eleven-fifty-academy-logo

Eleven Fifty Academy

Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indianapolis

Eleven Fifty Academy

Eleven Fifty Academy is a non-profit coding school in Fishers, Indiana offering a range of courses from 2 days to 12 weeks. Focused on helping aspiring developers launch, change, or enhance their careers, Eleven Fifty Academy offers accelerated learning programs in an immersive environment. Courses are designed to give students the practical skills they need to discover and develop their coding abilities. Course subject matter ranges from Java, JavaScript, Microsoft .NET to Python, Android, and Agile Development; with 12-week courses focused on .NET, JavaScript, and Java. Eleven Fifty Academy provides opportunities a hands-on, project-centric teaching approach for students to grow their soft skills as well as their coding skills through tech, friendly, entrepreneurial-minded classroom instruction. Courses are currently taught at the start-up incubator Launch Fishers and the bootcamp accepts GI Bill funds for their JavaScript, .Net, iOS, and Android bootcamps.

Recent Eleven Fifty Academy Reviews: Rating 4.71

all (49) reviews for Eleven Fifty Academy →

Recent Eleven Fifty Academy News

Read all (21) articles about Eleven Fifty Academy →
  • Java 12-Week Bootcamp

HTML, CSS, Java
    LocationIndianapolis
    Our Java course starts with the foundations. Trained and experienced instructors will help you gain the understanding and basics of the Java language. From there, you’ll completely immerse yourself in Java. You’ll cover the ins and outs of the most in-demand programming languages. When you’ve finished the course, you’ll be ready to begin your career as a Java coder.
    Lending partners include SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans1 & 3 Pay Program
    ScholarshipApply to be evaluated for programs.
  • JavaScript 12-Week Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationIndianapolis
    Our JavaScript Course is focused on turning noncoders into well-rounded, versatile coders. From day one, we’ll be working with you to get you prepared for an entry-level coding job. You’ll get hands-on experience and develop the soft skills that you need to land your dream job. Our instructors won’t lecture you from a book or expect you to watch hours of tutorial videos. Instead, they’ll walk you through the JavaScript fundamentals, help you expand your coding knowledge, and give you the tools you need to become a JavaScript professional.
    Lending partners include SkillsFund and Climb Credit

ScholarshipApply to qualify
    Minimum Skill LevelUnderstanding of basic computer science concepts such as loops, functions, and arrays is preferred. Knowledge of JavaScript may also be helpful but is not required.
  • Microsoft .NET 12-Week Bootcamp

Git, C#, .NET
    LocationIndianapolis
    During our Microsoft .NET program, you’ll immerse yourself in the coding experience. From day one, you’ll be getting the hands-on coding experiences you need for a successful coding career. Through this comprehensive coding experience, you’ll master the fundamentals, develop your skills, and learn some of the most in-demand technologies and software. All of this culminates in you being a well-rounded coder with the hard skills needed to start a career and the soft skills to make you a versatile employee.
    Lending partners include SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    ScholarshipApply to qualify

• Exceptional program
    - 10/31/2016
    Evan Reller • Graduate

Eleven Fifty Academy (EFA) offers a great immersive nine-week learning program that also included an additional 12 week apprenticeship designed to help get you in the field. The instructors are fantastic and I would count them among the best I've ever had in my life.

The level of support and attention that Eleven Fifty offers is second to none. They are tied to your success reputationally and financially, which means they are actually invested in your employment. Traditional education (college) is great, but they don't care whether or not you get a job in the field. EFA is completely geared to getting you started in a coding job quickly.

The staff from top to bottom is great and I cannot recommend this program enough.

Dear reviewer,

Can't thank you enough for making the investment in yourself and our small part in it.

We are committed to completion with a purpose of self-actualization. (aka A Job)
  • Ehh....
    - 3/2/2016

I was disappointed by my experience.  I would have given 5 stars if the instructor had been better.  I would have even taken more classes.

Con: The instructor was far too inexperienced to be teaching.  He didn’t know how to explain or answer questions.  He expected us to catch on right away without any explanations.  Any wrong answer would result in eye rolling or mocking.  It was clear that they needed someone with more experience teaching.

Pro: The environment and vibe is really fun.  They try to make sure you feel welcomed and try to encourage a sense of community.

Dear Reviewer,

Could you share which course you took? Did you put these comments into your exit survey?

We're always looking to improve the experience and the instruction.

You can reach me directly at jqualls@elevenfifty.org

We've come a long way and we'd love to have you again.

I took the Intro to Coding course during a weekend and I loved it. The instructor was great; I had no coding experience prior to taking this course. Our instructor was helpful and so patient with everyone. The environment was amazing; everyone in the class helped each other as we worked through the problems and all of our needs were taken care of. The staff were friendly and made sure everyone was happy. The course was challenging but great because I was able to be exposed to what coding really is. I hope to take the next course in the near future to continue learning about writing code. I would suggest this course to anyone because anyone can learn how to code!

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for taking the time to write this note. We believe the student experience is just as important as the technical learning.
  • Shirley F Grigsby • Graduate

Eleven Fifty is an excellent school for those wanting to learn about coding for either recreation or professional needs.  I had zero experience in Coding, but after taking the Intro course, I felt confident to pursue Coding as a potential career.  The facility is amazing, the hospitality of staff is awesome and the instructors are exceptional. The instructor created a climate of openess and that no question was a stupid question.  I would reccommend Eleven Fifty to anyone looking to learn Coding.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind words.

We don't just want to teach you coding skills. We want you to be a craftsman that takes full advantage of the opportunity to be a software professional. The experience we deliver and ultimately your sucess is the outcome we seek.

Look forward to seeing you in more classes!
  • Jeff Hooton • Android Apprentice • Graduate

This bootcamp has been extremely helpful in my career change. The instructor was incredibly knowledgeable and patient with the students. The facilities were incredible and all of our needs were taken care of, allowing us to concentrate fully on learning.

Immediately after completing my course I was allowed to apply for an apprenticeship with the consulting firm and promptly received an offer. This has been the best learning experience I have ever had and has definitely prepared me for a career change into the software engineering field.

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your kind words. It's clear you took the bull by the horns and made the effort to earn you way into a career.

We're humbled to have been a part of it.

Hope to hear more about your success and love to see you volunteer and keep involved in the ecosystem.
  • Michael McKinley • iOS Develoepr • Graduate

I took the intro to iOS course at Eleven Fifty in January of 2015, with absolutely no computer programming background. I was lucky enough to be offered an apprenticeship a month or so after completing the week long, immersive coding class.  Since starting as a full-time employee for Eleven Fifty in March, my knowledge of development and experience consulting real-world clients has expanded tremendously.  I have now submitted two, going on three, apps the app store.  I have learned so much from my fellow apprentices, and especially our senior developers. This experience has given me the skills I need to ultimately get a job elsewhere doing what I love, which I would have never been able to say prior to enrolling at Eleven Fifty.

Monday, Apr 24 2017
    Wow! We'd love to hear more about the apps you have in the published so we can share with our community.
  • Levi Emanuel VanWinkle

Course: Intro to iOS- Crash course-style learning, good for introducing a person to a lot of information at once in a short period of time. Very knowledged/skilled instructors that teach practice instead of just theory in a field-submersive environment, where the student is always in the code doing it themselves. Instructors not only teach, but work it in their career and have years (some with decades) of experience in programming and the business of it.

Welcoming environment for beginners like me- never felt out of place. Definitely worth looking into!

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind words. We've come a long way since your visit. Hope to see you in new classes soon! (or volunteer in the community to give back!)
  • Levi Emanuel VanWinkle

• Elyse Swoverland • Apprentice Android & iOS Developer • Graduate

I had almost no coding experience when I took the Intro to iOS class at Eleven Fifty. They made programming a fun, easy-to-understand experience. I learned so much through the immersive experience that I was able to start a career in programming with an incredibly solid foundation. I would recommend that anyone interested in coding take a class at Eleven Fifty, you won't regret it.

Thursday, Apr 20 2017
    Wow. Sounds like you got a lot packed in during your visit.

Love to see you again (or hear about you giving back through teaching others)
  • Randy Oest • Manager of Digital Design • Student

When Eleven Fifty says "In just seven days, we teach you new real-world skills that you can build upon immediately", they mean it!

I had never attended a bootcamp before and I wasn't sure what to expect of that learning format. I was wondering if the long days were going to be too long. As it turns out, I was excited about what I was learning the whole time! Every hour I was learning something new, adding it to what we were working on, and watching the actual apps I was writing come to life!

I blogged about the whole adventure, if you'd like to see what it was like in more detail.

In the end, I've added a marketable skill and I am currently working on apps to send to the App Store!

Thursday, Apr 20 2017
    Thanks for the kind words. While note easy, the crash 5-day classes go through a lot of material quickly. We had to pull back to 5 days because it was killing the instructors and many didn't like giving up their weekends for work-related training.
  • Greg • Digital Marketing • Student

The immersion method of teaching at Eleven Fifty was new to me but I felt that it was effective.  Seeing real cod being created with explanation as to why it is being created helped a ton.  The instructors were very patient and gave understandable explanations to how and why something works.  Having an open syllabus was nice in case we had to take a step back.  I walked away with a solid understanding of java script and reference to look at while I create my next JS application.  Looking forward to my next steps in JS and what I will be creating!

Amentities at Eleven Fifty are nice.  Meals are provided for students and there are assigned breaks to allow your mind to refresh for the evening portion.  All of the staff at the boot camp are accomodating and friendly.  The facilty and teaching lab/theater is very comfortable, you feel like your at home beacause you attend the course at a beautiful home.

Thursday, Apr 20 2017
    Love to hear you enjoyed the course. Hope to hear more about your success!
  • Michelle • Technology Analyst • Graduate

Eleven Fifty is the school for you if you are ready to dive right in to a new language. I took their 7-day immersive iOS course and it is THE definition of a crash course. Each moment was spent learning and developing with not a second wasted, except for the delicious meals!

The days were long but you are most definitely getting what you pay for. Terrance was my instructor and I would not change one thing about his style of teaching. I am a "doer" and learn better from doing the actions myself. I was able to code right along with Terrance as he projected his screen for the whole class to see. I felt like I was fully capable of developing my own app using Swift after completing the course.

Attending the iOS course at Eleven Fifty was a great experience and will be my first choice when I need to learn a new language!

Thursday, Apr 20 2017
    Hey, thanks a lot for the review. We love 'Doer's'. If you have a moment, send me your name and email and I'll send you the official 'Do'er' Manefesto poster.

A must for all Masters of Do.
  • Luxury Learning
    - 3/30/2015
    Erik • Manager, Programming

The Java for Web was a great course in a great environment. You really do get to learn in an environment where they care about you and make you feel welcome. They are there to help you learn and make sure you are on track for knowing what is important. This class focused in on basic understand of Java the first two days, then you went all into learning Spring for Java the rest of the week. The class is more hands on then lecture which was great for us. The instructor was always on hand to help and answer questions.

Thursday, Apr 20 2017
    Glad you enjoyed the course! Hope to see you again!
  • Marek Wojciech Ługowski (Lugowski) • Insurance agent/Literary editor/Programmer/Computer scientist • Graduate

From what I've read, developer bootcamps often run for weeks and cost appropriately escalated sums of money. I say that taking a week-long course in-residence at Eleven Fifty Academy in the Indianapolis area is the sweet-spot of boot-camping. I don't think I would have opted, at this point in my life, for weeks of do-nothing-else intensity at a huge money outlay. Having gone through the Intro to iOS Development in Swift programming language, naturally using Apple's Xcode integrated development environment, with Parse.com used for backend and Twitter and Facebook APIs to effect authentication, and using my own Mac Book Pro proved to be amazingly skill-elevating and eye-opening. Frankly, it felt like a virtual brain transplant, or my dormant programmer's brain re-awakening. I had been a lapsed developer, and still think of myself as a computer scientist, among other things, so my perspective may be a bit niche. However, everyone around taking the course with me, whatever their background, appeared to have the same take on the course: eminently enjoyable, supportive, and most importantly, effective.  I am sure much of that come about directly from the instructor Terrence Kunstek, who does a brilliant and brilliantly friendly job. In no small part the environment of Scott A. Jones' "palatial estate" ($1 to Indiana Business Daily), and the truly awesome catering orchestrated by Greg Abes, and the not too shabby extracurricular activities offered us, the students, had all combined to make this a wonderful, life-changing experience. The people at the long bootcamps are equally competent, one hopes, and supportive, and all that, but frankly, it is not something I am in any position to find out on my own. I will take the Advanced iOS class at the first opportunity available to me, because not to do so feels now like leaving a construction half-finished.  Whether you too are a lapsed developer or a greenhorn suffused with trepidation, or a completely sure of yourself in-between, whoever you are, this teaching/learning thing that Eleven Fifty Academy is well worth your time and resources.

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your kind words.

It is reviews like this told us to ensure to keep the 1-week immersive programs in place even though we now offer 3, 5, 4 and 12-week immersive programs.

We continue to improve programs and hope to see you again.

• Audrey Frank • Media Developer

Eleven Fifty is like no other school out there. I took the 2-day Into to Computer Programming Course, and what a great experience. Coming in, I was nervous because I had no knowledge of coding whatsoever. But the instructor started with the absolute basics and worked up to higher concepts. The weekend class just introduces you to the bare bones of coding (specifically javascript), but it made me want to come back for more.

What's more, everybody who works there makes it their goal to ensure you not only learn a ton, but that you also have a great time and feel at home. You walk around the house in slippers or socks, have your choice of snacks any time, and on the breaks you can take advantage of the pool table, fireplace, or many other amenities.

If you want to learn about coding, you couldn't find a better investment than Eleven Fifty!

Thursday, Apr 20 2017
    Glad you enjoyed the course. Come back and see us! (or take the time to teach someone else)
  • Trevor Steele • Student

I took the weekend Intro to Computer Programming course at Eleven Fifty and couldn't be happier! The instruction was phenomenal and very hands on, I was typing my own code and editing images and actually understanding what was being taught. I felt comfortable asking questions at times when I didn't fully grasp certain concepts, but the course itself moved at pace that kept me from feeling like I was drowning.

I couldn't be happier with Eleven Fifty and the investment I made in this class. I will certainly be returning for more advanced classes in the future!

Thursday, Apr 20 2017
    You work hard for your money. Glad the experience was worth it.

I enrolled at Eleven Fifty because they offered a bootcamp that was 7 days versus the typical 6-8 week course.  Being that it was to take place at the home of Tech Entrepreneur Scott Jones, I figured it had to be worthwhile.  Well, it was.  I went from not knowing ANYTHING about iOS development to now having the ability to understand the basics of app development.  There is still more to learn after this course and will definitely be back to take the advanced course.  Terrence was my instructor for iOS and he is a very experienced and knowledgeable developer that was willing to share all his knowledge about iOS development and more.  We learned syntax, swift, xcode, parse and also learned how to submit an app for approval by the app store.  During the course we developed 3 apps from scratch (using some already provided code for some sections which we reviewed in detail so we understood it).  The entire staff was quite helpful and I would certainly recommend this course to anyone serious about app development.

Thursday, Apr 20 2017
    Thanks for the kind words. While we now offer 3,5,4 and 12-week immersive courses, we still offer these intense 5-day courses. (sorry, we had to drop the 7-day course, it was smok'in the instructors)  Happy instructors, happy students.

I took this course a week ago, and I am now proficient at building apps. They definitely give you the building blocks to go out and build your own app once the course is over. Even though the course runs 12 hours a day, you do not get burnt out because they have well-placed breaks and the material is extremely interesting. We built a note app, a Snapchat copycat app, and a Tindr copycat app. Anybody of any age who wants to learn how to build apps should definitely attend this school. The instructors and staff are extremely great too and are willing to help you through all of your struggles and are also very accomodating. Plus, the food was catered in from some delicious restaraunts.

Thursday, Apr 20 2017
    Thanks for the kinds words. We keep improving and its feedback like this that keeps up going!
  • Great Job!!
    - 11/8/2017

I thought this was a great course and I learned a lot!!  I had some struggles off and on with learning the skills necessary to move on to the next project and building confidence in order to enter the working world in this discipline.  While I thought that was somewhat due to my own issues with time and stress-management, I also did think that the curriculum's change in pace from mostly instructor taught to mostly self-taught was slightly too abrupt.  I thought that it needed to be more gradual, and I actually agreed with Kayleah's thoughts on that topic.  With that being said, I thought Paul, Kenn, and Jay's knowledge was astounding, and I aspire to be as good as them some day.  I really do enjoy solving a good puzzle.  I also thought that Chris' assistance with interview and resume prep and pushing people to go with Employ Up was extremely helpful, as it seems like it might be a great resource to use.  I have not found a job in this area yet, but I hope to do so in a reasonable amount of time.

Wednesday, Nov 08 2017
    Thank you so much for your candid feedback!

Truly an example of our values around genuine and authentic interactions. This is important feedback that will go into the evaluation and iterations of our program's curriculum.

Please continue to leverage our team to continue your journey.

You didn't leave your name, but don't hesitate to reach out to me directly if I can help, or you have more to share that will improve the experience and outcomes.

The Academy is nothing but a moneymaking venture for the organizers. It is a travesty to give this non-profit status. If someone wants to drop out during the first session (after actually seeing the course work) they won't get ther money back.

The instructors are great but their style is greatly hampered -- they are not alowed to give any handouts nor presentations. Class time is wasted setting up software which should be done ahead of time. People cannot work at their own pace.

Title: Qualls
    Wednesday, Nov 08 2017
    Dear Anonymous,

We're disheartened to read your comments here.  I would be happy to meet with you in person to discuss any issues you have with our program.

Specific to the issues you have shared:

Drop out. We make every attempt to ensure students are qualified to enter our program both in aptitude, attitude, and support. We offer a two-day course to expose the student to the teaching style and classroom pacing. This class also has an instructor and industry assessment that is conducted and shared with the student. Did you take advantage of this opportunity?

Money back. Our refund policy is transparent and available for review through the entire admissions process. We believe our policy of students only paying for the modules they start is a differentiator from other programs. If a student drops in the first module, they are not obligated to pay for the second and third modules. Any money paid that exceeds the cost of the first module is fully refunded.

Handouts and Presentations. There are several e-books that are distributed and fully available to students through the course. Can you be more specific about what you were looking for?

Classroom time setting up software. This is surprising. There is an 'InstallFest' conducted 10 days prior to the start of the course in which we provide orientation and support to set up your machine for the start of the course. In addition, there is a make-up date the week prior to the course should the first one be missed. Did you attend the InstallFest related to your course?

Self Pace learning. Our program is intentionally designed to support the Gradual Release of Responsibility (GRR) learning methodology. We look for every opportunity to challenge students at their skill level. For example, our classroom challenges are broken down into bronze, silver, gold (and at times Platinum) to give students the opportunity to push their skills further. We're sorry this style is not the right fit for you.

As I shared above, happy to speak to you directly on any of these issues to understand.

Wish you every success in your future.

• .NET Track
    - 6/12/2017

Eleven Fifty Academy was one of the best decisions I ever made. The curriculum was challenging, engaging and the instructors made it a really fun environment to learn. Everyone was prepared, and for me specifically, broke things down into digestible pieces so that I could understand and apply my learning. Although I am still looking for a job, I have had a couple of interviews and employers were impressed with what I was able to learn in 12 weeks. I highly recommend this program!

Thursday, Jul 20 2017
    Thank you for your kind words. I hope you are working closely with Chris and  Tonya in the career ready area to assist you in your job pursuit. Don't hesitate to ask for me directly if you feel you are not getting the experience you expect.

I learned not only about Java, but also how all kinds of different technologies work together to create web applications.

Dear Reviewer,

So glad to hear you enjoyed the course!
  • Anonymous • Marketing Operations Specialist • Graduate

Initiallly took the Intro to Coding class, enjoyed it even though the instructor Ari was a little bit of a smart jackass. Besides that I enjoyed the material I was learning and thought I could try coding out as a career. I enrolled in the Java ALP in September and enjoyed it thoroughly learning many skills that people don't normally have. The curriculum was pretty good but sometimes felt like there could be more. It was really about teaching the core aspects of the language we were learning then building simple console applications with what we learned in class. I felt like the course should be a little bit longer considering all the information they throw at you and most people can't absorb information that fast and produce a quality program in that timeframe but it is a "bootcamp". They don't offer apprenticeships anymore and after graduating your job hunting on your own without too much help or guidance on who to talk to. Some people out of my cohort got jobs right away while others changed fields or got another internship somewhere else. They are still building their relationships with potential employers and the community to know that they are producing quality talent.

Dear reviewer,

I seek to understand more about your experience? I am a little confused on the dates of this review. I believe the course your course was in 2016 before we stood up our career assistance programs (internship/apprenticeship and placement) The date of this review is 4/2017 and we have 3 dedicated team members assigned to the student, employer and program.

All of our graduates now receive assistance for 15 months after the completion of the program. I encourage you to reach out to the Career Ready team if you need it.

Reach out to me directly if you wish to share additional concerns or insight on improving the experience with our program. jqualls@elevenfifty.org
  • Great Courses!
    - 10/18/2018
    Daniel • Graduate

I loved the courses. I literally went from knowing very little about code to being capable of getting a full-time job. Really grateful for these courses!

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.