eleven-fifty-academy-logo

Eleven Fifty Academy

Hybrid (Online & In-person), Indianapolis, Online

Eleven Fifty Academy

Eleven Fifty Academy is a non-profit coding and cybersecurity bootcamp headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana offering a range of courses from 12-14 week full-time bootcamps to 24-week part-time programs. Eleven Fifty Academy is focused on helping aspiring career-starters with little to no experience as well as tech professionals seeking to enhance their skills. Each course provides a hands-on, project-centric teaching approach for students to grow their soft skills as well as their tech skills in a friendly, entrepreneurial-minded classroom environment. In-person classes are taught at Launch Fishers as well as Downtown Indianapolis.

The Web Development program teaches students JavaScript, HTML, CSS, PostgreSQL, Express, React, and Bootstrap. Students learn pair programming, develop full stack applications, create and deploy web pages, and create a portfolio of finished projects.

The Cybersecurity program includes hands-on training both attacking and defending on a military-grade simulated cybersecurity training range. Students will learn how to conduct and stop cyber attacks, as well as be prepared for an entry-level job in the industry. Students work towards their CompTIA Security+ certification in this program.

The Software Development program gives students the skills to become successful Microsoft .NET software developers. Students will create and deploy web pages, develop full stack applications, and learn modern frameworks and libraries. Students will learn HTML, CSS, .NET, MVC, and REST.

Eleven Fifty Academy offers career prep to their students, including finalizing portfolios, resume and LinkedIn assistance, and offering guidance on professional networking. All programs offered by Eleven Fifty Academy are continuously guided and critiqued by industry advisory boards composed of hiring managers, influencers, and decision makers within the tech ecosystem. Eleven Fifty Academy offers a variety of funding options, including private loans, GI Bill funds, Progressive Income Share Agreements (PISA), and scholarships.

Recent Eleven Fifty Academy Reviews: Rating 4.71

all (144) reviews for Eleven Fifty Academy →

Recent Eleven Fifty Academy News

Read all (48) articles about Eleven Fifty Academy →
  • Cybersecurity 14-Week Bootcamp

Our Cybersecurity program is designed to arm you with real-world experience and the credentials to back it. You'll begin with prework, learning CompTIA A+ basics. Soon after, you are on your way to Network+, and Security+ certifications. As you are earning your certifications, you'll also be gaining experience both attacking (red team) and defending (blue team) on a military-grade cybersecurity simulation range.
     Students may qualify for scholarships and other funding. Lending partners include SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansProgressive Income Share Agreement
    ScholarshipApply to check for qualification
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic ability of computer operation. Knowledge of coding is not required, but is helpful.
  • Cybersecurity 24-Week Bootcamp

Tuition PlansProgressive Income Share Agreement
    ScholarshipApply to check for qualification
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic ability of computer operation. Knowledge of coding is helpful but is not required.
  • Free Introductory Courses - Coding or Cybersecurity

We offer free coding and cybersecurity courses for those who aren't sure if our programs are the right fit. Intro courses are offered Online as well as In-Person. Contact us for information on upcoming dates, or visit elevenfifty.org .
    Minimum Skill LevelAbility to operate a computer.
  • Software Development 12-Week Bootcamp

During our Software Development program, you’ll immerse yourself in the coding experience. From day one, you’ll be getting the hands-on coding experiences you need for a successful coding career. Through this comprehensive coding experience, you’ll master the fundamentals, develop your skills, and learn some of the most in-demand technologies and software. All of this culminates in you being a well-rounded coder with the hard skills needed to start a career and the soft skills to make you a versatile employee.
  • Software Development 24-Week Bootcamp

Agile, Algorithms, ASP.NET, C#, CSS, Data Analytics , DevOps, Git, HTML, jQuery, MVC, MySQL, .NET, REST, SQL
  • Web Development 12-Week Bootcamp

Our JavaScript Course is focused on turning noncoders into well-rounded, versatile coders, or upskilling those who already know other programming languages. From day one, we’ll be working with you to get you prepared for an entry-level coding job. You’ll get hands-on experience and develop the soft skills that you need to land your dream job. Our instructors won’t lecture you from a book or expect you to watch hours of tutorial videos. Instead, they’ll walk you through the fundamentals, help you expand your coding knowledge, and give you the tools you need to become a programming professional.

• Web Development 24-Week Bootcamp

SQL, REST, .NET, MVC, HTML, Git, DevOps, Data Visualization, Data Structures, Data Analytics , CSS, C#, ASP.NET, Algorithms, Agile
    LocationIndianapolis, Hybrid (Online & In-person)
    Our JavaScript-focused Course is focused on turning noncoders into well-rounded, versatile coders, or upskilling those who already know other programming languages. From day one, we’ll be working with you to get you prepared for an entry-level coding job. You’ll get hands-on experience and develop the soft skills that you need to land your dream job. Our instructors won’t lecture you from a book or expect you to watch hours of tutorial videos. Instead, they’ll walk you through the fundamentals, help you expand your coding knowledge, and give you the tools you need to become a programming professional.

• Certis Montgomery  User Photo
    Certis Montgomery • Cyber Instructor • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    EFA was a total shock. I’ve been in a few bootcamps before, and they all were like “here’s the book, good luck.” EFA gives you a book and so many other tools. They also give a personal touch. Every Instructor is personally invested in you and your growth. You just don’t see that in other programs. It’s a fast pasted environment, but if you need it to slow down, your instructors make the time to help. The CompTIA information is out there, you can get that anywhere. The people make EFA! EFA saved me. Saved me from a life of complacency. EFA helped me grow as a person, as a techie. I have the ability to strive for goals that I didn’t know were possible for me. EFA has helped make a better life for my family. For that I will be forever grateful. From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU EFA!
  • 10/10
    - 3/3/2022
    Andrew   User Photo
    Andrew • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Eleven Fifty Academy gave me the opportunity to get into a field I was highly interested in but had little experience or knowledge of how to do that. I was able to graduate with both Net+ and Sec+ on my first attempts and am currently studying for the CySA+ certification and I can already tell how my time at Eleven Fifty has given me the solid foundation I needed to build a career out of it. I am excited to continue my career and because of EFA I know what direction I want to go.
  • Shawn  User Photo
    Shawn • Ops/Marketing Consultant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Eleven Fifty Academy changed my life, and I would tell everyone I know.

After graduating college and failing to get into a graduate program, I was left working at a liquor store for ten dollars an hour.

After months and months of searching, I finally landed a job using my degree, and I was more miserable than I thought possible. One morning, I woke up to an email saying I had been laid off. My wife and I were devastated.

Two months later I had still not found a job and things were going to get desperate.

I stumbled upon the EFA (Eleven Fifty Academy) website by pure accident. Having been a technology hobbyist, I thought, it was at least worth a shot. Why not try and break into a field with a higher entry level salary than my degree?

After discussing it with my wife, I made the decision to go ahead and take a leap of faith and go through with it. Nine months later, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Admissions: Carolyn was my advisor and answered every question I could think of and then some. She even gave me her personal cell phone number in case I was unable to get ahold of her for some reason. She walked me through the entire process with a smile in her voice and a helping hand whenever I was unsure of what I needed to do.  There was a hang up getting some transcripts that were needed and not for a second did she falter or become impatient with me. Funding was explained to me professionally and carefully, leaving me feeling comfortable with the journey I was about to embark on, as I could not pay up front for my class. Once everything was said and done with the admissions process, I was a little sad that I would not be speaking to Carolyn again, since she was such a wonderfully pleasant introduction to my experience at EFA.

Funding: Part of my tuition was paid for by the Cares Act, and this was a significant reason as to why I choose EFA as my bootcamp in the first place. The rest of it was covered by a PISA agreement, which was something I had never heard of previously, but upon its explanation made a tremendous amount of sense to me and added to my confidence in my choice of bootcamps. Cares Act is over, I believe, however, I know for certain that EFA has a variety of options to help students fund their education.

Class: I went through the Full Time Cybersecurity program. Wow. Just wow.

I was assigned pre-work to do the week before class even started! I thought to myself, "Crazy, class hasn't evens started and I am already being bossed around." Boy, was I glad that I was. The intensity of class was nothing like I had experienced before. During Gold Badge, we focused on material covered on the CompTIA Net+ certification. Come to find out, this was just teaching us the vocabulary to operate in the security sphere of IT. Coming from a place where I did not know the difference between a Switch and a Router, this was the best way we could have been introduced to the material. Since this was the foundation of everything to come, hitting it hard and early helped me, personally, prepare and understand how to perform in class. During Blue Badge, the Cybersecurity portion of the program, we were given new instructors for new lessons and were introduced to TryHackMe, a tool that is used to practice hands-on cybersecurity scenarios and situations in a learning-friendly environment. This helped give us opportunities to practice things we learned during the theoretical portion of class. One of the Learning Instructors even held out of hours meet ups to go over security procedures and walk students through "boxes", security challenges, which furthered our practice and real-world understanding of these concepts. Finally, in Red Badge, training was over and we, the students, were thrown into the mix of a day-in-the-life of a real-world SOC analyst. In Red Badge, instead of classwork we had work-work. We were put into "The Range", a simulator that allows us to experience the "14 Worst Days of a SOC Analysts Life". Here we were let loose and had to defend a corporate network from a multitude of cyber-attacks, with the end of the day having to draft a report for the days' work, as practice for what is to come in the real world. It is the closest most people will get to engaging in a real-time cyber-attack, and we got to train on it as students!! Class time though was seriously fast paced and chalk full of information, and if you were not careful, you could easily fall behind. Personally, I think Net+ could have used another weeks' worth of class time, as it is a ton of material to cover.

There were times when classmates and I would talk about concern over the pace of things.

Curriculum: All the material covered is Industry Standard. I have no problems with what was taught or why. Net+/Sec+ are entry level certification within the industry and attempting to study and train for them myself would have cost years of my life, time that I just did not have. Being in an environment that structured the learning in a time-sensitive manner helped me more than I ever would have thought possible. It is hard to argue with what is being taught, when what is being taught is what is used throughout the industry. Standard certifications mean just that, "This is what is expected of you". Which made decisions easier for me. Now I do not have to wade through the tons of certifications out there that are similar, but not the same, AND there is someone there to walk me through things I don't understand? This part was an easy decision for me. They instruct what people with the jobs want. Simple as that.

Instructors: Like in school, not every instructor is the best teacher you have ever had, however, there is a theme with the instructors that I thought was great and really helped give me faith in the program. Regardless of the teaching experience or tech experience, all the Instructors and LA's I had were excited to be there and, in a position, to help others transition into tech from outside the sphere. One of my LA's was a former Green Bay Packer, a pro-football player, and every time I had a question, he would pull me into a breakout room and walk me through it until I understood what's what. Another instructor had been teaching Gold Badge for almost two years and was so incredibly knowledgeable I could not ask a question he did not have an answer for. Then I met MJ and Hunter. These two men know more about information security than I did about breathing, the best part, I got to learn from them. I had a great interaction with every instructor, and LA I had the opportunity to meet with. Life is imperfect and I understand that this cannot be the case for everyone all the time. This is just my experience.

Job Support: I reached out to my Career Services Advisor, Niki, the day my class got into Red Badge and was immediately blown away by how helpful she was. Again, I know not everyone has had this experience, but I spoke to Niki once or twice a day for those first two weeks and every other day after that until I had three positions wanting to ask me for second interviews. Here is where my story may differ from most. I was asked to apply for a position as a Cybersecurity Research Learning Assistant at EFA. Once I submitted my application, Niki told me she could no longer help me, as I was currently being considered by the company she worked for. This made total sense to me, and I saw no reason to hold it against her, and as she went above and beyond to help me, I had a fantastic experience with career services.

Things are never perfect and going to an online bootcamp is no exception. There were miscommunications and things I found to be laughably silly, but in the end, I graduated from the bootcamp as part of the top of my cohort, having been awarded the Leadership Core Value Award, being able to walk into a job teaching other people skills to change their lives.

Currently I work as an Operations and Marketing Consultant for Eleven Fifty helping to carry on the mission of teaching a million people to code in ten years and helping to develop tech talent in the state of Indiana.

Eleven Fifty Academy changed my life.
  • William Stergar  User Photo
    William Stergar • Dishwasher • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came to Eleven Fifty Academy hoping to “transform” or “launch” myself into technology because it is a rapidly growing field. I began on September 13th, 2021, and had no coding experience except for a semester of basic programming in high school. I knew it would be difficult to learn to code, but the way they advertised it to me was I’d feel comfortable enough to go against the job applicants that came out of an undergraduate CompSci program upon graduation. This was not the case. The graduates that successfully landed themselves into the career advertised had prior experience programming in frontend technologies, and the other taught software to students for a decade. They were consistently top of the class for good reason.

I never missed a day of class and worked hard to understand the concepts. However, the lectures were not interactive and quickly moved on to other concepts. It would have been easier to focus on furthering this understanding via self-study, but all the practice was graded and actually went to whether or not you pass to the next badge. Practice makes perfect, and my practice was not perfect. A “firehose” of information is what they called it and it truly felt that way. If you did not understand the concept right away, you quickly fell behind. My instructor would reassure the class that “you’ll understand it eventually;” my understanding is that if the fundamentals aren’t there, how do you expect to even attempt the advanced concepts? My instructor was also infamous for being late 10-30 minutes and sometimes not even knowing what we were doing outside of lecture. We’d be in a Zoom room, but where would my instructor be?

I fell behind (as did others) because the emphasis is on showing the information, not making sure everyone understands completely. Often times there would be 3 or 4 students that would be done already when there’s a week left to go on an assignment. Not a level playing field by any means. Each project was tough because you had to teach yourself the concepts and develop frontend and backend programming all in a short timespan (1-2 weeks). Some projects were really well done by students, but with a lack of understanding for a significant portion of the class, these are supposed to go into a portfolio to showcase to employers. Many ended up redoing them or scrapping them entirely after meeting rubric criteria. I crawled through the finish line and relied on my instructors for lots of help just so I could obtain the certification to show for my past three months in the Academy.

Within the first month the second instructor (there were two main ones, two learning assistants) left to go work on some other part of the company. So that was great. By the time we were in our last month (note that our class size was now at 15 or so, we started with 30~) Career Services had people leave their team AND Eleven Fifty Academy accepted many more students that they could not handle at the time. Now it’s 50 days since graduation (when they said 80% of their graduates are placed in jobs), and my personal career advisor is leaving Eleven Fifty Academy. So now I’ll get someone new at some point in the future. I was surprised of this announcement because my advisor starts a new position this upcoming Monday and I heard today. Shouldn’t we have someone new to go to right away? At this point I’ve accepted that EFA has failed to prepare myself and others for a web development career (only speaking for some classmates in my cohort), so I have resorted to self-studying and finding a job outside of this field because I feel unqualified.
  • Chris Morrison  User Photo
    Chris Morrison • TechForce Staff Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     I found out about EFA in the middle of 2021 when a lot of things were uncertain in this world. I had recently purchased a new home, adopted a wonderful dog, and was helping my family during a tough time involving cancer- so I already had a lot on my plate. I decided to go to EFA due to a need to change things as well as pivot to a new opportunity to help people.

EFA delivered in full. While I am not the best student, I had a drive to learn and a need to help others (as well as a need for a job, but I digress) that I was able to fully form into ideas and possibilities for my future I never thought possible. The instructors, the structure, the classmates, and the follow-up services with EFA have been amazing and I wouldn't be gladfully employed in the tech world now without their generosity, empathy, and compassion for getting people in jobs that they can see themselves thriving in.

Thank you for everything EFA, you are my superhero.
  • The IT Shepperd
    - 10/6/2021
    Michael Gates  User Photo
    Michael Gates • Cyber Security Analyst I • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Eleven Fifty Academy took me from a beginner with no experience in IT to a novice Cyber Security professional. Their methods mirror those of a shepherd leading a flock of eager learners to a career in IT. They are extremely friendly and knowledgeable throughout the entire process. Upon completion of the whichever course you choose, they have a dedicated team waiting to help place you in the respective industry. After graduating from Eleven Fifty Academy in just a few months, I secured my first job as a Cyber Security Analyst with the excellent help from their placement team.
  • Web dev
    - 10/6/2021
    Jeremy Kincaid  User Photo
    Jeremy Kincaid • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The amount of knowledge I absorbed in the short time here is incredible.
  • John Flood  User Photo
    John Flood • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was able to successfully change careers after graduating from the Full Stack Web Development bootcamp through Eleven Fifty, and would highly recommend it for anyone looking to break into the tech industry and wanting to learn how to code. Through the program we we're able to learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, along with back end technologies like node and express. The teachers we're great, and the office hours we're really helpful when having questions (which was all the time lol). Although there are a lot of great resources available to learn on your own, having access to the teachers and learning assistants was invaluable, and it was great experience working on group projects with other classmates. The career services department will also help with your resume, LinkedIn profile, job search, etc.
  • EFA Cybersecurity
    - 10/4/2021
    Brian S.  User Photo
    Brian S. • Pen-Tester • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Eleven Fifty Academy absolutely changed my life. I was a truck driver who hated trucking. I left trucking in October of 2020 to go through the EFA Cybersecurity course. The instructors were amazing, answering any and every question I could throw at them (and there were a lot of questions). They were knowledgeable and patient with me and helped me to become the Cybersecurity professional that I am today. When I left high school over 10 years ago now, I thought I was stupid and incapable of learning anything quickly. EFA showed me that that was not true at all. Not only did I excel at their courses, I then went on to pursue my Bachelor's Degree in Cybersecurity. I even managed to make it into a sort of Junior Pentesting position where I am able to learn and train on the job in order to become a full-on penetration tester. When I say that EFA changed my life, I mean I went from a job and a life that I hated to having a career that I love, more confidence in myself and my abilities than I have ever had, and a team of friends and now coworkers who are always willing to help me out with learning and continuing to grow.
  • Itza White  User Photo
    Itza White • On-Site IT Technician • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    2020 was a difficult year for a lot of people. I spent 6 years building my career with Sprint and had managed to climb the leadership ladder but the merger dissolved my role. I then took my talents to ATT and started climbing building a career there but COVID hit fast and hard and my role was also dissolved. I felt so lost and aimless, I felt like I was going back to the drawing board but had no idea where to even start. I decided to do one of the scariest things I have ever done, and I decided it was time for a career change. I wanted to go back to school but I did not want to spend years in school and I also did not have the funds. I decided to take a chance on a boot camp and researched for days on the best bootcamps in the country. I found Eleven Fifty Academy on google and began researching, they offered a free intro course which was not offered by many others. I signed up for the intro and they were completely honest with us from the start. They told us it would be hard, and we would have to put in the work but that they would provide us with the tools and curriculum to succeed. I signed up that same day and for the next 3 months I was emersed in cyber security courses. The instructors were very well versed in both network and security and we able to keep us engaged and learning every day. It was no easy by any means, there were a lot of late nights and struggles but they provided you with the support and extra help. They gave you tool after tool to help you learn and if you were struggling, they took the time to try different ways of explaining the subject until it was clear. After I was able to pass both my network and security plus certifications we were given access to a cyberbit range where we were able to put everything we had learned with real world attacks! It was such a blast and so rewarding to see it all put together. While in the cyberbit range I got a change to work with the career placement team and work on my resume and linked in. My career advisor even helped me discover on what I wanted from my next career. I started applying for different roles and within 14 days of graduation I had two offers, my advisor then helped me think through the pro’s and cons of each and eventually I was able to make a decision and that has lead me to my first role in IT. I am an On-site technician and I am l-o-v-i-n-g IT! I learn something new every day and for the first time in a long time I feel passion for my job again. I went into the program having 0 experience in the field of IT and now I am working to build my future in this field and Eleven Fifty gave me the super strong foundation to build on. The future is bright and I can not wait to see where this journey takes me.
  • Tom  User Photo
    Tom • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had a terrible experience and would not recommend the EFA online school.  I don't know anything about the in-person school, but I have heard some of the on-line instructors have moved to in-person learning, so I would expect a similar experience there.  If you look at their instructor profiles on their website:  https://elevenfifty.org/about/our-team/ , they are all recent EFA grads with no experience in teaching or coding.  As far as the executive staff...ignore them, because they will most certainly ignore you.  One of the Senior Instructor's profile starts with "I attended EFA as a student with no coding background...then became an instructor with EFA."  The instructor for 2/3 of my school was not, and still is not listed on their website and looked like he was teaching from his mom's basement.  We were constantly dealing with barking dogs, crying kids and his computer issues.  My biggest complaint is that they don't provide you the material or the instruction to learn, they give you topics and you are expected to go out and find sources to learn.   They use a "watch me code" approach to teaching, but the instructors don't explain what they are doing, and the examples they use were made up and the "Apps" they created had no functionality.   During the entire bootcamp they never showed how to create and deploy a real webpage or app.  EFA works hard to get funding so your school will be free, and they treat you like a freeloader.  Only 4 of the original 30 students graduated, and each new section of our school was backfilled with people who failed out of previous classes.  The graduation and hire statistics on their websites are not accurate, not even close.  During my bootcamp there were 22 instructor led classes and 34 lab classes with no instruction, 2/3 of the 24 week school only had 8 instructor led classes, 4 hours each.  As far as a Portfolio...it was never mentioned again after the first section (1/3) of the school was completed, which only glossed over HTML, CSS and JavaScript.   After the Bootcamp the staff initially responded to my emailed questions, but never followed up with responses and I have never heard from them since.  Other students didn't even get a response at all.   The only job placement they help with is hiring learning assistants for EFA.   I purchased a Udemy React course from Academind and learned React in 3 weeks, save yourself a ton of frustration and bypass EFA, you'll end up buying a Udemy course anyway!
  • Denise Kruse  User Photo
    Denise Kruse • Technical Specialist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    When our world changed drastically due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was the catalyst for me to pursue my passion and rethink my career. I enrolled in the Eleven Fifty Academy to hone in on my web development skills, and thanks to the skills I learned in the course and the amazing career services team, within less than three months after graduation, I landed an amazing job in the tech field!

I truly can't say enough positive things about Eleven Fifty Academy. The course instructors were incredible. The course work was relevant and challenging, and the instructors often made time outside of class hours to assist with questions and help troubleshoot. I sincerely feel that the web development course prepared me with the skills necessary for me to enter a brand new career in tech. After graduation, the support from career services was integral to my new career. Not only did they offer resume assistance, but the preparation and job lead connections they provided were above and beyond.

I would recommend Eleven Fifty Academy to any one who is interested in a career in tech regardless of age or ability. Looking back, the only advice I would give myself would be to enroll sooner!

Eleven Fifty Academy Outcomes

Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 38 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.