designlab-logo

Designlab

Designlab

Designlab teaches in-demand UX/UI design skills online through 4-week short courses and a 15 to 28-week UX Academy. Designlab courses consist primarily of hands-on projects and 1-on-1 mentorship from expert designers so that students can master the techniques needed to design stunning web and mobile products. The Designlab community of mentors gives students timely feedback on work and Skype with students regularly to help them improve. Mentors include top industry professionals from companies like Twitter, Airbnb, Dropbox, and more. Courses are self-paced, which means students can complete the readings/projects whenever their schedules permit. Designlab is ideal for a developer, product manager, entrepreneur, marketer, aspiring designer, or anyone working on web/mobile products.

To apply for the UX Academy, applicants need to fill out an online application, and schedule a call with a Designlab representative. Applicants should have a love of good design, a grounding in design fundamentals, and commitment and resilience.

Graduates of the UX Academy work with a career coach to get help with their portfolios, job applications, and interview technique. Top graduates also get access to Designlab's hiring partners and exclusive job opportunities. Designlab offers a 6-month tuition-reimbursement guarantee for graduates of the UX Academy who are job hunting.

Recent Designlab Reviews: Rating 4.81

all (223) reviews for Designlab →

Recent Designlab News

• Design 101

Start Date March 5, 2021
    In this 4-week online course built for design beginners, you'll learn about the fundamentals of color theory, typography, and layout in web design, gain familiarity with the design tool of your choice (Photoshop, Sketch, or Illustrator), hone your skills & start building your portfolio with a series of hands-on projects, work with your own expert mentor, with written feedback on all your work and 4 Skype sessions. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong foundational skill set in design.
  • UI Design

Start Date March 5, 2021
    In this 4-week online course you will develop a detailed "eye" for visual design, learn to decide which typefaces to use, become equipped to choose and create color palettes, learn about best practices for UI patterns and reusable design components, and learn how to create retina-ready designs that scale across different devices. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong skillset in UI design. This course is intended as a follow-up to our Design 101 course, or for anyone who has a basic understanding of visual design principles. Students are expected to be acquainted with a professional design tool before they begin this class.
  • UX Academy Foundations

Start Date March 8, 2021
    Looking to transition your career into the world of UX/UI design? Learning visual and UI design is a great place to start. Through our flexible, 4-8 week UX Academy Foundations course, you'll work 1-on-1 with an expert mentor to learn key visual design concepts and practical skills. Your mentor will give you written feedback on all your work and also meet with you for 8 personalized sessions to further discuss concepts, project work, and the UX/UI industry in general. By the end, you'll have completed a final design challenge which you can use in your application for UX Academy to showcase your newfound knowledge and skills.
    March 8, 2021 - Online
  • UX Academy (Full-time)

Start Date March 22, 2021
    UX Academy is an online design intensive, aimed at career-switchers looking to make the move into UX/UI/product design roles. You'll complete over 480 hours of coursework, develop a portfolio, and hone your skills through 1-on-1 mentorship, peer Group Critiques, and Career Services.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans6 month internal payment plan and extended plans financed by Climb Credit
    Minimum Skill LevelDesign 101 or its equivalent (foundational skills in visual/graphic design); knowledge of at least one major design tool (Sketch, Photoshop, or Illustrator)
    Prep WorkApplication pre-requisites: https://help.trydesignlab.com/hc/en-us/articles/218228487-How-do-I-apply-to-UX-Academy-Are-there-any-prerequisites-for-the-program-
    March 22, 2021 - Online Apply by March 12, 2021
  • UX Academy (Part-time)

Start Date March 22, 2021
    March 22, 2021 - Online Apply by March 12, 2021
  • UX: Interaction Design

User Experience Design
    Start Date March 5, 2021
    In this 4-week online course you’ll develop an eye for seeing, and a language for talking about, interaction design. You'll become familiar with human interface guidelines, principles of usability and fundamental interaction design details. You'll also practice evaluating if and how interactions can be improved. Finally, you'll develop a portfolio to demonstrate your interaction design prowess. As with all Designlab courses, you'll work 1-on-1 with an expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end, you’ll have an interaction design toolkit for evaluating and improving the usability of your products. You’ll have examples of your process and work that you can speak to and draw on in related projects. This course is especially useful to anyone looking to develop better communication of and confidence in their interaction design work, and for folks looking to develop their ability to understand and work with product designers.
  • UX Research & Strategy

User Experience Design
    Start Date March 5, 2021
    In this 4-week online course, you'll learn the basics of UX, and user-centered design, explore the core research techniques professionals use to gain customer insight, and get experience by working on hands-on projects, develop your UX portfolio, creating deliverables like personas, storyboards, customer journey maps, & empathy maps, and work with your own expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end of this course, you'll know all about user research, and have a toolkit of methods you can use throughout your career. You'll have a strong portfolio of work and crucial real experience to draw upon for interviews. Whether you want a career in UX/UI Design, or you just want to build better products, this course is the perfect next step.
  • Review
    - 1/11/2021
    I’ve learned some of the most important parts of UX design. Now I’m more confident in knowing how to conduct research and generate artifacts. Within the course I had an ability to organize mini research and analyze all the data and insight into artifacts. I’ve never done it before and it was an amazing experience. After this course I understand better the importance of the research and now I know how much better the product can be, if we follow step by step product development process.
  • A good start
    - 11/20/2020
    This is a good way to get into UX design, especially if you have no design experience. The course takes you through all the main principles together with great assignments.  A huge plus of this course is that you get assigned a mentor with whom you’ll be having weekly 1:1 sessions to go through your work and also get answers for any questions you may have regarding working in UX.
  • Anonymous • UX design student • Graduate
    Completing UX Academy Foundation has prepared me immensely for the DesignLab UX Academy bootcamp. Not only it gave me solid foundation in design principles, but also time management and the discipline needed prior the UX bootcamp. Highly recommend this course if you're considering DesignLab UX Academy bootcamp!
    I had a great experience in Designlab's UX Academy Foundations. I learned a look of basics about both UX/UI design, which has helped me quite a bit in my current UX Academy bootcamp. I love that the course is entirely self-paced, so it worked around my schedule. My weekly mentor calls helped me stay on track and provided personalized guidance on my projects. I also found the admissions and support staff to be extremely helpful.
    I attended Designlab’s beta UX Academy Foundations course over the summer of 2020. I had just gotten laid off due to covid and thought why not take the opportunity to finally change careers. I had a successful fashion design background that I’d been thinking about moving away from over the years, envious of other colleagues finding greener pastures. Never one to throw in the towel, it was finally my turn.

In my new career I wanted to utilize my visual design skills and my problem solving development skills. When reading about UX/UI design it sounded like something I could handle and hopefully excel at. I signed up for Designlab’s Design101 course first, and prepared by learning figma in Designlab’s little 7 day email course. By the end of the week I had a little mobile app prototype, and a small taste of the agile environment I was about to step into. I was hooked.

When Designlab asked if I’d be interested to try their new beta UX academy foundations course instead of design101, I took their word for it and jumped in.

The course runs 2-8 weeks, with mentor sessions once a week. I thought with my design background it would be easy. It was a lot of hard work and took dedicated time. I ended up finishing it in 5 weeks.

Foundations consists of original and outsourced reading materials, copywork of popular sites, with creative design projects every chapter. It really helped build a strong UI foundation to build upon outside of UX academy.

I think it was exactly what I needed to push me to learn and cover a wide range quickly. Did I need to supplement with outside materials? Yes, it only skims the surface to whet your appetite and give you confidence to go in deeper on your own. Did I enjoy it and think it was worth it? Yes!

At the beginning of this year I decided that I wanted to make a career change into the field of UX from teaching. Without having a design background I was intimidated to say the least. Designlab's 4 week Ux Foundations course gave me the background and confidence to apply for their UX Academy program that I am two projects away from finishing. The course was extremely helpful and my mentor was awesome. Thank you Designlab!
    Coming from someone that was hesitant to learn online, I would highly recommend DesignLab! UX Academy Foundations gave me an invaluable experience in a short amount of time. The curriculum is a great introductory course to learn the fundamentals of UI and the assignments are super fun. The community support and the 1:1 mentorship exceeded my expectations and I believe it is the reason why Designlab continues to have great reviews. If you are looking for an affordable program to start your UX/UI Design journey, choose Designlab!
    This course was great as a prerequisite to Designlab's UX Academy bootcamp. The mentorship program was awesome and reassured first-time design students like me whenever I had questions regarding the projects or design concepts. The community was so friendly and encouraging, and staff members were always available via Slack or email and responded to questions in a timely manner. The curriculum was good, albeit a bit reading heavy. Overall a great course and I would totally recommend it.
    Designlab Foundations was an awesome way to enter the world of UX/UI. Not only did I learn an absolute ton, but the projects were also super enjoyable and fun as well! I found myself excited about whatever was coming my way each week. I got assigned a mentor that was there for me every step of the way and gave me valuable tips on every aspect of product design. I definitely recommend it!
  • UX Foundations
    - 11/13/2020
    The UX Foundations Course is an excellent, intensive class to learn design basics for someone looking to switch careers without any design background at all. The learning materials gave me what I needed gradually and intuitively and I'm excited to move to the UX Academy.
    While I was in UX Foundations, I thought I would be only learning about brief UI designs. However, as I moved through the curriculums, I was so surprised that all the curriculums were so helpful for building foundations for both UI and UX.
    What I really liked about UX Foundation is that I could experience hands-on projects whenever I learn something. As I worked on projects, I could get the feel of how UI/UX designers would work, and learn deeply about how to apply the contents that I've learned to a real design.
    Also, you are not alone during the UX Foundations. There's a helpful mentor who gives you detailed advice and encouragements throughout the course. Moreover, you get to meet so many peers who you can talk to and build up connections with them!
    I highly encourage people to this course!!
  • Design 101
    - 11/13/2020
    Design 101 course was very well structured. I would recommend this course to everyone who is interested in design.