DataCamp is a time flexible, online data science learning platform offering tutorials and courses in data science. Students can master data analysis from the comfort of their browser, at their own pace, and tailored to their needs and expertise. DataCamp has free beginner courses or the option to pay a subscription fee for access to all premium courses. Students can either pay $25 per month or $250 per year for access. In addition to tutorials, there are also coding challenges. DataCamp focuses on the technology R, used for Big Data, data visualization, and programming with R.
Recent DataCamp Reviews: Rating 2.6
5 reviews sorted by:
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
I took the course "Writing Functions in R" at DataCamp. It was pretty good and I was very satisfied with the contents. The teachers were both excelent.
But problems came when I tried to cancel my subscription. First I did it from the account settings and apparently was all right. End of story. But a few months later I unpleseantly found out that my subscription had been automatically reactivated!! I wrote an email to the DataCamp support team. They replied to me arguing that I had been to select the option "Forever" within the "Pause subscription" menu.
So, if you do not select “forever” in that hide option within the account settings–whose existence you could not know beforehand–, your account automatically reactivates. It is definitely a tricky ugly ruse to force the customer to pay. Unbelievable and unaccpetable. Very disappointing.
R is fairly difficult to learn, especially if you don't come from a strong statistics/programming background. Through taking all of their classes, you can go from a beginner to competent, but the path won't be easy.
The DataCamp interface is very glitchy - there are quite a few answers that I thought were right, couldn't solve, and after seeing what the actual answer was, still don't see any difference whatsoever. Additionally, if you run into any problems and e-mail the DataCamp team, they probably won't bother responding - I've sent multiple e-mails and followed up each time, never got a reply. They also sometimes ask you to use functions and knowledge they haven't taught you, and their built-in hints are sometimes useless.
In short, this is a very good resource to go from beginner to adequate with R. Just don't expect the road to be easy, and don't expect to have your hand held at all.
Ive used datacamp for about 3 months now and while i found it to be quite useful and informative for the beginner courses, as the courses progress and become more advanced, it becomes very frustrating. There are frequently mistakes in the exercises and it becomes even more frustrating to attempt to reproduce any of the exercises offered as the resources used in the exercise are not offered, instead you will need to find and download what you hope will be identical to what was used. Furthermore there are steps which although are seemingly minor can stop you from completly many of the exercises of which are not covered and you will need you seek out the answers from other sources. Would recommend for beginners only.