ucla-extension-boot-camps-logo

UCLA Extension Boot Camps

Los Angeles, Los Angeles

UCLA Extension Boot Camps

UCLA Extension Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time web development courses, as well as a 24-week, part-time course in Cybersecurity in Los Angeles, California, and online. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, MongoDB, MySQL, Java, and more. The cybersecurity curriculum includes Networking Essentials, Systems, Ethical Hacking and Penetration, Programming and Scripting, Cyber Career Immersion, and more.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. The program is designed for working professionals or students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or are looking to learn a new skill.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and one-on-one career coaching. Those who complete the program will receive an Award of Completion from UCLA Extension and will have a portfolio of projects or certification training demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, or cybersecurity.

UCLA Extension Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent UCLA Extension Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.6

all (66) reviews for UCLA Extension Boot Camps →

Recent UCLA Extension Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationLos Angeles
    The Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UCLA Extension is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Students will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, students will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
    Tuition PlansPayment plan available
  • Full-Stack Flex - Full-Time

LocationLos Angeles
    The Coding Boot Camp at UCLA Extension is a 12-week, full-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

LocationLos Angeles
    The Coding Boot Camp at UCLA Extension is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
  • Full-Stack Web Development (Online) Part-Time

LocationLos Angeles
    Learn to code wherever you are. The full-stack, online curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Through hands-on projects and training, students will complete the coding program in 24 weeks via live, instructor-led lessons. Individuals receive support from a variety of channels, so students are never alone throughout their online coding boot camp journey. UCLA’s online coding boot camp gives you the opportunity to “think like a developer.” In addition to learning many of the most in-demand languages and creating your own personal portfolio, you will also partake in an 8-week Agile Team Project that mimics a real-world environment. Students are assigned a piece of the full project (division of tasks into short phases of work and frequent reassessment of adaptation of plans) and then finalize the project together with the assistance of an industry leader who has on average 5-7 years of experience as a software engineer. At the end of this online coding program, you will receive an Award of Completion from UCLA Extension, helping you stand out to employers.

- 11/20/2019
    Viana-Stine  User Photo
    Viana-Stine • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Do NOT take this course...Do NOT make the same mistakes I made.

Trilogy people are EXTREMELY helpful, always there to help you  - literally calling you two, three times a day to ask if you made your decision and if you were ready to pay for a deposit...Always helpful until you pay for the class and no longer can get your refund.

We are promised TAs who will be avaiable to help...they were not. I was in the Tue/Thu class and we were not lucky with our "help." Meanwhile Mon/Wed class had the BEST TAs. TAs were not accessible on Slack, and when you asked them questions, they never really had answers.

We were promised support with the "sucess manager" - ours (JP Alferos) was a liar (caught him lying TWICE and I have records on emails) and he left (got fired?) halfway through the course. We then had NO support for awhile...

The reason I picked UCLA was because I thought that having the "UCLA" on my resume would carry a little weight AND because the office told me class would have about 20 students. I regret it so much and I am still paying for my mistake. Trilogy folks never told me or anyone else that two classes would merge on Saturdays and therefore making the class much bigger and harder to get help from TAs.

Our instructor (Omar Patel) wasn't the greatest either. It seemed like he didnt want to be there at all. Every class, for a lot of subjects he'd teach us, there was always a "I hate this," "this is so stupid" and so on. How can someone who doesn't seem interested at all be there teaching us when we paid 10k to take this course? We had a sub a couple of times (Clark) and he was the best. He was always excited to teach you and had a positive attitude - completely different from our main instructor who seem to hate a bunch of the subjects. He was also never prepared. Once topics got harder, instead of spending a few minutes before class to go over the material, he would troubleshoot and confuse us even more than what we should - he kept saying that it was fine, that we should see him troubleshoot, that we'd go through that in the real world, and I appreciate that, but I didn't pay 10k to watch you move from file to file, trying to find out whats going on and hope that we are following him - spoiler alert: WE WEREN'T.

Save yourselve the headache - save a bit of more money and go take the course at GA. Truly smaller size class and I felt they were WAY more supportive with students.

I wasn't going to waste my time reading reviews, but I thought if this review could stop ONE person from making the same mistake I made, than it is worth it!

Tuesday, Nov 26 2019
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Viana-Stine. Our entire team is passionate about enabling student success, so we regret to hear that your boot camp experience did not live up to your expectations.

Like you noted, UCLA Extension has partnered with Trilogy Education Services (TES) to offer The Coding Boot Camp at UCLA Extension. UCLA Extension is deeply involved in the curriculum, instructor selection, and outcomes of each of our classes, and routinely meet in conjunction with TES to monitor the learning experience and performance. Both UCLA Extension and TES are truly dedicated to transforming students' lives and aim to be fully transparent about this relationship throughout the admissions process and course.

We have a multi-step admissions process to ensure that students are set up for success. During this time, we encourage participants to ask any and all relevant questions. Our enrollment agreement and admissions process do strive to make the refund policy for the program clear, noting that refunds are not possible after the drop period ends. We understand that you were unhappy with these policies and regret any inconvenience it may have caused.

Throughout our courses, we monitor instructor performance and analyze levels of engagement in the classroom, providing feedback to help them further develop their teaching skills. We understand that instructors and learners are not always a perfect match, but we do take any raised concerns extremely seriously. Our instructors and teaching assistants work to facilitate a productive and collaborative environment for all participants throughout the entirety of the course. We sincerely regret that you felt your instructional team did not provide satisfactory support and never want any of our learners to feel discouraged from continuing their work in our boot camp and beyond.

We sincerely care about all our students and would welcome the opportunity to further discuss how else we can support you at this time and help meet your expectations. If you would like, please reach out to us directly at (310) 955-4093.
  • Kevin Bilgin  User Photo
    Kevin Bilgin • Production Manager • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I took this course from January to July 2017, the instructor was Omar Patel. At the time I was working as a retail manager and thinking to change my career. I thought this is a good chance to learn how to write to code, and chance to get an entry-level job on the tech field. It starts well they send us a homework package for the start I believe I did the ok job since I never write code before, then it started to be more complicated as expected. My problem with the course they only did 10% of what they promised, once you go their website it shows they partnered many tech companies and it may be an opportunity get a job or internship there, it didn't happen. I was never able to have a chance to send a resume or any kind of contact with companies. They promised to tour these companies never happened, we suppose to have people come and talk to us every other week but the only couple of people showed up. It's been told us it needs a lot of self-effort which is true but how come an instructor doesn't follow up his student's progress and development until the end. The instructor only helps people have potential or have previous knowledge, he got paid projects for them, separate them from the class I doubt he has financial gains for that, I was expected to mix people know less and more together to help them learn each other.  The student success manager Alex Garett is another disaster, he doesn't even know whats going on in the class shows time to time and events only. Teacher assistants, they probably joined the class before then you and have some experience but they can insult you every way if you can't write code, those young fellas easy can overlook you without knowing anything about you and your background. Overall it was the worst 10k that spend plus the time, I trust UCLA's name on it but the course held by the trilogy. I accept that it's not everybody's cup of tea but still they have to put some effort into you as well not people have experience with this before. I don't even want to talk about their 'awesome' career services cuz it was awful :).

Tuesday, Dec 03 2019
    Thank you for your review, Kevin. We're happy that you enjoyed the initial content of the course but regret to hear the overall program did not live up to your expectations.

Like you noted, UCLA Extension has partnered with Trilogy Education Services (TES) to offer the UCLA Extension Coding Boot Camp. UCLA Extension is deeply involved in the curriculum, instructor selection, and outcomes of each of our classes, and routinely meet in conjunction with TES to monitor the learning experience and performance. Both UCLA Extension and TES are truly dedicated to transforming students' lives and aim to be fully transparent about this relationship throughout the admissions process and course.

We vet our instructors carefully, hiring practitioners with a minimum of three years of experience in the field in lieu of traditional professors in order to simulate real-life working environments. Throughout our course, we analyze both their performance and levels of engagement in the classroom, providing feedback to help them further develop their teaching skills. Each instructor works to facilitate a productive and collaborative environment for all participants throughout the entirety of the course, however, we understand not all teaching styles will resonate with all students.

We serve a mix of individuals ranging from beginners to professionals, and many of our learners do enter the boot camp with no prior experience. Due to the challenging nature of the course, we strive to provide additional assistance through free tutoring, office hours with instructors and TAs, optional one-on-one sessions, supplemental resources, and more. We strive to respond quickly to any concerns and conduct weekly surveys and office hour sessions to provide a voice for all of our students. We sincerely regret that you felt your instructor and TAs did not provide satisfactory support and never want any of our learners to feel discouraged from continuing their work in our boot camp and beyond.

We would love to speak with you personally to see if there is anything else we can do at this time to reinforce your learning or support your job search through career services. If you would like, please call (310) 955-4093.
  • Mo ElGabaly  User Photo
    Mo ElGabaly • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The course material is very interesting and the way the class is structured is pretty good, it takes your hand with baby steps even if you have no background about coding or engineering. The instructor "Omar in my case" stressed about the concepts way more than the technology used which is very helpful as you can venture in any language you want on your own.

I would extend the period where we learned ES6 and React but either than that I think the course's pace was pretty good for me. I ended up with 2 Full-Stack web apps and a mobile app, which was a great experience.

I highly recommend the course if you want to learn something new and even take a new career route.

Thursday, Sep 05 2019
    We appreciate your review, Mo! We're glad to hear you had a positive student experience and enjoyed your instructor—we also think Omar is pretty fantastic. We applaud all the hard work you dedicated to building some impressive web applications. Congratulations on successfully completing the course! All the best in your future endeavors.
  • David Schwartz  User Photo
    David Schwartz • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I debated whether to attend the UCLA Coding bootcamp for 2 years before finally pulling the trigger and attending. As a UCLA alumn with a B.A. in Psychology and a 14 year background as a web designer and Wordpress Developer (non-coding), I figured that the bootcamp would be a natural evolution of my skills and would give me a better understanding of development and the further ability to create more meaningful and useful applications.

Initially, I wanted to to attend the 3 month Full-time course, but when I decided to attend, there were no more spots open in the full-time program (class size is only 25 per class), and thus I was forced to take the 6 month part-time program. I was working full-time at a law firm and it was good fortune that I ended up in the part-time program instead. Between my work schedule of 40+ hours per week, class attendance of 10 hours per week and a minimum study and homework time of 20-30 hours per week, I was exhausted and at my wit's end (more about this later).

I had about 2 months before my cohort started and I decided to start trying to learn Javascript on my own to get a head-start. Coinicidentally, the book I read was "Headfirst with Javascript" or something to that effect. I already had a background in HTML and CSS after having taken a Macromedia Dreamweaver class at Santa Monica College in 2004, completing the HTML/CSS course on Codecademy, and designing numerous websites in Wordpress and HTML. I figured that I was ahead of the curve in that respect and since the MERN Stack (Mongodb, Mysql, Express, React, and Node.js), the fundamental  of the bootcamp, was based on Javascript, I figured getting a jump on it early would only help and would save some time down the road. It did!

- I would highly recommend learning as much as you can beforehand rather than waiting on the class to start. You will also have prework to complete prior to commencing class. I would recommend paying your deposit as soon as possible to both secure your spot and to get the list of prework to complete so that you can get ahead early -

The course moves extremely fast and you must be highly motivated to stay close behind. I say this because you never quite feel caught up. Concepts are introduced quickly. You are then asked to do activities in those subjects in class, and then you are expected to master those concepts at home or on your own time, before the next class, while required to complete your homework and projects on time as well. In fact, I would recommend at least 4 hours of highly-focused studying every night/day, 7 days a week, with weekends dedicated to studying for most of the day. There is a reason why they call it a bootcamp.

On the first day of the course, our instructor told us to expect a few things. he said, "Expect to fail and expect to fail often. This is how you will learn. This class is the hardest class offered through UCLA extension. If you have an ego, it will be tested often but you will have to get used to failing often. To be a Full stack developer, your job is to solve problems and come up with solutions and most times there will not be someone with you who will give you the answer. You will have to find it yourself. Part of the course is about teaching you how to learn and thus you will become a master at 'Google-Fu', the art of Googling. As a developer you will spend 90% of your time researching and 10% developing code. This can be frustrating for some and tedious for all but the better you are at mastering this skill, the better of a developer you will become."

These words were so right. I did not matter how much of a background I had previously in web design. That perceived advantage lasted for about 4 weeks and then the playing ground evened out for everyone in the class. I went from confident to panic, about 3 times per week until about the 23rd week of class. I expressed my feelings to the instructors and they explained that it was important to trust the process and do the best that I could, but keep pushing ahead.

2 things here. First, the instructors were world-class. They were extremely knowledgable, confident in their skills, able to convey difficult subjects easily, and after letting you struggle for a while, were able to provide solutions to complex problems (all of them had full-time jobs as developers during the day). One of my instructors was a former student of the same school a year prior and had recently landed a new job paying over 6 figures. That alone was motivation. Before the course, he had no prior experience as a coder. He was an English teacher!

Second, trusting the process was excellent advice. What seemed impossible or extremely confusing in the beginning, became second-nature towards the end of the program. The structure of the course was optimized from past-course experience and research, regarding current trends, to make the learning process flow synergistically, with each subject building off skills learned in prior week's subjects.

In addition, as I'm applying for jobs, the skills that we learned are the ones in the highest demand from both employers and recruiters. Along with the help from the career couselors who are tasked with helping you build your resume, offer critiques on your portfolio (that you build in class), assist with your LinkedIn profile and provide additional critiques regarding your Github account, you quickly see that you attract job prospects even before you graduate the program.

I will say this. Although you learn a ton of information, you are still only scratching the surface, and you must continue studying, practicing and building projects after the course ends because you are still, only a junior, junior developer at the completion of the program.

The class size of 25 is great because you have time to interact with both your T.A.s and instructor on a one-on-one basis and after attempting to find solutions first, the chance for them to answer questions. I was in the Monday/Wednesday class. On saturdays, we moved from a building in Westwood to a lecture hall on campus and combined our class with the Tuesday/Thursday class. This was cool because we had the opportunity to interact with 25 other people who were in the same predicament.

Over the course of the class, you end up networking and making some great connections and friendships with the people in both classes and especially the people in your chosen groups who work on class projects with you. You are required to complete 3 projects over the course of the class, and if you are creative or outgoing you can build something unique, interesting or important using the technology you learn in the course. Some people solicited companies for ideas and received a subsequent letter of recommendation. They were fortunate in this regard, and were able to build legitimate business applications for their portfolio. The hard part is doing your research, coordinating with your partners, and completing the projects within the 2 weeks you have available. At the end you must present your project to both classes.

The projects give you a chance to understand development in a team/work setting using Agile of standard development practices including using Git for version control. You also get a basic understanding of the pressure accompanied with completing a team project on a deadline and all of the stressors that go with it. I personally switched groups several times so that I had the experience and networking opportunity to meet and work with multiple people in my class. I was one of the only people who did this but it worked for me.

One thing that I really liked about the course that was different from my time at UCLA, was the fact that we were not competing against each other. There was no grading curve and a portion of our grade was based on effort and proof of work, especially in a group setting. This created a feeling of motivation to work together and to help each other out, rather than working in solitude. We formed study groups outside of class. We were encouraged to find solutions to problems by asking other classmates questions on our Slack channels, and solving problems together without the instructors help. It helped foster a bond between everyone in the class and by the end, we all felt as though we knew each other and knew each other's skillsets as well.

Throughout the 2nd half of the course, we started practicing whiteboarding algoriths that were typically given during interviews at prominent tech companies. We had the chance to try and fail these at least once per week to emulate the environment of an interview. I personally tried to tackle 3 algorithms per week in class, and 2 on my own. I feel more confident as I was able to complete 85% of them in class (with some clues and hints from the instructors) and 15% were so hard, I'm still researching the answer at the time of this review. What I realized is that in practicing algorithms, I had actually learned how to program code! I was slow at first, but grew faster each week.

I'm no expert by any means but I can say that I have become a Full Stack Developer. I know enough to build basic applications and with time and a chrome browser, I can build more complex full stack applications. I know how to use HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JQuery, Git, Restful Apis, Ajax. No Sql Databases like Firebase and MongoDb, Node.js, Express.js, React.js, Handlebars, Sequelize, and when looking at other programming languages, I am able to understand them at first glance, giving me the ability to learn new technologies faster and with confidence.

There is a lack of developers in the world today, I'm lucky to live in Los Angeles where there is a hiring surge and high demand for developers. There are so many options for employment in so many different fields. I find the field of software development extremely interesting, even more so after having completed the course, I feel like I have gained super powers because I can now build applications to support any crazy idea I come up with. It takes a certain type of person to become a developer. You have to be motivated, detail-oriented, patient, stubborn with the attitude that you will perservere despite difficulty. Motivation will get you further than intelligence in this field.

Out of a class of 25, only 16 people graduated and completed the course. Of those, there were some extremely intelligent people who apparently lacked the motivation or ability to complete the course. I'm not sure, but the people who did finish all had the same motivation.

As a Bruin, I personally think I made a great decision to attend the UCLA Coding Bootcamp. There are literally hundreds of bootcamps available to attend, but after doing research I found that UCLA offered the best curriculum, in the least amount of time. The price was reasonable. The instructors and staff were top-notch and experts in the field, and the results speak for themself. Other bootcamps were either expensive, explored too many stacks to be effective, were not convenient, did not carry the reputation of a school like UCLA, did not offer extensive career services, or wanted a piece of your salary for a specific amount of time once your were hired.

I highly recommend the UCLA Full Stack Web Developers Coding Bootcamp for aspiring developers. Be ready to work. Don't quit and keep learning.

Thursday, Sep 05 2019
    Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this detailed review, David! We know this is a challenging program and it takes hard work to balance the curriculum, so we commend you for your dedication and commitment to learning the fundamentals of full-stack web development.

Like you mentioned, it's important to complete the pre-work before the first day of class. This is great advice for prospective students to stay on top of their coursework as it's easy to fall behind. Our instructors are truly passionate about what they do, so we're thrilled you found them to not only be knowledgeable but great support systems.

We truly appreciate you choosing our boot camp to make a career transition and have to agree that being motivated, detail-oriented and patient will take you far in the field. Congratulations on graduating, we truly love hearing from our students! We wish you great success and are excited to see what you will continue to accomplish.
  • Christina Lavingia  User Photo
    Christina Lavingia • Software QA Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I took the part-time bootcamp online. I think the remote aspect of it made completion more difficult for many of my peers, as a majority of the original students did not finish the program.

If you're taking the program part-time alongside a full-time job, it can be incredibly challenging to balance work, personal life and the program's demands. This program takes a lot of support and understanding from family and significant others to see through completion.

Before enrolling, I'd do some preemptive self-teaching, especially of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. The course moves quickly, and the classmates who did not complete it often seemed less prepared for what they had gotten themselves into. They may not have done their due diligence to truly know they'd like this new career path. And given the costs and commitment to complete the certification, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. You have to have a degree of love for programming or a piqued interest, I think, to stick it out for 24 weeks.

Thursday, Jun 13 2019
    Way to go, Christina! Like you mentioned, this is a rigorous and fast-paced course, one that will require an extensive amount of time to master the curriculum. It takes hard work to balance the course load, so we applaud your dedication. Great insight for prospective students—reviewing essential concepts before beginning, as well as evaluating your commitment to this new field, will help you successfully complete the boot camp. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! We're confident you will go on to do incredible things with your new skills.
  • Hanna  User Photo
    Hanna • Student Verified via GitHub

The UCLA Coding Bootcamp provides an in-depth introduction into all the lanuages and tools you will need to pursue web development. If you are someone who needs to hear information, interact with educators and have structure to jump start your learning I highly recommend this course. Please note that the course is very classroom, homework and project based (no testing). This is beneficial because it will prepare you for the inevitable collaborative, team-intensive professional environment and project management tools (GitHub), however, I recommend testing yourself or asking the TAs and instructors to challenge you to ensure you retain information and develop proper thinking. I personally appreicate testing for the different type of feedback it provides; I learn where I am competent and where I need to study more. I would have liked more testing.

Furthermore, there is an incredible career support team that will help you develop all the skills and materials you need not only while you're in the course but until you land a job afterward! This is an invaluable resource as landing a job requires different skills than just technical! The "Milestones" are more like check-ins and provide just enough feedback. If you need more personalized attention and assistance definitely schedule and build a rapport with your career coach. To supplement the career services, there are online workshops for behavioral interviews, talks with industry professionals, how to write a technical resume, negotiating salary, etc..

Like with anything, the more you put into the course, the more you will get out of it! Be ready for class. Get sleep and eat well. Utilize office hours and career and tutoring services. Practice logic on Code Signal or Code Wars (highly recommended). You will set yourself up for success. And remember to rest, not quit.

Friday, May 31 2019
    Thank you for sharing your boot camp experience, Hanna! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the collaborative, in-person classroom structure. We also believe that continually seeking further help from our entire team can supplement your learning, so we appreciate all the helpful advice you shared for prospective learners. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you continued success in all that you do!
  • Corrado  User Photo
    Corrado • Student Verified via LinkedIn

It was fantastic experience, both professionally and personally. The program is well put together, the hours are very resonable and the instructor Clark and the TA Patrick  and Peter  are very knowledgeable on the subject.

The coaching mentor Irene is very organized as well and will give you all tools and information to get you ready for a possible interview.

Be prepared tho, this is not a walk in the park. It requires hard work in class and outside of class hours, nobody is gonna hand you a job after the class.

The best suggestion i can provide is to completely dedicate yourself to it and give it your best shot.

Friday, Feb 22 2019
    Amazing, Corrado! It's great to hear you had a fantastic boot camp experience and found our entire team to be knowledgeable, as well as resourceful — we also agree that Clark, Patrick, Peter, and Irene are pretty great. You're completely right that this program requires hard work, both in and out of the classroom. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! All the best as you continue forward.
  • Devon B  User Photo
    Devon B Verified via GitHub

The class was great. There were times where I felt the class was moving way too fast - but for the most part it moved at a steady enough pace. I learned quickly not to dwell on a topic for too long if I wasn't fully grasping it to avoid falling behind on new/current topics.

One negative thing I felt is that some students tended to hog TA Help time and/or questions/answers during class which made it difficult to get a word in sometimes. Also some of the conversations between students in class before/after class started seemed a little inappropriate at times - maybe set better

Would recommend the program. Easy to get to in Westwood, CA. Right next to the beautiful UCLA campus. Plenty of parking. Clark will no longer be teaching the class but I have confidence his replacement will be great.

Wednesday, Feb 20 2019
    Thank you for sharing your journey, Devon! We're thrilled you had a great boot camp experience — we also think Clark is pretty great. We strive to foster a positive classroom environment, so we truly appreciate your feedback. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Kyle Dohmen  User Photo
    Kyle Dohmen • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

When I first decided to look for a class to sign up for, I didn't have a good idea as to what I actually wanted to do. I did some research and found UCLA coding bootcamp. After some debating, I signed up and never looked back. After the first week, I already learned a lot more than I ever knew before. As class went on, everyday brought more challenges with lots of help that was just a question away. We would jump from one activitey to then next. If there was ever something that I didn't understand, the teacher and TA's were more than happy to help! As we got closer to the end of the class, things did get a little difficult, but with the posotive support from everyone in the school, we all made it together. I have never been to  a school that can show so much support in learning and in personal matters.

Now that I graduated, I am activley looking for a job and I still have support. Career services helped me setup my resume, portfolio, and my LinkedIn acct to make me look professional and employment ready.

This course was the experience of a lifetime and I met many good (virtual) friends along the way!

Friday, Feb 15 2019
    Thank you, Kyle! We're happy you learned the fundamentals of full-stack web development and felt supported by our entire team. We're looking forward to providing continued job assistance. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Pauline B.  User Photo
    Pauline B. • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Prior to choosing a program, I researched a number of options. What gravitated me towards choosing this one was both the price point, as well as the content of the curriculum. For a much lower price compared to other bootcamps, in this course you learn tools and technologies both for front-end as well as back-end development. Not only that, although the full-time course is much more rigorous and you have less time to digest the material, working through solving problems with others and making connections in class was invaluable.

I am happy and grateful to have been part of a class full of students eager to learn and work together. Our instructor, Clark, was an incredibly valuable resource and skilled lecturer. Having two TA's in the class was very effective in getting extra help both inside and outside of class. Despite the fast-paced nature of the course, the material was covered in such a way that was clear and to the point. I found that the structure of the class (lecture/activities/homework/projects) was effective in being able to learn a large amount of material in a short period.

It is important to note that there is no magical course or book that will make one a skilled developer. It takes hundreds of hours of practice. This course gave me the knowledge, tools, and skills I needed to be a developer, but beyond that, it is up to every student to take the initiative to continue to polish their skills. This course will give you just that --- the skills and problem solving strategies needed to take a dive into being a developer in the field. Beyond the course, career services does a great job in guiding and encouraging you through your job search.

Looking back on my experience from the program, I got what I wanted and more. In hindsight, I'd definitely choose this course again.

Monday, Feb 04 2019
    Amazing, Pauline! We're thrilled you were able to learn the fundamentals of full-stack web development and felt supported by our instructional staff —we also think Clark is pretty great. You are absolutely right that this program requires hard work and initiative—you have provided great advice for future students! Congratulations on successfully completing the program and thank you for your review. All the best as you continue forward.
  • Bryan Castleman  User Photo
    Bryan Castleman • Database Admin / Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

In 2017, I was married with three children, and expecting another in April. I commuted from the easternmost part of Los Angeles County to UCLA in order to do the part-time Full Stack program in the evenings. I attended on Monday and Wednesday evenings and on Saturday mornings into the afternoon.

Before making the choice to attend The Coding Bootcamp at UCLA Extension, I considered a few other bootcamps by visiting, interviewing, or researching them.

My initial interesting in web development came through my experience learning web design. I wanted to do more with code. I like to solve problems. This was coupled with my desire to make more money for my family so that my wife could stay home and raise and educate our children.

A few things sealed the deal.

1. The price. I was looking for a return on my investment. I hoped to be able to start a new career by raising my income by the cost of tuition. I couldn't afford to move to the west side of LA with my family. I needed to keep my job as a property manager where I got free rent.

2. The content of the education. The full stack Javascript based education was what I desired.

3. The length of the program. I thought 24 weeks was a better amount of time for me to digest and consume the material than 10 or 12 weeks.

In hindsight, there are things I would have done differently. I would have utilized their career services more. However, with my busy work and life schedule that was the thing that was sacrificed. Yet, that was a service that I later found out I needed most. I needed all of the help I could get. The school helped me beyond my graduation date with job seeking advice. For that I am grateful.

My course instructor was entirely competent in the technologies he taught, and some aids were great developers in their own right. My teacher made learning the material fun, and he cared about the development of his students. He devoted a lot of personal time to our success.

In the end, I'm proud to say that I achieved my goals. I got a job managing multiple databases, where I am going to use my skills to help my company. I can improve some of their processes, write some SQL and Javascript code, work with APIs. I'll improve my co-workers lives and make my boss happy.

I was able to fetch a fair salary for my first job, and I actually enjoy the work. I achieved my personal goals and my future looks bright.

That's a great thing for me too, because we are expecting our fifth child in 2019.

Thanks to the faculty at Trilogy Education Services and The Coding Bootcamp at UCLA Extension. I couldn't have asked for a better faculty and group of students to participate in this with. It was all worth it.

Monday, Dec 31 2018
    Way to go, Bryan! We're thrilled you had a great student experience and truly benefited from our entire team's assistance. Congratulations on graduating and landing an exciting new career role! We wish you all the success in your future endeavors.
  • Bianca T  User Photo
    Bianca T • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was a product manager at software start up with no technical background before starting this bootcamp. I researched many bootcamps and narrowed it down to this and General Assembly. I chose UCLA for 2 reasons: the curriculumn seemed more relevant and focused, and the price was considerable cheaper. I also took some online courses on Udemy before class startd which I would highly recommend you learn as much as you can beforehand.

The great: The class itself was great I really loved going to school everyday. I had Clark Nielsen as the instructor and he is really great at teaching, fun guy, and genuinely cares about you. The TA's were great as well, super willing to help and knowledgable. I will saw the limited contact I had with the part time teacher and TAs made it seem like they full time crew is MUCH better.

The (minor) bad: Career Services has great intentions, but its very clear they are stretched too thin and are working with too many students at a time. They are NOT going to find you a job. However it is worth talking to your career counselor so they can point you in the right direction in terms of your resume and linkedin. I think somewhere like GA probably will help you more with finding a job, but really it comes down to your skills and how hard you hustle for yourself. I knew from reviews career services wasnt as good as GA going into it but I chose this bootcamp anyway.

The end result: Its been about 1 month since the bootcamp ended and I have received two job offers for developer roles at companies I really like. To be clear, that was from me applying to jobs on my own and actively networking and going to meet ups. I would highly recommend this bootcamp if you are serious about becoming a developer but be ready to work. Theres nothing magical that happens at bootcamp, you have to make it happen for yourself by learnin and networking, but this will provide you with the knowledge you need to be succesful.

Friday, Jun 01 2018
    Thank you for your review, Bianca! We are so glad to hear that you had an overall positive experience, and we applaud you for all of the hard work you dedicated to this program. Our instructors and TAs are passionate about student success, so we're happy to hear they provided the necessary support and guidance you needed - we also think Clark and our TAs are pretty great!

You are completely right that our career services are built on the principle of empowerment, and while we do not secure direct employment for students, we empower them the best we can with the necessary tools and support for entering the job market. We cannot do the work for the students, but we do encourage, guide, and coach them as they work to enter the industry. We strive to be clear about these expectations so students best understand how to take advantage of the services we offer, including resume support, portfolio reviews, 1:1 coaching, and technical interview training. Although we assist multiple students, our career team always tries to make themselves available to provide individualized support. We take student feedback like yours seriously, and we are continuously refining our career services curriculum to best help students prepare for the job search.

Congratulations on graduating, we commend you for all of the long hours you put in during the course and during the job hunt - it definitely paid off. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Fred Jones  User Photo
    Fred Jones • Student Verified via GitHub

I do not understand how this course has above 4.5 stars, this is definitely a money grab. Be very careful when picking a boot camp to attend, the teacher I had was let go after 3 months of work, and no explanation was given to the students. Our 2nd teacher was much better but 3 months of course work was lost. The coarse work is just repeated from the last sections of the courses, and the grades are irrelevant. The career help that they offer is lack luster and more of someone telling you how to apply to a job, and hopefully you are in the course they build the schedule around or most of the events will be going on during your class. I would highly recommend looking into other courses, the prework was pretty much useless as they continually did not use the technologies they had you download and work with during the class, or they would say that they hardly use these technologies in the real world. I understand tech moves at an unbelievable rate but I would have thought this course would keep pace but they dropped the ball time and time again.

If you are still thinking about taking this course, just realize you can probably get this same exact material from Udacity, Udemy, Codeacadamy and it will probably be taught with better understanding of the material.

Also, they market this coarse for working professionals, expect to take your career service calls on your lunch break or you will miss them, Overall this class has put a very bad taste in my mouth for UCLA who I would have held to a much higher standard, you also will have a hit or miss tutor that is assigned to you that is barely ahead of you in classes. The tutors are simply following along a structured plan rather than being able to teach it from their own knowledge if they are able to teach the material at all.

Once again I highly recommend researching other boot camps, but just know what you are getting yourself into if you do signup for this boot camp.

Thursday, May 17 2018
    Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review, Fred. We regret your program experience did not live up to your expectations. Our program has an intensive vetting process for instructors and requires a minimum of three years' experience as an active practitioner in the tech industry. We measure our instructor success based on participant feedback, video audits of their teaching, and classroom assessments. Your cohort did experience an instructional change and we worked hard to ensure our students would have the best tools and instruction to be successful. We're glad to know you felt your new Lead Instructor was a good fit in guiding your cohort forward, as we strived to make these changes a seamless transition.

We design our curriculum based on the latest market skills that students can use to enter the current web development field. As this is a boot camp, we do our best to communicate to students that because we cover a full-stack, topics are introduced at a high level in a limited amount of time. Our program prides itself on teaching students how to learn, providing individuals with strong foundational skills that will allow them to easily dive into other programming languages post-graduation. Our pre-work consists of installing well-known platforms like Slack, Heroku, Node.js, and more, in order to streamline communication and web application deployment. We do realize some of these programs are not used until later on in the course, but we've discovered installing these in advance helps students maximize their time both during and outside of class. We understand you would have liked more rigorous pre-work and appreciate this input as we are constantly working to ensure students are prepared and learning the most valuable and up-to-date technologies.

Our professional development services are built on the principle of empowerment. We understand you would have preferred more scheduling flexibility for some aspects of our career services. As we know that many of our students work full-time in addition to attending our program, we do our best to offer our services and career support during time slots that work for all students, but we know this isn't always possible. We strive to set clear expectations and provide individualized support through technical interview training, portfolio reviews, resume/social media profile support, and more, but we are also constantly refining our career services to best help students prepare for the job search.

The student experience does not end upon graduation, and we want you to know we're still here to assist you in whatever way we can. It's our goal for all students to feel equipped and confident in their skills upon leaving our program, so I'd love to hear from you directly to see what else we can do at this time to help you feel prepared for the job search and best meet your expectations. Please reach out to me at (310) 955-4093. We wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors!
  • Kevin de Bree  User Photo
    Kevin de Bree • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I came in with a background in Research, and I was considering a career shift into Software Development. This program was the best fit for me, given my circumstances. This program was fantastic, and I felt that at every level the instructors, TAs, and support staff were dedicated to our success. The challenges that I faced during the course were the sheer volume of information that was thrown at us. I had the great fortune to have a really great instructor, Omar Patel, who helped guide us through a lot of the very difficult topics.

While I found the course to be easy, I had some exposure to coding and software beforehand. However, I still found it very challenging because of the sheer volume of information that needed to be absorbed. Still, I don't think that there was any other way to learn this much information in this short of a time period. For prospective students, I would highly recommend making sure that you can dedicate the time necessary to succeed.

For career support, I'm currently still in the job search. However, I am encouraged after meeting with several industry insiders and career professionals who have offered me mentorship. They were very impressed with how much I had learned, and I think that that reflected very well on the course as a whole.

My biggest challenge during this course was being able to manage my time effectively. I worked full time while going to class, and I found time management very difficult. However, that was to be expected. Overall, I felt that this program was a very positive experience.

Thursday, Mar 15 2018
    Congratulations on completing the course, Kevin! We’re thrilled to hear we provided the well-rounded curriculum and supportive instructional team you needed. We realize many students such as yourself work full-time while simultaneously attending the boot camp, and like you mentioned—time management and discipline are necessary to succeed. We are proud of all your hard work, and we wish you the best of luck in your future achievements!
  • Kellen  User Photo
    Kellen • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I recently graduated from the April 2017 - Oct 2017 Part Time Cohort. I have to say this was easily one of the best investments I've ever made for my career. Prior enrolling into the Coding Bootcamp at UCLA Extension I was researching many close competitors but UCLA was the best choice for several reasons: Cost, MERN Stack, Reputation, Part Time Options.

Upon enrolling in this bootcamp I had 2-3 months of coding experience under my belt and I have to say this program is extremely fast paced and intense. The rate of learning is unlike anything else I have experienced but it's the only way to make a serious career transition. Every week it's like climbing a new mountain as there is so much to learn and absorb. It requires full commitment inside and outside of the classroom to succeed.

What I enjoyed most about the program was the support from the instructional staff. We had a top notch instructor - Cameron Manavian who had 15 years experience in the field and several teaching assistants who were full time software engineers. No matter how difficult the class was - they were with us every step of the way and I don't think I would have been able to succeed without them.

In addition I saw myself grow as person and overcome enormous challenges while building strong relationships with classmates. It was a very positive learning environment and much different than your traditional college classroom. I fully endorse the Coding Bootcamp at UCLA Extension and believe it's a high quality program. Although I'm still in the job search process, I have returned to the program as a TA for the Nov 2017 cohort which I did not even think was possible for a fresh grad.

If you are considering this program - I highly recommend it. My best piece of advice is to fully commit to the program while in it and trust the process which is not always enjoyable. This program teaches very in demand skills and it's worth your time.

BTW - Alex Garret is a great student success manager if you get the chance to work with him. He will steer you in the right direction no matter what background you are coming from.

Monday, Dec 11 2017
    Hi Kellen,

We're thrilled to hear that our program was the best choice for your boot camp journey because of our tuition pricing, curriculum, reputation, and convenient part-time options. As you mention, this program can be challenging because our students learn many new skills in an abbreviated time period and it does require a commitment of time and effort in order for our students to get the most out of this course.

It makes us incredibly proud of our team to hear that your instructors and TAs were so dedicated to providing the instruction and support you needed in order to be successful in this program. It is terrific that our program provided you with a uniquely positive learning experience, and we're thrilled to have earned your endorsement as a high-quality program.

Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed review of your experience, and for sharing your advice for future students. We applaud you for all of the hard work you put into this course, and we're happy to hear that you will be joining our team as a TA. Congratulations on completing the boot camp, we wish you nothing but the best of luck in all your future endeavors.
  • Brandon C  User Photo
    Brandon C • Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The Coding Boot Camp experience at UCLA was an amazing experience where I made invaluable connections with both peers and professionals alike. I am known for being very wordy and rambling, so I'll try my best to keep myself concise. Just as a general background information about myself before the program, I'm a UCR graduate of 2015 with a Bachelors of Arts in English in Literature. I had zero experience in anything to do with programming before this experience, and now I'm employed with an established financial tech company in DTLA, and learning tons (DevOps, Full Stack Development, Automation, etc).

Curriculum - Being a complete novice with all things web development, this curriculum turned me into a capable programmer qualified to get interviews and getting job offer(s). There was a wide range of students in this program, one was a professor in data science, some in the cohort had also taken other boot camp courses (General Assembly) and/or online degrees (i.e. Udacity), some with a Computer Science degree, and some who already had several years of experience in the tech industry as developers. I felt that for serving such a wide audience, the curriculum was capable of teaching people with no experience and those with experience equally well. If anyone seemed to fall behind, the instructor was willing to set aside time outside of their own regular office hours.

One thing that one should consider is that the curriculum (even in a part-time program that's extended over 6-7 months), the topics are mainly taught to a point where you will have a good understanding. Mastery or even advanced skills comes from one's own work ethics, and drive to educate themselves on said topics further. One of the many reasons why I think part-time coding boot camp was such as wise decision is that it gave me time in between the lectures to truly absorb the material and study it, rather than cram it in a single day.

-----

Instructors - I've had Omar as my instructor and it was with his successful style of teaching that I was able to absorb content so quickly, all the while being able to research and create more projects (I went into AR/VR games, a little bit into ML but never published to public repo since it was a pet project, and much more exciting projects). It was through his informative lecture and guidance, that I was able to absorb a great volume of content in a short amount of time.

Another thing to consider is the fact that Omar took extra time outside of his work hours to help students, something that I think should be commended to the highest degree as it shows true passion and support for students' growth. Many instances of him launching Zoom meetings on Sundays or other days to review and go over any questions anyone had throughout the curriculum (from other schools across the country too). Stellar dedication and wisdom from years of experience in the field, what more can you ask for a mentor?

-----

Job Assistance: This is the portion that I think many people have been pretty harsh on their reviews with. Without getting too specific, our program initially had another career counselor who was in charge of our UCLA cohort. They were engaged during the first week of the course, but as soon as the third week came around, they disappeared and communication was close to null. It was later announced that we would be getting another career counselor already in charge of a huge program at another school.

Judging simply from the background story, anyone can guess that only means that this career counselor would be in charge of multiple cohorts, not just a single set like it was designed to be. So why did I give this program's Job Assistance score an amazing score of 5 stars? It's because the individual in charge of various cohorts including ours, Jenna Fuentes, did a stellar job even with double or even triple the amount of responsibilities she had compared to the norm.

Much like the course (including the curriculum itself), you get what you put into the job search. Jenna set up a comprehensive session that seemed to target as wide of an audience in the graduate pool. I think it's a flawed to rate Job Assistance low based on job placement after graduation since the junior-dev job market is quite competitive with so many other boot camps producing developers, along with the typical pool of CS graduates and self-taught programmers.

--------

To be perfectly real with those looking into getting any form of accelerated path into development, if you're in it to get a job as soon as possible. Just know that it's competitive and you need to put in the effort to get as much return on your time invested in this program. But like any other job market, if you have friends/familiy members in the industry, you will likely get an easy-way into the industry yourself via referral (from what I've noticed from majority of those that got employed fairly early). So definitely listen to your career counselor and instructor on networking as much as you can, or be prepared for the job hunt. Good luck to future aspiring developers joining this program, and just realize that taking a program like this will give you invaluable skills that you will likely benefit from even outside of a full stack development position.

Wednesday, Oct 25 2017
    Congratulations on your new job, Brandon! We're thrilled to hear that you had such a positive and impactful experience with our program. We know that this course can require dedication, especially for students without prior experience. We applaud you for all of your hard work.

We know the importance of quality instruction and assistance, so it makes us very proud of our team to hear that they are working so hard to provide our students with the guidance and support they need to learn these valuable skills.

Thank you for taking the time to provide so many detailed insights and advice for future students. It's truly incredible to hear about your journey through our program, and your success since completing the boot camp. We're cheering you on as you move forward in your career.
  • Charlotte Anongos  User Photo
    Charlotte Anongos • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The Good:

1. You will learn a lot. You will learn important skills. You need to be mentally prepared for this and adapt your work schedule to keep up accordingly. You will keep on learning after the course. However, you must be prepared accordingly. Watch JS tutorials. Read JS books. Finish the courses on code academy and if you want more preparation, get the highly reviewed $180 dollar courses on udemy when they’re on sale (hint: they’re always on sale for $10-$15).

2. You will meet people in the same boat as you and at the end of the class they will be your future network. Each class has their own Slack channel for communication with each other. Don’t be afraid to message each other for help or support. You’re all there to learn and be better and more empathic developers.

3. The instructors and career service people are knowledgeable and nice. Really, I’ve never met a better group of people who wouldn’t go the extra mile for their students. Go to them for support in case of breakdowns, personal issues, etc., and they’ll understand. They’re all very nice people and you should get to know them on your journey.

4. Resources. You’ll receive many resources on what to learn, how to learn, what to put on your resume, how to structure your resume. The responsibility is going to be on you to go through these resources and study them, and take them seriously. You’ll be expected to do a lot of research on your own especially when it comes to creating your own projects.

The Bad:

1. If there’s something that I wish we did more of, that would be pair programming. I believe the programming is constantly evolving and they’re instituting it more in future programs, but I wish my cohort had done more pair programming challenges. Some people did not understand the importance of communication in programming, and I think many could have benefited from the lessons that pair programming can teach.

2. On that note, technical communication could have been emphasized more. We did do whiteboarding in classes, but more emphasis on technical jargon would be useful for future technical interviews at companies.

3. Certain topics on the curriculum were skipped over and I’d have appreciated them going over some SEO techniques. Some of them can be easily researched.

4. More selectivity would probably be good for the program and the students. It seems like many students couldn’t hack the program and just disappeared. Some students also stuck with the program but seemed like they didn’t learn much from it from lack of trying. I believe they’re making the entrance more challenging, but they should really emphasize to prospective students that their hands aren’t going to be held the entire time and a lot of work would be required before the program even starts.

The Ugly:

1. Looking back at your code from the first two months and realizing that you have to refactor most of it to make it look presentable to other people.

TL;DR Learn to code, code all night, meet cool people, make friends, hang out in Westwood, get a new job, work hard, play hard, and keep learning.

Friday, Sep 22 2017
    Hi Charlotte,

We really appreciate your review. It’s wonderful that you were able to learn so many important skills from this program. We love guiding our students as they develop their skills through hard work and dedication.

You have made many useful observations. Yes, the more our student prepare for the course ahead of time, the less they struggle in learning new topics and concepts. It is also important for students to dedicate a sufficient amount of time and effort to learning these valuable new skills to get the most out of this program. Thank you for providing these useful insights to future students.

It’s incredible to hear that you were able to build a professional network, benefit from the in-depth support of your instructors and career services team, and take advantage of the many resources that we offer to our students over the course of the program. Your feedback is important to us, as we strive to continually improve our program; we appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us.

Congratulations on completing the course. We applaud all of your hard work, and all that you have accomplished in this program. We can’t wait to see what the future has in store for you, we’re cheering you on as you move forward in your career!
  • Ravinder Soni  User Photo
    Ravinder Soni • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

It is overall a great course for  aspiring web developers. They tried to touch every aspect of web development currently in market. However I am sure that they are going to get better and better in coming sessions.  During my session I was made to understand lot of web development with examples. The only  thing found needs fine tuning is .. Real Business scenario. As most of the examples were based on games only and also the data driven web development was not very much in sync with real world

Friday, Sep 15 2017
    Thank you for your review, Ravinder! It’s excellent to hear that you had a positive experience with our program. We understand that you feel we should include more real world examples in our curriculum. We are constantly updating and improving our curricula based on student feedback, so we really appreciate your input. Congratulations on completing the program, we wish you the best of luck moving forward in your career.
  • Saul Arevalo  User Photo
    Saul Arevalo • Student Verified via GitHub

When I joined the program, I had previous exposure to Computer Science Courses through college. These courses focused on older technologies compared to this program which focused on much newer technologies.  With that being said, that previous exposure was able to assist me for most of the curriculum for the course. However, there were times where I really had to invest additional time to get up to speed to get better understanding on certain topics. Overall, it appears the program itself is more suitable for a student going through additional Web Development training, a student who is computer science major or someone who is NOT employed during the time of the course unless it is related to Web Development. The whole "Part-time" as how it was advertised when I joined is not really there. If you do fall in the category of having a Job and important matters during the time of the course, you will need to cut and invest personal time in order to complete the curriculum and expand more of the knowledge. Also, one thing to remember, the learning will need to continue even after the course. Aside from that, the instructors are great, especially Omar Patel who is always willing to help students improve their skills and break things down with real life scenarios, I have a significant amount of respect for him as an instructor. Also Jonathan Arellano, one of the TAs and who has been a close friend of mine prior to the course, is a great instructor who would stand up to the plate and assist Omar on multiple occasions during class lectures. I am not saying that because he is a friend, other students will express the same. As far as the career portion, I was not fond of, there were tips that were more of opinions and unrealistic approaches.  Overall the course has provided me with the tools to continue expanding my knowledge, I am grateful to have taken it.

Monday, Sep 18 2017
    Thank you for your review, Saul. We’re glad that you had a positive experience with this program. We love hearing that your instructors and TAs worked hard to provide you with the guidance and support that you needed during the course.

We’d like to speak with you to better understand your concerns regarding the Career Services that were provided during your program. Please contact me directly at (310) 955-4093 so we can discuss your needs.

Congratulations on completing the program, we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!
  • Coding Boot Camp
    - 9/7/2017
    Thomas M Carpenter  User Photo
    Thomas M Carpenter • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Coding booting exposes students to a lot of technologies. For those that thrive in a formal class room setting and being able to interact with teacher hear other students this is the course for you. Omar P. if your lucky enough to get him is an solid instructor thst has really master the craft of engaging student and has the ability explain complex concpet in a simple manner. Cheers to him!

This course is tough! They say the class is part time however the work load can easily take 20 - 30 hours a week to complete. If you have a family go ahaead and just tell them you'll see them in six mounths since you'll spending all your free time coding. Plus having a full time job and taking this course is extemely challenging and physically taxing. Every week you're learning new technologies and just as you begin to feel comfortable with the matrial your start working on a new technology. During this difficult times I found working/pair programming with  other students and TA's assist my time of fustration.

Tip's: practice, practice, practice. Learn javscript asap!

Friday, Sep 15 2017
    Congratulations on completing the program, Thomas! We’re glad you enjoyed the benefits of our in-person format. Our instructors are the cornerstone of the student experience, so we love to hear that your instructor was able to provide you with the support you needed during your experience.

This course is challenging, and students should expect to commit an appropriate amount of their time outside of class, in order to get the most out of this program. Thank you for sharing this useful insight with future students. We’re wishing you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
  • Joyce Tio  User Photo
    Joyce Tio • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

When I signed up for this course, I was only a high school graduate and barely starting my first year in college. At first, I really did not know what to expect, and just came in ready to learn. I was learning different technologies every week, and spent long hours coding to either review the material or finish homework.The course was extremely fast-paced, and challenging. However, I was grateful that I took this course because it was a great experience. I was the youngest in my class and needed a lot of help. I received a lot of support from my instructor and TAs. They were all very helpful and took the time to sit with you to explain the material if you were ever lost. They were also easy to talk to, and made you feel comfortable when asking for help. It was obvious that they really cared about the students and were willing to go the extra mile to help students learn and understand the concepts being taught. This course not only taught me about web development but also how to manage my time better, network, and not to give up. In order to succeed in this course, you need to put a lot of time and effort. Not only by going to class and doing/following the in-class activities but also going home and reviewing the material, watching videos about the different technologies you're learning, and spending time doing homework. Expect your days to consist of coding, coding, and coding. Overall, this course was extremely difficult but definitely worth it.

Hi Joyce,

Thank you so much for your review! We’re thrilled to hear that you had a great experience with our program. As you mention this course can be challenging, so we applaud all of the hard work you put into learning these valuable skills.

We select instructors and TAs that are passionate about enabling student success, because we know the importance of quality instruction and guidance. It’s excellent to hear that our team went above and beyond to provide you with the support you needed during your journey.

It’s fantastic to hear that you learned so many useful skills in this program. We hope you’re proud of all of your accomplishments. Congratulations on completing the course, we’re cheering you on as you move forward in your career.
  • Daniel Yeh  User Photo
    Daniel Yeh • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am a EE graduate that decided to switch careers and get into web development.

What this course does for you: it provides you the structure and guidelines to learn all the fundamentals of web development. You will learn to work with many different technologies and really learn how to learn. To reiterate, you will get as much as you put in, that means bringing your own passion and work ethic to topics being covered. You will find that web development (and programming in general) is a blackhole of information. This course allows you to make sense of all the noise and truly learn. Some of the topics towards the end of the course seemed to be a little less structured but I think they will become stronger in the future. I

What this course does NOT do for you: It will not make you an expert programmer in 6 months. You are most likely not going to land a 6 figure job right after graduating.

What you need to do to succeed: Put in the time and the effort and you will be rewarded. The help is there for people who help themselves. There is little hand holding involved. Pair program often. While working in groups, make sure you have a firm understanding of the code you are writing by trading off coding and navigating. Get your resume and portfolio ready early before graduation.

Strengths: excellent instruction and competent TAs. These are the backbone of the course and they deliver well.

Cons: I would say the network of employers that work with the program is sparse and not particularly interested. The services are decent but could go more in depth with each student.

Hi Daniel,

Congratulations on completing the program! We really appreciate your feedback. You have made many excellent observations that are important for future students to know. Specifically, this course does teach students the fundamentals, and how to learn new tools, technologies and languages on their own after leaving the course, because we know that professional web developers are required to expand their skill sets constantly. Also, students do need to commit a significant amount of time and effort to acquiring these new skills. Thank you for providing these valuable insights about the program.

We’re thrilled that you found your instructors and TAs to be so helpful, since we carefully select our instruction staff to ensure that our students receive maximum support in learning these complex topics. We understand that you would have liked more in-depth career help, please allow us to provide you with the support you need at this time. I would like to speak with you directly, please contact me at (310) 955-4093 so that we can understand your concerns and help further equip you for job search success.

• Yoon  User Photo
    Yoon • Freelance Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

If you're serious about becoming a job-ready web developer and you're not just going on a whim, the Coding Boot Camp at UCLA Extension is worth the money. You see, web development is no joke. You can't BS your way through coding; you either learn and work the long hours to truly master the concepts, or you don't... Even with some programming experience under my belt, I struggled tremendously.

I took the part-time version of this course (~20 hours per week), but I imagine the full-time one would be similar in its approach and results, just much more intensive. For half the course, I had a full-time job, and during the second half, I committed myself fully to the course.

Here are the pros, the vital benefits of the boot camp:

1. Structure = ACCOUNTABILITY. The greatest value in the course is that it forces you to sink or swim. Web development must become a priority in your life. It no longer is an afterthought or an aspiration; you will live, breathe, and dream in JavaScript. Having to go to classes, answering to an instructor, getting graded, working with group members and fellow students will do that. At first, it's a shock especially if you're lazy like me, but you grow into the habit of learning this new skill.
    2. The instructor and TA's were suprisingly helpful and competent. They knew what they were teaching, and they were very pleasant at the same time. You always wonder if techies are going to be weird, but these folks were very approachable and endearing. Their advice was always helpful, and their mentorship, which still continues to an extent even after you finish, is invaluable.
    3. Course content was well-structured and had a very logical flow. One lesson transitioned with ease into another, and the way they laid out the tech stack made a lot of sense. In hindsight, it was very apparent that whoever built the curriculum knew what they were doing. So, if you truly pay attention and practice at home on your own time, you will be job-ready by the end of the program.

I attribute what I know as a developer to this program, and if I had to learn what I learned on my own, with no assistance, I imagine it would have taken much longer (honestly, a year or more). The guiding nature of this program brings you tricks, tips, and best practices, which are small individually, but over the length of the course, they add up to make you a strong and well-rounded junior developer.

Also, please take the course seriously. It will be so easy to slack off. Imagine if you were NOT paying attention in the first few weeks; because the concepts build on each other, you basically have to do some extreme catch-up OR you lose all the value you can get out of the program due to your stupidity. It's like making a jump from one rooftop to another: either go HARD or go HOME, lest you break both ankles.

Some cons:

1. Depth is not their strong suit. Although there are so many topics to cover and just not enough time to really get into the nitty-gritty of everything, I would have liked a more in-depth treatment of certain topics such as JavaScript and React. These are more advanced topics and are difficult to follow, but I believe teaching or having these materials available to students would have been super helpful, especially for the job hunt. This is where books and other video courses online filled the gap.
    2. I realize it is supposed to be a beginner-friendly course, but it would have been awesome if they had some supplementary lessons on Internet marketing, SEO, web design, analytics, and other very practical aspects of building websites and apps. I am realizing after the fact that this knowledge would have come in handy. If you are planning to launch your own websites, make sure to research this stuff on your own.
    3. Job assistance was lackluster. They are going to get you up and running with the very basics: your resume and LinkedIn game will be scrutinized. There are career assignments and activities that will force you to work on your networking and interviewing skills. However, "job assistance", in the way I wanted it, never really came. Ideally, I would've LOVED to be put in a room with 100 recruiters who are actively looking for junior developers just like me, but I would have settled for just 20-30. The amount that actually came in was a slow trickle over the length of the course, and I don't know if any of my classmates were able to capitalize on those very few leads. For me, those leads didn't convert, but I guess that says more about me. However, the staff were super helpful with career advice. The one saving grace that I can offer was that the instructor took us out to external networking events, and helped us talk to people. Our success manager actively passed us job opportunities and linked us with important people. I just wish that they threw more substantial networking events for us, ones where we can just give out our resumes like candy. However, it was a good lesson in understanding that you can't rely on external parties to promote yourself. You have to adopt a go-getter attitude to land that job or anything worthwhile in life.

Despite flaws, this boot camp is worth it.

Saturday, Sep 09 2017
    Congratulations on completing the program, Yoon! We really appreciate your feedback. Our program is designed to help students acquire skills that enable their entry into the world of professional web development, so it’s excellent to hear that you feel this program is useful for those who are serious about becoming job-ready web developers. And we agree, students who wish to be successful in this course should expect to commit a significant amount of time and effort to learning the course material—thank you for sharing this valuable insight for future students.

We’re glad that you liked the structure of this course. The in-classroom experience is designed to provide students with face-to-face instruction, opportunities to collaborate with peers, and access to maximum assistance and support. So, we’re also glad to hear that your instructors and TAs provided you with the support you needed during your journey.

It’s great that you enjoyed the course content, and feel that it allows students to become strong, well-rounded developers. We constantly update our curricula so that our students learn the most relevant and useful web development skills for their current local job market.

We understand that you wished for access to more varied and advanced topics during your program. As you mention, this program is designed for students from various backgrounds, who are looking to begin one of many career paths in web development. Because of this, we are unable to insert outside or more advanced topics into our curriculum. However, we encourage our students to network and collaborate with their instructors, TAs, and classmates to grow their knowledge base.

This course is also designed to help students develop their adaptive faculties, because professional web developers are required to expand their skill set and learn new tools or technologies, constantly. This aspect of the course is intended to enable our students to continue their education in a variety of subjects, both in and outside of web development, such as internet marketing.

It’s wonderful that you found our career services team to be helpful, and that your instructor and student success manager actively connected students with potential employers. We know our team is passionate about enabling student success, and while we do not secure employment for our students—we are here to empower you with tools that help you to prepare for entry into the job market. We’re here to help, and would like to speak with you directly to understand how we could further assist you with your job search process at this time. Please contact me directly at (310) 955-4093 so we can discuss your needs.

• Yen   User Photo
    Yen • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I first took this course because I wanted to gain more knowledge in web development. Even though the course was really challenging but I did learn a lot of different technologies. The experience was awesome, I got to meet other classmate that came from different background but we all want to learn and have the same goal. I did recieve a lot of support from the instructor, tutors and classmate. To current and future student, you need to put in a lot of effort into reviewing in class materials and homework. You need to have time management in juggling reviewing and homework, also I would recommend codewars to gain advancement in programming. Omar is a fantastic teacher, he's really hand on and engaging. He will goes the extra mile in explaining the lesson and checking in with you to make sure you are not struggling in class. I would definitely take his class again if I can. Overall, its a great course and a good learning experience.

Saturday, Sep 09 2017
    Congratulations on completing the program Yen! We really appreciate your review. We love hearing that you learned so much, had an overall positive experience with this course. We intentionally foster a sense of community that encourages our students to network and form connections with one another, so we’re glad that you enjoyed collaborating with your classmates.

It’s great to hear that your instructor is dedicated in ensuring that our students learn the course material, and stay on track. We hope you're proud of all of the hard work you put into completing the course. We’re wishing you all the best in your future endeavors.
  • Mario Zamora  User Photo
    Mario Zamora • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I found this course in a time in my life when I was in a very tough place and needed to grow. And when I looked into the program it became the right decision more and more. I came into the course with no knowledge of software engineering but came out of the course feeling so confident and powerful. You have to make this course work for you! What did you come here wanting to accomplish? Who do you want to become? How do you want to grow? Just because you sign up don't think that's the end. This course is about hard work and dedication. It's about consistently going out there and building those dreams you came in wanting to accomplish. If you're ready to change your life, yourself and your career make the commitment and take this course. The instructors are great, the staff is dedicated and everything that you need to achieve your goals is provided. The only thing needed is heart and you'll make it happen.

Wednesday, Aug 16 2017
    Hi Mario,

Thank you for your review, and congratulations on completing the program. We really appreciate this valuable feedback, as you’ve provided useful insight and excellent advice to future students.

We’re thrilled to hear that this course has had such a positive impact on your career. It’s great that our team is dedicating themselves to our students’ success, and that you had everything you needed to accomplish your goals. We applaud your hard work, and hope that you are proud of all that you have achieved in this program. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.