Welcome to the January News Roundup, your monthly news digest full of the most interesting articles and announcements in the bootcamp space. Want your bootcamp's news to be included in the next News Roundup? Submit announcements of new courses, scholarships, or open jobs at your school!
Bootcamps in the News
- Obama announced plans to make community college free- should bootcamps be free too?
- Metis is now focusing on Data Science in New York City to prep students for an in-demand career.
- Ward 5 Code Camp caught in Wisconsin regulators' cross-hairs.
- Closing the gender gap: Ada Developer’s Academy helps women learn programming skills for free.
- Codecademy founder Zach Sims writes about teaching tomorrow's programmers.
- Startup Institute is making efforts to address Silicon Valley's diversity divide.
- "GenDIY-er" Spyros is highlighted in HuffPost for his journey through CareerFoundry.
- Lighthouse Labs hosts the second HTML500 and reports back in numbers, words & pictures.
- Flatiron School continues to set the bar, releasing their 2014 Jobs Report- see graduation rates, job placement stats, demographics & more.
- 10 Reasons to Make 2015 the Year your Learn to Code (Infographic).
Fundraising & Acquisitions
- Thinkful raised $4.25M to focus on training web developers and student outcomes.
- Hack Reactor Expands Coding Bootcamp empire by acquiring MakerSquare.
- Online Learning Service Pluralsight Acquires Code School For $36 Million.
- Exclusive scholarships to Turing, Bloc, & Lighthouse Labs available through Course Report.
- DevPoint Labs Announces Full-Ride Scholarships for Women in Utah
- Chicago bootcamp DESIGNATION announces scholarships for qualified veterans.
- Code Fellows is hosting a Portland Info Session on 2/12 (RSVP here) and a Personal Branding talk on 2/9 (RSVP here).
- Tomorrow: Meet the Instructors, Students and Alumni of the Metis Data Science Bootcamp 2/3 at their Open House.
- DevPoint Labs' Launch Day is on 2/12- RSVP to meet the graduates!
- Dev Bootcamp is hosting an iOS Workshop on 2/5 in their NYC campus.
Have a great February!