origin-code-academy-logo

Origin Code Academy

San Diego

Origin Code Academy

Origin Code Academy offers a full-time, 12-week intensive coding bootcamp based out of San Diego, California. Students have the opportunity to engage in classes focused on the intensive study of software development, career coaching, and networking. Origin Code Academy cares less about how much you know before the class, and more about how much you care and how hard you work. After applying online, there is an in-person interview. The program covers technologies like HTML/CSS, JavaScript, .NET, SQL, MongoDB, Git, jQuery, JSON, Express, Node, and React. The average class size is 16 students and the curriculum is specifically tailored toward using technologies that employers are hiring for in Southern California, and specifically San Diego. Origin Code Academy's Career Services partners with employers to place students and offer guidance throughout the job search.

Recent Origin Code Academy Reviews: Rating 4.35

MongoDB, HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, SQL, CSS
    LocationSan Diego
    FinancingAvailable through Climb Credit

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

The curriculum: The curriculum simulates your typical software dev environment - they provide you the necessary materials that you'll need to go through the lesson plans, then you go about your day solving the practice problems at your pace, and the instructors will be available throughout the day to provide assistance as needed. The main takeaway from this learning style was that it helped us build good habits, develop help-accountability in owning up to our work, and over time build our confidence in independently solving problems.

The instructors: The instructors are amazing! They provide all the technical assistance that you'll need, as well as the humor, and the enthusiasm to keep you motivated to keep grinding. Their support system has helped me extensively--from the day that I first made my very own website, to the point where I already graduated and needed to prepare for my technical interviews in my search for a new job.

Job assistance: They are very much aware that for most of us, this is a career change, and so finding a job is of utmost importance. In addition to hosting monthly networking events at the office for recent grads/alumni to attend, they also help out in building your resume, and refining your interviewing skills by holding practice interviews and whiteboarding sessions.

Overall thoughts: Origin provides you the necessary tools to succeed, and depending on the talent and (more importantly) the amount of hard work put in by the candidate, all graduates are guaranteed to come out with a hollistic perspective on the tech space, and will be armed with the base tech skills that are in demand. Expect to work a ton, go above and beyond on your deliverables, and you will be handsomely rewarded by landing a fulfilling career!

• So little support
    - 2/15/2017
    Anonymous • Still looking • Graduate

I don't understand how they can still claim 93% job rate in their advertising... my cohort is more like 40%. Seems like they are still quoting their first class of 6 people from a year ago. It feels really dishonest. I've done the hussle and been on interviews, but I don't feel right working for a stuffy defense contractor in a cubical and there dont seem to be any other .Net jobs in the area.  I'm really disappointed and worried about what I'm going to do next.

Response From: Jeff Winkler of Origin Code Academy
    Title: Co-Founder
    Thursday, Mar 09 2017
    This is a tough one for me because I don't have any idea who this student could have been or what class they are speaking about as we've definitely never had a cohort that was anywhere near 40%. I started Origin Code Academy as I attended a bootcamp where I felt like no one cared and no one followed up with me after I graduated. So to hear what may be a grad feel the same way when we have a Career Services person that meets with employers daily and meets with the students weekly is very shocking!  I would ask that they reach out as we have openings from employers at the moment, but generally only pass those off to the students that have remained diligent in the job hunt.  I can't even think of any outstanding students that would write something like this to be honest, but if it was truly an alum, I'd love to sit down with you to assist you however possible as I am always interested in making Origin a better experience for the students, even if they hate their new high paying job at a defense contractor here in town afterwards. :)
  • Anonymous • Account Manager • Student

Jeff, the Co-Founder of Origin Code Academy promises to "do everything" to land students jobs. He barely assisted in placing anyone from our session. Origin just seems to be a numbers game where they get more students in than they know how to place. Jeff apparently says he doesn't know how to code either. Why listen to him?

Response From: Jeff Winkler of Origin Code Academy
    Title: CEO/Founder
    Tuesday, Dec 13 2016
    Origin Code Academy would like to note that this review was posted by a student who was removed from the Post-Graduate Job Assistance Program due to academic fraud. A hiring partner had reported to Origin Code Academy that this student had a third-party complete the take-home portion of the hiring examination – which is in direct breach of the Academy’s academic conduct policy.

Additionally, comments regarding myself, the Co-Founder of Origin Code Academy, are inaccurate and misleading.  I'm not an instructor, but instead serve as the CEO of the Academy and am responsible for overseeing operations.  All course instruction is led by Cameron Wilby, Co-Founder and Head Instructor for Origin Code Academy.  The Post-Graduate Job Assistance Program is led by Kelly Lovett, VP of Partner Development.
  • Awesome Experience
    - 7/29/2016
    Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate

I decided to take on a career change, and ended up deciding on software development. After looking through several different code schools, I landed on Origin Code Academy. Everything about the course was awesome. The teacher, Cameron Wilby, is an awesome dude and excellent teacher. Their curriculum is relevent to the job market and they encourage you to go out and learn as much as you can on your own as well as with the class.

With NO prior experience in anything relevent, I was able to land a job in software development within 3 months of graduation, and received constant assistance in my job hunt the entire time.

Highly recommended.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

Not to be over the top, but this course truly changed my life. I was able to change careers without spending years in other, more traditional programs and spent a fraction of what it would have cost to attend a more traditional multi-year program. The curriculum is more up-to-date than when you would find in your average college, and was highly applicable to the job market I was in.

The teachers are incredible and are constantly tweaking the curriculum to keep ahead of the curve (not a small task when new hot tech is coming out every day!). Not only are they incredibly talented, but they genuinely care about their students and will go the extra mile for you.

I was in a new job within a month of graduation, which I competed head-to-head with computer science majors for. The practical skills I learned at Origin were exactly what the market was looking for!

• Worth Every Penny!
    - 7/26/2016

Origin has changed my life immensely. Within months following graduation I started out as a developer intern, was then hired at a start-up, and then landed in my current role, tripling my salary from my last job. I could not be happier with my decision to start a tech career in San Diego. For those prospective students considering attending Origin, the student-to-instructor ratio is perfect to allow maximum individualized attention from the best teachers in the business, while also receiving constructive peer feedback and support. The day-to-day practical projects help immensely after following up with the morning learning topics, and the interview prep covers  a number of scenarios to help build confidence when the student is eventually placed in front of a hiring manager or dev team. Origin will give you every resource and opportunity to be a skilled full-stack developer, but it is up to the student to put in the discipline and the hours required.