austin-community-college-continuing-education-logo

Austin Community College Continuing Education

Austin

Austin Community College Continuing Education

Austin Community College Continuing Education offers a part-time, 24-week full-stack coding bootcamp in Austin, TX. Students will learn some of the most in-demand technologies on the market today including HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Bootstrap, JQuery, NodeJS, ExpressJS, and more. By working with experienced and passionate mentors committed to helping students reach their goals, the bootcamp is focused on building valuable connections with developers to accelerate student career growth. Through this program, students will build their portfolio through with classroom projects and execute their career plan. Students will also have access to a variety of experienced industry professionals who will help build programming skills and guide students through career development. Successful candidates who complete the bootcamp are eligible for JavaScript certification.

Recent Austin Community College Continuing Education Reviews: Rating 4.29

all (7) reviews for Austin Community College Continuing Education →

Recent Austin Community College Continuing Education News

• Web Software Developer Bootcamp

LocationAustin
    Students will master how to build dynamic web apps from scratch while learning extremely useful code management, version management, testing and web software deployment processes. Students will learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Bootstrap, JQuery, NodeJS, ExpressJS, and more.
  • Tony Bellegante  User Photo
    Tony Bellegante • Operations Supervisor • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    The web software developer bootcamp with ACC was excellent.  My main regret is missing a few classes - that makes it quite hard to catch back up, but Piyush, Sage, JM, and Jesus were all willing to work with us and at odd hours throughout the day.

I recommend to anyone who is taking this class to read about the subjects ahead of time to gain a basic understanding before the instructors explain - this helps to have intelligent questions to ask, and not feel so overwhelmed with the deluge of information.

I came in with basic coding knowledge and a bit of remembered HTML - I didn't feel like this was necessary, but it was definitely a benefit.

Word of warning this is a lot of information, it's easy to get burned out.  You don't have time for vacations, it's especially challenging to do this while holding down a full time job, and if you find yourself having free time you should probably be reading or coding something.

I'd recommend this class to anyone who wanted to pursue this field!
  • Peter Cifarelli  User Photo
    Peter Cifarelli • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I researched all the available boot-camps in the Austin area taking the intro classes for all of them. There were 4 main areas where ACCs program stood out from the rest:
    1. Trial class - Although there was a small fee associated with it vs free like the other companies, you actually completed something in ACCs trial class. The others were 2-4 hr intro classes where you would start to "build" a website however it felt more like an ordered list of steps to follow instead of a place to get a feel if this is what you want to spend your hard-earned money on.
    2. Cost - The cost of the program was about half of the competition's prices with a very similar syllabus and you do not have to "interview" to start the program like almost every other program out there!
    3. Lead Instructor - When I reached out to Piyush with all my questions about the program, he wasn't quick to rush me off the phone or just push me to the trial class, he took the time to answer all of them as well as offer guidance based on our conversation, all before even registering for the trial class.
    4. Instructor Team interaction - Jon-Mikel, John, Piyush and Sage were all extremely knowledgeable and were easy to follow (although sometimes the information itself wasn't so easy to follow! LOL). They used real-world examples when breaking down the materials and they were eager to help whenever necessary. They spent numerous hrs helping me understand topics that I struggled with outside of class time on many different occasions.
  • Matthew Myers  User Photo
    Matthew Myers • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Enrolling in the ACC Software Bootcamp was a great decision. I learned a huge amount in 6 months, and the insctuctors exceeded my expectations with their commitment to helping students. I gained confidence in my ability to be a software developer.

• Sherry Hurtado • Student
    As a continuing education course, this is a great bootcamp to complete. All aspects of being a Full Stack Developer are covered. However, I would have hope that they focused on a single templating language and studied that deeply. The constant jumping around of two subjects made it a lot more difficult to follow. Nonetheless, the basics were covered so ramping up at your own pace is doable even after the course completion.

One problem I did have was the fact that I was often pushed away from following through with big tech interviews I was pending to take. I was often pushed to try and find smaller companies, which was something I did not want to do at that point in my life. Always seemed like my goals were too much to aspire for and that really turned me away after a while to keep going on with the class. Made me feel ashamed about my goals.
  • KimW • QA Analyst • Student

ACC's continuing education program is a joke. I had been a former Student at ACC's credit program and never had any issues BUT then decided to try to Continuing Education program after I received my Certification in Software Testing from ACC. I graduated the program with a 3.75 GPA.

Be warned about Greg Hervey and the Dream Weaver class. This guy is a totaly SCAMMER. Unlike all the other professors this guy doesn't provide a syllabus or a breakdown for each project.

I took the Dream Weaver class, turned in all the projects and my websites looked really good. This guy FAILED me because he didin't like the way I wrapped my files in the path he wanted us to upload the final presentaton of all the websites completed. I did 4 COMPLETED websites and uploaded them but because they were not loaded in order he failed me.

This has NOTHING to do with the quality of my webistes which he even commented looked good.

I made a formal complaint with ACC against him and his business because AFTER he failed me he told me I could take the Dream Weaver class over through his personal business at a "discounted" rate...what a loser! Most unprofessional experience I have ever encountered. I complaint up to the Director of the Continuing Education Hector Aguilar and of course they all made excuses and nothing was done. He makes them money plain and simple. I hope in the future more people compain against this guy and he gets fired. He doesn't belong in education.

I also filed a formal complaint against his business with BBB and this goes on his record. Beware of this when you take he class. Marcela Nouzovska even made the comment the students don't like him because he's so anal. You better believe it. There's no room for a perfectionist and petty little man like Greg Hervey. He obviously shouldn't be teaching college students. He needs to find a different line of work.

• Erik • React Developer • Graduate

I was looking for an opportunity to expand my knowledge of coding and took a chance on the ACC Software Development Bootcamp and i'm glad I did, it was a great decision!  I've since moved on into a career as a Front End Developer using Node and React, but also have a strong understanding of back end technologies.  Highly Recommend this for anyone looking for something similar!

I am so, so glad I decided on a whim to attend this bootcamp. I couldn't decide between the Austin Community College bootcamp and the one taught by UT Austin, so I went to the ACC "pre-class" to meet the instructors and learn more about the curriculum. By the end of the trial class, I knew that learning from Piyush, Jon, Sevy, and Jon-Mikel would be the right fit for me. They are all extremely approachable humans, with huge hearts, and they put a ton of effort into listening and communicating clearly. Each instructor brings their own unique strengths and styles to the course, and they were all amazing and crazy likeable. That being said, the course is truly Piyush's brainchild and baby, and it was a joy to learn from a professional who has worked in the industry for such a long time. His stories about working in tech are hilarious and really insightful. He's also a really good person, and he truly cares about each one of his students. Seriously, he believes in you no matter how dumb you might feel. I worried about him during the course, because he sometimes seems to stretch himself super thin, trying to help everyone out all of the time. Don't message him at 1:00 in the morning, because he might actually write you back.

I definitely think that you should attend the pre-class, if you're on the fence about joining. Actually, if you have $80, do it anyways - it's super fun. And know that this class might not be the best for people who like to follow a rigid, pre-determined schedule. But if you're all right with putting your trust in these instructors, I highly recommend letting them lead you on this wild ride with them. I'm so glad I followed my gut and didn't pay twice the price for the UT Austin version.