datacamp-logo

DataCamp

DataCamp

DataCamp is a time flexible, online data science learning platform offering tutorials and courses in data science. Students can master data analysis from the comfort of their browser, at their own pace, and tailored to their needs and expertise. DataCamp has free beginner courses or the option to pay a subscription fee for access to all premium courses. Students can either pay $25 per month or $250 per year for access. In addition to tutorials, there are also coding challenges. DataCamp focuses on the technology R, used for Big Data, data visualization, and programming with R.

Recent DataCamp Reviews: Rating 3.89

Translate data using R.
  • Data Scientist

Python
    OnlinePart Time94 Hours/week
    Students will use statistical and machine learning techniques with R programming to analyze and interpret complex data.
  • Python Programmer

Cryptography, Python
    OnlinePart Time36 Hours/week
    Use Python skills to wrangle data and build tools for data analysis.
  • Overall Experience:

Pros:
    1. It has videos to explain a concept
    2. Many concepts are included and explained that not all MOOCs provide
    3. It offers certificates to make me motivated to complete the course
    4. It offers courses in Phyton and R
    5. It has a lot courses that can be choosen from
    6. Cheaper than many other MOOCs
    7. It offers projects that you can work on after completing several courses
    Cons:
    1. I don't feel like I was challenged enough
    2. Many exercises are too easy and only fill in the blanks
    7. The code is half done
    8. Not really learning by doing
    9. Can just copy paste from the slide lectures
    10. Material and testing really is so basic
    11. The level of difficulty at Datacamp seems to be below other beginners courses and some of the quizzes/tests could be done simply by copying and pasting from the question (i.e. without having any real comprehension of the material).

Overall, It doesn't meet my expectations on a Data Science Course because I don't feel I learn, know, and understand after completing the course because the exercises were just fill in the blanks from the given instructions. Should have give the customer many challenging exercises where they coded from the beginning to the end without feel being spoon-fed. Customer will remember, understand, and learn more if they are asked to think and code for the solution themselves.

• Cal Lewis  User Photo
    Cal Lewis • Data Manager (retired) • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I highly recommend DataCamp for anyone considering R and/or Python for intense data analysis. Whether your interest is related to data you already have and desire to apply statistical analysis properly or your interest is in ultimately becoming a Data Scientist, DataCamp is the way to go. As a Data Manager I've always had the desire to deep dive into analysis but also limited in time to do so. Now that I'm retired I've started that deep dive in both R and Python with the help of DataCamp's instructors. The beginning courses are somewhat easy for experienced programmers, my prior languages were Assembler, FORTRAN, VB, C, C++, and C#. But after the beginning courses the instruction becomes more challenging so I've started the practice of having RStudio or Python open on one screen and DataCamp open on another, this way I can move between screens and use what I'm learning immediately on the data I want to clean and analyze. It slows my progress somewhat in my course work but greatly reinforces the learning experience.

• Buddy Goertz  User Photo
    Buddy Goertz • Owner/Data Analyst Verified via LinkedIn

I've tried many different online training options.  Datacamp has the best format for learning, in my opinion.  What I like is, you are introduced visually to some material to learn, then you have to take that and complete some learning exercises before continuing. You always have the option to skip to the solution if you are completely stumped, but if you are serious about learning, you will use all resources you can muster to complete the material on your own.  The points you earn give you an idea of how you are doing.

• Absolutly perfect
    - 5/11/2017
    Matthew Ludwig  User Photo
    Matthew Ludwig • Student • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I don´t know exactly how i got to DataCamp, but seriously, it is one of the best experience i ever made!

I did some other courses before on pages like Coursera and Udemy, but they are not comparable to DataCamp for 2 reasons:

- DataCamp has the absolut best Price/Value ratio ever. You only pay about 29$ bucks and you can do so much courses as you want for a whole month.

- The courses are build like this: Every course is seperated into 5 moduls - which are seperated into 3 chunks. Each chunk looks like this: You listen to a 2-3 minute video of an instructor who explains some concepts. Then, you have to do 3-4 Code-Challanges were you can put the concepts into praxis - immediately! This is in my opionen way more efficent than just looking hour-long videos on other sides.

By the way: When you are a really activ user, you will get invited to privat groups by DataCamp (together with other Highflyer) to Beta-Test new Courses. But for this, you should get at least 40.000 XP in ~ 30 days.

• Hament Pandya  User Photo
    Hament Pandya • Medic Verified via GitHub

Data Camp is an excellent online tool for learning data science. As a non-programmer, learning R, in particular, would have been nearly impossible without the brilliant  courses offered. Data Camp has been an invaluable adjunct to the Coursera Data Science Specialisation. If you are interested in acquiring valuable skills in data science, I would thoroughly recommend signing up for Data Camp !

• Bart Goodell  User Photo
    Bart Goodell • Personal Trainer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am not a strong programmer, but through the short instruction videos and then the exercises, my ability to use python to do data science has really progressed. I'm now able to do import from various formats, analysis, visualization, bootstrap, and most importantly, clean and organize my data to do the above. Throw in 3 different machine learning courses (supervised, unsupervised and deep learning) and I am feeling much better about my data science abilities.

• Brian Baert  User Photo
    Brian Baert • Lecturer Verified via LinkedIn

What I appreciate most are the easy, short and very understandable video instructions, immediately followed by accessible exercises.

Studying data science (with Python) wherever and whenever you want, for instance, when you have a few minutes during lunch break you can make a quick exercise and feel good about it!

Excellent work Datacamp, I'll introduce my students to it next semester :-)

• The best yet
    - 5/9/2017
    ako adams  User Photo
    ako adams • Medical Doctor • Applicant Verified via LinkedIn

Learning R and Data Science on Datacamp has been an amazing experience. The tutors, the online R interface, the ease of learning and responsiveness of the site makes datacamp my go-to  for constant R practice. Learning R has been so fun I decided to learn Python on datacamp too! And they constantly add new materials especially on core statistics which I find invaluable for an aspiring statistician and data scientist like myself.

• Andey Nunes  User Photo
    Andey Nunes • grad student & research assistant Verified via LinkedIn

I started taking R courses last summer to get an edge in my statistics coursework. I'm proud to say I've been able to do all my homework, reports, and papers in R Markdown! Now I'm taking Python courses, and I'm continuing to gain valuable skills while learning at my own pace.

I have already recommended DataCamp to everyone one in several classes I'm taking at Portland State University because these tutorials have given me the confidence to learn, share, and explore more about R and Python.

• Frank Szalai  User Photo
    Frank Szalai • Finance Manager Verified via LinkedIn

Great courses and instructors, nice structure, I love the tracks function, enough repetition but increasingly more difficult exercises, anyone interested in learning R should check DataCamp out.