actualize-logo

Actualize

Chicago, Online

Actualize

Actualize is a 12-week software development bootcamp in Chicago and online throughout the US, offering both part-time and full-time options. Instructors with professional educational experience teach students full stack web development including Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, VueJS, SQL, and Git. Both the in-person and online programs use the same immersive, instruction-driven curriculum, with the Online Live classes conducted in real time with video conferencing. Actualize has a deeply integrated “Job Hacking” curriculum focused on the personal branding and networking skills necessary to land a new job, which Actualize feels is just as important as learning to code.

After the 12-week program, students have the option to join its unique Career Support program, which has contains additional training for Job Hacking, a job accountability group, and team projects to add to one’s portfolio.

To apply, students can submit an application via the website, then go through a series of two interviews with an admissions advisor. There are no coding challenges, but students must complete 4 weeks of prework before the program starts.

The daytime course takes place Mondays through Fridays, while the part-time course takes place on Sundays and weeknights, designed to allow the working person to attend a coding bootcamp while still working a daytime job.

Recent Actualize Reviews: Rating 4.91

all (392) reviews for Actualize →

Recent Actualize News

Read all (14) articles about Actualize →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Rails, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago, Online
    Tuition PlansAsk for details about payment plans.
    Prep WorkSome introductory work given several weeks in advance of the start of the program.
    - 7/16/2021
    This course is pretty fantastic. The concept of teaching how to learn is rare and valuable. I wish that there was more of a split time between learning backend (ruby), and front end (vuejs). I think there is more of a focus on ruby, and I wish it wouldve been a bit more equal footing from one to another. More time in CSS and HTML would've been nice as well considering we only had one day of lectures dedicated to those languages. Overall though, it was a great course and I would recommend it to anyone attempting to jump into the web development industry.
    - 5/6/2021
    I chose Actualize because of their
    1. Stress on having real teachers give over the material.
    2. Their night classes allowed me to continue on with my full-time job (although I feel one really does need to  practice outside of class). The experience starts off as “pre-work” which are the first five weeks of the course you will be watching prerecorded videos of Jay, the founder and CEO of Actualize teaching the fundamentals of programing. While a bit challenging these five weeks are very doable. (There is a special dedicated pre-work instructor) Next is the actual live classes. Those are quite challenging as the curriculum covers many topics and moves at a quick pace.
    I would recommend Actualize to anyone looking to get into coding who doesn’t want to give up the rest of their life while making that career change.
  • AMAZING!
    - 1/15/2021
    I entered Actualize completely new to programming and right from the very start I feel like they made all the information super clear and easy to follow along. They also are super helpful with continuous learning, alway supplying the documents you would need to delve deeper into specific concept. I found the instructors and staff all super accommodating and very helpful and motivating. I truly feel like I'm their top priority!
  • Anonymous • Production Manager • Student
    The whole experience was great! Our instructor Brian Rice was a fantastic teacher and personable individual with exceptional dad jokes. I feel very prepared and ready to learn and take on any technical challenge I set before myself. A couple of criticisms that might help. 1. The 5 week pre-work phase could use a few days of working with an instructor to help with the introduction to theses concepts. I felt very much in doubt of myself and my capacity to learn when it was just me and a teachers aid for an hour on Saturday mornings. 2. The job hacking portion of the course is great and I believe it is a fantastic accompaniment  to the technical aspect. Although I do think that is a little much to mix in with the 12 week live class portion and would've felt better served if It were taught for a week or two after the 12 week portion so that I could focus on it completely as opposed to heaped on top of all the very hard work and material that the technical portion requires.
    - 5/22/2020
    A very helpful and informative class. I learned a lot about coding and working as a coder. The instructors were very helpful and friendly.
    I'm very happy with Actualize. The instructors and staff were very personable. I am also very pleased with the depth of job support that is integrated into the curriculum and continues on after the 12 week program until a job is secured by the student. Very thorough.
  • Keto BHB Canada
    - 3/30/2020
    Anonymous • Keto BHB Canada • Graduate
    Keto BHB Canada Be careful that, despite the fact that the names are fundamentally the same as these are two distinct organizations and two unique items. Keto BHB Canada is the better, increasingly successful of the two. You'll accomplish ketosis quicker, have less shot of having your keto endeavors wrecked by minor slip ups and consume fat at a quicker rate. Furthermore, that is what it's about. Main concern: Should you purchase Keto BHB Canada? On the off chance that you will probably accomplish fast, maintainable weight reduction and more prominent degrees of generally speaking wellbeing in both the short and long haul, at that point you should attempt Keto BHB Canada.

• Review
    - 1/24/2020

What made Actualize stand out to me from other bootcamps were all the great reviews I read.

My experience at Actualize was really great. I decided to join a bootcamp because I felt I needed more structure. I definitely learned way more in the few months of this bootcamp, than I learned trying to self-teach myself for over a year. Brian was an awesome instructor and always available to help when I needed it.

I would recommend Actualize to anyone who is a complete beginner, or those who may have tried to self-teach themselves in hopes of making a career change and for those who are working full-time as well!

Actualize taught quality content, with an excellent (one of the best I've ever had) instructor in Josh. The first month was incredibly basic, and the last month was just working on a project, so considering the price you are really paying for a 2 month course. Just be aware of that.
    I simply can NOT recommend them. I took out a loan through the school which ended up being predatory loan with outrageous rates and an unforgiving payment plan. Considering it was so difficult to find a job, the fact that this loan had no support, no income based repayment, and a completely unreasonable rate made my life extremely hard post completing the school. I contacted the school and they sent one email out to the loan company, which predictably did nothing. They offered no futher help, they had my money, and I was on my own.
    Furthermore, compare to other boot camps that I have read about about the career support was also lacking. They had no connections to any companies, and the most career advice we got was learn how to brand yourself, and how to make a linkedin profile. I got much more career advice out of a google search.

Overall while I thought I learned a lot, I think for the price I can not reccomend Actualize.

I came to Actualize with a background that had nothing to do with tech. In college two years ago I was taught Fortran as a necessary computer science course. While I am sure there are many great CS degrees out there I wasn't about to go back to college for another four years so wanting to be a part of the tech industry, I found Actualize.
    I had done some basic coding walkthroughs before taking the course for almost a year and while that helped in my understanding of the course I wish I would have taken the plunge and taken the Actualize course sooner. The way that they walk you through full-stack development, organizing your problem solving, and prepping you to teach yourself after the course has been life-changing. I am newly graduated from the program with one app under my belt and confidently now job searching while still building and learning daily.
    Moreover, the tips on job searching and phase three have given me a lot of support and optimism for the job hunt.
    If you're looking to change your career and change your life I feel like this is a great first step and if you can take the daytime cohort I highly recommend Dani as an instructor, she is a fantastic teacher.

First and foremost, I'd like to commend the teaching, job support, ad administrative staff on their dedication to making sure students succeed. They are all genuinely invested in making Actualize a successful platform for turning individuals with minimal or no coding experience into developers with the skillset to succeed in an entry-level developer position. In terms of content, the curriculum is predominantly focused on back-end technologies, particularly Rails. Please be advised of this if you are more interested in learning front-end. I feel fortunate to have experienced the program and wish you luck in your coding pursuits!

The structure of this bootcamp is not your typical class. The curriculum is fast-paced and dense. Always follow the two-week rule to review concepts you learn each day. I had no coding experience coming into this bootcamp. I feel solidly prepared to tackle new coding languages and technologies now that I've been trained to Think Like an Engineer. Take a leap of faith and join this bootcamp if you want explore a growing and challenging, but rewarding industry.