prehired-logo

$0
    ClimbCredit
    $0 down to complete the program and then a 16% income share for 24 months
    Refund / Guarantee
    Yes, 90-day guarantee. (https://www.sciencebasedsales.io/prehired-guarantee)
    Interview

Our latest on preHIRED

• Why I Switched from Dentistry to Software Sales with PreHIRED

Imogen Crispe4/24/2019

shannon-prehired-software-sales-bootcamp-grad

Shannon was pursuing a career in dental hygiene, but after three years, she reached a professional plateau, and was concerned about the toll the job was taking on her body. She decided to switch into software sales, and discovered preHIRED’s online software sales bootcamp. Shannon tells us why she initially thought preHIRED sounded too good to be true, how the instructors kept her accountable while she was learning, and why she wants more women in the tech industry. Plus find out how skills from her dental background are proving useful in her new role at Quinncia as Director of Partnerships!

Q&A

What is your background and what led you to enroll at preHIRED?

My bachelor’s degree is in psychology and pre-dentistry. After graduating, I went straight into dental hygiene school. While in school, I helped build a sports supplement company from the ground-up: from the guy’s basement to manufacturing to training and sales, and then management. I worked in dental hygiene for about three years but eventually felt like I had plateaued and I was losing my job satisfaction. I’m the kind of person who likes having goals, planning the next step, measuring, and improving, but that wasn’t happening anymore. While I was making good money, the job involves sitting and hunching over, which was actually taking a toll on my body. I was going to the chiropractor, and felt like I was 26 going on 90. The average hygienist only lasts 5 to 8 years because of the ergonomics.

I started thinking about the other skills I had. I liked sales but I didn’t know how to go about it. I dabbled in finance and insurance sales (which was commission-only), and then looked into pharmaceutical sales as a way to tie in my medical background. But I wanted to be passionate and believe in what I was selling, which I wouldn’t be about many drugs. And they often work 60-hour weeks, with travel. That eventually led me to software sales, and preHIRED.

Did you research other sales training courses or university courses?

Since I had my bachelors degree already and had taken some business courses, I knew I didn’t want to go back to college. I had experience and charisma, but didn’t have the base knowledge and fundamentals of sales to be proficient enough, so I started diving into preHIRED as soon as I saw their ads. Their 96% hiring rate really stuck out to me because I didn’t want to do all the work of retraining myself and then not know where to start on the other side. The fact that preHIRED really works to train you for the next level is important. I needed a career shift, I didn’t want something that was going to give me some skills but no results.

What was the preHIRED application and interview process like?

There’s an application test with 10 to 15 questions where you have to read and understand the gist of the program. Some of the questions were “What does a day-in-the-life of a sales rep look like?”, “What does preHIRED do?”, and “How do you pay for preHIRED?”

You have to get 90% in the test, then you can schedule an admissions interview. When I talked with Lael, the Admissions Advisor it felt like a two-way interview because I was still making sure it wasn’t too good to be true. I hammered him on questions about their Money-Back Guarantee, and how they helped us to stay accountable through the program. He questioned me right back to make sure I was a good fit for their program, that I was disciplined enough, could successfully complete the program, and secure a job. It was a good conversation and once we realized there was a fit, we started discussing finances.

How were you able to pay for preHIRED?

PreHIRED offers some financing options with Climb Credit, but I found the interest was lower on my credit card so between that and my savings, I was able to pay for it all upfront.

What was the learning experience like at preHIRED?

I liked how the program was developed. It was all online and broken down into modules. It starts with the basics, like what a CRM does, and then dives deeper into the fundamentals of tools and processes, and how to use and apply them. There are examples of tools you’ll use on the job like CRMs, productivity training, and lead generation. You learn their importance, how to use them, and then try free trials or demos to teach yourself some more. It was set up very well. I felt confident and didn’t have an issue taking a vacation and returning to it, and whenever I had questions, they were answered in the following module.

Once you learn and practice in the modules, you complete a certification with a number of components including demonstrating how to use a CRM, generating leads, and writing an email sequence using your job search as a practical example. You research different companies and job openings, write email sequences set up for contacting them, and submit it for your certification. The certification approval isn’t pass/fail – if it needs work, instructors send you a video response breaking down everything you did with suggestions for improvement and there’s the option to have a one-on-one conversation with a preHIRED staff member.

The program itself is 40 to 50 hours plus some independent practice work. It took me a little over a month to do it because I was working a full-time job (and took two vacations!) and the whole process from certification to job was two months.

How often did you interact with instructors and how did preHIRED help you stay on track?

Because it’s self-taught, the most interaction is when you’re getting set up, but they reach out once per week as you complete modules, they check in with us at the halfway point, and again at the end. They also use Slack so all current students, alumni, and preHIRED support staff are available for questions and the team responds very quickly.

After you complete the certification (which requires demonstrating the real-world skills taught), they check in on your job hunt once per week, ask about the companies you’re applying to, and where you’re getting stuck in the interview process. You can also schedule time with them to go over interview skills or other questions.

What types of interactions did you have with other preHIRED students?

We used Slack during the program and were able to troubleshoot issues together as needed. At one point in the program, we had to create video introductions of ourselves for prospective employers and we gave each other feedback and took inspiration for our own videos. As an alum, I’ve communicated with some prospective students over LinkedIn and answered some of their questions about the program.

Did you have a favorite project while at preHIRED?

I really enjoyed building out my Science-Based Sales® System email sequence because it showed me the more creative side of sales. Sales is no longer about cold calling, it’s about finding the problem and getting the buyer interested. PreHIRED’s system taught you how to be unique and how to properly tailor it to different people based on your ideal customer profile. I was looking for a specific type of company selling B2B software so my message to a startup CEO should be completely different than to a hiring manager at Google. I developed and submitted the profiles, then used them along with my creativity to make myself stand out.

How did the preHIRED team prepare you for the job hunting and interview process?

They broke down different personal, sales, and example questions and included them in the certification program – I had six pages of questions and answers! They also give you a list of questions to ask the employer. I didn’t realize how important it was to ask questions back that demonstrate your knowledge of the company and the role! If they ask you about your strengths, you can respond by asking how your strengths would fit into the team.

For the job search itself, the final project is setting up everything as you would in a sales sequence in a real job. It lets you use all the different processes, like finding the job posting and finding out who the decision maker is – a crucial part of the sales cycle. They show you how to speak to the decision maker on LinkedIn, whether it’s a hiring manager or a recruiter, and then the email sequence starts. You use a lead generation software to contact them over email in addition to the application and LinkedIn message. It demonstrates that you know how to pursue a lead and land the conversation – in this case an interview. That action can speak louder than a resume ever can (and can show you refuse to take “no” for an answer!).

So congrats on landing a job! Did that final project lead to this job?

After doing the whole email sales cycle with a bunch of companies (I reached out to 20 and landed interviews with 18), this job is with a company that actually directly reached out to me! The company is called Quinncia, it’s a career services platform startup. They had heard a lot of good things about the preHIRED program and reached out to me which made me feel great about my decision!

Tell us about your role.

My role is the Director of University Partnerships, a sales role focusing on universities. Most students think they need to focus on graduating before a job, but they could be using their entire college career to get ready. The Quinncia software platform keeps students on track for graduating, focuses on career readiness, removes the stress for the career advisors (who might have as many as 3,000 students to keep track of), and can be tailored to a college’s needs. The software helps with resume building, interview prep, and identifies soft skills and hard skills students might need for their chosen field. It can also refer them to career advisors for extra help, who will have access to the student’s profile in the platform. It’s such a great tool and I’m excited about it.

Will you use the skills you learned at preHIRED in the job or will you need to learn other skills as well?

Most of my skills will be things I learned at preHIRED. A couple of my Quinncia job interview projects were things I had learned at PreHIRED and could immediately submit to them. I’ll probably have to learn how to use some new marketing and task-oriented software, but with the training I’ve had on different technologies, watching demos, and teaching myself, I’m sure I won’t have a problem.

I didn’t realize how much growth software sales would provide me. preHIRED taught me how to be a Sales Development Representative (SDR) or a Business Development Representative (BDR) but I didn’t realize the range of skills I would gain. Not only will I be working with universities and sales, but I’ll also be in charge of email marketing campaigns, growth, and developing their sales processes. I just switched careers in three months and I’m already in a trusted position! They’ll be taking my input to build and grow these processes as it evolves. I don’t think I’ll have the same plateau feeling in three years that I felt as a dental hygienist.

Have you found your previous experience in psychology or dental hygiene has helped you in your new software sales career?

I didn’t realize how much would overlap. Psychology is a clear connection – it’s amazing how much further you can get if you just listen to people instead of talking at them. How are you going to fix the problem and find a good technology fit if you’re not listening, understanding who the customers are, and what’s important to them?

I also didn’t realize how skills from dental hygiene would overlap until interviewers asked for examples of overcoming objections. No one likes going to the dentist, so I had to give people bad news, communicate with facts, and treat them like a human beings. You also have to correct misinterpretations of what people think is going to happen which translates into software sales – if you have a problem diagnosis, you have to be able to explain it, communicate it to others, and sell the solution without them running out the door. It’s funny how much overlapped, but now I’m talking about software instead of teeth!

What has been your biggest challenge or roadblock to entering software sales?

Dental hygiene was going to be my career and I left after only three years. I feel like an imposter switching careers, but I’ve been getting good and positive feedback that has only affirmed my decision. The biggest challenge with the job hunt has been knowing what I want. There are so many opportunities, so I needed to discover what was going to make me happy. I think I’ve found it with Quinncia!

That’s great! Do you plan on staying in touch with students and staff at preHIRED?

It’s like a membership for life. You’re never kicked out of Slack so you can stay in touch with everyone and there’s an alumni channel where you can encourage each other. If I ever need anything, I can always reach out to the preHIRED staff and they will respond within 48 hours.

The preHIRED staff also grow with their alumni. Obviously, the first goal is to get students the basics of software sales and to get them a job. Once you’re into the higher salary range, you’re going to either be killing it as an SDR or you might switch into account management or enterprise roles. Josh is looking into more ways to keep us engaged, learning, and growing.

What advice do you have for others who are considering a career change through an intensive program like preHIRED?

If you’re making a career change, think about why you’re making the change. When you challenge yourself and grow, you need to remember and rely on those reasons. Taking a month out of my busy life was an amazing opportunity and 100% worth it. Making $60,000 to $80,000 in year 1 and $100,000 or more in year 2 onward, as preHIRED talks about, really could be possible.

Don’t forget to ask the program questions during the interview process so you can be sure you’re picking the right program. Especially women! I’m coming from a women-dominated hygiene field to a men-dominated tech field, and I want to see that change. It was so easy and there’s nothing to be afraid of – I’d love to see more women involved! Even though there are more women involved in sales side of tech, rather than the development side, it's still off balance. I feel if more women understood how much fun it is, and how much they can benefit the tech world in sales, coding, or administrative roles they would be more likely to challenge themselves with change. So just think back, look into your future, and know that there are tools like preHIRED available that will give you the outcomes you’re looking for.

Read preHIRED reviews on Course Report and learn more on preHIRED's website.

About The Author

Imogen is a writer and content producer who loves writing about technology and education. Her background is in journalism, writing for newspapers and news websites. She grew up in England, Dubai and New Zealand, and now lives in Brooklyn, NY.

• Why I Chose Software Sales over Software Development with preHIRED

Imogen Crispe1/14/2019

learn-software-sales-prehired-isaiah-ascher

After working for a religious nonprofit after college, Isaiah Ascher wanted to get into tech. He started learning to code, then a friend helped him get a customer services and sales job at an insurance company, where he thrived. But Isaiah wanted to go a step further and get into software sales, so he enrolled in preHIRED’s SaaS sales training program. Isaiah tells us about why he enjoyed the preHIRED curriculum, and how a previous preHIRED grad helped him land his job as a Sales Development Representative at Outreach.io!

Q&A

Tell me about your background before you completed preHIRED’s SaaS sales program.

I had a rough childhood – I bounced between foster homes until I was adopted. I was forced to do things for myself, take care of my siblings, and make sure there was food in the fridge. It was difficult, but it’s made me incredibly driven to succeed.

I was never really looking to get into sales, I just sort of stumbled into it. After high school, I attended Bible college and then worked in digital media for a religious non-profit in San Francisco. I worked on their website, social media strategies, and helped implement new technologies so they could receive donations via credit card.

When I moved home to St. Louis, I used Codecademy and Code School to learn to code and try to get into software development, but it was limiting. There was no way to scale my income if I worked harder or smarter. Then a friend helped me get a customer services job at a call center for insurance company Carshield. Within the first month, I received a raise! After six months, I transferred to a sales role with a base salary plus commission. In my first week in the sales department, I surpassed their deal goal and I felt like it was something I could really do with my life.

Eventually, I was looking for more than consumer sales, so I decided to apply for a job at Square. At this point, an ad for preHIRED came up on my Facebook feed, so I did some research about their SaaS sales training program, and used their free tips to actively sell myself to Square as a salesperson. But I was second for the role, so I went back to preHIRED to learn more about software sales process.

Looking back, how have the skills you learned at Bible college and in web development helped you become a successful software salesperson?

Studying hermeneutics – trying to understand the original intention of a text through a language like Greek or Hebrew – in Bible college was helpful. In software sales, you’re really trying to find and understand the need at the prospect company. I never really correlated it until a couple of months ago. I also passed out tracts on the street which I never thought of as prospecting but it actually was! I would talk with people and collect contact information to follow up with them later – it was an entire sales sequence right there. I didn’t expect to see such a correlation between those life skills and my new career, but it’s exciting to find them.

Regarding web development, someone who is coding is someone who wants to understand how things work. I wanted to understand how a website is built. My adoptive dad is a software engineer, so while he worked on the backend, I would ask him how to make something look beautiful on the front end. From there, I started teaching myself coding languages like HTML, CSS, Python, Ruby on Rails, and more. I like to teach myself things. With software sales, you have to be willing to get things done, though you don’t have to teach yourself.

What was the preHIRED application and interview process like?

After applying on the preHIRED website and taking an assessment, I had an interview with a Growth Partner, Lael, who then spoke with Josh, the founder, and they agreed I could be invited into the program. They are very particular about who they accept, especially since they have a money-back guarantee – they want to make sure that everyone is successful, and that was very cool to me. They are really focused on making sure you’re going to be successful and get a job as soon as you can.

What was the preHIRED curriculum and learning experience like?

The online program is 40 hours long – a lot of people take about two to three weeks to finish (probably a bit longer if you have a job or kids), but I completed it in one week. There are videos and practicums, which can help you learn about platforms like LinkedIn and other specific sales tools. I loved technology so already having that background knowledge helped me significantly.

The program is broken up into modules – I focused on one at a time, went through all the videos, and then completed a practicum to demonstrate what I learned. As an example, after the LinkedIn Module, I had to show that I knew how to use the platform with a photo, a headline, and a flushed out profile, and then the program staff could check it to confirm I actually did the module.

The preHIRED staff check in with you every week to see how it’s going, where you’re at, and whether you’re submitting all the materials for the certification. They also have 1-on-1 mentoring where you can book video calls to practice the sales skills you’re learning and to prepare for interviews. We could also can contact preHIRED staff for assistance via email at any time, and they were very responsive. Because they teach you to use sales tools that notice how quickly someone opens your email, we can see how fast the support staff are opening our emails and responding. It’s pretty cool!

What topics were covered in the PreHIRED modules?

The cool thing about preHIRED is they use job hunting to teach you how to do the job of a Business Development Representative. So you’re doing the work of finding your job in the same way you’ll prospect for a new contract at your future software company. The curriculum focuses on three key categories for sales success: Tools, Skills, and Workflows.. The goal is to help you learn how to prospect, qualify, and connect with hiring managers or a VP of Sales, and how to build an impactful sales system so you’re not wasting your time writing emails over and over again. You learn how to have a meaningful conversation with someone you’ve never spoken with before – which is exactly what you have to do as a job applicant, and as a salesperson.

Because I’m a tech guy, I loved learning and using all the tools. I’ve used CRMs (customer relationship management tools) before, but I used a different CRM at each company and only had basic training. preHIRED covered six categories of sales software I had no idea even existed outside of just CRMs: CRMs, lead generation, lead enrichment, sales automation, productivity tools, and even artificial intelligence. They also teach you soft sales skills like handling rejection. These are basic skills that can benefit anyone entering sales at any point of their life.

Once you got through the learning material, how did the preHIRED team help you prepare for job interviews?

The preHIRED team went over interview questions with me, and I was able to come back with additional questions and scenarios. They help you with interviewing in general as well as specific questions that software companies will ask. Companies can ask some really crazy questions to see who you are as a person and how you’ll interact with the team, so it was good to have that preparation ahead of time.

Were you able to communicate with other preHIRED students during the program?

It’s not exactly a classroom setting, but you’re aware of the other students who are currently doing it or have gone through the program because they have a Slack group where everyone can interact. Alums of the program are interacting with current students, and that’s actually how I got my current job as a Sales Development Representative at Outreach.io.

That’s awesome! Tell us more about how you landed your job at Outreach?

I read an interview on the Course Report blog with Philip Jansen, a Sales Development Representative at Outreach, and I reached out to him through LinkedIn to learn more.

I also listened to a podcast interview with Outreach’s Sales Manager. At the end, the interviewer asked how someone could get in touch if they were interested in working for her – she invited listeners to go to her LinkedIn profile and call her cell phone directly. So I did!

I had already applied to Outreach online and spoken with Philip, so using the preHIRED selling tools I had learned, I was able to have a very natural and friendly conversation with the Sales Manager. She loved the fact that I reached out directly and brought me straight to the final interview. Philip was able to advocate for me in the office and she was also familiar with Josh at preHIRED. She even asked me if there were other students she could hire!

What does Outreach do and what’s your role at a Sales Development Representative?

Outreach is a sales automation tool focused on helping sales teams sell more. They do this by helping sales members prioritize leads, stay informed on new events related to their leads, and stay on top of opportunities. It’s really exciting.

As a Sales Development Representative, I do outbound sales through prospecting, and I try to set up meetings so we can do product demos. Outbound sales is where the marketing department uses email technologies to send me the names of people to cold call or email who may never have reached out to the company, but may be exploring the website or are interested in the product. “Prospecting” means that I am actively going out and talking to people who are interested in getting the product or service.

Why did you decide not to go forward with being a software developer?

I’ve thought about it a lot, but at the end of the day, sales drives business. I just fell in love with sales. I love software sales because I first fell in love with software and how it works. But there are so many successful sales people who came from nothing and are now multimillionaires – I don’t care about having all that money, but I’m determined to create something from nothing and I love going up against the challenge of someone telling me “No, this isn’t going to work.”

What advice do you have for people thinking about making an intensive career change through a program like preHIRED?

Just do it. I understand there are so many things, like family, that can hold you back, but I don’t think about that. I asked myself, “What can I do that’s going to help my family and put me in a financially stable position in 10 or 20 years when my kids are ready to go to college?” That’s why I did preHIRED.

Sometimes, we think we can’t ask for help when we’re teaching ourselves something, but it’s ok to ask for help. Compared to before preHIRED, my base salary is much more and my on-target earnings are going to be much higher. I might have eventually figured things out on my own, but there was so much I didn’t understand. I learned much more quickly through a program with someone teaching me. It wasn’t easy at all and was definitely a challenge, but once you’re done and working, you’ll be much happier.

Find out more and read preHIRED reviews on Course Report. Check out the preHIRED website.

• Switching Careers to Software Sales with preHIRED

Lauren Stewart10/15/2018

Philip Jansen worked in Real Estate and ministry for several years in Nashville; but after the adoption of his son, he wanted to future-proof his career by breaking into the tech industry. Philip chose to switch careers into software sales with the help of online Sales Bootcamp preHIRED. See how the preHIRED job guarantee worked, what he did to land a Sales Development Representative role at Outreach.io, and why Philip believes there’s “a lot of faith and humility involved when switching careers.”

Q&A

What led you to change careers and attend a Sales Bootcamp like preHIRED?

I wanted to do better for my family and our future. I had been in ministry for several years and my income was strapped. I was a staff pastor at our local church and participated in missions work. So I did not generate a ton of income for my family at that time, even though we understood that was part of the sacrifice in the life of ministry.

My wife and I loved working in the church, but when our son came along, things began to change. I switched jobs and worked at a real estate company. I had been involved in Nashville real estate for several years doing fix-and-flips, personal investments, and admin work, so it was an industry I knew very well; I could just show up and get to work. But, I was still not making enough to support my family. I drove for Uber and delivered for Uber Eats four or five nights a week just to make it. I considered doing real estate sales, but I had questions about how the real estate vertical could be impacted by new and emerging technologies like Zillow, Redfin, and OpenDoor. I didn’t have a lot of confidence about building a business in an industry that I believed was due for disruption.

I started thinking, “What’s an industry that’s not going anywhere? What are we becoming more dependent on as a society?” – and the answer is the internet, software, and artificial intelligence! I started my research and pulled the trigger pretty quickly.

A lot of people attend bootcamps to become a web developer – how did you know that you were suited for a software sales career?

I did a lot of introspection, soul-searching, and personality tests to figure out my next steps. I started listening to some new voices via audiobooks and podcasts while I was delivering food. I’m a high communicator – I am the ‘I’ on the DISC profile which is well suited for people in sales. I also don’t type as fast as a developer should type, and I did not want to sit behind a computer coding all day. I was a communications major in college, I enjoy talking with people, I’m good at public speaking, and I’m confident talking on the phone – sales was a no-brainer for me.

Did you research other bootcamps or college courses? Why did you choose preHIRED?

I was researching online about software and software sales when a preHIRED advertisement about making six figures selling software appeared. I’ve taken different webinar classes in the past where you pay a few hundred bucks, and then you turn your knowledge into a stream of income. I know that those types of programs work for me as long as I follow what it tells me to follow – so I enrolled.

What was the application and interview process like for you?

I applied online and then had a phone interview. It was a 30-minute call and after they heard my story, the preHIRED team felt like I was a good candidate for the bootcamp.

PreHIRED is online – did you work with other students during the course?

There’s a launch date where students start at the same time on different courses, but when I took the course, there was no online interaction with other students. If I needed some help from Josh, the Founder and CEO, or other preHIRED staff, I had the opportunity to reach out via email or online chat. But I rarely sought help because the course material was pretty self explanatory.

What was the sales learning experience like at preHIRED — tell me about the curriculum, a typical day and the teaching style?

It’s a fully online course that you work through at your own pace, but I was putting in about 4 hours a day. It involves reading materials, watching videos, and completing assignments. There was no live teaching. The program includes detailed overviews of many of the major CRM software tools such as Salesforce and Hubspot, as well as exciting sales engagement platforms like Outreach. That’s where I was introduced to the potential at Outreach.io.

I was working at the real estate office when I first enrolled in preHIRED, and a few days later, I decided to go all in, so I put in my 2-week notice and started implementing the course material full-time. I had completed it in about 3 weeks.

Was the curriculum project-based? Did you do any real-world Sales projects?

The main project, or goal, of the entire program, is to teach you how to initiate a sales cycle to land a job as an SDR. So preHIRED shows you how to position yourself as an attractive hire, they teach you the major tools that you’re going to be using, and then they focus most of the instruction on how to prospect and follow up with hiring managers. Then it’s up to the student put in the work and trust the process.

How did the PreHIRED job guarantee work for you? When did you start looking for a job?

preHIRED’s job guarantee is tied to your ability to find a job. The whole course is geared toward landing a job with a software company as a Sales Development Representative (SDR). preHIRED teaches you how to use software to prospect into companies to land a job on a company’s sales team. Part of the final project requires you show the skills that you’ve been taught, by showing evidence of your research, interviews, and landing a job in sales – and that’s how you receive your certification.

How did PreHIRED prepare you for that job hunt?

preHIRED prepares you in advance. There’s a lot of content in the curriculum about what to expect in the interview, types of questions you’ll be asked, software languages, and terms you’ll need to know. I had never heard of 95% of the software being used in the course. Yet, when I started getting job interviews, preHIRED helped prepare me with the appropriate sales knowledge and lingo. I was fielding software sales interview requests during my last days of work in the real estate office. Fortunately, I was hired at Outreach about 10 days after my last day on the job.

Tell us about your new sales job at Outreach!

The program worked really well for me. Because I had quit my job in real estate, I was all in, and there was no plan B. I received 3 job offers, and they were all really great opportunities. Based on where the company is heading and their reputation, I held out for an offer from Outreach as a Sales Development Representative (SDR). In short, Outreach is a sales engagement platform that optimizes the reps’ sales process and allows them to power through outreach and follow-up activities at three times the speed.

We essentially solve 3 major pain points sales teams have:

1. We put our clients’ sales processes into a structured series of touch points which takes care of their follow-up process. This ensures that every lead is thoroughly worked, never gets lost, and receives the 5 to 12 touches where 80% of sales happen. Marketing teams love this because we help bridge the gap between marketing and sales.
    2. We do all the administrative work for our clients’ teams within their CRM (Salesforce). This frees up their reps time, logs their activities automatically, and gives clients 100% accurate reporting. Sales teams love this because they no longer have to waste time logging data in the CRM.
    3. Finally, we open up the "Black Box" of sales and show clients in real time how each rep is performing, what activities they're doing, and what is and isn't working. This provides a solid foundation to accurately forecast results, improve outreach, and train clients’ teams. Management teams love this because they can get average reps and new hires performing like seasoned pros.

Two weeks after getting the offer, I moved my family from Nashville to Tampa. The next week, I flew to Seattle for Outreach’s onboarding bootcamp and in my class, I was the first SDR to achieve a sales accepted lead, which is how we gauge our success as SDRs. In my first and second full months, I achieved 300% of my quota. I’m currently in my third month where I’m number two on a team of 11. I’m performing at the same level as very experienced Sales Development Representatives at Outreach. I’ve been very fortunate.

How has the first few months been in the new world of software sales? How does Outreach ensure you’re ramping up and continuing to learn?

I’ve been drinking from a firehose – there’s so much content, all the time. The company is at about 350 employees, but two years ago they were at 70 – it’s a rocket ship. Our onboarding process includes a buddy program, and there’s a specific step-by-step process and four-month ramp to follow. Your quota progressively increases during the four months, so my quota is not a full SDR quota. Although, I actually did hit a full quota last month. Next month, I’ll be a fully ramped-up SDR and expected to hit full quota.

What’s been the biggest challenge or roadblock to switching to software sales?

It’s completely different than anything that I’ve ever done in my entire life. Something Tony Robbins says has been super important for me – “success leaves clues.” Whenever you’re changing careers so drastically, realize that successful people were successful way before we came along. There are tons of successful SDRs, SDR managers, and account executives at Outreach, so if you literally follow what they tell you to do and trust the process, 99% of the time you are going to be successful. People try to reinvent the wheel too frequently. If you need to tweak the process down the road once you feel more comfortable, go for it. You can’t think you’re an expert in a completely new field. I adopted that concept very early on – humility goes a long way when changing careers.

What advice do you have for people making a career change through a bootcamp?

preHIRED is built for you to succeed. Bootcamps are built for career changers. If you’re curious, there are really strong online bootcamp courses to help you be successful. I’ve been successful with other webinar courses in the past, but this preHIRED course is definitely going to yield the most sustainable fruit in my life. And that’s the whole purpose – preHIRED helps you to be successful in a career change. Trust the process, even if it looks like it’s not working out, continue to trust the process. There’s a lot of faith and humility involved when switching careers. If you choose to enroll in a bootcamp – follow the instructions A to Z, and make it happen.

Read more preHIRED reviews on Course Report. Check out the preHIRED website!

About The Author

Lauren is a communications and operations strategist who loves to help others find their idea of success. She is passionate about techonology education, career development, startups, and the arts. Her background includes career/youth development, public affairs, and philanthropy. She is from Richmond, VA and now currently resides in Los Angeles, CA.

• June 2018 Coding Bootcamp Podcast

Imogen Crispe6/29/2018

In the coding bootcamp industry in June 2018 the biggest trend we saw was coding bootcamps funneling grads into apprenticeships! We also saw two big fundraises by bootcamp-adjacent organizations, we heard about some interesting new legislation which could change how online bootcamps operate, and some bootcamp alumni launched exciting new careers. We also look at the effect bootcamps are having on tech industries in areas around the world, which bootcamps are offering scholarships to help women and underrepresented groups launch tech careers, and partnerships bootcamps are forming with big companies like Facebook. Read the blog post or listen to the podcast!

Continue Reading →