learn-academy-logo

LEARN Academy

LEARN Academy

LEARN Academy is a 3-month web development bootcamp, with a 1-month internship, in San Diego, California. Aimed at helping students transform their interest in programming into a career, the curriculum focuses on JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, HTML, CSS, React, Git, GitHub, Pair Programming, and more. LEARN Academy is a hands-on, intensive course with daily exercises and coding challenges, landmark skill assessments, industry guest speakers and expert classroom instruction to keep students challenged every day.

After three 3 months of instruction, each student interns at a local San Diego-based tech company to apply their new skills in a real-world work environment and make valuable connections in the industry. As well as teaching students how to code, LEARN covers everything students need to know to land that first job in tech – writing resumes, developing a portfolio, negotiating a good salary, preparing for interviews, learning how to network, and setting up a LinkedIn profile. Even after graduates get that first job, LEARN will help develop your career through ongoing support, alumni events, and additional training.

Recent LEARN Academy Reviews: Rating 4.59

all (32) reviews for LEARN Academy →

Recent LEARN Academy News

Read all (7) articles about LEARN Academy →
  • Full Time Web Developer Bootcamp

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Front End, Ruby
    September 30, 2019
    San Diego
    For three months, you'll spend every weekday from 9 am to 5 pm in our classroom learning how to be a web developer. We'll start the curriculum with the basics, then slowly introduce new concepts. Every day, we'll teach you something new and then you'll get to apply what you learned in a coding challenge. Our curriculum focuses on JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, HTML, CSS, React, Git, GitHub, Pair Programming, and more. At the end of the boot camp, you will get a month-long internship at a local tech company in San Diego. Guaranteed. The internship is a critical component of your time at LEARN where you will get to apply the new skills you've learned, make new and valuable connections, and expand your web development skills. At LEARN, we don't just teach you to code. We teach you how to find a job. We'll teach you everything you need to know to land that first job. Writing resumes, developing your portfolio, negotiating a good salary, preparing for interviews, learning how to network, setting up your LinkedIn profile, and much more. And, even after you get that first job, LEARN will help you develop your career through ongoing support, alumni events, and additional training.
    $500.00
    Financing available through SkillsFund and Affirm.
    We are now offering partial Scholarships & Military Discounts
    Mostly we find that the best candidates are students who have been learning on their own via online learning for a few months. They are now at the point where they want to take the next step.
    We ask our students to complete some exercises on HTML/CSS and JavaScript.
    Interview
    September 30, 2019 - San DiegoApply by September 30, 2019
    November 18, 2019 - San DiegoApply by November 18, 2019
  • Jumpstart Weekend Bootcamp

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Front End
    November 8, 2019
    $499
    San Diego
    Jumpstart is an introduction to modern web development boiled down to a single weekend where you will learn the fundamentals of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Whether you need an introduction to programming, or you are thinking about studying online, or you're thinking about doing a fulltime bootcamp program, Jumpstart will help you figure out your next step. We provide everything you need for the weekend. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are provided, along with beverages and snacks. You just need to bring your curiosity! Ready to LEARN more? When you enroll as a student in a fulltime bootcamp program at LEARN after finishing your Jumpstart bootcamp, we'll credit the full amount of your Jumpstart tuition towards the price of your fulltime bootcamp.
    $499.00
    Interview
    November 8, 2019 - San DiegoApply by November 8, 2019

2 Scholarships

• $500 LEARN Academy Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive LEARN Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!

Offer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship. & This scholarship cannot be combined with other offers. & No eligibility restrictions.

• Full Time Web Developer Bootcamp (San Diego)
  • $500 LEARN Academy Scholarship

• All courses in San Diego

• Do it!
    - 12/23/2015
    KC • Software Engineering Intern • Graduate

If you're looking for a challenge and you want your career to be a creative outlet, this bootcamp is a good jumpstart into the inventive world of computer programming. LEARN will introduce you to the popular technologies used by many companies (Git, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, SQL, RSpec, Ruby, and Rails) and give you the space to create webpages and web applications with motivated peers. A big plus with LEARN is that they're well connected in the programming industry so you're exposed to meeting a lot of developers from around the world. Also, you're given real world coding experience by being placing into an internship at the end of the program.

I was apart of LEARN's third cohort.  As many of my classmates and instructors would say, we looked forward to (almost) every day :)

I would say I had a fantastic time so far.  Learned much more about Rails and of course utilizing common shortcuts such as utilizing devise and omniauth.  The Ruby, Postgres, and JavaScript sections were pretty good.  I kind of wish the their was a bit more beef on the rails section.  Nonetheless there is a vast amount of reaources out there and having another programmer look over your code realtime is amazing.

• Disappointed
    - 2/26/2019

I understand that this program seems to have been a success for a handful of individuals . The technique of teaching they provide may work for some, but not all. Everyone has a different learning style and Learn only supports one way, which is peer programming. I understand this is great within a working environment, but not everyone is able to solidify information in that manner when learning something new. When I am spending  8 hrs. a day, plus $14,500,  I should feel I have used my time wisely, rather when I going home frustrated. Expressing my concerns, which they don't like you to complain about anything, just constructive criticism, I was pretty much told maybe this program was not right for me. Which it was not and I withdrew. But that kind of attitude towards some one interested in learning a new skill is undiscerning. They should be more understanding and accommodating to each person's learning style.

Learn promotes that their camp is for beginners, which it is not. It is more geared towards people with some kind of background in programming, not just an interest. I feel their screening process should be more thorough, with a technical part before officially being accepted into the program. The curriculum was disorganized and hard to follow at times. There are reputable sights to learn Web Development, build a portfolio, provide you skills for interviewing and finding a job. These sights do not cost much or are for free. Not sure what Learn feels they are providing for $14,500, other than  lining their pockets with money. Please consider other options before throwing your money away or going into debt.

Pros:
    - Excellent career services
    - Internship included, and some were paid
    - Curriculum reflected current trends/job opportunities
    - Flexible with daily lessons based on student needs
    - LEARN is very involved in the local tech community, so there are a lot of connections to be made
    - Good work/life balance
    - School is understanding and respectful of students' external commitments
    - The people who work at LEARN are wonderful

Cons:
    - Learning material on website sometimes unclear or had mistakes, and continued uncorrected despite student feedback
    - Few opportunities taken to assess students' knowledge, no code reviews
    - Morning lessons frequently ended with "So does that make sense to everybody? *silence* Great!"
    - Instructors always willing to help, but not always experienced enough to be able to help
    - Pair programming required, but can be more inhibiting than helpful depending on individual learning style

Bottomline:
    - Glad I did LEARN, certainly a good way to change careers and get your foot in the door with the internship. At the end of the day I'm confident I'll get a job and I'm excited to start a new career, but it was a windy road at times

Advice to LEARN:
    - designating a scrum master would help with continuous improvement
    - if resources allow, code reviews would be very beneficial to students

This Ruby on Rails bootcamp has a solid curriculum. It starts with the basics, HTML, CSS and moves on to JavaScript, JQuery and Ruby on Rails. Their instructors are patient and help you with problems without giving you the answer. They are invested in their students and really want you to succeed. They push the importance of getting out in your community with volunteering, meet-ups etc. Overall, I would say Learn was a good experience and helped me to level up in my coding career.

I'm also glad that they got rid of the instructor because he wasn't the right person to be teaching coding to total beginners. He was impatient and demeaning to those that needed support that most. Isn't the point of attending bootcamp in person is to have hands-on experience and get support when needed?

Overall, I had a good experience at LEARN and learnt some but it would be a mistake to assume to you'll come out prepared to be a developer from day one. Once you start your first job as a developer, you'll realize there's a huge of gap between what you need to know and what you learnt in short 12 (actually 8 weeks because of "1 week of professional development and 3 weeks of final project").

I attended this bootcamp on a scholarship in which the entire tuition was waived. So first I wanted to express my gratitude for the people at LEARN for providing me that amazing opportunity. I probably would have not attended had it not been for this scholarship. I just wanted to preface my review with that so you understand the context of it since it might not contain the same kind of cost/benefit complaints that many other reviews contain.

I think the great thing about this bootcamp is that it's run by a husband/wife team and that the wife is actually the CEO. I think that is quite inspiring for many women coming into this industry filled with sexism. She advocates for inclusion and has given talks on such topics in the community which I think is something different than other bootcamps. This place feels like a safe environment.

My cohort was small and we all managed to bond very well with each other. This bootcamp was very adamant about not studying any new material once we left after 5pm. Though I definitely think that reviewing some material for a while when you go home by yourself is great to solidify the concepts.

This bootcamp labels itself as a Javascript/Rails focused bootcamp but that may be misleading. Of course when building web apps Javascript is going to be dabbled in much of the time so it never really goes away. But we don't necessarily focus on it too much. We spend about 2 weeks doing Javascript and we actually learn programming concepts through this language. I think this the time period during the course that I actually felt my mind being stretched. After this period, we move into Ruby but I felt like we should have spent more time in it. The curriculum didn't feel as challenging during the Ruby portion which was about a week.  When we moved into Rails I lost that 'stretchy' feeling and I didn't really feel like I was doing any 'programming' but merely managing this vast library that is Rails which is fine, but I felt like concepts were beginning to slip away from my mind.

Now this kind of segues into why I titled my title the way I did. During the course we pair program everyday. We would have a standup sessoin in the morning where we talk about what we 'Mad, Sad, Glad, or scared' about and check-in. then we would have a presentation on a topic, and after that we would pair up and practice what we just learned.

In certain respects, pair programming is great because if you get stuck, your partner is there to provide an alternate perspective and you are able to keep moving fairly quickly. The thing in my mind that I felt like could have been improved and this is might be a  more a personal issue, is that you inevitably come to a point where your stuck and your partner may find a way to get unstuck for you but you might not understand how they came up with the solution they did. Asking questions and requesting them over and over to explain something to you sometimes isn't effective and isn't in the best interest of time. Some people work very fast, and some things click for them more readily whereas others learn differently. People going into bootcamps come from VASTLY different backgrounds, some may have had exposure to programming, some have math degrees, some have no exposure whatsoever. I found myself taking a backseat a lot and letting the other person drive because I just didn't think I was grasping things as quickly as they were. In this short time period, your going to have vastly different outcomes depending on the student.

This is where the time-based nature of the course comes to the forefront and I think is the biggest obstacle to truly learning concepts for some people. Keep in your mind that this is a BOOTCAMP, with all the implicatoins that that entails. You will be exposed to concepts and then PUSHED through the curriculum whether or not you understand them fully. There were times where I felt like I was just going through the motions and was completely lost but didn't feel like reaching out realy helped me out either. The TA's couldn't really provide the personal attention needed to truly help, they always seemed to be pre-occupied with other things, or perhaps they are just introverted. This is the problem with time-based education, or the factory model which bootcamps emulate from the traditional school system. You need to realy dig into these concepts that your learning and your going to need repetition, and when your only their for a few months, your inevitably going to feel pressure.

What I wish was that they had more instructors who had experience in the industry. We had one head instructor who was very knowledgable but I don't think he knew how to relate to people too well despite having a degree in counseling. I perceived him as being impatient, elitist and authoritarian. He would frequently 'hush' or interrupt what they were saying to people when they would try to explain their disagreements, or get quite short with them when they weren't getting something as quickly as he wanted. This kind of behaviour doesn't encourage students to want to ask questions if they feel they are going to be attacked subtly by doing so. I'm not the only one who felt this. The TA's were helpful at times and not so much at other times, as they were also grads of the same bootcamp.

This bootcamp is also unique in that they provide a one month internship with a local company. These companies rotate every cohort. Some were looking to hire someone, some weren't. Some are paid, some are not. Some companies came and gave presentations and we would rank them. After the rankings the LEARN team then setup interviews based on wht we ranked, though not everyone gets what they want. Then after the interviews we would rank them again, and the companies would rank the the interviewees, and again LEARN would try to find the best fit.

The companies are vastly different in size, ranging from startups without office space with 5 employees, to established companies. But I think on the whole the internship is valuable to providing real world experience that you can use on a resume'. There is also a group project during the last two weeks where we built out a complete web app from scratch utilizing the Agile process with daily scrum sessions. At the end of the two weeks we had a demo night to the local community. This experience was very valuable as well, as now we have an app that we can use in our portfolio.

The bootcamp industry needs a lot of work and I don't know how much longer it's going to be around, but despite my criticisms, I am grateful for the exposure I received to a new field. I feel the large part of the value of being in a bootcamp is being dropped into the middle of a pre-existing network of people who are in the industry and who can help you navigate the waters of moving into a new industry. You can go to meetups with people from your cohort, find out about jobs through your network of peers, and for that the experience is valuable.

Thanks to a presentation that the CEO Chelsea gave about finding your motivations. I was able to really clarify what motivated me to be in the tech industry. This clarification was something that definitely boosted my confidence and helped me figure out a way to present myself to people that I felt was true to what I am passionate about. I think that was one of the most helpful things during the course because there were times where I was questioning myself asking 'What am I doing here? '. I discovered and connected my passion for open source, with sustainable agriculture, social justice and worker co-ops. Now I have a clearer picture of where I want to go in the future.

Overall I am very grateful for my experience and I feel confident in the direction I need to go now in my learning.