designlab-logo

Designlab

Designlab

Designlab teaches in-demand UX/UI design skills online through 4-week short courses and a 15 to 28-week UX Academy. Designlab courses consist primarily of hands-on projects and 1-on-1 mentorship from expert designers so that students can master the techniques needed to design stunning web and mobile products. The Designlab community of mentors gives students timely feedback on work and Skype with students regularly to help them improve. Mentors include top industry professionals from companies like Twitter, Airbnb, Dropbox, and more. Courses are self-paced, which means students can complete the readings/projects whenever their schedules permit. Designlab is ideal for a developer, product manager, entrepreneur, marketer, aspiring designer, or anyone working on web/mobile products.

To apply for the UX Academy, applicants need to fill out an online application, and schedule a call with a Designlab representative. Applicants should have a love of good design, a grounding in design fundamentals, and commitment and resilience.

Graduates of the UX Academy work with a career coach to get help with their portfolios, job applications, and interview technique. Top graduates also get access to Designlab's hiring partners and exclusive job opportunities. Designlab offers a 6-month tuition-reimbursement guarantee for graduates of the UX Academy who are job hunting.

Recent Designlab Reviews: Rating 4.79

all (197) reviews for Designlab →

Recent Designlab News

• Design 101

Start Date February 5, 2021
    In this 4-week online course built for design beginners, you'll learn about the fundamentals of color theory, typography, and layout in web design, gain familiarity with the design tool of your choice (Photoshop, Sketch, or Illustrator), hone your skills & start building your portfolio with a series of hands-on projects, work with your own expert mentor, with written feedback on all your work and 4 Skype sessions. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong foundational skill set in design.
  • UI Design

Start Date February 5, 2021
    In this 4-week online course you will develop a detailed "eye" for visual design, learn to decide which typefaces to use, become equipped to choose and create color palettes, learn about best practices for UI patterns and reusable design components, and learn how to create retina-ready designs that scale across different devices. You'll end the course with a certificate of completion, a portfolio of projects, and a strong skillset in UI design. This course is intended as a follow-up to our Design 101 course, or for anyone who has a basic understanding of visual design principles. Students are expected to be acquainted with a professional design tool before they begin this class.
  • UX Academy Foundations

Start Date February 8, 2021
    Looking to transition your career into the world of UX/UI design? Learning visual and UI design is a great place to start. Through our flexible, 4-8 week UX Academy Foundations course, you'll work 1-on-1 with an expert mentor to learn key visual design concepts and practical skills. Your mentor will give you written feedback on all your work and also meet with you for 8 personalized sessions to further discuss concepts, project work, and the UX/UI industry in general. By the end, you'll have completed a final design challenge which you can use in your application for UX Academy to showcase your newfound knowledge and skills.
    February 8, 2021 - Online
  • UX Academy (Full-time)

Start Date January 25, 2021
    UX Academy is an online design intensive, aimed at career-switchers looking to make the move into UX/UI/product design roles. You'll complete over 480 hours of coursework, develop a portfolio, and hone your skills through 1-on-1 mentorship, peer Group Critiques, and Career Services.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans6 month internal payment plan and extended plans financed by Climb Credit
    Minimum Skill LevelDesign 101 or its equivalent (foundational skills in visual/graphic design); knowledge of at least one major design tool (Sketch, Photoshop, or Illustrator)
    Prep WorkApplication pre-requisites: https://help.trydesignlab.com/hc/en-us/articles/218228487-How-do-I-apply-to-UX-Academy-Are-there-any-prerequisites-for-the-program-
    January 25, 2021 - Online Apply by January 15, 2021
  • UX Academy (Part-time)

Start Date January 25, 2021
    January 25, 2021 - Online Apply by January 15, 2021
  • UX: Interaction Design

User Experience Design
    Start Date February 5, 2021
    In this 4-week online course you’ll develop an eye for seeing, and a language for talking about, interaction design. You'll become familiar with human interface guidelines, principles of usability and fundamental interaction design details. You'll also practice evaluating if and how interactions can be improved. Finally, you'll develop a portfolio to demonstrate your interaction design prowess. As with all Designlab courses, you'll work 1-on-1 with an expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end, you’ll have an interaction design toolkit for evaluating and improving the usability of your products. You’ll have examples of your process and work that you can speak to and draw on in related projects. This course is especially useful to anyone looking to develop better communication of and confidence in their interaction design work, and for folks looking to develop their ability to understand and work with product designers.
  • UX Research & Strategy

User Experience Design
    Start Date February 5, 2021
    In this 4-week online course, you'll learn the basics of UX, and user-centered design, explore the core research techniques professionals use to gain customer insight, and get experience by working on hands-on projects, develop your UX portfolio, creating deliverables like personas, storyboards, customer journey maps, & empathy maps, and work with your own expert mentor, with feedback on all your work and weekly Skype sessions. By the end of this course, you'll know all about user research, and have a toolkit of methods you can use throughout your career. You'll have a strong portfolio of work and crucial real experience to draw upon for interviews. Whether you want a career in UX/UI Design, or you just want to build better products, this course is the perfect next step.
  • Stanford  User Photo
    Stanford • Product Designer @Instructure • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My decision to pursue a career change with the help of DesignLab's UX academy was one of the best decision I have made in my life!

I felt that the course properly prepared me to take on an entry-level position in UX. The project-based coursework is solid, the readings insightful, and the mentors are world-class designers who are deeply interested in your growth as a UX designer.

I would not be where I am today if not for the UX Academy!

To be honest, the entry-level UX market is saturated, but if you work hard and take time to understand the fundamentals and can clearly explain the why behind your designs, you will be in a very good spot!

My advice to prospective students who are evaluating UX bootcamps, , write down a list of things you expect to get from the course and hunt down alumni on LinkedIn and ask them about their experience in relation to the things you are hoping to get from your education.

• Celeste  User Photo
    Celeste • UX/UI Designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I joined UX Academy full time after years working around building digital products but with no formal experience in design. After three months I was able to create a portfolio, develop my own apps and now I have a job as a UX/UI Designer in a big company in The Netherlands where I now live (I'm from Mexico).

I'd recommend this program to anybody looking to make a carreer change or become a UX Designer, you'll learn all the basics to research, wireframe, prototype and test a digital product, even the worflow itself!

As a tip, choose the time format you are able to comit to, since the program can be very demanding and in order to get the best out of it, you need to spend time actually working on your designs and sharing feedback with your fellow students.

• Best experience!
    - 1/19/2021
    Laura Feller • Graduate
    I started the foundations course in December of 2020 and finished early January 2021. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I interviewed several bootcamps and this one by far was best overall. The education, online courses, support, cost and mentor you receive was second to none. It is simply the best fit for me.  Once I got into the program, I was blown away by how the material was broken down (they also made it fun and engaging with great reading material and fun projects). I enjoyed the course and would recommend them to anyone asking! Taking this course solidified my plans to take the full UX academy they offer.
  • Design 101
    - 1/18/2021
    Elizabeth Navalta • Operations Associate • Student
     Design Lab made it really simply and easy to ease into the world of design. I decided to take this course to begin my path into design and change careers from accounting and operations. This course features one on one mentor meetings which gives you a chance to not only get feedback on your work and get answers to confusing curriculum but it allows you to ask questions to someone who is currently in the field. I am currently full time working and was happy that the course was flexible enough for me to complete my work.
  • Anastasia Tchkadua • Web Project Manager • Graduate
    Designlab is a place where you can learn things more quickly when you do it. On a platform, you can see your development. Every student has one mentor, the student can choose their convenient time for a weekly session.
    I think one of the advantages is that it's flexible. Also if the course ends student can still do their projects to receive your certificate of completion!
    The Designlab team and mentors are amazing, they always trying to help students to achieve their best. I highly recommend it.
    - 1/14/2021
    Paula • Graduate
    I had a pleasure of taking the UX Foundations course just recently and would love to recommend it to everyone looking to start their design edu journey and also for those undecided whether the design field is good for them and would like to check out a shorter class  without a huge commitment. It's an 8-week long program, I was personally able to finish it within 4 weeks on the top of having a full-time job. I liked that the class was heavily project based as I was able to get consistent feedback from my mentor on my progress and work on the actual tasks and practice my new skills.
  • Anastasia • Graphic Designer • Graduate
    It was a great experience for me to attend this online course. The mentor was very attentive to my project and was always ready to help me. Also, he suggested and sent me a great collection of books which were very useful while studying on this course. Will I take another course too? Definitely! I'm 100% satisfied with the results
  • UX Foundations
    - 1/11/2021
    Kate • Student
    I signed up for this course because I wasn't sure if I wanted to take a full boot camp yet. This was the only course I found that focuses exclusively on web design, and was a shorter course, and it had a lot of good reviews. The course was extremely well organized and broken down, and the site was easy to navigate (which you'd hope would be the case for a course all about web design!). The readings were all helpful and informative, and most were written by Designlab itself rather than linking to outside articles (and the ones that they did link to were also great). There were also many projects, starting from simpler ones and moving to more difficult ones, where it was tricky but not so hard that I felt discouraged. My mentor gave very helpful feedback. Because of my positive experience in UX Academy Foundations, I have applied to UX Academy and hopefully will be starting that this month.
  • Wynter
    This course definitely gives you a solid foundation to build on. I love the fact that it is a project-based course and the design briefs challenge you creatively. I also like that you receive feedback within a timely manner from mentors and I appreciate the online slack community that the course provides. Being a full-time mom and part-time employee- it was a definite plus that I could work at my own pace.
  • Zero to Hero
    - 1/7/2021
    Muhammad M • Graduate
    I feel worlds away from where I was when I started and feel confident in creating UI. A challenging curriculum matched with industry experienced mentors made for the best value in my opinion. The DL team is also very friendly and approachable - happy to help you in any way they can! All & all I'm glad I took this course, I wouldn't have been able to get where I'm at right now in 4-8 weeks myself - the curriculum is thorough, assignments are challenging, and mentor sessions are key.

• Rachel • UI Designer • Graduate
    I did a lot of research before signing up for a UX bootcamp and DesignLab won me over for the simple fact that they provide students with real mentors to help with the curriculum. I felt the exercises were meaningful, the curriculum schedule and workload was reasonable, and the staff was very prompt in their responses if an issue ever arose. The Slack community connecting you to other students was also a great resource. Career Services proved to be a very valuable additional resource even for someone who has been a profession for almost 10 years. I knock one star off when rating the curriculum only because sometimes links were broken and some information seemed a little out of date. And while the mentorship is what really did it for me, I noticed depending on who your mentor is, your experience with this bootcamp will vary drastically. I feel fortunate that my mentor was an expert in the field and helped give me additional materials and resources. Overall, DesignLab did exactly what they promised me and provided me with a good foundation and portfolio to enter into UX, which in return helped me land a full-time job 2 months later.
  • Designer
    - 12/1/2020
    Truc • Student
    I have a design background however no experience with UX design. UX academy really sets an excellent foundation for expectations going into the UX Design industry.