avocademy-logo

Avocademy

Avocademy

Avocademy is a 6-week UX Design bootcamp. There are a total of 90 hours of content, and students are expected to commit approximately 15 hours per week to the course. The curriculum covers design thinking, how to conduct research, information architecture, design, and ideation. Students will also learn wireframing, design systems, style guides, high fidelity mockups, prototyping, and testing. Avocademy students will build one end-to-end case study for their portfolio.

Students receive unlimited mentoring and flexible scheduling with Maca, the bootcamp’s Creative Director. Maca has been a UX/UI designer for 8 years, and has 3 years of experience mentoring and helping students transition into the UX field.

Avocademy students can either pay their tuition upfront or choose an installment plan consisting of three or six payments.

Recent Avocademy Reviews: Rating 4.87

all (24) reviews for Avocademy →

Recent Avocademy News

• Career Jumpstart

Design
    OnlinePart Time72 Weeks
    Through the career jumpstart program students complete real world client projects while collaborating with other designers. The team of mentors and career coaches help students finish their portfolios, refine their resumes, and go through the job application process. While also connecting students directly with hiring manager and recruitment partners to speed up the job search process. This program Includes unlimited mentor support (1-1 zoom calls and slack access) as well as weekly guest speaker sessions from designers from top companies. The program runs until you get a Job (or up to 12 months)
    7% of first years salary if you get a Job.
    Prep WorkFoundations Course

Tuition PlansInstallment plans of 3, 6, or 12 months
  • UX/UI Design Foundations

User Experience Design
    OnlinePart Time6 Weeks
    The curriculum covers design thinking, how to conduct research, information architecture, design, and ideation. Students will also learn wireframing, design systems, style guides, high fidelity mockups, prototyping, and testing. Avocademy students will build one end-to-end case study for their portfolio. There are a total of 90 hours of content, and students are expected to commit approximately 15 hours per week to the course.
    Lending partners available, including Affirm.
    Tuition PlansInstallment plans of three, six, twelve payments are also available.
  • UI UX Designer
    - 5/26/2021
    Amber Minefee  User Photo
    Amber Minefee • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Maca is literally the best that there is. The course work is so in depth and she is so thorough in her approach to helping students. There's always availability to be mentored and She even helps with Job placement and building your portfolio. If you have any doubts about which course to sign up for, please don't hesitate any longer because Avocademy is it.
  • Sarah  User Photo
    Sarah • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    For me, Avocademy was worth the time, sweat, and frustration. You must be willing to put in the time, be willing to sweat through some long hours of designing, and deal with the frustration that problem solving can create. I am not going to try to convince you to choose this bootcamp over the hundreds of other courses out there. Only you know your learning style and if you would thrive in a self-paced environment.
    I needed the self-paced environment. As a firefighter, I work hours that are nothing like a 9-5. I was not able to commit to being in class on certain days and times. I was used to working on my own. My entire graduate school program was self-paced and online (but with deadlines/due dates).

The experience:
    • Flexible- There are no specific login times. This means you will have to set aside time to get your work done. There are time estimates of how long different activities will take you to complete. Sometimes you will finish quickly and other times you may have to schedule a mentor session and go to bed unable to figure something out (do not worry, you will figure it out in the morning). I found that I usually figured it out once a mentor would get back to me. Remember, there is no micromanaging,
    • Mentorship- Maca is an awesome, knowledgeable, and kind mentor/instructor. You can tell that she has a passion for what she does, and she has the experience to back it up. She runs herself until she is exhausted and does not receive enough gratitude.
      • I will say at times it feels like your creativity is being stifled. You must remember that you are creating for the user, not yourself.
    • Cost
      • The idea of spending $7k-$15k for a bootcamp was not appealing to me. I still have student loans from my undergrad and grad school. Why add more debt?
      • (2) There are more and more bootcamps popping up that are a similar cost to Avocademy. If you notice these, read about them, and research them. They tend to offer more customizable, more personal, and more budget friendly options. They are often started by experienced designers who are fed up with the high cost of other bootcamps. Do not discount something just because of the cost. Decide between being in a cohort of 30-40 versus 5-15. Do your research.
    • Slack- I was able to connect with some of my classmates and collaborate on projects. It is always good to know that you have someone to give your project a second look before you turn it in, to give you a quick tip, or just to talk to. Also, you were able to view other classmates projects to give you a place to start on your own project.
    • Curriculum- There are a lot of links to articles for you to read. Sometimes there are videos Maca has recorded. I found this part to be the only downside to self-paced vs live in-class. I wish some of the topics could have been better explained to me. On the flip side, it caused me to have to research certain topics to learn. Research skills are crucial.
    • Speakers- There are semi-weekly speakers that come in and talk about their UX/UI experience. These were both helpful and motivating. UX/UI is not a one path journey. These speakers seriously forged their own paths and are willing to answer questions about the process.
    • “Real World” Projects & Clients- Most applications require 2-5 portfolio pieces. Luckily there are opportunities to work on extra projects once the initial bootcamp is over. This gives you the opportunity to lead a project or gain experience working in a group. Take advantage of these when you are able to and especially if the topic interests you.

Overall, if you are looking for a high quality, flexible, and affordable UX/UI design course, consider Avocademy.
  • Karmen  User Photo
    Karmen • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I don't regret any bit of time, money and effort that went into the Avocademy bootcamp course. Previous to signing up for Avocademy, I really thought I'd try the self-taught right and that was honestly extremely hard to hold myself accountable and I wasn't sure of where to really start building my knowledge. Avocademy really helped me learn the design process and build my first case study for my portfolio piece by piece and have plenty of other opportunities to further build my portfolio. And also what is key to Avocademy is the mentorship that is available. Having someone by your side to help guide you and answer your questions during dedicated 1:1 sessions is great. I never felt rushed through those sessions. Maca always took the time to make sure I was ready for the next step. And on top of it all, Avocademy is AFFORDABLE. Spending $10k on a full-time immersive bootcamp did not appeal to me. I already have a solid professional background built from being in marketing - I just needed a push and some guidance to pivot into UX/UI and I feel pretty prepared for the next chapter.
  • Meagan Londa  User Photo
    Meagan Londa • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall, I am so happy I chose to take this course! I had been wanting to get into design for a while. I had looked into several other options before choosing this one, but they were pretty expensive and some were full time. I loved how flexible this was and having Maca and other mentors really made it even better. From day 1 you really jump right into creating a capstone project for your portfolio.  Avocademy really afforded me the flexibility I needed at a great cost. The mentoring sessions with Maca each week really helped to make sure what I was doing was on the right track and feedback that was provided was helpful and professional.
    Another great thing about this class is the Slack channel that was created, so it is easy to reach out and get help, but to also connect with other people who are going through the program. There were also webinars set up with different industry professionals throughout the course as well which was awesome to get some insight into the different careers and what companies look for when hiring. One last thing that this class does right is there are outside opportunities to continue practicing the skills we learned in the course. They are real world opportunities to help boost our skills and the portfolio. Would Absolutely recommend this class to people looking to get into UI/UX design!
  • UX/UI Design
    - 3/17/2021
    Amanie Ataiwi  User Photo
    Amanie Ataiwi • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Avocademy is a great course for learning about UX/UI design. I previously had no experience in this field and in as little as 6-8 weeks you are prepped with all the tools needed to embark on a new career. Maca's one-on-one tutoring sessions were very helpful and the flexibility of the course allows you to complete it at your own time. Not to mention the price was very affordable comparing to competitors!
  • Kathy  User Photo
    Kathy • UX Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I chose to enroll in Maca's course because I was really unmotivated and couldn't find a job despite applying for a couple months. Now, I'm really glad I made that decision! Her course is pretty affordable compared to other bootcamps, and she helped me realize that I definitely had the skills to become a UX designer, I just needed to present it better. The course itself was very informational and thorough, and by the time I was finished I felt a lot more confident about my resume and portfolio.

I do believe that this course's strengths lies in Maca's mentoring. You can tell that she really cares about the students and wants you to succeed. Maca offers really great advice every step of the way. It's specific, reasonable, and actionable. You'll know what you need to do to improve your portfolio and why. Not only is this a great course for people interested in UX, but it's also a good option for those who have UX skills and need a little push.
  • Jesse DuFresne  User Photo
    Jesse DuFresne • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had a great experience at Avocademy, learning about UI/UX design and research methods. I chose this course because it was online, self-paced, well structured, and super flexible. Going through entire UX design/research process was great experience. Throughout the course I worked on a capstone project that let me put those skills into action. I was able to design and prototype an iPad application that serves as a public domain sheet music library. In addition to this, having a great mentor throughout the course was awesome. Maca was extremely flexible, understanding, and knowledgeable. Overall, I am glad that I took this course to further my skills in UI/UX design and research.
  • Kevin Hanst  User Photo
    Kevin Hanst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    For my little experience as a designer, working with Maca was extremely helpful in learning the basic principles of UX/UI Design and having her by my side every step of the way was very reassuring. This program allowed me to get right into practicing these design principles and create a project from beginning to end while also developing my first portfolio. It was a great first step into becoming a full-fledged designer that was both affordable and flexible to work with.
  • Haley Kirk  User Photo
    Haley Kirk • UX Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was looking for something flexible enough for my schedule but where I would still get a deep understanding of topics. Maca’s mentoring sessions made me accountable and she always tailored them specifically to what I needed more help with.
  • Mara Rosenstock • UX Designer • Applicant
    Maca and the entire Avocademy team were extremely helpful and supportive throughout my career change to UX design!

When attempting to transition from marketing to user experience after completing a UX design course, I struggled to hear back from any of the jobs I applied to which felt very defeating.

Through Avocademy’s job search program, I learned how to emphasize the right info on my resume, ensure I showcased my best work on my portfolio, and present the right content from my portfolio during job interviews. I was also able to receive mentorship and advice from people who have years of experience in a variety of industries which helped me understand what a real UX job could look like.

Through The Guac Group, I got the opportunity to work with other UX Designers to build a website for a cookie company that needed an effective way for users to purchase products nation-wide. This experience was invaluable since I got to speak to real-life examples on how I made a positive impact on companies through UX design.

Both my experience during the job search program and at The Guac Group made me stand out among applicants and receive more favorable responses throughout my application process, which helped increase my confidence as a beginner in the UX field and eventually land a full-time job as a UX Designer.
  • Benny (Yabin) Sun • Student
    Before I found Avocademy, I had already been learning UX on my own for almost a year. I wasn't a complete newbie when I started with Avocademy, but I felt that I still didn't know a lot even after a year of learning.

Avocademy is perfect for so many reasons,

1. All the mentors are so attentive. They answered all my questions very promptly over Slack; all the video sessions over Zoom were greatly beneficial. Avocademy mentors really make you feel that they're always there for you, and they truly do want you to succeed - I love and am impressed with how the founder Maca was able to create and implement this kind of company culture across the board. When I studied with other platforms/schools, I felt that a lot of their mentors just wanted to get their job done, but they really didn't care about you;

2. All the lessons are so clearly structured, making it super easy for me to follow along. No "beating around the bush," absolutely straightforward and to the point;

3. It is SUPER affordable!!!

Overall, I have learned so so much with Avocademy. By the end of the course, I was a lot more confident and knew exactly what I needed to do being a UX designer and what else to work on from there on out. I am very grateful for Avocademy and all the lovely mentors. And now, I am more ready than ever to take on my new career as a UX designer.