epicodus-logo

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js
    May 28, 2019
    Seattle, Portland
    $100
    Yes, available through Climb Credit and Skills Fund.
    May 28, 2019 - Seattle
    August 5, 2019 - Seattle
    August 5, 2019 - Portland
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time Evening)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    August 5, 2019
    Online, Seattle, Portland
    None
    August 5, 2019 - Seattle
    August 5, 2019 - Portland
    August 5, 2019 - Online
  • Ruby and React

HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Ruby, REST
    May 28, 2019
    Portland
    Yes, available through Climb Credit and Skills Fund.
    May 28, 2019 - Portland

Alex • Graduate
Response From: Michael Kaiser-Nyman of Epicodus
Title: President
Thursday, Jul 21 2016

Thanks for the review! We've made some big improvements to the Ember.js curriculum in 2016 :)

Life Changing
Benjamin • Associate Front-End Developer • Graduate

Our latest on Epicodus

• Why CD Baby Hires Developers (and interns!) from Epicodus

Liz Eggleston5/13/2019

CD Baby is one of the largest music distribution companies for independent artists. As they’ve built out their technical team to support the 21st-century music industry with digital and streaming services, CD Baby has hired several bootcamp graduates from Epicodus. We spoke with VP of People, Gretchen Boster, about how their new hires are performing on the job, why they participate in Epicodus’ internship program which facilitates internships for all Epicodus students, and her advice for other employers considering hiring new developers from a coding bootcamp.

What is CD Baby and how large is the technical team these days?

Over the past 21 years, CD Baby has evolved to become one of the largest independent music distribution companies in the world. We help independent artists get their music out there and share it with the world, helping them both make money and accomplish their dreams. It’s a fun company to work for – we’re fortunate to be in the music industry which is always interesting and evolving. We have a really positive work environment, our employees really like the CD Baby culture. We have about 150 employees and are continuing to grow in our technology division. As the music industry landscape has evolved into more digital and streaming services, we’ve continued to grow our technical team to be a competitive resource for our artists. We now have around 35-40 technical team members.

Which roles have you hired Epicodus graduates for at CD Baby?

We’ve hired a few different Epicodus alumni primarily on our web development team, specifically .NET developers. One of them was actually recently promoted. We’ve also hired a hybrid UI Designer/UX Analyst on our product development team.

What stood out about the Epicodus grads you chose to hire?

Some of their value comes from having had other careers – they’ve demonstrated professional experience in a different field and then pursued the bootcamp because they were really passionate about it. They have a balance of previous workplace experience with the very recent knowledge and skill sets they acquired at Epicodus. New college grads definitely bring talent to the table, but there’s a level of maturity and experience and culture fit from the bootcamp students – that’s been a nice benefit.

Did you have to convince anyone at CD Baby to hire someone from a less traditional background?

Not at all. The leaders on our technical team and I attend the Epicodus Demo Days, meet with the students, see the projects they’re working on during the program, and get them to speak about what they’re passionate about and are interested in. So we’ve had the opportunity to interact and build a network with their students prior to them joining CD Baby, which has been a really valuable experience. Epicodus seems to be very strong at building relationships between their students, alumni, and local businesses. And recently, we’ve started partnering with Epicodus in their Internship program.

Tell us about that internship partnership with Epicodus – how does it work?

Epicodus involves the prospective employers and companies in the program itself, whether that’s relationship building and being part of Demo Days to the internship program. That’s what makes them valuable.

We just had our first two Epicodus interns over the past few weeks – it’s been a new experience but it’s already been a success. They’ve been able to work on a couple of projects with CD Baby and gain some of that real-life work experience.

Epicodus interns are hired as temporary employees because we want them to have the employment experience as well as the internship. They come to the office every day, work on our systems, train with our team, and learn about our services – it’s fairly intensive. They’re doing about 40 hours a week to get that real-world employment experience in addition to the internship and project they’re working on. And of course, we pay them! It’s valuable for both sides.

What types of projects are interns working on?

They are mainly building integration tools for our application.

Do the interns have opportunity to be hired at CD Baby?

At this point we don’t have positions available that match their skillsets, but there are definitely opportunities for that in the future and we plan to continue hiring from Epicodus. We’re focused on building that relationship with the school and the students so that when opportunities open up, we have a pool of candidates that have been sourced through Epicodus.

As an employer, what’s the difference between hiring from a bootcamp versus other traditional channels?

It’s always nice to have a balanced pool of candidates from different backgrounds. Epicodus has been valuable because its program is so immersive and intense – we’re impressed that graduates are able to successfully complete the program. They all seem eager to dig in and get into our system. They have a strong work ethic – perhaps as a result of going through the bootcamp! This is not to say that those who go through a traditional CS degree program aren’t committed, but traditional programs tend to be a bit more broad and they might not have learned some of the in-depth knowledge or skill demonstration that bootcamp grads receive.

Also, Epicodus doesn’t charge us referral/hiring fees fees, and if you look at that in comparison to a recruiting agency that charges 25-30% of the salary as a recruitment fee – it’s not even comparable.

Are your new hires from Epicodus prepared for the role or did they need to learn a lot on the job?

It’s definitely our responsibility to make sure we’re hiring the right person for the right role and we have a thorough hiring process to ensure that.  We’ve had a great experience with the Epicodus developers bringing coding skills like .NET, C#, React, and JavaScript. There is, of course, more on-the-job training since they’re not going to know all of our CD Baby systems and processes on day one, so we do take the time to train them on those.

How do you ensure that new hires are supported in their first job after a bootcamp?

Current interns have been paired up with one of our Epicodus graduate team members – he’s already been promoted to a lead position within the first year of working. It’s cool for him to grow in his own development by taking on interns and growing his mentorship leadership skills as well as providing them the supporting tools and resources. That’s what’s great about this internship program – we currently have employees who have been through Epicodus and can relate to what the students are going through and can support them along the way.

Do you have advice for other employers who are thinking of hiring bootcamp grads?

My advice is to take the time to build a relationship with the school. Epicodus has proven to be a valuable resource for training these students and giving them real world experience. If you’re going to offer internships to bootcamp graduates, remember that you’ll need to invest time – they need a mentor and they need to get trained on certain aspects of your business. Likewise, attending Demo Days takes an afternoon out of your week but they’re worth it and are offered free of charge for you to build relationships with the school, the students, and the alumni. To me, and for our experience here at CD Baby, the time that it takes for that investment far outweighs the 30% recruiter fee and candidate unpredictability.

I definitely think it’s been mutually beneficial for both of our companies as well as for the students! Epicodus is really focused on setting their students up for success, rather than throwing students into a really intense program and not giving them the resources and tools after graduation.

Read more Epicodus reviews on Course Report. Check out the Epicodus website!​

• January 2019 Coding Bootcamp Podcast

Imogen Crispe1/31/2019

In January 2019, the top news in the tech bootcamp industry was all about Income Sharing Agreements and university coding bootcamps – it was a flurry of fascinating news! We start with a potential policy change being discussed in congress, talk through a $30 million fundraise, and summarize articles about ISAs from the New York Times, Fortune, Vice, and TechCrunch. Plus, we will tell you about some student success stories, and the 11 new bootcamps we added to the Course Report directory in January!

Continue Reading →
  • New Year, New Career? Learning to Code in 2019!

Imogen Crispe1/2/2019

Is learning to code on your 2019 New Year’s Resolutions List? It should be! The average coding bootcamp graduate gets a job in tech and sees a 49% salary lift. A coding bootcamp could be just what you need to make a fresh start in 2019 as a developer, so we’ve compiled a list of 18 full-time, part-time, in-person and online coding bootcamps which have upcoming cohorts starting in January and February 2019. Most of these coding courses have approaching application deadlines, so submit yours quickly if you want to get a head start in 2019!

• Review Sweepstakes Winner: Byron from Epicodus

Liz Eggleston12/7/2018

Over 900 tech bootcamp graduates entered our sweepstakes competition to win a $500 Amazon Giftcard just by leaving a Verified review for their school on Course Report. This time, our lucky winner was Byron Chang from Epicodus! We caught up with Byron to find out what he's up to today.

• From High School to Web Development with Epicodus

Lauren Stewart10/29/2018

Before Epicodus, Aundra was a recent high school graduate with a few odd jobs under her belt. After tutoring and producing content for websites, she wanted to learn the programming languages that powered them, so Aundra set her sights on software development. See why Epicodus was the best choice for Aundra, how she spun her first internship into a full-time job, and how her career has blossomed over the past three years! Plus, Aundra shares the advice her dad gave her before her first day at Epicodus – it’s perfect for anyone starting a coding bootcamp.

Q&A

Aundra, what is your pre-bootcamp story? What were you up to before Epicodus?

My story is probably a little bit different – when I graduated from high school in 2014, I didn't know what I wanted to do. I didn't have the funds to go to college and it wasn’t worthwhile to get a loan for college if I didn't know what career field I wanted to go into.

I spent a couple years doing some odd jobs – tutoring math at a local school and doing content development with Fannit.com. I was writing for Fannit and tutoring around the time that my interest in programming and web development was really piqued.

Did you have any experience with technology or web development before Epicodus?

In high school, I worked on a website for my speech and debate league. I saw how that website created an opportunity for them to welcome new students to the club and simplify their processes. I was really drawn to that mission of how tech could improve people's lives.

Once I decided that I wanted to do programming as a career, I looked at ways to get started. I started off thinking, "A college degree would probably be the best way,” but as I looked at the college degrees that were available, they were all too broad for the work that I wanted to do. They covered studies and courses that weren't really related to web development. I then looked for online schools and schools in my area, but nothing seemed like a good fit. There was certificate program that had potential, but it was going to take me two years to complete. That's when I started considering bootcamps.

How did you decide on Epicodus? Tell us about your research process.

The combination of Epicodus being in Portland (not far from my home) and the tuition being affordable made me choose Epicodus. I also wanted to learn onsite as opposed to working remotely. It offered the opportunity to have hands-on experience every day in a classroom where I was required to be, and other students would be there with me. Plus, Epicodus offered an internship. All those elements combined made Epicodus stand out to me out of all the other competitors.

Today, the first five weeks of Epicodus is actually free; that wasn’t the case when I attended Epicodus – January through June 2016 – but their tuition rates were certainly lower than other competing schools. That element did factor into my decision.

How did you find the application and interview process at Epicodus? Was it difficult to get in?

I had a phone interview, but Epicodus doesn’t require any prior knowledge. They have an intro to programming course and so they almost assumed that you probably wouldn't know anything when you got started. I had done some self-teaching before I applied – I had a Treehouse account and I used Google searches and YouTube videos.

Once you started at Epicodus, was it a diverse learning experience in terms of gender, race, age?

Yeah, it was definitely diverse. Epicodus has done an excellent job of being very clear that the whole school welcomes people of all shapes and sizes. Whoever you might be, you are welcome at Epicodus and we're going to work together.

There were about 30 people in my cohort. There was a lot of great collaboration and we worked really well together. It was about 50% women, and 50% men – I was really delighted by that.

How was the Epicodus learning experience? Walk us through a typical day?

Monday through Thursday, all had pretty much the same structure. You had to be in by 8am. At 8:15am, you would be marked as tardy. Attendance was enforced, but very appropriately because at Epicodus there's this mindset of you get out what you put in. If you were there by 8am, you would meet your cohort and the teacher for class to get a summary of what's going on in the day.

Then you would pair up with somebody for pair programming for that day, and you would start right into the curriculum for the day. And it would be anything from watching training videos together or working on a project together or doing some research. There was a wide variety of tasks and projects for a given day. But then on Fridays, you were assigned a solo project, which is basically your code review for the week. It was a way for students to have time by themselves. There was the one day in the week where you did not pair program that was meant to be solo work. And it was an opportunity for you to test your skills and for the teachers to see what you were absorbing, and your strengths and weaknesses.

Fridays ended up being one of my favorite days. I really enjoyed pair programming and learning alongside other people. But having that day to sit down and focus and work on my own solo project was a really delightful experience. I appreciated how they split up the time like that.

Did the Epicodus teaching style match your learning style?

I felt like the teaching style did work for me – you don't get help from a teacher unless you ask for it. You are responsible to dive in and ask questions, work on things, explore, research your own questions, and try and find answers. And if you get stuck – which happens – the teachers are there to help you.

Epicodus did a really good job of preparing me for what real-world work was going to be like. You run into a problem, you're responsible to do everything you can to figure it out, and then you pull in a coworker to give you a hand if you get stuck. In that sense, the curriculum gave me just enough to move forward and learn and grow, without holding my hand too much and making me feel lost as soon as I hit the real world.

Do you have any advice for getting the most out of a coding bootcamp?

My dad is also a software engineer and he shared three big tips with me prior to me starting school.

1. Relax, breathe, and just give yourself space to learn without the expectation of performance.
    2. Work hard and put your back into it. Don't be afraid to fail. Things aren’t going to go perfectly, but put in the effort and you'll get it right. You'll learn from those failures as well.
    3. Be consistent. When you start a programming bootcamp, it's a great learning experience. They will give you lots of tools, but that bootcamp will eventually end and from that point on in your career, the progress you make is up to you.

Tell us about your final project that you built at Epicodus!

For our final project, I worked in a group of four to build a sports website. The goal was to provide a website for people who want to play pickup sports/spontaneous games in a city or a neighborhood. You can list your own sports event and invite people saying, "Hey, we're playing pickup at this park at this time, come if you're interested."

How did Epicodus prepare you for the job search? Do you have any advice for other bootcampers who are going through the job search?

Epicodus did quite a bit to help me prepare for my job search, and not just from a technology standpoint. At the time, I was 19 years old and for both jobs that I'd held previously, the employers reached out to me. So the whole process of writing a resume and including keywords (especially technical keywords) was a new experience and a challenge for me. I appreciated that Epicodus created an opportunity for me to have interviews where I got to meet with people and practice those skills.

Epicodus took the time to help me prepare my resume, taught me how to write a cover letter, and they reviewed my LinkedIn and GitHub profiles, and supported me with a lot of good feedback. As a young lady, I tended to second-guess myself quite a bit and be more on the timid, shy side. So some of the best feedback I got was to enter my interviews with a level of confidence and to be confident in what I know, and in my ability to figure it out. That mindset made the difference for me in my interview with my first company, Zeppidy.

Tell us more about that first job at Zeppidy – how did the interview go and what did you work on there?

At the end of your training, Epicodus offers an internship program. We got to interview with potential internships and practice our interview skills through that process. I was placed in a 5-week internship at Zeppidy with three other members of my cohort. And when that internship ended, Zeppidy hired me on full-time as a Junior Web Developer.

Zeppidy was an online platform that provided a streamlined home buying and selling process for agents and DIY sellers. In the interview, I really didn't know as many of the answers as they would have liked, but I took my best guess at all of them. And that's what stood out to the CEO who was in the interviews. Even though I didn't know the answer, I gave it my best shot and I acknowledged where I didn't know stuff, and how I would have gone about exploring and getting more information.

How was the transition from a coding bootcamp into the “real world?” Were you prepared for your first job?

It was very exciting. It was challenging to have gone from an environment at Epicodus where you're surrounded by peers and people working on the same project as you 24/7, to an environment where I was the only junior developer working in JavaScript, and a new library for me called Polymer.

I felt like Epicodus had given me enough training to be able to grow from there. Also, there was a senior developer that worked in the same office I did, and so I got a lot of support, advice, and instruction from him as well.

You’ve since moved onto a second job at Learning.com – why (and how) did you make the change?

My transition out of Zeppidy was a bit unexpected – Zeppidy went under in March of 2017. I went directly from working on a Tuesday to job hunting on a Wednesday. But at that point, I felt like I had a lot of skills and experience. It was a very unique and wonderful opportunity to grow, and it put my foot in the door to other opportunities in this industry. That’s what gave me the experience I needed to find the opportunity at Learning.com. I also reached out to Audrey from Epicodus, who is in charge of alumni job support. She gave me a few contacts to broaden my field and search.

I transitioned to Learning.com as Web Application Developer and have worked there for about 1.5 years. Currently, our development team is hard at work building a catalog of our k-8 curriculum so teachers and district administrators can have a better understanding of the valuable resources we offer schools and students in regard to digital literacy.

Now that you've been a developer for over two years, how do you feel your skills have grown as a developer?

I've grown more than I can imagine, but my skill growth falls into two separate categories. There's hard skills and soft skills. And over the two and a half years, I felt like Epicodus really gave me the jumpstart in both areas. I learned how to learn new programming languages, frameworks, libraries and tools, and how to think like a programmer.

Epicodus also created an environment where I was challenged and it really tested my growth with soft skills like communication, collaboration, and strategizing my architecture and all the other skills that fed right into a real-life work experience.

What has been your biggest challenge or roadblock in this journey to change your career and become a software developer?

I’ve seen two challenges. On the one hand, I can have a serious case of imposter syndrome – I feel like I don't know anything, I'm not good at my job, and I'm a terrible programmer. You underestimate yourself and you get caught up in your shortcomings, as opposed to recognizing your strengths, powering through, learning and overcoming those weaknesses.

On the other hand, there’s the pitfall of the “expert beginner,” where you forget how much more there is to know. You get so comfortable in the basics that you don't continue to push yourself in the knowledge and explore the opportunities to continue learning and growing. The biggest challenge for me is keeping myself between those two pitfalls — continuing to push myself and grow without doubting myself and criticizing myself along the way.

Would you have been able to get to where you are today without Epicodus? Could you have just taught yourself?

Without Epicodus, I would not be where I am today. Epicodus offered exposure to a lot of different types of programming and code, and a lot of different styles/languages that would have been hard to find on my own. It's easy to go too thin in your knowledge of the language and maybe a little too deep into the nitty gritty of the language, but Epicodus gave you just enough to equip yourself with the skills you would need going into a real work situation.

I also really appreciated the network that Epicodus offered. I worked with people from 8am to 5pm every day, collaborating with them, meeting new people. It created a network of people so that when I graduated, I still had people I could talk to and brainstorm with and share experiences with. I don't think I would have gotten that if I had been teaching myself or learning remotely. Our whole cohort is still part of a Facebook group and we will drop job opportunities in there, check-in, and ask questions about tools or tech. I've also met up with a few of my other alumni friends and gone to lunch. And I’ve gone back to the school to see the teachers. They were great – I really miss them.

Ultimately, the Epicodus training was all great. The internship at the end was my opportunity to actually apply my skills with the support of Epicodus, which ultimately created an opportunity for me to really get into the tech industry and do what I love.

What advice do you have for future coding bootcampers who are still on the fence about making a career change?

You get out of the program what you put into the program. Epicodus has a lot of great tools and resources, but it's going to take work and effort. And that's almost the most rewarding part.

When I was hired at Zeppidy, the biggest thing they looked for was programming history, GitHub, and what projects I’d been working on. They wanted to see that even after I graduated Epicodus, I was continuing to learn and push myself, discover, and innovate. Even after the bootcamp is over, there's a whole world to be discovered. So don't stop. Don't get comfortable. Keep pushing yourself and stay steady in your efforts to learn and grow.

Read more Epicodus reviews on Course Report. Check out the Epicodus website!

About The Author

Lauren is a communications and operations strategist who loves to help others find their idea of success. She is passionate about techonology education, career development, startups, and the arts. Her background includes career/youth development, public affairs, and philanthropy. She is from Richmond, VA and now currently resides in Los Angeles, CA.

• How to Get Work Experience Before You Graduate from Coding Bootcamp

Imogen Crispe3/23/2017

tips-to-get-work-experience-before-graduating-coding-bootcamp

How do you get a job after coding bootcamp if you have no relevant, real-world work experience? Only 1.4% of bootcampers have worked as developers in the past, but most career-changers have little – if any– client experience when they start looking for a developer job. Some bootcamps help students overcome this hurdle by offering opportunities to work for the bootcamp itself, or with real clients through projects, internships, and apprenticeships. These opportunities can give students substantial experience to add to their portfolios and resumes, and kickstart the job hunt.

• August 2016 Coding Bootcamp News Roundup + Podcast

Imogen Crispe8/31/2016

Welcome to the August 2016 Course Report monthly coding bootcamp news roundup! Each month, we look at all the happenings from the coding bootcamp world from new bootcamps to big fundraising announcements, to interesting trends. This month the biggest news is the Department of Education's EQUIP pilot program to provide federal financial aid to some bootcamp students. Other trends include job placement outcomes, the gender imbalance in tech, acquisitions and investments, and paying for bootcamp. Read below or listen to our latest Coding Bootcamp News Roundup Podcast!

• How to Choose the Best University Coding Bootcamp

Liz Eggleston4/12/2019

You've heard of household bootcamps like Hack Reactor, General Assembly, and Flatiron School – but have you noticed universities that offer coding bootcamps? Universities have now been partnering with coding bootcamps since 2016, but these university coding bootcamps aren't all the same! Research your options below and find out which coding bootcamps offer college credit, which are part-time to accommodate your schedule, and read our tips for choosing the best university coding bootcamp for you.

These are partnerships where a coding bootcamp either offers classes on the university campus, taught by the bootcamp’s own professors, or students can study at the coding bootcamp campus but get college credit. Some of these partnerships also allow students to use the GI Bill to pay for coding bootcamp tuition.

• Learn Android At These 9 Developer Bootcamps

Harry Hantel3/23/2015

android-mobile-smartphone-with-map-world-image

Google’s Android OS is the most used mobile operating system in the world, and the little green robot has been winning hearts and minds for years now thanks to its high customizability and flexible open source developing options. Android programmers work in the Android Studio and develop Android apps using SDK manager, earing up to $155,000 per year. It’s no surprise that you would want to learn how to develop for Android – do your research with Course Report’s list of top Android bootcamp and developer classes.