uc-san-diego-extension-boot-camps-logo

UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps

San Diego

UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps

UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time web development courses, and a 24-week, part-time data science and cybersecurity courses at the University City Center in San Diego. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Java, jQuery, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git. The data science curriculum includes programming in Excel, fundamental statistics, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau and more. The cybersecurity course provides hands-on training in IT networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the programs are part-time, UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skillset.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, virtual tech panels, mock interviews, and one-on-one career coaching. Upon program completion, students will receive an Award of Completion from UC San Diego Extension and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development or data science, or have skills applicable to cybersecurity certifications.

UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.75

all (29) reviews for UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps →

Recent UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationSan Diego
    At the Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UC San Diego Extension, students get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture. The Cybersecurity Bootcamp is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks.
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationSan Diego
    - This program is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Students will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, students will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Full-Stack Flex - Full-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationSan Diego
    The Coding Boot Camp at UC San Diego Extension is a 12-week, full-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationSan Diego
    The Coding Boot Camp at UC San Diego Extension is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.

3 Scholarships

• $500 UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full Stack Flex - Part-Time (San Diego)
    • Full-Stack Flex - Full-Time (San Diego)
  • $500 UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps Scholarship

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (San Diego)
  • $500 UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps Scholarship

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time (San Diego)

• Grant Evans • Software Engineer • Graduate

Overall, I am 100% satisfied with the bootcamp. I’ll give some background about myself to kind of put my experience into perspective. I ended up landing a great job due to the bootcamp, but I believe my background in engineering played a large role as well.

I’ve been coding on a regular basis since around 2011, but it was only with Matlab and VBA. I had tried learning to code real languages (Java, Python, etc) several times, only to get to the point where I understand syntax and how to write a few functions, then lose motivation.. I also tried learning web development on my own, but got to the same point. I was lacking two things:

1.A deep understanding of how all of the languages work together (front end vs back end). I didn’t understand the benefits or even the purpose of each language. I was missing a huge piece of the puzzle.

2.Real projects that I could put my name on and show off on my resume. No employer was going to take me seriously by just having some codeacademy and treehouse tutorials under my belt.

I was growing more and more unenthused about my job, and I knew that coding was my passion. Upon hearing about the UCSD Extension Bootcamp, I think I was enrolled within 24 hours. The main selling points for me were:

1.I didn’t have to quit my job

2.Purpose of the bootcamp was to build your github/portfolio

3.Career assistance once the course was over

I’ll take a page out of Will’s post and discuss pros/cons separately.

Pros:

Projects: The 3 group projects in the course were probably the best things to come out of the bootcamp for me. Literally every single interview I had I was asked to go into lots of detail about each of the projects. The fact that they were coded from the ground up, team projects, version controlled with git, and were deployed. This the full cycle of a real life software (except for testing).

Instructors: Both George Morgan and Brandon Lyon were amazing instructors that I learned a lot from. George has been teaching for many, many years and it shows. He was comparable to (and better than) many professors in the Engineering school at UCSD. The way he would explain difficult concepts was incredibly insightful because of the way he could break it down into simpler high level explanations. I learned an insane amount of information from George about anything and everything coding. He was really accessible before and after class and was always willing to answer broader/off-topic questions about other languages or technologies. Brandon, although having a different teaching style, was a very good professor as well. He helped us learn on our own (valuable skill) by reading docs and doing your own research, which is like the real world.

TAs: Can’t say enough good things about these guys except they probably weren’t paid enough. They were all super helpful and ready on slack all the time.

In class exercises: The in class exercises were exceptional. They broke down difficult concepts/technologies into small chunks where we would complete smaller sections of an app piece by piece. These were probably the most valuable tool for me as they taught proper coding practices on top of learning the content itself.

Career support: Although I landed this job on my own, I learned a TON from Stacey. Her workshops and the guests she brought in throughout the course were really valuable. After the course ended, the constant feed of job leads were also nice coming from the Trilogy recruiter.

Cons:

The curriculum changed throughout the course. Initially we were supposed to spend a couple weeks on other languages such as Java, Ruby, Python, and PHP. I was pretty excited to go through other languages to help me get a better understanding of all of the different languages. I wanted to get a bit of practice with them also, even if we weren’t going to get a lot. However, all of these lectures were scrapped (I think there were 6 total) because the class wanted to focus on ReactJS more. At the time I was incredibly disappointed in this because I wanted some experience with object oriented languages. But after the class ended I dedicated my time to learning object oriented languages and object oriented design, so looking back it’s not as big of a deal to me.

Homeworks:

I think the first 3 homeworks were pretty difficult and they forced us to do a lot of learning outside of class to complete them. However, I’m sure they got a lot of complaints because from there on the homeworks were pretty much copy/pastes from the in-class exercises. They didn’t require much time or effort to complete.

Pace:

I feel like the overall pace of the classes were pretty slow. I feel like I could have spent 30 mins to an hour looking at the in-class exercises and got the same information as the 3 hour lecture. Obviously when we were learning a new technology it was great to be in class to get a high level understanding of the technology, but many lectures provided minimal value.

Overall, I got exactly what I wanted out of the bootcamp. I would take it again if I were to do it over.

Friday, Sep 22 2017
    Hi Grant,

Congratulations on your new job! We’re overjoyed to hear that you had such a constructive and positive experience with our program. We love helping students develop their passion for web development, so it’s excellent to hear that this program provided you with the structure, guidance, and resources you needed to realize your goal of entering this exciting career field.

It’s terrific that your instructor, TAs, and the career services team provided you with the support you needed for successful in this program. We’re constantly updating our curriculum based on student feedback, so we thank you for sharing your thoughts on the course topics.

Thank you so much for this review. We understand this course can be challenging, and we hope you’re proud of all the hard work you put into completing the program. Know that we’re wishing you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
  • David Khalameyzer • Web Developer • Graduate

Having recently graduated, I can say that the bootcamp assisted and played a role in fully transforming my outside interest in tech and innovation into a full-on career in the field. I had aspirations for a long time before taking the course, but it was ultimately the step that I NEEDED to take to advance myself.

If you're worried that you don't have enough of a technical background to get started, FEAR NOT. I started the course quite literally at a blank slate (barely knowing the difference between HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, for reference) and within a few weeks of struggle and patience became "comfortable with being uncomfortable", which is something the instructors always preached. Ultimately, you will gain a lot out of this program if you stick with it and think long-term.

Friday, Aug 11 2017
    Thank you for your feedback, David. We’re thrilled that you have been able to use the skills you gained in this program to turn your interest into a career, congratulations on all of your success!

Our team works hard everyday to help our students achieve their goals in the program, and beyond; so it’s wonderful to hear that you had such a great experience. We hope you’re proud of all of the hard work you put into completing this program. We wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.

• Anonymous • Applicant

This Bootcamp is put on by a company called Trilogy and not UC San Diego. The trilogy team is very inexperienced - just go through the beginning enrollment process and it should be very clear to you. Everyone involved is very careless and unhelpful.

Much better options in San Diego, you'll get a lot more out of another program.

Sunday, Sep 03 2017
    Hi Anonymous, thank you for sharing your feedback. We regret that you were unhappy with your experience applying to the program.

As you note, UC San Diego Extension chose to collaborate with Trilogy Education Services (TES) to develop The Coding Boot Camp. TES is the leading continuing education program manager in the U.S., and has partnered with over 24 top universities to support their efforts. This partnership allows us to tap into TES’ proven framework for helping students learn about the latest technologies in an environment that fosters lifelong learning.

Everyone at The Coding Boot Camp at UC San Diego Extension is extremely passionate about our students and ensuring that they feel valued and supported—from the first admissions phone call and even past graduation. Our admissions team loves to help students as they work to make an educated decision about which boot camp to attend, and we strive to make this the best experience possible. We are sorry that your admissions experience did not meet these expectations.

We would love the opportunity to speak with you again to not only discuss your experience in more detail, but make the situation right. You can reach us at (858) 519-8997.
  • Jiemei Zhang • Graduate

I had nearly no coding experience (a little coding in college 10 years ago) before attending the data visualization bootcamp, after 6 months I can now create a full-stack website with data visuzalization I couldn't imagine 6 months ago. The instructor and TAs are really nice and smart people. Happy to work and learn from them. The course helped me stick to my passion. I recommend everyone to this bootcamp!

Response From: Boot Camp Team of UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps
    Title: Community Team
    Tuesday, Aug 07 2018
    Amazing, Jiemei! We are thrilled you learned the fundamentals of data science through our program - especially with minimal prior experience. It's great to hear you felt supported by our entire instructional team and were happy to learn from them. Thank you so much for your review and congratulations on graduating! We are proud to hear we helped you stick to your passion and wish you all the best with your future endeavors.