask for help when you need it, you will absolutely get your money worth in education. The instructors are patient and kind, and the staff are helpful. Great place to learn!

• Sherman Drake • Graduate

RefactorU is a well thought out bootcamp that prepares everyone to become Full Stack Web Developer. From the lectures, lessons, coding times, and peer group sessions, to the resume assistance, recruiter tips, and class outings RefactorU taught me how to code as well as prepare me to work with other programmers. RefactorU focuses on the languages and skills that employers are looking for. The teachers and teacher assistants are excellent in their field. The ten-week course was long enough to understand the concepts and prepare me to be productive as a web developer. I would recommend RefactorU for anyone just starting out in the workforce as well as anyone in the middle of their career that wants to go in a new direction.

Everyone at RefactorU was great - the instructors, administrators, community engagement planners - they are all wonderful.

RefactorU throws a lot of information at you in a short time, but in a really well-structured way so that you actually have time to learn it all, and learn it all well. I'm astounded by how much I learned, and how dedicated the instructors were to supporting our experience: from TAs who come in on the weekends to offer help, to being responsive when not-totally-kosher sexist jokes were being made in class (hey, it's the tech industry, right?). They organize events with employers and recruiters to help you make connections. They know they only succeed when their students succeed, and they are all about that.

My only complaint is one that is probably actually being addressed - being as successful as they are, they have been growing a lot, and for my personal learning style, our class was too big. We had 33 people, and the class before us was only 13, so there were a lot more of us sharing the instructors' attention. It was also often a very loud work environment (33 people in one room), which for me usually meant having to choose between leaving and going somewhere quiet to get work done, or being in a room where I have access to help from instructors and classmates, which was a frustrating choice to have to make.

Overall, I'm glad I went and really impressed by what they accomplish as a school. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

RefactorU has changed my life.  I've wanted to get into development for quite some time now and took the CS courses like data structures, JAVA, C++, etc.  I tried to break into the field by taking them after I got a physics degree.  It just wasn't enough.  RefactorU changed all that.

I left my home in SF to go to Boulder and had no idea what would happen.  I quickly was immersed in JavaScript, Angular, MongoDB, and Node.  I found that the instructors were so good and so clear that I quickly picked up everything they taught.  My only regret was not doing all the bonus assignments for the week (some assignments aren't mandatory - they are bonuses).

Not only that, but the people there started to change my life.  I made what I can honestly say are life long friends.  A bunch of cried when RefactorU came to an end.  I can't believe it had to come to an end.  Learning tech surrounded by awesome, talented people was amazing.

Now on to the good part - I got a job.  I am seriously so happy.  The job was what I envisioned getting - a cool job in a cool startup surrounded by extremely smart people.  Sean, Vally, Sharone, and Ed were a pleasure to know and converse with and the instructors, Rob and Raphael were the smartest guys I've met in a long time.

I don't just recommend this bootcamp to learn how to code - I recommend it to change your life - both socially and financially.

• Justin • Graduate

The boot-camp was everything i expected and more. The instructors were great and really know the material. Career help and guidance was also great.

• Jessey Eagan • Graduate

It has truly been one of the most life changing and gratifying experiences I have ever had. I have a Bachelor’s in Elementary education, but decided over the summer to make a mid-life career change. My family uprooted from Illinois in August so that I could attend RefactorU. We sold our home in IL and my in-laws graciously kept our 2 toddlers in AZ, and my husband traveled between IL, AZ, and CO while I was in school. It was a crazy ride, but I’ve found through it all that I love coding and can’t wait to start working in the field! The course was very intense and I learned so much. If I can make the commitment to change my life for the better, so can you!

• Edward K. • Graduate

The Curriculum was so well designed, that by week 5 we were able to develop fully responsive, fully interactive single page applications using the angular framework along with HTML5, and CSS3; Not to mention Bootstrap and Material Design to enhance our user interface. By week 8, we were equipped to complete a full stack application using NodeJs and MangoDB.

The instructors were well prepared and flexible in adapting to each student's level of understanding. They combined lectures and practice sessions while fostering an environment of camaraderie and peer-to-peer support that was conducive to effective learning.

Students became friends and supportive of each other. The fact that the curriculum and instructors emphasized collaboration over competition, pushed everyone to give their best by recognizing each others strength and encouraging it.

I highly recommend the program!

• Paula • Graduate

Like many of my peers, I was drawn to RefactorU because I wanted to start a higher-paying, more enjoyable career without spending years of my life earning another degree. Even a couple weeks into their ten-week, intensive boot camp, the skeptic in me feared it was too good to be true, but I graduated last Friday and can confidently say that going to RefactorU was one of the best decisions of my life. Several of my classmates had coding jobs before the course even ended, and I am absolutely amazed when I compare the skills I have now with the skills I had from several weeks of pre-bootcamp self-teaching. I can now think up and develop an entire web application on my own, from the database and server to the user interface, and, perhaps more importantly, I know that I have the resources and knowledge to learn new technologies and tackle any coding problems I may face in the future.

Not only does RefactorU manage to teach an incredible amount of material in a short amount of time, the school also structures assignments in a way that prepares students for what a real coding job is like. The vast majority of time was spent on solo projects, but the boot camp is also peppered with several pair programming projects, in which one student writes code and the other plans and coaches, and a larger group project. We also had to do three oral presentations and practice talking about code. It's crucial--and surprisingly difficult--to be able to articulate something so thought-based, and I'm glad RefactorU emphasizes this skill. The team building and communication will definitely benefit me during technical interviews and throughout my career.

Unlike many other bootcamps, RefactorU strongly emphasizes a work-life balance. While it is true that I never had to ditch my sleep, health, and social life in lieu of unreasonable amounts of stress, what the "work-life balance" translated to, for me, was: "You are responsible for your own success." Some students chose to work late hours even after the school day ended, others spent more time socializing and attending events. Whatever the case, no one would chase me down if I needed to take a break during the day or tell me I needed to work harder if a particular subject didn't make sense right away, but the staff was always there to help and encourage. We just had to do the work.

What I loved most about being a RefactorU student was the perfect balance of structure and independence. Every week, we got a list of projects to work on after lectures, but there were no grades and no deadlines (besides for the one big group project and the two major solo projects). The lack of solid structure may be a con for some people, but, for me, it was like being told, "I believe in you." Those imagined words helped me be successful at RefactorU. So did the smart and passionate teachers, who gave clear (and oftentimes entertaining!) lectures and were there to help when I got stuck. Rob has an unshakable warm, positive attitude that makes him a great teacher in addition to being a great coder, and I enjoyed Raphael's attention to detail and clear passion for the topics he lectured on.

I can't think of a single thing about RefactorU that would dissuade me from telling any self-motivated, technically-inclined person to go there. My only complaint is that I would have preferred more early, clear communication about the specific times, dates, and expectations of project presentations, graduation day, and events in general, but I understand that RefactorU is a new business. They're always working toward finding the best way to do things and tinkering with the course load to include what is most relevant in today's tech industry, and their 96% job placement rate shows they're doing it right. If you're ready and willing to remake yourself and to dedicate yourself to learning, you'll find, like I did, that RefactorU isn't too good to be true, at all. It's real and it works.

• Alex • Graduate

<!--?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?-->

In short, RefactorU has changed my life for the better as I now have a job as a Software Engineer, a job that I truly love.

RefactorU is hands down the BEST bootcamp in CO! Best bang for the buck, awesome curriculum delivered by instructors that genuinely care about seeing students succeed.

In a mere 10weeks, I was able to successfully transition myself from life as a Soldier in the Army to being a contributing member on a software team. Not only does RefactorU teach you how to code, you also learn how to enter the industry via  a parallel carrier services track. I followed the track to the ’t’ and landed a job before the bootcamp was even over.

In just ten weeks I was able to exceed the stats of both Turing and sSchool all while maintaining a solid work/life balance.

So, I learned to code and landed my dream job but there’s more. I made 32 really close life-long friends, laughed more than I have in as long as I can remember. Peers help one-another rather than competing. The culture at RefactorU is centered around individual success fostered through group collaboration. Coding is incredibly social (who knew?). Students are exposed to pair-programming and working in teams early on, preparing them to work in industry.

I’m 30 and finally hitting my stride thanks to RefactorU.

Making the decision to attend RefactorU is the best decision that I’ve made in my life hands down.

A few words about the curriculum: Learning the MEAN stack (MongoDB, Express, AngularJS, and Node.js) is the most effective way to learn the BIG-PICTURE. Principles learned at RefactorU can be applied to other languages/stacks/frameworks/technologies. The coding challenges are extremely relevant to real-world problems and aided me substantially during my interview process.

RefactorU transforms non-coders into world class entry level programmers.

I’m looking forward to having you join the RefactorU Alumni network.

RefactorU Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at RefactorU, 96% graduated. 88% of graduates were job-seeking and 100% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $64,140. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 75 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

This reflects data collected through the Summer of 2015. We will revise and update with 2016 statistics as data becomes available.