actualize-logo

Actualize

Chicago, Online

Actualize

Actualize is a 12-week software development bootcamp in Chicago and online throughout the US, offering both part-time and full-time options. Instructors with professional educational experience teach students full stack web development including Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, VueJS, SQL, and Git. Both the in-person and online programs use the same immersive, instruction-driven curriculum, with the Online Live classes conducted in real time with video conferencing. Actualize has a deeply integrated “Job Hacking” curriculum focused on the personal branding and networking skills necessary to land a new job, which Actualize feels is just as important as learning to code.

After the 12-week program, students have the option to join its unique Career Support program, which has contains additional training for Job Hacking, a job accountability group, and team projects to add to one’s portfolio.

To apply, students can submit an application via the website, then go through a series of two interviews with an admissions advisor. There are no coding challenges, but students must complete 4 weeks of prework before the program starts.

The daytime course takes place Mondays through Fridays, while the part-time course takes place on Sundays and weeknights, designed to allow the working person to attend a coding bootcamp while still working a daytime job.

Recent Actualize Reviews: Rating 4.91

all (392) reviews for Actualize →

Recent Actualize News

Read all (14) articles about Actualize →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Rails, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago, Online
    Tuition PlansAsk for details about payment plans.
    Prep WorkSome introductory work given several weeks in advance of the start of the program.
  • Khoa Le • Web Developer • Graduate

Attending ACLTC has been one of the best decisions of my career. The instruction from Jay and the TA's have made learning web development much easier. The most applicable skills were focused on our capstone with web technologies such as HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, Ruby on Rails, javascript, AngularJS, ruby gems, and much more. The sweet bonus for me was with the great networking during ACLTC showcase where I landed my first web dev job the next following day. I highly recommend this bootcamp for anyone who has the will and desire to be a web dev, even on a part time basis.

• Kim • Graduate

The ACLTC boot camp is a very valuable and worthwhile opportunity to gain the confidence needed to become a full stack web developer. The instructor and assistants are patient, thorough and supportive during the entire process. I've also made a network of friends that I hope to stay in contact with for many years. This boot camp is just what one needs to boost their confidence and really go for it!

• Overall Experience:

I graduated from ACLTC's 3rd cohort. An AMAZING experience.  Firstly, they teach in a way that is really easy to understand, and they cover a lot of material. They teach you ruby, ruby on rails, sql, html, css, javascript, and AngularJS. They also teach it very thoroughly providing multiple FUN (I know,  hard to believe) exercises and hands-on learning. They always make sure you understand it, and you'll never be to embarrassed to say if you didn't understand something. It's almost as if they are more concerned that you understand the material than you are.
    They provide quality perspectives about web development including TDD (which, again, we had hands-on exercise for), open-source, API's (tying many different apps to one back-end), and agile, often having guest speakers come in to talk about them.
    I came from a background that had absolutely NOTHING to do with computers. I didn't even know what a command terminal was. Much less how to use it. Very quickly, I began to learn more and more about these concepts, and, very shortly, it became an experience that I woke up in the morning looking forward to. They break everything down into very small steps so it's a very easy transition from what you knew yesterday to what they teach you today. They also guide you on your journey. It's not like they throw a whole bunch of work at you and be like, "Think about this stuff. Do it. Then come back next week and we'll throw some more stuff at you. Bye." They show you what to do and what not to do, and why not to do what not to do. Everything is smooth sailing (not that it's not a lot of work - it is. but, all the hard work is really clear. You know what you gotta do. It's just a matter of doing it) right till the very end.
    All in all, if you're looking to have a solid understanding and mastery of web development, and you're nowhere near that point right now,, go to ACLTC. I think that's such good advice so I'm going to say it again. Go to ACLTC. You won't be disappointed. It's the ultimate web-development boot camp.

• Yedidya Weiner • Graduate

This was awesome! I held my full time job and attended classes on nights and weekends. Jay is a fantastic teacher and know his material very well. He did not just teach us how to code, but taught us the ins-and-outs of everything in the profession. I feel very prepared to get a job. Great atmosphere too!

• Mark Richardson

Finding a good developer to help you is easy. Finding a good developer who is also a good teacher is much, much harder. Jay (the lead instructor) takes teaching seriously, and that's where his passion lies. I think most coding schools, especially bootcamps have a sink or swim attitude, where learning is your responsibility, and they're only there to push you along.
    But Jay really cares. He wants you to learn, and will put in the time to make sure not only that everyone is on board, but that you're comfortable with what you're trying to learn.

I couldn't ask for a better instructor or program.

• Chris Walsh • Software Engineer • Graduate

Two things set Anyone Can Learn to Code apart from other bootcamps: the time commitment and instruction. ACLTC is the only programming bootcamp I found that allowed me to keep my job while attending. That was huge. I couldn't have afforded it otherwise. And whereas most bootcamps throw you straight into the deep end of dev, providing an environment where you can teach yourself how to code with little directed instruction, ACLTC gives direct, in-class lessons alongside practical exercises to help guide you through the beginning dev world. There is so much to learn that you can easily get overwhelmed, but Jay makes sure that doesn't happen, guiding you through the technologies and tools you need, building a solid dev foundation that will take you from start to finish on any project.

Prior to ACLTC, I spent six months trying to teach myself to code. I ran through Codecademy lessons, purchased Udemy courses, and muddled my way through Michael Hartl's Rails Tutorial. I learned a little, but I lacked a clear workflow, an understanding of what even basic apps needed, and a road map to learn more. When you're just starting to learn programming, it can feel like each new tool you learn leads to five more new things to learn, and without a guiding hand you can quickly get lost. That's where I was, feeling foolish and frustrated, when I found Jay through a meetup. In three oh-so-short months, I learned far more than I had in the previous six. Now I'm humming with app ideas and the skills to build them. Where once I was proud of a single file JS calculator, now I have fully dynamic Rails web applications, my own gems and APIs, and robust Angular front-ends.

I cannot recommend ACLTC highly enough. It changed my life, taking my dev career dreams from some-day-maybe to right now, introducing me to Chicago-based dev recruiters with a portfolio of apps I am proud of. If you have any interest in starting a dev career, apply to ACLTC. You will not regret it.

• Robert Elroy • Student

I have recently finished classes at ACLTC and must say, this was a great experience! Jay Wengrow is a true teacher at heart. He is more than willing to spend the extra time and effort to make sure you succeed. Being someone who has never had any experience coding at all, I believe I truly picked the right place to be in ACLTC! I have heard other boot-camps expect you to pretty much learn on your own with their help. Jay teaches step by step with examples and exercises. This gives you the ability to see how things work as well as practice for yourself too. I am truly confident I will land my first development job from the new skills I have learned from ACLTC! I would truly recommend you research ACLTC if you are considering a career in software development.

It also doesn't hurt that Jay creates an atmosphere for people to develop lasting friendships with your fellow classmates. It's not about who can out do someone else but how we work together to accomplish the team goal.

I should also point out that Jay provided teaching assistants to help out too. These people also proved to be invaluable!

• Sly. N • Graduate

I attended the Anyone Can Learn To Code Web Development Bootcamp (Sept. 2014-Dec.2014) and I must say it was a rewarding experience that has paid off dividends already. ACLTC provided me with the skill set and confidence necessary to become a future developer. Jay Wengrow was an extremely knowledgeable and patient teacher that converted complicated concepts into plain english. Even before finishing the cohert, I've had several interviews with several companies looking for developers with the skills I learned at ACLTC. To anyone looking for a bootcamp with the flexibilty to keep their job while training to become a web developer on a part-time basis, ACLTC is the option to choose.

• Amazing Bootcamp
    - 10/6/2014
    Trevor Jones • Graduate

I finished up the Summer 2014 cohort and it was awesome. I finally built the soccer app I've been wanting to build and feel so empowered. I had a job interview lined up right after the camp as a result of the showcase and I'm starting an internship now! This comes highly recommended!

I chose Actualize because they offered more live instruction hours compared with other bootcamps where a lot of the work done in your own time or watching recorded videos. I also really liked that they have an emphasis on having instructors that are great programmers but also understand how to teach the material.
    After going through the program, I can say that my experience was that those assumptions really came out to be true and I had a great experience. Every part of the curriculum is very well thought out and as you are going through it, you'll notice how things tie together. Things might be difficult and it was frustrating for me when I couldn't wrap my head around topics but after some time it was really cool when the concepts start clicking and I think that is a credit to the curriculum and instructors/TAs. They do a good job of not only teaching coding but also the helping with you as a person making a career change or getting into something you are not familiar with deal with the emotions etc.

• recent grad
    - 7/16/2021
    I just graduated from the Actualize coding bootcamp and was fortunate to have Dani Zaghian as an instructor. I have a masters degree and have taught for a number of years, and I would say that Dani is the best educator I've seen. She is incredibly thoughtful and organized, she presents an unbelievable amount of information over a short 3 months in a concise and efficient manner. She's tough but fair and was, I believe, a real inspiration for our entire cohort. It's a testament to the very thoughtful  curriculum at Actualize. I would also say that Lisa and Sarah in the Job Hacking section of our program are phenomenal, and an invaluable resource.
    Dani was my instructor and she was amazing! I chose actualize as it was live on zoom (which held me accountable) and also during the day rather than at nights/weekends as many other bootcamps are. The 12 weeks flew by, and I truly feel like i learned SO much in such a short period. Everyone in my class was awesome, and the TA's (David, Mackenzie, & Winston) were all super helpful and patient. Lisa the Career counselor has been super helpful every step of the way and I am sure will continue to be after class ends. Doing the capstone project was a great way to prove to myself how much I really did learn and am able to do now. I would highly recommend Actualize to anyone looking to learn full stack web development - it really was a great experience from beginning to end!