codify-academy-logo

Codify Academy

Hybrid (Online & In-person), New York City, San Francisco

Codify Academy

Codify Academy is a part-time front end development bootcamp in San Francisco. It is a 16-week course, over weekends, featuring a combination of classroom learning and projects that carry over outside of class. The program is designed for people with no prior programming experience.  Students will collaborate with other students and instructors and build up their personal portfolio over the course of the program. Codify Academy's course covers HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and related tools. They also offer a Job Placement program

Recent Codify Academy Reviews: Rating 4.44

all (74) reviews for Codify Academy →

Recent Codify Academy News

• Front End Development

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Front End
    LocationSan Francisco, Hybrid (Online & In-person)
    In 16 weeks, we're going to transform you into a fully fledged front end developer with a great portfolio, no matter your starting point. You'll be able to manipulate websites and online tools like a pro. We'll also help you find a job in your prefered sector when you're finished with the course.

• $500 Codify Academy Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Codify Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!

Offer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship.

• Front End Development (San Francisco)

• Codify Academy
    - 2/22/2018
    Rich  User Photo
    Rich • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My experience was overall good. I really had to fight to get hired in the bay area especially since I had no previous experience. I know Codify is fairly new and there are some issues that should be addressed like, an equal amount of great instructors(They have a few awesome teachers) and more help with job placement. I choose Codify because it is one of the less-expensive coding schools in the bay area and true you can learn on your own for free, Codify definitely give me the tools and support to land a job.

• BPPE
    - 6/5/2019
    Louis Camacho • Applicant

Codify Academy is a programming boot camp started by the Brody Brothers , one of whom had to flee the state of New York for the same fraudulent activities they engage in the Bay Area. They are currently under a $25,000 fine by the Bureau of post-secondary Education to cease and desist all their business activities for operating an institution without State approval. Yes, the Brody brothers are very  personable but they also pilfer their educational materials from the  public domain and training for the most part consists in  watching YouTube videos. Beware these folks, enroll at your own risk but do yourself a favor and check them out under the Bureau of Post Secondary Education website.

• Waste of money
    - 8/1/2018
    I.S.

Codify provides students with in insufficient material to completely prepare students for a full time developer role. The curriculum never touches on data structures or any algorithms which many junior developer roles require knowledge of and test during technical interviews. The weekly projects given are also too simple and aren't great projects to add to an online portfolio to impress recruiters. Many of the mentors/TA's there have little to no experience as a full time developer. There were many times during my classes where the lead mentor would have to google simple css/js questions asked by students. The job support is also mostly moral as you will not find many connections with real developers through Codify. They suggest using a template to create your online portfolio when you should have enough skills at the end of a bootcamp to code one from scratch. I realized while in the program that most of the students who attended the program were many months removed and still without full time developer positions.

• Nathan L. • Graduate

In a nutshell: great front-end bootcamp if you have personal responsibility and commit to doing the work and studying & learning from the coursework.

This is a part-time course (1 day a week for 3hrs in class, the rest at home), teaching you the fundamentals of front-end web development, including HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Bootstrap, Vue.js and more. You will come away armed with the experience, tools and knowledge to build functional, responsive modern websites and a complete portfolio of projects to show off to employers.

The mentors are friendly, very helpful and want to help you succeed. Additionally, the team works to ensure the material being taught is up-to-date, with new videos & guides constantly being created.

• A Real Review
    - 10/11/2017
    Joshua • Front-End Developer • Graduate

Background: Before joining the bootcamp, I had experience in creating basic websites with HTML and CSS. I took this course hoping that I would learn JavaScript as I failed to understand it via self-study.

Codify Academy (CA) is a 16-week part time coding bootcamp. They focus on teaching front-end development (HTML, CSS, and JavaScript) and is a cheaper option among the many coding bootcamps available. CA's classes are part hands on and mostly self learning. Basically, how much work and time you put in is what you will get out of this bootcamp, which is essential no matter which bootcamp you take. I recommend learning the basics of HTML/CSS/JavaScript via Codecademy or some other free online course to see if this is something that you are actually intreseted in. Programming can be fun and exciting but at the same time really really frustrating, and if you are not ready for the struggle that comes with learning to code you may have a disappointing experience.

The curriculum is fast paced, especially since it is a part-time course. 4 weeks HTML and CSS, 1 week Bootstrap (CSS Framework), 1 week jQuery (JavaScript Library), 8 weeks JavaScript, and 1 week Angular (JavaScript Framework). The last week is job prep and graduation. From most of the other classes that I have seen a lot of people stop doing the homework or just stop coming in general. This did not happen in my class so it's a case by case basis. I think the reason for this is not being prepared for how much work and time you will have to put in on your own.

The teachers (mentors) are for the most part pretty good. Most of them are previous students who have graduated and some of them have previously or are still working as professional developers. With saying that, the information that is taught in general, is going to be the same no matter who is teaching. The only difference between the mentors is their teaching style.

Job placement is lower than I expected compared to what was stated when signing up but a lot of that again is mostly due to the effort of the individual student. The front-end development market is very very competative and it's going to take a lot of grit to keep pushing until you get a job. The awesome thing about that is once you finally get a job... You're in!

I applied to about 25 different places. Most of them didn't reply, a few sent denial emails based off lack of real world experience and received one response that led to an interview. I didn't get the job unforetunately though sometimes previous Codify graduates who have been hired ask Codify for a few students that would fit a role at there company. This was my situation, I had an interview and received a job as a front-end developer at Streamlabs.

TLDR: Codify is a great Front-end development bootcamp for the price. If you want to learn more you will have to pay triple the amount of Codify's cost for a different bootcamp. With Codify you will come out able to start thinking like a programmer but only after you put in the time and effort to get there. Mentors are great and are almost always available to help. If you need a career change Codify is an exellent chocie!

• Bill Hoang • Graduate

I saw Codify Academy's ad on Facebook and I called the number then scheduled an appointment. I interviewed with Matt and was touched by how down to Earth he is. I felt from the moment I spoke with Matt that these guys were genuinely out to help people step into a new world of coding.

When I signed up and started Codify I thought I was just going to get some Mentors that just teaches me how to code but I was wrong. Codify offered me a lot more then just that, the Academy offered me a "NETWORK" of people to help me out in anyway I needed.

I remember I went to one of the open office hours and I was having a hard time with the pre-work. I didn't know what HTML tags were, didn't know how CSS worked, Codify gave me a insight of what programming can do. I had sat down with Chris, not only did he helped me out but he also had a personal conversation with me about life. I still remember the conversation like it was yesterday.

I was in Isaac's class, he had the ability to include students that felt left out in class. He always had a smile on his face no matter how tough the situation. One of the best traits about Isaac was that he had the ability to draw in his students and make them want to engage in class activities.

In conclusion Codify Academy has taught me a lot of things about life and about coding. Codify has a huge network of support for its students. It doesn't matter if you graduated this year, couple years ago, or just getting started, Codify always welcome everyone with open arms. Codify will forever hold a pace in my heart no matter where I go and end up at. I have met a lot of amazing people there and will continue on to do so.

If you're hesitate to sign up, don't be. I would say see Codify for yourself, you can read all the reviews and draw up SOMEONE ELSE EXPERINCE but you won't really know how you'd feel about it unless you try it out for yourself. I was really nervous and skeptical myself but in the end I'm glad I took that step forward and went to Codify Academy. I encourage who ever is reading this to give it a try.

• I'm a developer!
    - 7/27/2017
    Andy Nguyen • Graduate

Codify Academy is an amazing coding bootcamp. You will learn a lot about Front End development and how to get from point A to point B in just a few months.

Their Front End program is really straight forward, simple, easy to learn, and great mentors.

I definitely recommend codify academy for anyone who wants to get into the coding industry. You will learn a lot and be able to absorb different type of languages.

When I first started out I was really rusty with html and css but I didn't give up. After the 4th month, I started to realize that I am coding like a real developer like I've been doing it for years.

-Andy

• Tiffany • UI/UX Engineer • Graduate

My dive into development was tough to say the least. Like a lot of beginners I struggled with self teaching and was deterred by my lack of a computer science degree. Words couldn't describe my relief at finding Codify Academy, they offered the structure and discipline I was missing and put me on track to becoming the developer/designer I am today. Like many other San Franciscans I lacked the resources and ability to enroll myself in a FT bootcamp in the city. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I wanted to be a front end developer but at the time there was no bootcamp that offered exactly what I needed; Until I found Codify Academy. Their part time program and guaranteed financing are what brought me to where I am today.

I was lucky enough to have Brian Jenney as my instructor and he was fantastic. It was great to be taught by someone who had been exactly where I was, he understood the struggle of becoming a developer from the ground up (without the aid of a computer science background) and he was able to break down concepts for us in a truly digestible way. Were there a lot of drop outs in my class? ABSOLUTELY. We went from a class of 15 or so to maybe 3 or 4 people at the end. But that is a testament to the incredible challenge becoming a developer is and not to the integrity of the program. Coding is hard as hell! If anyone could it, everyone would. The curriculum they offer isn't necessarily about originality or a revolutionary way to learn code, that's just silly, they offer the necessary structure it takes to utilize online resources. And that's what being a developer is all about, knowing how to take the infinite amount of knowledge available on the web and applying it to your own stack.

It's tough from start to finish but you absolutely get out of it what you put in. I started my journey with Codify in October 2016, graduated February 2017, moved to New York City March 2017, and thanks to the skills I took away from Codify Academy, was employed by the fist Week of April '17. I now work as a UI/UX Engineer in Manhattan and couldn't describe how excited I am for the future of my career - all thanks to the amazing program that the Brody brothers put together. 10/10 would suggest.

- 7/25/2017
    Rita • Student and Mentor • Graduate

I absolutely loved my journey with Codify and it helped me reach my goal. I started Codify as a Student and loved it so much that I decided to become a Student Mentor after my course ended.
    We got a lot of cool projects to work on , which helped me gain hands on experience and I could showcase all these awesome projects in my portfolio. The classes are very interactive and a lot of fun! Just within a week after my course ended, I had three offer letters. They gave me proper guidance to crack the interviews and also helped me choose the job.
    The best part about Codify is that you keep connected even after your course gets over. It's like you become a part of the Codify family. They have so many workshops and 'magic hours' open for current and alumni students which helps one stay updated with the latest technologies and brush up ones coding skills.
    I would highly recommend Codify to anyone who's wanting to learn how to code and want to make a career in Front end Development.

• Alexandra • Student

I’ve entered the program without any coding background. I've always been interested in this but, I had no idea where to start. One day my friend told me: “You should try Front-End, it’s in demand and it’s fun and interesting”.  I saw Codify ad on Facebook and called them right away. 16 exciting weeks of learning - and I graduated! I’ve learned basic skills that are essential in becoming a web developer. They teach you how to learn on your own, because coding is a none-stop learning process and you have to continue your learning after the graduation. If you think you are losing motivation to continue, all the mentors are very helpful and always there to inspire and motivate. It takes a lot of dedication, and be ready to sacrifice all of your free time. Hard work pays off! I’m glad I’ve chosen Codify and would definitely recommend it to anyone who has an interest in that area, and someone, who’s looking for a change. Thanks to Mat, Sam and Chris, you are great!

• Billy F • Web Developer • Graduate

Codify Academy is a great place to start learning web development with no prior knowledge or experience. Before enrolling as a student I had some programming experience through college and a little knowledge of JavaScript but wasn't sure how to apply any of these skills. Codify helped with putting my foot in the door and introducing me to tools that I could learn plus add to my skillset. The first day jumpstarts you right into building your first web page and the classes thereafter guide you along for how to style your page, add functionality, and use best practices. I guarantee if you put the time and the effort into following the class materials, building the projects that are assigned, and dedicating 10-15 hours a week to learning and practicing on your own, you will not only be proficient in front end development but gain a better understanding of how the web works, a problem solving mindset, and the most efficient way of how to go about building web pages and web applications for a variety of projects. Also, if you are ever stuck on something or have a hard time grapsing a certain concept, reach out to any of the mentors, TA's or former students. They will gladly help you with whatever problem you need to solve, question you have, or guide you along the best path for your project.

• It was Awesome!
    - 7/8/2017
    George Franco • Graduate

I just finished this course and the experience has been fantastic. Before I joined Codify I researched different bootcamps and I needed a school that was flexible to my work schedule and Codify delivered. I was offered all the tools needed to succeed. Everything we need is made available to us and me having absolutely no prior coding experience before, to now I feel a whole lot more confident of my abilities and have a plethora of projects finished and my portfolio that is looking very snazzy! I am amazed of what is possible now and it is all thanks to Codify Academy!

• David Campos • Front End Developer • Graduate

Matt has built an incredible company with his brothers, and his ability to teach others (in a positive and engaging fashion) is wonderfully infectious- he gets the best out of his students. Towards the end of our coding Bootcamp, Matt was our career counselor mentor and provided us with invaluable game plans to ensure our job hunt success after the program. Codify Academy feels more like a family than anything else and that’s a testament to the owners’ visions. I would highly recommend Matt, Codify Academy and any project that Matt is affiliated with!

I worked hard every single day, constantly pushed my limits on projects, built a portfolio of 10 websites/apps and had interviews by week 14. Life Changing Experience at the Best Bootcamp Price in San Francisco. What are you waiting for?

• Kristina Traeger • Web Application Developer • Graduate

First of all, I am not getting paid from Codify to do Sales or Marketing. I do work with them on talking to prospects & grads, answering questions, sharing my story! I went through their program and got hired within a month after, for $80k a year, by a company called Blue Rocket, in SF, with no prior coding experience. My developer journey has ever since been absolutely amazing! Last week i was a speaker at a tech conference, sharing what i had build using node.js and IBM Watson. A SPEAKER! ME! 1.5 years after i had started Codify. Absolutely friggin' awesome!!!

I would also like to point out that Codify also offers a full refund if you don't get hired within 6 months and you went to the hiring events and followed their advice on resume building, interview questions etc. So it all depends on how much work you put into!! They do strongly advice to not take any unpaid dev jobs or internships. Your first job will be the hardest one to get and a lot of grads just give up. That's why i am here, helping build a community, that inspires and supports prospects & grads!

Why do i care so much? Because Codify (and the staff!!) has enabled me to live a life that i have always wanted, right when it was literally the worst. I was broke (making that immigrant minimum wage woo!), super unhappy, no jobs in sight with my ops focused job experience, with very little money left in the bank.

I met Sam (one of the founders, used to be an insurance broker) in my co living place (i used to live with 60 tech people all making $$$ while building cool stuff-- i was very envious lol), when he attended one of our "tech talks" where we would discuss what everyone in the house was working on. He brought along a whole class (!!) of current students that wanted to get involved. I got the chance to talk to them, which has lead me to apply on the website the next day. I went to the in person meeting, and met Matt (his other brother, used to work as dispatcher) only to be told that they have another brother, Chris (used to be a waiter) who also founded the company. I loved it!! I felt like they KNOW how frustrated life can be when you don't love what you do but you feel like you're trapped in your life path bc you can't afford to get out of it.

So i signed up! I was super duper excited, finally I'm getting out of my hamster wheel!!... until about 2 days after. My bf ran into a guy during a hiring event and he claimed CA would be a scam. My heart broke, of course. I reached back out to Sam, wanting to drop out of the course (remember, i was broke, i literally put my last money into it). He knew exactly who i was talking about and shared the full story. Aha. A computer scientist. He dropped out. Of course he wouldn't like the program! Codify is the opposite of a school. No theory (or very little), just building. It feels more like private teacher + therapist + hiring marathons. I spend so many late nights at the office that they would order me food so i would still be healthy, lol. I mean, who does that?! I wanted to quit so many times. The "getting hired" part seemed just impossible. but the mentors (incl. founders) were there for me, no matter how late at night or how many panic attacks i experienced.

I will be forever grateful! Codify is a small school, so if i can help get the word out there by sharing my story over and over again, then so be it.

• Richard • Web Developer • Student

This review might take 5 minutes of your time but will definitely save you thousands of dollars and a shitty experience.

If you still have doubts and concerns after reading this review, feel free to contact me for a chat.

I started just like you. I was searching for a bootcamp to make a transition in my career and met with lots of different bootcamps, one of them being Codify Academy, so I had an initial meeting with Sam Brody, one of the three co-founders. At your first meeting, you will recognize a pattern at this bootcamp and especially in Sam. He’s a salesman. He will sugar-coat every word that comes out of his mouth, all so that you decide to put your valuable and hard-working money and time at their bootcamp… but don’t fall for this. The value and impact you get from this bootcamp are very minimal if any at all.

Codify Academy, aka CA, advertises its bootcamp as a 16-week part-time program, in which you will become proficient at Web Development (HTML, CSS, and JavaScript), therefore, being good enough to get a related job in the industry. NOT TRUE AT ALL. Most CA graduates that finish the bootcamp are nothing close to ready to get a Web Developer job. I say most of the graduates because the drop out rate is outstandingly high –over 70%. That is 7 out of 10 people who start the program don’t finish it because they don’t see value in it. How do I know this? I had first-hand experience because the drop-out rate in my class was well over 70%. Similarly, when talking to students from other classes they mentioned they experienced a similar drop-out rate. So, I hope you’re smart and don’t fall into this trap.

Having said that, this bootcamp has lots of loopholes that they say they are “trying to fix” such as inexperienced instructors, weak course material (their book is a copy/paste from W3Schools, for real…), weak jobs program (they tell you to copy a template resume and make it yours, use a template cover letter and use it as-is, and copy a template website portfolio from the internet while you’re supposed to create an original since you’re already a developer and can do all of this by yourself, especially the website portfolio part). Do yourself a favor and don’t drop thousands of dollars to be their guinea pig. If you plan to do this, I’m down for a chat and teach you what they teach for one-tenths of their tuition. Their classes are much like hangouts, in which the lead mentor (as Codify Academy likes to call main instructors) provides a set of exercises to warm up for 30-45 minutes, then you are on your own for the remaining 2 hours. Ask yourself if that’s what you would like to pay thousand of dollars for. In all honesty, if I were to do it again, I would try to stay far away from Codify. To be objective, less than 20 graduates out of 160+ got a job within 6 months of graduation. That’s less than 15%…

Codify Academy’s misleading advertisements mentions that its bootcamp have “industry experienced lead mentors” teaching their classes. NOT TRUE AT ALL EITHER. Experienced instructors were the main reason I joined Codify, but ended up disappointed when I found out CA recent students were teaching these courses. Most courses are taught by CA recent students, most of them don’t have industry experience. Nothing wrong with this, but if you’re serious about your education and career, and value your time and money, don’t sign up for this bootcamp. What you learn is little, if anything. The reason CA students teach these courses are because they say they can’t afford industry experienced instructors. CA targets vulnerable low-income people looking for a quick way to make big money, so Codify advertises and promises heaven, but when you get there you see the reality of what they offer: dirt. To be honest, Sam Brody knows about this and mentioned it during one of our meetings. The founders are in this for the short-term, for the money and their main goal is to get more students (students = money), but rarely to improve their course materials and projects. This is the reason they don’t invest in hiring experienced instructors (they say it’s too expensive and don’t have the money) because filling up their pockets is more important than your time, education and career.

In conclusion, I would highly suggest you stay as far away as possible from this bootcamp or program if you are looking to break into the web development field since you will be better off buying affordable courses from Udemy; searching, reading and learning from Google resources and articles; learning from W3Schools; going to web development meet-ups; doing FreeCodeCamp; signing up to Treehouse or Udacity's nanodegrees; or simply reading books and watching YouTube web development videos to improve your web dev skills. Seriously, I highly suggest you stay as far away as possible from Codify Academy and a shitty experience.

PS: I was in your position a few months ago. I read every single internet review about Codify Academy, its legitimacy, and still gave them an opportunity to prove me wrong, but ended up disappointed as many of you will feel by the middle or end of the program if you decide to join. If you truly value your time, money, education and career, you should consider investing it more wisely somewhere else.

This is the review I wish I had read while researching and considering joining a bootcamp, especially Codify Academy.

• Frank • Graduate

To start, I am a grad and I was just hired for my first web developer job!!!

I'm super pumped to get started and can't thank the codify team enough. Everyone put in so much time with me I felt like part of a family.

Here's basically how the course works:

1. You prep for class by watching videos and reading (I'd recommend coding a bit too).

2. You attend class and learn to use what you just studied in real world applications. If you don't prep, it's hard to follow along, a mistake I made once.

3. You start applying for jobs when you feel ready, this could be week 1 or week 16, it's up to you. But the mentors will push you to apply earlier which I would recommend now that I've gone through the hiring process. They're not kidding when they say the sooner you apply the sooner you'll get hired.

4. They help you put together your portfolio, resume, cover letter, and all your online stuff (linkedin, github, codepen, etc.).

5. Then you start applying. If you don't get interviews they help figure out why. Once you start getting interviews, they help with interview prep. For me, they helped me with phone interviewing and in person interviewing both technical and not technical. If you're really worried about the interview process I know other students who paid for other professional help which worked well for them too. They basically doubled down on the professional interview help. If you have the money, why not right?

6. You get hired and celebrate like me!!!

That list looks easy but like anything worthwhile, it's definitely hard. Don't expect to just pick up JavaScript like learning a different skill. You need to put in at least 10 hours a week. If you don't you'll fall behind. I know students who didn't put in the time for whatever reason, and they're still attending office hours to try and catch up after graduation. It's great that codify offers that and I applaud them for that. But we all have 10 hours a week to do this, you just need to do it.

If you read this and end up going to codify you've made the right choice :)

• The push I needed
    - 6/25/2017
    D.R. • front end engineer • Graduate

I have a lot of friends who are web developers. Some of them graduated from other boot camps and others taught themselves. One of them went to codify and told me all about their program.

I have a family and couldn't afford any other boot camp. I needed to work to pay rent, which is why i went with codify. I'm so happy i did. I work as a developer now making almost 3 times what I made at my last job.

From what I gather, most boot camps can help you get hired if you put the work in, you just have to find the right one for you. If you work full time, then codify is your best option. They're serious when they say their course never ends. Matt's helping me get my second developer job right now, and I'm aiming for 6 figures!

The codify team is great and if you put in the work you're going to get hired!

• Armin • software engineer • Graduate

Finally got around to doing one of these, sorry it took so long Brody brothers

To start, I just want to say thank you for creating this amazing experience. I tried learning on my own and know that I could never have done it without the support of you guys and all the mentors!

I took this course after I lost my high paying job and had to settle for a sales job that I did not like in the least.

I was really hesitant like most of my classmates because it seems like it's too good to be true. But it actually is. I was hired and so were the classmates that I stayed in contact with.

That's not to say that by signing up for this course everyone will get hired. On the contrary, signing up is just the first step in a long race or marathon as the mentors like to remind us.

It all comes down to how much time you are willing to put in and how much fun your willing to sacrifice for the sake of getting a high paying job/career.

I've gone through and read some of the bad reviews, and know that it has to do with a lack of effort on their part. If you're going to sign up, take it seriously. You are paying thousands of dollars, so why skip class or not do the projects?

If you are serious about changing your life like I did, ignore the slackers and schedule a call with them or check out their open house events.

• Adam D • Student

Codify Academy, also known as CA, claims to be a “Part Time Program that Teaches You How to Become a Front End Developer in 16 Weeks”. But half-way through my time at the program, 6 out 12 of my classmates had dropped out due to the bad experience they were having. By the end of the course, only 4 of the 12 students remained.

With two weeks left to finish the course I decided to withdraw after they offered me and my classmate a “job” as UNPAID TA’s for their incoming classes. I had 2 issues with this.

1. This seems to imply that they do not value their own graduates worth if they do not feel the need to pay them.

2. The quality of of their mentors and TA’s. If I accepted the position, I could have been your TA with no computer science degree and zero teaching experience. My coding skills may be enough for a internship or junior web development job, but there’s no way I have any business teaching in a class room.

CA deleted me from their program's Slack (community messaging board) and threatened to sue me for punitive damages if I shared this review with my fellow classmates.  In 7 days I went from being a star student being asked to work for them, to CA threatening to sue me. Many other students have had tried voicing their concerns on Slack about the legitimacy of the program. In response they made us all sign contracts in hopes to silence us.

Be wary when reading other posted reviews. Many of them are from CA staff members. One of the most widely used review and testimonial works for CA’s sales and marketing.

The instructors (or mentors, as CA calls them) are former students and not the “experienced industry mentors” as advertised. Most don’t have Computer Science degrees and have never held jobs at tech companies. The mentors in my class were just former CA students from less than a year ago who, apparently, couldn’t get hired anywhere else after their graduation from the academy. Though they were unfit to be a lead mentor they were fantastic group of friendly guys.

Each class was supposed to have 3 mentors, but my class had only 2, if both showed up. Classsates brought their concerns to the founders and were told another mentor would be added, but that promise went unfulfilled.

During a meeting with one of the founders, he said CA couldn’t afford quality instructors because they target low-income students and paying a qualified instructor would raise costs.

They know their own book is a bad resource. In fact, page one of CA’s book states that W3Schools (a free online resource) is a better resource of knowledge. There is one chapter in CA’s book for each week of the academy, so 16 chapters for 16 weeks. But some pages consist of just a few sentences of text and a generic stock photo to fill up space.

Many times the book just states the method without any explanation of its use or how it works. It doesn’t even show the result of the method. For that, you are referred to page numbers in John Duckett’s book (another outside resource). A mentor disclosed to me that the book was worthless and that they are going to discontinue the use of it and keep everything online.

The YouTube videos intended to go with each chapter are just as incomplete. Some videos are as short as 7 minutes for a whole week’s worth of material.

I quickly realized that I had to supplement all of the academy’s teaching materials with outside resources if I wanted to learn anything.

CA makes a lot of too-good-to-be-true statements about the job assistance they provide graduates and the jobs graduates will get. They weren’t able to answer me when I asked if just ONE graduate had gotten a job in the last two months. There’s about a couple dozen that appear to have gotten jobs. That however is out of the hundreds who had joined is CA and the 150 who completed it. Ask CA to prove that 100+ of their graduates have relevant jobs in the field. You won’t get any because their job placement rates are exaggerated and manipulated.

It’s hard to compare CA’s cost with other bootcamps like Hack Reactor, General Assembly, Dev Bootcamp, etc., because those bootcamps are approved institutions with the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education. Codify Academy is NOT an approved institution.

I awarded one extra star because CA does offer 24-month payment plans and only $300 down to start. Plus, many of my classmates were able to negotiate their tuition down.

The best part of the program is their convenient location downtown. It’s a short walk from the Montgomery St. Station. Getting into CA is a bit of a hassle. You have to check in with security in the lobby and then you have to contact someone from CA to come down to get you to let you in the elevator. Usually this takes less than 5 minutes but on occasion it can take longer.

CA has two tiny sales and marketing offices on the 15th floor. There’s no dedicated spot for CA students to study. A common area with tables and chairs is shared with the other dozen businesses on the floor. Classes take place on various floors throughout the building, which CA rents out by the hour.

Friday, Jul 07 2017
    We've just been reading your review and we want to let you know that we still feel that you are a superstar student! We know that somewhere between starting and success something happened that caused you to lose faith in our system, anytime this happens we all feel mortified that either through our actions or the actions of the staff that work here someone will not fulfill their dream of becoming a creator.

Just in case anyone reads this who is thinking about hiring you or researching you online, we want to list out some of the awesome accomplishments you had while you were here, because you worked diligently and that should be recognized.

You always came in with a friendly smiling personality, which is difficult to do as taking 16 weeks to intensely learn a new skill can wear on anybody.
    When you started bringing in freelance clients for yourself and Richard (while you were still students), we were more than happy to open up our space to you guys. We were incredibly impressed that you were able to go out and start your own business from scratch.
    We loved watching you take the time out of your day to help other students who were not as advanced as you. Which is why we were hoping you would help out as a TA.

I know you were not able to start the jobs program because of the withdrawal but we really do believe in your potential, we would be more than happy to sit down with you one on one again and plot out a course where you could start the jobs program and get hired.

I have pasted the Grit Guarantee below so you can see that as long as you complete a set number of items and are still not hired in 6 months you get a full refund.

Otherwise please feel free to call us at 415-530-1557.

GRIT GUARANTEE. This Contract will terminate automatically upon completion by Codify Academy of the Services required by this Contract. Students that have not been hired within 6 months after the 16th week of technical training are entitled to a full refund provided they have completed the requirements outlined in student graduation criteria.

STUDENT GRADUATION CRITERIA. The following is required and expected of the student:
    Complete 100% of pre-work before coming to first class
    Read and/or code for a minimum of 20 hours per week
    Complete one project per week
    Post each completed project to Facebook via Codepen
    Pull and Push to Github at least once a day (starting week 3)
    Create a Portfolio - complete portfolio checklist by week 12 in order to graduate and receive certificate
    Post 6 projects into that portfolio by week 12
    Attend at least 14 of the 16 in-person classes - can't miss 2 in a row
    developer profile (portfolio and linkedIn) completed and approved @ week 12
    Company Intro Files (resume and cover letter) reviewed and completed @ week 12
    Track applications on excel sheet @ 20 applications per week starting 13
    Attend 12 Interview Preparation sessions (at least 1 biweekly)
  • Mike • front end developer • Student

My friend recommended this course to me. He told me all about it and it seemed like something I could do too.

He was hired just 2 months after completing the course, so I had high hopes.

It was definitely difficult, I must have studied at least 20 hours every week. But it paid off in the end, I got hired before the class even ended.

There are some things you need to know before signing up though. It's perfect for someone who's working full-time if you're willing to put the time in. When they tell you 10-15 hours of practice a week, they're not kidding. So expect to work really hard. If you don't have that much time, you should stick to online learning.

The mentors are great. They pushed us to be so much better than we thought we could. Big shout out to Chris for all the help he gave me personally!

They offer open office hours where you can go in and work 6 days a week. Take advantage of this as much as you can.

The course was completely hands on, which was great because that's the best way I learn.

There are a lot of other boot camps out there and you should definitely shop around. But something about these guys was different than the rest, so be sure to put them on your list of boot camps to check out.

- 4/11/2017
    Sean Gurson • Graduate

Codify Academy is an excellent part-time front-end web development course. I learned many of the most important concepts of web dev including HTML, CSS, Javascript, Git, and Angular. The mentors are excellent and experienced and the projects you work on are challenging but applicable to what you have learned. You can go in to have your questions answered during the weekdays or by reaching out to the mentors. I would recommend this course, especially if you are a hard worker and determined to learn about front-end web development.

• Todd • Graduate

Codify academy provided the atmosphere I needed having zero experience in the field prior to attending. The decision to take this leap was daunting for me, and Codify provided the support, knowledge, and environment that allowed me to see that my goals were more than achievable. The mentors are there for you whether it's in class or when not in class. They make sure that you get the help and support you need to learn the foundations of Front End development.

• angel • clerk • Applicant

They are not professional. They let you start without the appropiate information prior your start. They leave you in the air for few days.

Horrible communication with them.

I dont recommend them. You can find the same course cheaper somewhere else with real proffesional people.

This is my experience.

Friday, Jul 07 2017
    I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience signing up with us. Our intention is to make the transition into the class as smooth as possible so you can focus on learning and not worry about anything else.

Please let me know how we can make this right, my cell is (925) 876-3287.

Matt Brody
  • glen • professional • Applicant

They said that will refund me my money in a month. Obviously the want to make interest out of my money.

There is no company that I am aware of that take a month to give you YOUR money.

This definetely shows the kind of company that it is.

I would not trust them.

Dear Glen,

All of our contracts allow for a 30 day refund and we stop charging as soon as you declare that you're dropping out of the course. You should not have been charged again and should definitely not have been charged additional interest. If you were, please reach out to me about it as soon as you can, (925) 876-3287.

Matt Brody
  • Review
    - 12/16/2016
    Manu • Front End Developer

I was a part of the Codify Academy program for 16 week course. Chris was my mentor. This 16 week journey was amazing. I got to learn so much from the mentor as well as the peers. They have a well drafted course. Each and every element of the course is instrumental in today'd job roles. As this is a weekend only course, so you will have to put in a lot of HARD WORK yourself in learning the new language or new framework. The best part is, that these guys are extremely flexible with any kind of assistance that you may want. You could also visit them during office hours for the week days to have your dounts cleared. The mentors are super swift in replying to your Emails. Although there is no Job Assistance program but they surely will help you in building your profile, resume, Cover letter, Linked In profile etc.