ucla-extension-boot-camps-logo

UCLA Extension Boot Camps

Los Angeles, Los Angeles

UCLA Extension Boot Camps

UCLA Extension Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time web development courses, as well as a 24-week, part-time course in Cybersecurity in Los Angeles, California, and online. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, MongoDB, MySQL, Java, and more. The cybersecurity curriculum includes Networking Essentials, Systems, Ethical Hacking and Penetration, Programming and Scripting, Cyber Career Immersion, and more.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. The program is designed for working professionals or students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or are looking to learn a new skill.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and one-on-one career coaching. Those who complete the program will receive an Award of Completion from UCLA Extension and will have a portfolio of projects or certification training demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, or cybersecurity.

UCLA Extension Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent UCLA Extension Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.56

all (69) reviews for UCLA Extension Boot Camps →

Recent UCLA Extension Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationLos Angeles
    The Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UCLA Extension is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Students will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, students will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
    Tuition PlansPayment plan available
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

LocationLos Angeles
    The Coding Boot Camp at UCLA Extension is a 12-week, full-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

LocationLos Angeles
    The Coding Boot Camp at UCLA Extension is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
  • Full Stack Web Development (Online) Part-Time

LocationLos Angeles
    Learn to code wherever you are. The full-stack, online curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Through hands-on projects and training, students will complete the coding program in 24 weeks via live, instructor-led lessons. Individuals receive support from a variety of channels, so students are never alone throughout their online coding boot camp journey. UCLA’s online coding boot camp gives you the opportunity to “think like a developer.” In addition to learning many of the most in-demand languages and creating your own personal portfolio, you will also partake in an 8-week Agile Team Project that mimics a real-world environment. Students are assigned a piece of the full project (division of tasks into short phases of work and frequent reassessment of adaptation of plans) and then finalize the project together with the assistance of an industry leader who has on average 5-7 years of experience as a software engineer. At the end of this online coding program, you will receive an Award of Completion from UCLA Extension, helping you stand out to employers.

• $500 UCLA Extension Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive UCLA Extension Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full Stack Web Development (Online) Part-Time (Los Angeles)
    • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time (Los Angeles)
    • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time (Los Angeles)
    • Cybersecurity - Part-Time (Los Angeles)
    - 11/20/2019
    Viana-Stine  User Photo
    Viana-Stine • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Do NOT take this course...Do NOT make the same mistakes I made.

Trilogy people are EXTREMELY helpful, always there to help you  - literally calling you two, three times a day to ask if you made your decision and if you were ready to pay for a deposit...Always helpful until you pay for the class and no longer can get your refund.

We are promised TAs who will be avaiable to help...they were not. I was in the Tue/Thu class and we were not lucky with our "help." Meanwhile Mon/Wed class had the BEST TAs. TAs were not accessible on Slack, and when you asked them questions, they never really had answers.

We were promised support with the "sucess manager" - ours (JP Alferos) was a liar (caught him lying TWICE and I have records on emails) and he left (got fired?) halfway through the course. We then had NO support for awhile...

The reason I picked UCLA was because I thought that having the "UCLA" on my resume would carry a little weight AND because the office told me class would have about 20 students. I regret it so much and I am still paying for my mistake. Trilogy folks never told me or anyone else that two classes would merge on Saturdays and therefore making the class much bigger and harder to get help from TAs.

Our instructor (Omar Patel) wasn't the greatest either. It seemed like he didnt want to be there at all. Every class, for a lot of subjects he'd teach us, there was always a "I hate this," "this is so stupid" and so on. How can someone who doesn't seem interested at all be there teaching us when we paid 10k to take this course? We had a sub a couple of times (Clark) and he was the best. He was always excited to teach you and had a positive attitude - completely different from our main instructor who seem to hate a bunch of the subjects. He was also never prepared. Once topics got harder, instead of spending a few minutes before class to go over the material, he would troubleshoot and confuse us even more than what we should - he kept saying that it was fine, that we should see him troubleshoot, that we'd go through that in the real world, and I appreciate that, but I didn't pay 10k to watch you move from file to file, trying to find out whats going on and hope that we are following him - spoiler alert: WE WEREN'T.

Save yourselve the headache - save a bit of more money and go take the course at GA. Truly smaller size class and I felt they were WAY more supportive with students.

I wasn't going to waste my time reading reviews, but I thought if this review could stop ONE person from making the same mistake I made, than it is worth it!

Tuesday, Nov 26 2019
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Viana-Stine. Our entire team is passionate about enabling student success, so we regret to hear that your boot camp experience did not live up to your expectations.

Like you noted, UCLA Extension has partnered with Trilogy Education Services (TES) to offer The Coding Boot Camp at UCLA Extension. UCLA Extension is deeply involved in the curriculum, instructor selection, and outcomes of each of our classes, and routinely meet in conjunction with TES to monitor the learning experience and performance. Both UCLA Extension and TES are truly dedicated to transforming students' lives and aim to be fully transparent about this relationship throughout the admissions process and course.

We have a multi-step admissions process to ensure that students are set up for success. During this time, we encourage participants to ask any and all relevant questions. Our enrollment agreement and admissions process do strive to make the refund policy for the program clear, noting that refunds are not possible after the drop period ends. We understand that you were unhappy with these policies and regret any inconvenience it may have caused.

Throughout our courses, we monitor instructor performance and analyze levels of engagement in the classroom, providing feedback to help them further develop their teaching skills. We understand that instructors and learners are not always a perfect match, but we do take any raised concerns extremely seriously. Our instructors and teaching assistants work to facilitate a productive and collaborative environment for all participants throughout the entirety of the course. We sincerely regret that you felt your instructional team did not provide satisfactory support and never want any of our learners to feel discouraged from continuing their work in our boot camp and beyond.

We sincerely care about all our students and would welcome the opportunity to further discuss how else we can support you at this time and help meet your expectations. If you would like, please reach out to us directly at (310) 955-4093.
  • Kevin Bilgin  User Photo
    Kevin Bilgin • Production Manager • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I took this course from January to July 2017, the instructor was Omar Patel. At the time I was working as a retail manager and thinking to change my career. I thought this is a good chance to learn how to write to code, and chance to get an entry-level job on the tech field. It starts well they send us a homework package for the start I believe I did the ok job since I never write code before, then it started to be more complicated as expected. My problem with the course they only did 10% of what they promised, once you go their website it shows they partnered many tech companies and it may be an opportunity get a job or internship there, it didn't happen. I was never able to have a chance to send a resume or any kind of contact with companies. They promised to tour these companies never happened, we suppose to have people come and talk to us every other week but the only couple of people showed up. It's been told us it needs a lot of self-effort which is true but how come an instructor doesn't follow up his student's progress and development until the end. The instructor only helps people have potential or have previous knowledge, he got paid projects for them, separate them from the class I doubt he has financial gains for that, I was expected to mix people know less and more together to help them learn each other.  The student success manager Alex Garett is another disaster, he doesn't even know whats going on in the class shows time to time and events only. Teacher assistants, they probably joined the class before then you and have some experience but they can insult you every way if you can't write code, those young fellas easy can overlook you without knowing anything about you and your background. Overall it was the worst 10k that spend plus the time, I trust UCLA's name on it but the course held by the trilogy. I accept that it's not everybody's cup of tea but still they have to put some effort into you as well not people have experience with this before. I don't even want to talk about their 'awesome' career services cuz it was awful :).

Tuesday, Dec 03 2019
    Thank you for your review, Kevin. We're happy that you enjoyed the initial content of the course but regret to hear the overall program did not live up to your expectations.

Like you noted, UCLA Extension has partnered with Trilogy Education Services (TES) to offer the UCLA Extension Coding Boot Camp. UCLA Extension is deeply involved in the curriculum, instructor selection, and outcomes of each of our classes, and routinely meet in conjunction with TES to monitor the learning experience and performance. Both UCLA Extension and TES are truly dedicated to transforming students' lives and aim to be fully transparent about this relationship throughout the admissions process and course.

We vet our instructors carefully, hiring practitioners with a minimum of three years of experience in the field in lieu of traditional professors in order to simulate real-life working environments. Throughout our course, we analyze both their performance and levels of engagement in the classroom, providing feedback to help them further develop their teaching skills. Each instructor works to facilitate a productive and collaborative environment for all participants throughout the entirety of the course, however, we understand not all teaching styles will resonate with all students.

We serve a mix of individuals ranging from beginners to professionals, and many of our learners do enter the boot camp with no prior experience. Due to the challenging nature of the course, we strive to provide additional assistance through free tutoring, office hours with instructors and TAs, optional one-on-one sessions, supplemental resources, and more. We strive to respond quickly to any concerns and conduct weekly surveys and office hour sessions to provide a voice for all of our students. We sincerely regret that you felt your instructor and TAs did not provide satisfactory support and never want any of our learners to feel discouraged from continuing their work in our boot camp and beyond.

We would love to speak with you personally to see if there is anything else we can do at this time to reinforce your learning or support your job search through career services. If you would like, please call (310) 955-4093.
  • Mo ElGabaly  User Photo
    Mo ElGabaly • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The course material is very interesting and the way the class is structured is pretty good, it takes your hand with baby steps even if you have no background about coding or engineering. The instructor "Omar in my case" stressed about the concepts way more than the technology used which is very helpful as you can venture in any language you want on your own.

I would extend the period where we learned ES6 and React but either than that I think the course's pace was pretty good for me. I ended up with 2 Full-Stack web apps and a mobile app, which was a great experience.

I highly recommend the course if you want to learn something new and even take a new career route.

Thursday, Sep 05 2019
    We appreciate your review, Mo! We're glad to hear you had a positive student experience and enjoyed your instructor—we also think Omar is pretty fantastic. We applaud all the hard work you dedicated to building some impressive web applications. Congratulations on successfully completing the course! All the best in your future endeavors.
  • David Schwartz  User Photo
    David Schwartz • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I debated whether to attend the UCLA Coding bootcamp for 2 years before finally pulling the trigger and attending. As a UCLA alumn with a B.A. in Psychology and a 14 year background as a web designer and Wordpress Developer (non-coding), I figured that the bootcamp would be a natural evolution of my skills and would give me a better understanding of development and the further ability to create more meaningful and useful applications.

Initially, I wanted to to attend the 3 month Full-time course, but when I decided to attend, there were no more spots open in the full-time program (class size is only 25 per class), and thus I was forced to take the 6 month part-time program. I was working full-time at a law firm and it was good fortune that I ended up in the part-time program instead. Between my work schedule of 40+ hours per week, class attendance of 10 hours per week and a minimum study and homework time of 20-30 hours per week, I was exhausted and at my wit's end (more about this later).

I had about 2 months before my cohort started and I decided to start trying to learn Javascript on my own to get a head-start. Coinicidentally, the book I read was "Headfirst with Javascript" or something to that effect. I already had a background in HTML and CSS after having taken a Macromedia Dreamweaver class at Santa Monica College in 2004, completing the HTML/CSS course on Codecademy, and designing numerous websites in Wordpress and HTML. I figured that I was ahead of the curve in that respect and since the MERN Stack (Mongodb, Mysql, Express, React, and Node.js), the fundamental  of the bootcamp, was based on Javascript, I figured getting a jump on it early would only help and would save some time down the road. It did!

- I would highly recommend learning as much as you can beforehand rather than waiting on the class to start. You will also have prework to complete prior to commencing class. I would recommend paying your deposit as soon as possible to both secure your spot and to get the list of prework to complete so that you can get ahead early -

The course moves extremely fast and you must be highly motivated to stay close behind. I say this because you never quite feel caught up. Concepts are introduced quickly. You are then asked to do activities in those subjects in class, and then you are expected to master those concepts at home or on your own time, before the next class, while required to complete your homework and projects on time as well. In fact, I would recommend at least 4 hours of highly-focused studying every night/day, 7 days a week, with weekends dedicated to studying for most of the day. There is a reason why they call it a bootcamp.

On the first day of the course, our instructor told us to expect a few things. he said, "Expect to fail and expect to fail often. This is how you will learn. This class is the hardest class offered through UCLA extension. If you have an ego, it will be tested often but you will have to get used to failing often. To be a Full stack developer, your job is to solve problems and come up with solutions and most times there will not be someone with you who will give you the answer. You will have to find it yourself. Part of the course is about teaching you how to learn and thus you will become a master at 'Google-Fu', the art of Googling. As a developer you will spend 90% of your time researching and 10% developing code. This can be frustrating for some and tedious for all but the better you are at mastering this skill, the better of a developer you will become."

These words were so right. I did not matter how much of a background I had previously in web design. That perceived advantage lasted for about 4 weeks and then the playing ground evened out for everyone in the class. I went from confident to panic, about 3 times per week until about the 23rd week of class. I expressed my feelings to the instructors and they explained that it was important to trust the process and do the best that I could, but keep pushing ahead.

2 things here. First, the instructors were world-class. They were extremely knowledgable, confident in their skills, able to convey difficult subjects easily, and after letting you struggle for a while, were able to provide solutions to complex problems (all of them had full-time jobs as developers during the day). One of my instructors was a former student of the same school a year prior and had recently landed a new job paying over 6 figures. That alone was motivation. Before the course, he had no prior experience as a coder. He was an English teacher!

Second, trusting the process was excellent advice. What seemed impossible or extremely confusing in the beginning, became second-nature towards the end of the program. The structure of the course was optimized from past-course experience and research, regarding current trends, to make the learning process flow synergistically, with each subject building off skills learned in prior week's subjects.

In addition, as I'm applying for jobs, the skills that we learned are the ones in the highest demand from both employers and recruiters. Along with the help from the career couselors who are tasked with helping you build your resume, offer critiques on your portfolio (that you build in class), assist with your LinkedIn profile and provide additional critiques regarding your Github account, you quickly see that you attract job prospects even before you graduate the program.

I will say this. Although you learn a ton of information, you are still only scratching the surface, and you must continue studying, practicing and building projects after the course ends because you are still, only a junior, junior developer at the completion of the program.

The class size of 25 is great because you have time to interact with both your T.A.s and instructor on a one-on-one basis and after attempting to find solutions first, the chance for them to answer questions. I was in the Monday/Wednesday class. On saturdays, we moved from a building in Westwood to a lecture hall on campus and combined our class with the Tuesday/Thursday class. This was cool because we had the opportunity to interact with 25 other people who were in the same predicament.

Over the course of the class, you end up networking and making some great connections and friendships with the people in both classes and especially the people in your chosen groups who work on class projects with you. You are required to complete 3 projects over the course of the class, and if you are creative or outgoing you can build something unique, interesting or important using the technology you learn in the course. Some people solicited companies for ideas and received a subsequent letter of recommendation. They were fortunate in this regard, and were able to build legitimate business applications for their portfolio. The hard part is doing your research, coordinating with your partners, and completing the projects within the 2 weeks you have available. At the end you must present your project to both classes.

The projects give you a chance to understand development in a team/work setting using Agile of standard development practices including using Git for version control. You also get a basic understanding of the pressure accompanied with completing a team project on a deadline and all of the stressors that go with it. I personally switched groups several times so that I had the experience and networking opportunity to meet and work with multiple people in my class. I was one of the only people who did this but it worked for me.

One thing that I really liked about the course that was different from my time at UCLA, was the fact that we were not competing against each other. There was no grading curve and a portion of our grade was based on effort and proof of work, especially in a group setting. This created a feeling of motivation to work together and to help each other out, rather than working in solitude. We formed study groups outside of class. We were encouraged to find solutions to problems by asking other classmates questions on our Slack channels, and solving problems together without the instructors help. It helped foster a bond between everyone in the class and by the end, we all felt as though we knew each other and knew each other's skillsets as well.

Throughout the 2nd half of the course, we started practicing whiteboarding algoriths that were typically given during interviews at prominent tech companies. We had the chance to try and fail these at least once per week to emulate the environment of an interview. I personally tried to tackle 3 algorithms per week in class, and 2 on my own. I feel more confident as I was able to complete 85% of them in class (with some clues and hints from the instructors) and 15% were so hard, I'm still researching the answer at the time of this review. What I realized is that in practicing algorithms, I had actually learned how to program code! I was slow at first, but grew faster each week.

I'm no expert by any means but I can say that I have become a Full Stack Developer. I know enough to build basic applications and with time and a chrome browser, I can build more complex full stack applications. I know how to use HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JQuery, Git, Restful Apis, Ajax. No Sql Databases like Firebase and MongoDb, Node.js, Express.js, React.js, Handlebars, Sequelize, and when looking at other programming languages, I am able to understand them at first glance, giving me the ability to learn new technologies faster and with confidence.

There is a lack of developers in the world today, I'm lucky to live in Los Angeles where there is a hiring surge and high demand for developers. There are so many options for employment in so many different fields. I find the field of software development extremely interesting, even more so after having completed the course, I feel like I have gained super powers because I can now build applications to support any crazy idea I come up with. It takes a certain type of person to become a developer. You have to be motivated, detail-oriented, patient, stubborn with the attitude that you will perservere despite difficulty. Motivation will get you further than intelligence in this field.

Out of a class of 25, only 16 people graduated and completed the course. Of those, there were some extremely intelligent people who apparently lacked the motivation or ability to complete the course. I'm not sure, but the people who did finish all had the same motivation.

As a Bruin, I personally think I made a great decision to attend the UCLA Coding Bootcamp. There are literally hundreds of bootcamps available to attend, but after doing research I found that UCLA offered the best curriculum, in the least amount of time. The price was reasonable. The instructors and staff were top-notch and experts in the field, and the results speak for themself. Other bootcamps were either expensive, explored too many stacks to be effective, were not convenient, did not carry the reputation of a school like UCLA, did not offer extensive career services, or wanted a piece of your salary for a specific amount of time once your were hired.

I highly recommend the UCLA Full Stack Web Developers Coding Bootcamp for aspiring developers. Be ready to work. Don't quit and keep learning.

Thursday, Sep 05 2019
    Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this detailed review, David! We know this is a challenging program and it takes hard work to balance the curriculum, so we commend you for your dedication and commitment to learning the fundamentals of full-stack web development.

Like you mentioned, it's important to complete the pre-work before the first day of class. This is great advice for prospective students to stay on top of their coursework as it's easy to fall behind. Our instructors are truly passionate about what they do, so we're thrilled you found them to not only be knowledgeable but great support systems.

We truly appreciate you choosing our boot camp to make a career transition and have to agree that being motivated, detail-oriented and patient will take you far in the field. Congratulations on graduating, we truly love hearing from our students! We wish you great success and are excited to see what you will continue to accomplish.
  • Christina Lavingia  User Photo
    Christina Lavingia • Software QA Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I took the part-time bootcamp online. I think the remote aspect of it made completion more difficult for many of my peers, as a majority of the original students did not finish the program.

If you're taking the program part-time alongside a full-time job, it can be incredibly challenging to balance work, personal life and the program's demands. This program takes a lot of support and understanding from family and significant others to see through completion.

Before enrolling, I'd do some preemptive self-teaching, especially of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. The course moves quickly, and the classmates who did not complete it often seemed less prepared for what they had gotten themselves into. They may not have done their due diligence to truly know they'd like this new career path. And given the costs and commitment to complete the certification, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. You have to have a degree of love for programming or a piqued interest, I think, to stick it out for 24 weeks.

Thursday, Jun 13 2019
    Way to go, Christina! Like you mentioned, this is a rigorous and fast-paced course, one that will require an extensive amount of time to master the curriculum. It takes hard work to balance the course load, so we applaud your dedication. Great insight for prospective students—reviewing essential concepts before beginning, as well as evaluating your commitment to this new field, will help you successfully complete the boot camp. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! We're confident you will go on to do incredible things with your new skills.
  • Hanna  User Photo
    Hanna • Student Verified via GitHub

The UCLA Coding Bootcamp provides an in-depth introduction into all the lanuages and tools you will need to pursue web development. If you are someone who needs to hear information, interact with educators and have structure to jump start your learning I highly recommend this course. Please note that the course is very classroom, homework and project based (no testing). This is beneficial because it will prepare you for the inevitable collaborative, team-intensive professional environment and project management tools (GitHub), however, I recommend testing yourself or asking the TAs and instructors to challenge you to ensure you retain information and develop proper thinking. I personally appreicate testing for the different type of feedback it provides; I learn where I am competent and where I need to study more. I would have liked more testing.

Furthermore, there is an incredible career support team that will help you develop all the skills and materials you need not only while you're in the course but until you land a job afterward! This is an invaluable resource as landing a job requires different skills than just technical! The "Milestones" are more like check-ins and provide just enough feedback. If you need more personalized attention and assistance definitely schedule and build a rapport with your career coach. To supplement the career services, there are online workshops for behavioral interviews, talks with industry professionals, how to write a technical resume, negotiating salary, etc..

Like with anything, the more you put into the course, the more you will get out of it! Be ready for class. Get sleep and eat well. Utilize office hours and career and tutoring services. Practice logic on Code Signal or Code Wars (highly recommended). You will set yourself up for success. And remember to rest, not quit.

Friday, May 31 2019
    Thank you for sharing your boot camp experience, Hanna! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the collaborative, in-person classroom structure. We also believe that continually seeking further help from our entire team can supplement your learning, so we appreciate all the helpful advice you shared for prospective learners. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you continued success in all that you do!
  • Corrado  User Photo
    Corrado • Student Verified via LinkedIn

It was fantastic experience, both professionally and personally. The program is well put together, the hours are very resonable and the instructor Clark and the TA Patrick  and Peter  are very knowledgeable on the subject.

The coaching mentor Irene is very organized as well and will give you all tools and information to get you ready for a possible interview.

Be prepared tho, this is not a walk in the park. It requires hard work in class and outside of class hours, nobody is gonna hand you a job after the class.

The best suggestion i can provide is to completely dedicate yourself to it and give it your best shot.

Friday, Feb 22 2019
    Amazing, Corrado! It's great to hear you had a fantastic boot camp experience and found our entire team to be knowledgeable, as well as resourceful — we also agree that Clark, Patrick, Peter, and Irene are pretty great. You're completely right that this program requires hard work, both in and out of the classroom. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! All the best as you continue forward.
  • Devon B  User Photo
    Devon B Verified via GitHub

The class was great. There were times where I felt the class was moving way too fast - but for the most part it moved at a steady enough pace. I learned quickly not to dwell on a topic for too long if I wasn't fully grasping it to avoid falling behind on new/current topics.

One negative thing I felt is that some students tended to hog TA Help time and/or questions/answers during class which made it difficult to get a word in sometimes. Also some of the conversations between students in class before/after class started seemed a little inappropriate at times - maybe set better

Would recommend the program. Easy to get to in Westwood, CA. Right next to the beautiful UCLA campus. Plenty of parking. Clark will no longer be teaching the class but I have confidence his replacement will be great.

Wednesday, Feb 20 2019
    Thank you for sharing your journey, Devon! We're thrilled you had a great boot camp experience — we also think Clark is pretty great. We strive to foster a positive classroom environment, so we truly appreciate your feedback. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Kyle Dohmen  User Photo
    Kyle Dohmen • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

When I first decided to look for a class to sign up for, I didn't have a good idea as to what I actually wanted to do. I did some research and found UCLA coding bootcamp. After some debating, I signed up and never looked back. After the first week, I already learned a lot more than I ever knew before. As class went on, everyday brought more challenges with lots of help that was just a question away. We would jump from one activitey to then next. If there was ever something that I didn't understand, the teacher and TA's were more than happy to help! As we got closer to the end of the class, things did get a little difficult, but with the posotive support from everyone in the school, we all made it together. I have never been to  a school that can show so much support in learning and in personal matters.

Now that I graduated, I am activley looking for a job and I still have support. Career services helped me setup my resume, portfolio, and my LinkedIn acct to make me look professional and employment ready.

This course was the experience of a lifetime and I met many good (virtual) friends along the way!

Friday, Feb 15 2019
    Thank you, Kyle! We're happy you learned the fundamentals of full-stack web development and felt supported by our entire team. We're looking forward to providing continued job assistance. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Pauline B.  User Photo
    Pauline B. • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Prior to choosing a program, I researched a number of options. What gravitated me towards choosing this one was both the price point, as well as the content of the curriculum. For a much lower price compared to other bootcamps, in this course you learn tools and technologies both for front-end as well as back-end development. Not only that, although the full-time course is much more rigorous and you have less time to digest the material, working through solving problems with others and making connections in class was invaluable.

I am happy and grateful to have been part of a class full of students eager to learn and work together. Our instructor, Clark, was an incredibly valuable resource and skilled lecturer. Having two TA's in the class was very effective in getting extra help both inside and outside of class. Despite the fast-paced nature of the course, the material was covered in such a way that was clear and to the point. I found that the structure of the class (lecture/activities/homework/projects) was effective in being able to learn a large amount of material in a short period.

It is important to note that there is no magical course or book that will make one a skilled developer. It takes hundreds of hours of practice. This course gave me the knowledge, tools, and skills I needed to be a developer, but beyond that, it is up to every student to take the initiative to continue to polish their skills. This course will give you just that --- the skills and problem solving strategies needed to take a dive into being a developer in the field. Beyond the course, career services does a great job in guiding and encouraging you through your job search.

Looking back on my experience from the program, I got what I wanted and more. In hindsight, I'd definitely choose this course again.

Monday, Feb 04 2019
    Amazing, Pauline! We're thrilled you were able to learn the fundamentals of full-stack web development and felt supported by our instructional staff —we also think Clark is pretty great. You are absolutely right that this program requires hard work and initiative—you have provided great advice for future students! Congratulations on successfully completing the program and thank you for your review. All the best as you continue forward.
  • Bryan Castleman  User Photo
    Bryan Castleman • Database Admin / Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

In 2017, I was married with three children, and expecting another in April. I commuted from the easternmost part of Los Angeles County to UCLA in order to do the part-time Full Stack program in the evenings. I attended on Monday and Wednesday evenings and on Saturday mornings into the afternoon.

Before making the choice to attend The Coding Bootcamp at UCLA Extension, I considered a few other bootcamps by visiting, interviewing, or researching them.

My initial interesting in web development came through my experience learning web design. I wanted to do more with code. I like to solve problems. This was coupled with my desire to make more money for my family so that my wife could stay home and raise and educate our children.

A few things sealed the deal.

1. The price. I was looking for a return on my investment. I hoped to be able to start a new career by raising my income by the cost of tuition. I couldn't afford to move to the west side of LA with my family. I needed to keep my job as a property manager where I got free rent.

2. The content of the education. The full stack Javascript based education was what I desired.

3. The length of the program. I thought 24 weeks was a better amount of time for me to digest and consume the material than 10 or 12 weeks.

In hindsight, there are things I would have done differently. I would have utilized their career services more. However, with my busy work and life schedule that was the thing that was sacrificed. Yet, that was a service that I later found out I needed most. I needed all of the help I could get. The school helped me beyond my graduation date with job seeking advice. For that I am grateful.

My course instructor was entirely competent in the technologies he taught, and some aids were great developers in their own right. My teacher made learning the material fun, and he cared about the development of his students. He devoted a lot of personal time to our success.

In the end, I'm proud to say that I achieved my goals. I got a job managing multiple databases, where I am going to use my skills to help my company. I can improve some of their processes, write some SQL and Javascript code, work with APIs. I'll improve my co-workers lives and make my boss happy.

I was able to fetch a fair salary for my first job, and I actually enjoy the work. I achieved my personal goals and my future looks bright.

That's a great thing for me too, because we are expecting our fifth child in 2019.

Thanks to the faculty at Trilogy Education Services and The Coding Bootcamp at UCLA Extension. I couldn't have asked for a better faculty and group of students to participate in this with. It was all worth it.

Monday, Dec 31 2018
    Way to go, Bryan! We're thrilled you had a great student experience and truly benefited from our entire team's assistance. Congratulations on graduating and landing an exciting new career role! We wish you all the success in your future endeavors.
  • Bianca T  User Photo
    Bianca T • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was a product manager at software start up with no technical background before starting this bootcamp. I researched many bootcamps and narrowed it down to this and General Assembly. I chose UCLA for 2 reasons: the curriculumn seemed more relevant and focused, and the price was considerable cheaper. I also took some online courses on Udemy before class startd which I would highly recommend you learn as much as you can beforehand.

The great: The class itself was great I really loved going to school everyday. I had Clark Nielsen as the instructor and he is really great at teaching, fun guy, and genuinely cares about you. The TA's were great as well, super willing to help and knowledgable. I will saw the limited contact I had with the part time teacher and TAs made it seem like they full time crew is MUCH better.

The (minor) bad: Career Services has great intentions, but its very clear they are stretched too thin and are working with too many students at a time. They are NOT going to find you a job. However it is worth talking to your career counselor so they can point you in the right direction in terms of your resume and linkedin. I think somewhere like GA probably will help you more with finding a job, but really it comes down to your skills and how hard you hustle for yourself. I knew from reviews career services wasnt as good as GA going into it but I chose this bootcamp anyway.

The end result: Its been about 1 month since the bootcamp ended and I have received two job offers for developer roles at companies I really like. To be clear, that was from me applying to jobs on my own and actively networking and going to meet ups. I would highly recommend this bootcamp if you are serious about becoming a developer but be ready to work. Theres nothing magical that happens at bootcamp, you have to make it happen for yourself by learnin and networking, but this will provide you with the knowledge you need to be succesful.

Response From: JP Alferos of UCLA Extension Boot Camps
    Title: Student Success Manager
    Friday, Jun 01 2018
    Thank you for your review, Bianca! We are so glad to hear that you had an overall positive experience, and we applaud you for all of the hard work you dedicated to this program. Our instructors and TAs are passionate about student success, so we're happy to hear they provided the necessary support and guidance you needed - we also think Clark and our TAs are pretty great!

You are completely right that our career services are built on the principle of empowerment, and while we do not secure direct employment for students, we empower them the best we can with the necessary tools and support for entering the job market. We cannot do the work for the students, but we do encourage, guide, and coach them as they work to enter the industry. We strive to be clear about these expectations so students best understand how to take advantage of the services we offer, including resume support, portfolio reviews, 1:1 coaching, and technical interview training. Although we assist multiple students, our career team always tries to make themselves available to provide individualized support. We take student feedback like yours seriously, and we are continuously refining our career services curriculum to best help students prepare for the job search.

Congratulations on graduating, we commend you for all of the long hours you put in during the course and during the job hunt - it definitely paid off. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors!