grace-hopper-program-logo

Grace Hopper Program

Chicago, New York City, Online

Grace Hopper Program

The Grace Hopper Program is a 17-week, immersive software engineering program for women with no upfront tuition cost in New York City (13-weeks of the course will be on campus). Named for pioneer computer scientist Grace Murray Hopper, the program is driven by three values: education, opportunity, and mentorship. By employing a deferred tuition model, students only pay tuition once they secure a job after graduation. Grace Hopper aims to lower the barrier to entry and accept qualified candidates who cannot afford the upfront cost of a coding bootcamp. Once graduates land a job, they pay $19,610 tuition in installments over 9 months.

As an affiliate of Fullstack Academy, The Grace Hopper Program teaches the same JavaScript-focused curriculum. Graduates will be fluent in Computer Science fundamentals like algorithms, data structures, and object-oriented programming, React, HTML & CSS, JavaScript frameworks (Express.js, Node.js), SQL, and test-driven development.

Applicants must be women (the team defines "women" as anyone female identifying -- including transgender, genderqueer, and non-binary) who are passionate about coding and have the drive to succeed in an immersive environment. The immersive course is not designed for pure beginners, but if an applicant's technical skills are not advanced enough to pass the coding assessment, then the Grace Hopper team can provide learning resources to prepare you for the interview.

Recent Grace Hopper Program Reviews: Rating 4.87

all (53) reviews for Grace Hopper Program →

Recent Grace Hopper Program News

Read all (45) articles about Grace Hopper Program →
  • Bootcamp Prep in a Month

CSS, Express.js, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationChicago, New York City
    Fullstack’s Bootcamp Prep will help prepare you for admissions into our prestigious Grace Hopper Program. This rigorous course will also prepare you for admissions into other highly ranked coding bootcamps. You’ll learn more than just the fundamentals of programming—you’ll learn how to solve real-world coding problems using the JavaScript language.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced-beginner
    Prep WorkIncludes a 10-hr prep workshop. Not required, but highly recommended to help students get the most out of class.
  • Bootcamp Prep in a Week

CSS, Express.js, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week1 Week
    LocationNew York City
    Fullstack’s Bootcamp Prep will help prepare you for admissions into our prestigious Grace Hopper Program. This rigorous course will also prepare you for admissions into other highly ranked coding bootcamps. You’ll learn more than just the fundamentals of programming, you’ll learn how to solve real-world coding problems using the JavaScript language.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced-beginner
  • Grace Hopper Program

JavaScript, Node.js, HTML, CSS, Express.js, React.js, SQL, Front End
    LocationNew York City
    The Grace Hopper Program is an immersive coding bootcamp in New York City exclusively for women+-identifying students. To reduce financial barriers for women+ students of all backgrounds, we offer deferred tuition, which means women train now and pay tuition only once they’ve found full-time employment in software engineering. The Grace Hopper Program fosters a supportive and diverse community to make tech more accessible for all.
    Deposit$3,000
    Tuition PlansGrads pay $19,910 in installments over 9 months - deposit is counted toward this amount. Payments begin at the end of a graduate's first month of employment. If no work is found within 12 months of graduating, no tuition is owed.
    Scholarship$1,000 Ada Lovelace Scholarship $1,000 Edie Windsor Scholarship for gender nonconforming individuals & LGBTQ+ women.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced-beginner/Intermediate programming skills
    Prep WorkFour week-long remote Foundations class precedes 13 weeks on-campus
  • Grace Hopper Track

CSS, Express.js, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, React.js, SQL
    LocationChicago
    The Grace Hopper Track is a deferred-tuition option for women within the co-ed Software Engineering Immersive program taught at Fullstack Academy’s Chicago campus. Women at the Fullstack Chicago campus have access to exclusive mentorship and community-building opportunities, and pay tuition only once they've found full-time employment in software engineering. The remaining elements of the Fullstack education—curriculum, instructors, career services—are shared across the entire student body, and are not specific to the Grace Hopper Track at Fullstack Chicago.
    Deposit$3,000
    Tuition PlansGrads pay $17,910 in installments over 9 months - deposit is counted toward this amount. Payments begin at the end of a graduate's first month of employment. If no work is found within 12 months of graduating, no tuition is owed.
    ScholarshipTuition in Chicago includes a built-in $2,000 scholarship to reduce costs from $19,910 to $17,910. Also available: $1,000 Ada Lovelace Scholarship $1,000 Edie Windsor Scholarship for gender nonconforming individuals & LGBTQ+ women
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced-beginner/Intermediate programming skills
    Prep WorkFour week-long remote Foundations class precedes 13 weeks on-campus
  • Would Recommend!
    - 7/3/2021
    Saj King • Graduate
    I had a fantastic experience at Fullstack Academy's Grace Hopper Program, both as a student and later as a teaching fellow. I felt that the curriculum was very well curated to provide the maximum amount of useful and relevant information in the short 17 week timeframe, and the combination of lectures, hands-on coding exercises, and projects worked well for me to retain new concepts even at the rapid pace we progressed at.

I was very fortunate to have excellent instructors as a student. Ben Rodriguez, Noelle Laureano, and Julissa Napoletano did a great job of teaching and answering questions in Junior Phase, and worked hard to make time to work one-on-one with anyone who needed it.

I felt that the Senior Phase projects were very helpful in solidifying everything learned in Junior Phase, as well as teaching very valuable organizational and teamworking skills. The daily algorithm practice and mock-tech interviews were also invaluable in preparing for the job hunt, and I appreciate these practical skills being stressed.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Fullstack to anyone who wants to get into tech, especially to those who can attend the Grace Hopper Program with deferred tuition.
  • Kristen • Software Developer • Graduate
    TLDR: Go for the tech instruction and experience. Be prepared to have a headache with career and financial services.

LOVED the instructors. Had a really fantastic educational experience, and for the most part my cohorts were also great. However, career services and all other aspects of Fullstack Academy leave a lot to be desired. Working with the career team was endlessly frustrating, with myself and others being given contradictory instruction, with little to no clear communication channels. The financial team doesn't get involved until you finish....but they're also incredibly frustrating to work with, and refuse to provide answers, ensure refunds are going to correct accounts (and then refuse to take responsibility for such), and also very rude.
  • Adriana • Graduate
    Joining the Grace Hopper Program at Fullstack Academy was no doubt the best decision I made. I had amazing instructors and classmates who helped a lot in every step. The amount of support was above my expectations.
    - 8/2/2019
    Allison Geismar • Graduate

I am so happy with this program! Yes, it's expensive. But if you're serious about doing a career switch this is worth it. They provided great academic and career support and a great network of people going into the field after graduation. It's tough work, but enjoyable and I really found my passion in coding and web development.

• Sara • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate

The Grace Hopper Program at Fullstack Academy changed my life. One month after I finished bootcamp, I found my dream job as a Full Stack Software Engineer. Corey and Geoff were the best instructors I could've asked for -- they made the rigorous curriculum fun and interesting, and were always happy to answer questions. Natalie in Career Services was incredibly helpful during the stressful time of finding a job post-bootcamp, and I am grateful these folks were there to hold my hand.

I was surprised at how quickly I was able to contribute once on the job, thanks to Grace Hopper/Fullstack! I added to the massive codebase of my company within the first two days of working there, and I am confident that I will be able to solve whatever problem is thrown at me. It is a testament to the strength of the curriculum that we are at the three-month mark since we graduated and most of my cohort has received at least one offer.

Not only did I become a competent software engineer after this program, I also have a strong network of fellow female engineers. I am so glad I chose Grace Hopper!

• Software Engineer
    - 3/21/2019
    Amber Rodriguez • Software Engineer • Graduate

I can't begin to express the mountain of gratitude I have for the Grace Hopper Program at Fullstack Academy. I was supported, coached and mentored by not only some of the best instructors I've ever had in my life, but my classmates as well. I was lucky to be part of a cohort full of women who ceaselessly cheered each other on and kept each other accountable. When one of us struggled, the rest of us were hell-bent on keeping that person afloat and along for the ride. I've met some of the most brilliant, kind and wonderful women that I've ever known in the Grace Hopper program. I am SO lucky to have the network I've forged and the friendships I've made from this program.

The instructors were top-notch, and their boundless enthusiasm for the material was always so infectious. I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that these are the best teachers I've EVER had. They deserve a world of thanks and appreciation for everything that they do.

The Program Lead: being able to mentally and emotionally support us through one of the most trying experiences in our lives is no small feat. She kept us grounded, and reminded us constantly that our mental/emotional well-being was just as important to our success as studying hard. She's to thank for keeping us all sane.

Last, but not least, the Career Services team. I came into the Grace Hopper program with a nervous assumption that my soft skills were nowhere near as valuable as what I could learn in this Immersive. They not only assured me that my soft skills and employment history would be an asset, but they taught me how to best sell myself to employers in light of this experience. They were quick to respond to every question/concern I had, and persistent in their fight to make me a successful, highly marketable Software Engineer.

As other reviewers have mentioned, this is considered an "Immersive" - you will be eating, breathing and sleeping code for the duration of this course. You will get back every ounce of effort that you put into it. Be sure to set this time aside for yourself to devote solely to the program.

• Ms.
    - 1/6/2019
    aleksandra shineleva • Fullstack Engineer • Graduate

If you are looking to change your career, if you are looking to learn new, hard and exciting things, Grace Hopper and Fullstack are for you. If you want to work hard, be confused often, accept failure as a path to success, you will do here. If you want things to be easy, don't actually enjoy the challenge and hate growing pains that come with not knowing things...I would look elsewhere because you will be miserable and resentful.

This program will help you be better, this program will strip you of 'This is how I've always done it' and open your mind to the possibilities and ways of thinking that will make you a better person and a better engineer. There is a strict "No Assholes' policy.

Grace Hopper has a tough admissions process, but if you get past that, you will receive the guidance and support through this incredibly difficult and fast-paced program. You will have support and guidance, but you will have to work hard, stay late, work on weekends and be comfortable with being uncomfortable.

You will dream code. You will not see much of your friends and family, but you will learn an incredible amount in a very short period of time.

• Software Engineer
    - 10/5/2018
    Ashley • Software Engineer • Graduate

When I decided to explore the option to transition my career into software engineering, I was unsure where to begin. I had heard about many bootcamp programs, but upon learning about the Grace Hopper Program and it's mission to empower women to enter a male dominated industry, I knew this was the right program for me. I couldn't have been happier with my decision, the staff and instructors were incredibly knowledgable and the women in my program were driven and intelligent. I learned so much in the short 4 month time period I spent at Grace Hopper and felt confident upon graduation that I would be able to get a great job and be prepared to take on the role. One of my favorite aspects of the Grace Hopper Program was how I learned to adopt new technologies at a rapid pace; as technology is constantly changing and advancing, I felt this skill was one of the most beneficial and real-world applicable. I highly recommend this program to any woman who is considering a career transition into the software development industry.

• Ruth N. • Graduate

** Please note - I have incredibly high standards.  Overall Grace Hopper (GH) / Fullstack Academy (FSA) did an amazing job.  In general, they need to improve their organization skills.  The school is awesome at teaching coding.  They just need to polish the machine so things run like clockwork.

Getting admitted

To be admitted into GH you must:

1. Be female identifying
    2. Complete an online application
    3. Pass an online coding assessment
    4. Code live via a Skype interview

The best part about this process:  GH has teaching fellows (former students) conduct the Skype interview and make the admissions decisions.  Therefore, it’s not a decision made from a moneymaking perspective.  It’s a decision made by former students who want the program to be great for all who attend.

Before applying to the program, I did light coding at my previous job with VBA (Excel).  I did not know JavaScript, so I took the FSA JavaScript JumpStart course and practiced problems on CodeWars and HackerRank.  I was admitted the first time I applied.

The Program

The program consists of 4 phases.  There is a 1-week break between junior and senior phase.

Foundations - Online distance learning course (4 weeks)

• Good to know - There are checkpoints (tests) you must pass before you are admitted to the immersive program.  You are assigned a mentor (GH / FSA alumni) to assist you during this time.
    • My experience - I worked during the first 2 weeks, which was quite difficult.  The last 2 weeks, when I wasn’t working, I had a lot of free time.  I felt like the material presented during this part of the program was appropriate.  You should revisit this material during your job search.
    • Improvement - Let students know ahead of time (during the acceptance phase) about the checkpoints.  A lot of people quit jobs to join this program.

Junior Phase - In person, intense learning through lectures and workshops (6 weeks)

• Good to know - This phase will feel like information overload but you do not need to memorize everything (that would be like memorizing the US Tax code).  It is meant to expose you to various topics so if you need them in the future, you can search for the answers.
    • My experience - I was very overwhelmed during the first week of the program.  Once I realized I didn’t have to memorize everything, this phase ran a lot smoother for me.  Since I’m an independent person, pair programming every day was difficult for me but it helped me see different points of view.  The instructors and teaching fellows were friendly, willing to help, and not afraid to tell us how things really worked (no fake positivity).
    • Improvement - Students may be extremely stressed during the first part of the program.  State up-front (before the first workshop) that the workshops are not meant to be finished.

Senior Phase - In person, intense learning through project building, career services training, and CTO lectures.

• Good to know - There are 4 projects during this phase (Tech Talk, Group eCommerce Site, Personal Project, Final Group Project). I recommend finishing your tech talk during the 1-week break (before senior phase starts).
    • My experience - Because of all the pair programming in junior phase, it was easier for me to work on group projects during this phase.  I had a great time working on my personal project because it gave me a break from pair programming.  I felt like my team built an awesome final project.  There were a few arguments, but we worked through them and made a great app.  Instructors and teaching fellows were available during this phase but I didn’t utilize them very often.  Also, it was really difficult to work on projects and the career services requests.
    • Improvement - Don’t change schedules at the last minute.  This happened quite often during our senior phase.

Flight - On your own job-hunt with support from career services.

• Good to know - The level of career services support is up to you.
    • My experience - I networked with people on LinkedIn, Slack, and at meetups.  I filled out tons of applications on many different websites (LinkedIn, Gary’s Guide, and company sites).  My result was very favorable.  I accepted an offer 1.5 months after graduation.  My offer stemmed from completing an online application.
    • Improvement - Let students know ahead of time (during the acceptance phase) to plan 3 to 6 months for the job search.  A lot of people have to save living expenses to attend this program.
  • Nisreen A. • Graduate

I can honestly say that I would be much more lost in my life right now if I hadn’t found Grace Hopper. In my last year of undergrad I was confused about what I wanted to do professionally. After doing a lot of googling and journaling, I decided that I wanted to become a software engineer, and after yet more googling, I became aware of bootcamps. I came across Grace Hopper and it quickly became the only programming school I was interested in. As someone with a social science background I understood and appreciated the motivations behind the creation of a learning environment for female developers. It spoke a lot to the founders' values and the culture of the school in general. And as someone with limited financial resources, I recognized that their deferred tuition model provided an amazing opportunity that I otherwise wouldn’t be able to participate in.

From day 1 to the end, Grace Hopper was a wonderful and incredibly enriching experience. I was surrounded by smart, talented women from all backgrounds, all willing to work together to learn an exciting new skill set. The curriculum was challenging but well-thought out, and our teaching fellows and instructors were always there to answer any questions we had or to remedy any gaps in our knowledge. What's more, the bootcamp really strives to keep its content relevant. Now when I tell people about my tech stack, I often get comments like ‘wow that’s a great one’ or ‘you’re in a really great place then!’ Or even, from other software engineers with more experience than me, ‘you know Redux already?!’

I strongly feel that the Grace Hopper Program at Fullstack Academy has accelerated my professional and personal life by several years and put me a giant step forward in my career. In a short amount of time I was able to learn a challenging and high-demand skill set that I was really interested in. The culture, environment, and the people were all so supportive and amazing. It stands as the number one transformative experience I’ve had in my life, and I think that it’ll be very difficult to supplant it.

I couldn’t have asked for better teachers, a better learning environment, or better outcomes. Even after going through it once already, I would do Grace Hopper all over again right now if I could :)

• Life Changing
    - 4/14/2017
    Ashley Riccardi • Web Developer • Graduate

I can easily say that attending Grace Hopper was one of the best professional decisions I’ve ever made.

I chose GH specifically because it was focused on creating a welcoming environment for women to become fullstack developers and I am very glad that I did.

My fellow classmates were kind and collaborative, the instructors were supportive and demanding, and the curriculum was rigorous. GH gave me the knowledge I needed to be confident in my own problem solving capabilities and my ability to learn deeply and quickly.

When I think back on my time at Grace Hopper, I think the thing that really sets it apart is the culture. In addition to being collaborative and welcoming, I never felt like I was just another student - the instructors and the staff were there to give each individual the time and care to make sure that we were in the best possible position to to take full advantage of all the program has to offer. This was also evident during the job search after I graduated; someone was always available to answer a question or help me figure out what to say to an employer.

I am amazed and what a turn around my life in general has taken since attending the program - I met wonderful people who I still keep in touch with, I have a great foundation of knowledge for my career, I built some awesome web applications that I am proud of, and I now have an amazing job which I would not have been qualified for otherwise.

Needless to say, I would not be in the position I am now without Grace Hopper and I am eternally thankful. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is looking to take an advantage of a life changing opportunity.
  • Very Worth It
    - 4/12/2017
    Galen Corey • Software Engineer • Graduate

When I began the Grace Hopper program, I was nearing the end of what I could learn on my own and I needed direction. That's exactly what I got. The curriculum was exceedingly relevant - I see many job postings for the exact skills taught there. I am currently using the same ech that I learned at GH in my work as a developer. I learned more than enough to feel confident at my job, even with no previous technical background.

I kept a blog while I was a student and a fellow at the program, which you can read here: https://galencorey.wordpress.com/category/grace-hopper/.