shecodes-logo

SheCodes

Lisbon

SheCodes

SheCodes offers part-time coding bootcamps and workshops for women in Lisbon, Portugal and online. SheCodes+ is a 10-week, part-time, full stack web development bootcamp covering HTML, CSS, JavaScript (ES6), React, Git, and GitHub, taught in-person and online. SheCodes also offers short 4-week and weekend beginner courses online and in Lisbon. SheCodes’ mission is to bridge the gender gap in tech programming. The women-only course is donation based and only asks that students donate enough to cover logistics costs.

SheCodes is open to beginners and aims to provide those who want to enter the tech industry with a basic overview of the skills needed to succeed. Women interested in joining SheCodes+ (advanced course) must first complete a short online application meant to assess their motivations. After being approved, applicants will begin the program.

During the course, SheCodes instructors help students build projects using in-demand technologies which they can show to future prospective employers. Instructor Matt Delac is a Full-Stack Engineer specializing in JavaScript and Ruby and has worked with international tech companies such as Envato, Google, and AirBnb. Every student will have a 45-minute mentorship session with Matt to help guide their learning and long-term career.

Recent SheCodes Reviews: Rating 4.91

all (67) reviews for SheCodes →

Recent SheCodes News

• SheCodes Plus

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, React.js
      Cost990
      LocationLisbon
      Students will learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (ES6). Students will work with Git and GitHub to learn how to manage their code. They’ll also be taught, React, one of the industry’s most used frameworks.

• SheCodes Workshop
      - 6/14/2019
      Leonor Carvalho  User Photo
      Leonor Carvalho • Verified via LinkedIn

SheCodes Workshop was amazing!! I think it's the perfect introduction WS to start learning code and frontend things! Thanks one more time!

• Sofia  User Photo
      Sofia • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

SheCodes workshop is an amazing way to get introduced to HTML, CSS and JavaScript. During a two day course, you learn the basics of programming and the languages already mentioned. One could think that in two day you could not possibly understand all of this information, but given its friendly "classroom" environment, the teaching method (say - show - practice) and the continuous application of your knowledge (either through the classroom exercises, homework or the final project) it is certain that you will remember and fully understand the content. Plus, everybody is amazingly friendly - Matt, the volunteers who are always available and the students. I would 100% recommend it!

• Great Experience!
      - 6/12/2019
      Ana Macedo da Cunha Pereira  User Photo
      Ana Macedo da Cunha Pereira • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

My decision to sign up for this course was 100% right. I wanted to try if coding was a good option for me, and it definitely helped me a lot since I’ve been able to get to know how simple and fun coding can be.

Matt is great, the workshop is very intense, and it helped to figure it out what kind of developers we want to become.

• Ângela  User Photo
      Ângela • Verified via LinkedIn

She Codes was an awesome experience! With a fast-paced induction into HTML, CSS and JavaScript it was amazing to feel like I was able to create a landing page from scratch in just a few hours. If coding seems way too much for you, Matt will help you feel motivated and empowered throughout this really fun weekend!

• Lorenna Vieira • Student

It was very interesting to see how much can we do when focusing only on learning how to code. Matt created a very well structured weekend course that gives you the basic notion of creating a webpage.

The course is affordable and the pace is good even to someone that never got in touch with coding before.

• Alexandra Paulo Oliveira • Applicant

I highly recommend anyone interested to take this course. It was a wonderful and a pleasant way to be introduced to the world of coding. You quickly begin to know how to program. Matt teaches it in a simple way, step by step. You quickly learn what you thought it was unthinkable at the outset to achieve in such a short time.

• What a challege
      - 12/19/2019
      Ana Santos • (portuguese teacher) • Graduate
      •  Portuguese teacher;
      • Some skils in design tool;
      • starting a Digital marketing course

Absolutely nothing related with coding and Computer language. So why not a new challenge? It was a completly mindset for me and very challegund, but the way how the course is planned help us and easily take us to upper steps quite fast. It mainly gives you the curiosity of knowing more and i'm considering taking the SheCodes plus :)

• Luciana • Graduate

I really liked SheCodes workshop because it is a weekend of intense learning of HTML, CSS and JS. SheCodes has an affordable price and it is suitable for beginners.
      Matt Delac is very didactic and caring, his team was always ready to help. This event gave me energy and enthusiasm to invest more in this career.

• Mariana Trigo • Delivery Manager

SheCodes is a 2 days hands-on workshop where you will learn the basics of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

The course is very well divided and for each part you will have small exercises to apply what you just learn.

Matt is a phantastic speaker and mentor, he sets a great pace during the 2 days. There is homework to do and a final project to submit in the end, a Landing page, which you will be able to complete after the 2 days.

It was indeed a great experience, due to the subjects I know understand better to discuss with the engineers on my company but also due to being able to code between women, seeing it happening side-by-side with them. It's magical, very powerfull.

• Marisol • Market Intel Analyst • Student

I wish I had made this course or something similar when I was back in school. The workshop gives a nice overview of what coding is, how easy it could actually be if you're patient and how it can open doors in your career. I highly recommend this course, at least knowing the basics since then you'll understand how important it is to know this basic stuff in this tech era. It'll be 2020 in one month! everyone should be learning this in school!!

• Andreia Oliveira • Student

I have just completed the SheCodes in Lisbon. I am very happy with the progress we made in a weekend. The course is very well structured: it is fast-paced, but with breaks to assimilate content and room for questions. The homework and final project are also a great tool to verify our learning and test it by ourselves- should we have any question the team is there for us. The staff was very helpful and attentive. I always wanted to learn how to code, and this course, by being hands-on-approach, demystified difficulties that I had. I highly recommended it! Moreover, this course creates an inspiring and thriving community I am glad to be taking part in.

• Suzana Gonçalves • Sales Department • Graduate

I went to Shecodes workshop on this week-end because I wanted to discover how code works since IT is more and more on our lives and, to meet people in the code industry to understand what they really do.

Well it turns out that it was more than that, not only I learn the basics but I also tried on some code and met very interesting people (attendees, former shecodes students and Matt). It's a very intensive workshop, don't get discouraged if you don't get all of it on the moment.

Obviously, you can't learn how to code in a week-end but it shows you how to get to it and gives you some advises. After the workshop, you will know if code is your thing or not.

Matt (the "teacher") transmitted his passion for code and was very welcoming; and Sofia (a former student from shecodes who became a Developer) was very helpful, transmitted as well her passion for code and shared her experience.

I really enjoyed the workshop; I speak several languages and coding may be the next one. It was definitely a good experience for me.

• Tânia Nóbrega • Instructional Designer • Student

I had an awesome experience with SheCodes. It was a two days workshop with a total of 12 hours, plus the homework and final project which consists in developing a landing page.

The two days are intensive, which makes it challenging to keep yourself on top of what is being taught and it might be confusing if you get distracted for a while.

It's a lot of information to take in, but even at a fast pace the sessions are well organized and Matt (teacher) was able to make it always interesting, so you don't have to worry about getting bored at anytime.

You'll have exercises during the sessions and technical assistants that will help you if you have any doubts. Everything happens really quickly and it will keep you on your toes to get everything done.

For someone that has zero experience in programming it was a challenge, but in the end i felt like I was able to leave with a good sense of every subject that I learned which made me very curious to keep searching and practising.

The overall environment was amazing! At the end of each day we'll have time to talk with our colleagues and the SheCodes team. It was nice talking with everyone specially because we all had different backgrounds.

I strongly recommend SheCodes if you're ready for a new challenge! Like Matt said "It's not easy but it's not rocket science!".

• Gina M. • Community Support + UX Designer

I honestly came out of this 2-day workshop with SO much more confidence and knowledge about front-end development—particularly Javascript. I have taken a total of 3 in-person web development courses:

1) University course
      2) General Assembly
      3) SheCodes

This was the only one where I felt that I truly understood Javascript, which was my end goal. I HIGHLY recommend this course because for the value and cost you cannot go wrong.

Matt conducts the workshop with humor, knowledge, no-nonsense, and ACTUAL quality control. You can't get your certificate unless you complete the final project, which I feel really ensures that there is actual meaning behind the certificate of completion, unlike a lot of other certification courses.

I'm definitely considering doing the SheCodes plus once I finish my other course, since I want to explore more front-end :)

Thank you to the SheCodes team for the wonderful experience.

• Great experience!
      - 10/2/2019
      Lívia Jambo • Student

I attended SheCodes Workshop in Lisbon and I just loved it ! I was really curious about coding, but I was also a little bit afraid that I wouldn't be able to understand it. I had a great time during the classes and, most important, I found it is not that hard since it was really well explained. I hope I can learn more in the next classes.

• Ladies, let's go!
      - 10/2/2019
      Maria Geadas • Student

Oh yes, if you, beginners like myself, think you are coming for lectures about coding, get prepared to "get your hands dirty"! You'll find yourselves actually coding since the first day. No fear (no time for it), when in panic, you just look around, and help will come. and after it, you'll probably want to keep on coding...

• Renata Dias • Mechanical Engineer • Graduate

I took the 2 days workshop in Lisbon in September and it was great! I'd had already had some experience with coding in college, but only somewhat superficial. Coming from so many different places and backgrounds, it was amazing on how much progress we all made in just two days. The environment was pretty relaxed and everyone from the event organization was super nice and always available to help. For women who are interested in learning more about coding, I think this workshop is a great way to start!

• Tanja

I had no clue about coding. After this workshop I fastly realized, that I really like it and I am able to do it! Matt and his team are great! The training was hard, but I learned so much, and I want to continue: So I decided to join SheCodes+ in Lisbon.

SheCodes provides you any time the content of the courses and Matt is really good in teaching. His team always provides a great support. With chats you are aleways in touch with everyone and you can exchange questions and knowledge.

You have no other chance than listening and challenging yourself, because the training makes you doing it!

• Pauline • Applicant

I attended the online training pilot for 1 month, and I thought the format was really great!
      As I was working at the same time I thought this class was flexible and well explained.
      We had one live classes per week and then we could learn independently during the week and create our own project.
      There is a slack channel in case we need help, and Matt is a really good teacher.
      I really enjoyed it and it made me want to learn even more!

• Zeynep Tangil • Student

Workshop was an amazing experience and it is unbelievable how much we have learned during two days! I had no previous knowledge about coding, but it was easy to follow the instructions as we have learned step by step and able to practice on spot. It is a tense weekend but so much fun so recommend anyone who has an interest!

• Great Experience!
      - 7/30/2019
      Sofia Casenave • Project Manager • Graduate

When I started this workshop I didn't know anything about code. Matt managed to explain everything in a very approachable, sucint and humored way. The fact that we made many exercises helped me a lot to apply the knowledge recently acquired. After this wonderful weekend I understand a lot better what coding means and its huge power and possibilities if we pursue this career in the future. It definitely gave me the boost I needed and the will to keep learning HTML, CSS and Javascript! If anyone is as curious as I am to be launched into the universe of coding SheCodes is the place to be!

• SheCodes Workshop
      - 7/29/2019
      Sofia Nunes

SheCodes made me develop a taste for coding which I didn't realize I had! I would recommend it to anyone who wants to expand their knowledge of coding and front-end development

• Dora • QA Funcional Tester • Student

I had a 2 day workshop about the basics of coding, in Decembre 2018. I dont have any background in the IT career, in fact i studied phychology.

Matt was the instructor i'm so gratefull for that. It was intense but i feel that I learned a lot.

Now, i work as QA, i still have a lot to learn but i feel that She Codes workshop give me the motivation and the strenght to carry on.

Thank you so much to all of SheCodes team :D

Dora

• Silviana Uta • Online Project Manager • Graduate

SheCodes was one of the best experiences I have with workshops/courses - probably my excitement and the fact that we were a group of women added up to it.

I am a fan of fast-paced, hands-on courses, that is what works best for me in terms of learning. In this sense, SheCodes fits perfectly my learning style. During the weekend we managed to get the basics of coding, had plenty of exercises meant to help us understand better the concepts and in the end finished with an assignment in which we had to apply everything we learned before.

Matt was a really cool instructor, very professional, structured and clear in his speech. On top of that, he had quite funny geeky jokes :)

All in all, it was a good experience that I recommend to any woman curious to know more about coding.

• Awesome
      - 7/1/2019
      Carina Freitas • Software Tester • Applicant

Two days that passed really fast. We had an introduction to HTML, CSS and javascript that allowed us to understand how they work and how they are integrated with each other. As a software tester, I saw some improvements in my day-to-day work. I must recommend this workshop to anyone who wants to start programming