institute-of-code-logo

Institute of Code

Bali, Puerto Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta

Institute of Code

Institute of Code is a 10-day all-inclusive code retreat at a tropical location where experienced mentors teach HTML, CSS, Javascript and more, enabling students to build beautiful, responsive websites from scratch.

Institute of Code is an intensive program with 60+ hours of coursework, and students will build a resume-boosting portfolio of 2-3 responsive websites by the end of the course.

The code retreat sets their classrooms in luxury villas in spectacular locations, with an in-house chef to keep students fed and massages arranged to keep the productivity levels high; students have nothing to worry about except developing their skills.

The Institute of Code's teacher-to-student ratio is 3 mentors to only 12 students, so students can be sure that they'll get the personal attention to really help them thrive. And because all teachers are actively working in the industry (not full-time teachers), the content students are learning reflects the latest industry standards.

Recent Institute of Code Reviews: Rating 4.9

all (31) reviews for Institute of Code →

Recent Institute of Code News

• Social Media and Content Marketing

Start Date November 1, 2020
    LocationBali
    Learn to become a successful social media manager or influencer from experts in the field. Social Media & Content marketing is one of the fastest growing industries, but there is a lot more to it than just posting pretty pictures. In this course we’ll teach you everything you need to know to grow an audience, build influence and actually earn money through social media. You’ll walk away ready to become a social media manager growing other brands, or building your own brand to become a social media influencer or blogger. You’ll be taught by a team of experts in the field, bringing their collective experience to help you not only spend 10 days learning tangible new skills, but also having expert insights into your own personal brand and walking away with the strategies and assets in place to hit the ground running – including a live media kit website, and a project plan.
    Tuition Plans12 month payment plan
    Scholarship$1000 Diversity Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelNo skills required
    November 1, 2020 - Bali Apply by September 1, 2020
  • Web Development

HTML, jQuery, CSS
    Start Date November 15, 2020
    LocationBali
    Our 10-day bootcamp will take you from little or no experience in coding to being able to confidently create your very own beautiful, responsive websites in no time. You will learn how to use HTML, CSS and jQuery to design, create and build websites from scratch. Rather than working on hypothetical challenges or studying for arbitrary tests, our students are working on real web projects from day one because we know that you learn best by doing.
    Tuition Plans12 month payment plan
    Scholarship$1000 diversity scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelZero experience required
    Prep Work2 full days
    November 15, 2020 - Bali Apply by September 15, 2020
  • Christina • Student

The 10 day coding course with IOC is awesome! I had no coding experience at all and after just 10 days had built 3 websites and decided to make a complete career change after 10yrs in another industry. The course is structured so well with a good mix of learning and some down time to process what you're learning, the villa was beautiful and the food incredible! The IOC team and the mentors were all so supportive and the ongoing support is a great help! My favourite part of the course was meeting the amazing people that were all there for different and inspiring reasons! I would definitely recommend this course to anyone thinking about learning code for any reason, the environment IOC have created to learn is perfect!

• Katherine • Graduate

If you're a graphic designer and you have dismissed coding as 'too hard' (even though we know it's a big part of our profession's future) then don't worry, IOC is not like the web development subject at design school:

1. You won't have other commitments pulling at your time/attention.
    2. The lessons are modern, relevant and practical.
    3. There is plenty of one-on-one help and,
    4. You'll walk away feeling much more capable and empowered as a designer.

If you feel like coding will help your design career, and if you're feeling a little burnt-out and in need of inspiration than this course will help.

• Wairimu M

I attended IOC Web Dev bootcamp in November 2018 and it exceeded all expectations I had. From the pre-course work that we received before we arrived, customer service support when I had a gazillion questions and finally getting to the magical location where we were hosted for 10 glorious days.

As someone who had minimal experience in web debelopment, we were quickly brought up to speed and had deep dives into how to develop a website. All from the first day. It was the most immersive and practical experience and there were tutors to take you through the course materials at your own pace.

Aside from the learning, they offered us a tranquil environment, the most amazing food made in-house by Balinese chefs that allowed us to focus and enjoy Bali. In a nutshell, it met all my expectations and then some! I would definitely recommend this programme for anyone looking into becoming a web developer.

• Jared Mason • Student

I completed Institute of Code's web dev bootcamp in 2018 and it was the highlight of my year! I already had a background in graphic design but had only learnt some basic CSS prior. The online course pre-work was super helpful and made me confident that I could get my head around coding in the 10 days the bootcamp runs for. What I didn't expect was how incredible the location was when I arrived. Tina and Emilio who founded IOC have gone to great lengths to create an enivornment for learning that would make Finland jealous! The huge villa were the course is held is absolutely beautiful, spacious and luxurious. And the food, oh my the food — just incredible.

The course is well paced, and offers ample time for catch up if you get in over your head. The mentors are a huge help and come from all over the world to help pass on their experience to everyone. I never would have expected to have a working understanding of web development in 10 days but IOC delivered.

I also met some amazing people and stay in touch with them still. But most importantly, this year I have started my freelance business as a full fledged web designer. It's also worth mentioning that Tina and her team and the huge group of alumni offer limitless support once you have left Bali to help solve problems both technical and emotional. Couldn't recommend anything more highly.

If you are reading this, back yourself and make the most of this opportunity. I'm so glad that I did!

• Angels • Graphic & Web Designer • Graduate

I'll be straight-forward: attending IOC's Web Development Bootcamp last December was one of the best investments I've ever made in my career. Or I should say the best. I don't even know where to start. The villa was a dream come true and the food was unbeatable (I've been addicted to smoothie bowls for breakfast since then), and the extra activities came perfect to help our brains loosen up after a day of full-on learning. Tina and her team had the vision of making us feel the best so we could absorb as much as possible in the classes. And guys, did that happen! We were taken care of like queens and kings. And the learning atmosphere was just intense (in the best way possible)!

I had decided to re-focus my career to graphic design and website creation (which I always loved), so it could suit my OLN (Only Laptop Needed) nomadic lifestyle. IOC's Bootcamp provided me not only with knowledge about coding, but also it empowered me with the confidence to start freelancing and with the resources to keep expanding my knowledge and multiplying my possibilities as a designer and developer. It's only been 2 and a half months since I attended IOC's bootcamp, and I've already launched my freelancing business and am working with 3 clients. And this is just the start.

If I they run the Advanced version of the Web Dev Bootcamp, I'd be the first one to sign in!

• Anja • Student

The Institute of Code has this amazing ability to bring a group of strangers together from all walks of life and unite them with a common goal and give them a solid foundation of coding to take with them. By the end of the 10 days you will not only have a new skill but also an amazing global community of friends. There are few times in life I’ve experienced such a beautiful and tranquil learning experience. I walked away from the 10 days with confidence  and inspiration to continue to build my knowledge. The course opened my mind to new opportunities and inspiration for my next step. I’m currently working on building a freelance web development business.

• Daffodil • Graduate

2017 would be so different for me if I didn't go on this amazing intensive coding bootcamp with Institute of Code. I remember being nervous in enquiry emails because I had zero coding knowledge, but Terry assured me before I took the plunge that I didn't need any experience and that it was all setup to help us learn and support us in every way possible.

Set in beautiful Bali... in a beautiful villa... catered food (thank you for catering wonderful vegan meals).. a fridge full of assorted beverages... it was the perfect environment for learning to code. If I had tried to learn this back in Sydney, amongst full time work and life in general ... I don't think I would have come away with the passion and knowledge that I have now for code. Tina, Emile and the IOC team are the most supportive, patient and inspiring people and mentors. You will surprise yourself with how much you can learn in 10 days! A true self esteem booster! :)
    An experience I'll never forget with fellow students and mentors I'm still friends with today! Looking forward to joining future courses! <3 Love you IOC!

• CJ • Graduate

My 10 day web development course with IOC, in Bali, went above and beyond my expectations. I was a bit nervous as to what to expect with the entire setup of the trip. However, my nerves were laid to rest from the moment I left out of the airport and saw my name being held up by my driver. He wasn't just any driver that picked me up, he was one of our drivers during our entire stay. I was truly a newbie to coding outside of healthcare, so if I can learn basic coding in about 7-8 days, you can as well. Overall, everything was thoroughly planned and arranged to my liking. Good balance of work then play! We were able to see and explore a great deal of the country. The mentors were very helpful! Thanks IOC!

• Erica • Digital Marketer • Graduate

I attended the Institute of Code's February 2017 bootcamp in Bali. I'm not the type of person who can just switch off and relax by the pool, so for me, it was the perfect balance of travel experience and professional development. Code hard, play hard.

The venue, course structure, content, mentors, follow up support and my fellow classmates all exceeded my expectations.

I built a site in 10-days that I'm now using to run a new business stream, and am about to start building another for a client's business. I've also learnt valuable skills about the fundamentals (and some advanced techniques) in HTML, CSS and JavaScript that I've been able to apply daily in other web work and troubleshooting etc on existing sites.

It was genuinely the best investment I've ever made in my professional development, and in myself. I will be forever grateful to Tina and her team.

• Samantha • CEO @ welltraveled.io • Graduate

Prior to attending IOC, I wasn't really sure what I was doing. I was overworked in the advertising world and felt very burnt out. One day, I had had enough. I quit my comfy agency job and decided to attend IOC, not sure of what I would find when I got there, not even sure if I would like coding or what it really entailed.

When I arrived in Bali, I was met graciously, and enthusiastically, by the IOC staff. They immediately made me feel at home in the villa, despite the jet lag. The first day of course work, we were fully immersed in these new and exciting languages. We were shown the back bones of websites and what made them work. The agenda was exciting, challenging, and at times frustrating. It was never boring though, and I was captivated by this new online world I was being exposed to.

Later in the course, you're separated into groups to work on your project. While I didn't work as closely with my assigned mentor, other mentors and staff members were always there to help. At the end, everyone showed off their projects. While everyone had moments of frustration throughout the course, everyone was proud of the work they had done by the end. People were coding up until the very last minute possible.

Overall, the course was nothing short of life changing for me. Yes, I was introduced to this new, interesting coding world, but more importantly, I spent 10 days surrounded by inspiring people. People who wanted to do nothing else but improve themselves. People who were motivated to learn and grow. Being in an environment, away from home and friends and distractions, and bonding with new people from all over the world, is something you can't get anywhere else. I am so grateful for my experience at IOC and would recommend it to anyone.

• Haley • Consultant • Graduate

Attending the Institute of Code was the best decision I've ever made.

I booked my spot for IOC the week before the course started. From my original enquiry, the staff helped me with every question I had, even if they didn't know the answer in that moment. I was excited to learn a new skill and meet new, like-minded people - and my expectations were blown away!

The entire program is absolutely fantastic. Coding seemed daunting but the mentors made learning code easy. It was so nice to have a small class with access to highly-qualified mentors.  The website mentions completing 2-3 websites but I think 1-2 is more realistic. About half of our group was able to finish one website and move on to a second.

Multiple activities were included in the tuition, whether it be a cycling tour, paddle boarding, surfing, acro yoga, etc.  You also get to meet and hang out with incredible individuals from all over the world. Everyone is attending for a similar reason and it's great to be surrounded with open, friendly and like-minded people.

The program was relatively new but seemed like they had been running for ages. I never had to worry about anything - transportation, food, accommodation, etc - it was all taken care of.

I still can't believe the value for my money. A luxury villa with a pool, all meals, multiple activities, a massage and an immersive education. If you are thinking of investing in yourself, I couldn't recommend a better way to do it than with the Institute of Code.  ​

• Tinna • Graduate

I've been considering a career change for quite some time and had my eyes on learning to code. While this course did not land a new career (that's probably too big of an ask for such a short program), it was a good first step. It was incredibly encouraging to come back after ten days and be able to code a responsive website from scratch. A definite boost of confidence and motivation that I needed to continue learning!

I'm not a big risk taker when it comes to my career and sense of security. However, on a whim and motivated by my love of new experiences, I signed up to traverse the globe to spend ten days living in a villa with complete strangers in order to learn a thing or two about web development. And I'm really glad that I did. It was as awesome and as cool as it sounds! I loved getting to know different people from all different walks of life during the course.

From the get go, there's an emphasis on flexibility and open-mindedness, and I think it's what drew me to the program. The ideal candidate for this type of program is one who can roll with the punches and who loves learning and trying new things.

The curriculum is mostly HTML/CSS and a little bit of Javascript/jQuery. The mentors are incredibly patient and encouraging. I felt like they really worked hard at not only teaching us the material but also helping us to learn to use resources to figure out problems on our own. The fact that you're working, eating, playing and living with everyone really facilitates a close-knit environment.

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of activities outside of coding made available to us. We worked/learned hard and then played hard too!

I did experience a few snags along the way, but nothing to cause worry. I know the program is still so new. Hopefully, they will continue improving, especially since there are plans to expand to other locations!

Would 100% recommend the program (and already have friends signed up for other dates)!