SoftStack Factory was a non-profit, part-time coding bootcamp based in San Diego, CA. SoftStack Factory was established in 2015 and helped hundreds of individuals from all walks of life gain exposure to the technology landscape and gain access to new growth opportunities as a coding school.
Recent SoftStack Factory Reviews: Rating 4.94
Recent SoftStack Factory News
SoftStack Factory Reviews
18 reviews sorted by:
- Great Start!- 9/6/2019Dilyara • Student • Student • Course: Web Dev 1 - Intro to Programming • Campus: San Diego • Verified via LinkedIn
SoftStack Factory is a great place to start if you want to learn how to code because this program provides with fundamental knowledge of programming. I had zero knowledge and skills of how to code, but just after a few months I’ve made huge progress and started developing web applications. The instructors are very helpful, they are not going to give you an answer right away, but they will help you come to the right answer yourself. Under their supervision, I saved so much time and struggle. The decision to go through this Bootcamp was the best decision I have ever made.
- Great start for a fraction of the cost- 7/9/2019Daniel • Graduate • Campus: San Diego • Verified via GitHub
SoftStack Factory is a fantastic start for anyone looking to transition to a software development career or just learn some programming basics. I recommend doing some free bootcamp prep course before you start the program so you can be solidifying your fundamentals while going through the first phase. This will really be helpful when you start the second phase, as the MEAN Stack course comes at you fast with a lot of new concepts. From the second phase onwards, you will begin building projects and getting experience with mostly frontend and some backend programming. The final group project gives you a taste of collaborating with a team and building a larger scale application.
This, and I doubt any, bootcamp will have you prepared to enter right into an entry level programming job unless you have previous experience. The class meets Monday and Wednesday from 6-10, which the instructors will usually lecture on new topics and then proceed to giving challenges or time for working on projects. With the limited class time available, it is a program in which the more time and effort you invest in it out of class the more you will learn. The instructors and especially the program director, Peter, are great at steering you in the right direction when you inevitably get stuck. Overall, Softstack has a great learning environment and is an incredible opportunity at only a few hundred dollars, not thousands, to get the bootcamp jump into programming.
- I wish I had found this place sooner...- 1/17/2019Warren Young • Graduate • Campus: San Diego • Verified via GitHub
- It's the beginning of a journey..- 5/19/2018Sayed • Student • Course: Web Dev 3 - Hybrid Mobile App Development with Ionic • Campus: San Diego • Verified via GitHub
Attending this bootcamp was an amazing experience with a very open staff that genuinely want you to succeed. Your welcomed and encouraged to work on your projects in an environment where you can be nudged in the right direction when stuck and instructed on the proper frame in which to think about problems. As with anything, you'll get what you put in. I've asked and been helped by Peter so many times, almost to the point of abuse!
That being said, there will be a lot to learn, even after the bootcamp. If you are comming into development from a non IT/computer science background, prepare to put in a lot of hard work for a significant portion of your life before your ready to take up even a basic entry level role.
While you can learn web development and frameworks on your own, the real value of attending SoftStackFactory lies in the mentorship you'll receive, which will save you a lot of time being stuck.
Those that will benefit the most have an unwavering bright outlook and are passionate about learning any software technology, even if its not part of the curriculum.
- SoftStack is a Unique and Amazing Opportunity- 5/17/2018Dillon Dobson • Viejas Casino Database Marketing • Graduate • Course: Web Dev 3 - Hybrid Mobile App Development with Ionic • Campus: San Diego • Verified via LinkedInSoftStack is a wonderfulgroup that is very successful in giving people the tools they need to get into development/data/IT/tech. This is not a $10,000 bootcamp that promises you a job, it's a group of hard-working people who like learning and teaching. My experience was incredible and gave me the tools to get into a sweet database job (I do a lot of work in SQL, Excel, and Access) by giving me a strong foundation in web development and problem solving. One of SoftStack's biggest strengths, and weaknesses, is that this organization is constantly growing and adapting. This is great because they are learning with each iteration but this can also sometimes lead to confusion and, at times, disorganization. I think it's important that prospective applicants understand how this program differs from the more expensive options and weigh this against what they are looking to gain. I wanted to gain knowledge and options which I eventually capitalized on. Others in my cohort wanted immediate jobs and quit/gave up/got little to nothing out of it. SoftStack is hungry for people willing to learn and caters to them rather than to those who just thought that it might be a job factory development bootcamp. Harold is kind of weird and eccentric but he has brought together some amazing mentors and has the best intentions with this program. Danilo is frickin awesome and Peter is a super hard worker. So much good stuff here and even more potential. Much love to SoftStack and all the homies in my cohorts.
- 6-Month Part Time Full Stack Web Development- 7/11/2019Michael Peterson • N/A • Graduate • Course: Mobile Hybrid App Development • Campus: San Diego
This bootcamp was a bit of a lifesaver, I couldn't manage working a traditional bootcamp AND working my full-time job, yet was dying to know more about coding and programming. This checked all the boxes for me and actually received more when it came to my expectations for such a bargain of a price. I was able to quickly get to coding and begin creating my own web applications in as little as a few weeks. I did go through the entire course regimen and was asked to stay to gain more experience...all without any extra pay from me! I currently just graduated and am actively creating my own projects and portfolio, i couldn't be happier with such a great start.
- Ready to get serious?- 7/9/2019Dusty Best • Graduate • Course: Web Dev 2 - MEAN Stack • Campus: San Diego
When you're done trying to learn on your own through all of the free online resources, this is the place to be. When trying to get up to speed and job ready, this material is where it's easy to hit a wall and find things difficult. The faculty at Softstack will provide the curriculum, but the hard work is still up to you. When you finally succeed after putting in the effort it will be incredibly rewarding. The big difference between Softstack and going it on your own is the faculty. They are clearly invested in their students, and having them available to bounce questions off of when you are actually stuck is great for getting over road blocks. If you're thinking about it, just take the leap and give this place a shot.
- Go here!!!- 3/21/2019Raymond • Graduate • Campus: San Diego
Compared to other bootcamps, SoftStack is practically free, but unlike most free things, there is no catch. The instructors are great and really care about you. It’s a great environment to learn in. Wish they would offer some sort of advanced MEAN Stack course, I would’ve easily stayed another few months. Looking back, I wish they went deeper into backend stuff, but there’s only so much you can cover in the time allowed. There’s no official career services, but they genuinely care about you and try to help you prepare for the job market. If you’re thinking about learning how to code, I don’t see why you would go anywhere else than SoftStack.
- There Really is No Catch- 2/26/2019Ben Martin • Software Engineer • Graduate • Campus: San Diego
I had done a fair amount of research looking for a decent bootcamp that didn't cost an arm and a leg so I was well aware of the average cost of a bootcamp and I was sure that there had to be a catch when I first read about Soft Stack. I can assure you that Soft Stack is real, there is no catch and more than that, the instructors and people who run it are deeply invested in the personal growth of the students and the program as a whole. I would recommend this program a hundred times to anyone who lives in San Diego. The knowlege I gained during this course helped me immediately land a job that I otherwise would not have been qualified for.
- Great Web Development Bootcamp- 1/17/2019Brett Wray • Front End Developer • Student • Course: Web Dev 2 - MEAN Stack • Campus: San Diego
I highly recommend Soft Stack Factory.
I attended the Softstack Factory cohort that started in July of 2018, I found the program on Facebook where someone had recommended it, I applied because the price was right, I had always been anti bootcamp because to me they all seemed to be like the technical schools you hear horror stories about where they push out graduates that end up with a useless piece of paper and no actual job skills.
That was not the experience at SSF. The program at SoftStack is designed to give you the real world skills that you need to be a web developer. While many bootcamps focus mainly on interview prep and helping you build skills for a resume this course teaches you the things that you'll actually need to know in order to be a developer.
My cohort ended in Mid December, one week before my cohort ended I actually accepted a job as a front end developer and had many other very successful interviews.
My advice to anyone looking to attend:
The first portion of the course seems trivial, but it's simply because they're teaching you the skills you'll need in an easy to digest manner, you'll thank yourself for putting max effort into this portion when you advance in the course.
Don't do the minimum - Spend time in addition to class studying more advanced concepts, dive deep into ES6, angular, rxjs etc. The more time you spend studying, the more advanced concepts you look into, the more you'll get out of this program. Not to say that this program falls short, because they fit a lot of content into a short period of time, but you'll really excel if you put in the extra time.
Ask questions in class, don't be afraid, I never asked questions, then I'd be at home doing the projects wishing I had.
What I would change:
Not much, if anything I'd just want the program to be longer.
I took SoftStack Factory MEAN-Stack Bootcamp this year, and it has been an useful and rewarding educational experience.
Course curriculum is the well-structured and provides a solid understanding of core theoretical concepts and their practical applications.
Thank to Peter for his approach to teach the lectures, for all his systematic organization of all materials and actually care about their students. I thoroughly enjoyed the class and got a lot of support.
The course is very intensive and comprehensive. You will create apps using a the MEAN Stack and learn how to build hybrid mobile applications with the Ionic framework.
Join SoftStack Factory and take your skills to the next level!