designlab-logo

Designlab

Designlab

Designlab teaches in-demand UX/UI design skills online through 4-week short courses and a 15 to 28-week UX Academy. Designlab courses consist primarily of hands-on projects and 1-on-1 mentorship from expert designers so that students can master the techniques needed to design stunning web and mobile products. The Designlab community of mentors gives students timely feedback on work and Skype with students regularly to help them improve. Mentors include top industry professionals from companies like Twitter, Airbnb, Dropbox, and more. Courses are self-paced, which means students can complete the readings/projects whenever their schedules permit. Designlab is ideal for a developer, product manager, entrepreneur, marketer, aspiring designer, or anyone working on web/mobile products.

To apply for the UX Academy, applicants need to fill out an online application, and schedule a call with a Designlab representative. Applicants should have a love of good design, a grounding in design fundamentals, and commitment and resilience.

Graduates of the UX Academy work with a career coach to get help with their portfolios, job applications, and interview technique. Top graduates also get access to Designlab's hiring partners and exclusive job opportunities. Designlab offers a 6-month tuition-reimbursement guarantee for graduates of the UX Academy who are job hunting.

Recent Designlab Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (105) reviews for Designlab →

Recent Designlab News

Start Date April 3, 2020
    In this 4-week online course built for design beginners, you'll learn about the fundamentals of color theory, typography, and layout in web design, gain familiarity with the design tool of your choice (Photoshop, Sketch, or Illustrator), hone your skills & start building your portfolio with a series of hands-on projects, work with your own expert mentor, with written feedback on all your work and 4 Skype sessions. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong foundational skill set in design.
  • UI Design

Start Date April 3, 2020
    In this 4-week online course you will develop a detailed "eye" for visual design, learn to decide which typefaces to use, become equipped to choose and create color palettes, learn about best practices for UI patterns and reusable design components, and learn how to create retina-ready designs that scale across different devices. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong skillset in UI design. This course is intended as a follow-up to our Design 101 course, or for anyone who has a basic understanding of visual design principles. Students are expected to be acquainted with a professional design tool before they begin this class.
  • UX Academy (Full-time)

Design, User Experience Design
    UX Academy is an online design intensive, aimed at career-switchers looking to make the move into UX/UI/product design roles. You'll complete over 480 hours of coursework, develop a portfolio, and hone your skills through 1-on-1 mentorship, peer Group Critiques, and Career Services.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans6 month internal payment plan and extended plans financed by Climb Credit
    Minimum Skill LevelDesign 101 or its equivalent (foundational skills in visual/graphic design); knowledge of at least one major design tool (Sketch, Photoshop, or Illustrator)
    Prep WorkApplication pre-requisites: https://help.trydesignlab.com/hc/en-us/articles/218228487-How-do-I-apply-to-UX-Academy-Are-there-any-prerequisites-for-the-program-
  • UX Academy (Part-time)

• UX: Interaction Design

User Experience Design
    Start Date April 3, 2020
    In this 4-week online course you’ll develop an eye for seeing, and a language for talking about, interaction design. You'll become familiar with human interface guidelines, principles of usability and fundamental interaction design details. You'll also practice evaluating if and how interactions can be improved. Finally, you'll develop a portfolio to demonstrate your interaction design prowess. As with all Designlab courses, you'll work 1-on-1 with an expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end, you’ll have an interaction design toolkit for evaluating and improving the usability of your products. You’ll have examples of your process and work that you can speak to and draw on in related projects. This course is especially useful to anyone looking to develop better communication of and confidence in their interaction design work, and for folks looking to develop their ability to understand and work with product designers.
  • UX Research & Strategy

User Experience Design
    Start Date April 3, 2020
    In this 4-week online course, you'll learn the basics of UX, and user-centered design, explore the core research techniques professionals use to gain customer insight, and get experience by working on hands-on projects, develop your UX portfolio, creating deliverables like personas, storyboards, customer journey maps, & empathy maps, and work with your own expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end of this course, you'll know all about user research, and have a toolkit of methods you can use throughout your career. You'll have a strong portfolio of work and crucial real experience to draw upon for interviews. Whether you want a career in UX/UI Design, or you just want to build better products, this course is the perfect next step.

• Design101 Review
    - 2/1/2020
    Tony  User Photo
    Tony • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    When starting this program, I was a nervous because I wasn't sure what I was getting my self into. I majored with a business degree, but I wanted a change in my career in design. I was recommended by my cousin about Design101 and did some more research on it. I decided to go for it and took Design101 and see where it will take me. Once I was in the program, I was given a mentor to help me throughout my course of 4 weeks. This was really helpful because I never had a mentor before, and working with a mentor was the greatest thing that happen. I was given tips and advices from working professional, and they were able to give me critique on my projects. I really enjoyed the challenges that Design101 presented, and learned a lot from it.
  • Mary Garcia  User Photo
    Mary Garcia • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I chose design 101 specifically for its connection to mentors in the UX Design field, and was not disappointed. My mentor (Robbin Arcega) went above and beyond to offer me advice on any and all topics we discussed (as they correlated to UX Design) during our weekly 1-on-1s. Beyond that she taught me to practice efficiency and how to prioritize my goals, even providing a rundown of Design jobs and the hiring cycle of design companies.
    That having been said, I would not have found this experience nearly as beneficial without my mentor. Understanding that this is a 101 class that focused mainly on the basics of UX Design, I think there was so much crammed into such a short amount of time, that I was mostly just overwhelmed with information without much of an opportunity to practically apply it. Regardless, I would recommend the course to those considering the UX Design field, with the caveat that they MUST be proactive and engaged with their mentor.

• Doug  User Photo
    Doug • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I chose to jump into UX Academy hoping to change careers into UX/Product Design. I had weighed between Bloc and Designlab at the time and chose Designlab in order to wholly focus on UX Design. So I paid the upfront $5200 to start my journey. I was excited to start and was expecting a well thought out format in teaching and learning about the design process. However, after going through the complete course I can say that there was not much value beyond what could be found through viewing other graduates online portfolios and following the process much like they do (supplemented by free sources online).

The best part of my experience with Designlab was the mentorship. My mentor was amazing and was able to help me understanding what part of the process is relevant and important to focus on. There were a lot of things he would explain that the course itself would not share.

The other good thing about the course is getting you to have a discipline to stay on course and focus on product design for a certain amount of time. It pushed me to learn and practice everything, which otherwise I probably wouldn't.

Beyond those two things, there was not much value that Designlab put forth is being able to help you swtich careers. There would be group critique sessions that would not be entirely helpful as critiques were coming from other students who are just learning as well. There are one facilitator that would provide great feedback, however, the focus would be for other students to participate so the feedback would be limited.

The 3 capstone projects during Phase 2 of the course are great projects to get you to practice everything. However, the prompts are simple and you could do these without having to actually go through the course.

For a UX bootcamp, there are also a lot of UX issues with their online platform. It can get frustrating to navigate and actually keep track of things.

Finally, if you're hoping to stay eligible for tuition reimbursement after 6-months of job searching, make sure you follow their eligibility requirements perfectly. If you miss one thing in any way, they will not sympathize with you. They will find any excuse to not get you your refund. They are incredibly dismissive and have personally made me feel like I was an afterthought.

After graduating, career services isn't so much service but more bookkeeping for their sake. The support here purely comes from your mentor.

After this experience, I somewhat regret spending an entire year with them and spending the $5200. I would suggest that perhaps it would be more worth your while to find alternative cheaper ways to learn the design process and work on your own projects. Alternatively, I believe an on-site course (despite the higher price) would be much better, as you would have instructors with you there at all times and fellow students to learn alongside.

I hope this helps whoever is hoping to change careers!

• Pierre  User Photo
    Pierre • Looking for a new job in design. • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

As I decided to change my carreer and to go into product design earlier this year, I was looking for some course to do such a thing. I went for designlab after trying their 7 days courses for Sketch and Figma. I tried other online course and looked through reviews but this school was the one I wanted to apply to.

In fact, I did the Design 101 course to get started in this new domain. It's my first online course and I was affraid of being alone with my computer, lessons and assesments to do. But no. Designlab is a nice course in which you're always surrounded by others students, mentors and staff. You can easily discuss about your assesments with someone else to avoid any issue. I do loved the fact a mentor helped me out during the whole course, I was able to share some and find new ressources thanks to the other students and the staff was allways here. To be honest, I had some issue with some documents and they helped me out in a few hours even if there's two oceans between us.

The best quality of this course is the fact you'll go in a binomial with your mentor. They'll be there to give you some advices, ways to work and feedbacks for all your assesment and you'll be able to discuss with them about their daily routine at work, share new ressources. The more you go into the course, the more they know you, your painpoints, your way to work and they can help you in the way you do need.

As I just finished this course, I'm already thinking of joining another one to keep improving my profile but, IMO, I got to stay with Designlab as they helped me out all the way down the coursework I had.

• Sarah  User Photo
    Sarah • User Research • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I recently completed UX Research & Strategy with DesignLabs and couldn't be more happy with the course!  I am newer into the User Research field and was looking for a course that would give me a solid foundation of what UX is all about and this course nailed it!

It's a four-week course; each week includes reading material, sometimes videos and small assignments that help you practice what you just learned that week.  The information is very digestible -- and I love that they offer some additional resources at the end of each topic, that if you're interested in digging deeper, you can!  I also love that the assignments help you practice what you're learning.

You're assigned a mentor - so each time you complete an assignment, your mentor reviews your work, comments on the submission and notes any additional work you might need to do in order to fully understand the concept.  I've found the communication via the DesignLabs platform and with my mentor to be extremely easy.

Also, with your mentor, you'll have weekly 1-on-1 sessions!  My mentor, Erika, was amazing! We were able to talk about what we just learned in the online course, the assignment as well as anything else that I needed to understand more of.  She is really fantastic and was MORE than what I could have hoped for.

This course gives a solid foundation of research methodologies as well as practical practice assignments that help you grasp the concepts more easily!

• Tyler  User Photo
    Tyler • UX / UI Designer Verified via LinkedIn

I learned more in this class than I did in a 16 week boot camp. It also cost a lot less. Jeff was my mentor and helped me understand things I was confused about and also helped me to reach my Goals for the class

• Candi  User Photo
    Candi • Front End Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I took the UX Research & Strategy course through Designlab. Being in Front End Development, I'm exposed to a lot of UX talk but not quite the formal experience. I researched through various bootcamps out there. Some were just too expensive and time consuming for my budget. Some courses went over topics I already knew from work experience such as responsive design. The things I enjoy the most about DL are the mentorship and the projects. I'm currently enrolled in another program that's only reading, watching videos, and participating discussion forms. I feel like I don't quite get the feedback I'm expecting from doing that course work. With DL, I feel like it's more hands-on projects with a lot of great feedback from my mentor. My mentor was a perfect match for me with her energy and the experience she can provide to me. She not only gave me advice on how to approach the course but how I can approach the same situation in real life. I had such a great experience with her that I would definitely continue to keep in touch with her even after the course ends. I originally was debating about taking UX Academy but I think with my current work experience, taking Interaction Design would suffice in my UX training.

It is a bit tough to complete the course in 4 weeks when life happens (hurricanes, family illnesses, etc.) but the course still allows you to finish even after the course ends. If you're looking for something super in-depth with some intense reading, this isn't the course for you. If you're doing the short courses, you can marry this with other reading intensive courses from other places, UX reading material from publishers like Rosenfeld Media, or other free online resources. To me, the value is from your interaction with the mentor as well as feedback from your peers on project work.

I've already recommended DL to quite a few colleagues and friends.

- 7/3/2018
    Rebecca Baror  User Photo
    Rebecca Baror • Student • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I had a great run with this prerequisite course.  I had no previous experience, and after only a month I already feel confident enough to create logos and a simple website design.  I learned both important design history and skills in this course, as well as lots of practice and encouragement.  I'd definitely recommend this course, and am looking to taking another DesignLab bootcamp!

• Victoria   User Photo
    Victoria • UI/UX Designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

UX Academy was a wonderful decision and I am so happy that I decided to take the leap. During my time at UXA, I was a student and became a student advocate to help guide and support new students. While a student and a student advocate, I worked with people from all different backgrounds and since finishing the program, we have all entered the UX design field. It does not matter what your experience is before UXA, if you follow the curriculum and give it your all, you will come out of the course as a UX Designer.  I went into the program wanting to learning UX Design and now I am a UX Designer.

I would absolutely recommend UX Academy. In addition to the thorough coursework, the UX Academy has incredibly talented, supportive, and knowledgable mentors that guide students through learning UX principles. At the UX Academy, you will learn to be a UX Designer and will learn so many additional skills that will apply to your future careers.

• Gretchen  User Photo
    Gretchen • UX designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Before UX Academy, I was a freelance graphic designer/stay at home mom. I wanted to rejoin the workforce full time and pursue a career in UX design. I liked Designlab's UX academy because they had a full curriculum laid out for me, a mentor, and I would graduate with a professional-level portfolio. The experience was very positive and I had a great outcome. The coursework was engaging and my mentor was always helpful in his feedback. The career mentor encouraged me in my job search after graduation, which definitely helped me from getting "job search burnout." About three months after graduating from UX Academy, I landed a full time job as a UX designer at a great company. My transition into my new career would not have been as smooth without Designlab.

• Stanford  User Photo
    Stanford • Product Designer @Instructure • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My decision to pursue a career change with the help of DesignLab's UX academy was one of the best decision I have made in my life!

I felt that the course properly prepared me to take on an entry-level position in UX. The project-based coursework is solid, the readings insightful, and the mentors are world-class designers who are deeply interested in your growth as a UX designer.

I would not be where I am today if not for the UX Academy!

To be honest, the entry-level UX market is saturated, but if you work hard and take time to understand the fundamentals and can clearly explain the why behind your designs, you will be in a very good spot!

My advice to prospective students who are evaluating UX bootcamps, , write down a list of things you expect to get from the course and hunt down alumni on LinkedIn and ask them about their experience in relation to the things you are hoping to get from your education.

• Celeste  User Photo
    Celeste • UX/UI Designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I joined UX Academy full time after years working around building digital products but with no formal experience in design. After three months I was able to create a portfolio, develop my own apps and now I have a job as a UX/UI Designer in a big company in The Netherlands where I now live (I'm from Mexico).

I'd recommend this program to anybody looking to make a carreer change or become a UX Designer, you'll learn all the basics to research, wireframe, prototype and test a digital product, even the worflow itself!

As a tip, choose the time format you are able to comit to, since the program can be very demanding and in order to get the best out of it, you need to spend time actually working on your designs and sharing feedback with your fellow students.

• Kristopher • Student
    When I enrolled at Designlab UX Academy Foundations, I wasn’t looking for a design career since I was blessed enough to retire from tech at a young age, but more to gain some knowledge and do some charity work to help small businesses and nonprofits. Unfortunately I got wrapped up in the good things some people had to say and missed a lot of red flags that I would normally find out in doing due diligence on the company and leadership.

They advertise a free Figma Student Account which at Figma is their professional package (a $150/year) value. That is an awesome deal and one of the reasons I selected Designlab. However when I tried to redeem the student/professional account with Figma they said it is only for accredited institutions (such as colleges) and that they did not have a partnership agreement with Designlab and had no timeframe as to when that might happen in the future. Even Designlab’s support told me their “perk” was incorrect and actually a “Starter” account at Figma, which isn’t a benefit because anyone in the world can get that for free. I escalated and asked why they advertise it if it’s not true and the CEO of Designlab swore up and down it was true and kept blaming a “workflow issue”. He didn’t know that Figma already gave me the real scoop. He couldn’t bring himself to admit they had no formal partnership agreement with Figma and instead of fixing their bait and switch advertising, he terminated my class. I was merely asking them to change the wording from Student to Starter so that others wouldn’t be deceived like I was.

As for the enrollment process, they have frequent webinars which are actually live. The admissions people present very well and were able to answer all the questions which is pretty great. The biggest issue is they do NOT publish any CIRR data for graduation rates, job outcomes, etc. Every reputable bootcamp does this, but Designlab does not. The only other issue with enrollment is after I enrolled and gave them my credit card, I would get emails from admissions asking if I was still interested. So it's pretty obvious they are trying to run the cattle through the chute and not taking an interest in the individual.

Before enrolling make sure you read the tuition reimbursement guarantee and understand it completely. It would be almost impossible to actually get a reimbursement with all the requirements and hoops you need to jump through. I wasn’t concerned about the money or landing a job so it was moot to me but for others changing careers this might be very important.

The curriculum is not very good at all, and oddly enough their UI and UX needs some work. You would expect a “school” teaching UI and UX to be spot on. Basically the learning content is some very poor audio and video with no emotion or excitement and some articles to read through with links to other sites. Literally going to the dentist is more stimulating. Most of the content is text-based but it is nothing you can’t find anywhere for free with all the great resources online. Their platform is also nothing to be in awe about. A file upload, a checkbox to click when you are done reading, and a progress bar. Nothing innovative to aid anyone in learning.

My mentor was super responsive and gave good feedback at times, however on a couple of occasions the feedback was not actually relevant to the requirements of the task you had to complete which was somewhat frustrating and demotivating.

All in all, the core concepts of design don’t change much and you can get a way better education with free websites, videos, or even inexpensive learning platforms. If you really need a school to help motivate you, I would highly recommend spending a little more money and going with one of the highly reputable bootcamps out there.
  • Amy • Graduate
    I came into this course with absolutely zero design experience and finished feeling like I could call myself a designer. The course offers excellent content and mentorship and exceeded my expectations. A strong commitment and motivation are required, but there was so much to gain and to me it was worth the time and price. Highly recommend especially if you do not have much (or any) design experience and plan to get into UX!
  • Andrew Luistro • Student
    I came into this course knowing absolutely nothing about design, and I came out of it as prepared as I could have ever hoped to be. It really teaches you the basics of design from a completely blank slate, and does so in a manner that's easy to understand. The projects are wonderfully tiered so that they really build on each other and allow you to learn in a hands-on manner. The mentor calls were an invaluable resource for feedback. Having someone to bounce ideas off of or to answer general questions really allowed me to learn "how things are" in the real world that only serves to supplement the course. I could not recommend this place enough.
    - 1/13/2020
    Barbara Jewell • Graduate

I would definitely recommend the Designlab's Design 101. Although I wasn't originally planning on taking it, it's a pre-requisite for enrolling on their UX Academy - and so worth it! Lots of good, useful information, the course material is interesting and easy to digest, the platform is visually appealing and intuitive, and my favorite - excellent mentoring.
    On a side note, I wasn't a fan of their file upload limit (I had to find a file compressor online), and the estimated time for completing lessons and projects is way off - it took me almost double the time to complete, if not more.

Overall it was a great experience to go from no design background to building a project of my own that I'm proud of!

• Ui Design
    - 8/31/2019
    Matthew Pittman • Student

I greatly enjoyed this course! The content was well organized and beneficial to my learning. My mentor was great. She provided timely feedback on my work which was great. I would recommend this course to anyone with a penchant for design.

• UX Academy
    - 8/13/2019
    K.Nelson
    I did a lot research before deep diving into a bootcamp. Glad I chose Designlab. What set this bootcamp apart for me aside the price was the helpfulness of having one on one mentorship meetings weekly to go over material and the career services portion after graduation has been better than my college career services when I received my bachelors.
  • Mary Schwab • Student

As a newbie to visual design, I really enjoyed Design 101 with one highlight being my DesignLab mentor as I found his feedback very helpful. He was very flexible in terms of our meeting times, and happy to reschedule when I had other work commitments pop up. He provided thoughtful feedback in my designs, but did not necessarily tell me exactly what decisions to make (which I appreciated). He was helpful in showing examples when I was stuck on certain decisions in the visual design process.  I learned a lot in this course and felt challenged.  Overall my experience throughout Design 101 was great!

• Michael • Designer • Student

Like anything in life, you get out of this course what you put into it. It's self-paced and there are no deadlines (which I didn't love), but there is a lot of good content and the most important thing for me was my mentor, who was awesome. She really helped guide me through the concepts, how to apply them, pitfalls to watch out for, etc.

I had always known about various UX concepts, but this course helped me focus on which ones were industry standards and gave me confidence to use terms and apply concepts in actual conversations with clients. Probably the best thing for me was that I was able to use concepts as soon as the second week on a client project and help drive their UX strategy.

In the end it was well worth the cost.

Pros: - great mentor
    - good content

Cons: - no deadlines
    - "prototype" project is kind of lame
    - I struggled to get through all the materials on time (mostly out of laziness)

• Christine Field • Art Director • Student

This course exceeded my expectations. While I finished the course in the time frame given, I could have dug down even deeper into the materials! And the plentiful resources are there for me to take advantage of for years to come. The mentor support is also key to discussing the projects and materials. The project-based course really helped to make the materials come alive.

• Amazing Course
    - 3/31/2019
    Thays

Great course! The Design 101 course was an enjoyable experience where I could learn the basic of the Design making a good starting portfolio.
    The modules are well developed with useful knowledge to build the final project peace by peace. It is also offered a mentor to guide you during this process and give tips about how to improve later on and how is the daily life as a Designer.

• Božo Prlenda • UI/Graphic Designer • Applicant

Course UI Design at Design Lab was great experience. I would recommend  it to everyone (beginners and professionals).
    Course is divided in sections that consists reading material and small projects.
    All those small projects are steps to create mobile or web app. Reading material is very good and you can find a lot of interesting additional links that can help you in your designs.
    The best thing about the course is mentoring. You get 4 hours of video call mentoring and if your mentor is as good as mine was it will be a big bonus for your knowledge.

• Wendy Schorr • Multimedia designer • Student
    Great hands on, one on one mentoring, but terrible portfolio review process. I am a mid level professional who wanted a career change but didn't want to commit to another time consuming, expensive degree program. I needed to update my skill set and Designlab's UX Academy seemed like a perfect fit. Their one on one mentoring sold me along with the hands on projects and portfolio I'd have once I was done. Another selling point since I've been at the same comaony for 19 years was their career services. I need help and some guidance in that area. The problem is I can't get my portfolio through their review board. It's a terrible process that needs to be changed. You can't review a someone's work over email. That is how they give feedback: in an email. What they need to do is set up a video conference and review the portfolio in real time so the mentors can give constructive feedback. Most of the feedback I've gotten is not constructive at all, but more subjective. I can't act on subjective feedback because what one person likes another won't. So how do you ever get approved? Everything was great up until this point. Now, the one thing I placed all my hope in changing my career has let me down. I feel defeated, disappointed and no one at the school will help me. All I can do is warn you not to sign up for this program until they have changed the portfolio review process.
  • Kira • UX Designer - Student • Student

I could not recommend DesignLab more. For me, self-directed learning is essential but also challenging because I am a kinesthetic learner. A colleague recommended this course and a few others on the DesignLab platform as the starting points for me to use to make a career transition. I feel so lucky, I was given this recommendation. My mentor has been the most incredible resource. To learn from a working professional and have one on one tailored support is invaluable. I did not finish the course in the exact timeline prescribed because of my pre-existing workload and my mentor made arrangements to keep up with me through the finish line. I can not guarantee others would have this experience, but to have a mentor who intrinsically values teaching and watching another learn has been such a joy. I was afraid of online learning and I know I am coming back for another course, or two!