eleven-fifty-academy-logo

Eleven Fifty Academy

Hybrid (Online & In-person), Indianapolis, Online

Eleven Fifty Academy

Eleven Fifty Academy is a non-profit coding and cybersecurity bootcamp headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana offering a range of courses from 12-14 week full-time bootcamps to 24-week part-time programs. Eleven Fifty Academy is focused on helping aspiring career-starters with little to no experience as well as tech professionals seeking to enhance their skills. Each course provides a hands-on, project-centric teaching approach for students to grow their soft skills as well as their tech skills in a friendly, entrepreneurial-minded classroom environment. In-person classes are taught at Launch Fishers as well as Downtown Indianapolis.

The Web Development program teaches students JavaScript, HTML, CSS, PostgreSQL, Express, React, and Bootstrap. Students learn pair programming, develop full stack applications, create and deploy web pages, and create a portfolio of finished projects.

The Cybersecurity program includes hands-on training both attacking and defending on a military-grade simulated cybersecurity training range. Students will learn how to conduct and stop cyber attacks, as well as be prepared for an entry-level job in the industry. Students work towards their CompTIA Security+ certification in this program.

The Software Development program gives students the skills to become successful Microsoft .NET software developers. Students will create and deploy web pages, develop full stack applications, and learn modern frameworks and libraries. Students will learn HTML, CSS, .NET, MVC, and REST.

Eleven Fifty Academy offers career prep to their students, including finalizing portfolios, resume and LinkedIn assistance, and offering guidance on professional networking. All programs offered by Eleven Fifty Academy are continuously guided and critiqued by industry advisory boards composed of hiring managers, influencers, and decision makers within the tech ecosystem. Eleven Fifty Academy offers a variety of funding options, including private loans, GI Bill funds, Progressive Income Share Agreements (PISA), and scholarships.

Recent Eleven Fifty Academy Reviews: Rating 4.72

all (148) reviews for Eleven Fifty Academy →

Recent Eleven Fifty Academy News

Read all (51) articles about Eleven Fifty Academy →
  • Cybersecurity 14-Week Bootcamp

Our Cybersecurity program is designed to arm you with real-world experience and the credentials to back it. You'll begin with prework, learning CompTIA A+ basics. Soon after, you are on your way to Network+, and Security+ certifications. As you are earning your certifications, you'll also be gaining experience both attacking (red team) and defending (blue team) on a military-grade cybersecurity simulation range.
     Students may qualify for scholarships and other funding. Lending partners include SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansProgressive Income Share Agreement
    ScholarshipApply to check for qualification
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic ability of computer operation. Knowledge of coding is not required, but is helpful.
  • Cybersecurity 24-Week Bootcamp

Tuition PlansProgressive Income Share Agreement
    ScholarshipApply to check for qualification
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic ability of computer operation. Knowledge of coding is helpful but is not required.
  • Free Introductory Courses - Coding or Cybersecurity

We offer free coding and cybersecurity courses for those who aren't sure if our programs are the right fit. Intro courses are offered Online as well as In-Person. Contact us for information on upcoming dates, or visit elevenfifty.org .
    Minimum Skill LevelAbility to operate a computer.
  • Software Development 12-Week Bootcamp

During our Software Development program, you’ll immerse yourself in the coding experience. From day one, you’ll be getting the hands-on coding experiences you need for a successful coding career. Through this comprehensive coding experience, you’ll master the fundamentals, develop your skills, and learn some of the most in-demand technologies and software. All of this culminates in you being a well-rounded coder with the hard skills needed to start a career and the soft skills to make you a versatile employee.
  • Software Development 24-Week Bootcamp

Agile, Algorithms, ASP.NET, C#, CSS, Data Analytics , DevOps, Git, HTML, jQuery, MVC, MySQL, .NET, REST, SQL
  • Web Development 12-Week Bootcamp

Our JavaScript Course is focused on turning noncoders into well-rounded, versatile coders, or upskilling those who already know other programming languages. From day one, we’ll be working with you to get you prepared for an entry-level coding job. You’ll get hands-on experience and develop the soft skills that you need to land your dream job. Our instructors won’t lecture you from a book or expect you to watch hours of tutorial videos. Instead, they’ll walk you through the fundamentals, help you expand your coding knowledge, and give you the tools you need to become a programming professional.

• Web Development 24-Week Bootcamp

SQL, REST, .NET, MVC, HTML, Git, DevOps, Data Visualization, Data Structures, Data Analytics , CSS, C#, ASP.NET, Algorithms, Agile
    LocationIndianapolis, Hybrid (Online & In-person)
    Our JavaScript-focused Course is focused on turning noncoders into well-rounded, versatile coders, or upskilling those who already know other programming languages. From day one, we’ll be working with you to get you prepared for an entry-level coding job. You’ll get hands-on experience and develop the soft skills that you need to land your dream job. Our instructors won’t lecture you from a book or expect you to watch hours of tutorial videos. Instead, they’ll walk you through the fundamentals, help you expand your coding knowledge, and give you the tools you need to become a programming professional.

Prep WorkWill be provided with acceptance and enrollment deposit.
    First things first, the admissions process was hectic and clumsy. High pressure sales pitches. Little to no communication if you have questions about the program or financing. The instructors were great. The curriculum was great. The career services department literally did not exist. The company was going through some sort of transition (they laid off something like 60% of their workforce). Even after they hired someone for career services (about 3 weeks before I graduated, I had little to no interaction with them. The job field is not at all like they convey. There are plenty of jobs, but even entry level positions usually require some IT experience, if not specifically networking or security.

Pros: Great instructors and course materials, resources for learning outside of class

Cons: Lots of information very quickly, Hard to keep up at times
    Admissions process was hectic and high pressure, lack of communication
    Career services were non-existent, lack of communication
    I completed the web development course through EFA and would advise you to look elsewhere if you want to learn how to code.

The staff at EFA embraces the drinking from a fire hydrant learning method. This is ineffective. Humans don't learn well by trying to absorb a bunch of information in a short amount of time. It's why your middle school teachers told you not to procrastinate and wait until the last minute to do an assignment/study. Unless EFA students have prior coding experience or an unusual ability to learn a large amount of new information quickly you are not going to get it. This method is not wise for learning period let along something as complex as coding.

One of the appeals of attending a live, interactive school is access to instructors who can help you where you need it. EFA spends a lot of time telling students how they need to be able to figure stuff out on their own as a developer. While this is true students are paying a lot of money to attend. As a student I was not looking for someone to simply tell me the answer but I was expecting someone to help me figure out what i'm not understanding. That largely did not happen. Instead what you will often get as "help" is a link to some article to read online. After spending an hour on a problem and not getting it I thought $15K would get you a little more help than a "here is a link, go figure it out yourself" response. Oftentimes that is what you get. If EFA wants to maintain this level of help than I would expect a significantly less tuition amount because their program is more inline with a self paced / figure things out yourself program that is a fraction of what EFA charges.

The instructors themselves vary in quality. They are sometimes recent EFA graduates themselves with no coding experience beyond being an EFA student. The same goes for assistants. It's disappointing when you realize there is superior educational content on YouTube compared to what students pay EFA thousands for.

All this isn't to say that there are never EFA graduates who land developer roles. There are simply not that many of them especially compared to the number of students that complete the EFA program. EFA will tell you that a certain percentage of their graduates get jobs in the tech space but many of them become EFA employees or get non developer roles for a tech company. You certainly don't need EFA to land a job in software support or sales so don't believe the spin they put on the jobs their graduates get.

EFA has their fair share of cheerleaders pumping up the school. The truth is that it is way overpriced. Even if it was free you don't need to try and learn everything required to land a junior developer role in 3 or 6 months. You are naive if you think the masses can do it. Realize that it's ok to take your time with it. There are countless other resources online that are both superior in educational quality and significantly less expensive than EFA.

- 10/4/2021
    I had a great time at Eleven Fifty Academy and I learned a lot of valuable real-world skills that helped me in getting a career and gain a lot of work experience.
  • Anonymous • Product Integrity Analyst • Student
    I decided to do the part time web development bootcamp after months of self-teaching and research. I needed an environment where there were teachers were knowledgeable and readily available to help, as well as a structured learning schedule to get the best out of the experience. I found that and more with Eleven Fifty. Not only was the learning environment a great one, but the curriculum was perfect. Also I was able to get real experience building my own projects both individually and in a team setting. Also the network I built was helpful in navigating the job search as well as just having support throughout the course and after. The career services does their best to help land a job after which was big for me. Overall, Eleven Fifty is a great experience I would definitely recommend to anyone looking to make that change or learn that new skill.
  • Anonymous • Associate Software Engineer • Student
    Eleven Fifty Academy was able to deliver a great online bootcamp experience from start to finish. In an amazing partnership with the Hoosier CARES act, Indiana residents such as myself could get the bootcamp for free or very cheap! The teachers and learning assistants were always available and truly wanted to help everyone. The career team was very dedicated and was always willing to make time for me and to hear me out.
    After I had applied to Eleven Fifty Academy and spoken with a representative, a staff member arranged for me to have an admission meeting with Alex on July 23rd on Zoom at 6:30 PM EST … he never showed up (I waited for 30 minutes). Consequently, I rescheduled an appointment for August 5th at 3:30 PM EST … once again, he never showed up. So, I called and left a message on his personal office phone; he never called me back.

Mind you, I was told by Eleven Fifty staff members that Alex was well informed on July 23rd, and on August 5th that he had an appointment with me.

Alex Volyk, if you did not want to speak to me or did not have adequate time on your schedule then you should have been honest about it from the beginning. Instead, you opted to waste my time.

Disclaimer - I had left 5 stars for Instructors and Curriculum in the rating section because Course Report wouldn't allow me to choose Not Applicable for those categories.
  • .NET program
    - 6/8/2020
    Anonymous • .NET developer • Graduate
    I really enjoyed my time there and think it paid off. I landed a developer job just a couple months after graduation. There's still so much I have to learn but I feel Eleven Fifty did a good job of giving us a solid base to grow from. I learned a lot of useful tools that prepared me for the role I was eventually hired for.

There was really only one criticism I could think of. I think the instructors need to complete the cohort they started with. We had Lawrence leave relatively early and I do think it made a bit of a difference. Becky was great but it was definitely a transition in a program where time is already short. I know most of the instructors want to move onto outside developer jobs but it can make it tough to keep learning well when an instructor leaves. I don't know if you could have a contract stating an instructor has to finish teaching a program they start. When I signed up, I didn't know instructors could leave partway through the program and I do think that matters. You have excellent instructors and it'd be nice to learn from one main instructor across your program.
  • Overall Experience:
    I took an iOS Bootcamp in 2014 with Eleven Fifty Academy. We were using Swift, and created three apps during the course. The instructors were great, and really made sure everyone was understanding the curriculum. I felt extremely comfortable and confident after. When I returned to school, I definitely had a leg up to my peers with my coding experience. I graduated with a computer science major, but don't think I had a course at my college that compared to what I learned in this bootcamp.
  • Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate
    One of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Friendly and helpful staff. They help explain and guide you to what you’re looking for rather than just spoon feeding all of the answers.

The career services department passed along my resume to an employer that they were in contact with. I interviewed and was hired the same week as my graduation, making nearly $40/hour.

If you put in the effort, this investment will pay for itself.
  • EFA Grad
    - 4/30/2020
    Not having a computer science or tech background, Eleven Fifty Academy most definitely gave me the basics and foundations I needed to continue learning independently after graduation.  I will always be grateful for that.

That being said, it could also be that the course I had decided to take was only the second or third class and felt there lacked structure.  Beginning, we learned all the basics, which were useful.  Then we jumped around different frameworks.  It didn't help that I found out the next class's curriculum would be completely different from what I went through as well.  I'm guessing it wasn't just myself that felt the curriculum needed tweaking.

I also felt there wasn't much professionalism from the instructors.  One of them actually said to another classmate that the money we were paying for this boot-camp was for the food.

In regards to job assistance, EFA goes out of their way to keep in touch, make sure you're prepping and applying for jobs.

To wrap it up, I am always thankful to Eleven Fifty Academy, as they are the ones who helped jump start my career in tech.  I believe everyone's experience will be different and it comes down to whether you're willing to take a chance or not.
    Response From: Dewand Neely of Eleven Fifty Academy
    Title: COO
    Tuesday, May 26 2020
    We appreciate the feedback.  Eleven Fifty Academy practices continuous improvement of its programs and curriculum.  We seek feedback and guidance from students, staff and industry experts to ensure we are doing the very best we can to create an effective learning environment and keep up with the ever-changing needs of the tech market.

Eleven Fifty Academy takes its image very seriously and strives to create a professional environment and experience.  We have used this anonymous review to reiterate the criticality of these types of student perceptions to our entire learning team and beyond.  We apologize for anything lacking in your experience at the Academy, and we would be most interested in getting your constructive feedback on an ongoing basis to help us be better for all future students.

“The Food” is a tradition carried over from the early days of the Academy that has stuck with us.  Eleven Fifty Academy provides lunch and other snacks on campus, for faculty, staff, students, and any visitors that happen to stop by that day. This is not a part of student tuition and is provided by the academy as a benefit to faculty, staff, students, and visitors.

We are very happy that we were able to be a part of helping you jump start your career in tech and we wish you much success!

• Great Job!!
    - 11/8/2017

I thought this was a great course and I learned a lot!!  I had some struggles off and on with learning the skills necessary to move on to the next project and building confidence in order to enter the working world in this discipline.  While I thought that was somewhat due to my own issues with time and stress-management, I also did think that the curriculum's change in pace from mostly instructor taught to mostly self-taught was slightly too abrupt.  I thought that it needed to be more gradual, and I actually agreed with Kayleah's thoughts on that topic.  With that being said, I thought Paul, Kenn, and Jay's knowledge was astounding, and I aspire to be as good as them some day.  I really do enjoy solving a good puzzle.  I also thought that Chris' assistance with interview and resume prep and pushing people to go with Employ Up was extremely helpful, as it seems like it might be a great resource to use.  I have not found a job in this area yet, but I hope to do so in a reasonable amount of time.

Response From: John Qualls of Eleven Fifty Academy
    Title: President
    Wednesday, Nov 08 2017
    Thank you so much for your candid feedback!

Truly an example of our values around genuine and authentic interactions. This is important feedback that will go into the evaluation and iterations of our program's curriculum.

Please continue to leverage our team to continue your journey.

You didn't leave your name, but don't hesitate to reach out to me directly if I can help, or you have more to share that will improve the experience and outcomes.

The Academy is nothing but a moneymaking venture for the organizers. It is a travesty to give this non-profit status. If someone wants to drop out during the first session (after actually seeing the course work) they won't get ther money back.

The instructors are great but their style is greatly hampered -- they are not alowed to give any handouts nor presentations. Class time is wasted setting up software which should be done ahead of time. People cannot work at their own pace.

Response From: John Qualls of Eleven Fifty Academy
    Title: Qualls
    Wednesday, Nov 08 2017
    Dear Anonymous,

We're disheartened to read your comments here.  I would be happy to meet with you in person to discuss any issues you have with our program.

Specific to the issues you have shared:

Drop out. We make every attempt to ensure students are qualified to enter our program both in aptitude, attitude, and support. We offer a two-day course to expose the student to the teaching style and classroom pacing. This class also has an instructor and industry assessment that is conducted and shared with the student. Did you take advantage of this opportunity?

Money back. Our refund policy is transparent and available for review through the entire admissions process. We believe our policy of students only paying for the modules they start is a differentiator from other programs. If a student drops in the first module, they are not obligated to pay for the second and third modules. Any money paid that exceeds the cost of the first module is fully refunded.

Handouts and Presentations. There are several e-books that are distributed and fully available to students through the course. Can you be more specific about what you were looking for?

Classroom time setting up software. This is surprising. There is an 'InstallFest' conducted 10 days prior to the start of the course in which we provide orientation and support to set up your machine for the start of the course. In addition, there is a make-up date the week prior to the course should the first one be missed. Did you attend the InstallFest related to your course?

Self Pace learning. Our program is intentionally designed to support the Gradual Release of Responsibility (GRR) learning methodology. We look for every opportunity to challenge students at their skill level. For example, our classroom challenges are broken down into bronze, silver, gold (and at times Platinum) to give students the opportunity to push their skills further. We're sorry this style is not the right fit for you.

As I shared above, happy to speak to you directly on any of these issues to understand.

Wish you every success in your future.

Eleven Fifty Academy Outcomes

Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 38 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.