uc-san-diego-extension-boot-camps-logo

UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps

San Diego

UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps

UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time web development courses, and 24-week, part-time data science and cybersecurity courses. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git.

The data curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, R programming, JavaScript charting, HTML/CSS, API interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, and more. Enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the programs are part-time, UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, virtual tech panels, mock interviews, and 1:1 career coaching. Upon program completion, students will receive an Award of Completion from UC San Diego Extension and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development or data science, or have skills applicable to cybersecurity certifications.

UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.78

all (33) reviews for UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps →

Recent UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps News

Read all (3) articles about UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps →
  • Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationSan Diego
    The Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UC San Diego Extension is a challenging, part-time boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security. Throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationSan Diego
    This boot camp is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python and R programming, JavaScript charting, SQL databases, Tableau, machine learning, and more. Throughout the boot camp, you will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more — allowing you to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

CSS, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, MongoDB, MySQL, Node.js, React.js, HTML
    LocationSan Diego
    The Coding Boot Camp at UC San Diego Extension is a 12-week, full-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

jQuery, JavaScript, CSS, Git, HTML, MongoDB, MySQL, Node.js, React.js
    LocationSan Diego
    The Coding Boot Camp at UC San Diego Extension is a 24-week, part-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.

3 Scholarships

• $500 UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full Stack Flex - Part-Time (San Diego)
    • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time (San Diego)
  • $500 UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps Scholarship

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (San Diego)
  • $500 UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps Scholarship

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time (San Diego)
  • The Right Choice!
    - 3/24/2021
    Christina S.  User Photo
    Christina S. • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Upon applying to the coding bootcamp (full stack flex - part time), I did not know what to expect.  I knew that I had an interest in coding and was hoping to eventually change careers into this field.  But I had seen mixed reviews everywhere on different bootcamps. Initially I kept wondering if I made the right decision to go into a bootcamp, as well as if I made the right choice in bootcamps.  I was nervous, scared, and continued questioning myself on this decision even into the first few weeks of the program.  After 6 months with my cohort, I could not be more satisfied with how I feel after completing this program!

I learned so much each day, and had great support by my instructional team and peers (I am extremely grateful with how supportive the instructor and TAs were throughout - they definitely helped make this a wonderful experience).  Once it came to our final projects in the last month, I found myself having so much fun with everything!  Being able to end the course by building a full stack web app, encountering all types of challenges and knowing how to face and overcome them, and working with a team that is just as motivated and driven as you made this entire program worth it.

My advice to prospective students:
    1- keep up with the work (6 months seriously goes by super fast and covers a ton of content; stay disciplined to fully get the most out of it - I would study 20+ hours a week outside of class time to grasp each concept and get extra practice in).
    2- utilize all resources (the bootcamp offers great resources, including your instructional team, tutors, and career services to help you with everything; also youtube, udemy, stackoverflow, and google help with reiterating concepts that you may not understand right away).
    3- make connections (you are not alone, and majority of your cohort will have similar feelings through the journey – you all will be nervous, excited, frustrated, passionate, angry – you will get through it all together and it feels great supporting each other).
    4- speak up and reach out (I'm the type that can be very shy, but I knew that if I was going to be successful with this career change, I would need help; I would reach out to my student success manager, career director, and the career material advisors whenever I had questions or needed advice; they were very helpful and were a big part in building my confidence).

I feel confident in being able to take the knowledge that I now have to start my career change to find a job, and will never stop strengthening my skills!
    Friday, Mar 26 2021
    Thank you for sharing your boot camp experience, Christina! We appreciate you choosing our program to pursue your interest in web development and make a career change. It's great to hear you not only benefited from the support of our instructional team but also from your classmates.

Great advice to prospective students—dedicating extensive time both inside and outside of the classroom to mastering the topics covered, utilizing all the available resources, and seeking help when you need it will help you stay ahead and succeed. Congratulations on graduating, we're confident you'll go on to achieve great things with your newfound skillset!
  • Full Stack Bootcamp
    - 12/17/2020
    Nancy  User Photo
    Nancy • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    As with any learning the amount you get out of a program is proportional to the amount of effort you put into your program. This course is designed for people that can be self-directed in researching and learning new code. You have to be curious about tech going into this field, because the ability to research the obscure errors you may encounter is vital to your success in the program and in your new career.

This program currently focuses on MERN stack covering: JS, Node, Express, SQL, Mongo, and React. There is very little time spent on algorithms and writing tests. There is a bit of these subject covered and mentioned in the material but it is up to the student to supplement the learning materials. In some ways I wish these topics were covered in more detail but there are online programs that can help you get these skills regardless of bootcamp.

The program offers an instructor, teaching assistants and a tutor and they provide plenty of support. There is also career support throughout the program and an alumnae Slack to connect with.

Cost wise this was my best option as I couldn't afford to quit work to attend a bootcamp full-time - and finding an online bootcamp was incredibly difficult... until COVID changed everything. This program offered the sweet spot of being associated with a known university, offering live-online classes at night after work hours, and being a shortened program of 6 months - it came in at $10,000

Hopefully all bootcamps will realize that offering an online program helps students develop a vital skill: remote engineering teams need to understand how to collaborate effectively. This program was done on zoom and through slack and our project teams were able to effectively meet up, pair program, and have study group sessions without any issue. I was able to leverage this in the interview process for my job - knowing how to work effectively remotely in a time of COVID was invaluable. I hope this one continues to offer online as an option for future cohorts.

I accepted a promotion to a software engineering position with my current employer as a result of this bootcamp and the skills acquired.

Thursday, Dec 17 2020
    Incredible, Nancy! We're so glad you were able to learn the skills to earn a promotion while adhering to a rigorous, fast-paced learning schedule. You're absolutely right that students who enroll in this boot camp should be ready to work hard and self-motivated to succeed both inside and outside of the classroom, and we commend you for your dedication to the program.

We're thrilled to hear that our online classroom aligned with your personal goals. We strive to provide a real-world professional environment for our learners, and we're so happy that you benefited from the virtual collaboration and overall experience.

Congratulations on completing the boot camp and earning a new title within your company! We wish you all the best on your future endeavors.
  • Rocky  User Photo
    Rocky • Front End Developer, Software Implementation Specialist/Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

UCSD's Extension Bootcamp for Coding will be a highlight that I will remember for the rest of my career.  I just graduated in September 2020 as a part time student.  I came into the background with a slight background in HTML and CSS, and I read a book on basic Javascript concepts prior to starting class.  Having that knowledge prior to starting the program was IMMENSLY helpful because it allowed me to stay one step ahead of whatever the next topic was.  The first month was mostly a review for me, but things really picked up when we got into Node.js and the backend technologies. This program moves FAST, so if you're a slow learner, I'd definitely think hard about signing up.

The only cons is mostly due to the COVID pandemic.  Some of the lessons felt a little under prepared, but I give a ton of grace here because of the given situation.  But overall, if your mind is set on getting into web development, I couldn't recommend this program more highly.

There's so much I can say about this experience, but if you're thinking about doing this, here's what I recommend:

1. Buy a book on HTML, CSS, and Javascript (I recommend the Head First series), and read through all of it before you even think about signing up. Then, build some small, vanilla projects with what you've learned.  If you don't enjoy it or feel like the books are too much, you will struggle a lot through this course.  But if you do this, you'll be one step ahead and have a good grasp on whether or not this field of work is for you.
    2. If you're dating/married, have a serious conversation with your loved one (AND yourself) about the time commitment and set expectations beforehand.  If you actually want to get a job after bootcamp, you'll be spending close to 20 hours a week on average for this course if you're part time. If it's encouraging, I did this with a wife and a 4 month old and about 30-50 hours of part time work in addition to bootcamp.  If I can do it, you can do it.

Here's the awesome part.  Through some serious grinding, networking, and the help of the TAs and instructors (MASSIVE shoutout to Shamira, Beth, Brian, Brandon, and Michael!!!!! Give them all a raise!!!!), now I'm a part time Front End Developer for a startup company in Silicon Valley, and a full-time Software Implementation Specialist/Software Engineer for a startup in San Diego.  I got hired WHILE I WAS IN BOOTCAMP and was able to increase my annual salary by 160% by the time I graduated.

In the end, I definitely recommend UCSD's Extension Bootcamp.
    Friday, Sep 18 2020
    Thank you for your feedback, Rocky. We're thrilled that your boot camp experience was a rewarding one. Your advice for prospective students is great, and we agree — it is a fast-paced and challenging program that requires a significant time commitment. We commend you for your hard work in the boot camp and are glad that you took full advantage of the resources available to you throughout the course. Congratulations on your new role, we look forward to your continued success!
  • Courtney Tucker  User Photo
    Courtney Tucker • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
     I decided to participate in this Bootcamp because web development has always been a passion of mine. I have been self-taught for years, but there are some things that are better learned in an environment like this. The best part of this experience has been the collaboration between the students and the instructor and the TA's. My advice to anyone considering taking this course would be to do your due diligence before starting the course. Have some coding experience under your belt. Don't go into this cold.
    Friday, Mar 20 2020
    Way to go, Courtney! We're thrilled you decided to follow your passion and chose our program to learn the fundamentals of full-stack web development. It's great to hear you benefited from the support of our instructional team as well as your classmates. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! All the best as you move forward.
  • Great Exepreince
    - 8/9/2019
    Luke Graham  User Photo
    Luke Graham • Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Challenging and fast paced.  I feel accomplished after completion.  Great teachers and TAs who were very supportive.  I appreciated alternating teachers with a different class every other Saturday to broaden our perspective on the material

Friday, Aug 09 2019
    Amazing, Luke! We're thrilled you benefited from the support of our instructional team and felt proud of your accomplishments upon successfully completing the program. Congratulations on graduating and all the best in your coding endeavors!
  • Rami Wehbe  User Photo
    Rami Wehbe • Instrcutional Assistant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Hello Everybody,

Its never too late to change! A very brief period can have a huge impact on your futures. Trilogy is offering an amazing opportunity to enable our generation to adapt to the job market evolution. For me, and after six months only, I can confidently say "I am a full stack web developer", where I used to say "I don't know anything about web design".

Catch the train! And don't stay hanging to drain ...

Friday, May 24 2019
    Thank you for your review, Rami! We're happy to hear our program had a significant impact and that you were able to successfully learn the fundamentals of full-stack web development. Congratulations on graduating and best of luck in your future endeavors!
  • Leeland Clenista  User Photo
    Leeland Clenista • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Hello,

My name is Leeland and I am a graduate of the April 2018 cohort for the part time full stack flex program. This program prepared me technically and mentally for my career jump from a restaurant manager to a software engineer. I had no prior experience with coding and I was taught the necessary tools in order to apply to developer positions. The curriculum is top notch and involves a modern tech stack. They go through the MERN stack and there are multiple full stack applications that are built throughout the program. It is crazy to believe that I went from creating a static html page to buidling a React app. The best part about the program is how invested the instructional team are to your success. My instructor prepared us with knowledge and best practices that will be relevant in our job hunt. The TAs are also very knowlegeable and willing to help when you get stuck (Trust me, I got stuck a lot). I believe that those who continue grinding out and work hard will succeed in this program. I had no relevant experience, but I was able to land a job a little over halfway through the boot camp. The instructional team helped me by asking mock interview questions as well as white board questions. It is great that we learn modern technologies, but the difference with this program is that they teach you how to learn and solve problems with code. "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teacha man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime." could never be so true! I would highly recommend this program to anyone trying to make a career switch!

Wednesday, Feb 06 2019
    Thank you for your review, Leeland! We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed the course curriculum and found our entire instructional team to be so knowledgeable. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you continued success in all your future endeavors.
  • Highly Recommended
    - 11/13/2017
    Novia Lim  User Photo
    Novia Lim • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

A well designed and challenging program. Be prepared to work really hard if you want to maximise your investment and you will not be disappointed. I have learned so much in these 24 weeks compared to trying to learn coding on my own. The level of support that I've gotten from my cohort and teaching staff is top notch.

All 3 projects that I've developed during the course are ready to be shown to employers by the end of the program. You will get to learn from scratch to building industry ready full stack projects that will value-add to your portfolio.

Coming from an IT background with around 10 years of data analytics experience, I've never worked as a developer professionally but always wanted to pursue a career in coding. I've landed myself a full-time position as a front-end web developer one month after graduation and this will not be possible without this excellent course.

I'll take the course again in a heartbeat!!! Keep up the good job!!

Tuesday, Nov 14 2017
    Congratulations on your new position as a front-end web developer, Novia! We're glad that you enjoyed your experience with our program. We love hearing that our curriculum, instructors, and TAs helped you to learn many valuable web development skills and that you were able to add value to your portfolio with the projects you completed in this course.

We hope you're proud of all the hard work you put into this program. We're cheering you on as you move forward in your career.
  • Joseph "Goose" Aranez  User Photo
    Joseph "Goose" Aranez • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hello! my name is Goose and I'm a recent graduate from UCSD extension's coding bootcamp  last September 2017. My focus was to learn and challenge my self to become a full stack engineer.  The bootcamp provided me with all the tools and knowledge that I needed to know to achieve my goal of becoming a full stack engineer.  Coming from a CS background with some techincal  profesional experiences in software development, I  still learned tons of professional used technologies and challenged me to think differently.  I tried almost everything to learn how to be a full stack, from online youtube videos, books, udemy classes but I felt that I was copying code instead of learning how to use the concepts.  UCSD extension's coding bootcamp forced me to not only know the syntax and technology but also the proper use of it through homework challenges and projects.  For me my favorite are the projects that we had to start from scratch.  Rather than just copying sample codes, we had to start from ground zero to a working MVP web application. They also thought us how to research and think differently in terms of Computer Science in what algorithm to use and smarter solutions to a problem.  UCSD coding bootcamp also offered career help.  From one on one practice interviews, whiteboarding, up to job search and advice.  When I had trouble finding a job and being intimidated with job descriptions, the career councilor helped me alot from resume revamp , accepting an offer, up to negotiating a pay.  I am now starting a full stack career this November with an awesome starting pay.  Thanks again UCSD extension coding bootcamp.  I hope someday I can be a TA or instructor with my professional experience.

Friday, Nov 10 2017
    Hi Goose,

Congratulations on beginning a new career as a full stack web developer! We're thrilled to hear that you learned so many valuable skills, and had an overall positive experience with this course.

We love hearing that you were able to take advantage of our career services during the program, and we commend you for all of the hard work you put into completing this course. We hope you're proud of all that you have accomplished, we're wishing you continued success as you move forward in your career.
  • Awesome Course
    - 8/8/2017
    Will Hansen  User Photo
    Will Hansen • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I got a ton out of this course, I'll try to highlight some of the best and worst things.

Pros:

1. Top tier instructors. These guys know their stuff and are always extremely helpful. They even began to take pride in us and our coding towards the end lol.

2. TA's have your back. I remember before the class started someone asked something like "how patient are you guys if I can't learn fast enough?" a TA replied "I can stare at a wall for 12 hours and not get bored". This is true.

3. The career support throughout the class is optional, but you'd have to be insane not to opt in. They will teach you skills that will help your career. Even if you aren't looking for a job, you need to take advantage of this knowledge and support. You don't need to wait until the end of the course to start testing your career skills. I was receiving job offers before the class was even over. If you feel ready, tell your career instructor and they will happily point you in the right direction.

4. The class content was amazing. They don't just teach you content, they train you to use your resources to be able to teach yourself. In my opionion this is what being a developer is all about.

5. Academic support. There is an entire group of people dedicated to helping you if you ever start to feel behind, all you have to do is ask. I never took advantage of this perk but I know a few people who got private tutoring sessions.

Cons:

1. The cost. This isn't a cheap course. I was able to justify the cost by thinking of the salary potential. I got a promotion at my work as a result of this course. Because of this I didn't take advantage of the post-course job assistance.

2. The time. You can't get the benefits without effort. You need to dedicate not only time but also a ton of frustrated learning hours. Hang in there.

If you have the time, money, and dedication, this course will teach you skills that you can use for the rest of your career. You get out what you put in so jump in with both feet and be ready to work hard.

Friday, Aug 11 2017
    Congratulations on your promotion, Will! Thank you for providing this detailed review, you make several good points about our program, that are helpful to future students. We’re so glad that you had such a positive experience with this course.

We select our instructors and TAs carefully, to ensure that our students receive the support and attention they require in order to be successful in this program, so it’s excellent to hear that our team is working hard to meet our students’ needs.

We’re thrilled that you benefited from our career services, and enjoyed the curriculum. This course does cover a wide range of topics in a short time period, so we do provide student support in the form of tutoring, office hours, and more, because we strive to provide all of our students with every opportunity for success.

As you mention, this program does require a commitment to learning the material, and may require many hours of studying and practice outside of class. We hope you’re proud of all of the hard work you put into completing this program. We wish you continued success moving forward.

• Minhtuyen Mai  User Photo
    Minhtuyen Mai • Web, Social Media, Graphics, Outreach Specialist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

As a nerd, I've always wanted to learn how to code seriously. There are many coding boot camps in San Diego, but I find this one to be the right price point and a bit cheaper than most (about 2k-3k). It's also part-time during the evening so it fits my busy schedule.

I've already had a Bachelor's and Master's degree in education policy, so I wanted coding to add to my skill set and not just a second Bachelor's in Computer Science.
    The boot camp was a great experience. They really found instructors and TAs who are masters at their coding and software development craft. The most important thing is that there were really patient with me while I attempt to learn some of the basics of HTML/CSS/Javascript. They didn't make me feel stupid at all!

I was also able to find employment due to this program. I can do things like tinker with a github account and know what the heck folks are saying on StackOverflow and other coding help forums.

I also wrote more about my experience here: https://medium.com/@minhtuyen/ucsd-coding-boot-camp-projects-63e3127d4f88

Monday, Aug 07 2017
    Hi Minhtuyen,

Thank you so much for sharing your review, and congratulations on your new employment! It’s wonderful that you had such a positive experience with this program and that the price point, schedule, and curriculum filled your needs.  Our instructors and TAs work hard to support our students as they take on the challenges of this program, so it's wonderful that they provided you with the help you needed in order to be successful in the course.

We loved reading more about your experience on Medium. We’re thrilled to that you have formed lasting connections with students from your cohort, and that you are continuing to work together after the program. We hope you're proud of all of the hard work you put into completing this course, we wish you nothing but the best moving forward.

• Greg Lee Review
    - 8/1/2017
    Gregory Lee  User Photo
    Gregory Lee • Student Verified via GitHub

I thought the bootcamp was overall good. I feel that I learned a lot, and in fact I am going to be TAing for the next session. My only piece of feedback, and something I plan on bringing to my session, is that there should be a little more stratified challenges. I get that it is difficult to cater to each individual student's skill set, however, I think it would be beneficial to the students on both ends of the spectrum to have a little bit of bonus material, to challenge the students who are excelling and to reinforce concepts for students who are struggling.

Wednesday, Aug 02 2017
    Congratulations on becoming a boot camp TA, Gregory! We’re glad that you learned a lot from this program, and we really appreciate your feedback. We realize that not all students learn the course material at the same pace, so we’re thrilled to have you join our staff with your first-hand experience of the student perspective.  We can’t wait to see what you will bring to our program.