coding-house-logo

Coding House

Silicon Valley

Coding House

Coding House is a 14-week Full Immersion Software Development Bootcamp in Silicon Valley designed for rapid retention and comprehension. Instructors and mentors at Coding House are thought leaders, keynote speakers, and award-winning published authors. Students learn Full Stack web development, with a focus on JavaScript, Node.JS, Angular.JS, Mobile Hybrid, and various JavaScript frameworks. The program is the only full immersion live-in bootcamp in the world, and includes all cooking and cleaning. Once students graduate, heavy emphasis is placed on getting jobs. Coding House is tuition free, and has a placement fee of 18% of graduates' first-year salary. A $6,000 deposit pays for room and board, and that is subtracted from the 18% fee.

Recent Coding House Reviews: Rating 3.88

6000 for room and board
    Basic Computer Knowledge
    Interview

• Samuel Robertson • Full Stack Developer • Graduate

My name is Sam Robertson, I’m a full stack developer at Revolution Messaging. Ever heard of Bernie Sanders? That was the company that helped drive the donation platform and I get to be a part of its’ future. I graduated from PennState in PA in 2015 with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and decided that I wanted to do something different. I love my degree, a hard science will always help you along the way, but I chose to go to Coding House to get the knowledge and experience I needed to get the kind of job I wanted. Fun fact, I have a D in MATLAB programming from my junior year of college. Turns out you need the right push and right interest to move you along. I now work from home for my company and could not be happier with my decision.

Coding House is 90% your effort, 10% on them. Not saying the staff isn’t hard working, these are some of the hardest working people I’ve ever met. What I mean is that what you do at Coding House and how you end up at the end of the program are your responsibility. The instructors are challenging, always ready to help and want you to be able to teach yourself by the end. They will provide stepping stones the first weeks then move you onto more difficult tasks in which you will start having to find the answers. These are people that want you to succeed, I’m proof it can be done.

The first half is intense and long, but I loved every minute of it. Stressful, tiring, on two cups of coffee by 10am is hard, but it’s more effective than any college lecture I’ve been to. Good thing you aren’t alone, everyone is struggling the same, and when you are struggling you are learning. The instructor starts out with small examples of a technology, the basics of how something should work. Then it’s up to you to try and repeat and enhance what they did. Solutions at the end of the problem session are effective, as if you didn't’ pick up what you did wrong, you can see why and not miss it next time.

The live in house was the best part of Coding House. It has a boot-camp feel without feeling to strict. Yes, you are crammed into bunk beds, yes people snore, but that person above you is counting on waking them up because you two have a project to finish before class starts. You form bonds, teams and lifetime friends. I still skype with my Coding House alum and we are great friends!

Second half is the hardest part. Self-motivation is key.  While still learning it’s time to show off some skills, time to build some apps. These are your creations, whether you are in a team or solo, you own these. A app a week is the best method, pick something doable and stick with it. Polish the app, no bugs or quirks. These are for your portfolio, I’ve shown my Coding House apps off at interviews and people are impressed.

Why Coding House:

Coding House is expensive, but why chose it over a competitor? Key thing is they are all expensive. What you get with Coding House is relatively the same with other boot camps in terms of course work. There are some differences, but mainly tech stacks don’t change. My reason for Coding House was the live in factor. I wanted that immersion, I always felt in college if I had my classes 7 days a week for 1 month per class I would preform better than with a more relaxed schedule. I work well under pressure and love the challenge it provides. This isn't for everyone, but being able to wake up, jump downstairs and stay late into the night programming was perfect. Instructors sometimes stay late, and you are guaranteed to find help from your peers as they are all doing the same thing. This is what I loved.

The other best part is Coding House listens, when a change is needed Nick will take note and do anything in his power to make sure it’s fixed. He cares for the success of the students and wants them to do well. A weekly survey made sure that the feedback was taken seriously.

Fun Stuff:

Hackathons are great! If one exists take anything you know and try to get something done at a hackathon if available. Coding House was able to take my cohort to one and a team even won!

These are great to learn and make new friends.

The food, food is awesome, I still think I ate better at Coding House than I do now.

Summary:

Coding House was challenging, inspiring and a life lesson all in one. You aren’t alone, you are taken care of and your success is only limited by your effort. I left Coding House without a job offer, but within one week after the program I was offered two jobs. I also was not looking to stay in the Bay Area, I was aiming for Seattle so it’s very much possible to carry your skills anywhere. I still work for the same company that hired me from Coding House and I really do love my job! I hope you are reading this and find it helpful!

• Reena A • Student

CodingHouse provides practical means of becoming a full stack developer in 3.5 months time period. They offer web development lessons, clarification sessions, real interviewing skills every week. Success is guaranteed for those who are determined and willing to finish the coursework.

Due to the intensity of the coursework, one may feel a little lost in the middle. But if one has the passion for software development these long hours, typically from 9 AM - 11 PM ( Mon - Sat ) will make you strong enough to tread the rough path. Learning is all dependent on the student. Instructors does not guarantee anything that is absurd.

There are teaching assistants almost round the clock to assist the students.

What is benefitial the most is the full immersive experience where you don't need to worry about cooking, cleaning etc., in addition to close collaborative experience in group projects. This is close to how software engineers works in industry, working on SCM tools like git, deploying projects to cloud services like  heroku, aws, google's firebase. They are valuable.

Codinghouse has started incorporating algorithm learning sessions, tutorials as part of the curriculum which can give a base level understanding of the CS concepts.

Have the will power to finish the course and the stars will align.

• Nicholas D. • Student

I attended Coding House from February to May 2016. I can't say my time there was a complete loss, but if you're looking for a coding bootcamp, I'd recommend looking elsewhere. Other reviews have already discussed issues like inexperienced instructors, disorganized curriculum, cramped living conditions, and lack of job support after graduation. This review will focus on illegal practices, false or misleading claims, and hostile business practices.

Overcrowding
    In my first phone conversation with Coding House CEO Nick James, I was told that there would be around 15 people in my cohort. In actuality, there were about thirty people in the cohort at the beginning, and I shared a bedroom with eleven other guys. That was at the first house, which was called CH1. By the time we got to CH2 a lot of people had dropped out, and by the end of my time there, the cohort was about a third of its original size—but it was still more crowded than your average college dorm. In the beginning, I thought Nick must have done his due diligence as a business owner and acquired the proper permits before putting that many people in one house. Now I'm not so sure.

I can't definitively prove that Coding House didn't have a permit to house thirty people in a single-family home in Fremont. What I do know is this: CH1's zoning district is P-79-19, which is a planned community designation inside Fremont's Hillside Overlay. The Hillside Overlay is a residential area with additional "regulations and requirements established to meet the particular problems associated with development of hillside areas." CH2's district is P-2010-280, which is also a planned community. As far as I can tell, the City of Fremont's residential zone usage restrictions do not allow commercial use, live/work units, or boarding/rooming houses in single-family homes under any circumstances, and I see nothing in the planned district filings to alter that. It's not a matter of getting the right permits—permits do not seem to be available for such uses. Permits are available for running meal service facilities in single-family dwellings, but I'd be surprised, given the increased attention the application would bring, if Coding House had such a permit.

All of which helps to explain why, when a disgruntled former student called the city's zoning department and made a complaint, inspectors dropped by one morning to check us out. They looked around, took some pictures, and said they'd be back to make a full inspection later, during which time they'd also talk to the students. On the day that they did come back, we were all bussed to CH2 (which the former student hadn't reported) and CH1 was cleaned up considerably. Electrical equipment was removed, windows were uncovered, and several bunk beds were disassembled and moved into the garage. We were never told what the outcome of the inspection was, but soon after my cohort ended, CH1 and CH2 were closed, and all students now live in a single house in Pleasanton. For those currently living there or considering attending Coding House, the current house's zoning map is here, and Pleasanton Municipal Code sections 18.32 and 18.104 might be good places to start researching the legality of the current situation.

I genuinely liked the idea of living and studying in one place. I was excited about having meals and most cleaning taken care of, so I could focus on studying. I loved being able to wake up at 7:45, brush my teeth and get dressed, and start class at 8:00. But if you're wondering why Coding House is able to promote itself as "the only full immersion live-in coding boot camp," it's probably because other boot camps follow zoning regulations.

Misleading/False Promises
    Cohort size wasn't the only false or misleading claim made when I was considering Coding House. I was also told that the head teacher would be Samer Buna, and his experience as both a software engineer and a teacher were major draws for me. However, when I arrived, I was introduced to a different teacher, Cade Nichols. Cade was friendly and knowledgeable about JavaScript, but he had no teaching experience and no industry experience whatsoever. Samer had a Master's degree from Carnegie Mellon. Cade studied computer science at College of the Canyons, a community college in Santa Clarita. Another student said he thought Samer might be the teacher when we got to CH2, but that also turned out not to be the case. Instead, CH2 was taught by Patrick Shaughnessy, who graduated from Coding House just before my cohort began. Patrick did have some teaching experience, having spent three years teaching English in Japan, but he had no industry experience. Like most of us, he'd come to Coding House to make a career change.

Cade and Patrick were both friendly, intelligent guys, and I have nothing against either one. Both did their best under the circumstances, and I did learn from them. Nor am I saying that experience and education are all-important. However, I was promised one thing and delivered another. I was sold not only on Samer specifically, but on Coding House's focus on the type of teacher Samer represented. When Samer came for a two-day visit while I was at CH2 (because several of us had complained that we weren't learning React, which was one of the technologies promoted on Coding House's web site), we got a sense of what we'd missed out on by not having him as a teacher from day one. We felt cheated.

I understand that things happen, staff leaves, and companies do their best to fill vacant positions given the applicants who are available. But I interviewed with both Nick and Samer in November 2015, was specifically told that Samer was the head teacher, and later learned that he had stopped teaching at Coding House in October 2015. I notice that as of now, he doesn't even list his time at Coding House on his LinkedIn page. I don't know what caused him to leave, or why he no longer chooses to be associated with the place, but if it's true that he had stopped teaching a month before I signed up, even if he was still serving in an advisory role, I believe I should have been made aware of that, especially given the fact that his presence was a major selling point during my conversation with Nick.

Illegal Contracts
    Given issues like these, you may wonder why there aren't more negative reviews of Coding House online, or why most people who do leave bad reviews do so anonymously. I believe it's because many of the contracts people sign with Coding House have a non-disparagement clause in them, which states that the student is prohibited from writing negative reviews. My contract doesn't have one, but I know several students who left early and had to sign such a contract in order to get a partial or complete refund. Nick has also threatened to sue people who wrote negative reviews in the past, including this one.

The problem is that non-disparagement clauses are illegal in the state of California according to Civil Code 1670.8 (popularly known as the "Yelp Bill"). The law specifies penalties of $2,500 for the first offense, $5,000 for additional offenses, and $10,000 for willful, intentional, or reckless violations—meaning a class-action suit could get very expensive for Coding House.

Customers have the right to describe negative experiences without being penalized. Coding House's attempts to shut down criticism through intimidation are not only illegal, but also unethical.

Summary
    As I said before, I did get some benefit from my time at Coding House. Most importantly, several of the other students in my cohort are now among my closest and most valued friends. I also got a lot of time to study and work on projects, which was my main reason for going. If you're determined to give Coding House a try, I think you'll get something out of it if you focus on your own goals, use your time wisely, and have a fallback plan in case you have to leave before the end of your cohort.

But if you're shopping around for a boot camp, choose carefully. Coding House might look good because it gives you a place to live while you study, but if its business practices are indeed illegal, it could be shut down at any moment. In short, it's a Coding House of Cards.

• Deanna • Graduate

I had read both the good and bad reviews online but I still wanted to come out here over various other bootcamps I had thoroughly researched because of its unique all-inclusive, all-immersive package deal of room and board and instruction right downstairs, and also because of its scholarship opportunities for women. My review below is solely based off my personal experience as a student of the February cohort this year.

Pros:

1. The live-in, full-immersion aspect seals the deal. You can roll out of bed and walk downstairs for class if you wanted to, or you can get up earlier and have that much more time to finish up homework before the day instead of wasting it away commuting.

2. It's hard to say exactly what Coding House will be like for prospective students, because with each cohort, they're constantly making slight tweaks to the curriculum based off the previous one(s). My cohort developed heavily with the MEAN stack. Cade, our instructor, definitely knows the stack well and also taught it well. So far, I am developing with Angular at my job. Perfect; it’s just what I learned from Coding House.

3. It's ultimately up to you how much you're willing to work for what you want. When I needed the extra support, they were there to help me. Cade was a great instructor who was always willing to help. Patrick was the main guy for our second half of the program. He was super supportive taking the time out to sit down with me and work through problems I had with my final project, as was AJ. My own peers were supportive of each other, too.

Improvements to be made:

1. CS fundamentals could definitely be better worked into the core of the curriculum. We did code challenges every morning the first seven weeks, but by the second half, the instruction got a little too lax on that front; we were mostly left to our own devices and to work on our projects. I found myself working on these fundamentals usually during the weekends, even during the first half. Use your own judgment as to how much of your free time you want devote to studying up these things. You won’t always be in an environment where everyone is literally living with you and can help each other out, and this crazy bootcamp-like schedule isn’t going to last forever, so bite the bullet for 14 weeks if you have to.

2. Communication, or the hassle of dealing with logistics during the onboarding stages prior to having begun the bootcamp is another thing that could be worked on. My advice is they definitely need to implement a more structured approach when it comes to logistics especially in the initial stages of the entire onboarding process, and including sending more coherent emails throughout the cohort. I think Coding House just hasn’t hashed out a more systematic approach to dealing with everything more professionally, which can definitely throw people off guard.

Nevertheless, I know I could not have made it as far as I have, let alone in only 14 weeks, without having attended Coding House. If you're willing to put in the extra hours and you're not afraid to seek out the help when you need it, you're going to make it through and learn so much in this condensed amount of time all the same. Was I stressed and challenged there, and do I have a lot more to learn? Of course. But I definitely enjoyed my time there, and perhaps more importantly, I got out of it a job offer that far surpassed my own expectations and a skill set that won't be forgotten any time soon.

• Charles Watson • Developer Consultant • Graduate

My name is Charles Watson and I am a developer consultant in Cincinnati, Ohio. I ended up at Coding House directly after graduating from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. I was a few months from graduating with a degree in international economics and my biggest regret was not getting a computer science degree. I knew I wanted to be a part of the development world but I also knew that I lacked any real experience, skills, or an understanding of how to break in and pursue my dream career. I had played around online with different free and paid coding resources in college, but I lacked direction. If I hit a wall I wasn’t always sure which resources would get me passed it, and the biggest wall of all was deciding what technologies and platforms were even worth my time. Enter Coding House.

Coding House promised a rapid, difficult, no­success­guaranteed leap into the first 4% of understanding necessary in becoming a professional developer. It wasn’t sugar coated. This program is designed to get a student into the development world, but after that a developer will need to spend their entire career constantly learning and adapting in order to make it. Learning how to teach yourself and learning how to adapt is the Coding House experience. Most of the time is spent learning new and potentially intimidating technology, but with the help of an instructor, examples, fellow students, and the power of the internet, you have what you need to make it through it.

The first half of the program was by far the most stressful and difficult, both academically and emotionally. I was frequently tired, frustrated, confused, and even doubtful of my decision to choose such an industry. What got me through it was hugely the Coding House live­in factor. I was eating, sleeping, and struggling alongside a house full of dedicated people who all had the same tired, frustrated, and confused looks on their faces at times, and that was huge, but not everything. Choosing a boot camp experience is not a for everyone. At the end of the day I was able to ask myself why I was there in the first place and I was able to answer it for myself, honestly. If I hadn’t been able to answer why, I would not have completed the program.

The second half of the program was far more fulfilling. While there was still so much to learn at that point, there was an obvious transition that occurred. The challenge was no longer looking at code and seeing a foreign language. If a problem was presented, by the second half of the program most students could solve it, however the new challenge became how to do it efficiently and in a clean manner. Learning the tips and tricks, the ins and outs, and the big red flags of the language and frameworks being used. Consistently starting and finishing full stack applications became the norm and the limiting factor rapidly ended up being the lack of time needed to develop all of the features that our teams kept dreaming up to pack into the project.

I left Coding House the day after graduation and had already been deep into the interview process by that point. I was by no means the most competitive or competent student, however I left feeling confident that I was an employable developer and within 6 months of having begun Coding House I was offered a position at my top choice. This is entirely thanks to the program I completed.

Pros and Cons:

My largest criticism of Coding House is somewhat muddled by it also being my largest point in favor of the program. There were many times I was frustrated by how constantly changing the program was and how I never felt there was a plan set in stone that I could look at on day one and know exactly what I would be doing from start until finish. Certain topics were mentioned for future lessons that we never ended up learning, and there were times where a day’s lecture got changed entirely last minute leaving us feeling confused and unsure of the institutions efficacy.

The reason this is muddled is because my opinion of Coding House’s top strength is its ability to adapt and Nick’s willingness to accept any and all criticism and implement any sound recommendations immediately. Weekly survey’s given on Friday always resulted in immediate adjustments to the program the following Monday and I can’t speak more highly for how much confidence this gave me in the program. Anything from food adjustments to bedroom regulations, if someone felt something would benefit the students enough to bring it up, it was addressed. Always.

• A unique bootcamp
    - 3/31/2016
    Anonymous • Web Developer • Student
    PROGRAM OVERVIEW:

The first half of the program is ~7 weeks of intense study and work. When I say intense, I mean REALLY intense. Frameworks are piled on to you one after another, and there is no way to fully understand everything you are being shown. Class is from 9-6, six days a week, with nightly projects that lasted me until 1am. Usually I’d spend at least half of Sunday reviewing concepts. There is one main instructor and guest lectures. There are usually 3-4 mentors each day from 9am-midnight who you can go to for help. These mentors are students who are in the second half of the program.

The second half is ~7 weeks you work on large group projects. Most of your day is dedicated to building portfolio pieces. This is where the intense cramming from the first 7 weeks coalesces into useful ability. There’s little code instruction during this half, but there are guest workshops things like React and on polishing your online presence, preparing for interviews, and applying to jobs. You also learn a lot from your classmates during this period as well. Also, you will mentor students who are in the first half of the program 1 day a week, which is actually a nice break from work and a well needed ego boost.

MY EXPERIENCE:

What makes Coding House stand out to me is that it’s very small and flexible. It also has a lower cost than most other bootcamps in the Bay Area, which is one of the main reasons I went with it. Full disclosure, I had a very good outcome and I landed a 100k++ job here in the bay after about 5 weeks of dedicated searching and interviewing.

Here are some key differences from what I believe other bootcamps are like.

1) You live and work in the same building, and all tasks of daily living are handled for you (food, cleaning), so you can spend a lot more time focusing on code. This is a huge benefit!

2) It’s a small institution that is constantly evolving, so it’s hard to reliably say exactly what the curriculum will be like, what the food will be like, what your classmates will be like, etc.

3) Being so small and flexible can work out in your favor. Nick, the founder, can make arrangements for you to help you land an awesome job.

4) They could do a better job screening students. A few people in my cohort should not have be left in, so some of your classmates will drop. Maybe *you* will drop. This is really improving over time, since Coding House is getting a better applicant pool.

5) There are some holes in the program (in particular they don’t teach CS concepts, and there’s no dedicated recruiter) so it’s up to you to take care of these things yourself.

The more you bring coming here, the better off you’ll be. If you have a degree in a technical field, or CS experience, you’ll probably do very well. If you haven’t prepared or you’re not a confident coder, then you’re going to have a hard time.

Coding House is fit for you if you are self-motivated and proactive about doing what you need to do to become a programmer. You have to accept that your fate is in your own hands.
  • It worked for me!
    - 3/16/2016

It worked for me!

I just read one persons review (I was in the same cohort) and yes they had some problems but I learned more in a shorter period of time then I have ever learned before. I now have a great job making really great money in SF. There is still a lot for me to learn when it comes to coding but now I know how to learn it.

I worked my butt off during the program and it was hard. The instructor in the first half of the program was great. He was very enthusiastic and was good at breaking down problems into chunks so we could get it. If you're not a hard worker or are not sure if coding is your thing, then this is definitely the wrong place for you.

I went here. Curriculum is loosely based. I don't recommend it because there is only one instructor that you get everyday, 6 days a week. Understandably, the instructor is quite burnt out. Graduates teach, not industry proven experts or career programmers. I went in with the expectation that someone who has worked as a Javascript engineer would be the teacher. You will learn but it is nothing worthy of thousands of dollars, in my opinion.

You pay for 12 weeks of instruction but each session/cohort only comes with 6 weeks of class and then you are told to work, unpaid for the rest of the time. There is also no job assistance, no partnerships with third party companies for job placement, and no organization. Sometimes there is no food.

I was asked to leave a positive review in exchange for paying lesser tuition than originally agreed upon. You can come here and learn some stuff but it is mostly a party house and a convenient place to live in the East Bay.

• Jillian • web developer • Graduate

“Coding House” is not a deceptive title, Coding House is a house. An actual house. Actually it’s two houses. The first half of the program takes place in “CH1”, which reminds me of the house from the Brady Bunch, but with a different staircase. Besides the stairs, the other noticeable difference between the Brady’s house and CH1 is the “classroom”  where the living room should be. I’m using quotes because the classroom is not a lecture hall or a computer lab. It’s a living room. There is a stage-like platform at one end and a dozen rows of monitor-laden tables that face the stage. I can honestly say though, I gained more useful knowledge in that living room in four months than I did in four years inside the classrooms at my college (but I got a degree in Environmental Studies… from a liberal arts college so…).

The instructor, Cade, is as vivacious and hilarious as he is knowledgeable. I loved his teaching style… It was improvisational lecturing. Cade does not have structured lessons, but rather he tailors each class to the cohort he is teaching.

You will spend most of your time in the ‘classroom’, but there is also a ‘dining room’ and kitchen downstairs and there are bedrooms upstairs. When I first saw the bedrooms, jam-packed with bunk beds, my immediate reaction was “This is going to suck!”, but surprisingly it didn’t… By the second night, I was too exhausted to care where I was sleeping… the only thing that does suck about the living situation is that there aren’t enough bathrooms at CH1, but if you learn to love showering on your lunch break or at night, you’ll be fine.

Besides the learning the other great thing about Coding House is the community that develops there. The intensity of the program and close quarters, create an environment where people just seem to naturally want to help and bond with one another. Everyone was more than willing to take the time to look at my code and see if they could help anytime I was stuck— and I was always excited to return the favor for anyone else whenever I could… There is just a good vibe in that house.

CH2, where the second part of the program takes place is a more modern house. There is a little more space in the bedrooms and there are more bathrooms. Instead of having a central classroom there are two rooms with work stations. The second half of the program focuses on large scale group projects. You will work just as hard during the second half of the program, but you will get a lot more freedom on what you are working on. You will also be a code mentor to the new cohort that is in CH1. It may sound like this is just part of Nick’s brilliant business, plan —paying him to work for him… and it is a genius business plan, but mentoring is also very helpful to the education process. When you leave coding house, you’ll need to be able to articulate what you’ve learned during job interviews etc, so explaining things to the new Cohort is a great way to solidify and articulate what you’ve learned. Plus, you can also request to mentor on days when there is a lecture that you may not have fully gotten the first time through.

I finished Coding house  a fews week ago and I think they really did set me up with all the skills and advice I’ll need to find myself a job. I plan to continue to polish the apps I made and attend meetups and workshops, so I continue to develop my skills even further but I do feel confident that if I keep after it, I will land a job as a web developer. I think coding house was definitely worth the investment.

• Christian • Graduate

In the months before I got my Ph.D. I had been seriously considering enrolling in an undergraduate program in computer science once I finished. My degree is in an interdisciplinary hybrid of computer and biological sciences, Functional Genomics, but even though I created a novel algorithm for analyzing brain wave data, I had done so in a vacuum - I’d never worked with software developers, I had no experience of how software development was actually done, and I wanted to change that to be able to fully participate in exciting possibilities that we could be facing in coming years.

There is considerable evidence indicating that we are heading towards a future replete with personal biological data and web-based tools for analyzing and interpreting these data, following a 21st century version of the Socratic adage “to know thy (biological) self”. If realized, these technologies could transform, inter alia, how people learn, make discoveries, and bring novel ideas to fruition; citizen science and maker movement are incipient forms of this possible future. The path by which I could most effectively contribute to the realization of this future, I surmised, was to acquire the skills and methodological approaches of real software developers.

Then I heard about software developer boot camps, and thought, “This looks like a promising alternative to a C.S. degree.”

Being a researcher, I did my homework spending hours in my off-time hunting down all of the coding schools not only in the US but also abroad. It was difficult to see through the potentially hyped claims and criticisms to arrive at a realistic assessment of any of these programs, particularly as there was considerable overlap in their curricula. The most conspicuous distinguishing factor among all of the options, however, was housing. Coding House’s full immersion live-in plan meant that, relieved of worry about room and board, I could focus completely on the coursework.

I was nervous but took the leap, and I’m so glad that I did! In addition to all that I’ve learned about software development from front-end to back end, I’ve befriended an amazing group of people not only in my cohort, and among the excellent TA’s, staff and instructors (you all know who you are), but also the founder, Nick James, who’s one of the most gracious and fun people I’ve ever met. These will be the people, my fellow Coding House alumni, who I’ll be calling in the coming years to pitch my crazy start-up ideas of the future!

One more very, very important piece of advice: take a good, hard look at your intentions and expectations when contemplating any coding boot camp, including Coding House. It is not called a “boot camp” for marketing purposes – it will potentially be the most demanding thing that you’ve done in your life. If you’re ready for the challenge, though, Coding House is the place to be.

• Alice • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate
    My Coding House experience has been generally positive, with a few rough spots that were all quickly fixed.  I applied to Coding House on their website and got an interview invite a few days later.  Since I was close by, I got invited for an in - person interview.  The house seemed nice, and there was a friendly, collaborative atmosphere, and the TAs as well as students knew the material well.  The one complaint I had at the time was that the whole house was a bit cramped.  It was a residential house, and there were around 25 people living in it.  In the new (Resident) house where you go for the second half of the program, is a bit more spacious.

After another round of interviews, which involved a live coding exercise, I was accepted into the program.  The pre work covers the front end of the MEAN Stack, and is a good representation of the first 2 weeks of the on-site program.  If you fully complete the pre work, you should be good for the program, given that you put in the effort.

The first few weeks of the program took some getting used to.  Get ready to work harder than you ever have done before, because they will push you.  Don’t fall behind, because at this rate, it is very hard to catch back up again.  They have implemented catch up days on Wednesdays, which makes this process a bit less nerve wracking.  The team is very receptive to feedback, and problems generally have solutions implemented on the same day.  They are generally good about not letting people fall behind, and TAs are available until 2 AM or later on most nights.

Later in the program, we started visiting companies and going to hackathons, which were a fun learning experience.  On weekdays, it used to be normal to stay up until 1 AM or later, although now, it is highly discouraged, because the lack of sleep will only cause you to lose the next day.

At the end of my cohort, I got interviews for positions that would be way out of reach for me just 2 months ago.  I definitely think the bootcamp did its job well, and would do it again if I had to redo this year.  One major improvement that occurred during my cohort was the switch from a 9 week program to a 14 week program. It is difficult to learn anything significant in just 9 weeks, and the 5 extra weeks helps a lot.  I got a job 2 weeks after the bootcamp ended, working as a front end developer for a startup in the city.  Compared to the 16 hour time pressured days during the bootcamp, any job seems easy.

• Joseph Benkual • Software Developer • Graduate
    My name is Joe, and I am a software developer. I graduated from University of California, Davis in 2009 with a computer science degree. I had lots of experience with coding in C++ as well as some web development using Angular and NodeJS before joining the Coding House program. While I had a good amount of experience on my resume, I never really stood out as a candidate. Coding House seemed like a great way to fill any gaps in my knowledge and to get help building a solid showcase of code samples.

The program is not super organized. It is not a bootcamp in the military sense, with schedules and a static routine that breaks you down and builds you back up. Each session is dynamic, and adapts to both the needs of the students and the market conditions. The staff collect weekly feedback and make changes, though for important matters you should take it directly to Nick or an instructor. This program feels very human, and that means while it is warm and friendly, mistakes happen and you have to just understand and forgive.

The basic overview is pretty simple. You live in a house with many other people and they are generally respectful, supporting, and easy to get along with. The food that is provided to you is very good and flexible to special needs. You spend most of the first half of the program either following along in a workshop or working on a project. The instructor will share their screen and show you how to build things from scratch. You need to be following along and writing code. At first they mostly do JavaScript and Bootstrap but every week you learn a few new tools or frameworks. Some students have trouble learning so much in so little time and limit themselves to the few technologies they are comfortable with. Try and push yourself to understand all of the major topics as they will be reintroduced later in a more complex scenario. The instructor will often pause the lecture to let you do a small challenge, such as adding a feature on top of the code you built together. If you couldn’t keep up, they will share their working code so you can still do the challenge. You will be encouraged to screen share your solution (or your bugs) and the feedback you receive is very helpful.

Most nights you will be assigned a small project to work on that uses the knowledge you gained that day. It will be difficult to finish everything before the recommended bed time (no later than 1AM) but if you work hard between dinner (6 PM) and midnight you can make good progress. Usually people are diligent workers but there will be times when people start to get distracted and it can be contagious. Do yourself a favor and make the most of each day, including time off. Don’t get me wrong, there will be times when you are just relaxing or hanging out with other students. The key is to put limits on how much time you waste each day. Otherwise you will end the program with a bunch of half-finished projects and be stressed out when it’s time to apply to jobs.

You aren’t in this program alone, but you need to be self-sufficient. The point of the program is not just to teach you JavaScript, Angular, and whatever else. The purpose is to teach you how to solve problems. In your future job, you will encounter problems you have never seen before, and google may be your only asset. While you can get some really great help from fellow students and the TA’s, you need to try and figure things out yourself first.

Coding House is a great program that is really trying to help you build a foundation for yourself. It provides you resources and environment geared towards productivity, but you have to really want to be successful. They teach you only the basics and don’t have time to go in depth. Overall I think it was worth doing, even for someone who has industry experience like myself. Both Nick and the senior instructor had several gold nuggets of advice that I treasure greatly. The experience was unique and I made some really great connections with the students and staff. I got a job I like and it pays well! While I could have gotten this far on my own eventually, it was much FASTER to get results with Coding House.

• Changed My Life!
    - 7/24/2015
    Anonymous • Full-Stack Web Developer • Graduate

From stepping through the front door at Coding House I was made to feel welcome in my new home. Sarah, always friendly and hospitable, greeted me and gave me a tour, took any dietary requests and put me at ease.

The provision of both food and accommodation is particularly ideal for those who are new to the Bay Area, or even (like me), new to the country.

Packed days of gaining relevant employable skills hand-in-hand with building a portfolio of projects kept us busy until late in the evening. The live-in TAs got to know us really well and were able to provide tailored support even at the most unsociable hours.

Coding House really was an intellectual bootcamp. There were overwhelming moments when I didn’t know how I’d be able to grasp all the new concepts. Nevertheless, with the help of the supportive staff I was able to complete the whole curriculum. The Coding House team consistently went above and beyond the basic curriculum to ensure that everyone to not only completed, but excelled.

The two months at coding house transformed my life. Every aspect of my time there has helped me along my new career path.

If you are thinking of applying to Coding House, do it! The slogan “change your life” is no exaggeration.

• Edwin Dover • Graduate

My experience at Coding House was not without its obstacles. Coming into an intensive coding bootcamp with limited background in the field was not an easy transition. However the live-in nature of Coding House allowed me to adapt quickly, soon dreaming about coding became thinking in code. Everyday during the course consists of constant hard work, both assigned and independent, however with the passion and enthusiasm for coding felt between the students, it is easy to stay positive and motivated throughout.

The instruction is clear and verbose covering many topics quickly while building on your knowledge to fully round out your education and cement a solid foundation needed to excel in the job market. While projects are assigned almost daily, there is endless room for creative exploration because finding new and clever ways to find and solve coding challenges is highly encouraged.

Overall my experience at Coding House was educational and positive, I went on to join the Resident program which is now coming to an end. I now feel confident to explore new and exciting technologies on my own and equipped with the tools and knowledge needed to enter the tech community in Silicon Valley as a junior Full Stack web developer. I would recommend it to anyone with a passion for programming and solving problems with a good attitude.

• Game changer
    - 5/6/2015
    Tommy Janszen • Graduate

I recently completed the Coding House program and have been actively interviewing for four weeks. I had three offers this morning from different companies  - all six figures and above (yes - $100,000+). I am accepting one of those now. I also turned down several other opportunities because they didn’t fit my career interest. This didn’t happen by chance and it certainly would not have been possible without the exceptional program I attended at Coding House.

For complete transparency I graduated college with a business degree, worked in the software industry (project management/account management side) for 5+ years, and completed multiple online certifications for various programming languages. I am telling you this not to brag (because this experience doesn’t mean shit) but to demonstrate these programs can benefit individuals who have a solid work/education background, as  well as those wanting to make a career change.

Prior to Coding House I was making roughly $50,000. I was teaching myself programming on the side on platforms such as Pluralsight, Codecademy, and Code School. I also took took three classes at O’Reilly School of Tech. I can say from personal experience NO ONE can become a Jr. Developer in a reasonable time using these resources. These platforms teach you programming in a kiddie pool environment far away from real world environments. Try developing a production ready application after completing those courses - it isn’t possible for 99% of people. You don’t have professionals showing you the ropes of Version Control Systems, framework architecture, Test Driven Development, Design Driven Development, development tools, deployments to AWS, Digital Ocean, Heroku, and API integrations. Anyone who is claiming someone can make the transition with only using these educational resources is clearly uneducated on software development. Those individuals are so far disconnected from reality its laughable.

Making a transition into software development is far more complicated than taking a few free courses online. Programs such as Coding House (and several others) prepare their “students” for real world application development. Bootcamps are extremely intense and mentally exhausting. You have to be resilient and willing to make a million mistakes. Yes the reward can be great on the other side (great pay and work) but you have to be honest with yourself prior to attending a camp. 2 months is a short time for anything. You have to put in countless hours before and after the program. Nothing is going to be handed to you. Welcome to life - mommy and daddy will not be there to hold your hand. These camps provide a huge stepping stone that modern Computer Science programs are not providing. I am not saying CS programs are not worth time + investment because I have never attended such a program. CS programs and bootcamps are different on so many levels and have different goals.

My Accomplishments at Coding House:
    -Accepted employment offer one month after program was complete
    -Won 1st place at Launch 215 Hackathon building an application with Sabre Cord API
    -Invited to speak with the CEO of Codecademy based on a blog post I wrote.
    -Interviewed at PayPal and Apple and completed all final rounds of the interview process (and I turned all those offers down)
    -Developed a mobile application that allows anyone to scan a barcode of a food product and know instantly if they are allergic to any ingredients.

Prior to coding house these accomplishments were not within my reach. I can honestly say I accomplished more in 2 months than would have been possible in a 18 month timeframe on my own. My money and time was well worth the investment.

What makes Coding House successful:
    -Extensive pre-work prior to attending. I spent well over 200 hours or more dedicated to preparing myself for the program.
    -One of the best damn instructors the industry has to offer. I have worked with very talented developers throughout my career and this instructor is top notch. He can teach, coach, challenge, and push you to your limits.
    -The curriculum (Javascript Stack) builds extremely well and allows for great progression
    -No others worries but coding and collaborating with other students
    -Application based learning with a solid portfolio to display at the end of the program

So what does this mean? Bootcamps are what you make of them. Are they perfect? No. But they can help propel you in many different directions for your career. Anything worth pursuing is difficult and a lot of people will fail achieving it. I swam for 4 years as a NCAA Division I athlete (again -this isn’t too brag). 20 of us started as Freshman, and 4 of us completed our Senior year. Why? Because it was hard and demanding. Bootcamps are the same. They are hard and require 110% dedication to achieving your goals. The weak will fail and blame everyone around them for it. Those people are everywhere and it’s sad they can’t take ownership for their own failures. The tough will succeed and continue to push the limits of education and software development.

• Tommy Luo

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance, the 5 Ps model I go by, and Coding House has provided me with all of that. When I first came to Coding House, I was like any other typical 4 year CS college student with tons of book knowledge, but unable to perform when asked to do it simply because I didn’t know how. I was fed up with following the typical CS track in school and blindly sending out resumes and hope for the best. So I made a decision and that landed me in Coding House, a short 12-week boot camp with an extraordinary unforgettable experience.

First, Coding House provided structure, and that meant we had a routine schedule where from morning to afternoon it was either a workshop to learn a new tool(s), language, framework, or go over a project we built. Next we would have a delicious lunch made by our Cook Sarah who never ceased to amaze me with her different sets of cuisines. After lunch, we either continue to learn, or use what we’ve learned in the morning and start right away on a new project so we can get our hands dirty asap. From there, we would work until dinner, and dinner is just as amazing as lunch if not better! After dinner, it’s considered our own time, however, we are always given a homework project to do, whether individually or in small groups. The best part is that the projects we were given are always useful in some way, whether it is a simple matching memory game or a fully functional forecast weather app to display forecast for the next 10 days. There is always a purpose and everything we built small or big is considered our portfolio. Basically, there is no meaningless work.

Also, Let me add that the Coding House Staff really understands how and what works best for the students to learn, and for me who came in not knowing a lot, it was exactly what I needed. I wasn’t just a student to them, they really try and establish a long lasting relationship and care about my success when I walk out of here. That kind of commitment and relationship in any business nowadays is rare.

However, there are some drawbacks. One, there may be some dramas between students due to different cultural backgrounds or differences in opinions about certain topics. Two, the courses are taught in a very fast pace environment and missing even half a day of content can put you behind. Some students may not be ready for that kind of pace or pressure. So once you’re a bit behind, it can be hard to catch up as the pace hardly slows down. However, that feeling of always on the edge was the key to surviving and coming out successful. Along with the help of multiple TAs constantly available to “unstuck” your problems, the constant flow of moving forward is really what makes Coding House unique!

Overall, I could not be more thankful for stumbling upon Coding House, they really have become a second family and home to me. Nick, the Coding House Founder is by far one of the most caring, passionate, and intelligent individual I’ve ever met. He truly cares for your success, if there are any problems or feedbacks, he will sit down with you individually and work out a solution that caters to your needs. Not only I have gained a bunch of new friends, awesome mentors, but the priceless social wisdom, witty perks, and technical knowledge I have obtained in this 12 short weeks was definitely life changing.

• Amah Ajavon

To anyone who wants to create a bright future in the programming world, the best strategy to acquire all the knowledge necessary is definitely by being fully immersed in it. Coding House has definitely done that for me. There is no other place in the Silicon Valley where you can learn all the latest, and most relevant frameworks while getting access to the biggest technology companies in the world, all this without worrying about where to live.  In my case, coming from Stockholm Sweden, where I was residing for the past 7 years, it was a no-brainer that Coding House was the way to go.

A little bit about my background, I’m originally from Togo West-Africa and I immigrated to the United States 16 years ago. I’m also a US Navy veteran with 8 years in the service, and I worked in all kinds of fields in construction. I was an electrician, a plumber, carpenter, contractor for cable installation, fiber technician, musician, songwriter, and a few more.  I’m by nature a handy person, and I like to fix problems. As time went by I got married to my beautiful wife Isabelle, and we now have three beautiful children. For the past few years I have been mainly just working to make ends meat. I recently came up with the resolution that I really wanted to create things that could benefit myself, and the world around me. Even though I finished my bachelor in engineering management, I was not satisfied with my practical knowledge in coding. I have always been passionate with technology so I gradually started reading up on coding courses online when I stumbled on the Coding House website.

The program is designed to first figure out where your skill level is and then cater to your growth on the individual basis, making sure everyone gets all the necessary knowledge to pursuit their career in web development. During my time at Coding House, I developed many skills; one of them was the skill of learning how to learn.  There is no way anyone can know it all in 12 weeks, but as we went through a great amount of frameworks, I’m now armed with the right tools to attack any task with confidence, and implement all the great ideas I have put on the shelves during these past years.

My name is Jose and I was in the cohort that started in January 2015 and ended April 2015. Before attending Coding House my only experience with programming was with iOS and some tutorials and courses from Treehouse. I decided to attend Coding House after deciding I wanted to make a career out of web development.

I applied to Coding House because I wanted to move to Silicon Valley and Coding House seemed to be the full package for my needs: housing, food and coding. As soon as I got to the house I felt at home, everyone at the house was very welcoming and helped me settle in. I am very grateful with Nick for really caring for the wellbeing and success of all of the students.

Coding House is not really for everyone, this program is intense and it covers in two months what other bootcamps cover in six months. You should prepare yourself before you come to the program, but if you complete the pre work you should be off to a good start. Once the program starts, expect to be deprived of sleep and to feel tired, but when you complete the different projects assigned you will feel everything was worth it. At the beginning of the program you will feel that you are not absorbing as much information as you want to, but it is normal and everyone feels that way at the beginning!

One of my favorite things about Coding House is the camaraderie that you build with the rest of the cohort; in a couple of days or weeks you build a great friendship with your classmates. There is no room for drama, since everyone is aiming for the same goal (LEARN!), everyone helps each other achieve that goal as a group and it really helps you learn faster. At Coding House (or any bootcamp), you won't become an expert coder, they will teach you the fundamentals and basics of programming and the current stack, but the most important thing you are going to learn is how to teach yourself new frameworks or languages and how to be self reliant. This is very important if you get stuck on a problem and you are alone you will be able to know how to debug yourself out of any trouble.

One of the "bad" moments during our cohort was the transition from one instructor to another after the first week. Even though the new instructor that came in is an excellent teacher, transitioning from one style of teaching to another took longer for a couple of the students. Now that the new instructor is settled in, I believe the program and it's topics are on par with some of the best bootcamps in the nation.

Coding House was a really great experience, it has it's good things and it's bad things just like any other bootcamp but the fact that they surround you with the environment, the tools and the resources to become a better developer make Coding House a great option for anyone venturing into a coding bootcamp.

• Coding House
    - 1/30/2015
    Sandeep • Student

Last year, after many years of running the rat race, I decided to set upon a new trajectory. For me that meant my job search was now going to be a career search. And for me that meant being able to act upon and materialize all the “wouldn't it be cool if there was a..” ideas that were constantly popping up in my head every so often. Being able to design all those phone apps that I had come to use and find handy.

Like many others making the change, I had heard of various coding schools that had popped up the last couple of years and, fortunate to be living in the Bay Area, be at the epicenter as most were founded here. Searching around, many seemed narrow in their scope of frameworks and languages, putting all their eggs into one technological basket so to say. Given how rapid the changes and variety of frameworks used for a all the various startups and established companies out there, this didn't seem to be the best choice. Not to mention, the money I was going to be shelling out.

After much window shopping and seminars put on by the various coding schools, I attended one put on by Coding House. What struck me first was the variety of frameworks they were covering and in the given time span (60 days).

Right off the bat, I was surprised at how that would even be possible, given that other schools seemed to have a narrower scope and usually being a 90-120 day course. What I then realized was that this was a total immersion coding bootcamp, where we would move in to a house and live breathe and eat code. Already I was getting jazzed about the idea. When I saw the cost was a full $2k less, with a very reasonable financing plan and a money back guarantee if I didn't find a developer job, I knew I not only had zero excuses, but I would be a fool not to seize the opportunity.

So I did. I joined Coding House and moved into the house in Fremont. The full immersion aspect for coding to me was and still is the crucial difference in the pursuit of becoming a developer. Just like they say for any language, best way is to move to that country and speak it. In the exact manner, CodingHouse was the country, JavaScript the primary language. Your focus was able to solely be directed towards coding while the CodingHouse staff takes care of all the daily activities (cooking, cleaning, etc.)

The other aspect to immersion that gets amplified was the presence of my fellow cohorts. Being surrounded in an environment where we are all moving towards the roughly same end goals is a huge plus, especially when entering a brand new field. Each day we are coding, to have the support network around accelerated learning far more than just following along to an online tutorial, beneficial as it is.

Every day or two, you get introduced to a new framework, server or database that is usually followed up with an app written or using said techs. We would write the apps either together as a group or individually. With an instructor their to guide us along the way to give us suggestions and help, we were able to see the practical application of the new framework we had just learned.

In addition, as we are going 7 days a week, we spent a number of weekends at meetups or hackathons to further push our coding skills. The prizes were typically negligible for the most part, but the value for envisioning, implementing, creating, presenting (and, at times, winning) our applications was immeasurable.

Coding House runs efficiently and smoothly because of an incredible staff that I was fortunate in the two months there to get to know. The TAs there are former cohorts of the program who both work in industry and to mentor incoming cohorts in the program. Everyone from the founder (Nick) to the house manager (Sarah) to our lead instructor (Samer) to the Teaching Assistants (Aziz, Ben, etc.), are incredibly nice, always make themselves available and truly want to help you achieve your dream of becoming a web developer. At Coding House, they give you all the tools and support you will need to learn and be able to realize and materialize your ideas.

Without a doubt if I had to do this all again, I would hands down go with Coding House. For the cost, the ability to design independently, the variety and amount of course material and the immersive environment, the fluency and speed with which you code, is all well worth it.

• Richard • Software Developer • Graduate

In the interest of full disclosure, I currently work on a project on which members of the Coding House staff are advisors, so I am still related to Coding House in a business sense, but I think this is nearly inevitable in the highly inter-related field of technology.

My name is Richard and in October of 2014 I was a Shift Supervisor at Starbucks. I graduated from Coding House in December of 2014, now (January 2015) I am a fulltime software developer and making roughly 3-4x what I was at Starbucks, and of course, I’m only getting started. By March I will have completely paid off the expenses of Coding House and everything from there on out will be pure profit. It is with this in mind that I endorse Coding House, because for any flaws the fledgling bootcamp may have, it actually works if you try.

When I applied to Coding House, I had about six months of light coding experience. I had taken a web design class, so my HTML and CSS were okay, and I had been working maybe 10 hours a week as an intern on a hybrid app doing some light HTML/CSS/Javascript bug fixing, but not really writing a ton of code. I have a degree in philosophy, which I actually think helped when it comes to logic. Otherwise I was a bit of a coding neophyte.

Before I go into the details of the experience, I would like to talk about the kind of person who, in my opinion, should apply to Coding House. You should be very smart, the kind of person who, though you may not have gotten good grades, could have fairly easily if you’d tried. You should have a strong grasp on logic, even if you don’t have any formal training in it. You should be dedicated to succeeding, so for sixty days, when everyone else goes out to party in the City on Sunday, you are the one staying behind and studying until your eyes hurt or if a lesson goes on for hours, you don’t get distracted checking Facebook. Finally, and most importantly, you need to have a grasp of the fundamentals of programming. You should already have a fair understanding of HTML and CSS, at least some experience with Javascript and have shown an aptitude for it. You should know what a variable, a function and a method are and how they all fit together. If you don’t know these things, the first couple weeks will be rough if not impossible, and then you will fall behind. I’m not saying you need to understand the nuances of functional programming versus object oriented programming (I didn’t when I started), but everything in this school is based upon javascript and if you can’t wrap your head around that, then you simply can’t succeed. If you fit all of these qualifications, as I did, then please read on, Coding House is for you.

Let’s start with the good. Though it isn’t coding related, Sarah, the chef (who’s blog can be found here http://coders.kitchen/) is consistently awesome. She keeps enough healthy variety in the food to maintain lunch and dinner as a highlight of every day. She also keeps the fridge stocked with yogurt, fruit, hard boiled eggs, drinks and other snacks. I never went hungry, and also, by bringing my own protein powder and exercising every morning, I stayed in shape.

My favorite part of every day was the lectures. Samer, the professor, teaches hard and fast (there are only 60 days after all), but he keeps complex subjects practical and simple. He is generally open to adjusting the class to the student needs. The lessons vary in length but often you spend around 6 hours over the course of the day in workshops and even if some of them aren’t required, I recommend not missing a single one. You learn a new concept or framework in every one that will come back to haunt you later if you don’t pay attention. Also, do his homework, it isn’t “required” but it helps drive the concepts home.

Another great advantage that Coding House offers is the TAs. In particular, Aziz or another TA was available nearly around the clock to help me with my project, homework or general questions. There was almost always at least one TA who could help me figure out my issues, but failing that Samer could help every time. Even now, after graduating, I still have access to Coding House and it’s resources if I need help or just somewhere to code.

I think one of the best things about Coding House is that it gave me the chance I always needed. The chance to quit my job, cash in my stocks and lay everything on the line to succeed. It was a huge gamble, but after two months, I came away with a job, a lot more experience, and a good grasp on HOW to learn to code. It’s important to realize that Coding House will give you some fundamentals, it will expose you to plenty of concepts and frameworks, but the learning just starts at Coding House, the rest is up to you.

Okay, let’s do the bad. First, Coding House is new. Very new. I think it’s been around for about a year as of my graduating cohort, which means that they are still learning the best way to do things on their own. The school is still evolving and they do make mistakes. Halfway through my cohort they tried making lessons not-mandatory, which meant that some of the less motivated students learned less than they should have. They also tried a couple of different learning structures, one in which we learned a framework by building an app with it, and one in which we went over a high level discussion of its features. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn’t. Generally, if the lecture didn’t work for me, I would study the same thing over after lecture, using what I learned as a base to expand. The fact that Coding House is still developing, is ultimately a good thing. I believe it will only improve over time. I’m glad I was in the fourth cohort and not the first or second, because I read some unflattering things about those times, but I see them merely as growing pains and I have good reasons to believe that the nth cohort will be better than the nth - 1 cohort.

There are some employees or TAs that are not knowledgeable enough. You find this everywhere, some employees at a Starbucks know exactly how to make everything and some don’t. Coding House suffers this as well. The trick is, if a TA doesn’t know how to help you, just go to the one who does. In the end, this wasn’t a big issue because I could always find someone who could help.

Finally, the culture is hit and miss. I can only speak for my cohort on this one, but some of the people in my cohort were immature and not dedicated to learning coding. It’s all well and good to have fun, be crazy and occasionally be crass, but there is a time and a place, and sometimes that wasn’t clear. On the flip side, there were also awesome people who I think will be my friends for a long time to come, Coding House is your family for 60 days love ‘em or hate ‘em.

Coding House was a great experience. I learned more in those 60 days than I ever did in a whole year of college and most of it is directly applicable to what I am doing now. It was an enriching experience which gave me the chance to succeed that I needed. It is not without flaws, but I believe it will get better with time. Most importantly, I had a lot of fun, made some friends, got a job and I have the ongoing support of Coding House and their resources as I strike out on my own.

• Dave • Graduate

Coding House is a development boot camp with a curriculum tailored to propel any student’s career into web development. Mileage, however, will vary depending on the individual's mindset and passion for landing their dream job. With only 8 weeks, there is a limited amount of time allotted to each topic. One must - and I stress this because it is highly important -  learn how to be comfortable with not knowing everything about a particular  technology. It is unreasonable to expect to be able to cram an extensive amount of material into such a short time period.

The learning doesn’t stop after leaving Coding House (or really any bootcamp). As a matter of fact, development itself is a career that requires constant learning, since technologies fade out and are replaced every few years.

During my time at Coding House, I was exposed to a curriculum designed to sample  a web developer's toolbox. It was comprised of basic industry standards such as Javascript, jQuery, CSS, HTML, along with the basics of  design principles (mockups, UI/UX), Bootstrap, Node, Angular.js, and Ruby-on-Rails.

It was tough and I constantly felt like I was drowning in the material. Eventually, though,  I was able to focus on the material that interested and challenged me as an individual. Time management was crucial with 6 hours dedicated to workshops each day, leaving only 6-8 hours to divvy up. I usually just expanded on whatever piqued my interested during the workshop. I spent several hours diving deep into blog posts, videos on Pluralsight and other online tutorials, and redoing the entire day’s lesson.

Aside from the awesome/flexible curriculum, the staff at Coding House were an amazing group of people. Not only were they highly devoted and motivated, they were genuinely interested in seeing me succeed, both during and after the program. They were always looking for feedback and open to suggestions.

I learned a lot of things, but I think the most valuable thing that I learned is how to act and think like a web developer. I am no longer phased when I get stuck or get massive floods of error text streaming down my screen. Sure, I became  frustrated, but I am now armed with the knowledge to resolve the situation. I learned how to help myself get unstuck as well as challenging myself so that I am not stagnant During cohort, I got to build a few things such as my restaurant app, my own language translator using Google’s API, a Twitter bot that uses Twitter’s API in order to get current weather data using another API by openweathermap. In a team, I participated in developing a mobile app using APIs from BetterDoctor and Uber.

In addition, I developed an app aimed at alleviating the pain of hosting a hack-a-thon. This also was an amazing experience as we were able to use all of our previous knowledge and combine it with Ruby on Rails, Twilio’s API, Eventbrite’s API, and Passport.

Coding House showed me the ropes on how to use modern technologies and implementing them just as a working professional would in the industry. There are, without a doubt, gaps in my current knowledge-base, but I am much more confident in my ability to read and write code than I was two months ago and am hungry to learn more.

Overall, I would say that I enjoyed my experience and got my money’s worth. There were times during the cohort where I took it easy and was not diligent, but that’s part of the grind. It is demanding and rigorous, you have to pace yourself otherwise you will burn yourself out. Now, I am taking it slow for the next few months to recollect myself, build a few apps, and learn more about web development before joining the workforce sometime next year.

Last minute tips:

1. Coding House does accept students with little programming experience, but I will say this: If you aren't planning or putting more than at least a week’s worth of effort into the pre-course work, please reconsider. While the curriculum does give you a jump start, you aren't going to come out with an enjoyable experience in just two months without sufficient preparation. Whether your interest in development may be because of curiosity or the money, just make sure you don’t falter. Recognize that failure is not an option. You don’t want to waste those two months. Work hard and relentlessly. Success only comes to those who persist to the end.

1. Having the right mind set is another important factor in getting the most out of this program. You will be introduced to many new concepts and technologies and you are going to have to absorb the key concepts and apply them. The learning happens in two phases: ping-ponging and coding. What I mean by ping-ponging is that you can’t always be stuck focusing on the basic stuff, you will have to jump back and forth between the advanced and basic topics. Reading and reviewing code, blogs, books are highly important and it should consume a good amount of your time, but don't forget to try the code for yourself! Retype the code, change the code, come up with new problems, and play with it. I like to bookmark good reading material after a read through and trying it out for another read later in the future. It just helps reinforce what I’ve learned. It is also imperative that you step out of your comfort zone as that is the only way you will truly learn the material. Besides, if you don’t get all giddy about implementing something you’ve struggled with or don’t have the curiosity to see if it works or not, you are ...
  • Don't go here
    - 10/20/2014
    Anonymous • Applicant

I actually had Coding House as one of my top 4 choices for bootcamps to attend. I ultimately declined their offer because I felt they were over-promising and not established.

I read this review (About Coding House) of the Coding House and can endorse the first 7 paragraphs because I went through the same process. I think this review is very illuminating and would encourage anyone considering attending Coding House to look elsewhere!

My experiences at Coding House have been nothing short of life changing. Learning the MEAN Stack is a daunting task and learning it in 60 days is something I considered to be impossible before coming to coming to Coding House. Coding House not only provides the superior instruction but also the unique environment required to complete this task. Disconnecting yourself from distractions and living inside a bubble of knowledge is essential for growing and learning at an outstanding rate; I would challenge anyone to find a place that does that better than Coding House. Living with your classmates and TAs as well as having a instructor on site from sunup to sundown creates a constant and uninterrupted flow of knowledge.  I have never learned faster than while at Coding House.

There are also several additional benefits that I received from Coding House that I never expected. The first being a phenomenal web presence. Having a good web presence is great for a lot of reasons but I think the best part about it is that employers find you. Almost everyday a new employer reaches out to me to see if I am interested in working there. Before Coding House I was impossible to find, now if you google me everything on the first page is about me. The other benefit of Coding House that I did not expect was the friendships. At Coding House I met some amazing people who I consider to be my very close friends. Not only have they helped me feel no so alone in a new city but also have already provided me with phenomenal job opportunities and are constantly sending me great resources whenever they find them.

If you are serious about becoming a developer and are ready to change your life then I highly recommend Coding House.

• Ben Halverson • Full stack web developer • Graduate

TL;DR
    Coding House was an awesome experience.
    Food was delicious.
    Got a job as a web developer
    Profit.

Pro’s
    Instructor lives will us and is available when we are awake at 2 am to debug code
    Learned how to build an app from concept to deployment with the MEAN stack
    No cooking required. Sarah is an awesome cook
    Visiting other companies to see how they operate was an interesting experience
    A new perspective on how to learn and solve problems

Con’s
    My cohort was mostly immature
    The AC was broken for a bit in the summer time
    Not having my car to get away from the house wasn’t easy
    Drama between two students was distracting

I attended the second cohort of Coding House from June 16th to August 16th. My cohort was 6 students and 1 instructor. From the beginning I knew the style of teaching would be project based and not lecture based. This was the main reason I choose Coding House oner other bootcamps. The other was I wanted to learn the latest and greatest technology like Mongodb, Angular, and Node. Coding House provided that as well. If you ask for it Nick provides real feedback on how to improve anything you are working on. He truly cares about helping the students and will make introductions to people that otherwise you would probably never meet.

Overall my experience with Coding House was great and would recommend it to those looking for a bootcamp that handles all of life’s distractions like commuting to work cooking and trying to find a place to live in the Bay Area. All you have to do is crawl down the stairs and be ready to learn. In the end I interviewed for a job 2 weeks before my class ended and started as soon as my class ended. I now work full time as a full stack developer for a medical startup

• Anonymous • Full-Stack Software Engineer • Graduate
    I was in last ever coding house cohort. It's too bad coding house went belly up. Because it could have really help change a lot of people's lives. It changed mine, I received a job offer before the cohort had ended. I take home roughly $12,000 a month, idk what that is a year, I'm not that good at math. I work my butt off though, overtime and everything. But it's completely up to you on your success. I believe true success from these bootcamps come to people who prepare like their life depended on it. If you prepare before the cohort very well, as in very well I mean go above and beyond the requirements they tell you what you need to know. If you do it right, your experience during will be much more enjoyable and the speed you excel at will be far beyond what you thought was possible for yourself. It's honestly an insane experience to sleep, eat, and breath code. It's all you think it about, and also dream about. I'm not some code nerd, that looks up every function for every library. But I'm not a afraid to test things out, see what it's capable of. That's all it really comes down to, your ability to understand why or why not something works the way it does. It's nice to join a bootcamp because it gives you direction if you aren't completely sure on how to learn yourself. Honestly, the most valuable part of Coding House, I believe is the ability to work with people(awesome people) learning the same things you are. Analyzing the different ways your classmates do things is absolutely crucial in getting better. That being said, coding house was an amazing environment to learn and I wouldn't have gone to Hack Reactor or any of those other camps, which I had the choice. But the live-in situation is truly an amazing concept. I believe anyone that had a "bad" experience at coding house did not "prepare" enough. I'm not saying it's easy, but preparation makes it easier.