Web Dev Camp accepts Course Report applications.Get Started!
W

Web Dev Camp

Helsinki

Web Dev Camp

$N/A

Web Dev Camp has an acceptance rate of 13%, of which 80% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Web Dev Camp, 100% graduate. 100% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of n/a.

Matriculation Information

1 Campus

Helsinki

1 Course
Fiskarsintie 513 , Antskog , 10480

Students will learn the skills needed for full-stack web development. Details http://webdev.camp/course

Course Details

0 - 2100€ depending on payment plan
Payment Plan
9000 € basic plan, no cancellation 10000 € flex plan, easy cancellation 10800 € super flex, pay as you go http://webdev.camp/payment
Rebate
10% for every referral
Basic and women only scholarships available (500/1000 respectively)
Interview
Some programming

2 Scholarships

€500 Web Dev Camp Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Web Dev Camp scholarship for €500 off tuition!

• Full Stack Web Development (Helsinki)

€1000 Web Dev Camp Scholarship for Women

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Web Dev Camp scholarship for women for €1000 off tuition!

Offer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship. Scholarships cannot be combined with other offers.

• Full Stack Web Development (Helsinki)

Please submit this review with a valid email

You must provide a valid email to submit your review. Your review will not appear on the live Course Report site until you confirm it.

11/20/2016
Anonymous • Applicant

Our latest on Web Dev Camp

• Alumni Spotlight: Ioana Rosu of Web Dev Camp

Imogen Crispe2/10/2017

A former police officer and legal adviser, Ioana Rosu was looking for a coding bootcamp where she could be totally immersed with no distractions. When she found Web Dev Camp in rural Finland, she left her home and job in Bucharest, Romania to live at the campus and learn to code for eight weeks. Ioana tells us about how effective she found her instructor’s teaching methods, the close bonds she formed with other students, and why being surrounded by nature was key for staying refreshed and inspired.

Q&A

What was your background before you decided to go to Web Dev Camp?

Before I decided to start seriously with coding, I was a police officer, then a paralegal at a law firm, then a legal adviser. I went to a special police training school after high school, and later got a bachelor's degree in law.

Why did you want to change careers and get into technology?

My story with code started like a game. Last year I wanted to learn a new foreign language, and I wanted to use an application for that. I discovered a great app, but while I was trying to learn the language, I actually became more fascinated with the app itself. Like a kid who has a brand new toy, but instead of playing with it, tries to assemble and disassemble the toy to work out the mechanics behind it. I was intrigued by the different parts of the app, and started trying to research how it worked. Then after that, I got more and more interested in coding and I started some online courses. Meanwhile, I was still working full time as a legal adviser.

What types of resources did you use for learning?

I started with Codecademy, and then I tried Treehouse, and a bunch of other online courses. After that, I tried the free Bootcamp Prep course from Flatiron school, and I applied for a scholarship to go to Flatiron’s in-person course. I would’ve gone to New York, but I was one of thousands of applicants and I did not get the scholarship.

What other coding bootcamps did you consider?

I used Course Report to analyze my options. I read about online bootcamp Viking Code School. I also read about Hack Reactor and Galvanize, but at that time, I was only interested in Flatiron, Viking Code School, and Web Dev Camp.

What made you choose Web Dev Camp over the other options?

Web Dev Camp’s autumn cohort was perfect timing for me. After I had applied for Flatiron, I took a break from bootcamp applications over the summer, but still coded every day. I applied for Web Dev Camp at the end of August, and I spoke with Torsten immediately. Everything went well and I was accepted!

Did you specifically want to do a live-in bootcamp?

When you’re learning to code it’s very hard to focus on anything else, so for me it was great to know I would be there on site, without any distractions. When I was at Web Dev Camp, that notion was confirmed– it was extremely good to not be distracted by anything else. It’s hard to describe, but when you are there it feels like you’re at home with a private teacher. I was happy to move to Finland for eight weeks.

Was it important for you to learn Ruby on Rails?

Yes. I had heard Ruby was very good for beginners, so I started to learn Ruby and liked it. I mainly searched for bootcamps that taught Ruby.

Did you ever consider going back to university to do a computer science degree?

I did, and I visited a local university to try to speak to someone there. I realized I didn’t have enough time to study for the admission deadline. Gaining admission is very hard here in Bucharest, and I was working full-time. I didn’t study high school math or science, so it was very hard for me to prepare myself for such an admissions process. I considered the amount of time I could commit to this, and what I could do in that amount of time and decided it was better for me to go to a bootcamp. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to continue with my studies now that I’ve finished the bootcamp, maybe I could do a master's. This is only the beginning of my web development career and education.

What was the application and interview process like when you applied for Web Dev Camp?

I completed the online steps for the application, then spoke with Torsten, Director of Web Dev Camp. We asked each other questions, and talked about my skills, experience, and education. Because I didn’t have a CS background, there was no coding challenge for me.

How many people were in your cohort? Where were they from and what kind of backgrounds did they have?

There were four women including me. One woman was from London, and worked as an engineer and worked at Institute Laue-Langevin in Grenoble, France, before becoming a freelance developer. Another woman was from Brazil, and was a new graduate from Nottingham University in the UK. The other woman is from Hungary, but lives in Finland. She was an experienced testing engineer and was older than all of us. I have a law background – so we were all very different. Only one girl knew Finnish, so we were all speaking English.

How many instructors were there? What is Torsten like as an instructor?

Torsten was the only instructor, we were such a small cohort we didn’t need any extra help. He’s very kind and has a lot of patience. He is very wise, and very creative as well.

How were the lessons structured? Can you give me an example of a typical day?

The whole curriculum was split into four parts. We started with more theory and less practice, and as we got closer to the end it switched to become more practice and less theory. We had a 9am to 6pm schedule, six days a week, but usually studied longer than that each day. In the first few weeks, we would start in the morning with theory, then we would try to individually learn something and present what we learned to the cohort. We would then work on some real examples, in a group or peer-to-peer.

By the end of the course we were feeling the time pressure hanging over our heads, and trying to work more individually on real features for our final project. Luckily, Torsten was always there to guide us when we were stuck. We would also have nature sessions where we went into the forest, to the seaside, or to a local cafe to work, have discussions, and do retrospectives (and sometimes cuddle a beautiful cat). That was different from week to week.

What was the campus like at Web Dev Camp?

The campus is a B&B, which Torsten and his wife run. It’s a big Finnish style house, with a lot of rooms, a big living space, a huge space for our classroom, a sauna, and a giant garden. We spent a lot of time outdoors. We started in September and it was very unusual weather for Finland, without much rain. It was sunny, sometimes cloudy, and then towards the end of the course we had a lot of snow, so it was a real Finnish experience with snowmen and everything. We had the forest right there in the garden, so we were also surrounded by deer, rabbits and squirrels. It was beautiful. I fell in love with the sauna and loved watching the Milky Way or aurora borealis in the sky at night.

Also, the next-door neighbors had dogs, and I love animals very much. I found that a great way to refresh my mind was to take the dogs out for a walk in the forest when I needed a break. I missed my own dog a lot, so that was amazing, and made it feel like I was at home. I had heard a lot of stories about students who had burned out at coding bootcamp – it was amazing to be at Web Dev Camp, where we had so much access to nature and relaxation.

What was it like living and studying with the students and the teacher?

We had our tough moments at the beginning, but after we got past those, it was like a family. I’m good friends with all the girls, and I talk with them regularly. It was a great opportunity for all of us to make new and real friends. When you live with somebody it’s different from just going to school with them. We studied together, ate together, went to the city together, and explored the forest together.

What was the food like?

Torsten and his wife are vegan, so they provided only vegetarian and vegan food. I don’t have a problem with vegetarian because my husband is vegetarian. The food was very nice, we couldn’t complain. We could eat whatever we wanted because we had access to a kitchen and fridge, and we could go to the supermarket. It was like normal family life with shopping lists and everything.

What’s been the biggest challenge while you were learning to code at Web Dev Camp?

For me the biggest challenge was understanding the structure of the data, the models, and the associations between models in Active Record. Torsten worked hard to help me with that.

The Finnish education style is very different from what I was used to in Romania. Finland ranks highly for education in global reports and the approach focuses a lot on the real underlying understanding of things. I immediately noticed the difference. You feel like you aren’t learning, then afterwards you discover that you do know how to do it. This blew my mind! Torsten saw that I couldn’t understand the associations, he tried to explain them, and encouraged me to learn by doing. After that, to make sure I understood, he asked me to present what I had learned to the other girls. This was the best test for me because when you can explain something to someone else, it’s clear that you’ve understood it. This educational approach was extremely beneficial for us.

Another example of the effectiveness of this approach is when we came up with our final project idea. We went to the seaside to get inspiration and started to talk, and imagine, and brainstorm. We didn’t realize that we had actually put together a huge project.

What was that project that you built at Web Dev Camp?

It’s called LASER and is built to be a complex platform for Ruby developers, allowing you to sort the Gems that match your search criteria by (Github) downloads, user score, or by a magical ranking algorithm. You can type in a Gem name, description, or tag, and the search function will quickly find the Gem you need. Or you can add your brand new gems to the platform. It integrates with the GitHub and RubyGems APIs. The app was built with Rails, Sqlite3, MySQL, Bootstrap, Sass, Susy, Haml, SVG, Ransack, Devise, Acts-as-taggable-on, Will_paginate, Capistrano, and is tested and analyzed with RSpec, Capybara, Guard, Code Climate, Travis. LASER is live here: rubylaser.org

How were your previous skills in law and law enforcement useful when you were learning to code?

My previous experience as a whole was very useful. In my previous roles, I had to be extremely methodical, patient, and read and study a lot. I also developed good communication skills. I learned to interact with people, to work out what they want, to provide what they want, and to negotiate. I knew how to adapt immediately and to speak in front of people. I used a lot of those skills at Web Dev Camp. Also, during the bootcamp we went to some meetup events and parties. One of them was the local Ruby Brigade meetups, where we had to present our project to other people – which we found extremely helpful.

How did Web Dev Camp prepare you for the job search? What sort of career advice did they give you?

Torsten gave us very valuable advice about how we should approach the job search. He said something like, you should approach it from the outside to the inside. The idea was to rank the jobs from those that actually didn’t interest you much, to the ones that you really want, then practice your skills with ones you don’t want, and after that, apply to jobs right in the middle that you want and are more prepared for. I think that’s very good advice. Initially, I wanted to just go and jump directly on what I wanted, but Torsten said that might not work out because I may not be prepared for that job yet. Torsten also looked over our applications, our LinkedIn, and Github profiles.

What sort of jobs are you looking for?

Last year we finished just before the holidays in December, so the job hunt didn’t go so well at first. Yet, from the beginning of this year it has skyrocketed! It’s going much better. I’m applying for Ruby developer roles, and I’m not only applying for front end or back end, I’m trying to go to the full stack roles, because I don’t want to narrow my opportunities.

Is there a particular industry where you’d like to be a developer? Perhaps in law enforcement?

I don’t have a specific industry or company in mind, because you never know what you can get. I was thinking about looking for a job related to my previous experience, but I haven’t found any jobs like that, but I will keep looking. I would feel more within my comfort zone to work in an industry that I understand.

How do you stay in touch with the other members of your cohort?

We have our Slack channel, and we talk a lot on email and Facebook. All the women are back in their homes, all learning, and trying to get a job.

How do you keep your skills fresh while you are looking for a job?

I still need some confidence and proficiency with JavaScript, and all that comes with it like JQuery and other libraries. I recently discovered tutorials on the p5.JS library on The Coding Train, a YouTube channel by Daniel Shiffman, a teacher from NYU. He has a really interesting channel, it’s so much fun– so I’m playing with that library all day long.

What advice do you have for other people who are considering a bootcamp?

First of all, read a lot from Course Report and carefully analyze your options. Second, have patience and self-reliance, and third, work a lot. Keep in mind that it can make a big difference if your experience learning to code is a positive one. It was a time when I learned that patience and things well done are much more important than struggling to get a job, whatever job I could take.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

The traditional greeting: Happy Coding!

Find out more and read Web Dev Camp reviews on Course Report. Check out the Web Dev Camp website.

About The Author

Imogen crispe headshot

Imogen is a writer and content producer who loves writing about technology and education. Her background is in journalism, writing for newspapers and news websites. She grew up in England, Dubai and New Zealand, and now lives in Brooklyn, NY.

• Campus Spotlight: Web Dev Camp, Finland

Imogen Crispe11/7/2016

After a career in software development and an inspiring visit to San Francisco coding bootcamps, Torsten Ruger and his wife Raisa converted their bed and breakfast into a live-in coding bootcamp in the Finnish countryside. Web Dev Camp is now teaching their first cohort of future Rails developers in Finland, and aims to create a destination-bootcamp for students around the world. We spoke to Torsten about why he chose to teach Ruby, how students absorb knowledge easily at a live-in bootcamp, and how invigorating it is to study surrounded by untouched nature. Read more about Web Dev Camp's unique setting- and of course, a Finnish coding bootcamp wouldn’t be complete without a sauna!

Q&A

What’s your background and why did you start a coding bootcamp?

I’ve been coding for 35 years and building web applications for 20 years or so. I found Ruby 15 years ago, and the language put the joy of coding back into my professional life. Ruby made the job that I was doing really enjoyable, easy, and fun.

I had been tutoring for Rails Girls over the last few years, and in Spring 2016 my partner Raisa Kaipainen and I visited a few coding bootcamps in San Francisco. We didn’t have a plan in mind, but after attending those meetups and meeting an instructor from Dev Bootcamp, the spark was ignited. I had been searching for an opportunity to teach, and we converted an old village school house (which we were operating as a bed and breakfast) into a live-in bootcamp.

What do you like about the coding bootcamp model?

It is so very different from traditional teaching, because we teach in small, immersive groups. What I dislike about traditional teaching, is this distance between the teacher and student, which inhibits actual transfer of knowledge. I studied physics and minored in computer science, and there is a lot of unnecessary bulk in those degrees. You don’t really learn the practice; you learn a lot of theory, and then you have to learn the “doing” on your own.

When did the first Web Dev Camp cohort start and how is it going so far?

Our first course started at the end of September, and students will graduate in mid-November. Then we’ll have a Christmas break, and in 2017 we’ll start the normal rolling system with courses every month starting from January 16th. So we’ll have two courses at the same time, overlapping, with eight students per group.

The first cohort of students are enjoying the class, and I'm really enjoying it! We are making progress that I didn’t think was possible. We’re building a real application and the students are really happy about that. After two introductory weeks, we are now basically working like a development team, where I’m spending more time helping than teaching. They’ve picked up the material quite quickly; I’ve been very impressed.

What tracks or languages are you teaching at the campus? Why did you choose those? Are they particularly useful in Finland and Helsinki?

We teach Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, and then HTML and CSS. Beyond that baseline, I think people should have freedom to choose the direction they want to take. Perhaps they want to do more back end, more front end, pick up Elasticsearch, or do Docker deployment.

I think Ruby is the best object oriented language for beginners. It’s easy to understand, and along with Rails, it’s the best tool for the web. There are discussions about other better tools to build high volume production sites, but to learn the concepts involved in any web application, I think it’s the best tool, and best language. It’s a good entry level language, it teaches a broad skill set and gives students a good chance to get a job.

What is the tech scene like in Finland?

In the Ruby world in Finland, there are a couple of larger consultancies, and a dozen smaller startups using it. Because our students live here for eight weeks, Web Dev Camp is really open to anyone, even people from America could attend. There is no extra cost- just one flight, and accommodation and food is included.

There are a lot of great meetups in Helsinki. We’ve been to two or three meetups as a class, and we’ll probably go to another one or two. The AWS meetup was a couple of days ago; but there’s also a Ruby meetup, Docker groups, JavaScript Groups, Python groups. The students are even going to present their final work at a Ruby meetup.

Will most of your students look for jobs in Helsinki? What types of companies are hiring developers in Finland?

It’s an international market, I don’t think the majority of our students will be Finnish; I think we will teach more English, German, Italian, French, American. And they will want to look for jobs outside of Finland. Nowadays in Europe the younger generation are quite flexible about where they live, especially after graduation, so we’ll definitely help them find jobs wherever we can in Europe. The Ruby community is quite small and relatively tight knit, so we know a fair number of people, and they are definitely approachable. Raisa and I have been going to Ruby conferences for many years and have built our network here.

What kind of career support or advice will you give to students?

Throughout the course, students have questions about careers, so we talk regularly about career advice. But towards the end of the course, we will have more dedicated help, like how to write resumes, how to approach companies, and how to find the right company. And in the future, we hope to find partner companies who agree to hire our graduates.

Why did you decide on eight weeks for the program?

We looked at the lengths of other coding bootcamps, wrote out our curriculum, then worked out how long it would take to teach. We decided on eight weeks because of the intensity at Web Dev Camp, and because it’s a live-in bootcamp, students absorb knowledge more easily here. We determined that in eight weeks, students will reach our goal of being able to land a Junior Developer job, or join a team without needing a separate mentor.

Do students need to have any programming knowledge before they start Web Dev Camp?

A little bit. Somehow people need to know that this career is for them. The biggest factor for success at Web Dev Camp is actually motivation instead of skill, which a difficult attribute to test for. We find that the easiest way to see if someone is motivated, is to ask if they have sat down on their own and tried out coding already, and know for certain that they like it and want to code full-time.

What kind of time commitment do you expect students to put in?

We’re teaching six days a week, and it’s about 7 hours of learning a day (including the breaks it’s almost 10 hours a day). We start at 9am, then we have two 90-minute sessions in the morning, a lunch break, then three one-hour sessions in the afternoon, then an hour of self-study in the evening. And some students actually do more study than that.

How many instructors and/or mentors do you have?

We have one instructor per group of eight students. At the moment we only have one group, so I am the instructor. And in future I’ll still be teaching, and then we’ll have one tutor per group.

For the bootcamp, we are looking at two groups of 8 maximum, so 16 people, so that it’s not too crowded. And we have off-site accommodation for teachers.

Your location is about an hour outside of Helsinki. Why do you think it’s a great place for a coding bootcamp?

Yes, it’s an hour’s drive. But being in nature gives our students recuperation, decent breaks, and less distraction. When you go out for a break, you come back refreshed. That experience is what we wanted to share here. I used to work in an office before, but I’ve found working in this type of environment, where one can have a good break, go out, get fresh air, see trees and sky and come back and be actually refreshed, makes the work much more productive. You come back from lunch break and it’s as if the morning never happened, in terms of your concentration and ability to take things in. It also makes the learning more productive, so our students are all enjoying it.

What other options are there for people to learn to code in southern Finland?

In Finland, the idea of a “bootcamp” is not very well-understood, because universities are free, so people have a tough time paying for education. But they still have living costs for four years while getting your degree, even if the actual university is for free. So choosing a more condensed program still saves you a lot of money. And once you graduate from a coding bootcamp and get a job, you start earning straight away.

Give us an idea of the campus – how large is it and what can students expect?

Because the campus used to be a bed and breakfast, the bedrooms are nicely decorated. The rooms are shared with two or three students per room, and are quite spacious, mostly with their own shower and toilet. The house used to be the village school, and we use the old classroom (70 sqm) as our workroom, which we have decorated with beanbags, tables and monitors to be a very relaxed working environment.

I teach lessons with an iPad and a monitor, not with a whiteboard. I draw on the iPad with a 55-inch monitor. For work we have lots of monitors to share for different size tables, different size monitors. We have bean bags for people to sit on, so it’s all very cosy.

Since this is Finland, we also have a lovely sauna and a little pool to dip into after the sauna; it’s very nice. Also we have a lovely garden, with several terraces to work at.

Since Web Dev Camp is a live-in bootcamp, how do students take breaks? Are they able to get away from the classroom?

We are in the countryside so there are a couple of farms with horses, and a lot of forest where one can walk, and three lakes within walking distance where you can swim in summer. We have a rowing boat, eight bicycles, and cars.

In the winter, there is cross-country skiing really close to us. We are used to the cold so when it gets cold we just put on more clothes, and life continues. It’s very beautiful because we have so much nature and untouched snow everywhere. The lakes freeze over so you can walk or ski on the lakes.

Close by is a famous artist village, Fiskars, which has nice restaurants and cafes, so civilization and a cappuccino is is only five minutes away.

Are all meals included? What sort of food do you have?

Yes it’s all included. We have very healthy and delicious vegetarian and vegan food. Raisa is an experienced cook, and she makes a warm lunch for the students. Then there is a fridge and kitchenette with ingredients for the students to make morning and evening meals themselves. We also have an outside kitchen and grill.

About The Author

Imogen crispe headshot

• August 2016 Coding Bootcamp News Roundup + Podcast

Imogen Crispe8/31/2016

Welcome to the August 2016 Course Report monthly coding bootcamp news roundup! Each month, we look at all the happenings from the coding bootcamp world from new bootcamps to big fundraising announcements, to interesting trends. This month the biggest news is the Department of Education's EQUIP pilot program to provide federal financial aid to some bootcamp students. Other trends include job placement outcomes, the gender imbalance in tech, acquisitions and investments, and paying for bootcamp. Read below or listen to our latest Coding Bootcamp News Roundup Podcast!

Continue Reading →
  • 16 Coding Bootcamps with Free or Affordable Housing

Imogen Crispe10/13/2017

A coding bootcamp can propel your career in tech to new heights, but that often means quitting a job, uprooting your life, or moving to a new city. Maybe you’re moving to a new city to become a developer and need a short-term housing option. Or perhaps you’re an international student without credit history. Regardless of your background, funds can become tight when committing to a full-time, intensive bootcamp, and suddenly expenses like rent and food can be stressful. Luckily, there are coding bootcamps that make housing easy.

Continue Reading →