institute-of-code-logo

Institute of Code

Bali, Puerto Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta

Institute of Code

Institute of Code is a 10-day all-inclusive code retreat at a tropical location where experienced mentors teach HTML, CSS, Javascript and more, enabling students to build beautiful, responsive websites from scratch.

Institute of Code is an intensive program with 60+ hours of coursework, and students will build a resume-boosting portfolio of 2-3 responsive websites by the end of the course.

The code retreat sets their classrooms in luxury villas in spectacular locations, with an in-house chef to keep students fed and massages arranged to keep the productivity levels high; students have nothing to worry about except developing their skills.

The Institute of Code's teacher-to-student ratio is 3 mentors to only 12 students, so students can be sure that they'll get the personal attention to really help them thrive. And because all teachers are actively working in the industry (not full-time teachers), the content students are learning reflects the latest industry standards.

Recent Institute of Code Reviews: Rating 4.9

all (29) reviews for Institute of Code →

Recent Institute of Code News

• Social Media and Content Marketing

LocationBali
    Learn to become a successful social media manager or influencer from experts in the field. Social Media & Content marketing is one of the fastest growing industries, but there is a lot more to it than just posting pretty pictures. In this course we’ll teach you everything you need to know to grow an audience, build influence and actually earn money through social media. You’ll walk away ready to become a social media manager growing other brands, or building your own brand to become a social media influencer or blogger. You’ll be taught by a team of experts in the field, bringing their collective experience to help you not only spend 10 days learning tangible new skills, but also having expert insights into your own personal brand and walking away with the strategies and assets in place to hit the ground running – including a live media kit website, and a project plan.
    Tuition Plans12 month payment plan
    Scholarship$1000 Diversity Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelNo skills required
  • Web Development

HTML, jQuery, CSS
    LocationBali
    Our 10-day bootcamp will take you from little or no experience in coding to being able to confidently create your very own beautiful, responsive websites in no time. You will learn how to use HTML, CSS and jQuery to design, create and build websites from scratch. Rather than working on hypothetical challenges or studying for arbitrary tests, our students are working on real web projects from day one because we know that you learn best by doing.
    Tuition Plans12 month payment plan
    Scholarship$1000 diversity scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelZero experience required
    Prep Work2 full days

• Ashley  User Photo
    Ashley • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Doing the web development course with IOC was hands down one of the best decisions I've made in my life. I went in with high expectations and was still blown away. Though it sounded like a stretch I expected to learn how to code a website in 10 days, I expected that I'd have an amazing time exploring Bali, I expected that I'd come back with a couple of lifelong friendships. What I didn't expect was just how much i would fall in love with coding, I didn't expect to find myselfvoluntarily getting up at 6am to code by the pool, I didn't expect to walk away with amazing connections to every single person rather than just a couple, and that we'd call ourselves a family. I didn't expect to learn and see and do as MUCH as we did in those 10 days, with full enthusiasm (I also didn't expect the compulsory pre-dinner dance party to shake off the day's coding).

The tutor ratio was perfect, as it didn't matter what pace you went there was always someone to guide you up to speed or take it at your own pace with you. It almost seems like there should be a catch to the ongoing lifetime support promise, but what can I say, it's true that you can reach out anytime! Once you're part of the IOC family you're in it forever ❤️ Thank you Tina & Emilio for putting together such a fantastic course!

• IOC Review
    - 5/11/2019
    Chelsea   User Photo
    Chelsea • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had debating going to IOC for far too long, well over a year. I knew I wanted to launch into a new career somewhere along the lines of website design and development but didnt know exactly which course was for me. In the end, Im so so happy that I decide to go with IOC!

It was an intensive course that covered absolutely everything I needed. Between the pre-course work, the 10 day immersion and the endless ongoing support after the course I have been able to plan, design and successfully launch my own business. This is a career path that I had dreamed of for years!

There was support from morning to night, plenty of mentors around to assist with everything from website design and overall page layout, to the basic code and into a ton of fun transitions and add-ons a few of us had sought out to create for our websites. I defo recommend IOC to anyone wanting to get into website development!

• Melanie  User Photo
    Melanie • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Attending the web development course at the Institute of Code in Bali was one of the best decisions I have made this year. The course itself was incredible and I never thought I would learn so much and actually know how to apply this knowledge afterwards. I tried teaching myself how to code before attending this course but some things never made sense to me and it was hard for me to understand specifics about different coding languages and how they interact with eachother. The mentor - student ration of 1:4 made this course so much better. I always had someone to ask questions and the mentors were always trying their best to explain concepts in a very understandable way until the student really got it and could then also apply it or explain it to someone else. I would highly recommend this course to everyone who is interested in learning how to code and wants to maybe even start their own business.

• Kevin Chan  User Photo
    Kevin Chan • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended an amazing coding retreat in Bali earlier this year with The Institute of Code (IOC) which was founded 2 years ago by Tina May and Emilio Kuzma-Floyd, two entrepreneurs who are committed to help people learn valuable new skills.

IOC has a fantastic formula (10-day intensive courses, accommodation in a luxury tropical villa, excellent healthy and delicious food, and small group mentoring) which I can 100% attest to. I think this accelerates the learning process because you don't have to worry about anything other than focusing on the task at hand, with lots of great R&R thrown in. Best of all, the teachers / mentors were extremely helpful and were always ready to help out, debug code, or share their own real-world business experiences.

I attended their web development course and built a website in 10 days and learned foundational coding skills in HTML, CSS and Javascript. More importantly, the course gave me the confidence to know how to go about things (and what questions to ask and how to find answers!) as everything in this space is very dynamic and always changing. I can now comfortably learn other programming languages on my own. Since the course, I have been developing my own websites and continue to engage IOC's mentors for help and advice.

IOC stands out from other companies offering similar services because once you complete one of their courses, you get access to their mentors and teachers thereafter, as well as to their constantly-updated materials and resources. The various IOC alumni groups also let you connect with a very broad community.

I also met some wonderful people from all walks of life which I also think is a key part of IOC's formula- you don't want to be stuck with people who are all in the same industry or profession, it is much better to learn from different experiences. Many of them have also ended up being good friends which is an added plus!

If you are considering learning how to build a website as an introduction to coding, I highly recommend joining one of IOC's retreats.

• Julia  User Photo
    Julia • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Learning to code in Bali! First I was thinking "where is the catch..". But there is none!

IOC offers exactly what you find on their channels. An amazing experience with like-minded people. You get to learn how to code in an amazing environment surrounded by great mentors, who are always there for you (even at 11pm, when you're still excessively coding). ;)

Beeing a student in that kind of environment, with the IOC team to help wherever they can, is the best way to learn! I never made such a progress in such a short time! At now I am able to build my own websites from scratch!

I would do it all over again!

Thank you IOC for this great experience and teaching me how to code!

• Antonia  User Photo
    Antonia • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I did a HTML/CSS/JS bootcamp in May and it has - no exaggeration - changed my life. I've been trying online coding courses for ages, but the value of this is that it's intense and well-supported. I learnt more in the first two days than I had managed with all the online courses I had done. Plus the setting is spectacular. Mentors work with you on what interests you, so even if the class has different interests and goals, you can really get a lot achieved. I highly recommend it!

• Samantha Cook  User Photo
    Samantha Cook • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had an amazing time at the Mexico session and I am so grateful for the doors opened for me now that I can code! IOC is an amazing company and worth the time and money to go.

• Kara W. • Graduate
    Wondering whether you should commit to the Institute of Code’s 10-day web development bootcamp in Bali? Based on my personal experience, I can say to anyone who might be wavering: GO.

I am especially talking to anyone in their 30s, 40s, or 50s (and even beyond); please do not let your “advanced” age stop you from going—coding is not just for twenty-somethings! As one of the older students on the course, my age (49) was a total non-issue. In fact, I found that my "wealth of experience" actually bolstered my ability to grow as a coder.

Enrolling in the IOC web dev bootcamp is one of the most rewarding decisions I have made in recent years: Learning to build websites and gaining an insider's knowledge of web development has not only helped me better navigate and manage my web-based design and communications projects, it has also opened up opportunities to earn extra money building websites.

Need more reasons to go? The course is taught by genuinely good, talented experts eager to share their coding knowledge and help you succeed; the lovely villa in Canggu provides a comfortable, relaxed learning environment; and along with those useful coding skills, you will likely pick up a few lifelong friends too.

One of the biggest benefits of doing the in-person course? The unlimited, lifetime support provided by IOC mentors. Being able to reach out to a friendly, patient expert (hey, Dan!) with any sort of coding question—big or small—is both a safety net and an inspiration.
  • Katie Smith • Chef/Entrepreneur

I did the 10 day coding bootcamp last year and it was honestly one of the best things I’ve done! The whole team are amazing and you are looked after well. The food is next level, and being a chef I have high expectations, but seriously, the food was a highlight for me. A lot of thought has gone in to the meals and even the snacks. You definitely won’t go hungry! I had no previous coding experience and was surprised how quick I picked it up and how much I remember now even after nearly a year of completing the course. The mentors make it really easy to learn and understand. I’m so so glad I invested in this course, and the fact that it’s in Bali is just the icing on the cake. Highly recommend if this is something you’re thinking of doing.

• Great experience!
    - 5/10/2019
    Kasia • Student

A life-changing experience! Coming to Bali was an impulsive decision for me but I couldn't be happier that I decided to join IOC. Firstly, I feel like I made friends for life - never expected to meet such an amazing group of individuals (both students and the staff members) and bond so quickly. Secondly, this was the best learning experience I've ever had - studying in a beautiful villa, surrounded by friends, sharing outings to the most beautiful locations in Bali, having some of the most delicious food ever and being taught by the most patient, helpful and friendly teachers (Brit, Dave, Dan! <3). I can't describe in words how great of a manager and person Morgan is - it felt like there is nothing this beautiful woman couldn't do! Not only did she take care of all our needs during the retreat, but also supported and helped me when I got sick in Bali after the course had finished. Grace, our yoga instructor and retreat manager, is an inspiration for me - such a beautiful person inside and out. Terry made sure that the booking process went super-smoothly and there were no questions left without answers. Tina and Emile were such welcoming and friendly hosts that I'm sure I'll be convincing all my friends to come and study with IOC as well. Justyn was a smiling angel who was a great addition to our team :)

All of the above helped me to find a new passion and hopefully a future career I love, as well as make incredible friends, and possibly find a future home. SO worth it! :)

• Christina • Student

The 10 day coding course with IOC is awesome! I had no coding experience at all and after just 10 days had built 3 websites and decided to make a complete career change after 10yrs in another industry. The course is structured so well with a good mix of learning and some down time to process what you're learning, the villa was beautiful and the food incredible! The IOC team and the mentors were all so supportive and the ongoing support is a great help! My favourite part of the course was meeting the amazing people that were all there for different and inspiring reasons! I would definitely recommend this course to anyone thinking about learning code for any reason, the environment IOC have created to learn is perfect!

• Katherine • Graduate

If you're a graphic designer and you have dismissed coding as 'too hard' (even though we know it's a big part of our profession's future) then don't worry, IOC is not like the web development subject at design school:

1. You won't have other commitments pulling at your time/attention.
    2. The lessons are modern, relevant and practical.
    3. There is plenty of one-on-one help and,
    4. You'll walk away feeling much more capable and empowered as a designer.

If you feel like coding will help your design career, and if you're feeling a little burnt-out and in need of inspiration than this course will help.

• Wairimu M

I attended IOC Web Dev bootcamp in November 2018 and it exceeded all expectations I had. From the pre-course work that we received before we arrived, customer service support when I had a gazillion questions and finally getting to the magical location where we were hosted for 10 glorious days.

As someone who had minimal experience in web debelopment, we were quickly brought up to speed and had deep dives into how to develop a website. All from the first day. It was the most immersive and practical experience and there were tutors to take you through the course materials at your own pace.

Aside from the learning, they offered us a tranquil environment, the most amazing food made in-house by Balinese chefs that allowed us to focus and enjoy Bali. In a nutshell, it met all my expectations and then some! I would definitely recommend this programme for anyone looking into becoming a web developer.

• Jared Mason • Student

I completed Institute of Code's web dev bootcamp in 2018 and it was the highlight of my year! I already had a background in graphic design but had only learnt some basic CSS prior. The online course pre-work was super helpful and made me confident that I could get my head around coding in the 10 days the bootcamp runs for. What I didn't expect was how incredible the location was when I arrived. Tina and Emilio who founded IOC have gone to great lengths to create an enivornment for learning that would make Finland jealous! The huge villa were the course is held is absolutely beautiful, spacious and luxurious. And the food, oh my the food — just incredible.

The course is well paced, and offers ample time for catch up if you get in over your head. The mentors are a huge help and come from all over the world to help pass on their experience to everyone. I never would have expected to have a working understanding of web development in 10 days but IOC delivered.

I also met some amazing people and stay in touch with them still. But most importantly, this year I have started my freelance business as a full fledged web designer. It's also worth mentioning that Tina and her team and the huge group of alumni offer limitless support once you have left Bali to help solve problems both technical and emotional. Couldn't recommend anything more highly.

If you are reading this, back yourself and make the most of this opportunity. I'm so glad that I did!

• Angels • Graphic & Web Designer • Graduate

I'll be straight-forward: attending IOC's Web Development Bootcamp last December was one of the best investments I've ever made in my career. Or I should say the best. I don't even know where to start. The villa was a dream come true and the food was unbeatable (I've been addicted to smoothie bowls for breakfast since then), and the extra activities came perfect to help our brains loosen up after a day of full-on learning. Tina and her team had the vision of making us feel the best so we could absorb as much as possible in the classes. And guys, did that happen! We were taken care of like queens and kings. And the learning atmosphere was just intense (in the best way possible)!

I had decided to re-focus my career to graphic design and website creation (which I always loved), so it could suit my OLN (Only Laptop Needed) nomadic lifestyle. IOC's Bootcamp provided me not only with knowledge about coding, but also it empowered me with the confidence to start freelancing and with the resources to keep expanding my knowledge and multiplying my possibilities as a designer and developer. It's only been 2 and a half months since I attended IOC's bootcamp, and I've already launched my freelancing business and am working with 3 clients. And this is just the start.

If I they run the Advanced version of the Web Dev Bootcamp, I'd be the first one to sign in!

• Anja • Student

The Institute of Code has this amazing ability to bring a group of strangers together from all walks of life and unite them with a common goal and give them a solid foundation of coding to take with them. By the end of the 10 days you will not only have a new skill but also an amazing global community of friends. There are few times in life I’ve experienced such a beautiful and tranquil learning experience. I walked away from the 10 days with confidence  and inspiration to continue to build my knowledge. The course opened my mind to new opportunities and inspiration for my next step. I’m currently working on building a freelance web development business.

• Daffodil • Graduate

2017 would be so different for me if I didn't go on this amazing intensive coding bootcamp with Institute of Code. I remember being nervous in enquiry emails because I had zero coding knowledge, but Terry assured me before I took the plunge that I didn't need any experience and that it was all setup to help us learn and support us in every way possible.

Set in beautiful Bali... in a beautiful villa... catered food (thank you for catering wonderful vegan meals).. a fridge full of assorted beverages... it was the perfect environment for learning to code. If I had tried to learn this back in Sydney, amongst full time work and life in general ... I don't think I would have come away with the passion and knowledge that I have now for code. Tina, Emile and the IOC team are the most supportive, patient and inspiring people and mentors. You will surprise yourself with how much you can learn in 10 days! A true self esteem booster! :)
    An experience I'll never forget with fellow students and mentors I'm still friends with today! Looking forward to joining future courses! <3 Love you IOC!

• CJ • Graduate

My 10 day web development course with IOC, in Bali, went above and beyond my expectations. I was a bit nervous as to what to expect with the entire setup of the trip. However, my nerves were laid to rest from the moment I left out of the airport and saw my name being held up by my driver. He wasn't just any driver that picked me up, he was one of our drivers during our entire stay. I was truly a newbie to coding outside of healthcare, so if I can learn basic coding in about 7-8 days, you can as well. Overall, everything was thoroughly planned and arranged to my liking. Good balance of work then play! We were able to see and explore a great deal of the country. The mentors were very helpful! Thanks IOC!

• Erica • Digital Marketer • Graduate

I attended the Institute of Code's February 2017 bootcamp in Bali. I'm not the type of person who can just switch off and relax by the pool, so for me, it was the perfect balance of travel experience and professional development. Code hard, play hard.

The venue, course structure, content, mentors, follow up support and my fellow classmates all exceeded my expectations.

I built a site in 10-days that I'm now using to run a new business stream, and am about to start building another for a client's business. I've also learnt valuable skills about the fundamentals (and some advanced techniques) in HTML, CSS and JavaScript that I've been able to apply daily in other web work and troubleshooting etc on existing sites.

It was genuinely the best investment I've ever made in my professional development, and in myself. I will be forever grateful to Tina and her team.

• Samantha • CEO @ welltraveled.io • Graduate

Prior to attending IOC, I wasn't really sure what I was doing. I was overworked in the advertising world and felt very burnt out. One day, I had had enough. I quit my comfy agency job and decided to attend IOC, not sure of what I would find when I got there, not even sure if I would like coding or what it really entailed.

When I arrived in Bali, I was met graciously, and enthusiastically, by the IOC staff. They immediately made me feel at home in the villa, despite the jet lag. The first day of course work, we were fully immersed in these new and exciting languages. We were shown the back bones of websites and what made them work. The agenda was exciting, challenging, and at times frustrating. It was never boring though, and I was captivated by this new online world I was being exposed to.

Later in the course, you're separated into groups to work on your project. While I didn't work as closely with my assigned mentor, other mentors and staff members were always there to help. At the end, everyone showed off their projects. While everyone had moments of frustration throughout the course, everyone was proud of the work they had done by the end. People were coding up until the very last minute possible.

Overall, the course was nothing short of life changing for me. Yes, I was introduced to this new, interesting coding world, but more importantly, I spent 10 days surrounded by inspiring people. People who wanted to do nothing else but improve themselves. People who were motivated to learn and grow. Being in an environment, away from home and friends and distractions, and bonding with new people from all over the world, is something you can't get anywhere else. I am so grateful for my experience at IOC and would recommend it to anyone.

• Haley • Consultant • Graduate

Attending the Institute of Code was the best decision I've ever made.

I booked my spot for IOC the week before the course started. From my original enquiry, the staff helped me with every question I had, even if they didn't know the answer in that moment. I was excited to learn a new skill and meet new, like-minded people - and my expectations were blown away!

The entire program is absolutely fantastic. Coding seemed daunting but the mentors made learning code easy. It was so nice to have a small class with access to highly-qualified mentors.  The website mentions completing 2-3 websites but I think 1-2 is more realistic. About half of our group was able to finish one website and move on to a second.

Multiple activities were included in the tuition, whether it be a cycling tour, paddle boarding, surfing, acro yoga, etc.  You also get to meet and hang out with incredible individuals from all over the world. Everyone is attending for a similar reason and it's great to be surrounded with open, friendly and like-minded people.

The program was relatively new but seemed like they had been running for ages. I never had to worry about anything - transportation, food, accommodation, etc - it was all taken care of.

I still can't believe the value for my money. A luxury villa with a pool, all meals, multiple activities, a massage and an immersive education. If you are thinking of investing in yourself, I couldn't recommend a better way to do it than with the Institute of Code.  ​

• Tinna • Graduate

I've been considering a career change for quite some time and had my eyes on learning to code. While this course did not land a new career (that's probably too big of an ask for such a short program), it was a good first step. It was incredibly encouraging to come back after ten days and be able to code a responsive website from scratch. A definite boost of confidence and motivation that I needed to continue learning!

I'm not a big risk taker when it comes to my career and sense of security. However, on a whim and motivated by my love of new experiences, I signed up to traverse the globe to spend ten days living in a villa with complete strangers in order to learn a thing or two about web development. And I'm really glad that I did. It was as awesome and as cool as it sounds! I loved getting to know different people from all different walks of life during the course.

From the get go, there's an emphasis on flexibility and open-mindedness, and I think it's what drew me to the program. The ideal candidate for this type of program is one who can roll with the punches and who loves learning and trying new things.

The curriculum is mostly HTML/CSS and a little bit of Javascript/jQuery. The mentors are incredibly patient and encouraging. I felt like they really worked hard at not only teaching us the material but also helping us to learn to use resources to figure out problems on our own. The fact that you're working, eating, playing and living with everyone really facilitates a close-knit environment.

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of activities outside of coding made available to us. We worked/learned hard and then played hard too!

I did experience a few snags along the way, but nothing to cause worry. I know the program is still so new. Hopefully, they will continue improving, especially since there are plans to expand to other locations!

Would 100% recommend the program (and already have friends signed up for other dates)!

• Ibrahim Cetinkaya

I toke the course because I wanted to learn about WebDev and learn how to make some of my own projects a reality.

The course was so refreshing to just meet people from so many different walks of life that do almost completely different things and are at different stages of their life, yet we all learnt skills were so valuable e to all of us in the directions we were heading.

I expected the mentors to be more like teachers in a high school where they would probably just teach us some skills and go back to whatever they decide to do in their own time but they were such nice people that went out of their way to make connections with you and teach you not just what they knew but how to find the resources for yourself when you need because the world of WebDev is just so gigantic that even if the course ran for one whole year we wouldn't be able to pick everything up. Kind of like the 'Teach a man how to fish' analogy.

We spent alday learning in an immersive environment where the skills we were being taught we could use immedietly and we had 3 or 4 mentors always there commenting on different ways to go about different things which was great because it let us have a 360 view on things from different perspectives and we found our preferred styles of coding.
    Then we spent all night hanging out and doing pre-arranged activities and seeing the beautiful place that was Bali, almost everything we did was worthy of an instagram photo (By that I mean EVERYTHING we did or saw was so unique, beautiful and memorable).
    I don't even want to write about the stuff we got upto so as not to ruin it for future groups.

All in all I'de definately recommend the trip to anyone I know thats even slightly interested in WebDev to take the course and learn some new skills, meet some great people and have an experience that you won't ever forget.

The whole experience in itself will open your mind and teach you how to take any skill, business idea or even just a hobby or interest you have and use it in conjunction with the world of Web Development to take it to a whole new level, connect with new people and turn it into something that you had no idea was even possible before hand.

• Uh-mazing
    - 3/7/2016
    NayNay • Student

The IOC Coding bootcamp was absolutely brillant. What an incredible way to gain a new skill. It was paradise to be removed from everyday life and focus on growth. The amazing staff orchastrated everything for us so all we had to do was relax, soak in new things and have fun. Plus, so grateful for the chance to meet new friends from all over the world. Would 100% recommend.

• Bec • Content Producer • Graduate

Doing this course was quite an impulsive decision for me, but it’s one of the best I’ve ever made :) I had so much fun, I met some great people, I learned a lot, and I feel really proud of what I can now create.

I went there knowing the very basics of HTML and CSS but I'd never built anything from scratch before, and I couldn't really believe we'd have the skills after 10 days to make a complete responsive website – but by the end of the trip everyone had something really awesome to show for their work. Now I feel like I can make something that looks pretty good and professional, and I'm really excited to keep building on my skills.

All the mentors and staff were really lovely, and I felt very supported and encouraged. The lessons were really laid back and informal, and there was plenty of time for everyone to ask questions and get one-on-one help.

And as well as being a worthwhile learning experience, it was heaps of fun. With everyone staying in the villa together it started to feel like a family pretty quickly, and somehow there was lots of time in between classes for splashing in the pool and going on excursions to do paddle boarding, surfing etc. The villa was lovely, the food was delicious, light and healthy, and overall it felt like being on a holiday, even though we were also working hard.

So thank you to Tina and co. for being so awesome and creating this opportunity :) I really recommend this retreat to anyone who wants to learn new skills in a beautiful place with fun people.