pdx-code-guild-logo

PDX Code Guild

Portland

PDX Code Guild

PDX Code Guild is an immersive training program that teaches students to be Python-based Junior Developers in Portland, Oregon. Students learn in small classes through individual projects and group study. Graduates will be proficient in Python, SQL, and the basics of JavaScript, HTML and CSS. PDX Code Guild also offers part-time evening courses!

Recent PDX Code Guild Reviews: Rating 4.6

In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationPortland
    Available through SkillsFund
    Tuition PlansMonthly payment plans available
    ScholarshipSave $500 by paying tuition in full before first day of class.
  • John Broxton • Student

I'll be graduating shortly from the PDX Code Guild Developer Bootcamp and highly recommend it for anyone looking to get into web dev / programming. Unlike some other code schools in Portland, the classes are small and regimented. You'll get a lot of 1-on-1 time and plenty of suggestions on how to network and learn material outside the scope of the curriculum.

I cannot stress this enough: when it comes to learning how to code, your instructor is the key to your success. Every code school hires great programmers, but programming and teaching are two radically different skill sets. Tiffany, the lead instructor at PDX Code Guild, is both. I felt like she was very dedicated to making sure I understood the material and never let a question go unanswered. In our class we had students whose skills ranged from beginner (like myself) to advanced, and she was able to make sure everyone was challenged and learning at a pace appropriate to their knowledge. Fair warning though: if you are a beginner, be prepared for a serious challenge. I'd recommend checking out the curriculum and then trying to learn as much as possible about those languages via books and online tutorials, lynda.com, Treehouse, etc.

Watching online tutorials can only get you so far though. At some point you're going to want to go off-script, so to speak, and when something breaks in your code, you need someone there who can identify issues and quickly troubleshoot them. Often it comes down to a variable in the wrong place, or a line of code that's indented incorrectly, or a missing comma. Working in a group environment with a knowledgeable instructor is the only way to get that experience IMHO.

I also made some great connections with my classmates. With their diverse backgrounds and experience, I learned as much from them as I did from the class.

PDX Code Guild is in a great location. The opening of the Tillikum Bridge has created a new tech corridor from OMSI on the east side to PDX Code Guild, PSU and its award-winning Business Development Accelerator, and OHSU on the west. If you're in Portland, I expect you'll be hearing a lot more about that in the months and years to come.

For me, PDX Code Guild was just the right fit, but don't take my word for it: do your research, visit the other code schools in the area, talk to current and former students and then make the decision that's best for you. Like any relationship, the quality of the experience comes down to finding the right person and being the right person. For my part, I'm totally psyched about all the new tools I have to create cool stuff!

I'm happy to answer questions for anyone thinking about applying, you can find me on Twitter @john_broxton

I had a great experience at PDX Code Guild. I just completed their 4 month Evening FullStack Development Program, which covers Python, Javascript, CSS/HTML, SQL and Django. The program emphasizes quality over quantity of work, so in each section we learned the basics of the technology, completed a small instructor led project, and then completed a custom custom design project, with input and guidance from our instructor. The projects I worked on are as follows:

Python:

SQL:
    A SQL back end for the E-Commerce Project

Python/Django
    Blogging Platform
    Capstone Project (mine was a recipe engine that created a cocktail recipe
    book based on the ingredients you had on hand).

The classes are small (max of 12), so you get a lot of time with your instructor, and they are able to go in depth into software design concepts and design patterns. They also offer advice and career guidance, help you organize your LinkedIn and Github and provide professional headshots.

I worked full time (as many of my classmates did), and the hours were long. There is no homework, but I think that in order to get the best results, one should set aside the 4 month period for learning. I spent many nights and weekends perfecting my projects, and it paid off. I received a job offer the day after class finished from the #1 firm I wanted to work for. I have also been contacted by recruiters in other local tech firms based on the strength of my LinkedIn and portfolio. I accepted the offer, which was more than a 50% raise from my current position. Fair warning, PDX Code Guild advises that it typically takes 3-6 months for a student to find employment after completion, so YMMV. They also advised not to take offers under a certain level (I'll leave it to the Code Guild to provide that information), and the offer I received was over the number they recommended. Over all I am very happy, and would definitely recommend PDX Code Guild.

As with anything in life, what you put in is what you get out. Learning to be a programmer is no exception. I attended PDX Code Guild, worked hard, and now have a job that I love.

Most of my classmates love code guild and still frequently go there for meetups. If you work hard and are honest with yourself on what you need to improve on, you will flourish at code guild. I have seen many people do this: Those that are successful have used programming to augment their passions, interests, or past careers. Those that I have seen fail were more focused on making money, or their heart wasn't in it.

So my advice to anyone on the fence reading this. Go for it. I had been pushing through online tutorials and books for months. This was a great foundation, but when I got to boot camp I was able to take my ability to the next level. There are certain things that the instructors, having worked in the industry, can teach you that books just can't.

One of the best things about PDX Code Guild is the instructors. To whoever is saying the good one left: The idea that one person can make or break a school is just silly. There are plenty of instructors here who are available to help. It is true that each of them have their different strengths. What you learn will be in some way influenced by their specialization. They have all been working in the industry so if they can't answer a specific question for you, they can know someone who help you. This is one of the reasons I chose PDX Code Guild. The instructors have industry experience. Other schools often hire TA's who were graduates of the same school. And they are kind of generalists. I feel very fortunate to have learned from someone who was an excellent JavaScript programmer. I have had much more luck getting work as someone specialized than if I had gone to another school to learn a bit of everything.

Realistically many of you reading this are probably wondering what the post graduate job hunt is like. There is no magic job tree for junior programmers. I got rejected close to 20 times before I even got a phone interview. But if you keep learning and stay persistent it's entirely doable for anyone. Despite getting email rejections alot, I had a job within a week of graduation and significantly increased my income. Coming from a business career definitely helped, but regardless of your background you can earn a livable wage with the skills you start learning here.

tl;dr: If you want to learn programming. Code Guild is a great place to do that. It ended up being one of the best decisions I've made.