Microsoft Research Data Science Summer School
Microsoft Research Data Science Summer School, or DS3, is an eight week, intensive summer program meant as an introduction to data science for prospective graduate students in the New York City area. The program is intended for upper level undergraduates or graduating seniors, and seeks to increase diversity in the data science market. The school is taught by scientists from Microsoft Research. Students will be broken up into small groups to work on one of two data science projects over the course of the program. Laptops and a $5000 stipend are provided.
Recent Microsoft Research Data Science Summer School News
- Data Science
In PersonFull Time25 Hours/week7 Weeks
This introduction to data science will cover tools and techniques for acquiring, cleaning, and utilizing real-world data for research purposes. In contrast to traditional course work, where one is often handed a prepackaged dataset obtained by a third party and prepared for a specific exercise, research projects often involve not only cleaning and preparing "messy" data, but often also acquiring that data oneself (e.g., through an API). The initial phase of these projects involves a good deal of exploratory analysis to gain a preliminary understanding of the dataset. Students will be introduced to scripting (on the command line and with Python and R) for these purposes, and will gain direct experience in acquiring and modeling data from online sources. The course also serves as an introduction to problems in applied statistics and machine learning. We will cover the theory behind simple but effective methods for supervised and unsupervised learning. Emphasis will be on formulating real-world modeling and prediction tasks as optimization problems and comparing methods in terms of practical efficacy and scalability. Students will learn to fit and evaluate such models, with applications including spam filtering and recommendation systems.
- Start Date
- None scheduled
- Class size
- New York City
- Refund / Guarantee
- $5000 stipend and laptop provided
- Minimum Skill Level
- Familiarity with computer programming and/or statistics is helpful.
- Placement Test
0 reviews sorted by:
- Only Applicants, Students, and Graduates are permitted to leave reviews on Course Report.
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
Click here to log in or sign up and continue.