pdx-code-guild-logo

PDX Code Guild

Portland

PDX Code Guild

PDX Code Guild is an immersive training program that teaches students to be Python-based Junior Developers in Portland, Oregon. Students learn in small classes through individual projects and group study. Graduates will be proficient in Python, SQL, and the basics of JavaScript, HTML and CSS. PDX Code Guild also offers part-time evening courses!

Recent PDX Code Guild Reviews: Rating 4.5

all (12) reviews for PDX Code Guild →

Recent PDX Code Guild News

• Junior Developer Bootcamp

MySQL, HTML, Python, Django, SQL, CSS
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    Portland
    Monthly payment plans available
    Save $500 by paying tuition in full before first day of class.
    Interview

• Rob P.  User Photo
    Rob P. • Web Hosting Professional • Student Verified via GitHub

I signed up for their free Intro to Programming (Python) evening class and had a great experience with instructor Al B. & assistant Indu. It was a short Tues-Thurs course for 2 weeks (18 hours total) on the basics of Python and feel more confident about my journey for new career skills. The class style is instructor led on a projector, with group coding practice and 2 individual labs per session which are reviewed by the instructors. Classes are uploaded later to youtube for helpful recall. I had a much better experience here than at a paid Epicodus intro class. They also do another free Intro to Front End (html, css, js, jquery, git) 2 week course which I plan to take.

• Travis R VIck  User Photo
    Travis R VIck • NOC Specialist 3 • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After 16 years with a company I was laid off.  Although I had Computer Technical background and strong WAN Technologies background I was struggling to find any Job.  I also had recently made a Career change into software development, but I only had 4 years and never held the title of senior so I was unable to find work in that field either. So, I worked with WorkSource and using the Reboot program and I found PDX Code Guild.  Sheri Dover the Schools President was warm and inviting.  The interview process left me feeling encouraged that I had found a group of like-minded individuals who were on a similar journey.  Although I had read through the program on the website, I came away with a real sense that this program was the best program fo me.  We had a small class of six people to start with and the instructor Andrew Hedges had real world experience giving the class a broader depth to real world uses of everything we learned.  There was a lot of material to cover in 12 weeks, and it was very intense, but the smaller class size gave us many opportunities to work together and if need be a lot of one on one with Andrew.  One of the best parts of the class was not just having recruiters and industry leaders coming in to speak to us weekly, but was the mentoring on how to network outside the guild connecting with local meet ups like Front end PDX or Donut JS.  One of the greatest strengths of PDX Code Guild is there continuation of support while in class with gaining understanding and after you done with the class with give you a space to continue to build your portfolio to help you find jobs.  My greatest take away after the friendships and professional relationships I have built, is being able to put the code guild completion on my resume. In fact, although the Job I am currently working at is not in software coding my experience with the code guild was the deciding factor with getting this Job.  Because of the steep learning curve in the code guild I was able to show that i have the propensity to learn new things and be productive quickly and that gave me the edge I needed to land my current position at XO Communication a Verizon Company.  While they may not have traditional Job assistance where they have Job postings I believe I have gained greater skills in finding and getting a Job then I had before because of the networking skills they provide.

• Jeff L • Graduate

As with anything in life, what you put in is what you get out. Learning to be a programmer is no exception. I attended PDX Code Guild, worked hard, and now have a job that I love.

Most of my classmates love code guild and still frequently go there for meetups. If you work hard and are honest with yourself on what you need to improve on you will flourish at code guild. I have seen many people do this: Those that are successful have used programming to augment their passions, interests, or past careers. Those that I have seen fail were focused on making money, or their heart wasn't in it.

So my advice to anyone reading this. Go for it. I had been struggling through online tutorials and books for months. This was a great foundation, when I got to boot camp I was able to take my ability to the next level. There are certain things that the instructors who had been working in the industry can teach you, that books just can't.

One of the best things about PDX Code Guild is the instructors. To whoever saying the good one left: The idea that one person can make or break a school is just silly. There are plenty of instructors here who are available to help. It is true that each of them have different strengths. What you learn will be in some way influenced by their specialization. They have all been working in the industry so if they can't answer a specific question for you, they can refer you to someone who can. This is one of the reasons I chose PDX Code Guild. The instructors have industry experience. Other schools often hire TA's who were graduates of the same school. And they are kind of generalists. I feel very fortunate to have learned from someone who was an excellent JavaScript programmer. I have had much more luck getting work as someone specialized than if I had gone to another school to learn a bit of everything.

Realistically many of you reading this are probably wondering what the post graduate job hunt is like. There is no magic job tree for junior programmers. I got rejected close to 20 times before I even got a phone interview. But if you keep learning and stay persistent it's entirely doable for anyone.  I had a job within a week of graduation and significantly increased my income. This was coming from a business career which definitely helped, but regardless of your background you can earn a livable wage with the skills you start learning here.

As for Job Assistance. There's no official placement program or internships, but here's why that's a great thing: The instructors work in the industry. They are not just TA's who are graduates themselves. They have industry connections with companies and recruiters. If you prove yourself to them by working hard and doing the extra credit they introduce you to recruiters and companies. You will have no problem finding a job within a couple of months from graduation. The key is, you have to put the work in, nothing is handed to you. But that's true with everything life.

tl;dr: If you want to learn programming. Code Guild is a great place to do that. It ended up being one of the best decisions I've made.

• Jeffery Bentley • Student

I just receently graduated from PDXCode Guild after taking the Intro to Python course in May and then the 12 week Full Stack Devops class. I want to say that it was the most rewarding thing that I have done in a long time and it was also the hardest thing I have ever done because coding is not a trivial task. That is why you go to this school. Everyone there that I met talked a lot about that. Everyone was also very supportive and positive. My instructor had years of coding experience and knows Javascript especially well. I was very glad that I took the Intro to Python course first because I really wanted to know if I could hack it. It is an accelerated bootcamp so yes you are moving at a fast pace. I recommend taking an Intro class to see if you can handle that. Because I finished that I felt confident enough to take the 12 week course. I learned so much. I would never have made as much progress as I have or got as much done or so much support, encouragement, instruction plus meaningful curriculum as I did without this school. The CEO is also a great person to work with and she wants you to succeed as badly as you do. Class sizes are small. The environment is great. I was in the lower building which I love. I had 4 people in my class plus a couple TA's to assist. We had several guest speakers come in which was enlightening also. We were pointed to good tools to learn with. All things that are important when you are first starting out. It was a great experience.

• Important Note
    - 3/25/2016

The instructor mentioned by so many of the positive reviews below, who was the new head instructor who crafted the "more structured curriculum" left PDXCodeGuild recently.

She quit due to disagrements on what is owed to students. She felt that students deserved better and was burnt out on fighting management to achieve that.

I want to write as honest a review I can about my experience.  For anonymity, I will say that I finished the class in 2015.

Positives:  Class size is small. For me it was 8 people. During my time there, average class size hovered around 8-12 students. This makes interactive instruction possible, and really allows you to get to know your classmates well.

The school is licensed by the State of Oregon. This means that you may qualify for job retraining grants and other state and federal funding sources. You do need to research this, however. Code Guild staff may help you identify sources of funding, but it's up to you to do the legwork if you want to avoid paying full price. Being licensed is also for peace of mind: if for whatever reason the school closes, chances are good that you can get your money back.

After 12 weeks, you will learn all the basics of computer programming and full-stack web development.

Negatives: The quality of your education is determined by your instructor. Look at other reviews and it's apparent who you want to be teaching you. Whether or not you will be taught by this person is based on scheduling and luck. My class was taught by a first-time instructor who really knew Python and the backend of things. Javascript and frontend, not so much. In fact, our Javascript education consisted of two weeks of online tutorials and asking your neighbor for help. Not so much value for money there. I have heard from other students about instructors who showed signs of burn-out and disinterest. My personal experience with my instructor was that, about three weeks away from the end of term, he began interviewing for industry positions and "checked out" for a bit. Fortunately, this coincided with the personal capstone project time, so not a lot of instruction was scheduled for this portion anyway.

There is also the chance that you will be taught by an instructor who themselves just graduated from the PDX Code Guild. At this point in time (Feb 2016), there are recent graduates of the bootcamp teaching classes. While I personally know these instructors and can attest to their intelligence and overall competence at programming, I think it's something to be aware of. You can certainly learn the basics from them, but you will miss out on advanced concepts or years of industry experience. Of course, you are welcome to disagree with me.

Neutral observations: Like any code school, you will hear all the success stories, and not hear about the not-so-successful ones.  You will be told how you can come with zero experience and leave as a qualified junior software engineer. However, it should not come as a surprise that some of these successful folks may already have a computer or other STEM backgrounds. A recent superstar from the last graduating class had a math degree, for example, and other students had previous careers in software testing or frontend web development. Some already had exposure or training in other languages such as MATLAB, PERL, PHP, or C++.

If you're coming into this program with absolutely zero experience, you may be frustrated at having to learn absolutely everything from the ground up, while some of your classmates seem to know everything already. I had exactly one semester of computer science training about ten years ago and there were a couple of moments where I felt absolutely lost in this class.

After graduation, it's not uncommon for students to take up to 6 months to review the course material, build up a portfolio, network, attend meetups, learn more specific frameworks and languages based on their interests and intended area of specialization, and then finally be hired.

Summary: Code Guild will teach you all the basics. Being job-ready largely depends on your prior background and your willingness to take more time off following graduation to really hone your skills. Remember, you are competing against graduates of other code schools, and more are graduating every 12 weeks or so. Be aware of who your instructor is and what his or her background is prior to enrolling in the class.

• It just depends
    - 12/18/2015
    Anonymous • web developer

To be fair I've been told that our class was the worst one is this program's history.  I loved my classmates but we had a horrible instructor who was fired with three weeks left in the course.  Our instruction was uneven at best and negligent at worst.  We had a curriculum that was often glossed over or ignored completely by our instructor.  Our instructor knew close to nothing about CSS, HTML, JavaScript or SQL but taught all topics.

Having said all of this I know that there have been much stronger classes with better instruction and there is now a head instructor who has created a more structured curriculum.

• Attila Farkas • Graduate

I'm a recent graduate of the 12-week Developer Bootcamp offered by PDX Code Guild, and I am very happy with the education I got here. I started the course with intermediate Python knowledge, and I picked up all other components needed for web development pretty much from scratch. Our instructor, Tiffany, did a superb job in covering a very wide array of subjects needed in every day development work, and equipped all of us in the class with the necessary tools to get a job and further develop our skills. Tiffany was very accessible throughout the course, and she was super dedicated to helping us absorb as much knowledge as possible.

To illustrate the well-roundedness of the education we got in this course, here is the list of the major topics that were covered: Python, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Django, PostGreSQL, git, MVC design paradigm, database design, test-driven-development, paired programming, code reviewing, Scrum, development using an IDE, and project management. We also got hands-on practice with using AJAX to interface with a public API, team collaboration using git repositories, live deployment of a Django website on Heroku, and using node.js. The course was fast-paced, but the small class size allowed us to get individual help from Tiffany as needed. The final project was to design a Django-based website to showcase our knowledge of the full stack. WIth this educational background I feel well prepared to be able to perfom the duties of a software (web) developer.

The school also provided substantial assistance for our future job search, including networking opportunities, resume preparation, and job interviewing practice. With this assistance I think I am also well positioned to find a job.

In summary, PDX Code Guild did an excellent job in preparing me to get started in a software engineering position. I think the value I got from attending this bootcamp was fantastic.

• Summer • Student

My review, I feel, may fall short of the incredible opportunity I had to learn with PDX Code Guild's recent instructor, Tiffany Ralph.  The course work and curriculum were top notch and wonderfully indept of the syllabus we covered.

• John Broxton • Student

I'll be graduating shortly from the PDX Code Guild Developer Bootcamp and highly recommend it for anyone looking to get into web dev / programming. Unlike some other code schools in Portland, the classes are small and regimented. You'll get a lot of 1-on-1 time and plenty of suggestions on how to network and learn material outside the scope of the curriculum.

I cannot stress this enough: when it comes to learning how to code, your instructor is the key to your success. Every code school hires great programmers, but programming and teaching are two radically different skill sets. Tiffany, the lead instructor at PDX Code Guild, is both. I felt like she was very dedicated to making sure I understood the material and never let a question go unanswered. In our class we had students whose skills ranged from beginner (like myself) to advanced, and she was able to make sure everyone was challenged and learning at a pace appropriate to their knowledge. Fair warning though: if you are a beginner, be prepared for a serious challenge. I'd recommend checking out the curriculum and then trying to learn as much as possible about those languages via books and online tutorials, lynda.com, Treehouse, etc.

Watching online tutorials can only get you so far though. At some point you're going to want to go off-script, so to speak, and when something breaks in your code, you need someone there who can identify issues and quickly troubleshoot them. Often it comes down to a variable in the wrong place, or a line of code that's indented incorrectly, or a missing comma. Working in a group environment with a knowledgeable instructor is the only way to get that experience IMHO.

I also made some great connections with my classmates. With their diverse backgrounds and experience, I learned as much from them as I did from the class.

PDX Code Guild is in a great location. The opening of the Tillikum Bridge has created a new tech corridor from OMSI on the east side to PDX Code Guild, PSU and its award-winning Business Development Accelerator, and OHSU on the west. If you're in Portland, I expect you'll be hearing a lot more about that in the months and years to come.

For me, PDX Code Guild was just the right fit, but don't take my word for it: do your research, visit the other code schools in the area, talk to current and former students and then make the decision that's best for you. Like any relationship, the quality of the experience comes down to finding the right person and being the right person. For my part, I'm totally psyched about all the new tools I have to create cool stuff!

I'm happy to answer questions for anyone thinking about applying, you can find me on Twitter @john_broxton

I had a great experience at PDX Code Guild. I just completed their 4 month Evening FullStack Development Program, which covers Python, Javascript, CSS/HTML, SQL and Django. The program emphasizes quality over quantity of work, so in each section we learned the basics of the technology, completed a small instructor led project, and then completed a custom custom design project, with input and guidance from our instructor. The projects I worked on are as follows:

Python: Todo list/Task Manager Weather Forecast App using forecast.io Mini HTTP Server

HTML/CSS A personal portfolio website

Javascript: Yahtzee Game E-Commerce Front end using AJAX to query product info

SQL: A SQL back end for the E-Commerce Project

Python/Django Blogging Platform Capstone Project (mine was a recipe engine that created a cocktail recipe book based on the ingredients you had on hand).

The classes are small (max of 12), so you get a lot of time with your instructor, and they are able to go in depth into software design concepts and design patterns. They also offer advice and career guidance, help you organize your LinkedIn and Github and provide professional headshots.

I worked full time (as many of my classmates did), and the hours were long. There is no homework, but I think that in order to get the best results, one should set aside the 4 month period for learning. I spent many nights and weekends perfecting my projects, and it paid off. I received a job offer the day after class finished from the #1 firm I wanted to work for. I have also been contacted by recruiters in other local tech firms based on the strength of my LinkedIn and portfolio. I accepted the offer, which was more than a 50% raise from my current position. Fair warning, PDX Code Guild advises that it typically takes 3-6 months for a student to find employment after completion, so YMMV. They also advised not to take offers under a certain level (I'll leave it to the Code Guild to provide that information), and the offer I received was over the number they recommended. Over all I am very happy, and would definitely recommend PDX Code Guild.

Most of my classmates love code guild and still frequently go there for meetups. If you work hard and are honest with yourself on what you need to improve on, you will flourish at code guild. I have seen many people do this: Those that are successful have used programming to augment their passions, interests, or past careers. Those that I have seen fail were more focused on making money, or their heart wasn't in it.

So my advice to anyone on the fence reading this. Go for it. I had been pushing through online tutorials and books for months. This was a great foundation, but when I got to boot camp I was able to take my ability to the next level. There are certain things that the instructors, having worked in the industry, can teach you that books just can't.

One of the best things about PDX Code Guild is the instructors. To whoever is saying the good one left: The idea that one person can make or break a school is just silly. There are plenty of instructors here who are available to help. It is true that each of them have their different strengths. What you learn will be in some way influenced by their specialization. They have all been working in the industry so if they can't answer a specific question for you, they can know someone who help you. This is one of the reasons I chose PDX Code Guild. The instructors have industry experience. Other schools often hire TA's who were graduates of the same school. And they are kind of generalists. I feel very fortunate to have learned from someone who was an excellent JavaScript programmer. I have had much more luck getting work as someone specialized than if I had gone to another school to learn a bit of everything.

Realistically many of you reading this are probably wondering what the post graduate job hunt is like. There is no magic job tree for junior programmers. I got rejected close to 20 times before I even got a phone interview. But if you keep learning and stay persistent it's entirely doable for anyone. Despite getting email rejections alot, I had a job within a week of graduation and significantly increased my income. Coming from a business career definitely helped, but regardless of your background you can earn a livable wage with the skills you start learning here.