designlab-logo

Designlab

Designlab

Designlab teaches in-demand UX/UI design skills online through 4-week short courses and a 15 to 28-week UX Academy. Designlab courses consist primarily of hands-on projects and 1-on-1 mentorship from expert designers so that students can master the techniques needed to design stunning web and mobile products. The Designlab community of mentors gives students timely feedback on work and Skype with students regularly to help them improve. Mentors include top industry professionals from companies like Twitter, Airbnb, Dropbox, and more. Courses are self-paced, which means students can complete the readings/projects whenever their schedules permit. Designlab is ideal for a developer, product manager, entrepreneur, marketer, aspiring designer, or anyone working on web/mobile products.

To apply for the UX Academy, applicants need to fill out an online application, and schedule a call with a Designlab representative. Applicants should have a love of good design, a grounding in design fundamentals, and commitment and resilience.

Graduates of the UX Academy work with a career coach to get help with their portfolios, job applications, and interview technique. Top graduates also get access to Designlab's hiring partners and exclusive job opportunities. Designlab offers a 6-month tuition-reimbursement guarantee for graduates of the UX Academy who are job hunting.

Recent Designlab Reviews: Rating 4.73

all (126) reviews for Designlab →

Recent Designlab News

• Design 101

Start Date October 2, 2020
    In this 4-week online course built for design beginners, you'll learn about the fundamentals of color theory, typography, and layout in web design, gain familiarity with the design tool of your choice (Photoshop, Sketch, or Illustrator), hone your skills & start building your portfolio with a series of hands-on projects, work with your own expert mentor, with written feedback on all your work and 4 Skype sessions. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong foundational skill set in design.
  • UI Design

Start Date October 2, 2020
    In this 4-week online course you will develop a detailed "eye" for visual design, learn to decide which typefaces to use, become equipped to choose and create color palettes, learn about best practices for UI patterns and reusable design components, and learn how to create retina-ready designs that scale across different devices. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong skillset in UI design. This course is intended as a follow-up to our Design 101 course, or for anyone who has a basic understanding of visual design principles. Students are expected to be acquainted with a professional design tool before they begin this class.
  • UX Academy (Full-time)

Design, User Experience Design
    UX Academy is an online design intensive, aimed at career-switchers looking to make the move into UX/UI/product design roles. You'll complete over 480 hours of coursework, develop a portfolio, and hone your skills through 1-on-1 mentorship, peer Group Critiques, and Career Services.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans6 month internal payment plan and extended plans financed by Climb Credit
    Minimum Skill LevelDesign 101 or its equivalent (foundational skills in visual/graphic design); knowledge of at least one major design tool (Sketch, Photoshop, or Illustrator)
    Prep WorkApplication pre-requisites: https://help.trydesignlab.com/hc/en-us/articles/218228487-How-do-I-apply-to-UX-Academy-Are-there-any-prerequisites-for-the-program-
  • UX Academy (Part-time)

• UX: Interaction Design

User Experience Design
    Start Date October 2, 2020
    In this 4-week online course you’ll develop an eye for seeing, and a language for talking about, interaction design. You'll become familiar with human interface guidelines, principles of usability and fundamental interaction design details. You'll also practice evaluating if and how interactions can be improved. Finally, you'll develop a portfolio to demonstrate your interaction design prowess. As with all Designlab courses, you'll work 1-on-1 with an expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end, you’ll have an interaction design toolkit for evaluating and improving the usability of your products. You’ll have examples of your process and work that you can speak to and draw on in related projects. This course is especially useful to anyone looking to develop better communication of and confidence in their interaction design work, and for folks looking to develop their ability to understand and work with product designers.
  • UX Research & Strategy

User Experience Design
    Start Date October 2, 2020
    In this 4-week online course, you'll learn the basics of UX, and user-centered design, explore the core research techniques professionals use to gain customer insight, and get experience by working on hands-on projects, develop your UX portfolio, creating deliverables like personas, storyboards, customer journey maps, & empathy maps, and work with your own expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end of this course, you'll know all about user research, and have a toolkit of methods you can use throughout your career. You'll have a strong portfolio of work and crucial real experience to draw upon for interviews. Whether you want a career in UX/UI Design, or you just want to build better products, this course is the perfect next step.
  • Vie Pereira  User Photo
    Vie Pereira • UX Design Masters Student • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My mentor Jessica was really excellent, and went above and beyond to tailor the course to my own project interests. The emphasis on design critique and iteration was fantastic, as so few online short courses have this feature! Generally, the content itself was well curated, relevant and heavily focused on the practical application of skills through projects, so you have a valuable set of projects to add to a personal portfolio, should you so wish to do so.

The only caveat would be that you get out from this course what you put in - so to anyone thinking of doing a DesignLab short course, my recommendation would be to thoroughly review their Sketch/Figma/XD tutorials beforehand, and make sure you're well acquainted with the design tool of your choice before you begin!
  • Amanda So  User Photo
    Amanda So • Visual Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    A huge incentive to choosing Designlab was the mentorship. Though I chose the 4 week short course, it was great to know that I would have a mentor throughout the course available to help me with concepts in the lessons, providing me feedback on my projects, challenge me, and meeting with me in one-on-one 1 hour sessions. That and the fact that I would be working with someone in the field--a Designlab success story--gave me the accountability I needed to complete this course. My mentor was a Designlab alum and I think I especially benefitted from that because she had a reference to great mentorship to provide mentorship and confidence to me. I was concurrently taking an Interaction Design course through Coursera which is $40 per month and the difference between the engagement I had was huge.

The UX of the lessons made the concepts easily digestible and each lesson was supplemented with projects which really benefited my understanding of the material. I would say that the lesson on heuristics needed further Googling to supplement my understanding; my Coursera course was also a huge help for supplementing this section but otherwise all concepts were well explained through the lessons and projects. The time estimates I feel were not always accurate as I definitely spent more time on each project due to my own slow process or having addressing my mentor's feedback for revisions on my projects. I believe that you definitely put in the amount of time and effort that ultimately aligns with your goals and I definitely wanted to put in my best professional foot forward for every project. I enjoyed the challenges of the projects and it was particularly useful to have other classmate work and their mentors' feedback visible; it reminds me of the critiques that would take place in in-person design classes.

While the course claims to provide projects to add to your portfolio, I think it honestly provides you all the different pieces for a single but complete case study to add to your portfolio. I'm really happy I dived into this course, it was one of the most fulfilling 4-weeks I've had and definitely opens me up to the idea of taking the bootcamp with Designlab once I decide whether a job change is my goal. Shout out to Olga A. for being an amazing mentor! Get you a mentor genuinely wants you to succeed!
  • Design101
    - 8/6/2020
    Sam Davidowitz-Neu  User Photo
    Sam Davidowitz-Neu • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Great Course, highly reccomend to anyone looking for an affordable introduction to the fundamental components of UX/UI Design
  • Vanessa  User Photo
    Vanessa • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    A great asset of this course is that you get a mentor to support you. You have 4 live sessions with the mentor and you also get written feedback on your tasks/projects through the platform. You'll be able to see how fellow students tackle the tasks via the platform. The mentor has been great for my motivation and to keep going and improving. The fact that you are doing hands-on projects makes you learn by doing, my favorite way of learning. You also learn whenever you want (morning, evening, daytime) whatever fits best and that's great as it offers great flexibility.

Even though it says around 10 hours per week of work, you spend more time on the hands-on tasks if you want to do them good to be able to show a portfolio piece. The theory is easy to take in (well structure, in bite-size chunks of 20min mostly), but for the tasks/projects, you often spend more than the time they estimate.
  • UI Design
    - 5/8/2020
    Erick Solares  User Photo
    Erick Solares • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    The course really surpassed my expectations, great support, Peter was my mentor and he was great, I learnt a lot from him, having a mentor is very important, the course was well structure and overall very happy that I was able to attend the course. And Emma on admissions was very helpful as well.
  • Amazing Course!
    - 5/5/2020
    Santos Sanchez Olmo  User Photo
    Santos Sanchez Olmo • Product Designer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have learned a lot with this course, it is great that you can talk to a specialist mentor in the sector every week during the course to receive feedback. The temary is correct, although the design can improve, the examples of the exercises could be improved. For the rest everything is great!
  • Jesse Bandfield  User Photo
    Jesse Bandfield • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    As with any bootcamp, you really get out what you put in. From my perspective, Designlab did a great job of setting me up well. When my mentor had a family emergency and had to step back, DL provided a flawless transition to a new mentor and gave me an extra mentor session. Although the course went by quickly, the material was holistic yet relevant and worked well towards the final project. From my mentor I felt challenged as well as encouraged, and have a much better sense of the UX industry and possible avenues to check out based on my own strengths and interests.

Being a perfectionist meant I spent much more time than what they estimated on the work. If I didn't have extra time to devote to this course, it would have been difficult to prioritize my time and finish everything well. Highly recommend!
  • Design101 Review
    - 2/1/2020
    Tony  User Photo
    Tony • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    When starting this program, I was a nervous because I wasn't sure what I was getting my self into. I majored with a business degree, but I wanted a change in my career in design. I was recommended by my cousin about Design101 and did some more research on it. I decided to go for it and took Design101 and see where it will take me. Once I was in the program, I was given a mentor to help me throughout my course of 4 weeks. This was really helpful because I never had a mentor before, and working with a mentor was the greatest thing that happen. I was given tips and advices from working professional, and they were able to give me critique on my projects. I really enjoyed the challenges that Design101 presented, and learned a lot from it.
  • Mary Garcia  User Photo
    Mary Garcia • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I chose design 101 specifically for its connection to mentors in the UX Design field, and was not disappointed. My mentor (Robbin Arcega) went above and beyond to offer me advice on any and all topics we discussed (as they correlated to UX Design) during our weekly 1-on-1s. Beyond that she taught me to practice efficiency and how to prioritize my goals, even providing a rundown of Design jobs and the hiring cycle of design companies.
    That having been said, I would not have found this experience nearly as beneficial without my mentor. Understanding that this is a 101 class that focused mainly on the basics of UX Design, I think there was so much crammed into such a short amount of time, that I was mostly just overwhelmed with information without much of an opportunity to practically apply it. Regardless, I would recommend the course to those considering the UX Design field, with the caveat that they MUST be proactive and engaged with their mentor.

• Doug  User Photo
    Doug • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I chose to jump into UX Academy hoping to change careers into UX/Product Design. I had weighed between Bloc and Designlab at the time and chose Designlab in order to wholly focus on UX Design. So I paid the upfront $5200 to start my journey. I was excited to start and was expecting a well thought out format in teaching and learning about the design process. However, after going through the complete course I can say that there was not much value beyond what could be found through viewing other graduates online portfolios and following the process much like they do (supplemented by free sources online).

The best part of my experience with Designlab was the mentorship. My mentor was amazing and was able to help me understanding what part of the process is relevant and important to focus on. There were a lot of things he would explain that the course itself would not share.

The other good thing about the course is getting you to have a discipline to stay on course and focus on product design for a certain amount of time. It pushed me to learn and practice everything, which otherwise I probably wouldn't.

Beyond those two things, there was not much value that Designlab put forth is being able to help you swtich careers. There would be group critique sessions that would not be entirely helpful as critiques were coming from other students who are just learning as well. There are one facilitator that would provide great feedback, however, the focus would be for other students to participate so the feedback would be limited.

The 3 capstone projects during Phase 2 of the course are great projects to get you to practice everything. However, the prompts are simple and you could do these without having to actually go through the course.

For a UX bootcamp, there are also a lot of UX issues with their online platform. It can get frustrating to navigate and actually keep track of things.

Finally, if you're hoping to stay eligible for tuition reimbursement after 6-months of job searching, make sure you follow their eligibility requirements perfectly. If you miss one thing in any way, they will not sympathize with you. They will find any excuse to not get you your refund. They are incredibly dismissive and have personally made me feel like I was an afterthought.

After graduating, career services isn't so much service but more bookkeeping for their sake. The support here purely comes from your mentor.

After this experience, I somewhat regret spending an entire year with them and spending the $5200. I would suggest that perhaps it would be more worth your while to find alternative cheaper ways to learn the design process and work on your own projects. Alternatively, I believe an on-site course (despite the higher price) would be much better, as you would have instructors with you there at all times and fellow students to learn alongside.

I hope this helps whoever is hoping to change careers!

• Pierre  User Photo
    Pierre • Looking for a new job in design. • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

As I decided to change my carreer and to go into product design earlier this year, I was looking for some course to do such a thing. I went for designlab after trying their 7 days courses for Sketch and Figma. I tried other online course and looked through reviews but this school was the one I wanted to apply to.

In fact, I did the Design 101 course to get started in this new domain. It's my first online course and I was affraid of being alone with my computer, lessons and assesments to do. But no. Designlab is a nice course in which you're always surrounded by others students, mentors and staff. You can easily discuss about your assesments with someone else to avoid any issue. I do loved the fact a mentor helped me out during the whole course, I was able to share some and find new ressources thanks to the other students and the staff was allways here. To be honest, I had some issue with some documents and they helped me out in a few hours even if there's two oceans between us.

The best quality of this course is the fact you'll go in a binomial with your mentor. They'll be there to give you some advices, ways to work and feedbacks for all your assesment and you'll be able to discuss with them about their daily routine at work, share new ressources. The more you go into the course, the more they know you, your painpoints, your way to work and they can help you in the way you do need.

As I just finished this course, I'm already thinking of joining another one to keep improving my profile but, IMO, I got to stay with Designlab as they helped me out all the way down the coursework I had.

• Sarah  User Photo
    Sarah • User Research • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I recently completed UX Research & Strategy with DesignLabs and couldn't be more happy with the course!  I am newer into the User Research field and was looking for a course that would give me a solid foundation of what UX is all about and this course nailed it!

It's a four-week course; each week includes reading material, sometimes videos and small assignments that help you practice what you just learned that week.  The information is very digestible -- and I love that they offer some additional resources at the end of each topic, that if you're interested in digging deeper, you can!  I also love that the assignments help you practice what you're learning.

You're assigned a mentor - so each time you complete an assignment, your mentor reviews your work, comments on the submission and notes any additional work you might need to do in order to fully understand the concept.  I've found the communication via the DesignLabs platform and with my mentor to be extremely easy.

Also, with your mentor, you'll have weekly 1-on-1 sessions!  My mentor, Erika, was amazing! We were able to talk about what we just learned in the online course, the assignment as well as anything else that I needed to understand more of.  She is really fantastic and was MORE than what I could have hoped for.

This course gives a solid foundation of research methodologies as well as practical practice assignments that help you grasp the concepts more easily!