avocademy-logo

Avocademy

Avocademy

Avocademy’s core program is an 8-week UX/UI Foundations course. Each expert-curated lesson in the curriculum builds on the previous content, helping students gain the knowledge and skill required to land a Junior UX/UI Designer job in a relatively short time frame. The UX/UI Foundations lessons consist of video and reading material. After learning key concepts and best practices, students test their knowledge by completing activities rooted in real-world UX/UI deliverables. Throughout the 8-week course, students complete an entire UX/UI project from research to high-fidelity prototyping and testing.

Students receive unlimited one-on-one mentorship each week to gather feedback on their project work and to ensure they have a strong understanding of the course material.

Recent Avocademy Reviews: Rating 4.9

all (118) reviews for Avocademy →

Recent Avocademy News

• Career Jumpstart

Design
    OnlinePart Time72 Weeks
    Through the career jumpstart program students complete real world client projects while collaborating with other designers. The team of mentors and career coaches help students finish their portfolios, refine their resumes, and go through the job application process. While also connecting students directly with hiring manager and recruitment partners to speed up the job search process. This program Includes unlimited mentor support (1-1 zoom calls and slack access) as well as weekly guest speaker sessions from designers from top companies. The program runs until you get a job or up to 12 months.
    Multiple Payment Options (up-front and at-graduation + financing through Affirm)
    $5000 up-front
    $5500 at-graduation
    7% of first years salary
    Refund / GuaranteeIf you complete all program requirements and don't get an offer, you don't pay!
    Prep WorkUX/UI Foundations Course
  • UX/UI Design Foundations

User Experience Design
    OnlinePart Time8 Weeks
    The curriculum covers design thinking, how to conduct research, information architecture, design, and ideation. Students will also learn wireframing, design systems, style guides, high fidelity mockups, prototyping, and testing. Avocademy students will build one end-to-end case study for their portfolio. There are a total of 90 hours of content, and students are expected to commit approximately 15 hours per week to the course.
    Lending partners available, including Affirm.
    Tuition PlansInstallment plans of three, six, twelve, and eighteen payments are also available.
  • Jesse DuFresne  User Photo
    Jesse DuFresne • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had a great experience at Avocademy, learning about UI/UX design and research methods. I chose this course because it was online, self-paced, well structured, and super flexible. Going through entire UX design/research process was great experience. Throughout the course I worked on a capstone project that let me put those skills into action. I was able to design and prototype an iPad application that serves as a public domain sheet music library. In addition to this, having a great mentor throughout the course was awesome. Maca was extremely flexible, understanding, and knowledgeable. Overall, I am glad that I took this course to further my skills in UI/UX design and research.
  • Kevin Hanst  User Photo
    Kevin Hanst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    For my little experience as a designer, working with Maca was extremely helpful in learning the basic principles of UX/UI Design and having her by my side every step of the way was very reassuring. This program allowed me to get right into practicing these design principles and create a project from beginning to end while also developing my first portfolio. It was a great first step into becoming a full-fledged designer that was both affordable and flexible to work with.
  • Haley Kirk  User Photo
    Haley Kirk • UX Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was looking for something flexible enough for my schedule but where I would still get a deep understanding of topics. Maca’s mentoring sessions made me accountable and she always tailored them specifically to what I needed more help with.
  • Hana • UX Designer • Graduate
    I joined Career Jumpstart in February 2022, began applying to jobs on June 9th, and signed a job offer on June 30th.

I can't express enough gratitude for this program. The real-life experience that this program affords you is vital for actually landing a job. There are tons of interesting projects to work on and many skilled mentors that will ensure you deliver quality products. Case-in-point: the company that ultimately hired me was won over by the high-quality portfolio that Avocademy helped me produce. The position I applied for required 3-4 years of experience but they hired me because of my growth potential, despite only working in the field for 6 months. This is not an unusual experience for Avocademy students. Follow all of their advice and instructions and you'll be golden. The two weaknesses I experienced when I started this program have now been addressed, so I can't think of a reason why not to do this program.

STRENGTHES
    + Flexibility - most students are also working full-time.
    + Mentorship - you are never alone. Every step of your project is reviewed by mentors, and often the founder herself to ensure that you are on the right track. Mentors are kind, knowledgeable, and helpful.
    + Real-life clients - you also get to choose what projects you want to be a part of.
    + Community - despite being completely virtual, I felt great camaraderie with my fellow students because of the daily zoom calls for job hunters and the supportive Slack community. The job application process can be incredibly lonely, draining, and discouraging.
    + Responsiveness - Avocademy is always willing to listen to its students and dedicated to improving its courses based on student feedback. Every day they are researching industry trends, updating content, and trying to find new ways to support us.

WEAKNESSES (***which have now all been addressed as of June 2022!!!)
    - Technical training - when I began CJ, there wasn't any content created in-house for building your technical skills (such as with Figma). This wasn't a huge problem for me as I found tons of other free resources on YouTube, but not all students took the initiative and struggled with some of their projects. My understanding is that Avocademy has since remedied this issue, and created several videos in addition to masterclass courses to help students hone their design, research, and project management skills.
    - Screening of students - As Avocademy strives to be inclusive, their initial application/screening process for students was very lax. As a result, I encountered some students at CJ that were not as serious or motivated as the rest of us. Sometimes life happens and we aren't able to keep up with all of our commitments, but at a base level, to be successful in the UX field, attention to detail, the ability to learn on your own, and collaboration skills are absolutely critical. Avocademy now has a more intensive application process for its CJ program, but it is inevitable that you may encounter classmates who are difficult to work with. This is arguably a good learning experience as well.

• Bre Trejos • Student
    Amazing amazing amazing. There is always an opportunity for open discussion regarding the assignment either with a mentor or other students. Ive never taken a course like this before and was worried I would have any guidance but that's just not the case!! I would and do recommend this course!
  • Review
    - 6/29/2022
    Morgan Hunter • Student • Student
    Avocademy is a UX/UI course that teaches you the foundations and helps you start your career.
  • UX/UI Foundations
    - 6/27/2022
    Maitri • Student
    My job was weighing down on my mental health, and I needed a change. I consider myself creative, empathetic, a problem solver, and a visual learner. After searching for the right career and deciding I wanted to enter the design field, the challenge was to find the right school. I landed on avocademy and gave it a chance. Avocademy's foundation course helped me set foot in the design world and opened endless opportunities for me. I learned all the technical, and soft skills required to become a UX/UI designer and applied them when working on my project throughout the course. I am glad I took the chance because I genuinely feel I found my passion and enjoy working too. The mentor's feedback on the project, resume, portfolio, guidance at every step, and networking are some of the main pros. Although, sometimes it took longer than usual to receive feedback.
  • UX
    - 6/27/2022
    Jimmy • Student
    I’m so grateful for Avocademy because I was able to learn everything I needed to become a UX designer. Also the price of the boot camp is the best there is compared to all the other boot camps.
  • Keabreone Boyd • UI/UX Designer • Graduate
    When I got an email from Google that they were offering a Bootcamp on UI/UX Design, I became fascinated. I signed up for BootCamp for $39 a month to learn a new profession in technology. It piqued my interest. It was difficult to follow from the get-go, but what was I expecting for $39 a month? As a result of pulling in information about UI/UX, I got more advertisements for it than a basketball player with open DM's. Avocademy was the one I noticed while browsing Tik Tok. The fun tik toks they make caught my attention due to my love of social media, not to mention the opportunity to speak with someone directly. My enrollment came after a few days of soul-searching and an email offering a payment plan directly through Avocademy. What a shock. Although I was overwhelmed not knowing what to expect, I have to give the mentors credit for holding my hand throughout the whole process. They helped me realize that they were committed to my success. Even though wireframes almost broke me, I now understood what they were, so it wasn't that bad. Let's not kid ourselves, every day wasn't sunshine and rainbows. There were times when I felt like I was in the midst of a storm, but eventually, I saw the rainbow. Since I've seen great results with Avocademy, I would highly recommend them to break into the tech field. I am currently working with clients. To better build our portfolio, they find real-life clients for us to work with. Having this experience has been really beneficial to me, and I can't wait to begin the interviewing process. I'll make an update, but I can't tell you how good this experience has been! It's been way too much to put on paper!
  • Angelika Lagera • UX Designer I • Graduate
     If you're thinking about transitioning into UX Design and really getting to know what it's like to work on projects within the industry, Career Jumpstart is for you! I chose Avocademy because of their affordability for my situation. You work on real projects with other companies and start-ups with other team members- it helped me get a really good idea of how I work with others and what a design process looks like in live time. The mentorship we receive is one of the biggest pluses of joining the program. Getting help from interview prep, portfolio presentation, or even just general questions I may have, I know that my mentors will be able to provide that support! Avocademy has a wonderful community and everyone is always uplifting each other. I know that I can reach out to someone or express my uncertainties and have someone immediately bring me back up and push me forward. As we all come from unconventional design backgrounds- if you're thinking about changing, do it! I landed my first UX job because of the support I was given at Avocademy and it's made me realize that UX is a great fit for me.
  • Kathryn H.
    I spent a few weeks researching UX/UI bootcamps - reading lots and lots of reviews and comparing costs, curriculum, support, etc. - before making my decision to join Avocademy. While the realistic price tag was a major sway in my decision, I feel like I still got the $15k experience.

The course is designed so you create a mobile app from concept to prototype; an end-to-end design. The course layout walks you through the process step by step and makes it very simple to complete each task. There is a ton of explanation, especially in the beginning, which includes internal tutorial videos, as well as articles and other videos on related topics to help solidify the information. The mentors provided helpful feedback and were readily available. While I do wish there was a little less reading within the curriculum and a little more video explanation, I never felt lost or lacking direction with where to go or what needed to be done.

One thing, in retrospect, that I really appreciate was that we completed our case study along the way, rather than waiting until our project was complete then going back to put it all together. Having the guidance and support for that part (the most important part that goes in your portfolio and helps you land a job!) was truly invaluable. My expectations were exceeded with Avocademy and I 100% recommend the UX/UI Foundations Bootcamp!
    - 6/25/2022
    Nina • Graduate
    When I started looking for a career change in 2021, I found UX/UI Design and thought it would be a good fit for me. After researching tons of online courses and even colleges, I decided Avocademy seemed like something I could try for the price, and find out if it was really a good career direction for me.
    What really attracted me was the unlimited mentorship, which I utilized during the foundations program. I sometimes met with mentors 3x a week when I needed help with the course work.
    What ended up loving most was the community that Avocademy creates. Having peers moving through life in a similar situation is grounding, and keeps you moving forward.

I'm really proud of the progress I've made in just a few months. I'm currently in their Career Jumpstart program getting ready to apply for jobs.