Start the conversation with Designlab.Request Info >

Recent Designlab Reviews: Rating 4.91

all (59) reviews for Designlab →

1 Campus

User Experience DesignOnlinePart Time10 Hours/week

In this 4-week online course, you'll learn the basics of UX, and user-centered design, explore the core research techniques professionals use to gain customer insight, and get experience by working on hands-on projects, develop your UX portfolio, creating deliverables like personas, storyboards, customer journey maps, & empathy maps, and work with your own expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end of this course, you'll know all about user research, and have a toolkit of methods you can use throughout your career. You'll have a strong portfolio of work and crucial real experience to draw upon for interviews. Whether you want a career in UX/UI Design, or you just want to build better products, this course is the perfect next step.

User Experience DesignOnlinePart Time10 Hours/week

In this 4-week online course you’ll develop an eye for seeing, and a language for talking about, interaction design. You'll become familiar with human interface guidelines, principles of usability and fundamental interaction design details. You'll also practice evaluating if and how interactions can be improved. Finally, you'll develop a portfolio to demonstrate your interaction design prowess. As with all Designlab courses, you'll work 1-on-1 with an expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end, you’ll have an interaction design toolkit for evaluating and improving the usability of your products. You’ll have examples of your process and work that you can speak to and draw on in related projects. This course is especially useful to anyone looking to develop better communication of and confidence in their interaction design work, and for folks looking to develop their ability to understand and work with product designers.

User Experience DesignOnlinePart Time10 Hours/week

The Branding & Identity Design course will prepare students to design and establish visual identities and brand standards across a variety of mediums. The course will help the designer look beyond logo design and acquire a fundamental understanding of the aspects of designing a brand system that is scalable and replicable, regardless of application. In this 4-week online course, you'll design a logo and apply the logo across a variety of platforms and applications, create a business overview, looking at your market competition and customers, develop a brand standards guide, in which you’ll define typographic, color, design and voice standards, and hone your skills & build your branding portfolio with a series of hands-on projects. Work with your own expert mentor, with written feedback on all your work and 4 Skype sessions. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong foundational skill set in branding that you can use to work on branding and identity design projects.

Design, User Experience DesignOnlinePart Time10 Hours/week

In this 4-week online course built for design beginners, you'll learn about the fundamentals of color theory, typography, and layout in web design, gain familiarity with the design tool of your choice (Photoshop, Sketch, or Illustrator), hone your skills & start building your portfolio with a series of hands-on projects, work with your own expert mentor, with written feedback on all your work and 4 Skype sessions. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong foundational skill set in design.

Beginner

UX Academy is an online design intensive, aimed at career-switchers looking to make the move into UX/UI/product design roles. You'll complete over 480 hours of coursework, develop a portfolio, and hone your skills through 1-on-1 mentorship, peer Group Critiques, and Career Services.

$399
Payment Plan
6 and 10-month payment plans
Design 101 or its equivalent (foundational skills in visual/graphic design); knowledge of at least one major design tool (Sketch, Photoshop, or Illustrator)
Application pre-requisites: https://help.trydesignlab.com/hc/en-us/articles/218228487-How-do-I-apply-to-UX-Academy-Are-there-any-prerequisites-for-the-program-
Dec 11, '17 -Jun 25, '18

5,999

OnlineFull Time

Application Deadline:December 4, 2017

Design, User Experience DesignOnlinePart Time10 Hours/week

In this 4-week online course you will: Learn basic typographic terminology, be able to distinguish differences between typefaces, be able to identify parts of letterforms, be equipped to decide which typeface to use, know how to set type for optimal legibility and clear hierarchy, and learn how to design and evaluate page layouts and control typographic aesthetics. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong foundational skill set in typography. There's a reason why they say that web design is 95% typography — considered type choices are an essential component of any layout. Learn the skills to make your designs stand out.

Design, User Experience DesignOnlinePart Time10 Hours/week

In this 4-week online course you will develop a detailed "eye" for visual design, learn to decide which typefaces to use, become equipped to choose and create color palettes, learn about best practices for UI patterns and reusable design components, and learn how to create retina-ready designs that scale across different devices. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong skillset in UI design. This course is intended as a follow-up to our Design 101 course, or for anyone who has a basic understanding of visual design principles. Students are expected to be acquainted with a professional design tool before they begin this class.

Application Deadline:November 30, 2017

Please submit this review with a valid email

You must provide a valid email to submit your review. Your review will not appear on the live Course Report site until you confirm it.

10/25/2017
Curtis Lee • Web developer • Applicant

Our latest on Designlab

• Your 2017 #LearnToCode New Year’s Resolution

Lauren Stewart7/21/2017

It’s that time again! A time to reflect on the year that is coming to an end, and a time to plan for what the New Year has in store. While it may be easy to beat yourself up about certain unmet goals, one thing is for sure: you made it through another year! And we bet you accomplished more than you think. Maybe you finished your first Codecademy class, made a 30-day Github commit streak, or maybe you even took a bootcamp prep course – so let’s cheers to that! But if learning to code is still at the top of your Resolutions List, then taking the plunge into a coding bootcamp may be the best way to officially cross it off. We’ve compiled a list of stellar schools offering full-time, part-time, and online courses with start dates at the top of the year. Five of these bootcamps even have scholarship money ready to dish out to aspiring coders like you.

Continue Reading →
  • Alumni Spotlight: Dalton Mitchell, Designlab

Liz Eggleston4/30/2015

Dalton Mitchell works as an IT Manager, but struggled with the more aesthetic side of design. Without quitting his job or taking on the financial burden of full-time bootcamps, Dalton decided to join Designlab, a part-time, mentor-driven, online learning platform. Having completed the Design 101 course, Dalton tells us about finding a career path that he loves and how Designlab helped him develop his skills while fitting his learning style, schedule, and price range.

What were you up to before you decided to take the Design 101 Designlab course?

I graduated in 2002 with an Associate degree. I took one semester in website design in a general computer technology program. I love coding and building websites and connecting over the web. The aesthetic and design aspects of coding were really difficult for me, though. I liked print design, but it was difficult for me to translate that into something that I could actually produce on the web- I really needed the foundations in web design.

Did you work full-time while you took the Designlab course?

Yes. I work as a developer and the “IT guy” at a very small plant that builds steel framing for construction buildings. The company has an intranet application for all employees, which started as a PHP app, so I came in to build that. After the Designlab class, because I now have more design skills and front end skills, I’m trying to focus on the interface and UX of the intranet.

Where are you currently based?

I live in the Sacramento area.

Why did you decide on an online program? Did you ever consider doing an in-person bootcamp in San Francisco?

Price was a really big factor. For a couple of years I tried to freelance on my own. It was a good learning experience but financially it really put me in a hole and that made it more difficult to afford a bootcamp.

Designlab was a nice alternative because I got project-based and mentored learning, but they were really nice with me and even let me pay weekly.

Was there an application process at Designlab?

When I did Designlab, it was still pretty new. I was skeptical because money was tight so I wanted to make sure it was going to be worth my while. Designlab has a couple of simple projects before signing up. I did those and I got familiar with their whole interface before signing up. It was really what I was looking for.

How did you get matched with a mentor?

At that time, Designlab had you fill out a small profile, then they assigned you with someone. My case was a little bit unique because my mentor got a really good job and his schedule got kind of hectic. We had some issues getting our schedules to connect, so they matched me with another mentor, Hope.

Who was Hope and what was she like as a mentor?

Hope had just left her design job at Visa and she now works at a startup in San Francisco called Quettra.

She realized that I had some experience and I had some big gaps. She started with some basic feedback but she realized that I had a lot of specific questions.

I wanted to see what it was like to work as a designer and I wanted to learn the the day-to-day workflow as much as I could in 4 weeks. I wanted a little more critical feedback because I wanted to prove myself, so she was really good about pointing out things I didn’t think about. She understood really quickly what I was looking for and tailored her feedback to that.

How did you and Hope communicate during mentor sessions?

At the time, I had a really old laptop and I’m in a rural area so Wi-Fi can be spotty sometimes. Google Hangouts ended up working best for us. She was willing to work with me.

How many times do you meet with your mentor during the 4 weeks?

You end up meeting once a week, usually for about an hour.

How do you work through the Designlab curriculum?

Designlab gives us a curriculum and I worked through the curriculum on my own. Hope and I did communicate throughout the week. I would send her emails as I was working on things to just ask questions, get some feedback and get direction on what I was doing.

Then in the hour long session we would discuss any real glaring questions I had. She would also leave feedback through the Designlab platform as I submitted projects.

Did you ever interact with other students in the program?

The Designlab interface is set up like a little social network where you can comment on other students’ submissions. Seeing what everybody else is working on is motivating.

I liked that we learned from our mentors but also learned from seeing everyone else’s work and other mentors’ feedback. I would spend a couple of hours every week going through to see what everyone else was working on and the feedback they got. It wasn’t the same type of communication we would experience sitting in the same room, but we still got a chance to interact with other students.

Can you tell us about one of the projects that you worked on at Designlab?

The first week, you start off with a really simple project building a landing/marketing page for a fictional product through Designlab’s platform. That platform is a stripped-down, web-based version of a program like Sketch or Photoshop; but it’s built in the web.

I chose a fictional application. Some other people chose projects that they wanted to make in the future.

We spent the rest of the course defining the brand and thinking about color choices, layout, our mission statement and how to reflect the mission statement in the landing page. We took each steps incrementally so you really see the process that leads to a final design. The final project is to actually mock up that landing page using everything you’ve learned.

Since your skill set was in back-end development, this seems very complementary.

It was perfect for me because I had some experience using Photoshop and Illustrator, but I didn't have those fundamentals that you might pick up in art or design school. I could make buttons all day long and they would still not look right because I did not understand hierarchy or how to use white space effectively. When you pick it up on your own, it’s easy to skip those fundamentals.

How many hours a week were spent on Designlab?

I would probably read for at least an hour every day. Towards the end of the week I would start getting into the software and start building things.

What did you create for your final project?

I made a landing page for a fictional Windows phone app because it was new. I had a sample phone asset so I built a mockup of the application to use as the phone image.

We were told that if we really want to be a designer, we should think about the details.  I thought through what the app would look like on the actual phone, then mocked it up so I could have screenshots. I spent probably 10 hours throughout the week working on that- I did a little bit more because I really wanted my final project to be something I was proud of.

How have you been able to incorporate your Designlab skills into your fulltime job now?

I do mostly development at my job, but a couple of weeks ago I got to spend a whole week doing design work. A lot of what I learned at Designlab was design thinking and that helped my development style. Now I’m able to plan out my ideas on the whiteboard first, even if I’m just working with data. It makes my code cleaner and made me more focused.

I knew I wanted to start on the design career path, but I didn’t really know where to start. I didn’t know where to apply for jobs, how my skills would be evaluated, and what to improve on. Now I know what areas I need to work on, what areas I’m comfortable showing potential employers, and what kinds of jobs I actually want to work in.

Are you now ready to start applying for designer jobs?

I’m getting there. I reached out to a designer I really like from a podcast called Design Details, which is done by Bryn Jackson and Brian Lovin. I met with Brian, showed him some of the apps that I’d been working on at work, got some feedback on where I am, where I need to be, and some motivation to keep going. He encouraged me to do more side projects, which I have done. It’s important to have live projects that you can show employers. Side projects also reveal how much hard work design really takes. I understand that now, but I’ve also learned that I’ve got what it takes and I don’t need to be afraid of it and back down.

Would you take another class with Designlab?

Yes, I’m currently taking their Branding & Identity Design course. One of the things that’s helped me get better at design is finding constraints. Branding is something I’m passionate about because you have to find a company’s identity; you really have to take a whole company and all of their stakeholders, their history and competition and consider all of it. I know it’s difficult but I really like that challenge. I’m comfortable with my design skills now overall but I’d like to find something that I can specialize in.

Good luck on the new design career path!

From talking with mentors at Designlab and the designers I’ve reached out to, I understand that I need to be patient and focus and that there are tons of positions out there. I just need to wait for the right opportunity.

Before I took the course and started to pursue this in a serious way, I thought I would just be making things pretty and making logos. Now I know where I want to be and I know the position I’m going to be happy in. I’m going to find a position that I love and until then I’ll keep learning.

To learn more about the online, mentored design school, check out the Designlab website!