Level Effect is a premier training provider of cyber security courses that offers a 14-week, part-time, live online Cyber Defense Analyst bootcamp. Using the Foundry cyber learning platform, students engage in a hands-on immersive environment to learn, practice, and master the necessary skills and tradecraft to both attack and defend networks. The members and instructors of Level Effect come from deep technical backgrounds within the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) to include the National Security Agency (NSA). Level Effect’s courses are designed to be highly technical and hands-on by going beyond conceptual exposure of topics and focusing on solving real-world challenges and problems faced by organizations every day.
The Cyber Defense Analyst (CDA) bootcamp ensures that students go beyond comprehension and a fundamental ability to use cyber tools, in order to master the analytical and complex scenarios facing organizations every day as they battle evolving and advanced adversaries. Students will be challenged throughout the course, which culminates with the Cyber Defense Certified Professional Capstone where students skills will be tested. In this bootcamp, students will validate their skills and ability to perform on the job with real systems, networks, data, and challenges. Students will learn Windows, Linux, Networking, Forensics, Malware Analysis, Threat Hunting, Threat Intelligence, Hacking, Network Defense, Incident Response, Security Operations, and PowerShell. The CDA bootcamp curriculum provides the necessary knowledge and skills required for certification completion in: Cybersecurity, Networking, Windows Enterprise Networks, Advanced Windows OS, Security Operations, Linux OS, Adversary Tactics, Network and Computer Forensics, Memory and Malware Analysis, Threat Hunting, and Cloud Security. Students should be prepared to dedicate 15 hours a week to the bootcamp, and class is held Monday through Friday from 7PM-9PM CST.
Level Effect Cyber Defense Analyst bootcamp is designed for those interested in entering the cybersecurity field, IT personnel who need to know how to defend networks from attack, and manager and operations personnel who require a deeper technical understanding of Cyber Defense. Bootcamp students will have the opportunity to earn a Cyber Defense Certified Professional (CDCP) certificate.
Recent Level Effect Reviews: Rating 5.0
Recent Level Effect News
- What is a Coding Bootcamp Like?
- How Frank Pivoted Careers into Cybersecurity with Level Effect
- Ultimate Guide to Cyber Security Bootcamps
- Linux, Networking, Data Analytics , Network Security, Penetration Testing, SIEM Administration
OnlinePart Time15 Hours/week15 Weeks
Start Date August 29, 2022 Cost $9,500 Class size 35 Location OnlineThe Cyber Defense Analyst (CDA) Bootcamp curriculum covers cybersecurity, networking, and networking communications. Bootcamp students will learn about the services and protocols of Windows enterprise networks, including how to manage, configure, and harden roles and policies against network attacks. Students will learn advanced Linux OS, Windows OS, security operations, and SIEM skills. Bootcamp students are taught how to use the intelligence analysis process used by the U.S. Intelligence community. Students also learn advanced adversary tactics, threat hunting, threat intelligence, network and computer forensics, memory, malware analysis, and cloud security skills. Upon completion of the bootcamp, students will take on the role of a Cyber Defense Analyst for a professional exam that is one week in length and fully hands-on to demonstrate their learned skills–no multiple choice. Students will have the opportunity to earn a Cyber Defense Certified Professional (CDCP) certification upon passing this exam. Classes are live and take place from Monday through Thursday from 7-9pm CT with an optional Friday session from 5-7pm CT. Students can expect to spend around 15 hours per week completing the required work.
Deposit 1000 FinancingWe've partnered with:
Head over to our website to apply.
- Climb Credit
- MIA Share
Tuition Plans Up front via Credit/Debit Climb Credit - 6/18month interest free, and 36 month loans Meritize - 1.5/3/5yr loans MIA Share - ISA (Income Share Agreements) Scholarship Level Effect offers full and partial scholarships to students that cannot afford the bootcamp directly or with any of our finance options. Students must contact us and discuss before approval. We close scholarships 4 weeks before starting each bootcamp.
Minimum Skill Level The bootcamp is designed for those interested in entering the cybersecurity field, IT personnel who need to know how to defend networks from attack, and manager and operations personnel who require a deeper technical understanding of Cyber Defense. Prep Work Level Effect hosts a free Cyber Security Fundamentals course to equip students with the basic knowledge they will need to start the bootcamp. It takes approximately 12 hours to complete and is a prerequisite for the bootcamp. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
More Start DatesAugust 29, 2022 - Online Apply by August 19, 2022January 09, 2023 - Online Apply by January 06, 2023May 01, 2023 - Online Apply by April 21, 2023
- Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Level Effect scholarship for $500 off tuition!
EligibilityOffer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship.
- Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp (Online)
Level Effect Reviews
19 reviews sorted by:
- I did all the research for you!- 3/23/2022Adam D • SOC Analyst • Graduate • Course: Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInYou can without a doubt stop your search for the right cybersecurity bootcamp. Of course, you should always do your due diligence when investing a significant amount of money in your future, but I'm here voluntarily telling you to look no further.
For me, Level Effect hit all the right notes: a small class size taught by industry experts; an accessible platform to complete the many hours of live instruction, labs, and coursework; TAs who work in the industry and aren't hired after graduating to inflate employment statistics; and tons of career support interwoven throughout the course.
I'm one of the many career switchers in my cohort that came in with hardly any technical cybersecurity knowledge. Though a strong desire to learn and apply yourself is a must, the instructors will provide you with the tools and knowledge to break into the field. The course is not easy by any means and will take many hours of work to complete. While that may sound daunting, I had an absolute blast and couldn't wait for class to start, even after a long day of work.
The instructors do an amazing job of providing real world examples and keeping the course fresh, including the latest in the cyber world. In addition to class and lab work, the instructors are also available for office hours if you need to reinforce a particularly challenging topic.
The capstone was no joke, but there's nothing like preparing several reports to ensure you've grasped the various cyber concepts. The Cyber Defense Certified Professional certification absolutely prepared me to crush technical interviews. And speaking of interviews, the instructors provide great career support, including mock interviews, resume prep, and job offer negotiations. It’s not just talk – I got a job offer I wanted to review and the instructors got back to me on the phone in a matter of hours.
I couldn't in good conscience provide an accurate review until I had been hired into a cybersecurity role. Well, that happened; I was hired into a SOC Analyst role in a Fortune 50 company (all without Security+, working at a help desk, etc.).
So, really, the choice is easy!
Response From: Greg Ake of Level EffectTitle: Founder - Lead InstructorWednesday, Mar 23 2022Switching careers is no easy feat and it is apparent that your thoroughness and drive is the secret ingredient to success. We are excited about your new job and are grateful we were able to be a part of your journey. As always, reach out if you need anything. The end of the bootcamp is not the end of our support and interaction by any means!
- Don't over think it- 3/20/2022Matt • Course: Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInI attended Level Effect in late 2020. I had minimal previous IT experience, but I wanted to be in IT. I researched several boot camps for several years. All the other boot camps had mixed reviews, which made me leery. I stumbled upon Level Effect, and I did my initial call with Greg. The call went fantastic, it was honest, and you could tell Greg was genuinely devoted to the product he and the founders created. He did not try to sell me on a product, instead I felt like we were having an honest conversation about the reality and commitment needed in order to successfully pass the program.
The class itself was intense, thorough and well constructed. It was not easy by any means. It pushed me and challenged me to dig deeper into my studies and guided me for career readiness. There were moments where I thought I was going to crack, but the instructors did a good job of pulling me back into the program and providing the additional support that I needed.
The best advice that I have and as cliché it sounds, don’t over think it.
Response From: Greg Ake of Level EffectTitle: Founder - Lead InstructorWednesday, Mar 23 2022First, thank you for the feedback and insight into your experience. While there are many open positions in this field, finding your way into one can be done through many paths and will require hard work and a tenacious attitude. You have all the ingredients to make this happen and we are here to support every step of the way.
- Practical Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp- 9/6/2021Remy P. • Application Security Consultant • Graduate • Course: Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInLevel Effect is an intense program but the difference from any other cyber security Bootcamp is they teach you practical skills. This was my second cyber security Bootcamp and I can honestly say I learned 1000% more in this course then the last place I went. I am not bagging on the last place because they did set me up with some fundamentals, but Level Effect took its training to another level. They really drill down on a few select topics versus learning just a little but about everything. Rob, Greg, Anthony and Will are amazing instructors. They have worked all kinds of jobs in cyber and really know what this industry needs more of and how to train for it. I felt more comfortable coming out of this Bootcamp than the other 2 (web development and cyber security).
Almost everything you do at Level Effect is hands on. They train you for a SOC Analyst 1 position which honestly is closer to SOC 2. This course will expose you to real-world challenges ranging from threat intelligence, system triage, network analysis, and malware analysis. They teach you how to triage a system, write a report, and remediate the infected machine. You will have a lot of hands-on practice with known industry tools (e.g. Sysinternals Suite, Wireshark, Mitre Att&ck), report writing and triaging systems.
Unlike other Bootcamps they do not preach a job percentage of students who have gotten jobs, instead they really focus on the training which I liked a lot. They do give job assistance on what to look for, mock interviews, resume writing, but they do not boast about getting people jobs.
Although my current job is on the red team, I thoroughly have a better understanding on how cyber security works as a whole and I am able to understand how to truly attack and defend a system.
- The BEST Cyber Security Bootcamp- 12/12/2020Christopher Blase • Cyber Security Consultant • Student • Course: Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInI have taken another book camp and me and my classmates came away feeling jaded. I then took a chance on Level Effect based upon a recommendation and it was the best decision I ever made.
The founders have over a decade of experience and have served Intel in the military and Booz Allen Hamilton at the NSA. Greg and Rob are amazing instructors and really want every student to succeed. The value of the course is beyond simple the material. Like Kung-Fu masters teaching their students, Greg and Rob pass on their experience on top of the knowledge provided. I have done a lot of research and I just haven't found any other certification or course that teaches all the little nuances that Level Effect does. They truly go above and beyond.
The Foundry platform they use works very well and the labs really help to reinforce what you learn in a easy to use manner.
Level Effect's CDA is where I recommend you start your path on being Kung-Fu Cyber Defenders. You would have a very solid and firm foundation.
Lastly, this course is very inexpensive and provides an immense amount of value.
If you have any concerns or would like to talk in more depth about my experiences feel free to reach out on LinkedIn.
- Cyber Defense Analyst- 11/6/2020Daniel C. • Consultant • Graduate • Course: Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInThe construct of this course is absolutely unmatched. I have not come across any other curriculum that demystifies the growing number of cyber roles and titles, and how they unite in a security operation environment. Greg and Rob's real world experience is built into each course subject and provides a unique perspective on analysis. A majority of the presentation and supplemental material is reserved for self study so that each student gets as much hands-on lab time as possible during each live session. The virtual environment is quick and easy to spin up with almost no manual installation by the student. If you are tired of bouncing around within multiple training platforms trying to understand all the facets of what a cyber defense analyst really is, then this course is for you!
- Second review, past student.- 10/6/2020Robert P • Cyber Security Defense Apprentice • Graduate • Course: Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInAs a 2x college drop out who has already spent at least $8,000 on education prior to taking this course. I can now say I have finished the level effect course There are some bumps on the road as it is a start up company. There were there fair share of bugs with their foundry platform, that they made sure was always fixed as soon as being brought up to them. And if you felt they had not gone over the content you had wanted enough for your educational experience, if you voiced this concern to them, they make sure the next class to cover this topic in depth. In fact there were numerous occasions the instructors stayed on with me after class to help me understand complex topics. Level Effect staff go above and beyond not only for the benefit of their company, but for your own success. After speaking with anyone from Level Effect, you would see how passionate they truly are about this, and how extremely knowledgeable as well. I can say I have definitely learned far more at Level effect than I did during my time in college. I would of had to spend a lot more money at college to get access to the same level of information that Level Effect has provided me.
Level Effect has taught me multiple useful Cyber Security skills: I know how to threat hunt a windows system for malware and conduct Binary Analysis, I can triage a network for malicious activity utilizing tools such as Wireshark and through log analysis. I already had a base understanding of networking from the 1 year of college at Western Illinois University and 1 year at community college I had taken, However they taught in a week more information than I had gotten than in a year at either place. I now have a strong understanding of networking concepts. Largely due to the fast pace atmosphere of college, I feel the 1 on one teacher time offered with this made the learning experience monumentally better for me. I had a little bit of linux experience from my own research struggling to use Kali Linux, but now because of this class I have a pretty good understanding of using a linux box. I Also have very high level windows knowledge now thanks to this class and now know how to set up a network domain for a business, setting up file sharing servers, DNS and DC servers, also I can set up group and user policy objects. I got experience with all sorts of tools, and I learned about a wide variety of cyber security attacks, how they are conducted, ways they are prevented. Not only do I have the knowledge, but I now also have the confidence to walk into an interview and actually explain what I've done and how I can help them with their business. This is all thanks to the resources, and staff of Level Effect. If this all sounds like things you want to do then you should take this class. They have helped me the best they can with my job search, crafting my resume, giving me tips, and sharing me on linkedin. So far I have had 2 jobs interviews that so far I have been turned down for. Apparently they both had went with a candidate with a lot more SOC experience. Which is fair, but kind of makes me SMH they arent applying for higher level roles with the experience they possess. Regardless I will not let this stop me in my pursuit to become a Cyber security Analyst. And the only reason I can begin this journey is x100000000 because of Level Effect. I am only writing this review because I am genuinely grateful to Level Effect for the path they have put me on, and I believe they deserve the recognition.
- Level Effect’s Cyber Defense Analyst virtual bootcamp provides an excellent well-rounded course that begins with a high-level overview on Cyber Security essentials and finishes with threat hunting and reverse engineering malware. Each iteration of material intertwines with past and future lessons that provided us with a more complete picture on what to look for and how it is affecting our networks.The pilot class did have some growing pains, but Greg Ake and Robert Noeth always made themselves available to answer any questions and respond to student feedback. This is an excellent class for beginner to intermediate level SOC analyst that are looking for some great hands-on experience and group collaboration. I really enjoyed this class and the instructors. I am look forward to what Level Effect will offer up next!
- A Truly Practical Bootcamp- 7/31/2020Will N • Student • Course: Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInI am currently enrolled in the CDA course and am about 6 weeks into the three month program; I can already see a huge difference in my knowledge base. The course is about a 30/70 split between online video content and labs (including labs with instructors) which is a refreshing change of pace for online learning. Be ready to engage!
Both Greg and Rob are knowledgable, personable, and always available to answer any relevant questions. Believe me, you will have questions.
The course is fast-paced and offers challenging labs that will force you to think critically and put yourself into the shoes of a cyber threat actor. As a student studying for my Security+ exam , I believe this course has better contextualized the Security+ content and has prepared me for the exam better than any other course I've been able to find. Everyone in IT should take this course!
- Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp- 1/21/2022Anthony V. • Developer • Graduate • Course: Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp • Campus: OnlineI finished this course Dec 2021 and enjoyed my experience overall. This is my second cybersecurity bootcamp and every bootcamp curriculum is different. This course focuses more on defensive best practices and triage within Windows environments. It's very well structured by introducing core fundamentals via live and video lectures, however the lab material is document based and a little underdeveloped compared to other educational platform options that are out there. The instructors are very knowledgeable and offer open office hours and make themselves available for students that have questions or require assistance. The course instructors all have intelligence backgrounds, but what makes this bootcamp different is the passion they have for the craft and desire to teach. This course benefits exponentially from Will Nissler and wouldn't be the same without him.
- Awesome Cyber Bootcamp- 5/22/2021Michael Cheng • Graduate • Course: Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp • Campus: OnlineI am a graduate of Level Effect's CDA course. It is a 3 month intensive program that focuses on training entry-level people as a SOC Analyst 1. This course will expose you to real-world challenges ranging from threat intelligence, system triage, network analysis, and malware analysis. They teach you how to triage a system, write a report, and remediate the infected machine. You will have a lot of hands-on practice with known industry tools (e.g. Sysinternals Suite), report writing and triaging systems. By the end of course, you will be able to confidently triage a system and come up with a way to fix it.
The course includes video lecture, labs, group work and challenges. All the instructors (Greg, Rob, Anthony and Will) are knowledgeable, personable, and available to answer any relevant questions. They continue to help even when you've graduated providing services like job support (e.g. providing mock interviews of what potential employers will ask you during an interview.) They are always open to suggestions and feedback to help improve their course and Foundry platform so don't be afraid to let them know!
I highly recommend this class to anyone interested in cybersecurity specifically if they want to become a SOC Analyst 1. The people behind Level Effect are awesome people and it was a great experience to learn from them. They really helped grow my love and interest for cybersecurity. I'm so happy that I took the chance on their course and I wouldn't have gotten as far without them.
- Aaron G • Consultant • Graduate • Course: Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp • Campus: OnlineThe short summary -
1. CDAB initiates its trainees into the field of Cybersecurity and gives them the necessary material and skills to become employable as Security Analysts
2. The course doesn't just give trainees technical skills; it also teaches them how to begin thinking like an Analyst
2. CDAB content is taught by seasoned Cybersecurity professionals who are excellent instructors, and who are devoted to the success of their trainees
3. All materials (such as VMs) are provided on an easy-to-use platform
4. Online course material is available even after course completion
The longer version + my personal experience -
After deciding to pivot my career to Cybersecurity, I began looking into training courses that would prepare me to become employable in the field. I came across the CDAB after reading an endorsement of the course and its instructors on LinkedIn and decided to look into it. As I read the course outline and what the course would accomplish for the successful student (looking to enter the field of Cybersecurity), I thought to myself "well this looks too good to be true"...
I reached out to a friend who works in a senior-level position in the field and spoke with him about the course - he helped me put together a list of questions and a general strategy that would help me verify, as best as I could, ahead of time that the CDAB would be worth investing. I then arranged a phone call with Greg. Greg answered all of my questions and also connected me with CDAB graduates who, like myself, did not come from an IT background. The CDAB graduates advised me that the course was designed for someone in my position, and that if I were to run into any difficulties I would only need to reach out to Greg and Rob who would assist me with what I'd need. Following these conversations, I decided to sign up.
Not having an IT background, much of the subject matter in the first 3 weeks overwhelmed me. I reached out to Rob for advice and assistance, and we set a time each week during which he would help me break down key aspects of the content, ensuring that I would not fall behind. Fast forward to Week 12 and I was already at advanced stages of interviews for 2 Cybersecurity positions.
For those looking to enter the field of Cybersecurity, and for those looking to become Security Analysts, I highly recommend CDAB. The course material is well-constructed, attainable, and relevant. Further, its instructors are Cybersecurity professionals with a wealth of knowledge and experience, who are invested in their trainees (even following course completion).
- Excellent course for real world experience- 12/2/2020Gregory Melton • Sr. Lead Technologist • Graduate • Course: Cyber Defense Analyst Bootcamp • Campus: OnlineThe CDA Bootcamp is an incredible course with the most relevant real-world materials I have seen to date. The LE staff have a special blend of entertainment, education and true expertise that made it fun to learn in-depth cyber concepts remotely. I initially had my doubts about a virtual course with this time line but I quickly found the pace and unique set up convenient and engaging. The course authors and company founders (Greg Ake and Rob Noeth) were the ones actually delivering the lectures and content. Having the creators as the teachers provided an amazing layer of depth and nuanced familiarity that is hard to come by in certification programs and formal education.
There is so much to like about the course but I feel their proprietary platform for lab and content delivery is particularly worth mentioning. Their entire lab environment contained on their infrastructure, and accessible through a web browser. This means I did not have to download VMs and could access my notes and exercises even from different computers. The virtual ecosystem they have created, combined with the depth of content, and style of delivery makes this the best course I have taken.
The materials covered in this course will put the student at a distinct advantage in technical interviews and substantially lower the barrier to entry across the cyber realm. Those who already work in this field will benefit from additional depth of understanding for processes, tool techniques, and advanced tactics for cyber defense.