institute-of-code-logo

Institute of Code

Bali, Puerto Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta

Institute of Code

Institute of Code is a 10-day all-inclusive code retreat at a tropical location where experienced mentors teach HTML, CSS, Javascript and more, enabling students to build beautiful, responsive websites from scratch.

Institute of Code is an intensive program with 60+ hours of coursework, and students will build a resume-boosting portfolio of 2-3 responsive websites by the end of the course.

The code retreat sets their classrooms in luxury villas in spectacular locations, with an in-house chef to keep students fed and massages arranged to keep the productivity levels high; students have nothing to worry about except developing their skills.

The Institute of Code's teacher-to-student ratio is 3 mentors to only 12 students, so students can be sure that they'll get the personal attention to really help them thrive. And because all teachers are actively working in the industry (not full-time teachers), the content students are learning reflects the latest industry standards.

Recent Institute of Code Reviews: Rating 4.9

all (31) reviews for Institute of Code →

Recent Institute of Code News

• Social Media and Content Marketing

LocationBali
    Learn to become a successful social media manager or influencer from experts in the field. Social Media & Content marketing is one of the fastest growing industries, but there is a lot more to it than just posting pretty pictures. In this course we’ll teach you everything you need to know to grow an audience, build influence and actually earn money through social media. You’ll walk away ready to become a social media manager growing other brands, or building your own brand to become a social media influencer or blogger. You’ll be taught by a team of experts in the field, bringing their collective experience to help you not only spend 10 days learning tangible new skills, but also having expert insights into your own personal brand and walking away with the strategies and assets in place to hit the ground running – including a live media kit website, and a project plan.
    Tuition Plans12 month payment plan
    Scholarship$1000 Diversity Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelNo skills required
  • Web Development

HTML, jQuery, CSS
    LocationBali
    Our 10-day bootcamp will take you from little or no experience in coding to being able to confidently create your very own beautiful, responsive websites in no time. You will learn how to use HTML, CSS and jQuery to design, create and build websites from scratch. Rather than working on hypothetical challenges or studying for arbitrary tests, our students are working on real web projects from day one because we know that you learn best by doing.
    Tuition Plans12 month payment plan
    Scholarship$1000 diversity scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelZero experience required
    Prep Work2 full days

• Samantha Cook  User Photo
    Samantha Cook • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had an amazing time at the Mexico session and I am so grateful for the doors opened for me now that I can code! IOC is an amazing company and worth the time and money to go.

• Gus  User Photo
    Gus • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    IOC's immersive experience is great for those wanting to get stuck into the learning. The pre-course work was comprehensive and provided a great deal of knowledge for the actual camp. Being in this amazing villa space for 10 days surrounded by people with similar goals and under mentorship of amazing pros was definitely a key to the success! The mentors are very friendly and helpful and their 4:1 ratio meant I always had someone available to clear my questions, even after hours! I ended up gaining so much confidence not only on the coding aspect but also the business approach, which I think is invaluable for those looking to start a career in this industry! I ended up coding a crazy project in 10 days and the guidance of the IOC team was essential to my success!
  • Ashley  User Photo
    Ashley • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Doing the web development course with IOC was hands down one of the best decisions I've made in my life. I went in with high expectations and was still blown away. Though it sounded like a stretch I expected to learn how to code a website in 10 days, I expected that I'd have an amazing time exploring Bali, I expected that I'd come back with a couple of lifelong friendships. What I didn't expect was just how much i would fall in love with coding, I didn't expect to find myselfvoluntarily getting up at 6am to code by the pool, I didn't expect to walk away with amazing connections to every single person rather than just a couple, and that we'd call ourselves a family. I didn't expect to learn and see and do as MUCH as we did in those 10 days, with full enthusiasm (I also didn't expect the compulsory pre-dinner dance party to shake off the day's coding).

The tutor ratio was perfect, as it didn't matter what pace you went there was always someone to guide you up to speed or take it at your own pace with you. It almost seems like there should be a catch to the ongoing lifetime support promise, but what can I say, it's true that you can reach out anytime! Once you're part of the IOC family you're in it forever ❤️ Thank you Tina & Emilio for putting together such a fantastic course!

• IOC Review
    - 5/11/2019
    Chelsea   User Photo
    Chelsea • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had debating going to IOC for far too long, well over a year. I knew I wanted to launch into a new career somewhere along the lines of website design and development but didnt know exactly which course was for me. In the end, Im so so happy that I decide to go with IOC!

It was an intensive course that covered absolutely everything I needed. Between the pre-course work, the 10 day immersion and the endless ongoing support after the course I have been able to plan, design and successfully launch my own business. This is a career path that I had dreamed of for years!

There was support from morning to night, plenty of mentors around to assist with everything from website design and overall page layout, to the basic code and into a ton of fun transitions and add-ons a few of us had sought out to create for our websites. I defo recommend IOC to anyone wanting to get into website development!

• Melanie  User Photo
    Melanie • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Attending the web development course at the Institute of Code in Bali was one of the best decisions I have made this year. The course itself was incredible and I never thought I would learn so much and actually know how to apply this knowledge afterwards. I tried teaching myself how to code before attending this course but some things never made sense to me and it was hard for me to understand specifics about different coding languages and how they interact with eachother. The mentor - student ration of 1:4 made this course so much better. I always had someone to ask questions and the mentors were always trying their best to explain concepts in a very understandable way until the student really got it and could then also apply it or explain it to someone else. I would highly recommend this course to everyone who is interested in learning how to code and wants to maybe even start their own business.

• Kevin Chan  User Photo
    Kevin Chan • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended an amazing coding retreat in Bali earlier this year with The Institute of Code (IOC) which was founded 2 years ago by Tina May and Emilio Kuzma-Floyd, two entrepreneurs who are committed to help people learn valuable new skills.

IOC has a fantastic formula (10-day intensive courses, accommodation in a luxury tropical villa, excellent healthy and delicious food, and small group mentoring) which I can 100% attest to. I think this accelerates the learning process because you don't have to worry about anything other than focusing on the task at hand, with lots of great R&R thrown in. Best of all, the teachers / mentors were extremely helpful and were always ready to help out, debug code, or share their own real-world business experiences.

I attended their web development course and built a website in 10 days and learned foundational coding skills in HTML, CSS and Javascript. More importantly, the course gave me the confidence to know how to go about things (and what questions to ask and how to find answers!) as everything in this space is very dynamic and always changing. I can now comfortably learn other programming languages on my own. Since the course, I have been developing my own websites and continue to engage IOC's mentors for help and advice.

IOC stands out from other companies offering similar services because once you complete one of their courses, you get access to their mentors and teachers thereafter, as well as to their constantly-updated materials and resources. The various IOC alumni groups also let you connect with a very broad community.

I also met some wonderful people from all walks of life which I also think is a key part of IOC's formula- you don't want to be stuck with people who are all in the same industry or profession, it is much better to learn from different experiences. Many of them have also ended up being good friends which is an added plus!

If you are considering learning how to build a website as an introduction to coding, I highly recommend joining one of IOC's retreats.

• Julia  User Photo
    Julia • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Learning to code in Bali! First I was thinking "where is the catch..". But there is none!

IOC offers exactly what you find on their channels. An amazing experience with like-minded people. You get to learn how to code in an amazing environment surrounded by great mentors, who are always there for you (even at 11pm, when you're still excessively coding). ;)

Beeing a student in that kind of environment, with the IOC team to help wherever they can, is the best way to learn! I never made such a progress in such a short time! At now I am able to build my own websites from scratch!

I would do it all over again!

Thank you IOC for this great experience and teaching me how to code!

• Antonia  User Photo
    Antonia • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I did a HTML/CSS/JS bootcamp in May and it has - no exaggeration - changed my life. I've been trying online coding courses for ages, but the value of this is that it's intense and well-supported. I learnt more in the first two days than I had managed with all the online courses I had done. Plus the setting is spectacular. Mentors work with you on what interests you, so even if the class has different interests and goals, you can really get a lot achieved. I highly recommend it!

• Jamie • Graduate

The course was everything I was hoping for and more. It’s amazing how the little details such as having full time staff, 3 delicious meals per day and the comfort of the most luxurious villa, make such a massive difference to your learning experience. You can tell that the Institute of Code are seasoned professionals when it comes to holding bootcamps here in Bali. The 10 day course, which was taught with a 1 mentor for every 3 for student ratio, was life changing. I now possess the skills to build a brand new blog from scratch which is invaluable in an industry which has high competiton. Not only that i have a tangible skill to start my own wev development business from anywhere in the world. Could not recommend this bootcamp highly enough

• Kara W. • Graduate
    Wondering whether you should commit to the Institute of Code’s 10-day web development bootcamp in Bali? Based on my personal experience, I can say to anyone who might be wavering: GO.

I am especially talking to anyone in their 30s, 40s, or 50s (and even beyond); please do not let your “advanced” age stop you from going—coding is not just for twenty-somethings! As one of the older students on the course, my age (49) was a total non-issue. In fact, I found that my "wealth of experience" actually bolstered my ability to grow as a coder.

Enrolling in the IOC web dev bootcamp is one of the most rewarding decisions I have made in recent years: Learning to build websites and gaining an insider's knowledge of web development has not only helped me better navigate and manage my web-based design and communications projects, it has also opened up opportunities to earn extra money building websites.

Need more reasons to go? The course is taught by genuinely good, talented experts eager to share their coding knowledge and help you succeed; the lovely villa in Canggu provides a comfortable, relaxed learning environment; and along with those useful coding skills, you will likely pick up a few lifelong friends too.

One of the biggest benefits of doing the in-person course? The unlimited, lifetime support provided by IOC mentors. Being able to reach out to a friendly, patient expert (hey, Dan!) with any sort of coding question—big or small—is both a safety net and an inspiration.
  • Katie Smith • Chef/Entrepreneur

I did the 10 day coding bootcamp last year and it was honestly one of the best things I’ve done! The whole team are amazing and you are looked after well. The food is next level, and being a chef I have high expectations, but seriously, the food was a highlight for me. A lot of thought has gone in to the meals and even the snacks. You definitely won’t go hungry! I had no previous coding experience and was surprised how quick I picked it up and how much I remember now even after nearly a year of completing the course. The mentors make it really easy to learn and understand. I’m so so glad I invested in this course, and the fact that it’s in Bali is just the icing on the cake. Highly recommend if this is something you’re thinking of doing.

• Great experience!
    - 5/10/2019
    Kasia • Student

A life-changing experience! Coming to Bali was an impulsive decision for me but I couldn't be happier that I decided to join IOC. Firstly, I feel like I made friends for life - never expected to meet such an amazing group of individuals (both students and the staff members) and bond so quickly. Secondly, this was the best learning experience I've ever had - studying in a beautiful villa, surrounded by friends, sharing outings to the most beautiful locations in Bali, having some of the most delicious food ever and being taught by the most patient, helpful and friendly teachers (Brit, Dave, Dan! <3). I can't describe in words how great of a manager and person Morgan is - it felt like there is nothing this beautiful woman couldn't do! Not only did she take care of all our needs during the retreat, but also supported and helped me when I got sick in Bali after the course had finished. Grace, our yoga instructor and retreat manager, is an inspiration for me - such a beautiful person inside and out. Terry made sure that the booking process went super-smoothly and there were no questions left without answers. Tina and Emile were such welcoming and friendly hosts that I'm sure I'll be convincing all my friends to come and study with IOC as well. Justyn was a smiling angel who was a great addition to our team :)

All of the above helped me to find a new passion and hopefully a future career I love, as well as make incredible friends, and possibly find a future home. SO worth it! :)

• Christina • Student

The 10 day coding course with IOC is awesome! I had no coding experience at all and after just 10 days had built 3 websites and decided to make a complete career change after 10yrs in another industry. The course is structured so well with a good mix of learning and some down time to process what you're learning, the villa was beautiful and the food incredible! The IOC team and the mentors were all so supportive and the ongoing support is a great help! My favourite part of the course was meeting the amazing people that were all there for different and inspiring reasons! I would definitely recommend this course to anyone thinking about learning code for any reason, the environment IOC have created to learn is perfect!