designlab-logo

Designlab

Designlab

Designlab teaches in-demand UX/UI design skills online through 4-week short courses and a 15 to 28-week UX Academy. Designlab courses consist primarily of hands-on projects and 1-on-1 mentorship from expert designers so that students can master the techniques needed to design stunning web and mobile products. The Designlab community of mentors gives students timely feedback on work and Skype with students regularly to help them improve. Mentors include top industry professionals from companies like Twitter, Airbnb, Dropbox, and more. Courses are self-paced, which means students can complete the readings/projects whenever their schedules permit. Designlab is ideal for a developer, product manager, entrepreneur, marketer, aspiring designer, or anyone working on web/mobile products.

To apply for the UX Academy, applicants need to fill out an online application, and schedule a call with a Designlab representative. Applicants should have a love of good design, a grounding in design fundamentals, and commitment and resilience.

Graduates of the UX Academy work with a career coach to get help with their portfolios, job applications, and interview technique. Top graduates also get access to Designlab's hiring partners and exclusive job opportunities. Designlab offers a 6-month tuition-reimbursement guarantee for graduates of the UX Academy who are job hunting.

Recent Designlab Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (232) reviews for Designlab →

Recent Designlab News

• Design 101

Design, User Experience Design
    In this 4-week online course built for design beginners, you'll learn about the fundamentals of color theory, typography, and layout in web design, gain familiarity with the design tool of your choice (Photoshop, Sketch, or Illustrator), hone your skills & start building your portfolio with a series of hands-on projects, work with your own expert mentor, with written feedback on all your work and 4 Skype sessions. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong foundational skill set in design.
  • UI Design

Design, User Experience Design
    In this 4-week online course you will develop a detailed "eye" for visual design, learn to decide which typefaces to use, become equipped to choose and create color palettes, learn about best practices for UI patterns and reusable design components, and learn how to create retina-ready designs that scale across different devices. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong skillset in UI design. This course is intended as a follow-up to our Design 101 course, or for anyone who has a basic understanding of visual design principles. Students are expected to be acquainted with a professional design tool before they begin this class.
  • UX Academy Foundations

Design, User Experience Design
    Looking to transition your career into the world of UX/UI design? Learning visual and UI design is a great place to start. Through our flexible, 4-8 week UX Academy Foundations course, you'll work 1-on-1 with an expert mentor to learn key visual design concepts and practical skills. Your mentor will give you written feedback on all your work and also meet with you for 8 personalized sessions to further discuss concepts, project work, and the UX/UI industry in general. By the end, you'll have completed a final design challenge which you can use in your application for UX Academy to showcase your newfound knowledge and skills.
  • UX Academy (Full-time)

Start Date March 22, 2021
    UX Academy is an online design intensive, aimed at career-switchers looking to make the move into UX/UI/product design roles. You'll complete over 480 hours of coursework, develop a portfolio, and hone your skills through 1-on-1 mentorship, peer Group Critiques, and Career Services.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans6 month internal payment plan and extended plans financed by Climb Credit
    Minimum Skill LevelDesign 101 or its equivalent (foundational skills in visual/graphic design); knowledge of at least one major design tool (Sketch, Photoshop, or Illustrator)
    Prep WorkApplication pre-requisites: https://help.trydesignlab.com/hc/en-us/articles/218228487-How-do-I-apply-to-UX-Academy-Are-there-any-prerequisites-for-the-program-
    March 22, 2021 - Online Apply by March 12, 2021
  • UX Academy (Part-time)

Start Date March 22, 2021
    March 22, 2021 - Online Apply by March 12, 2021
  • UX: Interaction Design

User Experience Design
    In this 4-week online course you’ll develop an eye for seeing, and a language for talking about, interaction design. You'll become familiar with human interface guidelines, principles of usability and fundamental interaction design details. You'll also practice evaluating if and how interactions can be improved. Finally, you'll develop a portfolio to demonstrate your interaction design prowess. As with all Designlab courses, you'll work 1-on-1 with an expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end, you’ll have an interaction design toolkit for evaluating and improving the usability of your products. You’ll have examples of your process and work that you can speak to and draw on in related projects. This course is especially useful to anyone looking to develop better communication of and confidence in their interaction design work, and for folks looking to develop their ability to understand and work with product designers.
  • UX Research & Strategy

User Experience Design
    In this 4-week online course, you'll learn the basics of UX, and user-centered design, explore the core research techniques professionals use to gain customer insight, and get experience by working on hands-on projects, develop your UX portfolio, creating deliverables like personas, storyboards, customer journey maps, & empathy maps, and work with your own expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end of this course, you'll know all about user research, and have a toolkit of methods you can use throughout your career. You'll have a strong portfolio of work and crucial real experience to draw upon for interviews. Whether you want a career in UX/UI Design, or you just want to build better products, this course is the perfect next step.
  • Martha Bawn  User Photo
    Martha Bawn • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I wasn't ready to go all in on a months-long bootcamp so this course was a good way to figure out if this was a career change I wanted to make. I really enjoyed the experience and got a lot out of it, especially the larger projects and mentorship sessions. Each unit consists of some reading material, video tutorials, copying exercises, and a design project. The last unit is just one big design project. You're paired with a mentor who gives written feedback on the projects and meets with you one-on-one for an hour for each unit (8 total). I thought the reading material was only okay, but the projects and mentorship sessions were great for getting a feel for what the work is like and learning to use the tools. Would definitely recommend this course.
  • Cindy  User Photo
    Cindy • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I think UXA Foundations was a great learning experience for me! I've taken some courses at Coursera and had some background in Figma prior to starting, so I wasn't sure how much I'd really learn from the course. The answer was A LOT! Each unit contains a couple projects to truly cement what I've learned, and my mentor gave me personalized feedback to help improve my designs. To be transparent, there was a good amount of copywork (copying existing designs) in the curriculum. They're a good way to get an understanding of how shipped designs are built and what tricks they use, and how to accomplish them on your own on a limited time frame. I got really good at using Figma this way! After each copywork assignment, you also got the chance to create your own designs (landing page, hero section, responsive webpage, etc.) and again get feedback from your mentor.

• Austin Silberman  User Photo
    Austin Silberman • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I just finished the Design Lab Foundations course, this was an awesome course with access to a mentor throughout the entire process. The course is very well laid out, each unit starts with some readings then you usually have multiple small assignments along with one larger project. The smaller assignments can take around 1-2 hours while the longer projects are usually around 3-4 hours with the final project being 10 hours. I love the simplicity in this course layout, I was able to start each day by doing the readings then working through the assignments, finishing the course in about 3 weeks. This was nearly full time as I worked on it for about 6-8 hours per day during the week. I'm planning to do the UX Academy through Design Lab as they do an incredible job teaching the material and providing support and help along the way. My mentor was fantastic, they work in the industry and answered all my questions about becoming a UX/UI designer, we made iterations to my projects to improve my designs as well. Design Lab has a great modern way of teaching, providing an incredible foundation of design while also ensuring the students are using the most prominent tools in the industry and challenging you with fun and interesting projects. Excited to get started in UX Academy at Design Lab and can't wait to work in this industry. Foundations is perfect if you are considering getting into UX/UI but aren't sure where to get started.
  • Brandon  User Photo
    Brandon • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I just want to start by saying this was my personal experience and yours may differ.

Overall I had a good experience with DesignLab and if it wasn't for their program I wouldn't have had transitioned my career as quickly as I have today.

The overall curriculum is well done, and the structure of their course is great! At the beginning of my journey in DesignLab, the staff was great! They were very communicative with any questions I had pertaining to the course, finances, etc. I enrolled as a full-time student and the work was heavy, but enjoyable! Lots of great content although some of the modules had broken links throughout the course which was a bit frustrating, but not a big deal.

My mentor during the course was amazing and helped me so much with questions, feedback, etc. This was probably the best of my journey in DesignLab. I graduated with a high score on my portfolio review and was excited to begin the real journey of landing a position in UX/UI.

Unfortunately, this is where DesignLab stopped providing the support I needed. They did provide some good articles and assignments to help you establish a cover letter, resume, and tips for applying to work. However, the information was no different than Googling "How to land a job in UX design." My main focus and hope during career services was working with a career coach who would help me land a role. I was paired with my first career services coach and although she was knowledgeable in the field, I struggled to communicate with her. She did not speak English well, I had a difficult time understanding her and she didn't seem to understand my questions most of the time. I was not getting detailed feedback on my portfolio, resume, and progress so eventually after a few meetings, I decided to request a new mentor. I filled out the questionnaire to request a new mentor, but my request was ignored. I had to reach back out to request it again, and they made me re-fill out the questionnaire. I was paired with a new career coach and my experience was the same. During each call, they were unprepared and did not have much value to provide to me. They struggled to answer questions about my job search journey, and I felt that our meetings were a waste of time. I stopped scheduling meetings and looked for support elsewhere, where I was able to connect with a career coach who was able to give much more valuable tips on landing a job.

I attempted to contact DesignLab regarding my experience and to request a new mentor, but my emails were ignored again. Not sure why I haven't had contact with them, but it seems like after you graduate from the course, they stop providing the support you would receive during the beginning of the course.

The experience was good, but if you are looking for career support specifically, you may want to check out some other Bootcamp Courses.
  • Kee  User Photo
    Kee • UX Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Enjoyed DesignLab’s UX Academy. It’s a course that goes over every part of the UX design process and comes with a hugely supportive community and group of mentors. Each week there were plenty of opportunities to not only learn, but to practice UX and get feedback on projects. Great experience!
  • Michael  User Photo
    Michael • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I really enjoyed this UX Foundations course. As someone who had ZERO design experience before starting, I really feel like I gained a solid grounding in UI design. Design patterns, design theory, colour selection, typography, iconography etc. I feel as if each of these topics were given equal exposure and I now feel more confident about hopefully enrolling in the Academy soon.

I felt as though the projects in this course were varied in nature and there was a nice balance between this and the theory side of the course. I really enjoyed the experience and would recommend this course to anyone considering entering the world of UX design.

Just a warning though. This course is entirely UI. No UX at all. To my understanding, you will only begin with the UX side of things in UX Academy (which is the big course that comes after UX Academy Foundations). I believe that DL say this is because they want new students to the world of design to have the essential skills in UI (and on the different apps) squared away before they enter the wider learning world of UX.

The only point I would make is that there are quite a few projects that require you to copy existing designs out there. Now, that's fine and it's good practice on whichever design tool you're using. However, I assumed that the reason for all these copy projects was to gain experience on these design tools in preparation for UX Academy As such, it did begin to get a bit boring. When I mentioned this to my mentor, she said another reason for these exercises is so that we as students can start to look out for design patterns and to think about why the designers of these forms, landing pages, app screens etc made them the way they did.

Eureka! I really feel that if Designlab had explained the purpose for these exercises earlier on, I would have approached these projects in a different way and would have gained more from the experience. Now, this isn't a criticism. This course is only a very new one so I am sure they will make improvements down the line. Just something for the DL team to consider.

All in all, a great course and recommended :)
  • Danny Kim  User Photo
    Danny Kim • 3D Artist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I think it was a really great course for intro UI course.
    Nice readings and assignments.
    The only problem might be the name itself.
    I don't think this is a Foundation UX course, this is more Foundation UI I think...
    But I'm not sure, since I'm new to this world of UX. I might be wrong.
    It just felt like more UI classes than UX for me.
    And they were great.
  • Spencer Goldberg  User Photo
    Spencer Goldberg • Verified via LinkedIn
    Though I come from a graphic design background, I knew virtually nothing about UX/UI. After a quick four weeks of their Design 101 foundations course, which taught me the fundamentals of UI design, I was ready to take on the three-plus months of the main UX Academy. Though I did have to switch mentors at the very beginning, (my first one was unresponsive) I had a great time. My mentor was outstanding and really guided me through the work. It certainly wasn't easy, and it's a lot of work, but I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone who's interested in UI/UX. I spent only a short time in creative services, but from what I did participate in, it was also great. I found a job pretty early on.
  • Rebecca  User Photo
    Rebecca • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This program has taught me a lot about design. I really enjoy the mentoring sessions, I chose to complete the course in 4 weeks, and it wasn't overwhelming, I also work full-time (unrelated to design). The program is self-paced and there is not a recommended schedule, so before I started I wrote down when I wanted to accomplish everything. Most of the lectures are writings online, with a few video tutorials. There is a lot of time spent on projects which I really enjoyed, as I prefer doing projects and learning by experience as opposed to tests or lectures. It was really simple to contact my mentor and set up the meetings, she was very helpful and gave me some tricks. I like that all the mentors are working in the UX industry so they have practical experience. Overall, this program was amazing and I am excited to do the full boot camp.
  • Janelle Suzara  User Photo
    Janelle Suzara • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Such an amazing program! I came in with no design experience and ended with so many tools on my belt! The impact of the curriculum is evident by the quality  of my projects over time. My mentor was so helpful and available to advise me along the way. The curriculum is straight and to the point and the projects were impactful
  • Nathan  User Photo
    Nathan • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I took this full time with the intention of going into UX Academy immediately afterwards.  I found their estimates for course work to be underestimates by about 25 to 50%.  There are parts units they don't count but are really worth doing if you are not familiar with the tool you use (Figma).
  • Michelle Cruz  User Photo
    Michelle Cruz • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I found it quite overwhelming to study during a global pandemic and doing research as to which program I should be in was very overwhelming. I went through tedious research and comparing curriculums to comparing price ranges and it's quite intimidating to get to a course that you've no idea of, let alone spend money for it. I finally decided to shoot an email to Designlab, and actually thought they won't respond but they did! They even gave me a zoom call. The call was from the UK and I'm from southeast Asia, so timezones were in the extremes. Up to this day, I am very grateful for that call from the admissions office before joining the program because at that time someone in my family had Covid and I really appreciate that gesture. I reached out in October 2020 and I finally joined the course in January 2021. I'm halfway through and so excited to step into the new path that I'll have after this. I would also like to stress that the mentor program that they have really helped my confidence in learning and affirmed me in so many ways. You get fully onboarded from the get-go and I really liked that they're very responsive to all of my inquiries and very open to feedback because they want to improve! :)