redwood-code-academy--logo

Redwood Code Academy

Irvine, Irvine, Orange County, San Diego

Redwood Code Academy

Redwood Code Academy offers 12-week full-time, and 24-week part-time full-stack software development bootcamps in Orange County, CA. Technologies taught include HTML, CSS, Javascript, ReactJS, C# .NET Core, Node.js, SQL, MongoDB, RESTful API, AWS, Git Workflow, and Agile Development. Redwood Code Academy covers full stack software development, with a focus on web application, but also includes mobile applications, desktop applications and cloud services. The Academy focuses on real world skills training by helping students learn the fundamentals of full stack development, work in teams to build a portfolio and gain the skills necessary to interview and land a dream job.

To apply candidates should fill out an online questionnaire, schedule a visit to the Redwood campus to meet with a mentor, attend a beginner workshop, and participate in a final interview.

Upon completion of the curriculum, Redwood Code Academy provides students with career guidance including resume prep, optimization of LinkedIn and Github profiles, mock job interviews, and introductions to local recruiters and employers in Redwood's hiring network.

Recent Redwood Code Academy Reviews: Rating 4.55

all (56) reviews for Redwood Code Academy →

Recent Redwood Code Academy News

Read all (7) articles about Redwood Code Academy →
  • Full Stack Immersion

MongoDB, HTML, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, SQL
    LocationIrvine
    Students will learn the fundamentals of full-stack development, work in teams to build a portfolio and gain necessary skills. The program is broken up into: Software Fundamentals, Web apps and front-end development Full-stack .NET and SQL Starter Portfolio Project Capstone Portfolio Project Interview and Industry Prep
    We have partnered with SkillsFund to provide student loans
  • Part Time - Full Stack

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, jQuery, Mobile, React.js, Node.js, Front End, SQL
    LocationIrvine
    Become a software developer without quitting your day job. Learn the in's and out's of coding in 24 weeks of night classes. Industry Leading Curriculum Learn the most sought after technologies that employers are looking for. We have a focus on the .NET framework and also dig deep into web development including JavaScript. Get the same curriculum and lessons taught in our full time class, without needing to change your work schedule.
    We have partnered with SkillsFund to provide financing

• Redwood Rocks
    - 4/30/2018
    Andrew Hwang  User Photo
    Andrew Hwang • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I came into Redwood with a very limited background in comp sci and software development and as of 3 days ago, I've successfully completed 12 weeks of their full-stack development bootcamp. The huge amount of material we were able to get through was very well laid out and taught by Harrison and their instructors. The lessons themselves were very helpful to get an introduction to all the moving pieces that are involved in web development and I believe I have a strong foundation to start my career in software development.

For future cohorts, I recommend focusing on the JavaScript prework and always put in time outside of class to dive deeper into programming. Redwood does an excellent job of providing a foundation of coding knowledge but there's always more to know and more to practice.

TL;DR -- 5 stars. Would recommend!

• Great Curriculum
    - 9/10/2020
    Jackson Kurt  User Photo
    Jackson Kurt • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     “”
    I was job hunting , had a CS background but I had a long employment gap where I was not in the industry. I felt like my skills were stale and I needed get up to date on recent technologies. The curriculum at Redwood is great and got me where I needed to be. Thank you Redwood!
  • Cynthia E  User Photo
    Cynthia E • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    RCA allowed me to move from having no experience at all to being a software engineer within a year's time.
  • Franklin Smith  User Photo
    Franklin Smith • Web developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     I recommend the Red Code Academy for anyone who wants to learn to be a developer and one that’s especially useful in the more digital and online business industry. I didn’t just learn things about coding; I also got some essential insight into how the industry works and how to get ahead of the pack so I could pursue a career in it.
  • Highly recommended
    - 8/13/2020
    Victor P  User Photo
    Victor P • Verified via LinkedIn
     The instructors in Red Code Academy are beneficial, and they made sure to explain the concepts clearly and in ways that aren’t too complicated. The topics can be complex, but there’s a real feel of community where both instructors and fellow students help you out. I highly recommend them. Thank you!
  • Larah V  User Photo
    Larah V • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     At my age, I wasn’t sure if I could learn something that seemed as complicated as coding, but I learned that I could surpass my expectations in Red Code Academy. Anything that I couldn’t understand was broken down for me clearly, and I was able to get the hang of things with help from the instructors.
  • Vince K  User Photo
    Vince K • Back-End Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    *My honest/ bias review*

I was skeptical that Redwood Code Academy couldn't deliver what it promised—the software engineering job I wanted—after only three months. It, very easy to see all these advertisements and get this feeling. It took me 7 1/2 months to land my first position but that is based on each individual and how fast they learn to apply these technologies to real-world applications. After my time, in the first 3 months, I still felt uneasy about my job readiness due to my lack of knowledge. I then spoke to the owner, he gladly told me to sit in with the part-time class. That was the final piece to my success...the FT class was too much info all at one, also the pace was too fast for me, going back to this is based off personal opinion, others in my cohort were perfectly fine. Too really make the most of it, my best way of letting things sink in was when studying on my off days was too only study for 3-4 hrs and stop after that. Overwhelming yourself on all this information is a quite honestly a waste and most likely you will forget a portion of it. Remember to take a break and exercise, Coding isn't your entire life.

I had worked in IT, and had never coded prior to 2019 - my background was mainly focused on troubleshooting hardware/ software applications.  Redwood Code Academy distinguishes itself from coding boot camps by its commitment to its students—they believe that no matter your background, you can succeed in tech by learning to view the inevitable mental blocks that arise while coding as opportunities for growth and pushing through them—instead of viewing them as indications that you’re “just not a tech person”.  By pushing through those mental blocks, I gained confidence in my own abilities as an engineer that is as valuable (or more) as the knowledge of various technologies I came away with.  If you love solving problems and are drawn to making a difference in technology, but unsure how to break into the industry, look no further than Redwood Code Academy.

Redwood Code Academy has had the success they've had not only because of the top-notch education but because of all the other services they provide that are essential for junior developers when diving into the journey of job hunting. That includes building your portfolio, interviewing practice (including whiteboarding!), resume building, growing your social media presence (in the right places), and the importance of networking. My instructor and now friend Abdul went above and beyond in prepping me to become the developer I am today! A+++

Choosing to put thousands of dollars into something is a big decision, so I hope every person thinking of joining a boot camp does their research. I went to a few free sessions to see if it was right for me, please do this for every campus you check out, it is crucial the environment, and instructors suits your needs. I'm happy, I chose Redwood Code Academy.

• student
    - 4/19/2020
    Y. Pan  User Photo
    Y. Pan • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended the onsite boot camp training on 2019. It was a great place to learn programming. The school has a very good balanced curriculum. Over there you will learn most hottest programming technology in current market. You will also learn  fundamental programming knowledge. The training is fast pace but instructor and instructor assistant are always available to help you understand and resolve problems you might have. They also teach you in job searching, which I found it is very helpful for me, I was able to find my job within 2 months after graduation.
  • Steve M  User Photo
    Steve M • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    If it wasn't for the instructors, my review would be lower.

I'm not usually one to write a review, but due to current revelations of others and their disappointing reviews of Redwood Code Academy, I feel that I need to join them by writing my own to inform future students.

At the time I started looking into joining a coding bootcamp, RCA was under different ownership. The information listed on the website was of the previous ownership's tract record and accolades, and it was the reason I chose RCA. Under the new ownership, RCA doesn't have the reputation or abilities it is trying to portray by keeping old information (including the testimonials) on the website and in the 2019 Syllabus.

Weeks 1 - 6 was too much information for the time allotted and it wasn't even the same as listed in the Syllabus when I signed up.

Weeks 7 - 12 was a course created for a high-school AP class which we didn't fully complete by the end of week 12. It was suggested that we finish the lesson on our own. Our "hack-a-thon" was a joke due to the last-minute addition of AWS (Amazon Web Services). We had one-hour of AWS instruction the day prior to the hack-a-thon event.

Week 13 (job assistance week), this is where RCA fell short. We prepared our resumes as promised, but after that, help was non-existent. I had no in-person technical interview practice, no mock phone interview practice, no strong network of alumni and industry veterans ready to assist and support, and I met with one local recruiter who didn't work with the supporting employers listed on the website. In addition, the companies the recruiter did work with didn't have positions or paid internships available for newly graduated students. Finally, there were, and still, no regularly scheduled meetups and events to help graduates network with each other and hiring managers.

Overall, my biggest complaint with RCA is the lack of "TRUE" job support. If you want an unpaid internship offer rather than a true job placement, there were some. Plus, if you were lucky with the unpaid internship, you might get hired at minimum wage.

The takeaway for this review is... DON'T waste your money with RCA and find a bootcamp that cares more about your outcome than their income. Because a good review is worth more than bad hustler.
  • Great bootcamp
    - 2/27/2020
    Shaun Elam  User Photo
    Shaun Elam • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Learn so many technologies such as ass c#, javascript, AWS, etc. All teachers and assistants were very dedicated and cared about the understanding of the topics, had a lot of fun playing ping pong on breaks lol. Even after you graduate you can come in and get extra help on things and even sit in on new class cohorts that come in.
  • Sebastian  User Photo
    Sebastian • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

If you find yourself frustrated with your self-learning journey in programming (i.e. progressing slower than you'd like, not having all the answers to your question), then Redwood is definitely for you. Their full stack developer bootcamp is very thorough in preparing you for a junior web developer position. What you get out of the program is all dependent on what you put in, but Redwood definitely provides the resources for you to push yourself. Paul Epps is an amazing instructor and Senior Dev with 20+ years of experience. He can answer any questions regarding programming or the career path, and makes himself available before class to walk you through any topics you are struggling with. Karim also works full time to help you in your job search full time, providing feedback on every step of the process and helping you find leads wherever they are. The TA also put in a lot of extra hours to ensure no one fell behind the rest of the class.

I thought the job search would take months, but it took me two weeks of job hunting to land my first dev job under the tutelage of Redwood (It sounds ludicrous but somehow it happened). You definitely need to devote yourself to the program if you want to get the results you're expecting, but Redwood gives you an abundance of opportunities to grow as a developer.

• Heather  User Photo
    Heather • Web Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Before attending Redwood, I visited various coding bootcamps in the OC area. Instantly, I felt Redwood was the right fit because from day one, I never felt like a number or just another student. Redwood was also the only program in the area that offered a C# / .NET back end curriculum and allowed me to learn the complete full stack throughout the program instead of choosing between front or back end halfway through the program. Before choosing Redwood I reached out to alumni and was very happy with their outcomes and feedback which also set Redwood apart from other schools.

When inquiring about the school, I was happy that I met with the program director, Karim, instead of being presented with a sales pitch in a room full of people. He met with me one on one which I appreciated. He took the time to thoroughly discuss the program and listen to my goals. He made me feel like he cared about my future and whether I was ready or not. He made sure I wanted to join a bootcamp for the right reasons and that I had enough understanding of basic Javascript, HTML, and CSS to do well in the program. He also addressed all my concerns and fears of quitting my job to start Redwood's program and my anxiety about successfully finding a job after the program was finished.

My instructors were AMAZING! Each of them had a unique style of teaching that allowed me to learn so many languages in such a quick time. If I ever felt lost or unsure they were willing to give me extra lessons and spend time with me after class to make sure I was absorbing new concepts. Most importantly, they cared about my success. Their success was my success and they were willing to give as much advice and mentorship to help give me the confidence I needed to finish the program.

The program and the job hunt both require hard work and persistence. Because of the support of the Redwood staff, I successfully completed the program and within a month of my job search began receiving job offers.  I now work as a web developer and couldn't be happier with my decision.

Overall I am grateful that I placed my career in the right hands. I am confident if you give Redwood a chance and believe in yourself, work hard and make the sacrifice, you will be successful.

Thank you Redwood!!!

• AllanK  User Photo
    AllanK • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The Full Stack Immersion course was difficult, but the more work you put in & out of school the more you get out of it. If you need the extra help they have after hours which helped me greatly, cause that's where you get 1on1 help. I went in right after highschool with little to no knowledge of JavaScript and I came out with a knowledge of Full Stack Development in 3 months. There's also a week 13 (optional, but highly recomended) and it's all about job prep. e.g. mock interviews, resume review, and job searching, but remember YOU also have to put in the work of job searching. The campus was bigger than I expected; two classrooms, spacious break room, and a sequoia room(which is like a quiet room for anyone to use). Overall I had a great time at Redwood all the staffs and students vibed greatly.