designlab-logo

Designlab

Designlab

Designlab teaches in-demand UX/UI design skills online through 4-week short courses and a 15 to 28-week UX Academy. Designlab courses consist primarily of hands-on projects and 1-on-1 mentorship from expert designers so that students can master the techniques needed to design stunning web and mobile products. The Designlab community of mentors gives students timely feedback on work and Skype with students regularly to help them improve. Mentors include top industry professionals from companies like Twitter, Airbnb, Dropbox, and more. Courses are self-paced, which means students can complete the readings/projects whenever their schedules permit. Designlab is ideal for a developer, product manager, entrepreneur, marketer, aspiring designer, or anyone working on web/mobile products.

To apply for the UX Academy, applicants need to fill out an online application, and schedule a call with a Designlab representative. Applicants should have a love of good design, a grounding in design fundamentals, and commitment and resilience.

Graduates of the UX Academy work with a career coach to get help with their portfolios, job applications, and interview technique. Top graduates also get access to Designlab's hiring partners and exclusive job opportunities. Designlab offers a 6-month tuition-reimbursement guarantee for graduates of the UX Academy who are job hunting.

Recent Designlab Reviews: Rating 4.79

all (180) reviews for Designlab →

Recent Designlab News

• Design 101

Start Date December 4, 2020
    In this 4-week online course built for design beginners, you'll learn about the fundamentals of color theory, typography, and layout in web design, gain familiarity with the design tool of your choice (Photoshop, Sketch, or Illustrator), hone your skills & start building your portfolio with a series of hands-on projects, work with your own expert mentor, with written feedback on all your work and 4 Skype sessions. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong foundational skill set in design.
  • UI Design

Start Date December 4, 2020
    In this 4-week online course you will develop a detailed "eye" for visual design, learn to decide which typefaces to use, become equipped to choose and create color palettes, learn about best practices for UI patterns and reusable design components, and learn how to create retina-ready designs that scale across different devices. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong skillset in UI design. This course is intended as a follow-up to our Design 101 course, or for anyone who has a basic understanding of visual design principles. Students are expected to be acquainted with a professional design tool before they begin this class.
  • UX Academy Foundations

Design, User Experience Design
    Looking to transition your career into the world of UX/UI design? Learning visual and UI design is a great place to start. Through our flexible, 4-8 week UX Academy Foundations course, you'll work 1-on-1 with an expert mentor to learn key visual design concepts and practical skills. Your mentor will give you written feedback on all your work and also meet with you for 8 personalized sessions to further discuss concepts, project work, and the UX/UI industry in general. By the end, you'll have completed a final design challenge which you can use in your application for UX Academy to showcase your newfound knowledge and skills.
  • UX Academy (Full-time)

Start Date December 14, 2020
    UX Academy is an online design intensive, aimed at career-switchers looking to make the move into UX/UI/product design roles. You'll complete over 480 hours of coursework, develop a portfolio, and hone your skills through 1-on-1 mentorship, peer Group Critiques, and Career Services.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans6 month internal payment plan and extended plans financed by Climb Credit
    Minimum Skill LevelDesign 101 or its equivalent (foundational skills in visual/graphic design); knowledge of at least one major design tool (Sketch, Photoshop, or Illustrator)
    Prep WorkApplication pre-requisites: https://help.trydesignlab.com/hc/en-us/articles/218228487-How-do-I-apply-to-UX-Academy-Are-there-any-prerequisites-for-the-program-
    December 14, 2020 - Online Apply by December 9, 2020
  • UX Academy (Part-time)

Start Date December 14, 2020
    December 14, 2020 - Online Apply by December 9, 2020
  • UX: Interaction Design

User Experience Design
    Start Date December 4, 2020
    In this 4-week online course you’ll develop an eye for seeing, and a language for talking about, interaction design. You'll become familiar with human interface guidelines, principles of usability and fundamental interaction design details. You'll also practice evaluating if and how interactions can be improved. Finally, you'll develop a portfolio to demonstrate your interaction design prowess. As with all Designlab courses, you'll work 1-on-1 with an expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end, you’ll have an interaction design toolkit for evaluating and improving the usability of your products. You’ll have examples of your process and work that you can speak to and draw on in related projects. This course is especially useful to anyone looking to develop better communication of and confidence in their interaction design work, and for folks looking to develop their ability to understand and work with product designers.
  • UX Research & Strategy

User Experience Design
    Start Date December 4, 2020
    In this 4-week online course, you'll learn the basics of UX, and user-centered design, explore the core research techniques professionals use to gain customer insight, and get experience by working on hands-on projects, develop your UX portfolio, creating deliverables like personas, storyboards, customer journey maps, & empathy maps, and work with your own expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end of this course, you'll know all about user research, and have a toolkit of methods you can use throughout your career. You'll have a strong portfolio of work and crucial real experience to draw upon for interviews. Whether you want a career in UX/UI Design, or you just want to build better products, this course is the perfect next step.
  • UX Academy
    - 11/20/2020
    Jen  User Photo
    Jen • Senior Designer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I am taking the UX Academy part time program, and feel this is giving me a good start on how UX process works and a step towards the field.
  • Melanie Berezoski  User Photo
    Melanie Berezoski • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Before UX, I had a background in graphic design, though that was learned on-the-job and on my own. I wanted to expand my horizons but I was intimidated. Many bootcamps I researched expected you to have a certain amount of knowledge or experience going into it.  They focused on ramping up already existing knowledge to take you to the next level in your career. I needed to focus on the basics. I wanted to feel confident that I'd have the understanding necessary to interact effectively with others in the industry, and of course, eventually land a job in UX! I wanted to walk the walk AND talk the talk. When I got the opportunity to participate in the UX Academy Foundations course I was through the moon. I eventually wanted to apply for the UX Academy so this seemed like the way to go. I quickly became immersed in the world of UX. I found that my design skills helped in some areas, and I learned a lot about whole new areas, like focus on the user, and making their experience number one, rather than just making it look good. I love that you're paired with a mentor right away and they give you insider knowledge and feedback. After the Foundations course, I did go ahead and apply for the UX Academy, and I got in! Now I can continue my learning in an area that excites me and teaches me something new every day! As the name implies, UX Academy Foundations gave me a great foundation for this journey.
  • Bash. L  User Photo
    Bash. L • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    When I was doing research for UI/UX, I stumbled upon Designlab's UX Site. After reviewing their courses I felt over whelmed due to my lack of knowledge in design. I have background in sales and was ill prepared if I went straight in to the UX Academy course. I applied for the Design 101 course and then was offered a chance to try the Beta UX Academy Foundations. After going back and forth with a representative i decided to go forward with the beta due to the fact it was designed to better prepare you for the UX Academy Course.  I had an amazing mentor who was extremely helpful and guided me to not only finishing my assignments but comprehending it's importance. After I was done for the course i applied to the Academy and as some one who is almost finish the course I am glad I took Foundations. I never felt behind with my assignments and it gave me more time to exam how i can be better. I definitely recommend UX Academy Foundations If you want to try out UI/UX and if you know absolutely nothing about design.
  • UX Foundations
    - 11/18/2020
    Camila Villon  User Photo
    Camila Villon • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This course is great, I believe is even better from Design 101. My mentor was very detailed, I learned a ton and a lot of the work I finished I ended up adding it to my graphic design portfolio. Also, I decided to stick with Design lab and do their UX Academy bootcamp.
  • Jimmy Shan  User Photo
    Jimmy Shan • UX Academy Foundations. • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    UX Academy Foundations was an amazing experience. Headed into the bootcamp, I did not know what I wanted to do in the future. I am currently a student at UCLA trying to figure my career out, and UX Academy Foundations provided me the tools, skills, and mentorship necessary to jump-start my career. Especially for an industry like UX Design, I think it's super necessary to have a framework to approach design problems. UX Academy Foundations provides this framework.
  • Sara  User Photo
    Sara • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I am currently doing the UX Academy course and have previously taken the UX Foundations course (beta).

Overall, I think it is a good learning experience for the amount invested. There were readings, assignments, and weekly mentor meetings. I felt that as a newcomer going into UX design with no design experience it was an adequate challenge -- not too easy or difficult and that I was well-supported throughout the course. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have a hard-time staying on track (although, this has been harder for me in UX Academy). I very much enjoyed the process of learning and applying what I learned right away to an actual assignment/project. Seeing my progress overtime was very rewarding as well.
  • Andy H.  User Photo
    Andy H. • Verified via LinkedIn
    Jumping into foundations I was able to learn Figma really quickly while also getting a great foundational knowledge of the design process. In Foundations, the emphasis is on learning the tools.  This helps you learn how to iterate very quickly with Figma or Sketch. All the lessons have both tools in mind throughout the course.

If you're preparing to do UX Academy through DesignLAB, Foundations is a great starting point if you have no experience with common design tools in the field. It gets you up to speed so when you get into Academy you're full speed into the program.
  • Jack Beil  User Photo
    Jack Beil • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I took the Designlab UX Foundations course as a primer to taking the UX Academy in which I am currently enrolled. Through the Foundations course, I was given a refresher on design fundamentals and also taught contemporary UI techniques. The course is structured in such a way that you make weekly progress and have weekly video calls with a mentor. I never needed the support team but I was given the impression that they are friendly, helpful, and readily available. Everyone I have dealt with there has been great. The course set me up for success to continue on and progress into the UX Academy. A great course to refresh a design background or transition completely into a new field. I would highly recommend Designlab in any capacity!
  • Hannah S  User Photo
    Hannah S • Student • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    There are so many bootcamp options out there, and it's such a huge financial commitment to jump into something you're not certain of. I really enjoyed the UXA Foundations course because it let me dip my toes into what UI work could look like. This course definitely leaned heavy on UI rather than UX, but having never taken any formal training in design it was really helpful to see all those principles laid out. Another really great feature is that you have meetings with a mentor where you can talk about your work but also career-type questions. If you're interested in the industry and aren't ready to commit a ton of cash and time, this is a great place to start.
  • Zoe  User Photo
    Zoe • Applicant • Verified via LinkedIn
    The content is definitely helping me in understanding the basics of visual design and how users would view an interface! I so glad to have learned about visual hierarchy, color and typography etc! Although with enrolling the course won't get me a job, it surly sets myself ready to learn about UX design and other design thinking strategy in UX Academy!
  • Chou Yang  User Photo
    Chou Yang • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I've been doing graphic design, web design, and design-adjacent things in my various job roles over the last 10 years, when I decided to make a career switch into UX design which lead me to DesignLab. The Academy Foundations course is meant to prepare you for their DesignLab Academy proper, which to be honest, I was a tad skeptical of how much value I would get from this "foundational" course. But I was shocked by how much I was learning and reestablishing in myself in just the first few weeks alone! The assignments were flexible enough that a beginner could handle, but tons of room for any experienced designers to challenge themselves.

Pros:
    - Good price for the value, and you get reimbursed for the course if you move on to take the DesignLab UX Academy course
    - Comes with a mentor to talk shop or get advice from, and they help ensure that you're applying what you learn correctly
    - A large and active community of students, support staff, and mentors on Slack
    - Includes group crit sessions to get you used to presenting your ideas and defending your design decisions in the "real world"
    - Includes lots of resources for learning how to use industry tools, and lots of partnerships with those tooling vendors to get those tools at a good price or for free
    - Lots of extra material that you can get to in your own time for furthering education after the course is over. (Throughout the course are tons of book, podcast, and blog recommendations, and DesignLab is always hosting webinars)

Cons
    - I honestly can't think of any