origin-code-academy-logo

Origin Code Academy

San Diego

Origin Code Academy

Origin Code Academy offers a full-time, 12-week intensive coding bootcamp based out of San Diego, California. Students have the opportunity to engage in classes focused on the intensive study of software development, career coaching, and networking. Origin Code Academy cares less about how much you know before the class, and more about how much you care and how hard you work. After applying online, there is an in-person interview. The program covers technologies like HTML/CSS, JavaScript, .NET, SQL, MongoDB, Git, jQuery, JSON, Express, Node, and React. The average class size is 16 students and the curriculum is specifically tailored toward using technologies that employers are hiring for in Southern California, and specifically San Diego. Origin Code Academy's Career Services partners with employers to place students and offer guidance throughout the job search.

Recent Origin Code Academy Reviews: Rating 4.35

Interview

• AMAZING Teacher
    - 5/20/2016
    Anonymous • Software Developer

Origin Code academy provides a fantastic curriculm that mirrors a real world stack.  Not only is the technology stack great for job seekers, the Main Instructor and Co-Founder Cameron Wilby is superb.  You could not ask for a better teacher.  His instruction and guidance will help you grasp concepts much faster compared to reading books and self practice.  Not only is he a good teacher, he also has many years of real world development experience. He can quickly pick up topics and become well-versed in new areas which makes him an amazing teacher for new programmers.  His instruction will accelerate your learning ten-fold.

Origin code academy will give you all the tools you need to succeed.  Its up to you to put it to work.

• My OCA Experience
    - 7/25/2018
    Erik  User Photo
    Erik • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I started at Origin with only some HTML and CSS experience. So almost all of the curriculum I was not familiar with, and it was definitely eye opening and intimidating. I was also coming from a craft beer job where I was on my feet all day talking to people. Once I started to get into the rythm of things, and really get to know the teachers and other students things began to click a lot more.

It was not an easy road, as I was hitting "blockers" and feeling like I wasn't built to do this. But I kept my head up with a good attidude which is what you will need day in and out. The reason web developers get paid well is because it's not an easy skill to learn for most! But with determination and positivity you can defintiely do it.

When you graduate the course you are not done, applying for jobs is another beast you will have to take on with the same grit. But Origin gives you the tools and resources to attack this as well.

I am now a graduate of the course that has an app in the iOS store, and just landed an awesome web developer job at a great tech company in Downtown San Diego. Big props to Justin in career services!

Bottom line - it's not easy, cheap or for the weak minded. Origin is not there to hold your hand, but to help guide you on your way to be a Jr Dev.

• Kenneth Nakayama  User Photo
    Kenneth Nakayama • Implementation Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Bootcamps are a relatively new thing at the moment. It can be scary putting so much money down in hopes of graduating with the promise of a fulfilling job.  But Origin is a bootcamp that works as long as your dedicated and willing to put in the work. To explain I will try to describe my process so anyone who reads this will know what they are getting into.

My journey at Origin started with an interview from Ryan Dalton,  He’ll told me about the curriculum and showed around the office. What he was really doing was sizing me up to see if I was dedicated and if I was hireable.  When I say hireable, I mean he was looking to see if I presented myself professionally and that dressed appropriately( for the record developers don’t wear suits, the wear nice jeans and a nice shirt if they need to dress up).

After meeting with him twice I agreed to join the program.  I was told that it was not a standard 12 week course, but more of a learn at your own pace program to insure you learn at a rate that fits you best.  Don’t be deterred by this because you see ads from other Bootcamps that promise you a job in 12 weeks. There is a reason why they call these schools bootcamps, they are packed full of material, and the course work could easily become overwhelming if you have never coded before like myself.

In the beginning of the program, The instructors were very helpful to each question.  But as I got further into the curriculum they would help less and less, instead of showing you answers they would start to point you in the direction of where to find the answer to a problem.  This became frustrating for me because I felt like they should help me based on how much I paid. But at its core, being a web developer is not about how much you know, but how well you problem solve. As I worked though my projects with less and less help I became a stronger developer, and by the end of the course I finally saw the full picture.

It took me a little more than 5 months to finish the course. That's just me, I knew people in the class that got out in 12 weeks it really just depends on you. Once I was out I started working with Origin’s job hunter Justin Renfro, he handles the hard part, getting you a job.  He’s not a developer but from my experience he definitely knows what he's doing. I kept in contact with him and did everything he asked me to do, two months after I graduated I got hired by a company he put my in contact with.

I’ve been at my new job for about a month and I love it, I won’t discuss specific numbers but I’m very happy with my pay, It’s enough to live quite comfortably and pay off the loan I took out to go to Origin quickly.

If your looking to make a chance, your a hard worker, and can trust the process. I totally recommend this place.  They take care of you as long as you do what they advise you to do.

• Great Deal
    - 5/16/2018
    Keegan  User Photo
    Keegan • Quality Assurance Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

When I came to Origin I was initially a little bit hesitant to sign up. I had more of a technical background than some of the people signing up and I was wondering if I would be better off taking some cheap udemy classes rather than sit in a class for three months. I knew basic python, SQL, and I had been working close to a year as a healthcare software (epic) consultant prior to joining. After completing the program I can say I learned far more here than I could realistically achieve on my own with udemy/pluralsight/ect courses.

The way the curriculum is structured helps you learn how to learn on your own. You are given a number of projects/courses that you need to complete on your own. Instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful and will point you in the right direction when you are stuck but will not solve the project for you. The last month is all group work using git where you will use version control/ branching to create software in teams. I'm using almost everything I learned at Origin at my new job.

Job assistance was top notch. I was invited to interviews early on and landed an offer a month before graduating. If you finish the program and put the work in then you will most likely get an offer soon after you graduate.

The only thing I would mention as a con (could be a pro depending on the person) is that very few people complete the course in three months. The people who did had some combination of previous experience, long hours (12+ hours a day ), or are smart enough to be a rocket scientist. I had some minor programming experience and IT experience and I completed the program in 4 months. I came in almost every day and worked 8 to 10 hours. There is a lot of content in the program and I saw people who spent 6 months or more completing the course. For most people who put the effort in and have no technical experience, I would expect you to take closer to 6 months to complete the program.

• Byron Luk  User Photo
    Byron Luk • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had a great experience at Origin Code Academy. If you're looking to make a career change into software development and you're serious about doing so, definitely check this place out.

I spent 4 months working through the curriculum and after around 4 weeks of searching I received two awesome full-time job offers from two awesome companies. Origin is well connected to San Diego tech companies and they host a monthly job fair for graduates. Plus, they have a career counselor that is extremely helpful and resourceful in regards to finding a job and preparing for interviews.

The office is nice and clean, there is a fridge and microwave for food, and plates and cups as well. I would recommend talking to their Admissions manager -- Ryan Dalton and seeing if a coding boot camp would be a good fit.

• Cole  User Photo
    Cole • Data Entry • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am a graduate of Origin Code Academy. I attended OCA about a year ago. I went through the entire 12 weeks of the bootcamp and it was an okay experience. I say "okay" because of how expensive it was.

They taught me alot but I was paying them north of $350 a day to teach me how to code. I thought it was an investment because in my mind I thought I was going to get hired as a developer within a week of graduation. After I graduated I was applying to jobs every day, every new developer job I saw I applied and followed up with emails. I got a few interviews but I was too inexperienced. I met with jeff (jeff is the founder of OCA) a few times for "job assistance." I did however after 7 months landed a minimum wage job... but it was NOT a software/web developer job. I was content with the job because it was a job that paid.

All in all, for the money not worth it. In retrospect I should have not done the Origin Code Academy bootcamp. I should've done a monthly subscription course such as teamtreehouse.com, pluralsight.com, and udemy.com.

I don't want to bash OCA but I want to tell people my story and have them think before they get themselves in a financial struggle like me.

• Mike E.  User Photo
    Mike E. • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Origin Code Academy was one of many coding bootcamps that I considered to attend after deciding it was time to make a change professionally. My goal was to shrink the learning curve, absorb knowledge, and most importantly land a job in software engineering in the shortest time possible.

It was important for me to understand what I was getting myself into so I stalked Origin Code Academy and its founders online, met with Jeff, Cameron, and some of the students personally, and got familiar with the curriculum and how it’s taught. My research showed that out of all bootcamps considered, OCA offers the clearest path to employment upon graduation. OCA makes it a point to stay connected with the community of developers and employers, they know what technologies are being used in the industry in San Diego and they align their curriculum with technologies most in demand.

The 12-week course consisted of several parts. Starting with the backend and .NET technologies we learned the fundamentals of application architecture, database schemas, and how it all comes together in Web API applications. From there we moved to frontend technologies, combined it with backend technologies to create full stack web applications. The course culminated with a final project - an application that you build to show off what you have learned. Cameron is a caring, patient, and tough mentor. He made sure that I have an understanding of the fundamentals that I will be applying in my future work.

The coursework was done, now it was time to dive into the job search. This was one of the toughest things I had to face professionally. I was a brand new developer with little experience. The imposter syndrome was a real impediment. Fortunately, Jeff’s support with building a solid resume, having weekly check-ins, spreading the word about me and other graduates to employers and recruiters, and preparing us for the interview process, gave me a significant push towards reaching my goal of obtaining the desired software engineering position at the desired salary. Mentally, this is a taxing process. Jeff and Cameron were talking me through each step of the way.

It’s been over a year since I graduated. I’m happily employed as a Full Stack Software Engineer at one of the coolest companies in San Diego that develops its own products. I feel very fortunate I have met Jeff and Cameron. I wish them and OCA nothing but success

• Adriann Bracken  User Photo
    Adriann Bracken • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I started to find an interest in basic html and css so went online to teach myself for free. I learned a lot and started to realize how much I enjoyed it but felt I hit a wall with how much more I could learn. Attending Origin is one of the greatest things I ever did, not just for the knowledge but also the people.

• Mike Murray  User Photo
    Mike Murray • Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I heard about Origin Code Academy (OCA) as I was randomly eating in a Mexican restaurant.  I had just moved to San Diego and did not know what I was going to do for a job.  I knew I did not want to go back into the hardware side of IT / Computers, and I had just missed the deadline to apply to a 4 year school to finish my bachelor's degree.  Vowing to not return to my old type of job, I figured, "Let's try it."  I fully admit the commercial had a very informercial feel / unrealistic vibe to it, but I had no other options at that point.  I had shied away from CS initially in college as I was very intimidated by the difficulty that was associated with CS degrees.  Little did I know it would so positively change the rest of my life.

Going into the course I had done Team Treehouse and Code Academy courses for pre-work, which helped a significant amount throughout the duration of the course at OCA.  The one thing about not just OCA, but any programming boot camp, or even a BS in Computer Science, is that you will only progress as much as you push yourself and drive yourself.  Programming overall is extremely difficult and time consuming.  Nine times out of ten, if someone is complaining about a progamming school or academy, it is because they expected to have their hand held 100% of the time.  OCA goes above and beyond helping students become great programmers, but if you do not do any work or put any effort in yourself, do not expect to learn anything.  It would be a waste of your money if you go into a coding school without a decent amount of research and pre-work done - you HAVE to be tenacious.

The instructor that taught my cohort was extremely knowledgeable and helpful not only during class hours, but after hours and on the weekend.  I have even occasionally reached out and received help with my coding after I graduated.  What a lot of people do not know is that, specifically with OCA, you are gaining access to an amazing network of resources that will help you grow as a programmer, obtain a job (not just your first job, but developer positions for the rest of your career), and life long friends.  OCA is not only the best thing to ever happen to me, but to almost every single alumni that has attended OCA that I have ever talked to.

• Great experience
    - 3/25/2017
    Travis Golia  User Photo
    Travis Golia • C#/.NET Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After many jobs focused around business management and data analytics (think Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations), I decided to take a risk by making a career change and trying out Software Development. I couldn't be happier that I decided to jumpstart this change by attending Origin.

I was in Cohort 7, taught by Cameron Wilby. He's an amazing instructor who, despite his crazy knowledge of extremely complex subjects, is able to easily come up with analogies to help us understand. He answered any and all questions/concerns I had and is extremely open to feedback on how to teach more effectively. He also kept the curriculum flexible so that we could spend extra time on subjects that people were struggling with. I also asked the other instructors, Sean and Mike, for help when Cameron was busy, and they were helpful as well. I didn't spend 12 weeks with them like I did with Cameron, but any experiences I had with them were very positive.

The curriculum is tailored to whatever employers are looking for in San Diego, so I know it had been updated for our Cohort (more Angular,.NET, MEAN stack focus than previous Cohorts) and has been edited even more for Cohorts after me - this makes sense that they constantly tweak the curriculum, as their #1 focus is to help get you your first job as a developer after the 12 weeks. The first 6-7 weeks was mostly individual projects where everyone in the class helped each other out, which maybe an hour or 2 of lectures in the morning, and the rest of the time spending coding. Learning by doing is most effective for me, so this was a great fit personally. The next 2 weeks were group projects where you learn how Agile development and how to conduct a Sprint. Then the last 3-4 weeks was our final project where we worked with local companies to develop something for them.

The #1 reason I chose Origin over other boot camps in the area was their focus on job placement after the 12 weeks, and they definitely delivered. I was lucky enough to start in a software development role less than a month after graduating. Most of my classmates have accepted positions already, or at the very least have gotten numerous interviews. That's pretty impressive for boot camp grads, all of which had no previous development experince on their resumes before Origin.

I dabbled with coding and online courses for years leading up to Origin, but the class gave me a framework to turn my dream of becoming a coder into a reality. I found myself happily devoting my life to development for these 12 weeks, and now, it's just a part of who I am. I'm so happy I got out of my comfort zone and started a career in software development, and I am extremely grateful for Jeff, Cameron, my classmates, and everyone else at Origin who made this possible. If you're serious about making a career transition into coding, or if you just want access to amazing resources for accelerating your career, I would highly recommend Origin.

• John Abanto  User Photo
    John Abanto • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I grew up with the internet and went to a techincal college to pursue a tech career but didn't pan out back in the early 2000's and ended up pursuing a successful career in retial management. I found myself not happy doing what I was doing and began to look back at what I wanted to do coming out of high school, so I looked up coding and found Origin Code Academy.

Let me tell you I had a long process before I took that leap of faith to quit my established career and try and become a software developer. I contacted Jeff the owner when the school was only teaching its second cohort in prospects of joining a night class, which eneded up not being available due to availablity. So I had to look back and see if this HUGE change of life and commitment is something I can do. Six months later after saving money and planning I quit my job and started going to school in September. I was nervous and anxious to go back to school after 10+ years out of it but I was signed up and ready to go.

What sold me about Origin was Jeff CEO went thru a similar experience I did where I finished school but had little to no help actually landing a job and feeling prepared for the real world. He tailored the curriculum to fullfill what San Diego companies need and want so it really felt like I was ready to tackle what the real world would throw at me. The course was great but more so was the atmosphere created by the staff and my fellow students. I couldn't be happier that I was hired within 3 weeks after graduation now working as a Web Developer for a great startup. If you have any questions reach out to any students or you can randomly find me at the school whenever I work remotely, I tend to just hang out there lol.

• BEWARE!!!
    - 5/25/2018
    Sean • Student

BUYER BEWARE!!! Origin has been ordered to shut down do not give them your money. You can read the citation and order of abatement by going to the Bureau for Private and Postsecondary Education.  Not only are they operating illegally they don't teach anything and took me for $13,000.  Aside from my obvious nightmare of an experience the citation should tell you all you need to know about the shadiness of the way this company operates.  They pulled  a bait and switch on me, completely lied to everyone in there and we all feel deceived.  Please do your homework and DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!!!!

Response From: Jeff Winkler of Origin Code Academy
    Title: Founder, CEO
    Monday, Jun 11 2018
    I wanted to clarify some of the above since it's disappointing that someone would craft a false narrative without consulting me or the State of California regarding the facts.  First, I think it's important to know that the student missed a little over 10 weeks of class in what is intended to be a 12 week class meaning he didn't graduate.  That is the core issue as to why he didn't learn how to code although he is still perfectly capable of becoming successful.  In addition to that, I told him that I was open to discussing a refund, but he told me he didn't feel comfortable talking to me about it.  The same week that he dropped out was the week that one of our recent grads got a job at Facebook up in Menlo Park as a software engineer.  Our process works, but not if you don't come to class for two and a half months within a three month timeframe.  We have a job placement process that is second to none, and we are willing to meet with students every week until they get a job, and we are really really good at getting grads jobs.  In addition, the State of California is working with all code schools to get us licensed.  We are working through the official process now and have been for the last 2 1/2 years.  Coding bootcamps are still in their infancy and the State of California's role is to protect the consumer and we share the same values.  Unfortunately, the State of California doesn't always move at the rate that technology does, but their intentions are pure and they are actively working with all of us coding bootcamps in Southern California to make rules that continue to get students jobs while protecting consumers.  I started this code school because I had a horrible experience at one that is no longer in business and can tell you that when it comes to getting grads placed, there is no one better at it than Origin.
  • Sabrina • Graduate

Origin Code Academy was a great choice for the training I needed to make a career change. I was looking for a program that allowed me to learn full-time in a classroom setting and cover a lot of curriculum in a short amount of time. Origin did just that. As a student, I had access to the classroom any time I needed. The school was in a great location in downtown San Diego. The curriculum covered a very full stack of languages and was adapted to the most marketable languages and skills for the San Diego market. The program is intense and they expect you to jump right into the curriculum which proved to be the best way for me to learn. Make sure to come to class prepared and pre-work completed as this will help to keep you from falling behind.

Cameron was an incredible instructor and I would recommend everyone joining Origin to request his class specifically. He is so personable and really cares if you do well and understand the material. He is an incredible programmer, a wealth of knowledge and would take the time to learn a new tool or language if you expressed interest in learning more about something that wasn't in the core curriculum. He was my favorite part of Origin and I cannot say enough good things about him.

When I attended Origin, there were several transitions with administrative staff in the middle of the cohort. Even with the changes, the staff did a great job filling in and making sure that students had enough support. One of the biggest reasons I chose Origin Code Academy was the help that they offer for job assistance. While it did take several months to find my first development job, the additional help that I received from Jeff and the staff was exactly what I needed. It was Jeff's recommendation that ultimately led me to my first job offer. Realistically, students shouldn't expect to magically find a job the day after they graduate without any effort. Origin is good, but it's not that good! Expect to work hard to develop your coding skills, take time to practice your interviewing skills, be proactive in the job hunt and listen to Cameron and Jeff's advice. It can take a couple of weeks or a couple of months of searching before you find the right job.

I would have loved to have more companies show up at the graduation day presentations and more exposure to companies that are potential employers throughout the cohort to better prepare for the job searching process. However, with how well the staff takes feedback and actually does something with it, I am sure this is something that has already been addressed for future students.

• Joseph Kalb • Software Engineer • Graduate

About a year ago, I built my first computer and quickly realized that the only difficult part of the build was the software that went with it. From there I decided to take try taking some programming classes at a community college and loved it. The only problem was the downtime between classes made it seem like I was being taught such a small amount relative to the four months in completing a semester. I then looked for an alternative way to learn software development and found Origin.

Not only was I taught different languages and frameworks, but also how to go about researching and problem solving on my own. I'd highly recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a fresh start in an exciting career path.

• Robert Martin del Campo • Front End Software Engineer • Graduate

I would highly recommend to any one looking to up their skills in the latest web development practices in JavaScript and C# or just looking to change their career. It is an intense three month program that prepares you to enter the high tech world. The instructors are very knowledgeable and supportive.

The best part of the program is the comradery that you build and the freindships.

• The best!
    - 4/4/2017
    Anthony C. • Software Developer • Graduate

Best thing I've done with my career.  I learned more in 3 months at Origin than I did in my previous 4 years in college. The staff is great and very helpful.  I truly feel like I gained a new family not only from the fellow students in my cohort, but also from the students from all the cohorts before and after me. Origin gave me all the right tools to become a great software developer and pursue my new career.  Great first step to take in pursuit of the tech life!

• Dreu Stepanik • Software Engineer • Student

Could not be more grateful for the support, and lessons demonstrated throughout my time at Origin Code Academy. It is not just a temporary bond, it is something that will last through time. I am honored to be a part of the Alumni, and to take these new found skills into my future career path.

Thank you Jeff, and Cameron!

• Best decision ever
    - 3/16/2017
    Francisco • Software Test Engineer • Graduate

I joined Origin Code Academy after almost a year of checking out different code schools and programs. I can confidently say it was the best decision that I have made. It was a huge decision since I was already in an established career making a decent salary and had many benefits including company car and phone etc. The problem was my day to day sanity and feeling of satisfaction was lacking or non existing. Software was something I could really get my hands dirty with and have the satisfaction at the end of the day that made me feel great and accomplished. Origin shaped my thinking and helped me understand basic and fundamental principles of software development in such a way that made it possible for me to learn more and succeed not only in a team environment but by myself. The support I received specifically after the course was constant and easily one of the most important parts of the program. I am happy to say that shortly after completeing the course I was offered and accepted a position at a well established and fantastic SaaS comapny local to San Diego.

• Reuven Kishon • Junior Front End Developer • Graduate

This review is long overdue.

Here I am a Junior Front End Developer at an awesome company in downtown San Diego, doing work that fits my personality way better than anything I had ever done before. But I could not have done it without Origin.

Who would have thought I was contemplating quitting 2-3 weeks in? So glad I didn't, and I can thank Jeff Winkler and Kelly Lovett for being persistant in pushing me to keep at it -- thanks guys!

I really can't complain about anything. My fellow cohorts were awesome, my teacher (Sean) was awesome, the curriculum was in line with what was most in demand in San Diego and the support I got when looking for work was exactly what I expected -- I was placed right after graduation!

I'm proof that you can make a career change in your mid to late thirties if you put the effort in and have the support in place. I never thought I'd make this leap, but I did and I'm so glad.

Thank you for the experience and memories Origin!

• Wesley • Full Stack Developer • Graduate

I do not have a single negative thing to say about Origin. From the cirriculum to the instructors themselves, from the facility/classrooms to the post-graduation services, this place is an incredible experience for anyone looking to make the jump into the world of development.

The staff is very good about identifying the specific needs of each student, and adjusting to the various skill levels in each class. No matter where you are in your coding ability, Origin will be able to help you and push you. I had Cameron and Sean as the instructors in my class, and both were extremely knowledgable, but also had the right personalities for teaching.

When it came time to graduate and start looking for a job, Jeff and Kelly were bending over backwards to make sure that every student had a well put together resume and was getting interviews. They stayed engaged throughout the entire process. If you follow their guidance during applications and interviews, there is no doubt in my mind that you can land a developer job after graduating from Origin.

Do yourself a favor and get in contact with these guys as soon as possible.

• Best Experience!
    - 3/10/2017
    Emil Juboori • QA Engineer • Graduate

Going into Origin Code academy I had no previous technical skills. Looking back at how much I learned within 12 weeks is crazy! I built some pretty cool projects along the way which I loved showing off to my friends and family. For the final project I was working for a local startup and building a product that was going to be used in the real world, specifically for firefighters. I felt it was a great way to transition and learn expectations for a future career in software. My teacher, Co-Founder Cameron Wilby, was amazing.  You could not ask for a better teacher, you could tell he really loved teaching the subject and was very patient. He went above and beyond what you expect from any teacher and I highly recommend signing up for one of his classes, he is extremely skilled. I felt very comfortable throughout my entire experience at Origin Code Academy. All of the staff was great! Kelly, Vice President of Business Development at Origin Code Academy, taught us some great techniques and showed us tips on how to land a job which I was able to accomplish in less than 3 weeks after finishing the course! To those reading this I should warn you my journey was not easy by any means, I often stayed late after class and came in on the weekends as well to study/code more. I am proud to say my hard work payed off and I couldn't thank everyone at Origin enough. I look forward to my new career that Origin laid the foundation for. If you are interested in becomming a software engineer Origin Code Academy is the best place to start.

• So Much Fun!!
    - 1/18/2017
    Cam • Student

After the 12 weeks at Origin I left there with an incredible understanding of multiple programing languages, a ton of great friends, and a job doing what I love. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience from a coding bootcamp. The Instructors were very knowledgeable and helpful. They have been in the industry for a long time, gave great advice on how to problem solve, and prepared me for my career. It was very easy to contact them outside of classroom hours and get help with anything I was working on. I gained a great understanding of programing fundimentals, while having a blast doing so. Being hired just 2 weeks after completing the course, I felt confident going into my new job.

• Jason Land • Full Stack Developer • Graduate

I had worked for a while as a jr dev in San Diego and wanted to jump start getting into roles that were more advanced. My old job didn't use any frameworks and I was having a little trouble learning on my own.

Cameron Wilby (my teacher at Origin; there's two, soon to be three) was able to guide a class of all levels (no coding experience to a little experience) and within 12 weeks were able to create full stack apps for the demo day. While the curriculum could have been a little tighter (I thought there was no need to teach jquery, and wanted more time learning unit tests) it was a pretty thorough course for 12 weeks.

Our class size was on the larger end of their range at 17 students. It never felt like too many people, and those of us who picked up on things quicker helped out other students who had questions. It was a very collaborative atmosphere.

There were no expectations of crazy salaries after graduating, with the staff being realistic that we'd mostly be evaluated as jr level developers which can be anywhere from $40-60k in San Diego. Due to my experience I was able to get $75k, up from $50k at my old job.

The job help is on a few different angles. They prep you for interview questions, both technical/whiteboard and HR. For my class there were at least two resume reviews. They help you identify who to contact on LinkedIn to bypass the dreaded resume black hole. If they know someone at the company you want to work at, they'll work that connection in your favor. They setup a trello board with labels for you to fill your status with every company you apply for. They'll even take a professional-looking photo for your LinkedIn so you don't look like a schlub programmer.

I had fun, I worked hard, I almost didn't have my project done by the Demo Day, pulled through at the last minute, learned things I didn't know I didn't know, and got the job I wanted. It was a great investment for me.

• Zak • Web Developer • Graduate

My 12-week cohort at Origin Code Academy was awesome! Growing up, I was always interested in computers. I was building them for friends and family before I even turned 13. Knowing a good amount about computer hardware was great but I couldn't really make a career of it. I tried the whole college thing and it just wasn’t for me. I ended up working in real estate for a few years after dropping out of the university I was attending. This was great and I enjoyed real estate for the most part but I still wanted something more.

I had been hearing a lot about coding boot camps and wanted to see what they were all about. I talked to a family member of mine who works in San Francisco for Dropbox as a developer. He gave me a few good starting points and books to check out. The sites I used to learn were ok, they were definitely lacking though. If you want to get any sort of real world job you’re going to need more experience than what a few websites can offer you.

Frustrated by the lack of depth I got from trying to learn online, I started looking at code schools. The previous conversation with my cousin brought to my attention some of the powerhouses in the boot camp world. After looking over what they had to offer I just wasn't sold. Sometime later I came across Origin Code Academy. I looked over the curriculum, talked with the founder, and met with the instructor. They really helped reassure me and helped plan a path for my success.

During my time at the boot camp I learned an incredible amount. I went from honestly not fully understanding what a string was, to writing and designing full stack applications. My instructor Cameron was incredible. I cannot say enough good things about him. He is smart, understanding, and patient, which says a lot when working with a group of new coders. The way he explains things and breaks them down for you really is what made this class so enjoyable. Cameron would go above and beyond to make sure all of us understood what was being taught. He was available anytime I needed him via Slack which was awesome when getting stuck on classwork from home.

After graduating from Origin I started freelancing full-time from, get this... wherever I want! As of writing this review, I currently have four happy clients that I do Web development for and it's growing fast. Being entrepreneurial, freelancing, and being my own boss was what I wanted for myself. Origin has helped me achieve those goals and I could not be more grateful for that.

If you are in the market for a code school, then look no further. I cannot recommend Origin enough. Be prepared to put a lot of hard hours in though, after all you only have 12 weeks. But, if you are up for a challenge and are ready to improve your life…. Apply!

• Totally worth it!
    - 1/28/2016
    Anonymous • software engineer • Graduate

I just finished my first week as a full-stack .NET developer, and that would not have happened without Origin Code Academy! The technology that is used at my job is very similar to what I learned at Origin Code Academy, with a few small differences to make it interesting.

I went to college a while back and got a B.S. in Computer Science-Mathematics, and worked as a developer before Web development existed, but then stuff happened and I ended up in other jobs. When I heard about coding bootcamps, I realized this could be my way back to development. I was nervous realizing I would be older than the average bootcamp student, but felt it would be worth it to try, and that some employers might value workplace experience.

I had recently returned from living overseas and was staying with a relative, so attending Origin Code Academy would mean paying my own living expenses in addition to the tuition. The job guarantee made me feel more confident in my decision, as a guarantee means the bootcamp is motivated to offer a curriculum that teaches the necessary skills, and is motivated to have contacts with employers.

From the first day, I was sure that I'd made the right decision. Cameron is a great instructor, and knows how to present topics in a way that shows how they are relevant to industry usage, and how to use them in applications. When there was something I didn't understand, he was always available to help. I liked that he assigned basic features and extras for homework, so that I could challenge myself to try to get the extras done.

Be prepared to work hard; after all you have only 12 weeks so you need to put in the time. I usually worked until 8-9pm, and worked on the weekends too, probably 70-80 hours a week, even more towards the end. I loved every minute of it, it was so fun to learn all these new concepts and write code and see my applications running on the Web! I had some challenges with my final project, and was not sure that I would be able to get it done, but I managed to complete it, and I was able to put a link to my final project on my resume!

If you are trying to decide whether to attend a coding bootcamp, then do some online coding courses to see if you like coding. If you have decided to go to a coding bootcamp, investigate the various curriculum offerings and compare them to job listings in the area where you want to work. The more prework you do, the better. Another student did a lot of Team Treehouse projects before the cohort, and I could really see that he had a very good grasp of CSS/HTML/Javascript.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

The curriculum: The curriculum simulates your typical software dev environment - they provide you the necessary materials that you'll need to go through the lesson plans, then you go about your day solving the practice problems at your pace, and the instructors will be available throughout the day to provide assistance as needed. The main takeaway from this learning style was that it helped us build good habits, develop help-accountability in owning up to our work, and over time build our confidence in independently solving problems.

The instructors: The instructors are amazing! They provide all the technical assistance that you'll need, as well as the humor, and the enthusiasm to keep you motivated to keep grinding. Their support system has helped me extensively--from the day that I first made my very own website, to the point where I already graduated and needed to prepare for my technical interviews in my search for a new job.

Job assistance: They are very much aware that for most of us, this is a career change, and so finding a job is of utmost importance. In addition to hosting monthly networking events at the office for recent grads/alumni to attend, they also help out in building your resume, and refining your interviewing skills by holding practice interviews and whiteboarding sessions.

Overall thoughts: Origin provides you the necessary tools to succeed, and depending on the talent and (more importantly) the amount of hard work put in by the candidate, all graduates are guaranteed to come out with a hollistic perspective on the tech space, and will be armed with the base tech skills that are in demand. Expect to work a ton, go above and beyond on your deliverables, and you will be handsomely rewarded by landing a fulfilling career!