grace-hopper-program-logo

Grace Hopper Program

Chicago, New York City, Online, Online

Grace Hopper Program

The Grace Hopper Program is a 17-week, immersive software engineering program for women with no upfront tuition cost in New York City (13-weeks of the course will be on campus). Named for pioneer computer scientist Grace Murray Hopper, the program is driven by three values: education, opportunity, and mentorship. By employing a deferred tuition model, students only pay tuition once they secure a job after graduation. Grace Hopper aims to lower the barrier to entry and accept qualified candidates who cannot afford the upfront cost of a coding bootcamp. Once graduates land a job, they pay $19,610 tuition in installments over 9 months.

As an affiliate of Fullstack Academy, The Grace Hopper Program teaches the same JavaScript-focused curriculum. Graduates will be fluent in Computer Science fundamentals like algorithms, data structures, and object-oriented programming, React, HTML & CSS, JavaScript frameworks (Express.js, Node.js), SQL, and test-driven development.

Applicants must be women (the team defines "women" as anyone female identifying -- including transgender, genderqueer, and non-binary) who are passionate about coding and have the drive to succeed in an immersive environment. The immersive course is not designed for pure beginners, but if an applicant's technical skills are not advanced enough to pass the coding assessment, then the Grace Hopper team can provide learning resources to prepare you for the interview.

Recent Grace Hopper Program Reviews: Rating 4.91

all (46) reviews for Grace Hopper Program →

Recent Grace Hopper Program News

Read all (42) articles about Grace Hopper Program →
  • Bootcamp Prep in a Month

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationNew York City, Chicago
    Fullstack’s Bootcamp Prep will help prepare you for admissions into our prestigious Grace Hopper Program. This rigorous course will also prepare you for admissions into other highly ranked coding bootcamps. You’ll learn more than just the fundamentals of programming—you’ll learn how to solve real-world coding problems using the JavaScript language.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced-beginner
    Prep WorkIncludes a 10-hr prep workshop. Not required, but highly recommended to help students get the most out of class.
  • Bootcamp Prep in a Week

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, Node.js, Front End
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week1 Week
    LocationNew York City
    Fullstack’s Bootcamp Prep will help prepare you for admissions into our prestigious Grace Hopper Program. This rigorous course will also prepare you for admissions into other highly ranked coding bootcamps. You’ll learn more than just the fundamentals of programming, you’ll learn how to solve real-world coding problems using the JavaScript language.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced-beginner
  • Grace Hopper Program

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End, SQL
    LocationNew York City
    The Grace Hopper Program is an immersive coding bootcamp in New York City exclusively for women+-identifying students. To reduce financial barriers for women+ students of all backgrounds, we offer deferred tuition, which means women train now and pay tuition only once they’ve found full-time employment in software engineering. The Grace Hopper Program fosters a supportive and diverse community to make tech more accessible for all.
    Deposit$3,000
    Tuition PlansGrads pay $19,910 in installments over 9 months - deposit is counted toward this amount. Payments begin at the end of a graduate's first month of employment. If no work is found within 12 months of graduating, no tuition is owed.
    Scholarship$1,000 Ada Lovelace Scholarship $1,000 Edie Windsor Scholarship for gender nonconforming individuals & LGBTQ+ women.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced-beginner/Intermediate programming skills
    Prep WorkFour week-long remote Foundations class precedes 13 weeks on-campus
  • Grace Hopper Track

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End, SQL
    LocationChicago
    The Grace Hopper Track is a deferred-tuition option for women within the co-ed Software Engineering Immersive program taught at Fullstack Academy’s Chicago campus. Women at the Fullstack Chicago campus have access to exclusive mentorship and community-building opportunities, and pay tuition only once they've found full-time employment in software engineering. The remaining elements of the Fullstack education—curriculum, instructors, career services—are shared across the entire student body, and are not specific to the Grace Hopper Track at Fullstack Chicago.
    Deposit$3,000
    Tuition PlansGrads pay $17,910 in installments over 9 months - deposit is counted toward this amount. Payments begin at the end of a graduate's first month of employment. If no work is found within 12 months of graduating, no tuition is owed.
    ScholarshipTuition in Chicago includes a built-in $2,000 scholarship to reduce costs from $19,910 to $17,910. Also available: $1,000 Ada Lovelace Scholarship $1,000 Edie Windsor Scholarship for gender nonconforming individuals & LGBTQ+ women
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced-beginner/Intermediate programming skills
    Prep WorkFour week-long remote Foundations class precedes 13 weeks on-campus
  • Jane Costa  User Photo
    Jane Costa • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I did the Grace Hopper program, which is the same curriculum as Fullstack Academy but has deferred tuition and is for women only. The curriculum is STRONG!!!! Before you get to campus and during your very first week, you will coding and learning very advanced computer science topics. They truly ensure that every student knows their stuff and is prepared for the job search ahead including whiteboarding interviews. I never had a doubt throughout the program that I would have any trouble finding a job because of what and how they were teaching.

One of the great things Fullstack did was make sure from the beginning that students are ready and that everyone is on the same page. Just to get into the bootcamp, you need to know javascript and be able to solve somewhat diffucult problems as well as be familiar with recursion. However, they have a lot of great resources to get you accepted such as the online bootcamp prep course. Foundations covered some pretty advanced topics but they provided a mentor for each student and paced the work over 5 weeks so that everyone could master it and there were some tests along the way to make sure everyone was learning the material. I learned so much before I even got to campus and I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to converse about code and solve quite challenging problems on the very first day.

I realize that talking about the material in light of how advanced it is could scare some people away, but I just want to say that I found the program extremely friendly and not scary at all. They just want to make sure everyone is ready and on the same page, and they provide a lot of resources to get you there. If you ever feel like you are falling behind, they will not kick you out like some bootcamps will. Instead, they will get you the help that you need, and even allow you to repeat the first half of the program (junior phase) if you are struggling. Everything they do is to make sure you succeed.

I also found they focus a good amount on soft skills, which was amazing to see. They make sure students learn to communicate about issues that arise during pair programming before these issues ever arise, they talk about unconscious bias, they have retrospectives to reflect on different parts of the program, make sure students are taking care of themselves emotionally, etc. I found that students are able to give feedback about the program and the feedback is taken seriously and changes are implemented almost immediately as a result of student feedback.

The career success program is very strong as well. They don't just teach you how to code and build projects on this program. A big portion of the second half of the program was focused on getting students hireable. We had regular mandatory meetings with the career success team, practiced interviews (behavioral, technical, and whiteboarding), received feedback on resumes and linkedIn profiles, and so many presentations on job hunting. The career success team really sticks with you throughout the process and after you graduate to make sure you get hired.

Overall, this program was amazing for me. I went to a different bootcamp before this program to turn around my career, felt like I didn't learn enough to be hireable, and I constantly felt anxious and unready to find a job. Grace Hopper/Fullstack Academy was a night and day difference. It eased my worries and I never once doubted that I could find a job in the end. At first I was concerned because Fullstack teaches pure JavaScript instead of mixing in some of the other competing languages, but I truly believe that it served me well. I was able to learn really complex topics in depth and branch out past just web development. I also believe that now I can learn anything. In a nutshell, I learned amazing things, I built amazing projects including web apps, a mobile app and VR app with AI, I made amazing friendships with the women there, I constantly felt uplifted, and I had a job offer 10 days at the end of the program.

• Kait Hoehne  User Photo
    Kait Hoehne • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

When I decided to switch fields and become a software engineer, I knew HTML, CSS and had very little confidence in my own abilities outside of that. Grace Hopper provided a learning environment that was supportive and encouraging while also pushing me outside of my comfort zone with a challenging, rigorous curriculum that prepared me extremely well for a career in software engineering. I left with a strong understanding of foundational CS and JavaScript concepts as well as the ability to dive into new technologies quickly. I also made so many friends and professional connections, building a network that helped anchor me in a new field. All of this meant that I was able to move into a full-time role in a new career with confidence.

• Rachel Arkebauer  User Photo
    Rachel Arkebauer • Devops Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I immensely enjoyed my time at Grace Hopper Academy. Make no mistake, the cirriculum moves quickly and it's a huge time commitment to keep up with the material. Self-study beforehand helped me a lot and the intstructors were always around to clarify and provide additional support. Over the course of the program, my skills as a programmer improved dramatically and I got comfortable at being able to dive into new technologies (after all it's all the same kind of problem solving). I had a few projects that I wanted to code before the program and it was immensely satisfying to be able to bring them to life based on what I learned at Grace Hopper.

Honestly, I found the job search incredibly frustrating and incredibly stressful. However, I think that's part of the nature of landing a developer job in tech and not Fullstack Academy's fault. Networking was crucial for me and it was a network that Grace Hopper helped me form. I was lucky enough to land a role about two months after graduation but if you need remote work or visa sponsorship your job search is likely to be more difficult. My review is for my own experience. It's definitely helpful to have your cohort going through the job search at the same time for support and/or commiseration. Grace Hopper's program gave me skills, confidence, and helped open a lot of doors. If this is what you're looking for, I would highly recomment it!

• Erika Newland  User Photo
    Erika Newland • Engineering Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The best way I can summarize my time at Grace Hopper is that, apart from being a parent, it was the most intense, most rewarding experience I have ever had.  I have a B.S. and an M.S. and found the curriculum very challenging, at times overwhelming, but never beyond my ability to rise to the challenge.  The curriculum is very well designed and clearly very carefullly and intentionally constructed, and individuals at every level of the organization frequently request and act on feedback.  The staff and instructors are warm and supportive while demanding excellence, and the overall culture is one of championing your fellow classmates.

I loved my experience at GH and would have highly recommended it to anyone before I knew my outcome.  I am even more thrilled to recommend it after landing a 6 figure salary within one week of graduating!

• Mieka Page  User Photo
    Mieka Page • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    The instructors are brilliant and approachable. I'd recommend Fullstack on their strength alone. The curriculum was fast paced and extensive and entirely applicable to the current environment. Also, Fullstack enrolls fantastic students -- I loved my cohort. Finally, I got my job directly from the Hiring Day event that the bootcamp hosts at the end of the program -- Fullstack is responsible for me achieving exactly what I intended when I applied.
  • Rachel  User Photo
    Rachel • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The instructors, staff and students at Grace Hopper create a wonderfully supportive, encouraging, positive environment, which is crucial because there's no doubt it's an intense experience. Learning so much information in such a short amount of time can be mentally exhausting, but Fullstack/Grace Hopper has an established system that works, and the terrific atmosphere makes it much easier to get through those days when you're tired and feeling a bit overwhelmed. If you're struggling with a concept, there are many opportunities for one-on-one office hours with fellows (recent GH grads who serve as teaching assistants) and instructors, and everyone is patient and accessible - and committed to ensuring you're comfortable asking questions and seeking out help.

The job search services are strong as well, though it's good to know going in what they are and what they aren't. The program will supply you with the tools and support to be effective, but you will mostly be conducting the job search yourself as far as finding openings for which to apply. Fullstack/Grace Hopper hosts a "Hiring Day" where students interview with potential employers, but typically only a small percentage of each cohort gets a job through that. The Career Success staff will also occasionally send out listings they've received; most likely, though, the job you get will come through your own networking or perusing of online listings. But you'll be well-positioned to do that because of the general instruction and individualized advice they provide on everything from how to structure a tech resume to how to negotiate for a higher salary.

• Danielle YS  User Photo
    Danielle YS • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the Grace Hopper (GH) Program as a student, then became a teaching fellow for Remote Cohort #1, and still teach an occasional preparatory class when demand is high. Needless to say, GH has got me hooked!

If you want to learn to code, GH knows how to get the job done and are constantly iterating on it to up the success of future cohorts. In a field where the "next big thing" changes pretty much every week, keeping up with the technology is hard to do as an individual, let alone an entire school! GH is committed to making sure its students learn the most widespread and promising technologies: as a student, I watched instructors learning React just in time to teach it to incoming students when we switched from Angular, and then I did the same as a teaching fellow 6 weeks later.

The instructors are all top-notch, and they each have their own quirky teaching styles, which makes coming to class all day, every day fun and exciting. There's always coffee and cereal to fight off the afternoon coding lull or feed the I-just-rolled-out-of-bedders.

The career success team is out of this world and go above and beyond their job descriptions to help grads get exceptional jobs all over the country. They have placed GH grads at companies as bootcamp grad #1 (myself included!) and built up some pretty sweet networks along the way. Seriously, they're committed to getting you a job after graduation and have often given me advice and action plans way outside of work hours. I just finished my first month at my new job and I think GH did an EXTREMELY good job of preparing me for the professional software engineering world. I feel more comfortable with the daily engineering practices, startup life, and quick turnover of technologies than many of my peers -- who have traditional CS backgrounds.

The *immersive* part of the curriculum is no joke, but I never could have learned so much, built such strong lifelong friendships, or appreciated the sunshine so wholeheartedly in any other program! GH is certainly one of a kind, and I chose to attend because of stellar reviews like these!

#trusttheprocess

• Awesome Program
    - 9/14/2017
    Allison A  User Photo
    Allison A • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Grace Hopper was the perfect workforce reentry program for me.  I started my career as a software engineer, but after taking time off to raise my children, I realized that I needed to update my skill set.  Not only did I learn Full Stack JavaScript, but I had three projects to showcase on my resume.  Without Grace Hopper, I do not believe I would have reentered the workforce with the awesome job that I have now.

• Fantastic Program
    - 3/21/2017
    Kat G.  User Photo
    Kat G. • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Every woman coder should have the opportunity to go through a program as intense, supportive, and transformative as this one. It has all the benefits of going through a great bootcamp on top of giving you the chance to learn a crazy amount of new information in an environment where you don't *also* have to battle the sexism that will inevitably greet you in the working world. The teachers are wonderful: intelligent, kind, understanding, as well as great at their jobs. The curriculum is great: NERDS stack, interview prep, a recorded tech talk, and three portfolio projects. The culture is amazing: group retrospectives, game nights, beer on Fridays to celebrate a job well-done. The career support is amazing -- and often more active about getting your career going than you are! I'm so happy I chose to come to the Grace Hopper Program at Fullstack Academy, it's changed my life for the better.

- 8/2/2019
    Allison Geismar • Graduate

I am so happy with this program! Yes, it's expensive. But if you're serious about doing a career switch this is worth it. They provided great academic and career support and a great network of people going into the field after graduation. It's tough work, but enjoyable and I really found my passion in coding and web development.

• Sara • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate

The Grace Hopper Program at Fullstack Academy changed my life. One month after I finished bootcamp, I found my dream job as a Full Stack Software Engineer. Corey and Geoff were the best instructors I could've asked for -- they made the rigorous curriculum fun and interesting, and were always happy to answer questions. Natalie in Career Services was incredibly helpful during the stressful time of finding a job post-bootcamp, and I am grateful these folks were there to hold my hand.

I was surprised at how quickly I was able to contribute once on the job, thanks to Grace Hopper/Fullstack! I added to the massive codebase of my company within the first two days of working there, and I am confident that I will be able to solve whatever problem is thrown at me. It is a testament to the strength of the curriculum that we are at the three-month mark since we graduated and most of my cohort has received at least one offer.

Not only did I become a competent software engineer after this program, I also have a strong network of fellow female engineers. I am so glad I chose Grace Hopper!

• Software Engineer
    - 3/21/2019
    Amber Rodriguez • Software Engineer • Graduate

I can't begin to express the mountain of gratitude I have for the Grace Hopper Program at Fullstack Academy. I was supported, coached and mentored by not only some of the best instructors I've ever had in my life, but my classmates as well. I was lucky to be part of a cohort full of women who ceaselessly cheered each other on and kept each other accountable. When one of us struggled, the rest of us were hell-bent on keeping that person afloat and along for the ride. I've met some of the most brilliant, kind and wonderful women that I've ever known in the Grace Hopper program. I am SO lucky to have the network I've forged and the friendships I've made from this program.

The instructors were top-notch, and their boundless enthusiasm for the material was always so infectious. I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that these are the best teachers I've EVER had. They deserve a world of thanks and appreciation for everything that they do.

The Program Lead: being able to mentally and emotionally support us through one of the most trying experiences in our lives is no small feat. She kept us grounded, and reminded us constantly that our mental/emotional well-being was just as important to our success as studying hard. She's to thank for keeping us all sane.

Last, but not least, the Career Services team. I came into the Grace Hopper program with a nervous assumption that my soft skills were nowhere near as valuable as what I could learn in this Immersive. They not only assured me that my soft skills and employment history would be an asset, but they taught me how to best sell myself to employers in light of this experience. They were quick to respond to every question/concern I had, and persistent in their fight to make me a successful, highly marketable Software Engineer.

As other reviewers have mentioned, this is considered an "Immersive" - you will be eating, breathing and sleeping code for the duration of this course. You will get back every ounce of effort that you put into it. Be sure to set this time aside for yourself to devote solely to the program.